The General Music Thread

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

November 26th, 2013, 10:55 pm #1

So, we've got a general video games thread now. We have a music sharing thread. But we don't really have anywhere to talk about music. I know a few handlers follow music stuff, so I figure it'll be fun to have a thread to chat about it.

One request: if you just want to share a song, please do so in the above-linked music sharing thread. Ideally, I'd love it if people linked any songs here rather than posting videos to this thread, just so it's clearly optional to go dig stuff up and listen to it.

That said, anyone found anything cool lately? Thoughts on music in 2013 so far?

Badb
Mr. Danya

November 26th, 2013, 11:03 pm #2

Matangi is the best rap album of the year but MMLP2 is going to win all the awards instead because people are stupid.
V5:
B035 - [color=EF98AA]Ray Gilbert[/color] - DECEASED - Guy Fawkes Mask - Too Far Gone
G029 - Zoe Leverett - DECEASED - Machete - To Really Be Alone, To Pick At All the Bones
[/spoiler]
wrote:[18:10] <Laurels> WWJD? Fuck corpses, apparently
wrote:[15:16] <Naft> My college once nearly burned down because someone tried to make a bong out of dollar bills and the fire alarm didn't work

Aura
Winner
Aura
Winner

November 26th, 2013, 11:04 pm #3

Has anyone else here heard Tay Zonday's rendition of the Pokemon theme song?

[+] Spoiler
v5 Characters:

B029- Matt Masters- DECEASED (114/152)

B043- Adonis Alba- DECEASED (124/152)

G051- Stacey Mordetsky- DECEASED (136/152)

Un-Persona
Mr. Danya

November 26th, 2013, 11:10 pm #4

People are really getting into the folk/indie movement. Not that I'm complaining.
V7 relationship thread! Say hi to my kids!
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
&#10084; &#10084; &#10084; &#10084; & &#10084; &#10084;
[+] Spoiler
V7 - &#10084; &#10084; &#10084; - PV3 - {&#10084;} &#10084; &#10084; - TV3 - &#10084; &#10084; - V8 - &#10084; &#10084; &#10084;
[+] Spoiler
21:33RattlesnakeIf you can't ninja roll the solution is to get naked until you can ninja roll

Justice for Natali - Today at 4:21 PM
Your adorable face will not save you from the long dick of the law

Gianni - Today at 8:05 PM
Sometimes the big tru tru different than the small tru tru

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

November 26th, 2013, 11:55 pm #5

Santa-Sona wrote:People are really getting into the folk/indie movement. Not that I'm complaining.
They are! The rage re: traditional folk and indie vs. newcomers is crazy, too. Basically, pop songs with folk instrumentation rock, but lots of people think they're super folksy/indie just because they've listened to a song with a banjo in it, which makes all the traditionalists upset as they're ignored for more commercially viable stuff.

Speaking of folk/indie, anyone heard of Stornoway? They get lumped in with Mumford and Sons a lot, and are pretty excellent, though their second album wasn't quite as exciting as the first.

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

November 26th, 2013, 11:55 pm #6

Aura Master Fox wrote:Has anyone else here heard Tay Zonday's rendition of the Pokemon theme song?
I have not! Link? The Pokemon theme is pretty nostalgic for me.

Aura
Winner
Aura
Winner

November 27th, 2013, 12:32 am #7

MurderWeasel wrote:
Aura Master Fox wrote:Has anyone else here heard Tay Zonday's rendition of the Pokemon theme song?
I have not! Link? The Pokemon theme is pretty nostalgic for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9Vjfi0Slbw

[+] Spoiler
v5 Characters:

B029- Matt Masters- DECEASED (114/152)

B043- Adonis Alba- DECEASED (124/152)

G051- Stacey Mordetsky- DECEASED (136/152)

Laurels
Mr. Danya

November 27th, 2013, 1:14 am #8

If I had to talk about my music experience in 2013, it was finally using Pandora Radio. I was aware of it, didn't have interest in using it, but this semester I got an internship that left me sitting in front of a computer doing very little (the fact that I was this place's first ever intern speaks for the fact that I've done pretty much no work since late September).

Anywho, I used an artist I had become fond of earlier this year, Florence and the Machine, and that caused me to fall in love with several other musicians and groups. The most definite additions to my music library were Ellie Goulding, Lana del Ray, Mumford and Sons, and Of Monsters and Men. They were artists who came up a lot, had several songs I fell in love with, and are now musicians I actively look out for.

Here are my favorite songs from each of those artists, since I feel these are the songs that made me really fall in love with them and are some of the best songs I discovered this year:

Ellie Goulding, "Starry Eyed" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBf2v4mLM8k

Lana del Ray, "Blue Jeans" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRWox-i6aAk

Mumford and Sons, "White Blank Page" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw-ko6aINI4

Of Monsters and Men, "King and Lionheart" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A76a_LNIYwE

So yeah, this year made me realize how good online radio programs are, and that sometimes the "if you like X, you'll love Y" approach can be true sometimes.
[+] Spoiler
Nadia Riva
"You don't think I'm pretty enough to be a model? And you're telling me while wearing that face?"

Noah Whitley
"You look like you could use a laugh, and I have just the joke for that."

Alba Reyes
"Woo hoo! Three holes in one! That's a new record!"
[+] Spoiler
Girl #007-Rachael Langdon
"I really am going to die, aren't I? Oh god, what am I going to do?"

Armed with a Solar Powered Scientific Calculator
Stabbed with a sword by Marcus Leung.
Girl #018-Claire Monaghan
"You know, I always thought I'd be seen by millions. Fuck Murphy's Law."

Armed with a Shotgun Flashlight (1 Bullet) and a bulletproof vest

Girl #035-Sophie McDowell
"People often find inspiration in the darkest times. I guess I can too."
Killed by a grenade thrown by Summer Simms

Armed with a lead pipe.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

19:10 Laurelena: When octopi eat hamsters, the resulting laughter is a mix of colorful idiocy and dainty ice skating

18:10 Mimi: "how many nipples does Miss Piggy REALLY have?"

16:57 Mimi play Fergaliscious
16:58 Mimi IF YOU EVER WANT FANS
16:58 Mimi YOU NEED FERALISCIOUS
16:58 Mimi FERGALISCIOUS
16:58 Mimi Omg
16:58 Mimi feral-liscious
16:58 Mimi that's
16:58 Mimi blowing my mind

16:57 KamiKaze Laurie, if you ever become a mod, let it be known that one day you will critique someone's profile who had a girl killing her family friend because he raped her, and the person will insult you by calling you a talking Oshawott doll.

21:42Acidic i AM ANAL WART MAN

00:19Delroy.... I HAVE AN IMAGE OF HANSEL FUCKING TRAVIS WITH A CHAINSAW STUCK IN MY HEAD. HOW IS THIS IN ANY WAY GOOD!?

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Rachael Langdon
[+] Spoiler

Rachael Langdon and Claire Monaghan
[+] Spoiler

Rachael Langdon

Claire Monaghan
[+] Spoiler

Claire Monaghan
[+] Spoiler

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

November 27th, 2013, 7:01 am #9

Aura: That was pretty cool! He's got a very good voice.

Laure: Irene loves Florence and the Machine. I'm quite fond of Mumford and Sons. Are you at all familiar with the Fleet Foxes, going in a (very) loosely similar vein? Also, Ray LaMontagne's Beg, Steal, or Borrow strikes me as somewhat similar in style, if perhaps a bit more folksy and a bit less fast-paced.

For 2013 stuff, I've not followed that thoroughly, maybe one or two new releases a month. For my favorite album, it's a toss up between Daft Punk's Random Access Memories and Nick Cave's Push the Sky Away, with the edge to Daft Punk at the moment. My favorite song, though, is Invisible off The Dismemberment Plan's new album (which is generally better than it gets credit for being but has a few really glaring weak points).

Laurels
Mr. Danya

November 27th, 2013, 3:01 pm #10

Toben: I have heard Ray LaMontagne before, although I was only familiar with Trouble because it was in a State Farm commercial. I'm not really familiar with Fleet Foxes, but I just listened to one of their songs. It was pretty good. Maybe I'll look out for them.

That State Farm commercial reminds me of something. I mostly get music by paying attention to movies and TV shows. If there's a song or a piece that I like, I usually search for it and download it. As a result, my music library is a menagerie of genres and artists. Pretty much any time I finish an anime, I look for the theme song or pieces of music from it. This doesn't work for every series, but some series are so good I end up downloading a lot from it (such as Cowboy Bebop and Madoka). Other times, I'll just hear a song on TV, like it, and download it (I originally got into Florence and the Machine because they used Seven Devils for a Game of Thrones commercial).

Does anyone else have odd ways of getting music?
[+] Spoiler
Nadia Riva
"You don't think I'm pretty enough to be a model? And you're telling me while wearing that face?"

Noah Whitley
"You look like you could use a laugh, and I have just the joke for that."

Alba Reyes
"Woo hoo! Three holes in one! That's a new record!"
[+] Spoiler
Girl #007-Rachael Langdon
"I really am going to die, aren't I? Oh god, what am I going to do?"

Armed with a Solar Powered Scientific Calculator
Stabbed with a sword by Marcus Leung.
Girl #018-Claire Monaghan
"You know, I always thought I'd be seen by millions. Fuck Murphy's Law."

Armed with a Shotgun Flashlight (1 Bullet) and a bulletproof vest

Girl #035-Sophie McDowell
"People often find inspiration in the darkest times. I guess I can too."
Killed by a grenade thrown by Summer Simms

Armed with a lead pipe.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

19:10 Laurelena: When octopi eat hamsters, the resulting laughter is a mix of colorful idiocy and dainty ice skating

18:10 Mimi: "how many nipples does Miss Piggy REALLY have?"

16:57 Mimi play Fergaliscious
16:58 Mimi IF YOU EVER WANT FANS
16:58 Mimi YOU NEED FERALISCIOUS
16:58 Mimi FERGALISCIOUS
16:58 Mimi Omg
16:58 Mimi feral-liscious
16:58 Mimi that's
16:58 Mimi blowing my mind

16:57 KamiKaze Laurie, if you ever become a mod, let it be known that one day you will critique someone's profile who had a girl killing her family friend because he raped her, and the person will insult you by calling you a talking Oshawott doll.

21:42Acidic i AM ANAL WART MAN

00:19Delroy.... I HAVE AN IMAGE OF HANSEL FUCKING TRAVIS WITH A CHAINSAW STUCK IN MY HEAD. HOW IS THIS IN ANY WAY GOOD!?

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Rachael Langdon
[+] Spoiler

Rachael Langdon and Claire Monaghan
[+] Spoiler

Rachael Langdon

Claire Monaghan
[+] Spoiler

Claire Monaghan
[+] Spoiler

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

November 27th, 2013, 10:36 pm #11

Laurels wrote:Does anyone else have odd ways of getting music?
I buy bargain bin CDs based solely on the cover art and the title of the last song. It gets me quite the wide array of stuff.

Badb
Mr. Danya

November 28th, 2013, 11:34 am #12

MurderWeasel wrote:
Laurels wrote:Does anyone else have odd ways of getting music?
I buy bargain bin CDs based solely on the cover art and the title of the last song. It gets me quite the wide array of stuff.
You are the proto-hipster.
V5:
B035 - [color=EF98AA]Ray Gilbert[/color] - DECEASED - Guy Fawkes Mask - Too Far Gone
G029 - Zoe Leverett - DECEASED - Machete - To Really Be Alone, To Pick At All the Bones
[/spoiler]
wrote:[15:16] <Naft> My college once nearly burned down because someone tried to make a bong out of dollar bills and the fire alarm didn't work

Deamon
Mr. Danya
Deamon
Mr. Danya

November 29th, 2013, 11:39 pm #13

Just heard Five Finger Death Punch's cover of House of the Rising Sun. Sounds close to the original but has the typical FFDP style which is cool. They did change New Orleans to Sin City so I'm thinking that was to make it more contemporary, still good none the less.
Forrest Quin - At the Zoo
Bret Carter - On a date
Aliya Kimia Nemati - In Training
Arizona - Practicing
[+] Spoiler
Kimiko Kao - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775; - &#9775;
Travis "Trav" Lynch - &#9822; - &#9822; - &#9822; - &#9822; - &#9822; - &#9822; - &#9822;
Cameron Herrig - &#937; - &#937; - &#937;
[+] Spoiler
Gray Emerson - "No. We don't follow."
Yasmin "Yaz" Carroll - "I don't really have a plan anymore."
Christopher Harlin - "You can look me in the eyes and shoot me."

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

November 30th, 2013, 12:19 am #14

Deamon wrote:Just heard Five Finger Death Punch's cover of House of the Rising Sun. Sounds close to the original but has the typical FFDP style which is cool. They did change New Orleans to Sin City so I'm thinking that was to make it more contemporary, still good none the less.
Which original, out of curiosity?

Badb
Mr. Danya

November 30th, 2013, 12:25 am #15

MurderWeasel wrote:
Deamon wrote:Just heard Five Finger Death Punch's cover of House of the Rising Sun. Sounds close to the original but has the typical FFDP style which is cool. They did change New Orleans to Sin City so I'm thinking that was to make it more contemporary, still good none the less.
Which original, out of curiosity?
Oh no.

ONLY PAIN LIES DOWN THIS ROAD.
V5:
[/spoiler]