Aura
Winner
Aura
Winner

May 30th, 2012, 8:52 am #11

"Well Matt, she sounds wonderful. And I'm sure no matter where she is or what she's going through, she's happy."

Yeah. Where she is. At least nothing can hurt her anymore. Matt managed to smile a little at that thought.

"And she's got a great friend like you looking out for her. I can't imagine her life getting anything but better."

Matt's smile vanished, and he looked back at his shoes, trying to hide his face.

"Yeah..."

Even though she didn't know it, Cassidy pretty much said the worst thing she possibly could have in that situation. He didn't blame her, after all, she didn't know. But still, that sentence reminded him of all that had happened that fateful morning.

Sirens. Police cars. Her dad in handcuffs. The coroner's van.

Matt shook his head in an attempt to clear the images haunting his mind. Cassidy still stood in front of him, and he had no idea what to say. He tried to form words, but nothing seemed to fit together in his mind. He wanted to say something, he truly did, but he couldn't figure out how to do so without ruining the conversation. He decided to see if she would realize it on her own, and he could avoid telling her altogether. It wasn't a particularly good idea, but it was the only way he could think of to keep the conversation going. He sighed and finally spoke up.

"Maybe you know her. Her name's Angel White."

[+] spoiler
v5 Characters:

B029- Matt Masters- DECEASED (114/152)

B043- Adonis Alba- DECEASED (124/152)

G051- Stacey Mordetsky- DECEASED (136/152)

umop-ap!sdn
Player

May 30th, 2012, 10:12 pm #12

Cassidy's jaw began to drop, but she snapped it back up. She'd heard the name. It was on the news a few years ago. The report said Angel'd been a kind girl from a broken home. The story had even mentioned a woman who'd been reaching out to her.

Mrs. Masters.

Her speech faltered, "o-o-ohhh..."

Of course the rest of the story was horrible. Strangled by her own father. Killed by the one who should have protected her. It was a horrible, disgusting irony. How could somebody kill their own child? The school photo of the girl along with a mug shot of her father had tempted Cassidy's imagination into depicting the scene, and in the end she had to watch TV to distract herself.

She'd lost herself in thought again. He own eyes watered up, wondering what this poor boy had gone through. Trying to save a soul, and having come so close. Matt must have really loved her.

"I'm so sorry..."

It didn't really matter. Angel was dead.

Dead.

The word had always scared her. Growing up in an athiest home, she could never help but wonder if death was the end. Now hearing that the last thing this girl's mind would know was fear and hate, she was even farther upset.

But now it was time for words. The tall boy would be expecting a response now, and he was due one for opening up so much. Cassidy couldn't help herself, she sputtered out the first words to come to mind. She felt selfish for asking. But she also wanted to know if he had closure. And he could probably answer without giving a rant that was impossible to understand. Her distraught eyes looked back up at him.

"D-do you think there's a-a.. Heaven?"

Aura
Winner
Aura
Winner

May 31st, 2012, 8:12 pm #13

Angel's name had been enough. Cassidy's reaction was telling. She knew, and she was just as horrified and disgusted at the thought as he was. A cruel twist of fate in the life of someone completely innocent was the only way to describe it.

"D-do you think there's a-a.. Heaven?"

Cassidy's voice was shaky, and she was clearly upset. Matt began to have some regrets about telling her. He hadn't intended for i to affect her this badly. Still, she asked him a question, and he felt he had to give a genuine answer.

"Yeah, I like to think that there is a Heaven. I mean, souls need somewhere to go after the body passes on, right? A good soul will always find its way to Heaven, that's what I believe."

Matt looked up at the sky, deep in thought.

"You know, sometimes I wonder if she's watching me, and if she's proud of what I'm doing."

[+] spoiler
v5 Characters:

umop-ap!sdn
Player

June 1st, 2012, 3:50 am #14

Seeing the shaken Cassidy seemed to bring out the caregiver in Matt. Maybe he was just comforting himself or answering a question, but his words were what she needed to hear.

"...souls need somewhere to go after the body passes on, right?"

The exact philosophy she had. Her parents' explanation of reuniting with the Earth or parallel dimensions followed by the "it's all just speculation" rant was never enough. This answer was simple, this answer was beautiful.

She repeated his words in her mind and felt herself relax. She hadn't thought her run would have gone this way, but a deep breath of fresh air along with a mind temporarily at ease left her feeling invincible.

"You know, sometimes I wonder if she's watching me, and if she's proud of what I'm doing."

He'd struck another cord. Her eyes darted up at the sky, thinking of the biological strangers who would be looking down on her. She looked back to Matt, but he was also looking up now.

She laughed and let out a satisfied sigh. The kid who was a stranger just minutes ago seemed like a close friend. It was so easy to trust him, everything about him was just so inviting.

They had exchanged enough deep conversation, and Cassidy really needed to get home. She felt her arm reach for the cell phone in her pocket. A discreet glance down confirmed that she needed to get home. Her fingertips ran across the bumps as she thought. It seemed petty to end such a conversation by asking him for his number.

Her hand pulled the phone out slightly as she straightened up. She hoped her face wasn't getting rosy, and she refocused on not accidently batting her eyelashes. She didn't need to scare away her new friend by looking like a hooker. She smiled, and felt the warmth of a slight blush arrive.

"This was nice." The phone was now clutched by both hands. "I really like talking to you."

Aura
Winner
Aura
Winner

June 5th, 2012, 4:58 am #15

Cassidy laughed. It wasn't a cruel laugh, however. It sounded more relieved than anything else. As Matt looked back at her, he noticed her taking her phone out of her pocket. Maybe she was using it to check the time. After all, they had been talking for quite a while now, and it had to be geting late. That seemed like a good idea, so Matt reached into his pocket to retrieve his phone, too. Glancing at the screen, he saw that a lot of time had indeed passed since their conversation began. It was only about twenty minutes until SmackDown was set to start. If he hurried, he would probably be able to get home with just enough time to pop a Hot Pocket in the microwave before the first match.

He looked back at Cassidy. Her phone was held in both hands, and she was looking directly at him.

"This was nice. I really like talking to you."

Matt was surprised by her response. She had really had such a good time talking to him? He smiled a little at the thought. Matt's own phone was still grasped in the palm of his own hand as he responded.

"I really like talking to you, too."

[+] spoiler
v5 Characters:

umop-ap!sdn
Player

June 5th, 2012, 7:24 pm #16

Cassidy passed the phone between her hands. It was late, and they both probably had things to do. She glanced at her phone again just to confirm the time in her head. The rightmost digit changed, and urged her to wrap up the small talk.

"I really like talking to you, too."

There was her signal.

"Well, I really gotta head home. It's getting dark and I got things to do."

The phone stopped in her palm. She felt silly for having had it out for so long. Her hands silenty moved behind her back. Her free hand grabbing her elbow as she stretched her shoulders.

"Maybe we could talk again some other time?"

Aura
Winner
Aura
Winner

June 6th, 2012, 12:16 am #17

"Well, I gotta head home. It's getting dark and I got things to do."

Matt nodded. It looked like the conversation was wrapping up. After all, the sun was setting and the streets weren't particularly a safe place to be at night. Besides, he had some things to do, too. Well, more like things to watch, but still, he was on a schedule nonetheless.

"Maybe we could talk again sometime?"

Cassidy actually wanted to talk to him again. Matt didn't take a lot of time to think about his response, because he already knew what he was going to say.

"Yeah. I'd like that."

[+] spoiler
v5 Characters:

umop-ap!sdn
Player

June 6th, 2012, 12:45 am #18

Cassidy smiled. The kid was sweet. Maybe not incredibly good at taking hints or flirting, but even that made him seem cuter. He wasn't a wannabe bad boy. He wasn't trying super hard to impress her. He was real.

I guess being eight feet tall eliminates the need to act big.

She pulled her phone out one last time, taking matters into her own hands this time. She got to the "new contact" menu in a second, pinched the sides of her phone with her index finger and thumb, and extended it out to Matt.

Social norm usually dictated that the male was supposed to initiate any potentially flirting.

Ugh. Get out of my head MOM.

They weren't even flirting. Yet. No! You just met him, Cass. You aren't doing that to yourself again.

She just liked talking to him. And maybe looking at him. Now or never:

"So... Could I get your number?"

Aura
Winner
Aura
Winner

June 6th, 2012, 7:51 pm #19

Matt watched as Cassidy pressed a few buttons on her phone before holding it out to him.

"So... could I get your number?

At that moment, Matt realized that she had been dropping hints that just flew right over his head. Seriously, what kind of idiot wouldn't know that a girl wanted his number? Matt shrugged off that thought. The fact that he didn't get the hint didn't make her not like him. At least, he didn't think it did. Refocusing his attention on Cassidy, he smiled and answered.

"Sure."

Matt entered his number into Cassidy's phone, being careful not to hit two buttons at once with his large fingers. After around ten seconds, his number was set in Cassidy's phone.

"There you go."

Matt pressed a few buttons on his phone, sending it to the New Contact screen, and handed it over to Cassidy. He was a little nervous, since he had never asked a girl for her number before.

"Um... can I have your number, too?"

[+] spoiler
v5 Characters:

umop-ap!sdn
Player

June 6th, 2012, 8:30 pm #20

She could only smile at him. She'd met this boy just minutes ago, but already felt she knew him very well. And now that she could easily contact him anytime now.

She reached for his cell, having tucked her own under her arm. She punched her own digits in before handing it back. She put her last name into the contact, unsure if he'd know it.

She handed it back, smiling and holding her eye contact. She looked over her shoulder and back. It was time for good bye.

Handshakes are formal. And lame. Hug? Nonono.

She quickly conjured up some middle ground.

"Well, it's been great. But I really gotta get going."

She stepped off the stairs without turning away. Her left foot swung around the back of her right. Her legs rotated, followed by her hips, and then her shoulders too began to turn away.

Her free hand raised off the railing, she wiggled her fingers towards him.

"I'll see ya later!"