Namira
Mr. Danya

March 16th, 2015, 2:59 pm #31

Working with the Inquisition was more fulfilling than Vee would have given it credit for at first. She’d never wanted to join the templars, nor become a sister, nor go off and join the military – not that her parents would have allowed it. Being a part of a huge organisation, just a cog in a massive piece of clockwork; it didn’t strike her as something that she would enjoy. Her experience in the templars as a teenager had taught her that much. One of the few memories that was completely distinct was the feeling of fierce joy that had shot through her when Ostwick’s Knight-Commander had finally lost his temper and sent her away, throwing her out of the order. It had even been worth enduring her family’s disgust and anger with her upon her ignominious return. Wasn’t as if it was the first time she’d been a disappointment to them.

Still, the Inquisition was a contrast. Nobody was giving her orders here, or treating her like a mindless drone. She was appreciated; her help was appreciated, and the Inquisition was becoming a beacon of hope for many people. Often, they were the only people who were bothering to lend aid to the common folk affected by the crisis. That meant a lot more than Vee could express, or in truth had expected it to. She’d never really been an extrinsically motivated person; self-reliance and independence, those were her watchwords. <i>Had</i> been her watchwords. Even the confused stares at her silence and movements of her hands were beginning to grow less frequent as the word spread that the Herald did not speak. Some were even taking that as a sign of her faith and dedication to Andraste; that she had taken a vow not to say a word until the Breach was closed. Leliana, Vee knew, had done nothing to discourage those rumours. Better those than the more sinister ones.

Almost as enthusing as the good work they were doing was the fact that the Inquisition was growing. New recruits and contacts trickled in on a daily basis; the flood of support they’d received from the Hinterlands was both alarming and gratifying. Perhaps it shouldn’t be a surprise that people wanted to become a part of an organisation that had helped them out – returning the favour, so to speak. Along with the volunteers came others, companions trusted enough for Vee to bring along in her smaller excursions, to lead tasks of their own. Vivienne, the elegant mage who made Vee uncomfortable, reminding her so much of the atmosphere at home that she’d craved to escape. Blackwall, the Grey Warden, gruff and serious, but dedicated, deferring to orders without question. Sera, who had found the idea of Vee’s signing ‘Weird, but not bad weird. Good kind of weird, yeah?’. Then there was Iron Bull, warrior and spy, boisterous and full-hearted. Vee didn’t know what to make of him.

Sometimes, though, Vee just needed a break from them all, from her responsibilities. She wasn’t used to anyone particularly caring about what she was doing, or bothering to track her down for any reason other than to scold her about some task she was perceived to be dodging. Which she inevitably was not, but that wouldn’t stop her mother telling her off for the sake of it. Now though, the Inquisition demanded her attention on a regular basis; part of being the Herald, she supposed. Strange that even though she did not lead their field operations – Cassandra was better at that, the others often deferred to her anyway. Not strange enough to mean that it wasn’t nice to have her opinion valued, however.

She sat facing the frozen lake outside of Haven’s gates, perched on a rock with her legs crossed. Behind her she could hear the clamour of the soldiers in training, the shouting and the clash of blade on blade. Silence had always unsettled her, even when she was young; it came with growing up alongside a veritable hoard of siblings, she supposed. Vee thought better when there was at least a little bustle going on, if only just in the background. That was a boost she needed, too, because she was attempting to write home.

It felt a futile effort, to try and commit ink to parchment. Relearning her letters had taken some time, hours upon hours sitting in Josephine’s office and reading correspondence, trying to make sense of the lines upon the page as the other woman patiently walked her through it. Remembering how to write had been difficult, though thankfully less of a stubborn block than her verbal language, in spite of her clumsy penmanship. No, the difficulties were no longer in mechanics or comprehension, but in finding anything at all to say. Vee’s feelings about her family were mixed, possibly the most patchwork part of her memory. She cared for her siblings. Some of them. She cared for her parents, but it was tangled, mixed up in years of hostility and disagreements that her hazy recollections could barely make sense of. Her mother had wanted a specific path for her, Vee had wanted another. Her father had simply… wanted her out from underfoot. Married off. She’d disappointed both in her rebellion, and she regretted that they felt that way, but not that she’d done it in the first place.

Very complicated, and Vee didn’t even know where to begin with the letter, wouldn’t even have thought to write if a short message from home hadn’t arrived a few days ago.

’Violetta, we have heard a great many distressing things about the Conclave and what may have happened to you.

Please let us know that you are safe and hale.

Lady Harriet Trevelyan
Ostwick.’

To just say that she was fine seemed cursory. Vee was fine, mostly. Better than she’d been in a long while, which was a lot of the problem. It was better because it wasn’t Ostwick. What was she supposed to write? ‘Oh I’m okay. Alive. Also they’re calling me the Herald of Andraste now and I forgot how talking works. Hope you’re not still angry about the templar thing.’

Vee stared vehemently at the blank page, as if that would cause words to materialise on it.

“Herald, are you alright?” the voice was soft, so different from the commanding tone she was used to hearing that it took Vee a moment to realise that it belonged to Cullen.

Vee swivelled and hesitated. Her hands had already begun forming the motions of signing, but she wasn’t sure if Cullen would understand. After a moment though, she realised; he was studying her closely at just below chest level. Where she was signing. She completed the movements.

’I’ve been better. My mother wrote me.’

Cullen’s lips moved soundlessly. He was mouthing the words. “I see,” he glanced to the blank paper at Vee’s side. “The reply is not going so well, it seems.”

She broke into a smile, in spite of the unhappy topic. He could understand. Now his long looks towards her in the meetings of the inner circle made so much more sense. He had been trying to work out what she was saying. How long must that have taken him to pick up?

Her face fell again as she considered a response. ’Our relationship is…’ Vee hesitated before settling on ’Strained.’

“Ah… you have my sympathies,” the commander ducked his head. “I did not mean to pry, I simply saw that you had been sitting out here for over an hour. I thought you may be cold.”

’It’s fine. But thank you C u l l e n.’

A smile, tugging the scar above his lip. He suited smiling, Vee decided. “I … think that was my name. Was it my name?”

Vee nodded, tilted her head to the side. ‘Did you learn this by yourself?’

“Not all,” Cullen admitted. “I’m still thoroughly inept at making the signs for myself.”

‘You understand at least. Most can’t,’ Vee was still having to direct most of her communication through Solas and more recently Varric, who had taken no small delight in the realisation that he could now sign obscene jokes to her without anybody else realising, laughing to himself whenever he made her blush in front of other people.

“You’re high on the chain of command. It’s important that I know what you’re saying, if we were to be in the midst of battle, relaying orders through a translator would be a luxury we could ill afford, any delay could possibly result in-” Cullen paused, cutting himself off, sheepish. “Forgive me. I came over to see if you were all right, and now it seems I’m lecturing you, instead.”

Vee grinned. ’I’m used to lectures. That was far from the worst I’ve had,’ in truth, it was just nice that Cullen had gone to such an effort. He may have had his reasons, but there were plenty who would have had good reason to learn to comprehend her signing and hadn’t bothered.

“Oh? It seems I’ve found the only person in Haven willing to listen to me talk,” Cullen glanced over his shoulder and then sighed. “Sadly, duty calls. Best of luck with your letter. Perhaps next time I’ll be able to speak to you in kind,” a salute.

’I look forward to it,’ she answered, and Cullen nodded, turning away with that cute half-smile on his face.

A wisp of an impression drifted behind him.

Comrade. Commander. Can I learn more about her? Can we become friends?

SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!
[+] Spoiler
13:58 Gianni Oh come on you broke someone's heart
13:59 Gianni you are proud, not embarrassed
13:59 Christian Yes
13:59 Christian Be proud
13:59 Christian Do we not all strive to break a human soul?
[+] Spoiler
Vincenzo/a 'Vinny' 'Enzo' Gatti | DO IT FOR THE VINE.
Toby 'Noodle' Andreasson | :|
[+] Spoiler
G008 - Kammy So'oialo | wants a new script
G062 - Becca Everett | was a damn superstar
G071 - Sunshine Cho Lee | trusted
[+] Spoiler
G026 - Rosalia Fiametta | Found it. | Walkie Talkies
G014 - Yelizaveta 'Bounce' Volkova | Out of here | Gasoline
B060 - Brock Mason | Thump. Thump |
G029 - Kristina 'Kris' Hartmann | Put Down. | Drama Bombs [&#8734;], M79 Grenade Launcher [x6 grenades]
G117 - Jessie Anderson | Still Smiling | Faith

Namira
Mr. Danya

March 31st, 2015, 12:13 pm #32

As I keep forgetting to post here, and the work is actually complete now, I'm going to just put up a link to the finished piece:
wrote:Dragon Age: Inquisition fanfic

Genre: Angst, Romance, and Drama

Rating: M (violence and dark themes)

Warnings: Blood, mentions of injuries, character death, and body horror.

Prompt: The Inquisitor is not truly who they think they are, but a spirit inhabiting the body of the individual who originally passed through the Fade, being rendered comatose in the process. Now, with a head full of borrowed memories and all the problems to go along with it, they must navigate the challenges the Inquisition faces and, along the way, rediscover their own nature.

Word Count: 67,000

Having decided that I am categorically Too Lazy to post each individual chapter on tumblr, I figured I may as well link to the finished work on AO3. Angst abounds, and there are spoilers up to Here Lies The Abyss.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/340556 ... rs/7455317

Original prompt: http://dragonage-kink.livejournal.com/1 ... #t47703669

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
G029 - Kristina 'Kris' Hartmann | Put Down. | Drama Bombs [&#8734;], M79 Grenade Launcher [x6 grenades]

Namira
Mr. Danya

April 15th, 2015, 1:09 am #33

Walk a Mile on This Crutch

Dragon Age: Origins

Genre: Angst, Romance, and Fluff

Rating: T (some violence, not too graphic)

Warnings: Blood, mentions of injuries

Summary: Or, 'five times having only one leg was an issue, and once that it wasn't.'

A dip into the life of Rosemary Surana and her adventures in the Blight, and the struggles she encountered along the way.

Spoilers for most of DA: Origins, and currently ongoing.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/365735 ... rs/8081844

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

April 20th, 2015, 5:26 pm #34

Choices

Moar dragon age inquisition.

wrote:Decided to continue with the work I started before Friend of the Fade and keep writing the 'all backgrounds' fic I was working on.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/368027 ... rs/8138418

So every type of Inquisitor coming through one way or another to join the Inquisition. Lots of short snips of scenes.

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

April 26th, 2015, 3:33 pm #35

Walk a Mile updated yesterday. =3

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

May 7th, 2015, 1:53 pm #36

And it done did again.

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

May 8th, 2015, 1:49 am #37

Walk a Mile is finished!
wrote:Dragon Age: Origins fanfic

Genre: Fluff, Friendship, and Romance

Rating: T (a little violence)

Warnings: Blood, some injuries, ableism.

Summary: Or, 'five times having only one leg was an issue, and once that it wasn't.'

A dip into the life of Rosemary Surana and her adventures in the Blight, and the struggles she encountered along the way.

Word Count: 30,600

A little sad in places, but largely good feelings here. Spoilers for much of Origins.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/365735 ... rs/8081844

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

June 19th, 2015, 3:21 am #38

Valkyria Chronicles fic.
[+] Spoiler
“Have a nice day!”

There was a gentle tinkle from the bell above the door as a customer left the florist, carrying a handful of small flowers.

The woman behind the store’s counter smiled fondly at the closed door, and then stifled a yawn. Eesh, already getting tired and it was only mid-afternoon. She supposed that was what she got for starting work so early, and there wasn’t really anyone to blame but herself for that. The sign outside did say Jane’s, after all, and the store was a one-woman operation. Jane had considered hiring help more than once, but on the whole, she was happiest when she was working. Besides, she liked the quiet, liked the peacefulness that came with being surrounded with nothing but the aroma of many flowers.

It wasn’t as if there was much scope for expanding the business anyway. Jane had been running the florist since she was eighteen, and by now she’d developed a good understanding of the demand for her services. Enough people in Bruhl wanted flowers regularly enough for Jane to keep the store afloat, and that was good enough for her. The way things were now, Jane did decent business and had time to cultivate a lot of what she sold for herself. An employee would mean management. Unpleasant.

Although, the news of a war between the Empire and Gallia was a sobering prospect. A lot of folks had been leaving Bruhl lately, as close to the border as it was, and Jane was torn. She’d only been a child during the first Europan war, and yet there were still some memories that had stuck with here through all those years. Jane didn’t want to experience any of that again, and her older brother’s family were in Randgriz. He wouldn’t begrudge her a spare room. However, she’d put down roots here, she’d- well, she’d made something of her own. She’d proven that she could be a success. Jane wasn’t sure she could bring herself to just abandon her store, not after almost ten years of it being the centre of her world.

Logic suggested that the store would still be there when the war ended and Jane returned to Bruhl, that leaving would only be temporary, and remaining would just expose her to needless danger. Emotion clung fitfully to the concern that if she left, she’d somehow never see the town again. It was difficult to argue in the face of a persistent anxiety like that one, even when Jane reminded herself that her store was a building, and anything that happened whilst she was away would therefore hardly be something she could have prevented.

Unfortunately, thinking of it in that way just caused her stomach to tie itself in knots, sending her fears spiralling into an ever descending pit of impossible misfortune.

Tinkle.

Jane looked up from the counter, snapping herself out of it. Good thing, too, considering her thoughts had reached ‘Bruhl being devoured by a gigantic reptile’ levels of crazy.

“Hey, Miss Turner!”

Jane couldn’t stop her eyebrows from rising in surprise. Next door neighbour’s fifteen year old kid Greg wasn’t someone she had seen in her shop before, nor expected to. A sandy-haired dynamo on legs, he had more zip than he knew how to deal with, and more than once had gone crashing into the display baskets outside of the store. She would have been mad if he wasn’t always so utterly mortified about it, blushing a brilliant crimson and stammering out a string of apologies. After the third such incident, he’d began giving the place a wide berth, so seeing him actually enter was odd.

“Afternoon, Greg. Did your mother send you?”

Greg looked down at his toes, shuffling his feet. “Ah um, no, Miss Turner. Actually, uhm, I was, um… that is… I was h-hoping to buy some flowers.”

Jane stared, and then smiled broadly. Now here was one for the books. “Well, feel free to look around,” she paused, waiting for Greg to move. The teen didn’t budge, remaining in the doorway, a conflicted expression on his face as his eyes flitted from stand to stand. “I can help, if you aren’t sure what kind you want.”

Relief came crashing down across Greg’s features. “O-oh! Yeah! That’d- that’d be great, Miss Turner. I um… I really don’t know anything about flowers.”

“A good place to start is who they’re for. What’s the occasion?”

Greg blushed so hard Jane found herself reflexively checking to see if he’d knocked anything over. “They… I- um… I... w-well they’re… t-there’s a friend. I w-wanted to, um, make her-make them feel better.”

Oh. Ohhh. Teenager, nervous as you like, trying to buy flowers, heavily concerned about which would be right; Jane thought she knew what was up, here. Well now, it seemed that she had a future romantic on her hands.

“If you’re not sure what flowers they like, then it’s better to go for something simple that still looks nice. It’s about the gesture, right?”

Greg nodded. “She- they’re sad because of um, because of evacuating. She doesn’t, um, doesn’t want to leave Bruhl.”

Jane barely kept herself from wincing. Just when she’d found a distraction to get that worry out of her head…

Wasn’t the kid’s fault, though. “Definitely something simple,” she pushed past her hesitance. “Maybe something that grows outside of town? Then that carries the meaning you’re looking for.

Greg’s eyes lit up. “Yeah! That’s a great idea, Miss Turner! You’re the best!”

And now warmth was rushing to Jane’s cheeks. It was always incredibly gratifying to see how much her flowers could mean to people. Made the slow days and the hard work worth it. This feeling of pride and second hand contentment was the root of her problems with leaving Bruhl. It had grown to be her joy, her reason for motivating herself to man the store all day and keep a smile on her face for each and every customer. Where would she be, without the shop?

Nope. Nope. Not thinking about that.

“All right. Let me help you pick out a few…”

The next twenty minutes passed in a happy little blur. Beyond his initial nervousness, Greg steadily grew more enthusiastic about the prospect of putting together a bouquet, and Jane, naturally, had always enjoyed assembling and styling a flower bunch.

Soon enough, Greg, grinning from ear to ear, held the bouquet tightly in his arms. Jane was smiling just looking at him. He was definitely going to cause more than a little swooning with an attitude like this. Jane named a price a little lower than usual – for reminding her of why she loved her job – and then watched Greg go, a spring in his step and pleased as punch. Hopefully it would go well with his friend. Although after a moment Jane reflected soberly that she wasn’t likely to find out anytime soon, if Greg was evacuating soon.

Jane sighed. Damn it all. She needed to get out of here for a while, clear her head. And not just because pollen was hanging heavily in the air.

Stepping out from behind the counter, Jane headed for the door, pausing to turn around one of the signs hanging on the back from ‘Welcome to Jane’s!’ to ‘Out for lunch!’, before moving outside, taking a deep breath. Sometimes the scent of flowers could get to be a little too much when you were surrounded by it for hours on end, days on weeks.

Jane yawned, stretched. The sun was shining, barely a cloud in the sky. It just didn’t seem right that the weather could be this nice when Gallia was at war. It felt as if everything should be stopping and taking notice. Just made it harder to believe that the Imperials were truly invading them. They’d done it once, though, and Jane wasn’t naïve enough to believe that they wouldn’t again.

Perhaps she’d feel better for something to eat. That café on the corner would be open, right?

As Jane walked, she reached up, pulling her long dark hair out of its tail. She felt more professional with it tied up, just a little point of pride. Though, if she really cared that much, she wouldn’t have had the pair of rings in her right ear. Feh. Wasn’t as if anyone in Bruhl gave a damn. She really needed to be less hung up over what her family thought of her job. Sure, her parents acted proud enough in company that their eldest daughter was a businesswoman, but the moment Jane actually explained what it was she did, they both took on those condescending smiles, like they were indulging her.

And they wondered why she never visited.

A high pitched whistling broke across the sound of Jane’s footfalls on the cobbled street, and a frown creased her brow. What was that? Some kind of bird? No, it couldn’t be, too much of a whine, too much-

Her eyes widened. Oh no. She’d heard that before.

Jane turned just in time to see an artillery shell obliterate her home and livelihood.

She stood stock still and stared, the heat from the explosion washing over her body, close enough for the shockwave to make her rock back on her heels.

The storefront was gone. The building burned, blackened beams wreathed in flames. Flowers crisped, shrivelling into darkened corpses of blooms. The roof had caved in, collapsing in on the interior, everything she owned up in smoke. Shattered glass littered the street from the blown out windows.

Something trickled down Jane’s face. It took her a moment to realise that she was bleeding. Stray shrapnel must have caught her.

She couldn’t feel the wound, was finding it difficult to care at all.

Her… her store.

No, this wasn’t- this couldn’t be…

“Hey! You gotta get off the street! It’s too dangerous!”

Jane looked around in a dreamlike daze. Standing a little ways off was a deeply-tanned man wearing the helmet and tunic of the town watch. Well, man was maybe pushing it; his features were youthful. He couldn’t be out of his teens. He was carrying a rifle, raised and readied, though not pointed at her.

“…What?” she couldn’t drag words from her mouth. She’d wake up in a moment, right? This was just some kind of horrible nightmare.

“Imperials are attacking! C’mon! This way!”

The watchman raced past, and after a long moment, Jane forced her legs to move, dragged her eyes away from the blown-out wreckage of her life and began stumbling after him. Her body wasn’t cooperating, balance shaky, equilibrium off as tremors ran through her. Now that the ringing in her ears was subsiding, Jane could hear shouting and yelling, the crack of gunshots, explosions as more shells dropped onto Bruhl.

“Wait, where are we going?”

She forced the question out. There was an unsettling fizzing in the pit of her stomach, which had seemingly dropped to somewhere around her boots. It churned away, distilling sadness, pain and perhaps more.

Her companion barely even paused, just calling over his shoulder. “Town gate! We’re evacuating!”

Evacuating? Leaving? Letting the Imperials win by running away? Surely there was something that could be done. Surely this couldn’t be how Jane left Bruhl behind.

It couldn’t…

Ahead was the gate of Bruhl. Nearby, a group of watchmen were frantically stacking up sandbags into makeshift cover. A steady stream of people were fleeing through the gate, many nursing injuries or struggling even to walk. A cold finger of ice traced down Jane’s spine. Seeing her home like this, people she’d met on a daily basis running for their lives…

“Noce! You’re here!” one of the watchmen called to Jane’s companion.

He – Noce, she supposed, hurried over. “Any word from the rest of town?”

“Miss Melchiott took out an Imperial officer over at Mill Plaza, but she says that they have tanks!”

Noce’s eyes widened for a moment. “Alicia did what-“ he cut himself off. “She’s safe though, right? Where is she now?”

“Last I heard she was pulling everyone back to defend the gate. She should be here any minute.”

Noce bit his lip, and then glanced over his shoulder to Jane, seemingly remembering she was there. “We’re gonna be up to our eyes in Imperials any second now. You should get out, ma’am.”

Jane’s heart hammered. They’d just taken everything from her. Everything. Noce meant well, but what was the point of running away? Flee to Randgriz with her tail between her legs, with nothing to come home to?

“Give me a gun,” she told him.

Noce started. “A gun? No, ma’am, I can’t let you- I’m town watch, this is our job!”

“I had training same as you, Noce. Let me put a bullet in them for Bruhl.”

“Noce! That’s the last of the townspeople! We have to close the gate!”

He looked at her, expression conflicted, then sighed, nodded. “Shut it,” Noce paused, looked at Jane again, and then grabbed a rifle from next to the sandbags and handed it to her. “I won’t say no to somebody that wants to help, miss…”

“Jane. It’s Jane,” she replied, taking the gun, hefting it to get a feel for the weight. It had been a long time since her mandatory military training, and there was a moment or two where she couldn’t quite remember what to do. Then it clicked, and Jane was readying the firing mechanism, disengaging the safety.

“All right, Jane. Stay in cover, make your shots count, and don’t be a hero. If they come rolling in with a tank there really isn’t much we can do about it.”

“Understood,” her hands had stopped trembling since they started gripping the rifle. Focused, now, on something more than her sorrow.

“Noce! It’s Miss Melchiott!”

The relief was plain on Noce’s face as a young woman with brown hair tied up in a headscarf came dashing towards the ramshackle defensive position, trailed by two more watchmen. Jane thought she recognised her. Wasn’t that the baker’s apprentice?

“Alicia! You’re all right!” Noce was clearly struggling not to break into a huge grin.

The girl – Alicia, didn’t seem to notice. “Just barely. There’s a tank on its way, and a whole squad of soldiers with it.”

“What’s the plan?” Noce seemed to hang on her word. Was she in charge, here, or was there something else going on?

“We need to hold the gate and buy time for the townspeople to get away. We have…” Alicia glanced around the group, and though her eyes stopped on Jane for a moment, they moved on. “Nine. If we’re careful, we should be able to handle the footsoldiers,” she hesitated, just for an instant, then raised a fist. “Let’s do this for Bruhl, everyone!”

A ragged cheer went off, only to be instantly cut off by the sharp retort of a gun going off.

“Here they come!”

“Defensive positions!” shouted Noce.

Jane found herself ducking behind the sandbags next to Alicia, raising the rifle and looking down the sights.

Several Imperial soldiers were moving down the street, the rumbling mechanical squeaking of a tank’s treads not far behind.

Jane’s jaw tightened as she regarded that pale grey armour, those heavy-duty helmets, the sleek and polished weapons…

Face to face, or near enough, now. Not an artillery shell from nowhere, an unseen threat that could not be defended against or stopped. They were here, they were tangible.

And the sight stoked embers of grief and anguish into white hot rage.

“Get ready to die, Imps,” Jane snarled under her breath, and pulled the trigger.

The recoil jerked the butt of the rifle back into her shoulder, but the brief burst of pain was nothing compared to the surge of satisfaction she felt as her bullet caught an Imperial high in the chest and sent him crashing to the ground.

“Nice shot!” called Alicia, firing off a round of her own. “Let’s keep it up!”

For a few seconds, Jane and the others managed to keep up a consistent volley of fire, forcing the Imperials to dive for cover or get ripped to pieces. However, as reloads were required, as the shooting became more ragged, the Imperials began returning fire, and their soldiers were better equipped than a gaggle of watchmen.

Fully automatic gunfire tore across their lines. Jane ducked behind the sandbags, but still felt the impact of the bullets burying themselves in the scant sanctuary offered by the barrier.

One of her fellows was slower to dodge. There was a horrible, hollow noise, followed by desperate gurgling. The man collapsed, clutching his throat as gouts of blood poured between his fingers, choking and gasping to breathe through the hole that had been blasted through his windpipe.

“No!” there was a flurry of motion from nearby. Another of the watchmen broke cover from across the street, dashing towards his dying comrade.

“Francis! You can’t-“ Noce barely had time to shout out the warning before a brutal crossfire intercepted the running man. He spun once, then fell onto the cobbles with a thud, motionless.

“Hold position! Hold position!” Alicia yelled, voice rising an octave. “Everybody stay calm!”

Jane lined up the sights of her gun again and snapped off another shot. An Imperial hurriedly ducked back behind some debris. She scowled, hunted for another target, fired again. A soldier went down, hands clasped to their knee.

Not good enough.

Jane couldn’t remember the last time she’d been this angry. No, anger was too weak a word. She was furious, the flames of her rage building up within into an all-consuming inferno, overflowing into her weapon, as if every bullet was propelled by sheer force of will.

How dare they? How dare they? What gave them the right to attack her town, kill her friends, destroy the dearest thing to her heart? Jane had poured heart and soul into that store for almost a decade, and now it was rubble because some Imp bastard pushed a button.

The mechanical noises grew louder, and trundling into view was a twenty-five ton, ragnite-fuelled armoured vehicle. The Imperials’ tank.

“Well. That’s bad,” murmured Noce.

There was a thoom. Jane squeezed shut her eyes, expecting the shell to come crashing against their defences.

Wood splintered as an explosion resounded across the street.

Jane looked around. The tank was targeting the gate, had just blown a hole right through the doors.

“They’re going to roll right over us!” the surviving watchmen were wavering.

“If we move, the townspeople will die!” snapped Alicia. “Stay strong!”

“I… yes Miss Melchiott!”

“On my mark…” called Noce. “FIRE!”

They resumed firing upon the Imperial soldiers, though the longer this went on, the more Jane’s reservations grew. Keeping the foot soldiers at bay was doable, but their gunfire simply plinked off the tank’s armour, and it was only a matter of time before it turned its attention from the gate to them-

“GET DOWN!” Noce roared as the tank’s turret turned.

Thoom.

The barricaded position across the road – along with the three men defending it – went up in smoke and flames.

“Alicia! We- we have to fall back! We’ve done as much as we can!” Noce’s composure had cracked.

Alicia looked pained, but then after a moment, nodded.

Then, another sound.

Jane’s heart stopped.

More tank treads.

They had another one?

There had to be some way to stop the thing, delay it, buy them some time…

“Alicia, grenade,” Jane murmured.

“You can’t take on a tank with grenades, Jane!” Noce broke in. “That’s suicide!”

“Don’t need to destroy it. Just need to slow it down. I’m going after the treads.”

Alicia exchanged glances with Noce, and without a word, she passed a pair of grenades across. Jane nodded.

And took a deep breath.

Vaulting over the sandbags, Jane moved at a dead sprint towards the tank, straining every fibre to move as quickly as possible, to get close before the machine-gun operator noticed what she was doing.

Not enough, though, not fast enough. Dammit, dammit. They were going to win, they were going to beat her, and she couldn’t let that happen, not before she showed them just a fraction of the pain they’d inflicted upon her.

The gun swivelled towards her, priming to fire-

And the entire tank exploded.

Jane skidded to a halt, jaw dropping. What the- what just happened!?

“TANK! IT’S A GALLIAN TANK!”

A… what?

Bulldozing through the wreckage came a tank painted in blue. Gallian army colours. As it drew to a halt, the hatch popped open, revealing a young man who certainly wasn’t attired for combat – jacket and shirt, though he was wearing a radio headset.

“Welkin!” Alicia came dashing up behind Jane. “You have a tank?”

“It’s the Edelweiss! It belonged to my father.”

“Well, you sure saved us, Welkin.”

“Sorry I couldn’t get here sooner.”

The conversation faded away into a dull buzz.

Jane’s shoulders slumped, her anger burnt out. No, not just her anger. She felt charred, scorched into nothingness.

Maybe she would have chosen to leave Bruhl of her own volition, but now? Now she was being forced out. Now she was departing because there wasn’t anything left for her here.

“I’ll kill them,” she whispered.

“I’ll kill every last one of those fucking Imps.”

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

June 19th, 2015, 3:23 am #39

Forgot to post this when I first finished it.

Merely Blood, Not Magic
wrote:
Dragon Age II fanfic. Now complete.

Genre: Angst, Hurt/comfort, Mental Health

Rating: M (graphic blood, dark themes)

Warnings: Blood, Self-harm, Depression, Alcoholism, Mental Health

Pairing: None.

Word Count: 7,463

Summary: From a prompt on the DA Kink Meme: It’s been a year since Hawke became champion of Kirkwall, and she’s struggling, seemingly unable to drag herself clear of a creeping black depression. One evening, she finds momentary relief in a self-destructive path, and devoid of any other means to cope, turns increasingly to self-harming to stave off the bleak numbness. When this is discovered, however, assumptions are made; what motives could a mage have for drawing their own blood than forbidden magic? The burning question becomes - Is Hawke a blood mage?

Huge TWs for mental health, self harming behaviour (cutting), and general depression throughout.

If there is anything you would like me to tag as a TW that I haven’t already, please tell me.

Linky

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

September 17th, 2015, 1:43 pm #40

mor durgan age
wrote:Changing My Reflection: DA:I Fanfic
Genre: Gen, with a little romance.

Rating: Teen.

Warnings: Gender dysphoria.

Pairing: F/F (Lavellan/Josephine).

Summary: Lavellan has long had issues with her body, issues she’s been forced to accept and cope with as best she can. The Black Emporium offers a solution she barely dares to hope for.

On AO3: http://archiveofourown.org/works/4813817

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

September 28th, 2015, 1:32 pm #41

'Don't Sleep in the Shadows (Or the Common Room)'

As part of my drive to do more regular writing, I’ve decided to work on some shorter pieces. This has apparently coalesced into a college AU. I don’t know how.

Genre: AU, but fluffy.

Rating: General!

Warnings: Does ‘college AU’ qualify as a warning? If so, yes. College AU

Pairing: Nope!

Summary: Gobbet catches Duncan sleeping and ropes Is0bel into an ill-advised scheme.

Linky: http://archiveofourown.org/works/4890103

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

December 13th, 2015, 2:17 pm #42

Haven't updated in a little while. Have some spam.

wrote:Shoulda Used a Password: Shadowrun College AU

Genre: AU, but fluffy.

Warnings: Does ‘college AU’ qualify as a warning? If so, yes. College AU

Summary: Gobbet struggles with The Essay of Doom, and searching for a way of procrastinating, happens upon some personal property.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4899919

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

December 13th, 2015, 2:17 pm #43

wrote:Panic! At the Dorm Room: Shadowrun College AU

Genre: AU, still fluffy.

Warnings: COLLEGE AU MAYDAY.

Summary: Gobbet really ought to stop playing loud music late at night.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4935961

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

December 13th, 2015, 2:17 pm #44

wrote:A Mouse’s Courage: Shadowrun College AU

Genre: AU, slightly angsty.

Rating: Teen for swears

Warnings: College AU this is not a drill

Pairing: Duncan Wu & Female Main Character (platonic)

Summary: After a phonecall from home goes awry, Duncan gets some answers he wasn’t sure he wanted.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4975294

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

December 13th, 2015, 2:18 pm #45

wrote:A Mouse’s Hangover: Shadowrun College AU

Genre: AU

Rating: Gen

Warnings: Code C for College

Pairing: Monika Schäfer /Female Dragonfall Protagonist

Summary: Jenny isn’t sure what happened last night, nor how she wound up sleeping on a stranger’s couch, but maybe she can make some friends out of it. (Follows from A Mouse’s Courage)

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5025892

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler