The General SOTF Discussion Thread

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

1:54 PM - Apr 04, 2012 #1

Hi, everyone! The one thing we seem to have been missing around here is a thread to actually talk about the game of SOTF itself. That said, here one is!

Really quickly, a few things:

This thread is for discussing SOTF. That includes all versions, pregames, the lore of the world, etc. Really, if it's a part of the actual RP, it can be discussed here.

That said, I'd really like to see this thread remain civil. That means we're going to have a no insults rule. Criticism is fine. Expressing opinions is fine. Saying you don't like something is totally fine, as is giving reasons for it. No mocking, no being offensive, no trying to hurt feelings. This is the case for the whole thread. That means no going after, say, Blood Boy in a mean way.

I'll edit this post to clarify if anything else comes up, but, yeah, this is basically it. So, feel free to discuss whatever. I'm not gonna set the course in this post, as I think it's better to have a pure opening post for this sort of thing.

Fiori
Contender
Fiori
Contender

3:01 PM - Apr 04, 2012 #2

Cool. I'm surprised we haven't already had a thread like this before. You'd think a general discussion thread would be obvious, right?

In any case, where to start... What about discussing the threads that got us interested in SOTF to begin with? I remember one of the first threads that I gave a proper read being the one wherein J.R. Rizzolo chases this girl halfway across the island before killing her. Okay, technically that happened over the course of several threads, but the fact of the matter was that they were some of the first threads I read to get a good feel of what SOTF was like.

Anyone else got any stories about how they first got introduced to SOTF? Preferably ones that are significantly more interesting the the one I just wrote about.
V5 Characters

Brian Zhdanovich - Homestead
Ruby Forrester - Shopping Mall
Jenna Rhodes - Hotel

[+] Spoiler
Maxwell Lombardi - The Suave Bastard {Shot off a cliff} [Kill Count: 12]
Marty J. Lovett - The Paranoid Pessimist {Stabbed in the heart} [Kill Count: 1]
Joshua Krakowski - The Living Anachronism {Shot in the temple}
Vera Osborne - The Pretentious Artist {Shot in the eye}

KamiKaze
Winner

3:26 PM - Apr 04, 2012 #3

The first thread I read was, believe it or not, She Bop. I'm not even joking.

A long time ago, there was a reference on TV Tropes' page for "Depraved Bisexual" of someone raping another with a vase. I was just casually skimming the page, and it stood out to me. I was all "WHAT?! What is this? What is this series?", so I clicked "Survival of the Fittest". I saw the trope page and I was all "So it's a BR roleplay... where girls rape each other with vases. O_o". I saw that you guys had a wiki, so I searched for the vase rapist's name based on the TV Tropes entry in question, and took a wild guess which one was the vase rape thread. It wasn't because I wanted wanking material or anything, it was more... well, one of those things that sound like they'd be very messed up to read, but you just have to see it for yourself. Kind of like a trainwreck. I remember thinking while I was reading "WHAT AM I READING? She masturbates while her classmates are dying and another girl forces her to continue and then uses a vase on her and then WHAT?".

Somehow this got me interested in SOTF. I dunno, maybe I continued lurking a bit, saw a few more tropes, and was all "Hey, vase rape aside, it's not that bad", and eventually signed up.

So yeah. Storytime over. Somehow She Bop managed to be my intro to SOTF. Figures.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."
[+] Spoiler
In Loving Memory Of Those Killed In The 2008 SOTF
Carol Burke- Female Student #015- A good friend.
Remy Kim- Male Student #080- Yet another victim of the system.
Aileen Borden- Female Student #022- It's going to be okay.

In Loving Memory Of Those Killed In The 2012 SOTF
Alexandria "Alex" Ripley- Female Student #002- Sometimes your life is meant to be a warning to others.
Lana Torres- Female Student #039- Technically, she died happy.
Miranda Millers- Female Student #019- Doomed by self-fulfilling prophecy.

In Loving Memory of Those Killed in the 2015 SOTF
Jennifer Wallace- Female Student #055- Good night, and good luck.
Junko Kurosawa- Female Student #041- Experienced a thrill to die for.
Emma Luz- Female Student #022- Sweet dreams.

....?
Anna Chase- Female Student #010- And then she lived happily ever after.
[+] Spoiler
For v6, I have come to a decision. To help lessen character pimping, I have vowed not to talk about my characters, any characters closely related to mine, or any threads I've been involved in, in any of the following places:

- Chat
- General Discussion thread
- TV Tropes
- Random Thoughts

I am not allowing myself to talk about anything relating to my characters or scenes I'm in unless they are brought up in conversation by another handler. I am not allowed to use my characters' names OOC or mention anything relating to that character until another handler mentions them. This is not currently in effect for pre-game; these self-imposed rules do not apply until v6 starts. However, they will be in effect the second v6 is announced. When one of my characters die, escape, or are otherwise removed from the game, these rules are lifted for that character, and I am free to talk about that character as much as I want. However, the others will have to wait until they too are out of the game.

This is a personal promise I'm keeping to myself for v6. If I break it, please feel free to bitch me out.

-KamiKaze

Addendum as of v6: I may ask for critiques while a character's arc is ongoing, as long as someone has offered to do so.
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

4:29 PM - Apr 04, 2012 #4

Fior: I just read all of Riz about a month ago, and I remember those threads quite well.

Anyways, I almost joined SOTF back during V3, sometime before everyone vanished for the escape. I think it was when a Dodd quote was on the scroller? Either way, it seemed far too big and overwhelming at the time, so I put it aside to think about later. When I came back, I figured it'd be best to tackle things in a more organized fashion, so I consulted the most recent Plastic Hammers for a place to start.

"Most Humorous" sounded good, and everyone was saying good things about James Brown and specifically this thread called House of Boo, so I just started reading from James' story. Of course, he immediately crossed paths with Trish, and the pair of them became one of my favorite SOTF groups of all time. I'd come into the site not really getting online RPs, and thinking that SOTF was just kind of a meat grinder of an RP, where everyone killed each other off for no reason. Reading Trish and James (and Danni, once she joined up with them) showed me that there was so, so much more to the game than fighting. It also showed me that the writing quality here was legitimately quite high, and really helped me prepare for being a handler.

Cake
Contender
Cake
Contender

2:56 PM - Apr 08, 2012 #5

Thanks to Solitair for the brilliant idea of taking personal notes on what we read and liked in the SOTF RP stories so we dont forget them later on.

I think it could prove useful for filling things out like Hammer type awards (which could always use alot of attention and participation), best ____ competitions, or heck even the blog writing for sotf tv, where you gotta write ic about the show (the RP'd story). I'm gonna start doing this method immediately. Little late for V5 pregame notes, but I'll do so from this point on.

Not to mention useful for remembering Quotes for our scroller up top!

Another use: Notes about the character we read themselves, so we can properly RP with them and form an appropriate story when it comes down to a meeting or the ever popular death scene claims. You gotta make it about the character who is dying rather than all about your kid after all. Remember to treat other characters more than something to kill: People don't like that. Don't be self centered.

Namira
Mr. Danya

3:04 PM - Apr 08, 2012 #6

SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!
[+] Spoiler
13:58 Gianni Oh come on you broke someone's heart
13:59 Gianni you are proud, not embarrassed
13:59 Christian Yes
13:59 Christian Be proud
13:59 Christian Do we not all strive to break a human soul?
[+] Spoiler
Vincenzo/a 'Vinny' 'Enzo' Gatti | DO IT FOR THE VINE.
Toby 'Noodle' Andreasson | :|
[+] Spoiler
G008 - Kammy So'oialo | wants a new script
G062 - Becca Everett | was a damn superstar
G071 - Sunshine Cho Lee | trusted
[+] Spoiler
G026 - Rosalia Fiametta | Found it. | Walkie Talkies
G014 - Yelizaveta 'Bounce' Volkova | Out of here | Gasoline
B060 - Brock Mason | Thump. Thump |
G029 - Kristina 'Kris' Hartmann | Put Down. | Drama Bombs [∞], M79 Grenade Launcher [x6 grenades]
G117 - Jessie Anderson | Still Smiling | Faith

Cake
Contender
Cake
Contender

3:01 AM - Apr 09, 2012 #7

Thought: I think that if you get a death claim, that the handler of the recently deceased character should agree to whatever you do to the dead body. Yeah they're dead, but that doesn't give free reign on doing what you want with the deceased's body imo; it's still the handler's character. I was personally caught off guard a few times this way, but I'm a good sport. Others might not be.

Blastinus
Player

3:21 AM - Apr 09, 2012 #8

Psychadelic wrote:Thought: I think that if you get a death claim, that the handler of the recently deceased character should agree to whatever you do to the dead body. Yeah they're dead, but that doesn't give free reign on doing what you want with the deceased's body imo; it's still the handler's character. I was personally caught off guard a few times this way, but I'm a good sport. Others might not be.
I would agree, but within limits. If you're just interacting with the body in the sense of having an emotional reaction to it or checking it for items, that seems like you wouldn't need approval, but if you're going to be hacking off limbs, urinating on it, using the head for a tea cozy, etc., yeah, that might require approval from the handler first.

Similarly, if somebody's asleep or unconscious, people shouldn't be able to just walk up and do whatever they want in that case either. You don't frequently see people get knocked out in these games because, I believe, there's a hidden implication that letting your character be knocked out is inviting people to basically have free reign over the unconscious body. If people had to get permission before messing around with a defenseless character, I think it would free up people to be more creative with their roleplaying.

edit: That might also fall under such things as having a character be pinned to the ground, tied up, or otherwise restrained while conscious or unconscious. Basically, any situation where a character can't fight back should be treated respectfully and carefully, so as to not mess around with the handler controlling that character.

Cake
Contender
Cake
Contender

11:17 AM - Apr 09, 2012 #9

Blastinus wrote:
Psychadelic wrote:Thought: I think that if you get a death claim, that the handler of the recently deceased character should agree to whatever you do to the dead body. Yeah they're dead, but that doesn't give free reign on doing what you want with the deceased's body imo; it's still the handler's character. I was personally caught off guard a few times this way, but I'm a good sport. Others might not be.
I would agree, but within limits. If you're just interacting with the body in the sense of having an emotional reaction to it or checking it for items, that seems like you wouldn't need approval, but if you're going to be hacking off limbs, urinating on it, using the head for a tea cozy, etc., yeah, that might require approval from the handler first.

Similarly, if somebody's asleep or unconscious, people shouldn't be able to just walk up and do whatever they want in that case either. You don't frequently see people get knocked out in these games because, I believe, there's a hidden implication that letting your character be knocked out is inviting people to basically have free reign over the unconscious body. If people had to get permission before messing around with a defenseless character, I think it would free up people to be more creative with their roleplaying.

edit: That might also fall under such things as having a character be pinned to the ground, tied up, or otherwise restrained while conscious or unconscious. Basically, any situation where a character can't fight back should be treated respectfully and carefully, so as to not mess around with the handler controlling that character.
Oh definitely, I agree Blastinus. Not everything needs to be checked as you mentioned. Looting items like bags and weapons is a given when people are dead and you claimed them. Doing something in respect to the character, like memorializing, mourning, burying or something should be fine as well, since it's a respect and emotional thing. But I'd say doing something disrespectful that the handler wasn't aware was going to happen to their character's body afterward would need the okay from the handler out of common courtesy. Like I know I would feel bothered for a little while, if I came back and read that my character was now vomited on and mutilated beyond recognition, after agreeing only to have my character be shot or something. What if I wanted my character to not go out that sorta way, you know? Like I'd want to know if that was gonna happen before hand. It isn't hard for "you" (the person) to just send a PM asking: "Hey may I ____ to ____'s body?"

It sorta reminds me when it comes to interacting with inactive characters as well. Just because they're inactive characters, doesn't mean they can be treated any darn way you want. They're not just a hunk of meat for you to kill. They should be treated as legit characters as well and not be mistreated in a way you wouldn't to a user handled character either. Just something I've noticed when handling inactives.

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

3:18 PM - Apr 09, 2012 #10

I absolutely agree on most of what has been said. I know, for inactives, we always try our hardest to make sure the staffer handling an inactive is at the very least familiar with the character's storyline, and ideally has read all of it. Every inactive I killed in V4 (and there were... quite a few) I'd followed since pregame. Actually, and I hope it's okay for me to say this, dealing with inactives is one of the sadder parts of being on staff for me. It's especially bad if there are a ton at once, or nobody's biting on the kills for some reason, 'cause then we have to contrive circumstances and that usually doesn't work out the greatest.

As to permission... I think it's the nice and respectful thing to do. I'm not 100% sure it should be required, though. I'm honestly kinda baffled at the amount of corpse mutilation we've seen in SOTF. Often it really doesn't make much sense.

When it comes to helpless characters, though... there, I am less inclined to agree. We see a good number of characters end up helpless, unconscious, etc. I actually just finished reading a (very long) V1 scene that involved someone passing out (as well as a bunch of other really, really well known parts of SOTF lore. It's worth a read. I linked to the post involving passing out, though). Basically, the problem is, any time permission is required for something, it can really easily lead to characters getting derailed.

Let's say Bubba Dover is a big, bad news killer. He's already massacred eight people, always being cold and logical and shooting them before screaming "You got own by Bubba Dover!"

Now, let's say Alexia Morgan hasn't slept in like a week or something. Her handler has her pass out in an open topic. Bubba Dover enters this topic, and finds Alexia Morgan, and stands over her. Now, because Bubba's handler is respectful, there's no attack launched. He even notes that Bubba isn't the most quiet of fellows, crunching through the underbrush all over the place.

Problem is, Alexia's handler doesn't want her to wake up.

Now, Bubba has been cold and logical in every encounter so far. He has showed no mercy. But if Alexia's handler refuses to let him shoot her, he... has to walk away? is supposed to give up? suddenly forgets he saw anyone?

See, my view, and this could be colored by having read a lot of older versions, when this was very much the way things were done, is that GMing begins the instant you call a hit or directly control someone's character. You shouldn't need permission to shoot at someone, though. It can be nice to get it. It can make posts flow better. Really, though, as an attacker your only responsibility is to avoid GMing and backing someone into a corner. If they put themselves in a corner, that's their problem.

If we started making permission necessary to mess with unconscious characters, passing out would be a magic bullet defense against reality. To preemptively counter the argument that that's absurd and no handlers would use it that way, I'd like to point out that in V4 a large number of private threads completely ignored the possibility of, say, Lombardi stumbling in and lighting up the place. Why? Because, since the thread was private, the handlers knew he wouldn't. The problem is, none of the characters present should have known that.

So... basically, what I'm saying is, I see a bunch of way easier workarounds for dealing with unconscious characters. If they pass out with even one friend around, there's someone to protect/save them. If the handler just doesn't specify right away how awful the injury is, they can wake up and flee/limp away. If there's a particular thing the handler has in mind, they can just make a thread in RPing discussion or PM some buddies and get stuff set up to flow properly.

Really, realistically, if someone passes out on their own, with nobody around, they probably are screwed unless someone comes along to help or save them.

So... yeah, those are my thoughts on that.

Fiori
Contender
Fiori
Contender

4:19 PM - Apr 09, 2012 #11

Personally, I think the best option when it comes to situations like the above example would be to just avoid them altogether.

Ideally, Bubba's handler shouldn't have him find Alexia in the first place unless Alexia's handler says its okay. Otherwise, you find yourself having to come up with some contrived reason for why he doesn't just snuff her out right there and then. The problem to me shouldn't be that if a handler has Alexia fall asleep then it's their own damn fault if Bubba Dover finds them, but that the handler writing Bubba Dover shouldn't have him find her in the first place unless they've already planned something in advance with Alexia's handler.

When writing Maxwell, I never had him just randomly enter a thread and start shooting up the place unless I'd already planned it in advance with the handlers involved. Not that I never found myself in situations where I had to think of some reason for a helpless character to get away, but as far as I recall they were all situations which had already been planned way in advance.

I know a lot of handlers don't plan things in advance as extensively as I do, and I'll be the first to admit that I really should be more spontaneous. That said, planning things with Maxwell meant that I never found myself effectively forcing another handler into a corner without their consent. I can't really imagine writing a player spontaneously without annoying every handler they interact with when they charge guns blazing into their open thread without asking anyone in advance if it was okay for them to do so.

Maybe that's just me? I don't know, but when it comes to writing players I've always found it best to never enter a thread unless I and the other handlers involved had a definite idea as to what will happen.
V5 Characters

Jenna Rhodes - Hotel

[+] Spoiler

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

5:08 PM - Apr 09, 2012 #13

See, I disagree. If Alexia's handler doesn't want somebody finding her while she's asleep, then the handler should have her awake by the time the thread is open. It's really, really easy to have awkward moments take place between threads, or to start the actual interactive portion of a thread after the tricky situation has passed. If the situation is as follows, I see absolutely nothing wrong with Bubba's handler taking a shot. At the same time, I see nothing wrong with Alexia's handler suddenly realizing that Bubba's handler is serious about this, having Alexia wake up an instant before Bubba pulls the trigger and roll out of the way/shove the gun to the side, then take off running into the woods. Sure, it's a bit contrived on Alexia's side, but that's because her handler ignored the opportunities presented beforehand to achieve the same result in a less forced way.

I also see nothing wrong with Alexia's handler PMing Bubba's handler and going, "Whoops, sorry, didn't think he'd do that. You mind if I edit my last post so she wakes up and runs?" at which point Bubba's player should have no objections to that whatsoever.

Basically, as I see it, every handler is responsible for their own characters. It is really, really easy to avoid being backed into a corner. If someone shoots at a character you don't want getting shot, they can miss. If someone stumbles upon someone you don't want stumbled upon, then why on earth was the thread open in the first place? Why didn't you ask everyone who wants to enter to PM first, as was the trend in V4?

I guess I see bending over backwards to avoid putting other handlers in tricky positions as doing a serious disservice to spontaneity and the game's ability to actually deal with stuff that's not planned. The big difference, for me, between an RP and other writing/fanfiction is that in an RP sometimes you have to deal with really unexpected stuff.

To back things up with my own personal experience: I have dropped into threads and lit them up without warning. I've had it happen to me. Now, of course there are times when you don't do this. If someone's clearly having a moment, dealing with a death or reconnecting with a friend, yeah, that's really rude to disrupt. It's best to use your own narrative sense, and, if there's any doubt at all, ask. On the other hand, if it's an open thread where nothing's going on? Why not?

I'm not saying to say, "Oh, screw playing nice and asking permission." It's really cool of folks to do that. On the other hand, it can and has been taken way, way too far, to the point where people get upset if their plot arcs are disrupted at all or they have to deal with the inconvenience of actually interacting with characters who aren't part of their thought-out plots. I can probably list half a dozen V4 characters who spent over half the game in private threads. I've had a ton of handlers complain to me that they felt their hands were tied in interactions, that other handlers' characters were acting in ways that reasonably would get them shot at, and that they felt they couldn't do anything about it, instead being forced to compromise their own characterization in order to save someone else's neck from their own mistake.

This is why I strongly believe that each handler has to be responsible, first and foremost, for their own characters. The integrity of your own characters should come first. As I've mentioned, there is no inescapable situation that hasn't either a. come about through extreme GMing or b. come about by the choice of the handler on the receiving end.

Basically, what I'm saying is, if everything is based solely on permission, the game's pretty much immobile. Nothing ever changes. Nobody's ever surprised. Nobody ever gets wounded unless it fits their arc, and nobody loses (or even gets into) a fight unless everyone involved thinks it's the right time. That's... boring, to me.

Really, this is the V1/V2 debate all over again, and it's safe to say that there will never be total accord. I just think that enforcing rules that preclude taking actions appropriate to one's character is a really, really bad idea. We already have protective measures for people who don't want to risk someone throwing a spanner into their plans, in the form of private threads. Anything more feels excessive to me.

Again, I'm not saying you shouldn't ask permission for stuff. It's good etiquette, and in most situations it is the right choice. If someone else forces you into a situation where you have to break character to avoid inconveniencing them, though? As I see it, all bets are off.

Also, my initial example may not have been the best, so... a new one follows, spoilered to keep this a bit shorter.
[+] Spoiler
Alrighty. The last example wasn't great because, yeah, walking into a topic with someone sleeping as a player can be pretty tricky, although I maintain that giving someone tons of opportunities to wake up and flee counts as playing nice enough.

On the other hand, say Kazuo Kiriyama and Mitsuko Souma are in a thread, having a fight. The handlers have agreed that they will fight, but are playing the specifics by ear. In the middle of the fight, Mitsuko's handler has Mistuko drop her gun by mistake and stumble backwards, hitting her head against a wall and falling unconscious. Kiriyama still has his machine gun. Mitsuko's handler goes to great pains to point out that Mitsuko is obviously not dead. She's still breathing, maybe twitching in her sleep. There's no blood on the wall.

The problem? Kiriyama has six kills, and every single time he's pumped a couple rounds into the body of his adversary just to be sure.

So... Kiriyama's handler has just been thrown into a really awkward situation. Kiriyama has shown no mercy, ever. He's double checked every kill. Now, Mitsuko's handler doesn't want her to die, or even get shot, but at the same time, Kiriyama's handler is stuck having him break character in some form or another to accommodate that wish. He has to assume Mitsuko will die, making him look stupid and breaking his previously established trend of being sure, or decide to spare her, doing the same.

If I was Kiriyama's handler, at this point I would tell Mitsuko's handler that neither of these options are in character for Kiriyama, and that in that situation he'd just shoot Mitsuko. I'd then suggest that Mitsuko's handler edit their post so as to avoid the situation in the first place, or come up with a way for Mitsuko to not get shot that does not involve me messing up my character's characterization. If there was no response in a reasonable time frame (a week or so), I'd have Kiriyama open fire and leave it on Mitsuko's handler to figure out how to react.
I guess, for me, I'm not willing to compromise characterization for narrative convenience. The big thing is, working people into corners goes both ways, and SOTF has a tendency to assume that there's no issue if someone's not at risk of being wounded/killed. I think being forced to break character is at least as big a deal. As I see it, there are tons of great ways to ensure your thread/character will not be troubled by players without counting on them to do all the legwork.

Fiori
Contender
Fiori
Contender

6:54 PM - Apr 09, 2012 #14

Hmm, I'll admit, those are all pretty good points.

With the Bubba/Alexia scenario, whilst I still think it would generally be best if Bubba didn't find Alexia to begin with unless the two handlers had sorted something out beforehand, I agree that if Alexia's handler didn't want her to be woken up in the first place then she shouldn't have her opening post end with her falling asleep. (Then again, you could also argue that s/he might have WANTED someone to wake her up, but not necessarily someone who would just kill her on the spot. But that's beside the point.)

I'll admit, I was probably one of the handlers with a character who spent most of their time in private threads. And to be honest, the main reason for why I generally prefer private threads over open threads is that I'm not very good at being purely spontaneous. When working on a thread, usually I like to have at least a vague idea as to what the conclusion is going to be, otherwise I tend to find myself unsure as to what direction to take things.

That said, I do fully agree that you shouldn't have to always ask permission for stuff, nor should people complain when something unexpected happens in their open thread. And whilst I generally get annoyed whenever someone enters an open thread with the intention of trying to shoot everyone, if not much is actually happening in said thread then sure. A psychopath with a flaming machete ought to liven things up a bit. And, at least in my own experience, most handlers tend to know when its best to just let a scene play out rather than charge in unannounced.

Whilst I still generally prefer asking permission first before doing... Well, anything really, I definitely agree that there are some circumstances where that shouldn't be necessary.
V5 Characters

Jenna Rhodes - Hotel

[+] Spoiler

Slam
Mr. Danya
Slam
Mr. Danya

7:52 PM - Apr 09, 2012 #15

Here's a character discussion I've been wondering on: character's hobbies, abilities, and interests.

Is there such a thing as a character who can do too much? Too little? How much of advantages and disadvantages do you consider when you decide what a character does for hobbies or the like? Are characters with no real strengths or weaknesses inherently flat? Would such a character automatically be lacking in hobbies and interests (hobbies and interests seem to have a knack for blending into advantages and disadvantages, often with good reason)?