Cicada Days
Winner

May 27th, 2015, 3:42 am #11

Make a circle, make a circle...

"Summertree? Never heard of." Nate wasn't completely alone in that regard, at least. While Irene could be counted on to have twenty questions worth of useless trivia knowledge at any given time it was rarely actually applicable. A few more chairs were hobbled over to the circle, Irene unceremoniously dumped one besides Coleen's most recent acquisition. "Mmm." Jane had asked her a question. She barely avoided holding up traffic as her hands scrounged through the little crevasses on her pants, but she came up empty handed. Honestly, why had she even bothered? Girl jeans in her fit barely had room for air in their pockets, let alone actual items. "Either I didn't bring or I left in my bag. Which I either forgot either in the locker room or in Mr. Dukoff's class." Schrodinger's acting exercise, possibly never to be found again.

"I think you guys should do Jane's thing though, it sounds funsies." Irene fumbled with one of the final chairs necessary, trying to bear hug the back of the chair to her chest. "Nate can show us his legendary improv swag, eeeyyy." Again, she did genuinely admire most of her peers in the class for at least some facet of their talent. It was a good crew they had this year, occasional casting slip ups aside. Back in her day getting cast meant going uphill to school both ways. Wait, hadn't most of these guys been there Freshman year too?
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
"C'mon! It's just a prank, bro."

- Memories - 1 - Pregame - 1 2 3 4
Unofficial Theme : 'When it's clear to everybody I'm always the last to know.'
Extra art by Mimi! (1)
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
Sprite credit to Yugikun (Beryl Mahelona, Gyu-ri Christensen, and Demetri Fustcher) and Fenris (Charelle Chernyshyova, Ramsey Cortez, and Joanne Coleman).
[+] spoiler
Character Relationships (no longer updated)
Hero | Swap
[+] spoiler

B036 - Dead
(Adopted from Yugikun)
[+] spoiler
"And you were the one looking to pick a fight. Don't complain when you don't get the one you want."
- Memories - 1 2 3 4 5 - Pregame - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 - Sadie Hawkins - 1 2
[+] spoiler
"Hope that's good enough."
- Arsenal - Bag of dried chipotle chilies (LOST)
- Island - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
- Meanwhile - 1 2
[+] spoiler

G047 - Dead
[+] spoiler
"It's Tina."
- Memories - 1 - Pregame - 1 - Sadie Hawkins -
[+] spoiler
"You're nothing."
- Arsenal - The 'Man Catcher' (LOST)
- Island - 1 2
- Meanwhile - 1
- ??? - 1
Sprite credit to Fenris (Ben Fields) and Yugikun (Tina Luz).

MK Kilmarnock
Mr. Danya

May 28th, 2015, 1:35 am #12

Now that the other three had revealed their assignments, Coleen slowly came to acknowledge the pit of uneasiness welling up in her stomach. "Oh shoot guys," she said. "I, uh... I think I might have misunderstood what we were supposed to bring."

Nate, Jane and Irene had all brought interactive stuff, scenes you were supposed to do with more than one person, maybe have some fun with it. On the other hand, what Coleen had brought was, as she said, a soliloquy. She figured they were all just supposed to bring in a sample script and recite it to the best of their ability, but if the task was to bring something for a scene with multiple characters, then... it was a little hard to have a soliloquy with more than one person when the whole point was for one person to talk to nothing.

"Since, you know, it's kind of a solo scene that I brought..." Coleen tapped the tips of her index fingers together in front of her. "It's that scene from Summertree where this soldier, um, is leaning against a tree and dying."
[+] spoiler
Jerry Fury - The man, the myth, the legend
Coleen Reagan - The girl who half-loved the world
[+] spoiler
V5 Roster:
Cody Patton : That bitch.
Sean Mulcahy : The world was kind to reprieve him of his fear...
Jessica Sanders: She hoped it would be quick...
[+] spoiler
20:17Sideliner:Toben and Ricky are like a sibling version of the Joker and Batman, only Batman is just as much of a mass murderer. He just hides it better.
19:58LaurelsHow does your dick smell like Fritos?
14:36 MimiI THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE FRIENDS > 14:36MimiI THOUGHT YOU REALLY LICKED HER

Espi
Winner

May 30th, 2015, 2:48 am #13

"Aw, thanks for the vote of confidence Irene." Jane said it to Irene, but she smiled at Coleen. Now that she thought more on it, she was pretty sure she'd seen that movie before somewhere. Where? Who knew. Probably grandpa watching it some time. He'd always liked that kind of old movie crap. But anyway, poor thing. Coleen was so insecure it made Jane wince. She ought to have some confidence, Jane figured. Confident but humble, or whatever.

"It's cool, we were just supposed to do practice stuff I think. No big deal." Moving around the rest of the drama club, Jane took a seat at the circle, facing towards the whiteboard at the front of the room and set her bag down on the ground next to her. It was a decent turnout so far, which was nice; Jane hated seeing the numbers dwindle, it felt like a sad balloon deflating.

Still, hopefully more people showed up. A four-man club sounded about as pathetic as a one-man band concert turnout. That is, pretty damn pathetic. Damn, that was a simile from hell. "So should we take a vote on whose we do, or wait around for more people?"
V5: Cut Short
Theodore Fletcher
Nina Clarke
Gwen O'Connor

V6: Broken Down
Alice Baker (->Aura)
Henry Spencer
Blair Moore

V7: Unprepared
Rhonda Lawson[/b
Toby Underwood
Paloma Salt

Slam
Mr. Danya
Slam
Mr. Danya

May 31st, 2015, 3:44 pm #14

Nate found himself smiling bashfully as Irene sung praises of his improv skills. ‘Legendary’ was probably overstating it, and it’s not like he did it deliberately or anything; it was just a coping tool for him, after all. Still, he didn’t mind the praise.

“I mean, Jane’s thing does sound fun and all.” He didn’t lie as debate over which scene passed between the club members, since he actually had a few ideas on how to spin the four words already. It wasn’t as if he could only use improv to save face when he tripped on a line and nothing else.

“And it’s not that I don’t think it’d be a great soliloquy,” he turned to Coleen “but it’s a soliloquy after all. Maybe we could do it later?” He was trying to be diplomatic, but truthfully it sounded a little heavy, particularly without the scene’s whole context. Maybe if he’d seen the movie it’d come across as more appealing, but listening to a dying soldier just seemed like it might be a bit of a downer to start off on.

He looked down at the script in his hand again. It’s not like they couldn’t do his scene later too, and it wouldn’t be fair to ask Coleen to wait and then insist on doing what he wanted. Besides, he still needed to read the intro over a few more times before he could claim to be ready to do it in front of the rest of the club.

“I’d be alright to do Jane’s first.” Nate half-shrugged, still keeping an eye on Coleen in the hope that she didn't look too disappointed. “We could always start now and then start again if someone shows up.” He found himself glancing at the door as he spoke, as if someone would respond to the cue and enter the scene.

MK Kilmarnock
Mr. Danya

June 2nd, 2015, 9:34 pm #15

((In light of recent events, Cicada is removed from the post order so I'm next.))

"Yeah, okay, let's all do Jane's then," Coleen said. It still kind of hurt that she had misunderstood the assignment, but that sort of thing happened. She could probably rummage through her drama folder and pick something else out that was serviceable, even if that was cheating just a bit. Such a thing would penalize her in an actual class, not here.

"That looks to be all the chairs too," she said, turning her head to scan the room. She had a couple fingers on her neck just under her ear so she could feel her neck pop... satisfying, every time. They had finally, using most of the chairs in the classroom, formed a large circle with a generous space in the middle where performances could take place. There was, of course, a small hole so they could get in or out without jumping or crawling. There was one time where they forgot to do that. Coleen didn't like remembering about that day.

"And um, I don't think we're getting anybody else so... should we start?"
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
V5 Roster:
[+] spoiler
20:17Sideliner:Toben and Ricky are like a sibling version of the Joker and Batman, only Batman is just as much of a mass murderer. He just hides it better.
14:36 MimiI THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE FRIENDS > 14:36MimiI THOUGHT YOU REALLY LICKED HER

Espi
Winner

June 4th, 2015, 11:10 pm #16

Jane was glad her fellow drama clubbers had decided her idea was best. It was a nice ego boost to know other people appreciated your ideas. She took a moment to privately bask in her tiny ray of glory before getting to work. "Cool! We'll do mine first, then we can do yours if we still have time." Jane said brightly before moving to the center of the circle of chairs.

While Jane was proud she had found a good story, there was a tiny issue; she had no clue what to do now that it wasn't selected.

She was...not entirely sure how this ought to be laid out. The four-words-only gimmick was cool, but it did require a degree of setup and planning. Jane was good at planning, but that didn't mean she could spontaneously make a character and scene in like three seconds. "Yes, no, please, banana", starring Jane Madison, was not likely to be featuring in Broadway, that much was obvious.

"So hey, any ideas for how this should go? Wanna just jump into it or what?" Jane looked over at the rest of the group, hoping her confident stance covered for her sudden burst of 'now what'.
Theodore Fletcher
Nina Clarke
Gwen O'Connor

Alice Baker (->Aura)
Henry Spencer
Blair Moore

Rhonda Lawson[/b
Toby Underwood
Paloma Salt

Slam
Mr. Danya
Slam
Mr. Danya

June 10th, 2015, 4:13 pm #17

Jane seemed to have more or less taken charge of the meeting at this point, and Nate was happy to follow her lead. He found himself stepping into the middle of the circle, looking between the girls to see who was going to join him first.

“I can start us off, I have an idea in my head anyway.” He said, just looking again to make sure no-one was going to object to him getting the ball rolling.

Yes, no, please, banana. Easy to remember, easy to work with. Well, maybe easy was overstating it, but he’d got a decent idea for how he wanted the scene to go in his head. He had to be prepared for Jane or Coleen, depending who joined him first (or maybe both?) to take the scene in a different direction, but wasn’t that the point of the whole exercise?

Placing himself in his imagined role, he began to mime stacking boxes and playing with a cash register. He had no clue if what he was trying to do was obvious to the girls, but hopefully when one of them joined to greet him the scene would become more transparent. Or maybe the girls would just completely misinterpret what he was trying to do, and they’d get a whole new scene. Or maybe they'd take it from an angle he hadn't even thought of all together.

MK Kilmarnock
Mr. Danya

June 12th, 2015, 7:06 am #18

Looks like they would be starting now. Coleen would have been happy for something to do and not just be standing there talking with everybody what what they were going to play, just so long as she had any idea what they were supposed to do. Was Nate the person who said 'yes', 'no', 'please' and 'banana?' Was she the person who was only supposed to say 'yes', 'no', 'please' and 'banana'? Was Jane supposed to be the person who said 'yes', 'no', 'please' and 'banana'? Were they ALL supposed to say it!? How does that even work?

Coleen wanted to ask so badly, but didn't want to admit being unclear on the directions. A strange sense of pride and shame was washing over her, afraid of the reactions she might get from the others. Having already decided that she couldn't simply jump into the scene but also couldn't ask what to do directly, she came to the conclusion that she would have to play it safe. To that end, she turned to Jane.

"Um... you first," Coleen said with a smile. "I... want to get a better hand on this first. I'm not usually good at improv!"
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
V5 Roster:
[+] spoiler

Espi
Winner

June 22nd, 2015, 9:04 pm #19

((Sorry guys, I got confused on the posting order ><))

Well luckily Nate jumped right in, doing...something. Jane took a moment of watching him in the circle, but after he started miming the cash register she caught on pretty quickly. She was used to working the register at the theater, so it was pretty clear to her. Coleen asked her to start off, though. That might be an issue.

See, remember how Jane liked drama club, but preferred backstage? Yeah, she was not the best of actresses. This was problematic, because usually she could step aside during rehearsals and practices and such. But not now. So she needed to suck it up and do the thing.

Still, best to play it cool. Trying to make herself smile in a way that didn't resemble a grimace, Jane stepped forward. Okay, cashier, the four words, what could she do with that? Jane paused for a couple moments, then stepped forward towards Nate.

The scene set itself in her mind. Nate was working with a cash register at...let's go with convenience store. Yeah. So he's working at the register, when suddenly a woman appears! She walks in aggressively, storming up to the counter with a finger gun. Yet, instead of Jane's finger gun, the woman was holding a real gun. This was a robbery.

So Jane walked forward, her finger gun aimed at Nate's face, and she tilted her head towards the invisible cash register. Gave him a look, nodded at him. Silent, but efficient. No words necessary.

Hopefully.
Theodore Fletcher
Nina Clarke
Gwen O'Connor

Alice Baker (->Aura)
Henry Spencer
Blair Moore

Rhonda Lawson[/b
Toby Underwood
Paloma Salt

Slam
Mr. Danya
Slam
Mr. Danya

June 23rd, 2015, 3:09 pm #20

Nate pulled a shocked face at the turn of events, though it was only part acting and more actual surprise. A robbery had never even crossed his mind when he was trying to come up with a scene, and now here he was at the end of a finger gun barrel! Point to Jane for coming up with it!

He threw his hands up in the air, praying not to be shot in his store that he’d looked after all these years. Who would look after all his customers and sell them their bargain priced deals, or take care of cleaning the aisles and stocking the shelves? Who would look after his family?!

“No! No no no!” he pleaded, looking back and forth between the cash register and the crook that wanted his hard earned cash.

“Please!” he said to the robber, eyes darting around in hopes that maybe someone outside the store, such as a blonde woman with a talent for singing, was seeing everything and calling the police right now. Or that maybe some brave soul inside the shop itself was sneaking up behind the crook with a bottle of whisky ($25) to whack them over the head with and save the day. Anything to get him out of this mess!

He felt his eyes welling up with dry tears. Not today, not on his son’s birthday of all days!