Retrograde

June 7th, 2014, 2:52 am #1

(Rosemary Michaels continued from Hortensius.)

Rosemary realized that she wasn't going in the direction Timothy had gone a while ago. Unlike when she had left Meera, however, she had not stopped. She was much faster now, without the shotgun weighing her steps.

Alas, she had to stop eventually.

The town reeked of decay. She could smell the bodies that wafted from doorways or buildings as she fell to the ground. Lighted by the morning sun, she vomited. Then she laid beside her duffle, face down on the ground. If anyone saw her from a distance, they would think she was among the dead. But her back moved up and down, her breath wheezed out against the dirty ground. She was still alive.

After a while of this, Rosemary let herself sit up, then taking a couple of more minutes to keep the world from spinning. Sprinting while your sick was just asking for trouble. She turned to the vomit a few feet away, eyeing it with distaste. Her medicine had been in there. She took two more aspirin, swallowing them down with some water. Her own water now. She had left Timothy's back at the school.

She looked at the streets, realizing where she was.

Instead of falling back down, Rosemary stood, dragging her duffle along the ground with her. She felt too tired to carrying it, until she came to the store she was looking for.

The days had not been kind to Becca Everett and Joey Caputo. She had to dry heave at the sight of maggots crawling in their exposed wounds and stumped necks, at the putrid stench of it all. She wanted to burn it down. Burn down the store, the town, the entire island could fucking burn for all she cared in that moment. But, she had another reason.

"I'm sorry... that I couldn't find another way, Joey." she got out. That was it. There was nothing left to say. She pulled her duffle along the street, until she reached a shop front that was didn't smell as much, and went into the alley at the side, where there was shade. She slumped against the wall, letting her body slide down. She felt her little knife in her pocket, and held her bag close, before letting herself fall into an exhausted sleep until night time.
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A
V6 Pregame: 1-2
Image Song: TV on the Radio- Wolf Like Me

Frederick "Rick" Brea- N/A
Image Song: SOHN- Artifice

Version 5
(G006) Rosemary Michaels- Butterfly Knife: "H-h-heh..."- DECEASED
V5 Game:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-6 (Return)-9-10-11-12-FINAL

Rattlesnake
Winner

June 7th, 2014, 9:54 pm #2

((Katarina Konipaski continued from Vertigo))

The dying rays of the sun cast long shadows over the buildings and the streets of the forsaken town.

Katarina shivered a bit, looked around, tensed a muscle in her jaw. The island that had shrunk so much in the morning's announcements seemed almost endless in its barren desolation. She blinked and held it for a few seconds. Her eyes were painful and dry, and closing them was so soothing, if only for a moment. She hadn't found much to drink since her bag had been taken. Some puddles, a dripping gutter, but nothing clean or substantial. And it was pretty difficult to sleep when you had nothing but your fingernails against fifty murderers living where twenty had room.

The overpass hung like a sleeping leviathan in the distance. She thought of herself, balancing on the rail with the ground three dozen feet below as if she were a child again, waving her arms about as she tried out a curb for a balance beam. It was mad. Pure madness. Her very life, the most valuable thing she could ever possess, a stumble away from oblivion. But maybe, she thought, you had to be a little mad sometimes to get by. Her mind shrunk from the thought, but she put herself back on it. Face it like she'd faced the razor-edge of death because you had to feel what there was to lose to know what you had to gain.

She shivered again. Padded softly amongst the alleyways on her toes. The very last of her old supplies, the bandages that still criss-crossed up her boots in that childish, girly little decoration, ground away beneath her toes so better to commit murder with victims still unaware.

Another slit of darkness gaped to her side. She checked it without even thinking. A shape, irregular, heaped - or huddled? Her chest seemed to still of its own accord as she stepped into the concrete cranny. The shape resolved itself. Rosemary Whatsherface in the flesh. A sudden lightness washed over her, heart absolutely singing. She walked down the alleyway, oblivious to Rosemary's response. Let her flinch or back away or even beckon if she liked, it wouldn't change a thing. There was something there she couldn't let escape. Salvation from the creeping malaise. She didn't know quite why it was that way, but the part of her that was most certain knew it. Maybe it was just the thought of rest. A face she could still see laughing even as she held a knife out while Katarina brandished her scythe.

She closed until she was a couple feet away. An honest-to-goodness grin formed on her face.

"Sup?" she said, and let herself slide down the wall until she was huddled next to Rosemary.

"Don't got any water, do you?" she added after letting her greeting hang for just a second.
[+] spoiler
G065 KK Konipaski - "I killed a girl today. I think. And I didn't make a lot of friends with it. You don't bleed that much and walk away, I know that."
Skidded to a halt in the Central Park with the Basket-Hilted Rapier, Swordbreaker, Butterfly Knife, Stinger.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

B060 Matthew Young - "What brings you to the beach on this crappy day?"
Taking a sand nap in the Eastern Inlet with the iPod from Heck
1 2 3 4

G075 Tessa Blackridge - "Oh. ...I left quite a mess, didn't I?"
Staring down the cold hand of Death in the Bike Trails with the Pepper Spray
1 2
[+] spoiler
B055 Nick Reid - "Put that thing down, and neither of us have to die."
Troubled no more in the Mountains with the Molotov (x1), Estoc, Jutte

G090 Kari Nichols - "please..."
Sleeping forever in the Logging Road with the Nothing

B088 Cody Jenkins - "They won't come, you know."
Decomposing in the Northern Cliffs with the Middle Finger (x1)
NO. THERE IS NO MORE TIME, EVEN FOR CAKE. FOR YOU, THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE.

June 7th, 2014, 11:01 pm #3

Rosemary looked at the uninvited guest with awe. At first, she thought she was still dreaming, Was this really Katarina Konipaski, the five time killer, the first person she had seen when she first woke up on the island, or was she just a simple hallucination?

But then she smelled the blood and grime on her body, and her body warmth as she huddled next to her in the crooked alley. She had heard hallucinations felt real, but Kat felt too real for even that.

And god, even in the dying light, she looked like shit. Even worse than Travis' injuries and twice- bludgeoned head. They were all worse for wear by this point, but all of these seemed recent. She also had no bag, no supplies, and no weapons to speak of.

"...Hello." Rosemary replied with a sigh. She was too tired to scream or hit or tell Kat to get away from her anymore. "Yeah... here."

She got the water bottle from her pack, handing it to the other girl. Payback for getting some from Timothy.

"Where's Steve?" she said aloud the first thing that had popped into head, despite its absurdity.
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

Rattlesnake
Winner

June 7th, 2014, 11:35 pm #4

Rosemary didn't run away or scream, which was nice. Or stab her, which was even better. And to top it off, she even had water. Was there a church on the island? And did they take offers for new saints?

She took the bottle, felt the glorious heft of life-giving water in her hands. The air was still in the alleyway, free of the restless drafts that plagued the coastal scenery. It wasn't warm, but sitting there together, it felt just a little cozy.

Rosemary was talking, but Katarina had business to attend to before she responded. The water flowed smooth over the shredded skin of her lips, down her barren throat. It was stagnant water, lukewarm, carrying the taste of plastic on it. It was the best water she'd had in her life.

When she was finished gulping she pulled the bottle from her lips and let out a breath that was half satisfied sigh, half gasp for air. "Wh-" she started, looking over at Rosemary, and then caught herself. Leaning on her scythe, joking and laughing and carrying on like the girl who just wanted to go to Disneyland with her friends. She hoped Rosemary wouldn't see her grinning like an idiot, but then considered that it probably didn't matter if she did. "Ah, Steve. —Sorry, by the way," she said, swirling the remaining inch or so of water around the bottle.

"He left to pursue his options a couple days ago. Bit of a swinger, I guess." a quick glance for recognition of the pun. "But yeah, I thought I was pretty well set with my little prize. Guess I wasn't."

The last sentence came with a deal more edge than she expected. Her face flushed and her mind bubbled.

"You still got that knife?" she threw in, forestalling the obvious question. "Offer's still open, by the way. Don't feel like cashing in right now, though."

She leaned back against the wall and sighed again.
[+] spoiler
G065 KK Konipaski - "I killed a girl today. I think. And I didn't make a lot of friends with it. You don't bleed that much and walk away, I know that."
Skidded to a halt in the Central Park with the Basket-Hilted Rapier, Swordbreaker, Butterfly Knife, Stinger.

1 2 3 4

1 2
[+] spoiler

NO. THERE IS NO MORE TIME, EVEN FOR CAKE. FOR YOU, THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE.

June 8th, 2014, 1:24 am #5

"It's... okay." Rosemary answered, though he voice gave the distinct hoarseness of a sore throat. She hoped there was another bottle in the duffle.

She couldn't help the quirk up on her lips. She had truly gone insane, but it looks like she would have company.

"Yeah... never fired the weapon I got from Best Kill, did whack Travis Webster with it though. That felt good, but he got in anyway." Rosemary answered with her own weapon woes. "And yup- still have that little knife."

She didn't want to bring it out at the moment. Despite the warmth she felt coming from Kat, bringing a weapon in there would just bring tension. "You've got another proposition for me? Guess... I'll listen to it later."

This all felt a bit surreal. She was alone, with Kat. The same as it was on day one, only the two of them had completely changed. She wondered if someone, some author she never read or heard of, could describe this sense of bewilderment and peace. Everything in the town was still, save for her and Kat.

Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

Rattlesnake
Winner

June 8th, 2014, 4:36 am #6

Another little glance over. Rosemary didn't brandish the knife, and if she patted the pocket where it resided, then Katarina looked for it too late.

"Alright," she said, "But if I doze off, don't shank me while I'm asleep. Deal?"

It felt so good to sit there and talk to someone, talk to them like a person and have them talk back to her like she was a person. Not a cat and a mouse or a dog or whatever you wanted to break it down into. To hug her knees and guard each other just a little from the cool of the oncoming night. Is that what she should have done from the beginning? Find allies, people she could talk to, forge alliances in the crucible of fear that would keep their temper when tested by the murder that warped everything else? Was that how everyone else lived their last days? They found happiness, and it was all the sweeter for the bitterness around them. Her own fantasy, the vision she chased of a warm shower, a soft bed with a fluffy comforter, decent food, her cat dozing at her side as she worked along on her Pokemon file. It just seemed...

She'd done a lot of things wrong on the island. Her nose was a throbbing reminder of that. She looked over at Rosemary again. The girl with a knife in her pocket, spare clothes and food to eat. Katarina tried to sniff back the tears oozing their way out around her eyes, down her nostrils. She coughed and gritted her teeth as pain lanced through her face. It wasn't an option any more. Maybe, if she'd been honest with herself, it never was. A vice of regret wrung her heart dry, but maybe that just proved she was still there underneath it all. The decision was made.

"Sorry," she said shortly, placing a hand to her throat. Her collar was still there, rimmed with grime and blood. The real cage that kept them all there. She'd ridden the edge of freedom, balanced a misstep from death, but there was no fevered fantasy that made it any looser.

"I got..." but the gory details seemed so out of place now. Impulsively, decisively, she slid her hands down her shins and loosened her boots, slid them slowly off and let them fall in a heap on the ground. She couldn't run now. Not far or long, at least. But it wouldn't be worse than missing her bag. One day, she could pull through. Two, it would hurt. But probably. Three? Not likely. But she tried not to think about that. She could curl her toes freely now. Feel cool air swirling up around her ankles.

"I'm staying put for a while. If you don't mind," she said, and there were still tears in her throat. Darkness was falling ever faster. Just for one night she wanted to feel safe, or find the capacity not to worry too much over it. And two, and three, and years and decades of night, but she liked to keep things realistic.

"God, I want to go home," she said.
[+] spoiler

1 2 3 4

1 2
[+] spoiler

June 8th, 2014, 5:29 am #7

Rosemary was at a loss of how to respond to Kat, at her relaxing, and her breakdown. It was hard to believe that she was a killer. But then again, if Kat had not killed, would she still even be here?

If Rosemary hadn't let friend after friend die, would she be here either?

No matter what choices we make here, they will always be the wrong ones. she thought, stopping herself from repeating the mantra out loud. It was true, but not right now. Not when there was a murderer who was also a crying girl that wanted to go home beside her to hear it. Philosophy was worth nothing to those in despair.

So she did what she could never do in the life she had before the island. She reached out.

Rosemary's arm quietly snuck around Kat's shoulders, pulling her into a half-embrace, and held it for a few moments, before drawing back. Enough for Katarina to know that, yes, Rosemary understood that she wanted to go home.

And though she would deny it, she wanted that too, now. She didn't want to be like her brother. Ripped from the world by a freak accident before he even had the chance to live. She didn't want to be cold and starving and alone for the rest of her now shortened lifespan. It was the same feeling she had when she tried to reach out to Joachim.

Rosemary wanted to live, really, really live. But so did everyone else. And that's what made everything on the island hurt more.

"I promise not to shank you while you sleep." she said after the moment had passed.
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

Rattlesnake
Winner

June 8th, 2014, 10:43 pm #8

For a fraction of an instant Katarina felt recoiling terror at Rosemary's touch, but the hand sliding across her shoulders wasn't Bella's. wasn't Ami's or Hansel's. It didn't seek to deprive her life or food or weapons or dignity. Rosemary squeezed a little, pulled her into a half-hug that was pure bliss. That someone could find value in her enough to give their little form of comfort...

She smiled as Rosemary answered her half-joking concern with her own half-joking assurance. Smiled, but didn't respond. The silence wasn't sacred or unbreakable in itself. There was just nothing left to say. She looked over one more time at the girl huddled just inches away. Screw it, she thought, and leaned right against her.

Was her family watching this? Surely it would be on record. One girl with a plan and no supplies, another one with supplies and no plan. History between them. Jokes, laughs, threats. They'd follow that for sure. But would they watch them as they sat and chatted and watched night fall over them? Maybe they thought that was interesting or cute or heartwarming, something they could squeeze for extra drama. And as much as she wanted to, Katarina couldn't find it in herself to damn them for it.

So please be watching this, she thought desperately, and squeezed a pair of tears through her eyelids. No, please don't was the frantic reply. Because she was decided on her course now, and she had no illusions about it. She knew what the end result of the pursuit of comfort, pleasure, fleeting security was. What selfishness' reward was. She'd seen that firsthand. Doled it out in a flurry of smoke and screams and the smell of sulfur. She was setting them up for a fall, just like Rosemary. Just like herself. She crossed her arms over her chest, squeezed herself against the cold, leaned into Rosemary and felt her lean back against her. The soft warmth of her body, the slow, rhythmic pulse of her breathing. She was so tired. Back at home, she'd be asleep in seconds. But the dagger kept twisting itself. The future. Her family. Her brothers, learning secondhand how the sister they loved and admired and looked up to was a cold-blooded monster.

But screw the world. She was tasting everything she'd denied herself. Danger, comfort, human kindness. She needed to experience it all, as purely and earnestly as she could. Remember who she was doing it all for. She gave a little shrug, settled in. A vulnerability to blatant it felt downright secure. That was the ticket. Her breathing slowed and she let herself fall backwards into her dreams.
[+] spoiler

1 2 3 4

1 2
[+] spoiler

June 8th, 2014, 11:22 pm #9

Rosemary sighed. The warmth of another human was almost overpowering, but it would be good when night set in. She still felt weak, even after sleeping all day...

As Kat fell asleep, Rosemary felt herself slowly drifting off as well. The more practical side of her was screaming how bad an idea this was, but that voice was growing fainter and fainter.

"Kat...?" she whispered, not knowing why she called out. But the girl didn't respond.

Despite that danger, the threat of letting her guard down, Rosemary succumbed to sleep, her head leaning against Kat's as her eyes fluttered close.
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A

Version 5
V5 Game:

Rattlesnake
Winner

June 9th, 2014, 1:06 am #10

Katarina woke so suddenly it felt as if she'd been literally catapulted from her slumber.

She looked around. The sky seemed to be lightening, or maybe that was just her acclamation to the dark. Either way, Rosemary was fast asleep against her shoulder. Pure and innocent and kind and everything the island wasn't. A light sweat ran up Katarina's side, a touch of moisture where Rosemary's body pressed gently against hers. She took a calming breath. Molten lead filled her chest, her pulse beating in her temples. Anticipation and fear and the clenching terror of beating the alarm clock, wondering any second if it might go off. Please, just for a minute, she pleaded, and felt nearly sick from adrenaline.

Slowly, carefully, she pushed Rosemary upright and slid soundlessly away. The sleeping girl's arm drooped off the lap onto the ground between them. Barely an inch separated them, but an inch was all she needed.

One more check against wakefulness. A moment's pause to make sure the light stirring didn't progress any further. Another moment to make double-sure. A third out of pure weakness.

Katarina pushed herself slowly up and bent into a kneel and then a crouch. Everywhere she'd shared Rosemary's warmth felt suddenly frigid in the cold air, and the chill of the ground soaked up quickly through her socks. Carefully she stepped over Rosemary's legs, turned, and straddled her sleeping form.

Almost but not quite they touched. Katarina could feel the draft of Rosemary's breath, see in the dim light the smoothness of her face. No concerns for her. No worries. No chronic mortal fear that wrinkled your brow so thoroughly that relaxing it brought the lightness of a post-workout rest. Katarina hovered over her, propped up on her knees and her toes, and she couldn't stop herself from brushing a wisp of hanging hair away from Rosemary's face.

Doing it would be impossible. But avoiding it would be even harder.

She reached down and unbuckled her belt, relaxing suddenly the iron grip around her hips as she knelt with legs splayed. It slithered out through her beltloops like a poisonous snake until she held it wrapped in one hand. She bent forward, her chest pressing into Rosemary's so firmly she thought she could feel the girl's heartbeat.

Quickly now.

One wrist, and then the other. Lightness gave way to speed as she brought her hands, and Rosemary's, together. Either would do if she beat the sliding deadline that hummed and groaned and stirred. One wrap, check, wrap again and then again. Make sure it's tight. make sure it's secure. She was waking.

Katarina pushed the end of the belt through the coil, and then again the other way. Pulled it tight as she could. With her victim's wrists securely bound, she fastened her hands tightly around Rosemary's throat.
[+] spoiler

1 2 3 4

1 2
[+] spoiler