Hollyquin
Winner

October 12th, 2010, 2:56 am #11

Hayley managed- somehow- to hold back her laughter at the color Ema's face was slowly turning. Pfft...she's starting to match her hair, I swear to god...Still, like, I guess it makes sense. We dated for like two months and we never got anywhere near this and now we're on a fucking island trying to kill each other and I'm like. Naked. But...like...it's so funny... Somehow, though, she managed to stuff it, keeping her visible amusement limited to a small smile on her face. She opened her mouth to speak, but then-

"Who's your friend?"

Oh yeah, this isn't going to be awkward at all.

Hayley looked beside her, and yep, there was Kyle, all tall and shirtless and wet and sexy as hell. Not that that's gonna do me any favors right now...urgh. This is some Degrassi bullshit right here.

"I'm Ema, we, err.. Hayley and I used to, uh... we used to date, last year, actually..."

AWKWARD AWKWARD AWKWARD AWKWARD AWKWARD

"Yeah, er, I thought you two had met?" Lies lies lies. Hayley knew damn well the two had never met, hell, she'd made a point of ensuring the two never crossed paths. The sure to ensue drama had steered her away from trying, not that that was working out particularly well for her now. "Uhm, Ema, this is Kyle...my boyfriend. Kyle, this is Ema, my best friend." She put some emphasis on the best friend bit in order to not linger on this whole boyfriend-meets-ex-girlfriend awkwardness, not that she expected that ploy to do much.

She turned back to Ema specifically, given that Kyle was fully caught up on the events-at-hand.

"So, like, I've been looking for you with Maddy this whole time! I got really fucking lucky and woke up by the groundskeeper's hut and Maddy was RIGHT THERE and we were just all, like, oh shit, let us go forth and adventure and find us some Ema Ryan! And some other people, obviously, and we ended up running into Alex...you know Alex? Alex Campbell? We ran into him down at the greens, and he was with this girl Charlene and this guy Jon, but he was being a dick, so he left-" she realized she was probably putting in too much detail as it was and so left out the shooting- "and then the greens turned into a dangerzone so we were like ohhh shit and we ended up at the fun fair, which was, for the record, in no way fun, and that's where we found Kyle, and then-"

Fuck. The run-on sentence cut off as Hayley took a breath and realized she'd forgotten that she was going to have to tell big fucking lies here. She'd just found Ema, she didn't want to scare her off already. Lies of omission are still lies but...eh. Oh well. Truth's all gonna come out in the morning anyway.

"...and then we were going to stay there for the night, but I wanted to go off on my own, and Kyle wanted to come with. So we came here because...because I wanted to wash up. Can't be all gross just because people getting all stab-happy, right?"

She grinned a fake, fake grin. Better to have her think that I came out here to fuck my boyfriend than to have her think I'm a murderer.

She's going to know in the morning either way.

Whatever. Give me a couple of hours of peace. Enough to sleep, maybe, that would be awesome. Deal with the drama and bullshit in the morning.

Whatever makes you happy, honeybee.

"So...yeah, we're all clean now. I figure we're all in desperate need of sleep, and here seems like a good place, so..." Hayley realized a possibility and frowned. "Assuming you want to stay. Uhm...please stay? I...don't want to lose you again." I must look REALLY pathetic right now. That aside, it was clear that she was now being nothing if not honest. "We could take shifts, make sure we all get at least a little sleep. We're meeting up with Maddy and Alex and Charlene at the groundskeeper's hut in the morning. I left all my clothes there, so I can get some new ones..."

She realized a little late that she'd revealed a bit too much. Her dress was obviously out- it lay with her sword, also soaked with blood and now sandy in addition. She was going to have to make her way to the hut mostly naked. In broad daylight. Fun times lay ahead! Fuck, if nothing else, best distraction technique ever. But for now she was going to have to distract Ema from the slip-up she'd just made.

"...I'm sorry about all this, by the way," she said, motioning to herself, scratching her head a bit sheepishly. "I...wasn't exactly expecting company."
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.
[+] spoiler
[V4] ESCAPED:
[x] Garrett Hunter [B138] [KC: 0] // Sitting at home, figuring some shit out.
"If there's anything I can do...anywhere I can fight, send me there. I want to help." // ♕ - ♕ - ♕ - ♕ - ♕ - ♕ - ♕ - ♕ - ♕ - ♕ - ♕

[V4] DECEASED:
[x] Hayley Kelly [G103] [KC: 7] // RANK 33
I don't want to go. // ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥
[x] Jasper-Declan MacDermott [B129] [KC: 0] // RANK 93
Perhaps...it was worth it, after all. // ❂ - ❂ - ❂ - ❂ - ❂ - ❂ - ❂ - ❂ - ❂
[x] Vivien Morin [B062] [KC: 0] // RANK 131
Goodnight, Sylvie. // ♀ - ♀ - ♀ - ♀ - ♀
[x] Maria Santiago [G110] [KC: 0] // RANK 258
"So...I guess...I'm going to heaven after all..." // ✝ - ✝

October 12th, 2010, 4:55 am #12

Kyle nodded greetings to Ema. Hayley's ex, eh? The undeniably male part of Kyle gave it's approval- girl on girl is hot, after all. But those lower brain functions were mostly useless and served only to embarrass Kyle at inappropriate times. More important was the terminology Hayley insisted on- "best friend" instead of "ex-girlfriend." Hayley was trying to shield Kyle's feelings. How cute. He would have to make mention of it later, tell her that it was unnecessary but adorable. Still, he would use the terminology that she insisted on. She also lied. Kyle wasn't always the best with memory, but he knew he had never been introduced before. In fact, Hayley seemed to have taken special care to avoid mentioning her exes. A note to be made.

More important still was Hayley's story of events. Kyle knew slightly more- no mention of the shooting was made- but still learned a bit about what Hayley had been doing before they reunited. Most importantly, she did not mention the... incident. Probably a good idea. Ema looked... well, she looked like a tomato now. But Kyle didn't know her well. Her reactions to Hayley's incident were unknowable. Hayley extended an offer to Ema, for the purposes of joining their merry band. And she suggested sleep- a semi wonderful suggestion, except for... Kyle wasn't tired.

That's not to say he wasn't fatigued- that he was, and he would be sore come the morning. It was that... sleep wouldn't be easy to reach. He usually had troubles sleeping without his pills anyway- restless fidgeting and the urge to arrange things on his bedside table into groups of three kept him awake. Here though, there were additional problems. For one thing, completion of his normal nightly ritual would be impossible. For another thing, and it was a thing that would likely plague Hayley too, he could still see that boy's face in his mind. The blood would never be entirely washed away, from him or from Hayley. He kind of hoped that those who had stayed behind would bury the boy, or at least perform some sort of last rite. Last thing they needed was restless dead coming after them.

"If we do sleep here, I'll keep watch. I'm not tired."
[+] spoiler
G073 - Kaitlyn Williams - Datrex Emergency Food Bars (5/5) - Sup Nerds?

Chib
Leader

October 12th, 2010, 4:18 pm #13

"Yeah, er, I thought you two had met? Uhm, Ema, this is Kyle...my boyfriend. Kyle, this is Ema, my best friend."

She thought they'd met? Unlikely. For all Ema could recall, the only times she'd even heard mention of Kyle was vicariously through Hayley, and decidedly vaguely at that. As if she didn't want anyone knowing who she was with... or rather, she didn't want someone knowing. Thinking about it, and factoring in just how awkward the situation was right then, Ema couldn't blame Hayley for trying (and succeeding until then) to keep her and Kyle apart. Deceptive, definately, but for the best? More than likely. Off the island, who knows how a meeting like this would have gone?

The other part that Ema picked up on was her own designated title. Not ex-girlfriend, as she'd established already, but best friend. Best friend? It had taken everything Madelyn had to get the two of them to be anything more than civil to one another, so now they were best friends? But, as with before, Ema began to understand. Kyle didn't know her, much better to let him go on not knowing the pair's less-than-pleasant history, and pretend they'd always been on the friendly terms they were currently. Either way, she was pleased by the promotion.

"So, like, I've been looking for you with Maddy this whole time! I got really fucking lucky...

Well this wasn't uncomfortable at all. Certainly not. The sheer awkwardness definately had nothing to do with Hayley non-stop monologueing, nor anything to do with Ema's absolute silence the whole time, despite the desire to speak up, many times.

...because I wanted to wash up. Can't be all gross just because people getting all stab-happy, right?"

Even Ema felt out of breath after that. It had certainly been one hell of a long sentence, probably longer than the sum of everything she'd said on the island herself, so far. Odd thing to come to mind, really. Regardless, in Hayley's haste, most of the information had gone right over Ema's head, amounting to a list of places and names that didn't mean much to her. The only thing that really registered was Madelyn's name, as, besides Hayley, Maddy was probably the only other person Ema considered trusting on faith alone. She almost asked where her other friend was, but quickly realised Hayley was hardly going to bring the whole group along to watch her washing. The other thing she almost asked was why it had been so important to wash off right away, without any clothes to change in to, but Ema decided against that as well. Maybe it was personal.

"So...yeah, we're all clean now. I figure we're all in desperate need of sleep, and here seems like a good place, so... Assuming you want to stay. Uhm...please stay? I...don't want to lose you again. We could take shifts, make sure we all get at least a little sleep. We're meeting up with Maddy and Alex and Charlene at the groundskeeper's hut in the morning. I left all my clothes there, so I can get some new ones..."

Broken up by uncomfortably silent pauses, but still comparably long, Ema waited until the end of Hayley's diatribe to offer "You could borrow some of mine until then... if you want, that is, I mean..." she stopped herself there, not wanting to go off on a tangent about sharing clothes, and simply ended with "...yeah." But wait... what had she been wearing before getting into the water? Surely putting dirty clothes back on was preferable to nothing at all, particularly at night? It didn't really make sense to Ema, but she reasoned to herself "Don't sweat it, you're tired, just sleep and think about this tomorrow. Probably a good reason for it.". Good old inner dialogue, so wise and helpful.

Ema nodded. She hadn't gotten any decent sleep for over twenty four hours, and the mention of sleep had started tiredness washing over the girl's mind. Her eyes were already feeling heavy, rightly so, and she certainly wasn't about to argue with Kyle if he was offering her a longer rest.

"...I'm sorry about all this, by the way, I...wasn't exactly expecting company."

She nodded to that as well, shrugging her camping luggage off of her shoulder and into her hands. Walking off towards the patch of trees she'd arrived at - rather inviting with it's soft, loamy soil and shady canopy - she dug down to the bottom of the main compartment, producing a towel bearing the Irish flag (a slightly embarrassing gift from her parents that she'd actually grown rather proud of, over the years), and a soft black blanket. She offered both to Hayley, with a rather yawn-ridden "You might want those."
Every time you fall asleep you die. Someone else wakes up in your body, thinking they're you.
You are alone and trapped in your own mind, the world around you is your lie.
Soon you will be nothing, you will never again hear sounds, never again see colours, never again be anyone.

Riley Moon appreciates that Action Needs an Audience, but it's hard not to watch. Hair Status: Bubblegum Pink
Parallel with: The Heavy Weapons Guy
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
G045 - Ema Ryan - Never made it home.
Reaching out for someone who was never there, laying flat on her face in a pool of her own blood in the Residential Area; Maladjusted
|- -3 -| |- -2 -> -1 -|
|- 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5 -> 6 -> 7 -> 8 -> 9 -> 10 -> 11 -> 12 -> 13 -> 14 -> 15 -> 16 -> 17 -> 18 -> 19 -> 20 -> 21 -> 22 -> 23 -> 24 -> 25 -> 26 -|
Status - Dead: Succumbed to wounds inflicted by Saul Fetteralf and Raidon Naoko
Weaponry on body - Falcata, Hunga Munga, Vektor CP1 - 0/10 (+ 2/10 & 10/10), Colt Anaconda - 5/6 + 12, Model 14 Nambu - 0/8 + 3/8 Taurus PT99 - 7/15 + 1x15, Model 176B - 5 darts
[9/276] - 8 Kills - Died Day 13

B114 - Logan Reynolds - Told himself a little harmless lie.
Laying under blood and broken glass in the Hall of Mirrors; Laisse tomber les filles
|- -1 -| |- 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5 -> 6 -> 7 -> 8 -|
Status - Dead: Shotgunned by Bill Davis
[153/276] - 0 Kills - Died Day 6

B152 - Steve Barnes - Found a little piece of heaven.
Laying headless in the middle of the Fun Fair; Break Up And Break Down
|- 1 -> 2 -> 3 -|
Status - Dead: Decapitated by Hayley Kelly
[245/276] 0 Kills - Died Day 2
[+] spoiler
Brown #3: Eloise Winterburn told herself she wouldn't beg.
Location: Somewhere out in The Open Plains - A Portrait Of Skin
|- -3 -> -2 -> -1 -| |- 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -|
Weaponry: Sledgehammer [Taken by Jacob]

Pink #5: Isaac King had ironic last thoughts, come to think of it.
Location: The Cruise Ship - Magical Bunny Girl Warrior Sidney-Chan
|- 1 -> 2 -> 3 -|
Weaponry: IMI Desert Eagle [Taken by Vincent]

Hollyquin
Winner

October 12th, 2010, 5:03 pm #14

You know, this is going almost well. In a really fucking awkward kind of way.

Hayley had to resist a literal sigh of relief when Ema didn't question the reasoning behind her actions, or why she just didn't put her old clothes back on, or any of that fun-to-explain stuff. The other girl was...quiet, too quiet, almost as though she had thought through the possible reasons of Hayley's awkwardness and general failure at lying and had simply decided she didn't want to know, or just didn't really care.

Yeah, Ema's smart, she's gonna know something's up, but...

But tomorrow she'll know for sure. She won't trust you.

She won't trust me if I tell her now! How the fuck do you think she's gonna sleep if she finds out now that I killed someone?!

Think she'd rather find out now from you, or tomorrow from Danya?

She couldn't respond to that, even mentally. There was no answer.

"You could borrow some of mine until then... if you want, that is, I mean...yeah."

Hayley blinked. There's a distraction if I've ever heard one.

"You brought your clothes with you...? Damn, girly, you must be exhausted. I left all my crap back at the hut, didn't want to carry around more than I had to..."

The phrase more than I had to made her remember her backpack. Remembering her backpack made her remember her bread. Remembering her bread reminded her that she was still really really hungry, but since her bag was with her bloody sword and dress- hell, it was bloody itself- she decided against it. Best to ignore her hunger for now. It could wait until morning.

"I think I'm alright for now. Maybe in the morning?" She decided to leave out the fact that she normally slept naked. Ema was tomato-like enough as it was.

Hayley looked over at Kyle in surprise. "How are you not tired?! We've already been up for like. Probably thirty-something hours now? Unless you slept on the first night, cause I know I didn't." Despite her shock, Hayley was not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. No use complaining at extra sleep. I'm SOOO tired. There's no way it's earlier than, like, midnight right now- though she had no way of knowing it, she was about right in her estimation- and if I'm gonna not pass out tomorrow I need to sleep.

Hope Kyle will be okay, though...

She followed Ema over to what was apparently their chosen campsite, which did, admittedly, look pretty comfortable. Hayley was about to complain that she didn't particularly want to sleep in dirt- she had just washed, after all- when Ema produced a blanket and towel. "You might want those," Ema said, yawning, prompting Hayley to yawn as well. She smiled appreciatively, spreading the towel out on the ground and curling up on top of it, getting cozy under the blanket. Oh man, I'm gonna sleep like a baby. But then, frowning suddenly, she looked up at Ema.

"You can fit too, right? Come on, it's so comfortable. I can't even."

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.
[+] spoiler
[V4] ESCAPED:
"If there's anything I can do...anywhere I can fight, send me there. I want to help." // ♕ - ♕ - ♕ - ♕ - ♕ - ♕ - ♕ - ♕ - ♕ - ♕ - ♕

[V4] DECEASED:
I don't want to go. // ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥

October 12th, 2010, 10:38 pm #15

Hayley's exclamation of disbelief in Kyle's lack of tiredness was met with a shrug. The explanation of why he wasn't tired would be one he would not tell, due to it involving secrets kept from Ema. He walked up the beach to where he had dumped his stuff and pulled his shirt back on. It stuck to his wet skin, making him itch slightly. His pants were covered in sand. It was strange- he couldn't think of how it had happened. Perhaps his walking kicked sand up onto his pants, where it stuck. The stuff was pervasive- Kyle was certain his daypack had been closed, and yet when he sought his water inside, there was sand at the bottom. If he were more philosophically inclined, he would muse on the similarities between sand and... something... else. Whatever.

While Ema and Hayley were setting up their sleeping arrangements (Kyle bristled slightly at Hayley's casual suggestion that she and Ema lie together- it was an uncommon display of jealousy, and he mentally crushed it before it could continue), Kyle gathered Hayley's blood covered dress and sword. The sword he wiped off (using, as it was the only thing close to hand, Hayley's dress) and placed by his supplies, while he placed the dress at the bottom of his bag. It was rolled up unceremoniously and without care- the dress was probably ruined anyway. He picked his knife up from where it lay, knocking the sand off gently before placing it in his pocket, then transported his and Hayley's supplies up to the small campsite. He leaned the sword against a rock, then leaned against the same rock, the sword close to hand. It was a far more useful weapon than his own knife. Out of deference to the third wheel, Kyle did not give Hayley a good night kiss. No need to make Ema uncomfortable.

There would be enough discomfort in the morning- with two nights gone past without sleeping, Kyle would be reaching the limits of his energy the next day. He was fortunate to be well hydrated from daily life, and he had rationed his water carefully to keep himself feeling hydrated, but hydration only did so much for energy before sleep deprivation destroyed that bonus. And the announcements, just a few short hours away.... Hayley's name would be among those called out, the players and the played. If Kyle were Alex and the others, he would probably not want Hayley with them after that announcement; it made them seem dangerous, which would certainly get them hurt.

Time would tell.
[+] spoiler

Chib
Leader

October 13th, 2010, 6:52 pm #16

"You brought your clothes with you...? Damn, girly, you must be exhausted. I left all my crap back at the hut, didn't want to carry around more than I had to..."

Exhausted? Might as well be an understatement. She'd rested her body just barely enough to stay upright for the day, and her mind was already starting to go blank for a few seconds at a time, dozing off to semi-sleep whenever it thought Ema wasn't doing anything important. Every few seconds, she'd snap 'awake', and remind herself she really needed some genuine sleep.

But something seemed wrong to Ema, just for a moment. She couldn't put her finger on it, but it just appeared to her that there was something Hayley and Kyle weren't telling her. It just felt too odd a set of coincidences to come together, but... no, maybe she was just paranoid. After all, she was on Survival of the Fittest, paranoia's the name of the game, but if she couldn't even trust the few friends she had, well, who could Ema trust? Maybe it was blind faith, or just mental exhaustion, but Ema decided to perish the thoughts from her mind. If it still seemed wrong tomorrow, maybe she'd be alert enough to think about it all properly. Then again, Hayley did look awfully uncomfortable, and not just because she was cold, wet and underdressed...

"I think I'm alright for now. Maybe in the morning?"

Apparently not underdressed enough, though. Oh well, saved Ema the trouble of rooting through her things again. Meanwhile, Hayley seemed considerably more incredulous about Kyle's proported lack of tiredness than she herself was, and quite understandably. By that point, Ema could quite easily have dropped where she stood. The last two days had really taken it out of her. In fact, that sounded rather inviting... she offered Hayley a towel to dry herself off with, and a blanket to keep her warm in lieu of being fully clothed... she shut her eyes, "Just for a second, I need to... rest them for... just a second...". That's what she told herself. Just for a second.

"A second" later, Kyle had already finished gathering his and Hayley's things and was in the process of bringing them over to their chosen camp site. He leaned against a large rock, alongside him a mean looking sword, glinting faintly in the starlight. Pretty, really, Ema had always had a thing for nicely designed swords.

"You can fit too, right? Come on, it's so comfortable. I can't even."

Again with the aimless trails of thought, not at all helped by her drowsy state of mind, Ema had completely forgotten about Hayley. She looked around, trying unsuccessfully not to look startled, to find her ex-girlfriend curled up atop the towel, wrapped up in that so-very-inviting blanket. Surely Kyle wouldn't mind, right? Not like Ema was dangerous competition for romance, a little oddball like herself. Besides, she was over Hayley by now, wasn't she? Totally... definately? Probably. What difference did it make anyway? It was just sharing a blanket, not like they were doing anything else. Hayley's state of undress totally wasn't a factor in it.

No, Ema definately wasn't thinking about the risqué matching bra and panties - nor the alluring body they contained - as she managed a rather weak "I guess...".

She certainly wasn't trying to forget what Hayley had done to her less than a year ago, as she shrugged off her hooded coat and let it fall haphazardly into the dirt.

There was absolutely no way she was wishing things had gone differently when she finally crawled up next to her friend, pulling the thin material tightly around herself.

Because she was totally over Hayley. No second thoughts about the relationship they used to have. No regrets about not taking it as far as she'd like to have. They were just two friends, sharing warmth on a cold night.

The last thing Ema heard before she dropped off, before her semi-conscious arm found it's way across Hayley's shoulder, was that same voice in her mind. It just wouldn't let her be.

"Who the fuck do you think you're kidding, eh?"
Every time you fall asleep you die. Someone else wakes up in your body, thinking they're you.
Soon you will be nothing, you will never again hear sounds, never again see colours, never again be anyone.

Riley Moon appreciates that Action Needs an Audience, but it's hard not to watch. Hair Status: Bubblegum Pink
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
Reaching out for someone who was never there, laying flat on her face in a pool of her own blood in the Residential Area; Maladjusted
|- -3 -| |- -2 -> -1 -|
|- 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5 -> 6 -> 7 -> 8 -> 9 -> 10 -> 11 -> 12 -> 13 -> 14 -> 15 -> 16 -> 17 -> 18 -> 19 -> 20 -> 21 -> 22 -> 23 -> 24 -> 25 -> 26 -|
Weaponry on body - Falcata, Hunga Munga, Vektor CP1 - 0/10 (+ 2/10 & 10/10), Colt Anaconda - 5/6 + 12, Model 14 Nambu - 0/8 + 3/8 Taurus PT99 - 7/15 + 1x15, Model 176B - 5 darts

Laying under blood and broken glass in the Hall of Mirrors; Laisse tomber les filles

|- 1 -> 2 -> 3 -|
[+] spoiler

|- 1 -> 2 -> 3 -|

Hollyquin
Winner

October 13th, 2010, 8:09 pm #17

The whole thing was totally easy.

This wasn't a big deal. Right? Sleeping in the same...uh...towel as your friend? That was normal, right? Well, nothing else about the situation as a whole was normal, but sleeping with a friend was normal. For girls, anyway. She'd had a million sleepovers with Maddy and sometimes one of them would forget a sleeping bag or an air mattress was broken or something and they'd slept in the same bed. Totally no big deal at all. They'd just slept. And the fact that Hayley's clothing was practically non-existent or that Hayley and Ema had dated or that the tension in the air could be cut with a knife or that Hayley was in no way over Ema-

Hold that thought, okay? Just hold it.

It was normal and easy and no big deal. Obviously.

She curled up under the blanket, next to her friend, her mind blanking, barely conscious of the arm that draped across her shoulder...

Time passed.

Hayley Kelly's mind had an unusual way of working. Her dreams were a sympathetic mind's way of spicing up what was, by her standards, an absurdly boring mind. Her dreams were frequent, colorful, unusual, and she regretted waking up from even the bad ones. Even those- the zombie apocalypses, the demonic dreamscapes, and yes, even the dreams of being on Survival of the Fittest- were more interesting than her everyday life. Anything was, anything would be. Normalcy was the worst thing in the world, and any escape from the mundane was an escape. No matter how awful that escape was.

Now, with her situation anything but mundane, her sleep was dreamless.

She awoke to find herself as close to Ema as she could have managed, her body having unconsciously apparently pressed into hers. Ema's arm was still around her. She had no way of knowing if Ema was awake- she couldn't see her face- but...she didn't move an inch.

Might as well enjoy this moment. It's not gonna last much longer.

Five minutes of peace, and then, static.

Hayley sat up immediately, reaching for her bag, which Kyle had thankfully moved nearby. She spared him a quick look, seeing that he was still awake and alive, before returning to the matter at hand.

"Do you kids know what makes Uncle Danya happy?..."

She dug through her bag for her cigarettes. She was going to need one in a minute.

"Things like... fine cigars, roast dinners, quiet nights in with Mrs. Danya... those things make Uncle Danya happy. But what also makes Uncle Danya happy is when his beloved students are game for the competition."

She retrieved the pack, plucking a cancer stick from within- counting and finding she had been doing a damn good job of rationing thus far- and returning the pack to her bag, searching for a lighter.

"Ladies and gentlemen of Bayview secondary school. You are making me a very happy man indeed. Not content with your fantastic showing across day one, you decided to not only match but exceed yourselves!"

She paused, lighter in hand.

"The second day of our little competition saw twenty-one students bite the dust, buy the farm and shuffle off their mortal coils! Kids... my hat is off to you."

"...Holy shit."

Twenty one?! God, how many is that now? Like...forty? Jesus fucking Christ...

Twenty one students. Twenty one more chances for Maddy or Alex or Dutchy or Isabel or Jay to die.

On the bright side...it wasn't just me. ...Wow, terrible human being much?

She lit the cigarette.

The announcements went about as well as she could have hoped. This time, more than last, she took mental note of the names that Danya spoke. She recognized a few, though none well enough for her to mourn them. Eve, for example- she had a baby, right? Damn, that's...that's really awful... She almost laughed at the mention of Jonathon- serves him fucking right -but for obvious reasons, she no longer felt like doing anything like being happy.

"Eleventh to die was one Steve Barnes, who found out that Hayley Kelly losing her head meant him losing his..."

"Ha. Ha."

Hayley's voice was bitter.

"Danya needs to learn that puns are the lowest form of humor..."

She took a long drag of her cigarette and blew the smoke away, drawing the blanket close to her. Not looking at Ema. She wouldn't. She couldn't.

I can't do this.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:
[+] spoiler
[V4] ESCAPED:

[V4] DECEASED:

October 13th, 2010, 8:49 pm #18

The night passed. Kyle watched the ocean, listening to the gentle sound of the waves. He fell into a meditative state, letting his mind filter through the events of the last two days. No students approached them, with night time travel being an almost certain death sentence- there was, after all, a bear somewhere on the island. He tried not to react with jealousy when Hayley unconsciously snuggled closer to Ema- it didn't matter. He trusted Hayley would remain faithful. And then... the thing he had been dreading.

Danya was happy, elated, even, with the results of the previous day. 21 students. That meant that there were now 210 left on the island, if they had started with 250. How large was the senior class, anyway? 250 seemed like a good estimate. Hayley's name stood out, although Kyle didn't think that was anything about her name- just that he had been listening so strongly for it. He stood taller, stretching his exhausted muscles. His eyes were carefully locked on Ema, who could attack Hayley at any moment- he didn't think she would, his first impression of her had been that she was fairly gentle.

Hayley was already taking a drag of a cigarette. Frankly, Kyle wished he could join her- something to remove his stress would be welcomed, but he had no addiction or dependency for nicotine. Also, cigarette smoke made him wheeze. He sat down beside Hayley, putting a comforting arm over her shoulders. No words filled his head as the "appropriate" thing to say. There was nothing to be said. Any words of comfort would ring hollow. The repercussions of the announcements were a huge deterrent from the concept of playing. There was no anonymity if you played, nothing to keep your identity secret, except maybe losing your mind and fashioning a ninja mask from your own pants. And only then if the collars didn't transmit the identity of the wearer.
[+] spoiler

Chib
Leader

October 13th, 2010, 10:10 pm #19

It didn't take Ema long to drift off. The last time she'd slept beside another person was over ten years ago, as a child. She'd had recurring nightmares, and could only get any restful sleep in her parents' arms. When she thought about it, and she often did, Ema often attributed her seeming inability to dream to those nights. Regardless, laying down next to someone bestowed an inexplicable comfort and sense of safety, letting the exhausted young girl skip her usual half-hour of laying awake, and skip straight to sleep.

With her subconscious in control, Ema's body didn't wait long before it began to shift, gradually moving closer to Hayley, gripping a little tighter with the one arm draped across the other girl. Whether she was merely moving closer to the nice-feeling source of heat, or if there was a less innocent, albeit non-conscious, motive, was anyone's guess.

---

Morning came too soon. Sapped of energy as she'd been, Ema could quite happily have slept until noon, perhaps later. It started with faint sunlight, colouring her eyelids enough to change the blackness Ema saw to a deep red shade of almost-translucent flesh. Half-awake, she fought it, turning her head back towards the darkness, trying in vain to stop herself from fully awakening.

It was hopeless, though, for the moment she realised where she'd accidentally put her face - almost pressed straight into Hayley's chest - she almost-instantly regained full consciousness, and resisted the urge to jerk away... because she didn't want to wake Hayley up, if she was still sleeping, not because she was enjoying it, of course. A few minutes passed like that, and although Ema knew she wouldn't be getting back to sleep, nor was doing so a good idea, she enjoyed the relaxation. The closest thing to a lie-in she'd likely ever get again, might as well savour it.

But all good things must come to an end. Through unseen speakers, a screech of feedback sounded, followed by a few moments of static. Hayley was roused, if she hadn't been awake already, and she got up. Ema rolled over onto her back, pushing the blanket off of her. Looking down at herself, she started to think about how disgusting her clothes had become from two days straight of hiking. The thoughts didn't get very far, as Danya began to speak.

"Do you kids know what makes Uncle Danya happy?..."

"Nope, but I guess I'm about to find out," Ema grumbled, sitting up. The loathsome man seemed awfully laid back, pleased with himself. Then again, he probably had good reason, since he actually enjoyed the 'fun' of his 'game'. Ema even did the air-quotes, in spite of not actually speaking her thoughts.

"Things like... fine cigars, roast dinners, quiet nights in with Mrs. Danya... those things make Uncle Danya happy. But what also makes Uncle Danya happy is when his beloved students are game for the competition."

Yup, an extended... metaphor? Not really a metaphor, but whatever. Extended innocent sounding part, followed by the predictable sadism. Game for the competition, Danya-speak for "Doing lots of murdering."

"Ladies and gentlemen of Bayview secondary school. You are making me a very happy man indeed. Not content with your fantastic showing across day one, you decided to not only match but exceed yourselves! The second day of our little competition saw twenty-one students bite the dust, buy the farm and shuffle off their mortal coils! Kids... my hat is off to you."

Predictable indeed. Either Ema was developing clairvoyance, or Danya was an easy man to read. He probably did it intentionally, Ema decided, as part of his TV personality. Wait... was she considering the mainstream-media implications of the announcement? Ema almost physically slapped herself, and started paying attention to what Danya was actually saying. Twenty one more students dead. Added to the nineteen from yesterday, that made a round forty. Forty more statistics that might have been Ema herself. As bad as it made her feel, she counted herself lucky she'd survived so far, not wanting to think about the fact that there was now an even greater proportion of people-that-would-kill-her to people-that-probably-wouldn't.

After that, came the names. At first, not unlike day one, none of them meant much to Ema, decidedly unsocial as she was. She paid attention at "Eva Lancaster", before realising that she was thinking of an "Eve", not an "Eva". Hayley looked uncomfortable. Kyle looked like he was bracing himself for something. Neither could bring themselves to look at her, it seemed.

"Are you guys..." she began, about to ask if something was wrong, if they knew something she didn't. Before she could even begin down the trail of thought as to what it could be, Danya again interrupted.

"Take a bow, Eve Walker-Luther, for your starring role in Sarah's creative masterpiece."

The sentence was broken off instantly, a breath catching in Ema's throat. Eve was dead? The one new person she'd met on the island that she'd felt safe around, the young mother with the weird mannerisms, dead? She'd only known Eve for a few hours, but the news hit Ema like a physical blow, the one sort-of-friend she'd gained had already been cruelly taken away, first by fleeing, now by death. Ema's mouth remained open, halfway through forming the O in "okay", whilst the rest of her face sank.

The next few names passed over her ears entirely unnoticed. Jaw still agape, expression still ashen, Ema only had time to consider the percieved spite in Eve's death. But something managed to penetrate the fugue, something far more soul-crushing. It was instantly recognisable as what Hayley and Kyle had been nervous about. What they hadn't been telling her.

"Eleventh to die was one Steve Barnes, who found out that Hayley Kelly losing her head meant him losing his."

Hayley Kelly. The same Hayley Kelly that Ema had just spent last evening with. The same she'd just slept alongside. The same she'd dated almost a year prior. The same she couldn't quite get over her crush on. The same that was sitting not ten feet away from Ema that very instant.

"Ha. Ha. Danya needs to learn that puns are the lowest form of humor..."

That was all she had to say for herself in response? A bitter, snide remark at Danya's sense of humour? Somehow, impossibly, Ema's face had sunk even further into it's expression of speechless horror, not at all helped by Hayley's remarks. She didn't even consider that there could be extenuating circumstances. That it could've been an accident, or in self defense. She didn't think for a moment that Hayley's conscience was thinking the exact same things as Ema herself was. There was room only for one thought. A loud, shouted one.

"You killed him!?"

That one lead to another. Quieter. Vulnerable sounding.

"Why didn't you tell me before?"

And one last one, just barely above a whisper.

"Why... why did I have to hear it from... him?"

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
|- -3 -| |- -2 -> -1 -|

|- 1 -> 2 -> 3 -|
[+] spoiler

|- 1 -> 2 -> 3 -|

Hollyquin
Winner

October 14th, 2010, 2:35 am #20

"You killed him!?"

Hayley didn't want this. Didn't need this. Couldn't do this. Not right now. Not ever.

You knew this was coming. You had time. You could've thought about it all night if you wanted to. But what were you expecting when you killed him? That all of your friends would just not give a shit, be all like, oh it's okay, it's just Hayley, I'm sure it's no big deal? What the fuck? Unless you're a fucking idiot, and maybe you are, that would explain a lot, you knew this was coming from the second your sword hit that boy's neck. What was his name? Steve? Not that you care.

Shut up, okay? Shut up. I know. I'm stupid. I shouldn't have waited. I just wanted everything to be okay for one night at least, you know? One fucking night, and I got it.

And was it worth it?

Yeah, it fucking was. So shut the fuck up. And don't act like you know how I feel.

Of course I know how you feel, honeybee. I am you.

Fuck you. Just...fuck you.

Real mature. You're the one who can't deal with the real world right now. You're the one who can't deal with the nasty, icky, gross thoughts she's having and you're the one who has to act like it's someone else having those thoughts for you. You're sad, you're pathetic, and you're not cut out for this game.

If you're gonna be a killer, fucking own up to it.

Otherwise, go ahead and off yourself now. It'll hurt less.

Hayley hadn't moved yet. Her cigarette was burning slowly, wasted, and she sort of cared but she didn't really because she had plenty left and anyway if she took a pull right now she would look like she was ignoring Ema but she already looked like she was ignoring Ema and she was so glad that Kyle was there because this was impossible, unlivable, undoable alone, hell it was undoable either way but at least this way she could pretend that not EVERYONE hated her even though she was pretty sure everyone hated her including Maddy and Alex even though they were being nice probably because they didn't want her to go crazy and kill them too and Kyle probably hated her too but he was being nice out of some sense of duty or something and now Ema would hate her too but what was she supposed to do this was for their own good all of it all of it all for them she couldn't she wouldn't she loved them this was for-

She realized she'd been holding her breath.

Inhale.

Exhale.

"Why didn't you tell me before?"

Quieter. Less anger. More...hurt. Hurt again. So much hurt, everywhere, everyone, hurt.

You did this. I did this. Me.

She noticed she was shaking and took a long drag of her cigarette to at least keep her hands steady.

"Why... why did I have to hear it from... him?"

Quieter still. Him. Danya. King of the island at least in his own head.

King Douchebag.

King Asshole.

King Motherfucker.

And I lied to her and HE told her the truth. He's more honest than I am. Beyond horrible. Me, beyond horrible. God...fucking...dammit.

She shook her head, mainly to reassure herself. Of what? Who knew. No one knew, least of all her. She found herself speaking, somehow, her voice shaking like her hands still were and her words coming from somewhere she didn't know.

"I wanted a night. One night. One more night of peace, one more night to pretend that we're not here, one more night where you wouldn't hate me and where the rest of our fucking school wouldn't be afraid of me and where I could pretend that everything was okay. And...and I knew you'd find out, and I knew I should tell you, but I didn't want you to leave, and I...I don't know."

Her excuses sounded weaker and weaker as they were spoken.

"I don't know. I'm an idiot. I know I'm an idiot. I...I'd seen a body, and then he...Steve came out of nowhere, and I was so afraid he was going to hurt us, so I...attacked first. I didn't mean...I didn't want...I'm not playing."

Keep lying, honeybee. You've always been good at it.

Not even the energy to yell at herself remained.

"I just want to keep everyone alive. You... both of you. Maddy, and Alex, and Jay and Dutchy and Isabel and anyone else you guys want to keep safe. We're all supposed to die here, but...I'll protect everyone for as long as I can. I'm not that strong, but I can try, and I will never, ever let anything bad to happen to you."

Her voice got stronger as her words became honest.

"If you want to leave now, I'll understand. Lies of omission are still lies, so I lied to you. I...that was stupid. I shouldn't have done that. If you leave, I...I'm glad I got to see you, at least. Glad I got to...spend one night with you."

Something like a blush. Really? Now? Oh, I'm sure Kyle is loving this.

"But I don't want to let you go, because if I hear your name on the announcements, I...won't be able to deal with it. I need to be there to make sure you're safe. I don't want to...end up alone."

Selfishness all over.

"So...please stay. I promise, it's all the truth from here on in."

Don't make promises you can't keep.

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:
[+] spoiler
[V4] ESCAPED:

[V4] DECEASED: