An official SOTF Discord server!
The new Discord server will include both a regular IM chat that functions similarly to other IM programs such as Skype and Google Hangouts and includes an (optional) group voice chat!
Here are a few things to know about the Discord server:
1. The Chat Code of Conduct still applies to the Discord text and voice chats. Abide by it!
2. Discord functions very similarly to Skype, but actually well programmed.
3. Upon signing in for the first time, you won't be able to talk until a staff member gives you either the Handler or Guest roles, as an added security measure (to protect against complete randoms and people who are very dedicated to circumventing bans). Once you get those roles though, you'll be able to talk anytime you connect.
4. You'll be able to claim a name when you join and talk as soon as you get a role, but you'll need to register that name if you want to keep it (don't get your name stolen!).
5. Profile pictures fall under the same rules as pictures that you post in the chat. Don't use anything inappropriate!
Join link to the Discord server!
Additional link directly to the Discord app, for people who have previously joined the server.
If you guys have any questions about the Discord server (whether in the context of the site or just trying to figure out how to use it), please ask a staff member in PM and we'll add them (and the answers) to the FAQ!
- [+] Spoiler
How do I change my profile picture?
Near the bottom left hand side of the screen, there should be a button with a gear on it nearby your name. Click on it, and then click on the round bubble in the top right of the window that pops up, then select your picture.
Will the IRC be going away?
No! Not for the foreseeable future, at least. If the IRC does end up being retired, it'll be a while from now.
Wait, voice chat? Does that mean everyone can hear me all the time?
Nope! You can only be heard/hear others if you join the voice channel.
Help, I can't join!
Sometimes not having an account with Discord first can cause you to not be able to join the server. Go to discordapp.com first and register an account (and make sure to verify your email!) then retry the join link.
Help, I closed the chat and lost my role!
You'll need to verify your account/email to keep your role. Go do that!