Order Of The Stick Mafia Fallout Thread

Emprexx Plush
Mr. Danya

January 28th, 2015, 4:24 pm #1

I'm going to go ahead and open up the Fallout Thread to discussion while I gather my notes. There will be an update post once they're added here in the OP. Thanks for playing, folks!

PART 1: ROLES

The Town:
[+] Spoiler
Focus has never really been your thing. There's just too much to do, see, and experience to nail yourself down too much. That's why you are ELAN: JACK OF ALL TRADES. What you lack in quality, you make up for in quantity. You have access to four abilities that you can use ONCE PER GAME EACH. You can TRACK a target to see who they visit, WATCH a target to see who visits them, BLOCK a target to stop them from using their night action, or REDIRECT that night action at any target you wish. Use them wisely.

You win when the forces of evil have been repelled and Soon Kim's Gate within Azure City has been safely secured for the TOWN once more. Stay strong.
[+] Spoiler
As a practitioner of the mystical arts, you wield untapped destructive magical power at your fingertips. Constantly untapped, in fact, because of silly little worries from your fellows like "property damage" and "civilian casualties." For this campaign, you've been mostly relegated to countering enemy spellcasters and keeping the battlefield locked down. That's why you are VARSUVIUS: TOWN ROLEBLOCKER. Once per night, you may target another player and BLOCK their action, preventing it from coming into play that night.

You win when the forces of evil have been repelled and Soon Kim's Gate within Azure City has been safely secured for the TOWN once more. Stay strong.
[+] Spoiler
People need looking after, and you're just the dwarf to do it. A sense of justice and the might of Thor make you DURKON: TOWN DOCTOR. Once per night, you can target another player and make them NIGHT KILL IMMUNE for the evening. As a selfless cleric, you cannot target yourself.

[+] Spoiler
As the leader of the Sapphire Guard, you would do anything within your considerable power to keep this city safe. You are O-CHUL: TOWN ELITE BODYGUARD. Once per night, you may choose a target to make NIGHT KILL IMMUNE. You will kill the first person to attack that target, and protect them from all subsequent attacks for the phase. At the end of the phase, you will die in their place.

[+] Spoiler
Every great city needs a great leader. An uncorruptible pillar of goodwill, strength, and honor to hold it up through any tragedy or trial. You are that leader. You are MR. SCRUFFLY: BELOVED LEADER, and you wield considerable power. However, you are only a cat, and thus incapable of using any of it. Mostly, you're just trying to use your vote and your voice wisely while you try to SURVIVE, because if you ever die, the town will lose ONE DAY PHASE.

[+] Spoiler
Paladin of Azure City, you are a force to be reckoned with. In an invasion this large, however, you are just LIEN: TOWNIE. You have no special powers of abilities outside of your vote.

[+] Spoiler
Evenness. Honesty. Stability. These are the values you hold dear as a paladin of the Sapphire Guard, heir to Lord Shojo, and as HINJO: TOWN COP. You are dedicated to rooting out the threats to this city, inside and out, and will not rest until everyone who would tear your world apart is found and brought to justice. Each night, you may check the ALIGNMENT of one player, which will be brought back to you either INNOCENT or SUSPICIOUS. Do what you will with the information.

[+] Spoiler
If people don't want to put in the effort to keep you from stealing their things, then do they really need them? That's the question you have to ask yourself as HAYLEY: TOWN THIEF. Once per night phase, you may STEAL the night action of one other player, blocking them for the night and allowing you to USE their action the next night. However, you have to choose between STEALING a new power or USING the one you've acquired each night. You can only use each power once, and you can only target each player once. You will not be informed of the alignment of the player you have stolen from.

[+] Spoiler
Appearances can be deceiving. While you may appear to be a feeble-minded old man consulting his cat for advice in a crumbling city, in reality you are LORD SHOJO: TOWN NEIGHBORIZER, the lynch-pin holding the city together, whether it likes it or not. For the safety of your city, you may recruit any player during the night and make them your NEIGHBOR, allowing you and other neighbors to speak during the NIGHT PHASE. You will not know their alignment, or their role, before or after recruiting them. You must trust your instincts, and assemble only those that you believe can aid you in this troubling time. Know that your identity will be revealed to any neighbor you recruit, however, and there are dark forces lurking in Azure City. An unfortunate choice may lead to a dagger in your back.

[+] Spoiler
A strong moral compass and a life-time of herding a group that ranges from insane to incompetent has made you accustomed to laying your life on the line. That's what makes you ROY: TOWN BODYGUARD. Every night, you can select one player to protect, making them ONE-SHOT NIGHTKILL IMMUNE for the night. If they are attacked, you will die in their place, and you can't protect them from multiple attacks.

[+] Spoiler
Okay. Okay. You can do this. So you aren't allowed to kill anybody. That's cool. You'll show them that you are BELKAR: TOWN TRACKER. Each night, you may follow one person and TRACK their night actions, viewing anyone they visit that night. You're a little rusty, but you figure you can root out where Xykon and Co. are hiding and get this curse removed in no time flat.

The Scum:
[+] Spoiler
Chaos. Anarchy. Scarcity. The common people may fear these concepts, but for you, they are an ally. For you, they are a means to expand your considerable power, and finally put that old fool in his place. You are DAIYMO KABUTO: LYNCHER, and you will see LORD SHOJO(RemoteControl) hang. You have no special powers other than your gift of persuasion and your cunning mind. You must turn Azure City against its leader, and claim his place for yourself.

You win when Lord Shojo is successfully lynched during any day phase while you are alive. Go forth, and take what is rightfully yours.
[+] Spoiler
Well, well, well. If it isn't the big man himself. Everyone knows who you are. You're XYKON: MAFIA GODFATHER. Parties throughout the land fear you for your unbound magical might, sadistic whims, and fiercely loyal army. It's the last one that's really paying you dividends right now. Sure, you could go in and smash up the Azure City yourself, but paladins and liches don't really mix. You're going to stay out of the action as long as you can and let your second in command, Redcloak, take care of business. As long as he's alive, you're NIGHT KILL IMMUNE. If you decide to get your hands dirty, you can go ahead and carry out the night kill for your faction.

You win when only your Mafia survives to control Soon Kim's gate. To assist you in that endeavor, you can communicate here during the night phase, and only the NIGHT PHASE. Get cracking.
[+] Spoiler
It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it. You are REDCLOAK: MAFIA CONSIGLIERE. Being Xykon's second in command keeps you pretty busy. Between managing your elemental minions, leading your hobgoblin army, and making sure Xykon stays out of trouble, you don't have much chance to get out in the field, making you INVESTIGATION IMMUNE. Nobody expects some lowly goblin in a pretty cape to be the man behind the curtain, and as long as you're alive Xykon can keep drawing all the attention as the NIGHT KILL IMMUNE heavy. He'd be in a real tough spot if you died, though, and if he died...well, you'd have to step up to the plate as the GODFATHER. There goes your INVESTIGATION IMMUNITY, but at least you pick up his NIGHT KILL IMMUNITY.

You win when only your Mafia survives to control Soon Kim's gate. To assist you in that endeavor, you can communicate here. during the night phase, and only the NIGHT PHASE. Get cracking.
[+] Spoiler
You're big. You're powerful. You're intimidating. You might be the most powerful thing this world has ever seen. You don't really care about that, though. Really, you just want some friends. That's why you're happy to be THE MONSTER IN THE DARKNESS: MAFIA GOON, always taking orders from Redcloak and Xykon and never really stepping out much. You have loads of special powers, but they never let you use them, so for now all you can do is wait for them to ask you to kill someone.

You win when only your Mafia survives to control Soon Kim's gate. To assist you in that endeavor, you can communicate here. during the night phase, and only the NIGHT PHASE. Get cracking.
PART 2: GAME DESIGN

The Azure City Arc is a siege. I wanted to convey that clearly from the start with the array of power roles available to both Town and Mafia. The Town has no innate killing potential outside of its lynch. The Mafia has no innate ability to negate the Town's defenses. It's a stand off where the key play was going to be who could outmaneuver who and get their assets in the right place to strike at any given time.

A lot of the power roles were firmly on the Townside, which was problematic from a design standpoint at first. My balancing factor for this was to create a lot of roles that could help and hinder the town in pretty much equal measure, as well as one or two that were pure hindrances while being town aligned.

In the former category, we have The Roleblocker, the Thief, and The Neighborizer. While the Roleblocker and the Thief did little to hinder the town overall other than drawing some spurious conclusions and functionally negating each other during the endgame, it was the Neighborizer that really allowed the Mafia to shine in this game. The choice to recruit VysePresident on Night 2, giving the Mafia access to the Neighborhood Town Block, was exactly the sort of worst case scenario when I created the role.

In the latter category, we have the Beloved Leader and the (Secretly Insane) Tracker. Surprisingly, the Beloved Leader's handicap never came into play, other than potentially shaping NotAFlyingToy's play style. The Tracker ended up hindering the town in the least expected way possible. There was no better way for the town to realize Belkar was Insane than for Goose to steal Decoy's TRACK action, and then immediately steal Seth's "...track?" action afterwards. The only person who openly noted that the latter action was likely useless, however, was Vyse.

The "...track?" action is something that I find particularly amusing. I admit that it is an entirely bastard role, placed to sow misinformation. Each night it was used, the tracker would receive information that the target "visited" a randomly selected player. The misinformation from this play only really came into affect in the last two days with General Goose, so it ended up impacting the game less than I expected.

One thing I believe I would remove editing the build in hindsight would be the Cop. It was functionally removed already, and the game ran smoothly without it. A cop might have unfairly balanced things towards the Town and over-ridden my desire for results dictated by player input and maneuvering, not role dominance.

All in all, the game played out about like I hoped it would. The outcome was weighed mostly on player success and error, with VysePresident and DMBoogie strategically targeting town members and pushing lynches that were just plausible enough to keep them afloat, while playing on past experience to spread misinformation and distrust through the town. I'm pleased with the result, and I will never, ever trust Vyse again.

Mafia Chat

Neighborhood Chat

Death Chat
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
G056, Alda Abbate(Adopted)
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
[+] Spoiler
B062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
[+] Spoiler
B014, Joachim Lovelace(Adopted)
Your turn.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
Isaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars

NPCs:
Jacob Brooks: ... Character Theme: 1812 Overture-Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
[+] Spoiler
Blaise d'Aramitz: Blonde Hair, Black Lungs-Sorority Noise
Helena 'Hel" Fury: Okay, but riddle me this: where in the rulebook does it say it's not a series of automatic critical hits if I Flurry of Blows an ogre's nutsack like a speedbag? Bad Liar-Selena Gomez
Jeremiah Widdlestone: NOT--FOR--YOU 911/Mr. Lonely-Tyler The Creator
Damian Riccardo Maradona Reyes: I'll go all day, all week, all year if I gotta, big guy. Just try and stop me. Years Of War-Porter Robinson
Barbara "Babs" Mulaney: One. Deux. Tres. Vier. Fem. Yug. Haft. Aath. Dyev-yat. Dez. Might Tell You Tonight-Scissor Sisters
Zyzzx Rigs: Last of the first, folks. Light me up.You Know You Like It - DJ Snake ft.
AlunaGeorge
[+] Spoiler
Some Guy Probably: A thing he said? Character Theme: Flyers-Bradio
Alex Darby: Let's weigh what everyone brings to the table, and find a suitable compromise. It's in your best interest. Character theme: Devil's Gift-Shaman's Harvest
[+] Spoiler
Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!

General Goose
Winner

January 28th, 2015, 4:27 pm #2

Eh, twas worth a shot.
V7 peeps:
Nick Ogilvie
Ashlynn Martinek
Bill Winlock
Camille Bellegarde

V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd

Grim Wolf
Winner

January 28th, 2015, 5:43 pm #4

I was actually pretty confident in a boogie/Naft mafia, so well-done Vyse.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."
[+] Spoiler

G053 Karen Idel, DECEASED: Game over.

B040 Tyler Lucas, DECEASED: I had fun. You?

B046 Xavier Contel, DECEASED : "G-gotta...trust people, Arthur. G-g-gotta try. C-can't be afraid."
[+] Spoiler

B054 Raidon Naoko (DECEASED): "Dying like this isn't so bad..."

B072 Simon Grey (DECEASED): "I never was a hero, but, God help me, I tried."

B079 David Meramac (DECEASED): "Running towards nothing. Running from nothing."

G072 Mirabelle Nesa (DECEASED): "I'm a weak little girl who couldn't save anyone, even myself, but god damn it I beat you and god damn it you are going to remember that because I am Mirabelle Nesa and I am a hardened goddamn warrior and I am not going to fucking give up now!"

Emprexx Plush
Mr. Danya

January 28th, 2015, 6:06 pm #5

Role PMs have been added to the OP. Next up, game design.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
[+] Spoiler
B062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
[+] Spoiler
Your turn.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
Isaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars

NPCs:
[+] Spoiler
Helena 'Hel" Fury: Okay, but riddle me this: where in the rulebook does it say it's not a series of automatic critical hits if I Flurry of Blows an ogre's nutsack like a speedbag? Bad Liar-Selena Gomez
Damian Riccardo Maradona Reyes: I'll go all day, all week, all year if I gotta, big guy. Just try and stop me. Years Of War-Porter Robinson
Barbara "Babs" Mulaney: One. Deux. Tres. Vier. Fem. Yug. Haft. Aath. Dyev-yat. Dez. Might Tell You Tonight-Scissor Sisters
Zyzzx Rigs: Last of the first, folks. Light me up.You Know You Like It - DJ Snake ft.
AlunaGeorge
[+] Spoiler
Alex Darby: Let's weigh what everyone brings to the table, and find a suitable compromise. It's in your best interest. Character theme: Devil's Gift-Shaman's Harvest
[+] Spoiler
Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!

General Goose
Winner

January 28th, 2015, 6:17 pm #6

jfc wes could you at least check how to spell the names before sending out role PMs
V7 peeps:
Nick Ogilvie
Ashlynn Martinek
Bill Winlock
Camille Bellegarde

V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd

Un-Persona
Mr. Danya

January 28th, 2015, 6:19 pm #7

Not too shabby.
V7 relationship thread! Say hi to my kids!
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ & ❤ ❤
[+] Spoiler
V7 - ❤ ❤ ❤ - PV3 - {❤} ❤ ❤ - TV3 - ❤ ❤ - V8 - ❤ ❤ ❤
[+] Spoiler
21:33RattlesnakeIf you can't ninja roll the solution is to get naked until you can ninja roll

Justice for Natali - Today at 4:21 PM
Your adorable face will not save you from the long dick of the law

Gianni - Today at 8:05 PM
Sometimes the big tru tru different than the small tru tru

Emprexx Plush
Mr. Danya

January 28th, 2015, 6:27 pm #8

General Goose wrote:jfc wes could you at least check how to spell the names before sending out role PMs
But it gets you so salty, and this amuses me.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
B062, Garrett Wilde
[+] Spoiler
Your turn.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

NPCs:
[+] Spoiler
AlunaGeorge
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Emprexx Plush
Mr. Danya

January 28th, 2015, 7:12 pm #9

The OP has been updated with some game design notes and the Mafia, Neighborhood, and Death Chats.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
B062, Garrett Wilde
[+] Spoiler
Your turn.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

NPCs:
[+] Spoiler
AlunaGeorge
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

NotAFlyingToy
Winner

January 28th, 2015, 8:00 pm #10

WHAT.

WHAT.
A list of the dying, a list of the damned.
[+] Spoiler
We've yet to live and soon will fall.

B027: Oskar Pearce has his shields up -- Step back from it, Jane. (Adopted from SansaSaver!)
[+] Spoiler
We've fought and fought and lost it all.

G063: Natali Greer fell into sadness and couldn't get out -- Everything was going to be alright. (Adopted Posthumously from backslash!)
B067: Brandon Baxter died as he lived -- On his own terms.
B076: Hansel Williams wasn't wrong, in the end -- I wouldn't change anything. Not a goddamn thing.
[+] Spoiler
Here in the wings, we wait for the call.

Jaden Bertelli wants you to be better -- Work harder, no excuses.
Miley Sacramento isn't looking for the long-term -- Like, why are the democrats an elephant, anyway?
Robert Munnings hates your favourite teacher -- We hurt ourselves so that others can't.
Kelsey Hamilton is going to be the best in the world -- Out of my way, dead man.
Asher Glas really admires the way you carry yourself -- Oh, hey - let me get that for you.
"Skinny" Trevor Sharpe would sell the shirt off of your back -- Pick your poison.

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

January 28th, 2015, 8:33 pm #11

Well played, Vyse. For the record, I warned y'all neighbors! I warned you, bro!

EDIT: And well played by Boogie and Un too. I'm focusing on Vyse because he led us on really well; I had a pretty solid feeling that if there was a traitor neighbrside it was him, but got thrown hard by Goose's results.

NotAFlyingToy
Winner

January 28th, 2015, 8:37 pm #12

Vyse you magnificent son of a bitch. Well done.

And here I was feeling bad that Murder wasn't going to win it based on a technicality. I fucked up so much during this game, but I definitely wouldn't have seen a Vyse as scum flip coming a mile away. Really good show.

My goal was to hit scum and have them think twice about hitting me the last phase, trying for a false WIFOM type maneuver. I figured I could pull it off if I left boogie alone as the sole scum role, hoping on his general indecisiveness when it comes to Mafia to have JUST enough doubt so that he'd try for Vyse or Goose instead of me once Toben got hit.

Didn't really work out how I wanted, though. All in all, a very fun game - albeit plagued by inactivity, which is kind of the norm nowadays - and I wish I'd dedicated more time to it so that I could be properly flabbergasted when Vyse spanked me.
A list of the dying, a list of the damned.
[+] Spoiler
We've yet to live and soon will fall.

B027: Oskar Pearce has his shields up -- Step back from it, Jane. (Adopted from SansaSaver!)
[+] Spoiler
We've fought and fought and lost it all.

G063: Natali Greer fell into sadness and couldn't get out -- Everything was going to be alright. (Adopted Posthumously from backslash!)
B067: Brandon Baxter died as he lived -- On his own terms.
B076: Hansel Williams wasn't wrong, in the end -- I wouldn't change anything. Not a goddamn thing.
[+] Spoiler
Here in the wings, we wait for the call.

Jaden Bertelli wants you to be better -- Work harder, no excuses.
Miley Sacramento isn't looking for the long-term -- Like, why are the democrats an elephant, anyway?
Robert Munnings hates your favourite teacher -- We hurt ourselves so that others can't.
Kelsey Hamilton is going to be the best in the world -- Out of my way, dead man.
Asher Glas really admires the way you carry yourself -- Oh, hey - let me get that for you.
"Skinny" Trevor Sharpe would sell the shirt off of your back -- Pick your poison.

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

January 28th, 2015, 8:48 pm #13

In fact, to sum up my whole feelings on scum play this game:

VysePresident
Mr. Danya

January 28th, 2015, 9:45 pm #14

Heh, thanks guys.

I actually nearly claimed scum in the game thread, after the vote, but decided to play it safe. If nothing else, I wanted to save the spoilers for the Fallout thread and who knew, Goose might have had a Venge kill or something.

Apparently, that saved the game for us. Kinda freaked out about that, actually.
Constructive criticism is always welcome! Feel free to send me a PM if you have any pointers or feedback you'd like to share!
Character #1: Boy #37 Ian Williams - Now with 55% less self-insert.
Designated Weapon: Polaroid Instant Camera With Film (Enough for 8 photographs)

Past - | 1 | 2 | (Current thread - Birds of a Feather)
Pregame - None
Island - | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (Final Thread - Glass
)
Character #2: Boy #66 Chase Rodriguez - Adopted from Pippin.
Designated Weapon: Silver Pill Box Containing Three Cyanide Capsules

Past - None
Pregame - | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (Last seen in - Diversions)
Island - | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (Final Thread - Drawing to an End)

Inge
Player
Inge
Player

January 28th, 2015, 9:50 pm #15

Nice one Vyse! Never would have guessed you were scum.

This was fun, But I think I'm gonna stay out of Mafia for a while so I can focus on other things.
[+] Spoiler
Serena Waters
Will Mckinley
[+] Spoiler
Seth Dunn
Sean Leibowitz
I do let's plays on my youtube channel here.