The collars

Have a question about SOTF? Confused about something? Have a great suggestion for something concerning the site? If so, this is the place for you!

The collars

Rocky
Contender

November 9th, 2010, 11:26 pm #1

Okay, since I just remembered this was here and everything I'm going to ask this formally, as it has been discussed in chat numerous times.

What are the explosive capabilities of the collars? So far it's been left as "up to the writer", but this is probably one of those things we need an official ruling on. Do they decapitate, or just blow out a chunk of the throat? There have been multiple occurances of both happening, and I feel that an official ruling on the exact nature of the explosions is needed.

Crash
Winner

November 9th, 2010, 11:54 pm #2

The nature of human anatomy and its variabilities in itself dictate that there cannot be one official ruling, because:

- Every person is built differently, be it general size, bone structure, resilience, etc.
- The exact force of the explosion cannot be assumed to be uniform given that radio waves are erratic in nature, and
- The circumstances of each explosion are different (tugging on a collar tears it slightly away from the skin before it explodes, while DZ detonation ensures it's still right near the neck, and etc.).

Therefore, leaving it to the handler's discretion is the only appropriate course of action.

If this involves some sort of "let me get the collars off" plot mechanics inquiry, that has to be handled on an individual basis on idea's submitted to the staff team, who will make a mandate on its validity (or lack thereof).
v4 Characters:

G23: Claire Lambert: Property of the Fabulous Mr. Toben

v3 Characters:

B65: Dorian Ibanescu: Coastline

Deceased:

B57 - Jeff Marontate: Cleaved
B120: Jim Middleton: Pummeled
G61: Anna Grout: Submitted
G62: Andrea Vanlandingham: Martyred
G39 Alexis Machina: Crushed
G23: Trish McCarroll: Defeated

natlei was sleeping in her bed when someone came thru her window "get away rapist" she said still half asleep and hit one of them in the head with her liucky frying pan then went back tyo bed them men the injected her with a sedative and carried her off

Rocky
Contender

November 10th, 2010, 12:11 am #3

This was simply a question to see if there was any type of formal explanation, since it is often brought up in the chat. Now that I read this, I understand the reasoning for leaving it up to the writer. I suppose you can close this them :3

Nadir
Cannon Fodder

February 12th, 2011, 1:54 pm #4

Hummm... there is a question on the collars that has been bugging me as well recently. I just wanted to ask: Imagine that one character´s collar is about to explode (not because of a Danger Zone, but because he pissed off Danya in some way, broke some cameras, messed up with one of the other terrorists, tampered with his collar, take your pick...). The thing is, he or she decides that, since he is a goner, he is at least going to take someone with him. So he basically embraces himself to the guy he wants to kill (maybe even making the effort to put his neck with the collar at the height of the opponent´s face as to inflict as much damage as possible), until the collar explodes. Now, do you see a death like this happening or do you think maybe it´s fantasizing too much?
[+] spoiler
SOTF-TV:
Cesar Perdomo: "Damn it! How many times do I have to say it? It?s Cesar, not Caesar! And my surname is Perdomo, not Pedormo...! Damn TV producers..."
[+] spoiler
V5 Character Concepts:
Manuel "Manu" Mart?nez: "Are you even fucking listening to yourself?"
Daniel "Dani" Fern?ndez: "This is not very scientific. Of course, there is no actually any damned reason it should be..."
Andrea "Andre" Mart?nez: "Eh, you there! Are you the asshole who killed my boyfriend?"

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

February 12th, 2011, 5:21 pm #5

The tough thing is, the collars are shaped to apply almost all explosive power inwards, precisely so that there's no shrapnel damage to those nearby. Blowing up other people is bad for ratings. You might be able to do something with the heat, but if you're getting that close, you might as well just grab their collar and yank while you're at it.

chitoryu12
Leader

February 19th, 2011, 10:50 pm #6

The question of this came up again about two nights ago in chat. I happen to know a tiny bit about explosives, so I'll come in on this.

The ring shape likely won't be a very good shaped charge, so there's a good possibility of minor fragmentation. Not exactly something that would kill anyone standing nearby, but enough that if the collar is very close to another object or person, there's a high chance for damage. The heat, concussion, and fragmentation (if the collar is placed within about a foot from the enemy's face) would cause instant, likely permanent blindness and a number of bloody wounds and burns (my guess is second degree) along the face and neck that would have to be quickly treated.

Should the collar be pressed against the face, it's pretty much guaranteed death; along with severe shrapnel damage shredding the face, the concussion has a good chance of driving bone fragments from the skull into the brain.

So yes, you CAN kill someone with your own collar. Yes, it's preferable if you're that close to either stab/shoot them to death or tug their own collar off as well.
Characters for v4

Christopher Carlson: B052
Weapons: Brass knuckles

Jake Crimson: B084 (Adopted)
Weapons: Cinderblock

Characters for v5

Clayton Leven: B050
Weapons: Handcuffs
[+] spoiler
18:38 GeneralGoose yep. having sex with trees is SOOOO me
20:36 Ella I have had several threesomes with teddy bears
13:41 Ruggadance THIS IS DIFFERENT AMPUTEE SEX
21:09 Bake I'll nom her.
13:16 Ruggasexy I SAW THE SEXY STRIPPER PICTURES BEFORE I KNEW OUR ROOM WAS FULL OF SEX TOYS AND LINGERIE
22:53 Ruggadressed You've got to be like Brosidon, king of the brocean
11 GeneralGoose [516] [1288] [267] 2086 Geno, remember when I told you sleep was a capitalist scam?
24 Crash [165] [697] 873 wild, unbridled, rampaging weasel lust
00:07 BetaKnight open wounds and fecal matter is a no-no

Un-Persona
Mr. Danya

March 10th, 2012, 3:58 am #7

hmmm...say a character starts strangling another character, would the collar interfere or does Danya (or Greynolds) know if someone's being strangled?
V7 relationship thread! Say hi to my kids!
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ & ❤ ❤
[+] spoiler
V7 - ❤ ❤ ❤ - PV3 - {❤} ❤ ❤ - TV3 - ❤ ❤ - V8 - ❤ ❤ ❤
[+] spoiler
21:33RattlesnakeIf you can't ninja roll the solution is to get naked until you can ninja roll

Justice for Natali - Today at 4:21 PM
Your adorable face will not save you from the long dick of the law

Gianni - Today at 8:05 PM
Sometimes the big tru tru different than the small tru tru

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

March 10th, 2012, 4:03 am #8

Hiya!

The collars are fairly rigid, so strangulation attempts would probably be better either above or below them. To set a collar off requires a lot of pressure, usually in a concerted burst (one quick pull or sharp jerk was established to set off the V4 collars; slower exploration/light tugging, however, did not).

That said, the process is mechanical, and, especially in light of V4, it is very unlikely strangulation would get a collar deactivated, however temporarily.

Of course, the collars are getting a redesign for V5, so this info may change.

Un-Persona
Mr. Danya

March 10th, 2012, 4:16 am #9

Ah, Thank You, I was just wondering because i was reading Jimmy Brennan's Last Thread, and I was just wondering how Alex White's Neck Didn't Go KA-BOOM.
V7 relationship thread! Say hi to my kids!
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ & ❤ ❤
[+] spoiler
V7 - ❤ ❤ ❤ - PV3 - {❤} ❤ ❤ - TV3 - ❤ ❤ - V8 - ❤ ❤ ❤
[+] spoiler
21:33RattlesnakeIf you can't ninja roll the solution is to get naked until you can ninja roll

Justice for Natali - Today at 4:21 PM
Your adorable face will not save you from the long dick of the law

Gianni - Today at 8:05 PM
Sometimes the big tru tru different than the small tru tru

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

March 10th, 2012, 4:19 am #10

Hahaha, yeah. There have been several incidents of people strangling each other without collars going off over the versions, and I think maybe one where the collar DID blow, and, if I recall correctly, it was because the guy specifically yanked on it trying to detonate it.

That said, I haven't read all of V1-3, so I can't say for sure that this has only happened once.