Pet Help

Cake
Contender
Cake
Contender

August 28th, 2015, 5:24 am #1

My family dog has been having seizures through out the day. This morning he had several, so he was brought to the vet, came home fine. Then I found him having seizures again several hours later this afternoon. I really don't know what to do. It's really distressing to see. I don't even know why he's having them now, when it's never happened before.

Does anyone know enough about animals/pets to help or give advice. I know vet ASAP is probably the best answer, but anything would be helpful.

BetaKnight
Winner

August 28th, 2015, 5:48 am #2

I had a Lab who went through a period where he randomly had seizures. Vet couldn't tell us why so we just waited it out. While it's pretty distressing for you to have to see, I always thought it must be pretty scary for him too. It seemed to help my boy if I sat next to him and just softly petted him while speaking in soothing tones. It didn't do anything to stop him seizing but it seemed to calm him down a little.

Good luck. I hope it all turns out okay.
[+] Spoiler

Rebecca Kiesling Girl 50 armed with One Package Sharpie Minis

Iselle Ovalle-Vandermeer Girl 10 armed with Five foot hickory walking stick

Cooper Komorowski Boy 63 armed with WASP knife

Genie Banneman - banned from Senior Trip

Cake
Contender
Cake
Contender

August 28th, 2015, 5:57 am #3

Thanks, Beta. No question it's scary for him too, probably a lot of anxiety from not being able to walk and continuously shaking, the worst part was when he kept thrashing his head against the fence from a sitting position. The best I tried to do, was comfort him like you mentioned, as I can't think of a single thing aside from that. Our dog is more of a rascally over-energetic type though, so even when healthy he's tough to calm down, and post-seizure he kept pacing around in a circle despite, probably nervous that it would happen again. That part at least I can do something about, but dang, I just want the seizures to stop. Is it still going to keep happening? Did it ever stop for your pet, eventually? :(

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

August 28th, 2015, 6:22 am #4

I'm really sorry to hear about this, Psych. I don't have any experience in the area, but I've had other pet health issues and know how stressful it can be. I'm thinking positive thoughts for you and your dog, and hoping he recovers quickly and fully.

KamiKaze
Winner

August 28th, 2015, 1:11 pm #5

Sadly, I don't know much about dogs and seizures from personal experience. ):

However, I did a quick Google-search, and I did find a bunch of sites that give advice on the topic. Here's one. and another, and one more, if you haven't found them personally.

I hope your dog feels better. Sick pets are never fun. D:
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."
[+] Spoiler
In Loving Memory Of Those Killed In The 2008 SOTF
Carol Burke- Female Student #015- A good friend.
Remy Kim- Male Student #080- Yet another victim of the system.
Aileen Borden- Female Student #022- It's going to be okay.

In Loving Memory Of Those Killed In The 2012 SOTF
Alexandria "Alex" Ripley- Female Student #002- Sometimes your life is meant to be a warning to others.
Lana Torres- Female Student #039- Technically, she died happy.
Miranda Millers- Female Student #019- Doomed by self-fulfilling prophecy.

In Loving Memory of Those Killed in the 2015 SOTF
Jennifer Wallace- Female Student #055- Good night, and good luck.
Junko Kurosawa- Female Student #041- Experienced a thrill to die for.
Emma Luz- Female Student #022- Sweet dreams.

....?
Anna Chase- Female Student #010- And then she lived happily ever after.
[+] Spoiler
For v6, I have come to a decision. To help lessen character pimping, I have vowed not to talk about my characters, any characters closely related to mine, or any threads I've been involved in, in any of the following places:

- Chat
- General Discussion thread
- TV Tropes
- Random Thoughts

I am not allowing myself to talk about anything relating to my characters or scenes I'm in unless they are brought up in conversation by another handler. I am not allowed to use my characters' names OOC or mention anything relating to that character until another handler mentions them. This is not currently in effect for pre-game; these self-imposed rules do not apply until v6 starts. However, they will be in effect the second v6 is announced. When one of my characters die, escape, or are otherwise removed from the game, these rules are lifted for that character, and I am free to talk about that character as much as I want. However, the others will have to wait until they too are out of the game.

This is a personal promise I'm keeping to myself for v6. If I break it, please feel free to bitch me out.

-KamiKaze

Addendum as of v6: I may ask for critiques while a character's arc is ongoing, as long as someone has offered to do so.
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

BetaKnight
Winner

August 28th, 2015, 11:26 pm #6

My Lab's seizures did stop. His seizures were fairly frequent for about 2 weeks, then went away as suddenly as they came on. He seemed fine afterwards, living a normal life for many years after. Our vet never did come up with any explanation at to why they started or stopped. We were lucky that way. Hope things are better today for you, Psych.
[+] Spoiler

Rebecca Kiesling Girl 50 armed with One Package Sharpie Minis

Iselle Ovalle-Vandermeer Girl 10 armed with Five foot hickory walking stick

Cooper Komorowski Boy 63 armed with WASP knife

Genie Banneman - banned from Senior Trip

Cake
Contender
Cake
Contender

August 30th, 2015, 9:04 am #7

Thanks guys I really appreciate the advice/experience knowledge/reassuring words

The seizures kept getting worse and more numerous every night, it was getting tough to sleep, worrying. My family planned to take our dog to the vet again, for some testing, even though the price was steep, I didn't want to him continuously suffer. While at work/classes, My cousin and mother took our dog a bath, but somehow managed to escape. So now he's missing, and hasn't come back home, even with our family's efforts to locate him. I don't know, in a way, as least he' somewhere reasonably safe rather than dying on the streets, since I'm pretty sure someone in the neighborhood called the humane society, since my bro overheard someone in his store mention finding a dog in her backyard, as a reason she was buying dog food, and planned to call the humane society. Why he didn't have the common sense to ask, I don't know. At the same time, it's almost a relief of stress, that it's mostly out of my hands now, though I do miss seeing our dog, around too.

Just wanted to let out my thoughts.