The Play-by-Post Sessions

Little Boy
Contender

May 29th, 2012, 7:26 pm #1

This is an idea that I've been kicking around for while, so let me try to pitch it to you guys.

Picture you're average table-top RPG. Dungeons and Dragons, Shadowrun, Savage Worlds, etc. Now anyone who has played tabletop rpgs knows that it's a very creative platform. However one of the problems that I always found was that it's a type of game where when you're frequently describing it to a friend, your cool story is quickly followed by "Ah, you shoulda' been there."

The problem is, table-top RPGs are usually limited to groups of four or five. Outside that circle, people won't understand why it was funny that your Gnome got drunk and pissed in the town fountain, because they don't know the set-up to the event that makes it especially humorous in the first place. Likewise, it's hard for someone out of that group to understand just why your Paladin's death was so meaningful, because they haven't been around for the previous sessions and experienced his growth and character development.

Play-by-Post sessions is part Comic, part Let's Play and part Tabletop RPG.

Basically, what I'm looking for is 3-4 dedicated players, who'd be willing to join a forum based play-by-post RPG on the forum Mythweavers. For those who don't know, Mythweavers is a place online /kinda/ like Survival of the Fittest. You write posts in character, but rather than fights and choices being decided by the players, it's resolved by a dice rolling mechanic, just like in a tabletop role-playing game. Mythweavers was picked for two reasons:

1) It's hella easy to navigate
2) The forum is built so that if you edit dice rolls, your post is flagged. cheating is impossible.

Basically, we'd play a game. More than likely a one-shot at first, just to see how this little idea of mine goes. System and setting are at the moment too be determined.

The end result however, will be something like this:
http://i.imgur.com/geyP3.png

(Of course, fully colored and not created in ten minutes as an example)

When the game ends it will be compiled into a comic book, the pages looking like the above. It goes without saying that the players will get a place in the credits, and probably the option to write short blurbs about the game, their character, or whatever, within the comics pages.

From then on... who knows? There are several ways this idea can go. However if it is completed into it's entirety, I will personally get copies professionally printed and sent to all the players, for free.

At the moment, I've got one other player who's interested, Jackson (Monster Mash on here). We haven't picked the DM as of yet... Might be me, might not. Depends on the system, depends on the players. Suggestions for systems/settings are more than welcome, and all will be considered equally. Keep in mind however that due to being in an online format, slower than a RL game, certain games such as Dungeons and Dragons would be a lot more work.

So, what do you guys think?
V5

Oswaldo Marx --> "Chicks dig scars? Yeah, I'm calling bullshit." --> Cicada Nights
Mikko "Mike" Korhonen --> "Interesting, very interesting!" --> A Casual Question
V4 / Mini's
[+] spoiler

Jay Holland > "If I just smile, I guess they'll think it's all okay." ESCAPED
Jimmy Brennan > H&K CAWS (12 gauge) > "Step through that door and underestimate me, just like all the rest!" > PLACED: 22 / 276
Roland Harte > Kris > " This is, for all intents and purposes, my war now." > PLACED: 150 / 276
Orn "Dutchy" Ayers > Harpoon > "I fell in a puddle..." > PLACED: 98 / 276

Abby Erickson > Claw Hammer > "I get tired easy, so maybe the big sleep would be good for me." PLACED: 27 / 53
Brett Torres > Raven Arms MP-25 (.25) [x4 clips (6 round capacity)] 17/24 /// Stoner 63 (5.56x45mm) [(150 rounds per Drum)] 300/300 > "Bloodthirsty little bunch, ain't we?"
Jonas Jeffries > PINK TEAM > MAC-10 [x8 clips (30 Round Capacity)] 30/30 > " 'ow doo I make the muggafuggin' kh-chg noibs?!" PLACED: 31 / 66
wrote:"My dick did the Mexican Hat Dance and I had to suppress the moan that wanted to escape." - Casey
NOTE TO SELF: Burns on the left side. LEFT SIDE.

Badb
Mr. Danya

May 29th, 2012, 7:28 pm #2

I am SO down for this (I was before but now I am MORE DOWN FOR THIS.)

e: I suggest Shadowrun or Pathfinder, system-wise.
V5:
B035 - [color=EF98AA]Ray Gilbert[/color] - DECEASED - Guy Fawkes Mask - Too Far Gone
G029 - Zoe Leverett - DECEASED - Machete - To Really Be Alone, To Pick At All the Bones
[/spoiler]
wrote:[18:10] <Laurels> WWJD? Fuck corpses, apparently
wrote:[15:16] <Naft> My college once nearly burned down because someone tried to make a bong out of dollar bills and the fire alarm didn't work

Namira
Mr. Danya

May 29th, 2012, 7:31 pm #3

I wouldn't mind giving this a bash.

SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!
[+] spoiler
13:58 Gianni Oh come on you broke someone's heart
13:59 Gianni you are proud, not embarrassed
13:59 Christian Yes
13:59 Christian Be proud
13:59 Christian Do we not all strive to break a human soul?
[+] spoiler
Vincenzo/a 'Vinny' 'Enzo' Gatti | DO IT FOR THE VINE.
Toby 'Noodle' Andreasson | :|
[+] spoiler
G008 - Kammy So'oialo | wants a new script
G062 - Becca Everett | was a damn superstar
G071 - Sunshine Cho Lee | trusted
[+] spoiler
G026 - Rosalia Fiametta | Found it. | Walkie Talkies
G014 - Yelizaveta 'Bounce' Volkova | Out of here | Gasoline
B060 - Brock Mason | Thump. Thump |
G029 - Kristina 'Kris' Hartmann | Put Down. | Drama Bombs [&#8734;], M79 Grenade Launcher [x6 grenades]
G117 - Jessie Anderson | Still Smiling | Faith

Deamon
Mr. Danya
Deamon
Mr. Danya

May 29th, 2012, 7:32 pm #4

I am teh interested.
Forrest Quin - At the Zoo
Bret Carter - On a date
Aliya Kimia Nemati - In Training
Arizona - Practicing
[+] spoiler
Kimiko Kao - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775;
Travis "Trav" Lynch - &#9822; - &#9822; - &#9822; - &#9822; - &#9822; - &#9822; - &#9822;
Cameron Herrig - &#937; - &#937; - &#937;
[+] spoiler
Gray Emerson - "No. We don't follow."
Yasmin "Yaz" Carroll - "I don't really have a plan anymore."
Christopher Harlin - "You can look me in the eyes and shoot me."

Skraal
Player
Skraal
Player

May 29th, 2012, 7:34 pm #5

I'd like to participate.
[+] spoiler
Cards

Characters:
Timothy Abrams
Weapon: Replica Flamethrower
Current Status: Deceased
Kyle Fitzpatrick
Weapon: Bulletproof Vest
Eliza Patton (Adopted from laZardo)
Weapon: M-1 Garand
[+] spoiler
Cards

Characters:
Oliver Lacroix Current Status: Alive
William "Bill" Dover Current Status: Alive
Salvatore "Sal" Bonaventura Current Status: Alive
Scott Fischer Current Status: Alive

CondorTalon
Player

May 29th, 2012, 7:35 pm #6

I'd be interested in this.
[+] spoiler
V6:
G009 - Sandra Dyer - Pot lid - [untitled]
G023 - Jennifer Su - Flashlight - Asymptote
G036 - Nancy Kyle - Hatchet - &#19981;&#23433;&#24515;

V5:
G024 - Yukiko Sakurai - Weed whacker with circular saw attachment - Sunrise
B048 - Corey Esposito - Swedish Made Penis Enhancement Pump - Something Something Movie Reference

V5 Pregame:
Miriam Castille - "U-Um... well, see... I-I seemed to have misplaced m-my books..." - In Transit - It Was Just A Drink
[+] spoiler
Felix Rees
Camellia "Cammy" Walker-Grimsley
Sachi Kobayakawa
Dane Lennox
Catherine Zier
Malcolm Hong
Victoria Tran
Bethany Sadler

KamiKaze
Winner

May 29th, 2012, 7:41 pm #7

Interested, mates.

I can't help wondering what would happen if we did FATAL, though. That'd be like several layers of NSFW. So probably not FATAL. XD
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."
[+] spoiler
In Loving Memory Of Those Killed In The 2008 SOTF
Carol Burke- Female Student #015- A good friend.
Remy Kim- Male Student #080- Yet another victim of the system.
Aileen Borden- Female Student #022- It's going to be okay.

In Loving Memory Of Those Killed In The 2012 SOTF
Alexandria "Alex" Ripley- Female Student #002- Sometimes your life is meant to be a warning to others.
Lana Torres- Female Student #039- Technically, she died happy.
Miranda Millers- Female Student #019- Doomed by self-fulfilling prophecy.

In Loving Memory of Those Killed in the 2015 SOTF
Jennifer Wallace- Female Student #055- Good night, and good luck.
Junko Kurosawa- Female Student #041- Experienced a thrill to die for.
Emma Luz- Female Student #022- Sweet dreams.

....?
Anna Chase- Female Student #010- And then she lived happily ever after.
[+] spoiler
For v6, I have come to a decision. To help lessen character pimping, I have vowed not to talk about my characters, any characters closely related to mine, or any threads I've been involved in, in any of the following places:

- Chat
- General Discussion thread
- TV Tropes
- Random Thoughts

I am not allowing myself to talk about anything relating to my characters or scenes I'm in unless they are brought up in conversation by another handler. I am not allowed to use my characters' names OOC or mention anything relating to that character until another handler mentions them. This is not currently in effect for pre-game; these self-imposed rules do not apply until v6 starts. However, they will be in effect the second v6 is announced. When one of my characters die, escape, or are otherwise removed from the game, these rules are lifted for that character, and I am free to talk about that character as much as I want. However, the others will have to wait until they too are out of the game.

This is a personal promise I'm keeping to myself for v6. If I break it, please feel free to bitch me out.

-KamiKaze

Addendum as of v6: I may ask for critiques while a character's arc is ongoing, as long as someone has offered to do so.
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

Little Boy
Contender

May 29th, 2012, 7:44 pm #8

Iiiiii am going to rule out FATAL for obvs reasons XD

Pathfinder is a system I know, but would need to read a few times more to fully understand.

On the rules-lite side of things, I'd suggest Warrior, Rogue & Mage, simply because it's free, easily found online, and really easy to learn and run.
V5

Oswaldo Marx --> "Chicks dig scars? Yeah, I'm calling bullshit." --> Cicada Nights
Mikko "Mike" Korhonen --> "Interesting, very interesting!" --> A Casual Question
V4 / Mini's
[+] spoiler

Jay Holland > "If I just smile, I guess they'll think it's all okay." ESCAPED
Jimmy Brennan > H&K CAWS (12 gauge) > "Step through that door and underestimate me, just like all the rest!" > PLACED: 22 / 276
Roland Harte > Kris > " This is, for all intents and purposes, my war now." > PLACED: 150 / 276
Orn "Dutchy" Ayers > Harpoon > "I fell in a puddle..." > PLACED: 98 / 276

Abby Erickson > Claw Hammer > "I get tired easy, so maybe the big sleep would be good for me." PLACED: 27 / 53
Brett Torres > Raven Arms MP-25 (.25) [x4 clips (6 round capacity)] 17/24 /// Stoner 63 (5.56x45mm) [(150 rounds per Drum)] 300/300 > "Bloodthirsty little bunch, ain't we?"
Jonas Jeffries > PINK TEAM > MAC-10 [x8 clips (30 Round Capacity)] 30/30 > " 'ow doo I make the muggafuggin' kh-chg noibs?!" PLACED: 31 / 66
wrote:"My dick did the Mexican Hat Dance and I had to suppress the moan that wanted to escape." - Casey
NOTE TO SELF: Burns on the left side. LEFT SIDE.

Namira
Mr. Danya

May 29th, 2012, 7:45 pm #9

I know nothing about any systems, so I am singularly unhelpful in that regard.

SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!
[+] spoiler
13:58 Gianni Oh come on you broke someone's heart
13:59 Gianni you are proud, not embarrassed
13:59 Christian Yes
13:59 Christian Be proud
13:59 Christian Do we not all strive to break a human soul?
[+] spoiler
Vincenzo/a 'Vinny' 'Enzo' Gatti | DO IT FOR THE VINE.
Toby 'Noodle' Andreasson | :|
[+] spoiler
G008 - Kammy So'oialo | wants a new script
G062 - Becca Everett | was a damn superstar
G071 - Sunshine Cho Lee | trusted
[+] spoiler
G026 - Rosalia Fiametta | Found it. | Walkie Talkies
G014 - Yelizaveta 'Bounce' Volkova | Out of here | Gasoline
B060 - Brock Mason | Thump. Thump |
G029 - Kristina 'Kris' Hartmann | Put Down. | Drama Bombs [&#8734;], M79 Grenade Launcher [x6 grenades]
G117 - Jessie Anderson | Still Smiling | Faith

MK Kilmarnock
Mr. Danya

May 29th, 2012, 7:45 pm #10

I've changed my mind. I'm in, though I'm really particular about my gaming systems. I prefer d20 stuff, and I'm only really experienced in 3.5
[+] spoiler
Jerry Fury - The man, the myth, the legend
Coleen Reagan - The girl who half-loved the world
[+] spoiler
V5 Roster:
Cody Patton : That bitch.
Sean Mulcahy : The world was kind to reprieve him of his fear...
Jessica Sanders: She hoped it would be quick...
[+] spoiler
20:17Sideliner:Toben and Ricky are like a sibling version of the Joker and Batman, only Batman is just as much of a mass murderer. He just hides it better.
19:58LaurelsHow does your dick smell like Fritos?
14:36 MimiI THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE FRIENDS > 14:36MimiI THOUGHT YOU REALLY LICKED HER