Discuss anything and everything that has to do with SOTF here -- from your favorite character to comments and suggestions about the site! This forum also contains roleplaying guides for your benefit!
Inge
Player
Inge
Player

January 20th, 2016, 12:27 am #321

Yes.
[+] spoiler
Serena Waters
Will Mckinley
[+] spoiler
Seth Dunn
Sean Leibowitz
I do let's plays on my youtube channel here.

backslash
Mr. Danya

January 20th, 2016, 4:34 am #322

Most comments in the "Your Thoughts" section on character pages have bullet points by them to help keep comments from different users separated. There's not a rule about it or anything, though.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
[+] spoiler
V5:
G063 Natali Greer was just unlucky.
B047 Marcus Leung lost his way. (Adopted from Solomir.)

V6:
B001 Min-jae Parker is locked away.
B021 Crist?bal Morales let his guard down.
G017 Raina Rose got washed away.
G003 Bridgette Sommerfeld got a shock. (Adopted from Aloha.)
G029 Georgia Lee Day went home. (Adopted from frogue.)
Nathan Lovegrove was left behind.

V7 Pregame:
Myles Roux is considering his options.
Dolores Upton is exploring the past.
Andy Silverman is balling out.
Siyanda Nagi is on the run.
Mercy Ames is passing judgment.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

January 23rd, 2016, 9:57 pm #323

Yep! I standardized the formatting on the V4 pages to make it easy to follow, and may do the same for consistency elsewhere eventually, but nothing's really required. If you have bullet points within your comment, maybe just indent the bullet points so it's clear they're not new comments?

Inge
Player
Inge
Player

January 25th, 2016, 12:53 pm #324

How do you guys feel about character dissonance? For example how a person looks at themselves versus how others do?
[+] spoiler
Serena Waters
Will Mckinley
[+] spoiler
Seth Dunn
Sean Leibowitz
I do let's plays on my youtube channel here.

backslash
Mr. Danya

January 25th, 2016, 4:15 pm #325

Seth Crimson wrote:How do you guys feel about character dissonance? For example how a person looks at themselves versus how others do?
It can be really interesting and give insight into a character that you wouldn't get without it. It's something that comes up with villains pretty often, particularly those types that see themselves as the protagonist/hero of their own stories when they're the danger in someone else's. Done well, I think it can make someone more relatable when their actions would otherwise be alienating. It can fall flat too, of course, and you might end up with someone who sees themselves in a very unrealistic way.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
[+] spoiler
V5:
G063 Natali Greer was just unlucky.
B047 Marcus Leung lost his way. (Adopted from Solomir.)

V6:
B001 Min-jae Parker is locked away.
B021 Crist?bal Morales let his guard down.
G017 Raina Rose got washed away.
G003 Bridgette Sommerfeld got a shock. (Adopted from Aloha.)
G029 Georgia Lee Day went home. (Adopted from frogue.)
Nathan Lovegrove was left behind.

V7 Pregame:
Myles Roux is considering his options.
Dolores Upton is exploring the past.
Andy Silverman is balling out.
Siyanda Nagi is on the run.
Mercy Ames is passing judgment.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

January 25th, 2016, 9:59 pm #326

Seth Crimson wrote:How do you guys feel about character dissonance? For example how a person looks at themselves versus how others do?
Handled well, I think it's great. That said, it runs into issues super often as a result of SOTF's house style and how that meshes with application.

SOTF generally speaking is told in third person, which means the narrative has some level of distance from a character. It might not be that much distance; D/N's kids, for example, tend to have super strong and distinct voices that seep into even mundane narration. The thing about it, though, is that such distance, minimal though it may be, is still enough that there should be some idea that the character is deluding themselves/an unreliable perspective. This is where it can become really tricky.

To portray a character (even a character who's a really terrible person) in an engaging manner usually requires some level of sympathy--from the author if not from the audience. This becomes even more notable if the character thinks they're not a horrible person; the author has to get into their head and figure out how they make themselves believe what they do and how they keep up the facade. The thing is, from all I've seen this can easily lead the author to not just sympathize with, but actually be unambiguously on the side of their character. Even that's not necessarily bad, but it tends to be a huge warning sign.

See, even if the author's on their character's side, the narrative should not be. If it is, things end up unbecoming in a hurry. What happens when the character has no self-awareness and the author is on their character's side and the narrative is too is that the character's story starts to come off like it's constantly glorifying them (sometimes with occasional halfhearted "But, tee hee, he was doing bad things really" moments where you can tell that it's sorta there to pretend things haven't progressed to the stage they have).

Then there's the other side, where the author doesn't spend that time establishing empathy. Usually this comes from someone wanting to write a player and running into trouble trying to figure out why someone would play; "She's deluded and trying to do the right thing!" is then an attractive option because it means not having to get into really scary headspace and it allows for a lot of possible shifts in perspective/evolutions in narrative. The thing is, in these cases what is missed is that it's really hard to kill lots of people and think you're doing the right thing.

An underdeveloped justification leaves it feeling like nobody's taking the character's perfunctory insistence that they're doing the right thing seriously. This, in turn, can leave it feeling like an obvious sham on every level. It either ends up feeling like the character is lying to themselves (which can be handled well if done intentionally, but actually does benefit a lot from not being jaw-droppingly obvious) or like the character is a massive idiot (which, again, is the sort of trait that should probably be developed intentionally).

There's also the thing that can occur where everyone thinks they're doing the right thing. Now, it's true that almost everyone's the protagonist of their own story, but there's a huge difference between justifying to yourself/minimizing the reprehensibility of your actions and thinking you're doing the right thing, that is to say believing killing a bunch of folks is not only morally justified but actually good.

Have more to say later, maybe, but not really feeling up to that right now.

Cake
Contender
Cake
Contender

February 1st, 2016, 8:09 am #327

I don't know what I'm doing these days, but I'd like to try some SOTF once more. How do I play sotf again?

Some good pregame recommendations? Characters Profiles? Planning threads? Anything, bc I'm Rusty as Truck.

Winner
Winner

February 1st, 2016, 7:59 pm #328

Yaaay, welcome back Caaake! :3 We need more people for V6.

Lani, Bryony and Ty are characters I'd recommend to read to get into V6!

Deamon
Mr. Danya
Deamon
Mr. Danya

February 5th, 2016, 9:31 am #329

Why is there a Rays On Pinion ll? That's weird and I don't know how to feel about it.
Forrest Quin - At the Zoo
Bret Carter - On a date
Aliya Kimia Nemati - In Training
Arizona - Practicing
[+] spoiler
Kimiko Kao - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯
Travis "Trav" Lynch - ♞ - ♞ - ♞ - ♞ - ♞ - ♞ - ♞
Cameron Herrig - Ω - Ω - Ω
[+] spoiler
Gray Emerson - "No. We don't follow."
Yasmin "Yaz" Carroll - "I don't really have a plan anymore."
Christopher Harlin - "You can look me in the eyes and shoot me."

Yugikun
Mr. Danya

February 5th, 2016, 10:26 am #330

Yeah, I'm not sure what to think about this either. Why are they making a sequel? They'll ruin the perfect ending the first one had!
[+] spoiler

G???: Anna "Roxanne" Herbert - "...It's a god-awful small affair..." - 0%
PREGAME - Past: 1 | Present: 1 2 3
THEME: Dire Straits - Skateaway

G???: Teresa Rojas - "..." - 0%
PREGAME - Past: 1 | Present: 1 2
THEME: Tata Young - Sexy Naughty Bitchy Me

B???: Jonathan Meyers - "..." - 0%
PREGAME - Past: 1 | Present: 1
THEME: Kate Miller-Heidke - Caught In The Crowd
[+] spoiler
Ashley Tanner - The Tattooed Jackass - "We got the music, we got the drinks, I think we have a recipe for some rock n' roll."
Yuko Hayashibara - The Tomboy - "Yo, homeboy, come over here. I wanna play some ball."
[+] spoiler

B003: Jeremy Frasier - ?Yeah. No regrets.? - 57%
Kills: 2 | Equipped with: Scoped Raging Bull, $1000, Wooden Baseball Bat, Eyepatch, Pancor Jackhammer
PREGAME - Past: 1 2 3 | Present: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Sadie Hawkins: 1 2
V6: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
THEME: OneRepublic - Love Runs Out

B013: Alvaro Vacanti - ?Thank... you...? - 41%
Kills: 3 | Equipped with: MAC-10
PREGAME - Past: 1 2 3 | Present: 1 2 3 4 5 | Sadie Hawkins: 1 2
V6: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
THEME: The Megas - The Haystack Principle

G030: Jasmine King - "I win." - 11%
Kills: 0 | Equipped with: Brass Knuckles
PREGAME - Past: 1 | Present: 1 2 3 | Sadie Hawkins: 1
V6: 1 2 3 4 5
THEME: Luck Ganriki - golden sneer

Hi! I have a blog! Please check it out and follow and stuff!