New General SOTF Discussion Thread

Un-Persona
Mr. Danya

4:42 PM - Nov 20, 2013 #1

Because any threads with eaten posts and void pages probably aren't safe to post in.

Have at.
V7 relationship thread! Say hi to my kids!
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ & ❤ ❤
[+] Spoiler
V7 - ❤ ❤ ❤ - PV3 - {❤} ❤ ❤ - TV3 - ❤ ❤ - V8 - ❤ ❤ ❤
[+] Spoiler
21:33RattlesnakeIf you can't ninja roll the solution is to get naked until you can ninja roll

Justice for Natali - Today at 4:21 PM
Your adorable face will not save you from the long dick of the law

Gianni - Today at 8:05 PM
Sometimes the big tru tru different than the small tru tru

Espi
Winner

5:20 PM - Nov 20, 2013 #2

wrote:So hey, let's give a booster to some site discussion since there's been a bit of a lull 'cause of the crash.

What do you guys think of V5 so far? How's it compare to other versions? Who're some people/characters to watch?
V5: Cut Short
Theodore Fletcher
Nina Clarke
Gwen O'Connor

V6: Broken Down
Alice Baker (->Aura)
Henry Spencer
Blair Moore

V7: Unprepared
Rhonda Lawson[/b
Toby Underwood
Paloma Salt

Un-Persona
Mr. Danya

5:44 PM - Nov 20, 2013 #3

Espi wrote:What do you guys think of V5 so far? How's it compare to other versions? Who're some people/characters to watch?
DID SOMEBODY SAY SHAMELESS PLUGGING? (Because I can't really comment on versions I wasn't here for)

Read Ruby Forrester.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ & ❤ ❤
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
21:33RattlesnakeIf you can't ninja roll the solution is to get naked until you can ninja roll

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

6:21 PM - Nov 20, 2013 #4

Ooh, tricky question time!

On the whole, I think it's an interesting version but one that's still struggling to define itself. It's very early to make sweeping judgements, but from what I've seen so far, I'm finding good stuff and bad stuff.

Good stuff:
-V5 is a lot less bloated, which makes it easier to follow and care about.
-V5 is pretty well paced/active.
-The overall mechanics of the site (that is, the basic grammar stuff) have drastically improved.
-I feel handlers are on the whole very involved with their characters/stories.

Bad stuff:
-There's a tendency towards writer silliness instead of character silliness. The degree to which this is true is perhaps smaller than in past versions, but V5 is a smaller version overall and it feels proportionally about the same.
-I feel like there's a lot of playing it safe going on. That is, I think a lot of people find comfortable niches and then stick to them, and while that's not awful it prevents real growth from occurring, which is a disappointment.
-V5 is, as mentioned above, still trying to find its character. I can point out standout characters, but to describe the version as a whole with any degree of specificity would be very difficult.

To further expand upon my issues, I think a good deal of this could just be stylistic divergence.That said, I tend to have issues with humor that springs either from characters being so overblown as to be impossible to imagine as real people or from humor that springs primarily from a detached narrative voice poking fun at the character from an omniscient standpoint. The latter is a lot more common in V5, likely because it's a super common style in humorous internet article and in popular books (think Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams). The problem is, it's a style pretty well suited to a self-contained work that treats all characters equally, but not to a platform encouraging interaction between writers. It tends to end up feeling like the universe itself hates certain characters, which exaggerates them and makes them feel less realistic than a bit of interiority might.

As to playing it safe, this is a hard one to really describe without delving into specifics, but I see a lot of handlers trying the same stuff they've done in V4/Mini. This is fine, but I always find it a lot more enjoyable to see people branching out, writing outside their comfort zones and taking risks. It doesn't have to be big stuff; maybe you always write boys so decide to try a girl, or maybe you tend towards athletes but instead try a bookish sort. This feels a bit like an overall nervousness about failure, which I totally get (nobody wants to do badly!), but I think it also keeps people from really reaching their full potential.

A little side category to this is people staying the course with characters that they think aren't working. I've heard this mentioned but quite a few handlers, and it's a place where I do have advice. That old saying, about not changing horses in the middle of the river? That doesn't apply to SOTF. If you're not feeling a character, it's probably because you've diverted the from their core concept/what makes them work. Far too often, I see handlers say "I've messed things up and now I can't fix them, so I'm just going to power ahead." It's better, far better, to try to put things right again. Look at my favorite example of everything (Lenny). Lenny's character and arc take a drastic change upon his reunion with Lulu, a mere two threads before Endgame. It was something that made sense with his character and was desperately needed. Basically, don't get locked into patterns just 'cause you've started on them. Don't be afraid to let characters go new ways, and enlist others for help if you have to!

This has gotten a bit long and sprawled into mid-version advice, but that's the basic gist of it.

Ciel
Mr. Danya

9:07 PM - Nov 20, 2013 #5

Santa-Sona wrote:
Espi wrote:What do you guys think of V5 so far? How's it compare to other versions? Who're some people/characters to watch?
DID SOMEBODY SAY SHAMELESS PLUGGING? (Because I can't really comment on versions I wasn't here for)

Read Ruby Forrester. One of the characters I am truly following instead of just skimming.
I wanna add my thoughts on Espi's question. Toben has touched on quite a few areas but there have been some subtle differences I've noticed.

For now I want to piggyback on what Persona is doing.

I second Ruby Forrester. Sort of biased here but her arc so far has been very intense. She's one to look out for.

Also read Cody Patton. I'm super enamored by the way Kilmarnock plays him. He can't accept looking weak, not even for a second, and this comes across in his actions. He tries to act cold and cool and tough to make up for the fact that he is just as scared as everyone else, and that he has no clue what to do. It's the little touches he adds that really add color.

Un-Persona
Mr. Danya

1:04 AM - Nov 21, 2013 #6

I agree with the "playing it safe" parts of what they said, as I do feel a lot of people aren't really motivated to really do anything that would attract too much attention to their character, which leads to them not getting read and becoming boring. The absence of suck is not the evidence to not suck. This isn't too say make your kid some "uber l33t unique" kid, as they are suppose to be normal high school students, but do make them fun to read.

Don't let your kids be Kix cereal.

That said, we've seen some things that have been really out there and I'm loving it.

Also, also, read Finn Grant.

(plug plug plug away)
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ & ❤ ❤
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

backslash
Mr. Danya

3:26 PM - Nov 21, 2013 #7

I'm personally enjoying the duo of Jaquilyn Locke and Joachim Lovelace. They both have nice, distinctive voices and I think their teamwork dynamic works very well.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
[+] Spoiler
V5:
G063 Natali Greer was just unlucky.
B047 Marcus Leung lost his way. (Adopted from Solomir.)

V6:
B001 Min-jae Parker is locked away.
B021 Crist?bal Morales let his guard down.
G017 Raina Rose got washed away.
G003 Bridgette Sommerfeld got a shock. (Adopted from Aloha.)
G029 Georgia Lee Day went home. (Adopted from frogue.)
Nathan Lovegrove was left behind.

V7 Pregame:
Myles Roux is considering his options.
Dolores Upton is exploring the past.
Andy Silverman is balling out.
Siyanda Nagi is on the run.
Mercy Ames is passing judgment.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

Badb
Mr. Danya

3:54 PM - Nov 21, 2013 #8

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT SUMMER SIMMS.

Summer Simms is my favourite character because she makes me look like a total hypocrite. Mimi uses her to do all the gross shit I hate seeing in characters (EATING INTESTINES TO MAKE THE TERRORISTS LIKE HER MORE) but does it with such a genuine pathos behind it that you can't help but empathize with Summer as she descends further and further into utter madness. There's been a ton of characters I have enjoyed reading in V5, but Summer is the only one that I've really missed while the board has been down.

I just want her to catch a break at some point.
V5:
B035 - [color=EF98AA]Ray Gilbert[/color] - DECEASED - Guy Fawkes Mask - Too Far Gone
G029 - Zoe Leverett - DECEASED - Machete - To Really Be Alone, To Pick At All the Bones
[/spoiler]
wrote:[18:10] <Laurels> WWJD? Fuck corpses, apparently
wrote:[15:16] <Naft> My college once nearly burned down because someone tried to make a bong out of dollar bills and the fire alarm didn't work

Jilly
Leader
Jilly
Leader

4:59 PM - Nov 21, 2013 #9

This is more of a "characters I enjoy reading" list over a "omg you should check these guys out right now!!!!!1" list, but I digress. I'm not going to include any characters that have been in a thread I've written in because I'm awful at keeping an objective view.

Of the people who have died so far, I really liked reading Lauren Rowe. I thought she had a good mix of action scenes like the little struggle between her and Owen Kay's group in the hospital (not to mention her really, really good silent death scene) and also had some good pure character interactions like her opening scene with Carmina Maliksi or the scene in Central Park. I feel like Iceblock would have done so much more with her had they not gotten unlucky with rolls.

Besides her, I really enjoyed Katy Warren because she was such a complete bitch in most of her interactions. I also liked Carlon Wheeler and Amy Bachelor.

For the people who are still alive, I really like reading Deanna Hull. I wish she can find her plot stride because there's just something about her that makes her likable to me. I don't know if it's her personality or D/N's writing or some combo of the two, but I like reading every post with her although the only interesting scene with her has been when she almost drowned in one of her early threads. I also feel the same with Brianna Battaglia, but I have a feeling her plot is going to pick up pretty soon.

I think Rosemary Michaels is a good read as she's a good example of someone who starts out kind of slow but eventually deviates from the "wander around the island aimlessly" vanilla plotline into something better. It's a shame that a lot of her good threads like the battle of wits against Joachim Lovelace got ate by the glutenous data eater monster, but I'm not too worried because I'm sure she's going to recover.

Speaking of which, I need to list more male characters so I'm gonna pimp Joachim Lovelace and Garrett Wilde as well. Honestly it'd probably be easier for me to just list the characters I don't like, but I'm not that mean. Not until V5 is over, anyway.

Un-Persona
Mr. Danya

5:09 PM - Nov 21, 2013 #10

Ah yes, the dead deserve some recognition too. I'm gonna second Carlon Wheeler and Amy Bachelor, but I'll also throw Adonis Alba into the mix, as he's got an interesting mix and match story through his journey, and there's some really good understated things there.

I am also reminded that I should explain why you should read my suggestions instead of just saying them, ehehehe. Gonna be short to avoid gushing.

Ruby Forrester - Just a girl who's got an interesting view point and personality who has never been bogged down in her story so far and is always advancing.

Finn Grant - Simply makes me feel what is trying to conveyed. If he acts like an asshole, It's not hard for me think of him as an asshole, and if he's a bitch, he's a real bitch. Usually, I can see what someone is trying to show in their writing but not really get it, but I actually am getting emotions when reading Finn, and there's a lot of it.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
&#10084; &#10084; &#10084; &#10084; & &#10084; &#10084;
[+] Spoiler
V7 - &#10084; &#10084; &#10084; - PV3 - {&#10084;} &#10084; &#10084; - TV3 - &#10084; &#10084; - V8 - &#10084; &#10084; &#10084;
[+] Spoiler

Ciel
Mr. Danya

6:59 PM - Nov 21, 2013 #11

Kalopsia wrote:LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT SUMMER SIMMS.

Summer Simms is my favourite character because she makes me look like a total hypocrite. Mimi uses her to do all the gross shit I hate seeing in characters (EATING INTESTINES TO MAKE THE TERRORISTS LIKE HER MORE) but does it with such a genuine pathos behind it that you can't help but empathize with Summer as she descends further and further into utter madness. There's been a ton of characters I have enjoyed reading in V5, but Summer is the only one that I've really missed while the board has been down.

I just want her to catch a break at some point.
The fight scene and subsequent kill in Big Stick Ideology is what people in V1 and V2 were foaming at the mouth to pull off but failed miserably when they tried.

I really want to go on about how I actually prefer the most recent versions to the very first ones but... we all know about that. About how they are better. Right?

Badb
Mr. Danya

7:12 PM - Nov 21, 2013 #12

Ciel wrote:I really want to go on about how I actually prefer the most recent versions to the very first ones but... we all know about that. About how they are better. Right?
I am a V2 apologist.
V5:
B035 - [color=EF98AA]Ray Gilbert[/color] - DECEASED - Guy Fawkes Mask - Too Far Gone
G029 - Zoe Leverett - DECEASED - Machete - To Really Be Alone, To Pick At All the Bones
[/spoiler]
wrote:[18:10] <Laurels> WWJD? Fuck corpses, apparently
wrote:[15:16] <Naft> My college once nearly burned down because someone tried to make a bong out of dollar bills and the fire alarm didn't work

Un-Persona
Mr. Danya

7:33 PM - Nov 21, 2013 #13

I'm not gonna give a definite answer so early, but I like this one as of right now.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
&#10084; &#10084; &#10084; &#10084; & &#10084; &#10084;
[+] Spoiler
V7 - &#10084; &#10084; &#10084; - PV3 - {&#10084;} &#10084; &#10084; - TV3 - &#10084; &#10084; - V8 - &#10084; &#10084; &#10084;
[+] Spoiler

NotAFlyingToy
Winner

8:10 PM - Nov 21, 2013 #14

Okay. So.

I see a distinct lack of Paris love in this thread and that's inexcusable. One of his more recent threads (that was unfortunately nommed by the cancer that was the V5 stagnation) actually had me stop reading, cover my mouth with a hand, and whisper "oh my god" aloud. It was one of two moments of reading V5 that had me genuinely feel something and be completely taken by surprise by events that took place in the thread.

Go read Paris. He's great!

Seconding Garrett Wilde, but that's not really a surprise at this point since I've plugged him since the podcast. I don't share Persona's enthusiasm for Finn Grant as much, but dude's been in some pretty incredible threads - he encounted both Joe Carrasco and Mara Montalvo at turning points in both of their stories - and he has a pretty good voice.

As a first time player, I can't really comment on what's different beyond "oh hey, these are pretty coherent overall".
A list of the dying, a list of the damned.
[+] Spoiler
We've yet to live and soon will fall.

B027: Oskar Pearce has his shields up -- Step back from it, Jane. (Adopted from SansaSaver!)
[+] Spoiler
We've fought and fought and lost it all.

G063: Natali Greer fell into sadness and couldn't get out -- Everything was going to be alright. (Adopted Posthumously from backslash!)
B067: Brandon Baxter died as he lived -- On his own terms.
B076: Hansel Williams wasn't wrong, in the end -- I wouldn't change anything. Not a goddamn thing.
[+] Spoiler
Here in the wings, we wait for the call.

Jaden Bertelli wants you to be better -- Work harder, no excuses.
Miley Sacramento isn't looking for the long-term -- Like, why are the democrats an elephant, anyway?
Robert Munnings hates your favourite teacher -- We hurt ourselves so that others can't.
Kelsey Hamilton is going to be the best in the world -- Out of my way, dead man.
Asher Glas really admires the way you carry yourself -- Oh, hey - let me get that for you.
"Skinny" Trevor Sharpe would sell the shirt off of your back -- Pick your poison.

Espi
Winner

8:16 PM - Nov 21, 2013 #15

I second most of these, though Maynard Hurst, Michelle Wexler and Sean Mulcahy take my favorite slots.
V5: Cut Short
Theodore Fletcher
Nina Clarke
Gwen O'Connor

V6: Broken Down
Alice Baker (->Aura)
Henry Spencer
Blair Moore

V7: Unprepared
Rhonda Lawson[/b
Toby Underwood
Paloma Salt