Romans 1:18

Slam
Mr. Danya
Slam
Mr. Danya

June 30th, 2017, 10:54 pm #1

Nicholas Jackson did one final check of the literature piled neatly on the table. There was no reason to though: Barbara always took care of these things so well, and that’s one of things he was grateful for. She was just as organised as he wasn’t.

He smiled down at her, their height difference always being a point of comment, even after seventeen years. At first, they’d been teased a bit over it, of course by good friends whom they loved and trusted, but eventually it had turned into a practiced riff when strangers pointed it out for one reason or another, always ending in how it’d balanced out with regards to their kids. It was a shame they'd decided not to join them today, but they could worry about that later.

It was busy in the park, no surprise given the cool weather and typical Saturday rush, and naturally that was for the best. More people to hear the good word of the Lord. Given the circumstances, they desperately needed to.

Nicholas gave his wife a firm nod, and then he began.

“Friends, I hope I find you well on a beautiful day such as this, thanks to the Lord almighty! We are truly blessed to be able to enjoy a time like this!”

A few heads turned, but none of them lasted long. Nothing unusual.

“However, I know your hearts are heavy with the recent events! Evil has crept amongst us, and stolen our children! We may blame this on our fellow man, but the truth, my friends, is that this is the work of Satan himself!”

“Satan has stolen our children from us, and they will be cast into the fiery pits of hell!”

At this point the heads were starting to turn for real, just as intended. The disdainful expressions starting to appear were irrelevant: no-one liked hearing what they had to hear, after all.

“And why has our Lord and saviour let this happen? Because these children were sinners, and their families were sinners! My friends, there are too many sinners amongst us!”

Barbara began weaving amongst the crowd, holding out pamphlets to hands that pushed them back in disgust. A small number were grabbed, but the people who did so were only morbidly curious about the literature, which showed the blazing inferno in all its misery.

“Those children stolen from us, the children who still live, they were, and are, fornicators and sinners! Children who’ve never seen the inside of a church, who’ve never read a bible! These children who fornicated with each other with no remorse or shame, who fornicated with members of the same sex! What’s happened to them is clearly a sign from the Lord, and a warning of what waits for the rest of us!”

A few cell phones were in sight now, calls being made and a small number taking videos. The crowd wasn’t large, but the disgust was eminent. It continued not to phase Nicholas though, just as The Holy Son had been met with distain, he too had to perservere and get his message trough for the goodness of everyone’s souls.

“The children of Cochise were punished for their wicked ways, just as the Lord sent the floods to drown all the sinners! This was not the work of Muslims or the Government, but an act of divine retribution! The Lord is angry, and we must change our lives and seek His forgiveness!”

As he kept preaching the good word, the figures before him shifted in transition, some arriving and some leaving, but it wasn’t long before a pair in familiar uniforms appeared.

The law of man was here to stop him again.

“Mr. Jackson, we’ve been over this before.” Said Office Paige, a man he'd become quite acquainted with over the past few months. He turned to his wife, who was engaged in conversation with Officer Bates.

“And as I always say to you, I’m trying to save these people’s souls. What’s wrong with that?”

“What’s wrong with that,” the officer emphasised quite pronouncedly, “is that you’re causing a disturbance, and this is not a subject you can be preaching about.”

Officer Paige was normally a good man, or at least Nicholas thought so. He was misguided, yes, but Nicholas knew he meant well, and also knew he was a regular at church. However, the sheer impatience coming from the policeman was palpable.

“I have freedom of speech, Officer. I know my duty to lead these people in these troubling times, and tell them how we can prevent something so horrible from happening again.”

The crowd that had gathered were continuing to stare daggers his way, but it was at that point someone amidst them took action, throwing a water bottle at his head. It sailed past, but the message was clear.

Officer Paige looked back, trying to pinpoint the thrower, but his heart wasn’t in it. “There, you see? You’re going to get yourself hurt preaching about this out here, now I am ordering you to stop.”

An order? Hah.

“Officer, I am more than familiar with how people may reject my words, but you cannot deny the importance of spreading them. The fact that our children continue to die in incidents like these, is it not like the Lord taking the Egyptians' first born sons? Do you want more children to die because people are unhappy with what they hear?”

Someone from the same crowd shouted a profanity at him, which was met with inaction from Officer Paige. Several people announced their agreement with the stranger who cussed him out. Nicholas couldn’t help but notice the hypocrisy.

“Nicholas, I’m telling you this for your own good. Either pack up and go home, or I’m going to arrest you both for causing a public disturbance. You keep preaching about this topic specifically, and you’re going to push the wrong buttons. I’m ending this before someone gets hurt.”

He stared into the Officer’s eyes, a challenge to a game of chicken. Though his work wasn’t done, it wouldn’t be his first time facing such slanderous charges. Legal trouble wasn’t easy for his family or career to endure, even if what was truly important still needed to be done.

He looked into the scornful crowd, seeing how they felt written across their face. He looked to his wife, who was looking back to him with her own share of nerves.

His work wasn’t done, but this wasn’t the way forward.

It was an unfortunate mood, as him and Barbara gathered up his pamphlets and their folding table. Not because of the people leering at him from behind, or the watch of the police to make sure they really were leaving. It was unfortunate, because he felt sorry for everyone who he couldn’t save.

It was unfortunate, as he left the park literature in hand, that his kids were mingling with sinners who put their own souls at risk. It was unfortunate that his constitutional rights were ignored, as he just tried to spread his faith to the people who needed it most.

Hallelujah for the internet.