Namira
Mr. Danya

November 5th, 2010, 10:09 pm #16

Wrote this ages ago and it's in some annnnnncient thread.

So I thought I'd bring it back to put here. ^^

SOTF: Full Life Consequences
[+] Spoiler
Jimmy Dodd who was Adam Dodd's brother was one day on an island hacking with computer. He then got an email saying that terrorists and students were attacking his place, and aksed him for help. So he went!
Jimmy Dodd got his computer shut down and wet to the airport where he left his helicopter and normal people close because he was in his hockey gear.
Jimmy Dodd got in his helicopet and said "its time for me to live up to my family name and face FULL LIFE CONSEQUENCES!"
Jimmy Dodd ramped onto airplan and did a backflip and landed on other island where Adam Dodd was but Jimmy Dodd did not know where. Jimmy Dodd kept driving on road and looking around and made sure there was no terrorists around because he ddin't have wepon.

The junglesides were nice and the plants wre singing and the birds and the sun was almost down from the top of the sky. The mood was set for Jimmy Dodd to help his brother where he was.

Jimmy Dodd looked around at the junglesides and said' its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother defeated the enmies!' and he went.

Jimmy Dodd was late and had to drive really fast. A cop car was hiden near by so when Jimmy Dodd went past the cops came out and wanted to give him a tickey. Here Jimmy Dodd saw rthe first enemy because the officer was diguiused and was terrorists!

"I cant give you my lisense officer" Jimmy Dodd said

"Why not?" said the terrorist officer back to Jimmy Dodd.

'BECAUSE HYO ARE DANYA TERRORIST' and Jimmy Dodd shot the officef in the head then drovbe off thinking 'my brother is in trouble there'

Jimmy Dodd had to go fatser like the speed of sound and got there fast because Adam Dodd needed him where he was. Jimmy Dodd looked at roadsings that said 'Looktou tower' and underneath writnign that said 'u shudnt' come here'

So Jimmy dOdd almost turned around but then he herd screaming liem adam sso jhe went faster again.

Jimmy Dodd drove in and did another flip and jumppd off of his hleipcter and it took out some terrorists in front of Jimmy Dodd. Jimmy Dodd smiled and walked fast. Jimmy Dodd then looked down to the ground adn ssaw weapon so pickd it up and fired fast at crazy blood boys. In front of a house.

Jim,my Dodd said 'crazy blood boy leave this place!'

and the blood boy said 'But this is our house!' and Jimmy Dodd felt sad for them because they couldn't live there any more because they were Blood boy.

So Jimmy Dodd blew up the house and kileld the blood boys so they were at pieces.

Then Jimmy Dodd heard another scream from Adam Dodd so he kept walking rleally faster to get where he was.

Looktou tower was nothing like the junglesides there was no beards singing and the pants were dead and the dirts was all messy and bloody from terrorisats.

When Jimmy Dodd got to wheren the screaminfg was starting he foud n his brother Adam Dodd fighting the final Danya and Adam said 'Jimmy Dodd over here!

sp Jimmy Dodd went there to where Adam Dodd was fighitng Jimmy Dodd fired bullet from teh gun really fgast and the bullests went and shot the ginal Danya in the eye and the final Danya couldn't see.

Adam Dodd said 'its time to end this ones and for all!' and punched the Mr. Danya in teh face and the final Dnaya fell.

Jimmy Dodd said 'Thanks I could help bro' and Adam Dodd said 'Come here earlier next time' and they laughed

The laughed overed qucliy though bewcause Jiummy Dodd yelled 'look out bro!' and poited up to the top of the sky!

Adam Dodd liooked up and yelled 'NO! Jiummy Dodd get out of here ans fast as you can!'

and Jimmy Dodd walked real fasdt out

Jimmy Dodd loked back and saw Adam Dodd get steped pn by the next Mr. Danay amd je was sad and angry!

'I'll get your back eivl Danya!' Jimmy Dodd yelled at top of lungs!

to be continu-*shot*

SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!
[+] Spoiler
13:58 Gianni Oh come on you broke someone's heart
13:59 Gianni you are proud, not embarrassed
13:59 Christian Yes
13:59 Christian Be proud
13:59 Christian Do we not all strive to break a human soul?
[+] Spoiler
Vincenzo/a 'Vinny' 'Enzo' Gatti | DO IT FOR THE VINE.
Toby 'Noodle' Andreasson | :|
[+] Spoiler
G008 - Kammy So'oialo | wants a new script
G062 - Becca Everett | was a damn superstar
G071 - Sunshine Cho Lee | trusted
[+] Spoiler
G026 - Rosalia Fiametta | Found it. | Walkie Talkies
G014 - Yelizaveta 'Bounce' Volkova | Out of here | Gasoline
B060 - Brock Mason | Thump. Thump |
G029 - Kristina 'Kris' Hartmann | Put Down. | Drama Bombs [∞], M79 Grenade Launcher [x6 grenades]
G117 - Jessie Anderson | Still Smiling | Faith

Namira
Mr. Danya

July 29th, 2011, 6:02 pm #17

This is basically the 'teaser' for a 'Diary' - a project based around the TEW wrestling text simulator where you basically report the events of each show. I've been having a lot of fun coming up with the story so far.

For context, the following pictures are members of the 'Stone' family, a Canadian-based wrestling family somewhat reminiscent of the Harts. To continue that analogy, Edd Stone = Teddy Hart if Teddy were less of a douche.

Left to right: Dan Stone, Dan Stone Jr, Jeremy Stone, Sean McFly (Victoria's husband), Victoria Stone, Duane Stone. Dan Stone is the patriarch.
December 31st, 2009.

--

...“I don’t wish to bring business into family time, but with Jeremy busy with the House, Victoria spending so much time on the booking job and Duane away in Japan, I’m unlikely to get another opportunity to bring all of you together,” Dan Sr. pauses, probably for gravitas. “To cut straight to the point, I’m considering retirement. I feel that it’s about time I handed over the reins and enjoyed some time away from the business. I don’t intend for this to be immediate, but I’ll be looking to step down at some point over the next year.”

--

...“Not that I’m much of a businessman, so I doubt I’d be first choice anyway, but I’m committed to Burning Hammer right now."

--

“Well, you know that I’d love to take over, Dad. I know the ropes, and if you’ll have me, then I know that I’ll do a great job,” Dan Jr. pauses just a moment too long. “Of course, I wouldn’t want to muscle in on Vicky and Jeremy, if they’d like the job.”

--

“I’d rather concentrate on the House. As you know, we’re pretty much self-sufficient there. I don’t think I could handle wrestling, teaching, balancing the House’s books and running the company."

--

“Actually Dad, I was intending to tell you that I’m thinking of stepping down as head booker. I’d like to spend some more time with Sean and Lucy."

--

Dan Jr. grins triumphantly. “I won’t let you down, Dad,”

--

Dan Sr. reclines in his seat once again, sweeping his assembled family with a pleased look. “I’m glad that went so smoothly. Thank you everyone. It’s decided, Dan will be my successo-“

“Aren’t y’all forgetting somebody!?”

--

NOTBPW: The Prodigal Stone

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
G029 - Kristina 'Kris' Hartmann | Put Down. | Drama Bombs [∞], M79 Grenade Launcher [x6 grenades]

Namira
Mr. Danya

September 14th, 2011, 1:56 pm #18

Totally forgot about this. Feel free to comment if you'd like.

[+] Spoiler
Stone Family Residence.
December 31st, 2009
8:30 PM.

The Stone clan sit in the dining room of their patriarch, chatting amongst themselves. The atmosphere is pleasant, festive. For one night, they are free of the arduous strain of the wrestling business, and are amongst family in a fashion that doesn’t involve suplexes and submission holds. Victoria leans against her husband, Sean’s arm wrapped around her back. Jeremy chats with Duane – back from Japan for a short while, his Burning Hammer commitments on hold. Jeremy’s wife gossips with Dan Jr’s, catching up with one another. Dan Stone himself reclines in his chair and oversees the whole scene, content. He looks over his shoulder as into the room walks Dan Jr., a slight smile on his face.

“Kids are in bed,” Dan Jr. announces. “Davey grumbled a bit about having to sleep at the same time as Luce, since he’s ‘Sooooo much older’ and everything, but I settled him down. Eventually.”

Dan Jr. goes and sits by Sean and Victoria, and then Dan Stone suddenly sits up, donning his serious face. Catching sight of this, Jeremy and Duane both quieten. Nobody interrupts Dan Sr. when he’s wearing that expression.

“I don’t wish to bring business into family time, but with Jeremy busy with the House, Victoria spending so much time on the booking job and Duane away in Japan, I’m unlikely to get another opportunity to bring all of you together,” Dan Sr. pauses, probably for gravitas. “To cut straight to the point, I’m considering retirement. I feel that it’s about time I handed over the reins and enjoyed some time away from the business. I don’t intend for this to be immediate, but I’ll be looking to step down at some point over the next year.”

Dan Jr. smiles. “Nobody deserves it more than you, dad.”

There’s unanimous agreement around the table, Dan Sr. steeples his fingers.

“Of course, that means I will need to be picking a successor. I think that any one of you could do a fine job of running the company after I retire.”

Sean is first to speak. “With respect sir, I couldn’t possibly step into your shoes. This company needs a Stone at the helm, and if I might be a little selfish, I have an injury to rehab from,” Sean touches his head gingerly. He is still suffering from the effects of a severe concussion he endured a couple of months ago. The doctors are predicting it will be more than a year before he returns to action.

Dan Sr. nods. “I consider you family Sean, but I understand, especially since you’re hurt.”

Duane shifts a little in his seat. “Not that I’m much of a businessman, so I doubt I’d be first choice anyway, but I’m committed to Burning Hammer right now. I’d love to come home, but I’m really enjoying it out there and well…” Duane actually blushes a little. “I’m seeing somebody.”

After the pre-requisite gushing and teasing from the rest of the Stone clan, the room settles back down. Dan Sr. is smiling.

“You’re doing great in Japan son. I’d never force you to take charge, especially when you’re under contract,” perhaps as an act of mercy, he has nothing further to add.

Dan Jr. “Well, you know that I’d love to take over, Dad. I know the ropes, and if you’ll have me, then I know that I’ll do a great job,” he pauses for just a moment too long. “Of course, I wouldn’t want to muscle in on Vicky and Jeremy, if they’d like the job.”

Jeremy thinks for a second, and then shakes his head. “I’d rather concentrate on the House. As you know, we’re pretty much self-sufficient there. I don’t think I could handle wrestling, teaching, balancing the House’s books and running the company. Besides, if Dan wants it, that’s fine by me. I don’t want to have to drop the House, so if I’ve got the choice not to…”

“I wouldn’t tear you away from your beloved House, Jeremy,” Dan Sr.’s tone is just a little teasing. “If Dan wants to run the company, and you’d rather stick to the dojo, then that works just fine,” Dan Sr. glances to Victoria. “Unless you feel you could handle the ownership and the book, Victoria."

“Actually Dad, I was intending to tell you that I’m thinking of stepping down as head booker. I’d like to spend some more time with Sean and Lucy. We’re actually also considering trying for another child. So if Danny wants to take control, then I say all power to him. I can even give him a few suggestions on who to appoint in my place.”

Dan Jr. grins triumphantly. “I won’t let you down, Dad,” for an instant, the smile falters, but only for a split second. “And thanks, Vicky, we can talk about that in the New Year.”

Dan Sr. reclines in his seat once again, sweeping his assembled family with a pleased look. “I’m glad that went so smoothly. Thank you everyone. It’s decided, Dan will be my successo-“

“Aren’t y’all forgetting somebody!?”

Dead. Silence.

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

September 14th, 2011, 1:57 pm #19

There are several of these. Fair warning.
[+] Spoiler
Moments Later...

A vein is standing out on the head of Dan Sr., Dan Jr. looks furious. Everyone else just seems completely gobsmacked. Standing in the doorway is somebody that most of the Stone clan haven’t seen in almost three years. Edd Stone, with a twinkle in his eye and a broad smile on his face.

When Dan Sr. speaks, it’s through gritted teeth. “How. On earth. Did you. Get in?”

In response, Edd dangles a set of keys in his father’s face. “You kicked me out so fast that you never took ‘em off me.”

“I couldn’t have got rid of you quickly enough, Edward,” Dan Sr. snarls, placing particular emphasis on the full name that he knows very well that Edd hates.

Dan Jr.’s tone is extraordinarily hostile. “What are you doing here? Dad made it clear that you aren’t welcome.”

“Well maybe I came to see the rest of my family, Danny-boy. Last I checked, Jezza and Duane were still my brothers, and Vic was still my sister, so you can ride your high horse all the way home.”

“I am home.”

“Figure of speech, genius.”

“And you wonder why you were thrown out.”

“Because you’ve got the sense of humour of a brick?”

“Enough!” Dan Sr. barks. “Edd. Just tell us what this is about.”

Edd spreads his hands wide. “I was telling ya’ll the truth, Dad. I wanted to see the family members that don’t hate my guts. Last I checked I was on pretty-okay terms with every one of my relatives not named ‘Dan’. I meant to arrive earlier today, only Freddy got us lost on the way up here.”

“Freddy?” Jeremy stirs. “Franklin Huggins?” Edd nods. “He’s here too?”

“Yeah. He’s outside. Said that he’d leave the awkward family reunion to me,” Edd raises an eyebrow, looking at his father. “And I guess he was right about that. I walk in, and you’re giving the company to Danny without so much as a by-your-leave. You forget about little ol’ me? I’m still your son, Dad. Don’t I at least deserve a say in this, even if it’s just to tell you that I’d rather stay in America?” Edd puffs out his chest. “Heck, maybe I might want to give running the family business a shot.”

“Edd I wouldn’t trust you in charge of a bicycle, let alone a multi-million dollar company.”

“Shush Danny. I’m being indignant.”

Dan Sr. glares at Edd, but manages to keep his cool. “Edd, you are twenty-three years old. You aren’t mature enough to take over, and even if you were, you don’t even have any business experience!”

“I do so! I had an awesome lemonade stand back in the day!”

“…”

“…”

“…”

“C’mon Dad… honestly when I walked in here I couldn’t’ve cared less about inheriting the company, but ya’ll have hurt my feelings by cutting me out of the loop.”

“I would still pick Dan over you Edd.”

Sean clears his throat, obviously uncomfortable. “Why not give them both a contest? A balanced way of choosing between the two of them that will settle this without all the arguing. Perhaps… whoever can demonstrate the best knowledge of the company’s history will inherit?”

There is a general nodding of heads around the table at that, as well as some murmured agreement. Sean gives a little smile, pleased.

Dan Sr. nods sagely. “Excellent idea. Will that satisfy you, Edd?”

Edd shrugs. “Sure. At least it’s fair.”

Dan Jr. chuckles, cracking first his neck, then his knuckles. “Edd you’ve spent most of your life with your head in comic books and video games, there’s no way you can beat me in NOTBPW knowledge.”

“Probably not,” Edd admits. “That’s not really the point though, bro,” Dan Jr. snorts dismissively.

Dan Sr. looks from Edd to Dan Jr. “Okay. I will ask you… five questions. In each case, whoever gets the answer first will be awarded the point. First to three is the winner. Agreed?” Both sons nod. “Then let us begin. Question one: Who was the second graduate of the House of Stone?”

“Dann-“

“Me.”

“Point to Dan,” Dan Sr. says with a smug smirk. Edd looks irritated. Dan Jr. looks surprised that Edd even managed to answer that quickly.

“Question two: What partners has Jeremy won the tag team titles with that aren’t related to him?”

“Hm well that has to be…”

“Steve Flash and Robert Oxford.”

The entire room stares at Edd. He shrugs and smiles. Even Dan Sr. seems taken aback.

“That is one each. Question three: What was the longest Canadian title reign in the promotion’s history?”

“Two years, 40 days. Jez’s first reign,” Edd’s smile has turned into an outright grin.

“How can you possibly know that!?” Dan Sr. is starting to lose his composure now. Dan Jr.’s jaw gapes open. Duane and Victoria look as if they’re trying not to laugh.

“Ask Jezza,” Edd answers with a wink.

Deep in thought to this point, Jeremy’s eyes widen... and then he headdesks. “Oh Christ,” he moans into the table.

“…Question four: What team has held the NOTBPW tag team titles the second most times?”

“The Wood Brothers.”

There is a moment’s silence.

All the colour drains from Dan Sr.’s face.

Dan Jr. storms from the room.

Victoria buries her head in Sean’s shoulder to stem the giggling.

Jeremy pounds his head on the table again.

Duane starts howling with laughter.

Edd leans down and rubs his ankle, remembering past pains.

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

September 14th, 2011, 1:58 pm #20

[+] Spoiler
Five Minutes Later

Outside the Stone residence, a young man sits in the driver’s seat of a beat-up old Corvette, drumming a beat on the steering wheel. As the front door opens, he looks up, grinning as he sees his friend, Edd.

“The old man kick you out already, huh?”

“Actually Freddy…” Edd hops onto the bonnet of the car and squats down, causing its occupant to wince. “I’m now the heir to the Stone family business.”

Freddy stares. “That must’ve been one hell of a reconciliation. What’d you do? Discover the secret to a perfect suplex?”

“Beat Dan Jr. in a ‘NOTBPW trivia’ contest.”

Freddy pauses for a moment. “Your old man didn’t know?”

“He didn’t know,” Edd smiles as Freddy starts cracking up.

It takes a little while, but once Freddy regains his composure, he speaks again. “So what’s going on now?”

“Danny is I think murdering one of his punching bags and Duane and Vic are trying to console Dad.”

“You think he’ll go through with it?”

“Well, it was Sean’s idea, so if he backs out he’ll prolly upset him. And if Sean’s upset, Vic’ll be upset too. Duane’s sympathetic – he clashed with Dad a lot too, I think that’s one of the reasons he went to Burning Hammer, so he’ll prolly get wound up... So I dunno. Maybe, if he cares about not getting on the bad side of even more of his family. Danny’ll be pissed, but he ain’t got a leg to stand on to complain. He agreed to the contest, after all.”

“What about TCW? Gonna invoke that contract clause?”

Edd nods. “Yeah. I’ll speak to Tommy tomorrow. See if I can drop the belt first show of the new year. Don’t wanna leave him in the lurch, but I’m pretty sure this qualifies as ‘urgent commitments’. Inheriting a company? Yeah, that’s a big deal. If not? Well, I can always buy out the rest of the contract.”

“Didn’t take you for a businessman, Edd.”

Edd laughs. “I’m not, it’s just… well, I went in there meaning to try and patch things up a little with the old man, and I overhear him naming Danny as his heir and it’s just…” Edd shrugs. “The red mist came down and all the fights came flooding back. He hasn’t changed a bit, hell Duane was there, and he doesn’t even work for the company anymore. He’s making a huge decision about the business, and has all his kids there… but me.”

“So you’re just doing it to spite him?”

“Maybe. Maybe to prove I’ve grown up a little,” Edd grins. “Just a little, though. Whole thing is probably a train wreck waiting to happen. I’ll give it my best shot.”

Freddy opens the car door and then gets out, heaving a sigh. “Well… I’ll miss you, man. It’s been good, running with you and Laura the past couple of years.”

“Yeah…” There is a sombre pause, and then… a light bulb could’ve appeared over Edd’s head. “Dude… I’ll make you my booker!”

“What!?”

“I’ll make you head booker! That way we can stick together! The boys back home north of the border!”

“Whoa whoa whoa! I can’t be a booker! The last time Joel asked me to improvise Charlie wound up dressed as a clown!”

“An awesome clown.”

“Nobody else thought so!”

“C’mon Freddy, we’d make the best team!”

“But my ideas won’t fit! Joel and Tommy said I’m too ‘sports entertainment’, remember?”

“Then you’re just what these guys need. Have you seen how dull the shows are? They need some life, dude.”

“But… what about my contract?”

“You’ve got the exact same clause I do.”

“And Laura!”

“Dude she loves it in Cali!”

“But-“

“It’s Jeremy, isn’t it?”

“…Maybe.”

“Jezza’s an alright guy, Freddy-“

Freddy fixes Edd with an accusatory glare. Edd sighs.

“I’ll give him your instructions, that way you don’t have to be in the same room as him.”

“…Promise?”

“Promise.”

“Alright alright… then I guess we’ve both got some talking to do with Tommy.”

“And me my dad. Want to come inside?”

“Is he there?”

“…You can wait in the car.”

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

September 14th, 2011, 1:59 pm #21

[+] Spoiler
Just afterwards...

Edd returns inside, finding the dining room deserted apart from his father. Dan Sr. looks haggard, resigned. He’s clearly had quite the talk with his other children, perhaps had to confront one or two harsh truths. He knows he’s backed himself into a corner, and isn’t quite sure how to get out of it.

“Edd I…” Dan Sr. sighs, then gestures to one of the empty chairs. “Sit down, please.”

The youngest Stone does so, looking at his father with narrowed eyes.

“I know that… I know that we haven’t always seen eye to eye, and it was perhaps… maybe,” Dan Sr. struggles, the admission clearly difficult. “Somewhat unfair of me to exclude you from this discussion. For that, I apologise,” Dan Sr. hesitates again, obviously trying to be as diplomatic as he can. “However… surely even you can see that you wouldn’t be the best man to take this company forward? You haven’t been involved in NOTBPW affairs for years now and you’ve had little to no experience in business. …Lemonade stand or no.”

“What’s your point?” Edd himself can’t quite hide the hostility from his tone.

“What I am trying to say is that rash words were spoken, I was perhaps a little too hasty. But… you just aren’t suited to succeed me.”

Edd snorts. “Want a shovel for that hole you’re digging, Dad? Happens you’re probably right-“

“So you’ll allow Dan to-“

“Let me finish Dad! You never let me finish!” the flash of anger across Edd’s face is a reminder of past arguments, years of yelling at one another for entire nights. Dan Sr. shuts his mouth. “Thanks. Yeah, Danny would probably be better at the job than me, but you’re completely missing the point; which is that you didn’t freaking TELL me about all of this! Jeez Dad if you’d even called me to ask, I would’ve been perfectly happy to let ya’ll keep doing what you’re doing up here and supported whoever you picked to take over. Well… more likely I prolly would’ve said something about not caring and that you could do whatever you want, but it’s the thought that would’ve counted. But what did you do? You shut me out; you pretended I don’t even exist. So in short? No, I ain’t letting Danny have it, not after I beat him.”

Dan Sr. looks like he is in physical pain. “But the company…”

Calming a little, Edd’s balled fists are still white-knuckled. “Y’know, you could always make the best of it and… oh I dunno, try and help me run things. Just a suggestion.”

Hesitation.

“Look Dad, nothing says you’ve gotta retire next month, does it?”

“…I suppose. I will… try to guide you a little.” There is a pause, Edd waits expectantly as Dan Sr. shifts in his chair, then looks over at his son. “I don’t suppose you’d consider allowing Dan to take the book…?”

Edd folds his arms. “Nope.”

Dan Sr.’s shoulders slump. “You have someone in mind, then?”

Edd nods.

Still sitting outside, Freddy Huggins looks up at the sound of an audible facepalm.

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

September 14th, 2011, 2:00 pm #22

Annnd that's enough wrestling for now.
[+] Spoiler
Five Minutes Later...

Head still ringing from the facepalm, Dan Stone Sr. looks from his youngest son, to Edd’s companion, then back again.

“Edd,” he says after a considerable pause. “Please tell me that this is a joke.”

Edd quirks an eyebrow and says nothing.

Dan Sr. lets out a very, very long sigh.

“Well gee. I’ve got to say that I’m thrilled by your show of support, Mr Stone,” Freddy Huggins shoots Dan Sr. a scowl.

“To be perfectly honest, Franklin, I was hoping Edd might choose somebody with a little more experience than one of his… “frat boys”,” Dan Sr. actually does air quotes. He could well have been dismissing a claim.

Edd laughs. “You totally called that one, Freddy,” they fist bump, and Freddy makes an explosion noise. Dan Sr. is less than amused.

“I will not have you two running this company like your own personal playground!”

Freddy hesitates a second, his expression sobering. “Mr Stone, we’re not doing this so we can wreck NOTBPW. See, if Edd ran the business into the ground, that would kind of prove the point that you made in the first place, wouldn’t it? Nope…” Freddy smirks. “Edd will get to gloat a lot more if he does the job right

“And that starts by naming a man with no experience whatsoever to the booking position?”

A roll of the eyes. “With all due respect, Mr Stone, Edd is my best friend. We trained together, in America we teamed together. We’re on the same wavelength, we think in the same way.”

Edd chimes in. “Freddy is somebody I know I can count on Dad – somebody that I don’t need to worry about babysitting, ‘cause we’re both on the same page. I don’t have to think about whether he’s gonna be running things how I want, or if he’s gonna undermine me, ‘cause he’s my bro. S’more than I could say for some of the other people y’all might suggest.”

Edd quite pointedly leaves it unspoken whether he’s referring to the undermining or the brotherhood. Maybe both. Probably both.

Dan Sr. sighs. “I see I’m not going to change your mind – as if I ever could. I can’t say that I think that this is the wisest thing to do, but my hands are tied, aren’t they?”

Both of the others nod.

“Fine then, Franklin takes the book,” Edd and Freddy start to whoop, but Dan Sr. cuts them off with a sharply raised hand. “But… I haven’t retired yet. I expect to be kept appraised of your creative direction and signings."

“You’ve got it, boss.”

Dan Sr. rolls his eyes, and moments later a voice calls from the next room.

“If it’s decided, I have one or two things I’d like to talk to the future management about.”

What Actually Happens:

“Hey there Franklin. It’s been a while, hasn’t it? When you’ve got some more time, we should discuss a couple of guys who I think will be ready to graduate to the full roster sometime soon.”

Jeremy holds his hand out for a shake.

What Freddy Sees and Hears:

This, particularly the intro.

This

And this.

”I will snap EVERY BONE IN YOUR BODY.”

Freddy stands there, paralysed. Jeremy and Dan Sr. give him extremely confused looks. Edd coughs awkwardly and shuffles his feet, then gingerly takes a transfixed Freddy’s hand and puts it in Jeremy’s outstretched palm.

The reaction is instantaneous.

“AAHHHH PLEASE NO I LIKE MY ARM IN ONE PIECE I PROMISE I LEARNED THE ARMBARS!”

Freddy somehow lets that out in one huge burst, wrenches his hand out of Jeremy’s grip and runs screaming from the room.

“…”

“…”

Edd stares after him, and then turns to his father and brother.

“There’s uh… there’s probably something I should tell you about Freddy.”

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

January 21st, 2015, 2:33 am #23

*blows the dust off*

Wow. This is pretty freaking old.

Anyway I'm a dork and wanted to write some Dragon Age stuff, so I went ahead and did a bit of fanfic based off prompts. (and might proceed to do a decent bit more).

Some modest spoilers for the first third of dragon age inquisition.

Leadership

---

“How long could they possibly keep this up?”

“Not long enough.”

Another day, hearing that from Cassandra may have seen Ashlynn Trevelyan’s mouth twitch into a wry smile. Not today.

Capturing Griffon Wing Keep had seemed like an excellent idea to begin with. The Venatori were deeply dug into the Western Approach; seizing their biggest stronghold would go a long way to loosening that grip, as well as give the Inquisition a foothold of their own. A swift and decisive strike, advancing in force would mean that other Venatori in the area wouldn’t have the opportunity to respond. Ashlynn had given the order and the troops had moved in.

The plan of attack hadn’t accounted for prisoners, a missing patrol that had turned out to be not so missing when the Venatori took the assault as a cue to slaughter all of them. They’d been left there to rot right in the middle of the courtyard, even as the Inquisition’s forces battled their way past the cultists, seizing the keep inch by bloody inch. The Venatori were losing ground, but the Inquisition were losing men; Ash drew a lot of attention as a commanding officer, but the cultists had plenty of other targets to pick from.

Could Ash have taken Leliana’s advice of sending in infiltrators instead? The keep wasn’t in good repair, the walls were scalable. Ash would even have been able to lead the attack herself; sneaking through the shadows with soft step and hidden blade were exactly what she’d been working on. She’d rejected the plan as being too risky, too likely to result in the saboteurs being cut off, and yet…

“If we’re waiting for them to die from anticipation, Princess, I think we might be here a while.”

Ashlynn blinked, snapping back to the here and now. Right. In the middle of a battle. Men with swords and bows and magic trying to kill her. On the retreat for now, but Varric was right, they needed to see this done.

“Could you imagine them trying to report that to Corypheus? ‘Sorry elder one, our commander was so anxious that he just keeled right over’.”

Varric chuckled and Ash stepped forward, eyeing the last flight of stairs to the top of the keep. The last of the Venatori were there, and they’d fight all the fiercer for having no retreat.

“All right everyone, one last push. Let’s make these Venatori regret coming here for more than just the bloody sand!”

The gathered soldiers let out a roar and, daggers in hand, Cassandra at her side, Ashlynn advanced up the stairs. There was the threshold, she could see the remnants of the Venatori gathered beyond.

“I am ready to serve Inquisitor! For the elder one!”

At the front, a staff-wielding mage unleashed fire from his hand. Ash prepared to dive aside, and then found herself enveloped by a clear blue barrier. The fireball impacted the shield and broke against it, the flames licking inches from her face without heat.

“Now that’s rather a rude way to introduce oneself, wouldn’t you say?”

And now Ash did dive, a smooth forward leap that took her to within inches of the Venatori leader. A blade flashed out, and then he was down, choking blood. Another shift, another step of her momentum, and then her second knife was buried in a chest. Twist, a pirouette that would have not gone amiss in an Orlesian ballroom, and a third Venatori was screaming.

“Why thank you Dorian, I do so appreciate you saving my life so that I can stab more people in the face. You’re quite welcome Inquisitor, I live to facilitate your proclivity for viciously murdering my countrymen.”

Ashlynn tuned him out, lost in a deadly cadence, focusing only on where next she could move, where next a dagger could be slid between vulnerable gaps in armour. Always one step ahead, always thinking where things would be, not where they were-

“Inquisitor, look out!”

Something- no, somebody barrelled into her from behind, hard enough to take Ash off her feet. She hit the ground with a thump, and a moment later, the wind was driven out of her as someone came down on top of her with all the weight of full armour.

Ash twisted as best she could. She wasn’t moving. Stillness was death. But she needed this off of her before she could-

She was staring right into the face of an Inquisition soldier. It was blank, eyes wide, mouth still open from calling out the warning. He couldn’t have been more than twenty. Ashlynn looked up, and looming above was a cultist, bloodied sword in hand.

“For the elder –“ the cry was cut off with an abrupt thunk, the tip of a crossbow bolt bursting through the Venatori’s chest. “…Oh,” he collapsed.

Beyond was Varric. He lowered Bianca and tipped an imaginary hat to her before walking over, offering Ash his hand. “You alright there, Princess? Looks like the keep’s ours now.”

Ashlynn hesitated a moment before nodding, taking the hand and being pulled to her feet. She glanced down at the dead soldier. His back was soaked with blood. From what she could tell, the blade had taken him right between the shoulder blades. Varric noticed her looking. “Saw the kid tackle you down,” he let out a sigh. “Shit.”

“Blessed are the righteous, the lights in the shadow,” Ash murmured quietly. She looked up again. “Good work, Varric. You too, Dorian. You’re my favourite person to turn to when I need help cutting throats,” Ashlynn fixed her gaze on the tall flagpole above the keep’s battlements. “Cassandra, give me a hand here. Let’s raise our flag.”

That slight grin was back on her face.

Make sure you always smile, Ashlynn. You can’t have anyone thinking that you lack for confidence!

--

“All men are the work of our Maker’s hands, from the lowest slaves to the highest kings.
Those who bring harm without provocation-“

There was a knock at the door. Ashlynn opened her eyes. Skyhold had a number of areas dedicated to devotions; the gardens had developed into what was very nearly a chantry in its own right. Ash kept away from those. Her prayers were between her and the Maker, and she chose to take them in what was effectively a repurposed storeroom tucked alongside the stables.

She waited a few seconds. She wanted, a great deal, to tell whoever was there to leave her the hell alone.

Instead she sighed softly and spoke. “Yes?”

The door opened and a hooded figure entered. Leliana. “I’m sorry for the interruption, but we have some fresh reports from Griffon Wing that need to be discussed. We’ll be in the war room when you have a moment.”

Ashlynn rose to her feet. It never ended. “I find myself with an excess of moments. Let’s go.”

The faintest trace of a smile touched Leliana’s face and Ash followed her out of the room, carefully shutting the door behind her. Skyhold always seemed to be crisp and bright, and today was no exception, sun shining overhead, but the mountain air dulling the warmth. The Inquisition bustled about them as they crossed the courtyard, merchants and farmers, soldiers and craftsmen. They truly came from all walks of life, and they all looked up to Ashlynn as their leader.

Odd, really, how it turned out this way. Ash was something like sixth in line to inherit the Bannorn from her parents, and she’d been brought up with that fact made very clear. Yet for all that, she’d wound up being in charge of something big, something important. More important than any title Ashlynn cared to think of, excepting perhaps King or Divine.

Now that she had all the responsibility of being Inquisitor, however…

The pair passed Varric in Skyhold’s grand hall, sharing a nod and a smile. Ash eyed the chair occupying centre stage. So many decisions made there, for better or for worse. A left turn, beyond Josephine’s antechamber, and then the next door was open. The war table lay within, looming ominously.

Leliana broke off from Ashlynn’s side to circle around the opposite side of the table. The other two advisors were already there; Josephine with her writing board, quill poised at the ready, Cullen as formal and battle-ready as always. Maker’s Breath, if Ash didn’t know better she’d say that the man slept in his armour.

“Lady Trevelyan.”
“Inquisitor.”

“All right, what new world-threatening crises have the nobility come up with to distract us from the actual world-threatening crisis?”

“Your cousin Reginald is petitioning us once again-“

Ash cut Josephine off. “The answer is still no. I don’t care about the goodwill, we are not sending a cartful of wine to his lady friend’s birthday party.”

“I have a few reports of some straggling undead harassing merchants in Crestwood.”

“Is that Chevalier still hanging around complaining?”

“Ser Augard remains… vocal about how little action he has seen since joining us,” Leliana supplied.

“Send him and his men-at-arms. He won’t stop complaining, but at least it will be out of our earshot. Either he’ll get fed up and finally go home or he’ll pull his weight for once. Win-win.”

It went on like that for a time, and Ashlynn began to tune out. She’d never thought that these types of decisions were ones that she would one day begin to make automatically. Troop movements, spies, diplomacy, they were like learning by rote.

She’d treated Griffon Wing like that though, hadn’t she? Acted like it was just another day out in the field, just another engagement. She was so… used to giving orders to the troops while barely even considering the realities of what the men faced on the ground. The amount of times that Ash could have been killed were it not for the experienced and dedicated people at her back, the number of times she’d returned the favour to them. Her troops weren’t lucky enough to have a Cassandra or a Blackwall protecting their flank.

Ashlynn read the butcher’s bill for each operation, of course she did. She saw the wounded come back, knew that some of them would never recover and that even if they did, they might never be the same. She cared, or at least, she thought she did. Didn’t she give the orders regardless, knowing that it would mean casualties amongst her people?

“Inquisitor, look out!”

“Inquisitor?”

All three of Ash’s advisors were looking at her expectantly. “I … can Ser Barris handle it?”

They exchanged glances. Cullen cleared his throat. “Ah… Ser Barris is occupied in Fereldan at present. Tracking demons near Redcliffe, if you recall.”

“I’m also unsure that apostate mages would react very well to a templar hosting negotiations between them and, well, templars,” Josephine added dubiously.

Ash rubbed her head sheepishly. “I must have misheard. How about Sky Watcher? I can’t see him tolerating any nonsense between them.”

“Unconventional… but these mages have been blustering a lot. An Avaar may convince them to see reason. Very well,” Josephine wrote something with a flourish onto her board. “I’ll make the necessary arrangements.”

“One final matter; we have a situation developing in the western approach.”

That caught Ashlynn’s attention immediately. “Go on.”

“The Venatori know that we’ve broken their ciphers,” said Leliana gravely. “My spies have intercepted two messages. One claims to be mustering an attack on Griffon Wing Keep. The other speaks of a planned raid on a pair of our camps. Each claims the other attack is a feint.”

“And we don’t have enough men to defend both. If we reinforce one target and the Venatori hit the other in numbers, they won’t be able to hold it.”

Ashlynn swallowed. Josephine raised her quill. “We could order a withdrawal. I have a few contacts who could-“

“Out of the question,” Cullen shook his head. “We’d be giving up everything in the approach! Our soldiers know the risks.”

“Are there any other options?” Ash’s voice was hardly above a murmur. On paper it was a simple choice between one thing or the other. In reality, getting this wrong would result in the deaths of dozens of good, loyal soldiers.

“We do have a nearby caravan,” Leliana said after a moment. “Soldiers are escorting a materials shipment and returning some of our wounded, along with that scholar Frederic. If we diverted them back, I believe we’d be able to protect against the real attack, wherever it came.”

“And leave our injured completely defenceless.”

“The Inquisitor asked for options. I did not claim they would be pleasant ones.”

The three looked back to Ash. “It’s your call, Inquisitor. How are we to proceed?”

“I … I don’t know.”

Death on the one hand, death on the other. The only way to guarantee the strategic objectives were held? Sell out their wounded. When was the last time an Inquisition convoy went unmolested its entire journey? Too long. Too long.

Cullen’s brow furrowed. “Inquisitor, are you-“

“I said I don’t know!” the words burst out, and it was only after they were out that Ashlynn realised that she had shouted them.

Her hand trembled. Her breathing was rapid, ragged. Ash’s eyes flickered from face to face; Josephine alarmed, Leliana unsure, Cullen concerned. She couldn’t handle it, couldn’t handle them.

Ash twisted and all but fled for the door. Someone called out to her but she was already gone. Anywhere but here.

--

She was on the battlements when Cullen found her, sitting cross legged alongside a trapdoor up to the roof. A hand rested gently on her shoulder. She didn’t look up.

“Talk to me, Ashlynn.”

“Fine weather we’re having today,” she remarked listlessly.

There was a long moment of silence. If it wasn’t for Cullen’s hand, Ash might have thought that he had left. Then, a soft clinking as he sat down alongside her, knee brushing hers.

“Are you all right?”

A cynical laugh bubbled up. “Just wonderful. Never happier than when playing with lives. I like to make a game of it; see how many soldiers get to stay alive for the next round of the shitty decision party!”

“It is not your fault, Ash. We serve the Inquisition because we want to; because we know the threat Corypheus poses.”

“Do they?” Ash looked up at last. Dark eyes were wet. “They have faith in me and I repay them by sending them to their deaths. They <i>believe</i> so much that they’d sacrifice their lives for the cause. What have I done to deserve that? I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and got this Maker-cursed mark on my hand, and… I can’t do it Cullen, I can’t do this-“

His arms wrapped around her. For a second Ashlynn was motionless, and then the first sob broke free as she buried her face in his chest. Cullen rocked her gently back and forth as she trembled, her slender frame wracked by her crying.

“It’s all right,” he whispered into her ear. “I’m here. I’m here for you.”

“Cullen, it-it’s too much…”

“Ssh. Just let it out. It’s going to be okay.”

Ash’s hands linked around his waist and she drew back, just a little. “What if I can’t do it?” her voice was thick with the tears still trickling down her tricks. “I can’t even protect the troops. How am I supposed to save the entire world?”

Cullen cupped her chin, oh so very gentle, two fingers caressing her cheek. “Ashlynn, you give yourself far too little credit. You’re in charge because you were chosen, not because of the mark. They trust you – we all trust you because you earned it, and since then, you’ve proven over and over that you deserve it more than anyone else.”

“But-“

“Stop tearing yourself to pieces. You’re doing your best, and that’s more than I can say for many people. You care, Ash, and that’s why, well…”

He finished the thought with a kiss. Tender, warm. Ash closed her eyes and leaned in as close as she could. Everything else faded away into the background, just the two of them there together, without cares or worries.

It broke after what could have been years. Ashlynn’s eyes were, all of a sudden, focused as they gazed deep into Cullen’s.

“Dragon lures.”

Cullen looked like that was about the last thing he’d expected her to say. “What?”

“We still have dragon lures out in the approach,” Ash hopped to her feet, gesturing broadly. “We stopped using them as soon as we realised it would actually bring the dragon down on our heads. But if we place them near to our camps the night the Venatori plan to attack…” Ashlynn broke into a grin, and this time, it shone, it went all the way to her eyes, still a little damp. “We drop a dragon on their heads! It’ll be perfect!”

“And I thought I’d finished serving insane madwomen back in Kirkwall.”

Ashlynn paused, hatch back down the tower flung open. “Cullen?” the mirth was gone as abruptly as it had come. “Thank you. Thank you for being here.”

Cullen crossed his hand over his chest. “Always.”

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
G029 - Kristina 'Kris' Hartmann | Put Down. | Drama Bombs [&#8734;], M79 Grenade Launcher [x6 grenades]

Namira
Mr. Danya

January 24th, 2015, 4:27 am #24

Forewarning: This is really silly and goofy and was 100% intended that way.

So. Romantic

"You know, the Inquisitor spends a lot of time with Lady Josephine."

"That's because she's the political adviser for the Inquisition. Have you been at the elfroot again, Jan?"

"No no no no, just hear me out. What if the Inquisitor has a thing for our Lady diplomat?"

"A... thing."

"Yeah."

"The Inquisitor."

"Yeah!"

"The six-and-a-half foot tall qunari who could break either of us in half over her knee?"

"...Yeah."

"You're an idiot Jan. Go finish that report for Sister Nightingale."

--

"Look Baesam, I know you don't see it, but-"

"If this is going to be about the Inquisitor and Lady Josephine again, Jan, please s-"

"They were together!"

"...Define together."

"I was delivering a notice to the war table, and they were in Lady Josephine's office! The Inquisitor had her hand on Lady Josephine's shoulder! There was eye contact and everything!"

"Are you really reading romance into 'deep and meaningful' eye contact?"

"I'm telling you, love was in the air-"

"I'm telling you that you need to stop reading Swords and Shields and concentrate on the job."

"Come ooooon Baesam! Think about it; star-crossed lovers, one from the nobility of Antiva-"

"Stop."

"-one an outcast from the Qun, a mere mercenary before-"

"Stop."

"- tumultuous events bring them together, their differences not enough to diffuse the power of their love-"

"For the love of Andraste Jan, shut up!"

"What are you two talking about?"

"N-nothing sister Nightingale!"

"Hm. Get back to work."

"Yes sister Nightingale!"

--

“Come on Baesam, you know the Game, there’s no such thing as reading too much into a look.”

“You’re STILL talking about this?”

“It’s so cute though!”

A high five passes between Jan and a newcomcer.

“…you too, Alen? We are spies, not- what would sister Nightingale think if we told her we were assuming so much from so little?”

“You’re a killjoy, Baesam.”

Footsteps thump past a moment later.

“Inquisitor!”

The qunari gives a courteous nod and descends the tower, muttering darkly to herself.

“Wasn’t she just meeting with sister Nightingale?”

“I bet she was telling mistress Adaar to be careful with Lady Josephine’s affections!”

“Ooh, good one.”

“Maker give me the strength to survive the idiocy of my colleagues.”

--

“Are you certain?”

“Absolutely certain.”

Some people outside of Skyhold’s tower swear that they can hear a high pitched sound not unlike the continuous squeaking of a nug.

“Maker’s Breath Jan, are you trying to develop a new torture technique?”

“Alen saw them on the balcony!”

“Who on the what now?”

“The Inquisitor and Lady Josephine! On her balcony!”

“…Why were you watching the Inquisitor’s balcony, Alen?”

“For uh… investigative purposes. Lady Montilyet had a contract on her life quite recently, after all.”

“That has so many holes that I’m not even sure where to star-“

“A-anyway, that’s not important! They were kissing!”

“What.”

“Lady Josephine and the Inquisitor were kissing! It’s so romantic!”

“Are you telling me that your wild, hare brained theories actually turned out to be- Wait, no. I see what you’re doing. You’re both messing with me, aren’t you? Okay, okay, I admit, you had me going for a moment but… what are you both looking at?”

Baesam follows the others to the tower window. Far below in the courtyard, Adaar’s pointed horns are visible. She is also rather audible.

“Is she… singing

“So. Romantic!”

“True love!”

“If you two are quite finished giggling like children…”

“Sorry sister Nightingale!”

--

“In the middle of Val Royeaux!”

“That is the most amazing thing I have ever heard.”

“A duel! For her honour! And then when Lady Josephine asked why take such a risk, the Inquisitor said she <i>loved her</i>!”

“I lied. That is the most amazing thing I have ever heard.”

“And then they kissed! In the middle of Val Royeaux! I wish you could have been there, Alen.”

“…Okay, I’ll admit it. That sounds quite sweet.”

“YESSSSS!”

“One of us, one of us!”

“Don’t- don’t get carried away now!”

“They’re so in love. It’s a perfect romance story.”

A quiet murmur from across the room.

“One for the bards to learn.”

“Sister Nightingale?”

“I said nothing. You heard nothing. Get back to work.”

“Cutest. Thing. Ever.”

“Say, Jan… did you know that Lord Dorian has been seen with Iron Bull a couple of times recently?”

“…ohmigosh.”

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
G029 - Kristina 'Kris' Hartmann | Put Down. | Drama Bombs [&#8734;], M79 Grenade Launcher [x6 grenades]

Namira
Mr. Danya

February 12th, 2015, 3:34 pm #25

[+] Spoiler
The Inquisition has always known the Herald is a strange person, but it's no surprise that a person who'd gone through an impossible experience would behave oddly afterward. Only, it turns out that the entity they've come to know as the Herald/Inquisitor is not quite a person at all. The passage through the Fade rendered the person who was Trevelyan/Lavellan/Adaar/Cadash effectively brain-dead, and their body was occupied by a spirit of one of the more virtuous sorts (exact type up to author, but Hope and Valor come to mind). The transition was no less traumatic for the spirit, who was left with confusion and a head full of memories and no notion of their true nature.

Solas, of course, knows what the Herald is immediately, but keeps his mouth shut because he figures all that could possibly result from people knowing is all the Chantry types overreacting, leading to a dead or comatose host body, a destroyed or demonized spirit, and nobody who can close rifts. And when the Inquisitor starts to realize they may be even less normal than they thought, he encourages them to keep it quiet. Cole can also immediately detect the Inquisitor's true nature, but is far less circumspect. Eventually, it all comes out, with the exact nature of the fallout and resolution up to filler.
-

There must be a way out, there must be, must be…

It heard. It listened. Calling for it. Closer than it ever remembered a waking thought.

The summons wasn’t quite curiosity, it was… affinity. Belief drew it.

But now the thoughts were quiet. The Fade-walker that had drawn it looked, but did not see, did not move.

Could it help?

It reached out and touched.

Something tugged at the edges of its essence. It drew back, or tried to.

It couldn’t. Within was a void, and the inexorable strength of it needing to be filled overwhelmed the presence.

There was a moment of alarm, and then, like stepping from a cliff, it fell into darkness.

Everything felt… heavy. Something pressed upon her body from all sides, and it took a long moment for her mind to supply the information that it was clothes.

Bits and pieces filtered through the hazy mist that hung over her consciousness, but they came with no rhyme or direction or order. She was handy with blades. Her favourite colour was red. She’d never really liked horses. Those things that you opened to enter buildings were called doors. Sunrises were beautiful. None of it had proper meaning or sense, and none of it could take away from the pervasive sense of wrongness that she could feel. It permeated every aspect of her, from the top of her head to the tips of her… toes. They were called toes.

She could see nothing. Ten seconds passed before she realised it was because she hadn’t opened her eyes. It took another five before she remembered how to do that.

The first thing that struck her was how solid her surroundings looked, and a moment later, that came with the uneasy knowledge that she didn’t understand why that should be so strange. Walls, floors, ceilings, those existed, right? It shouldn’t feel so odd that they were there. Listening to such reason was immensely difficult when more than half of her was confused as to how she even knew that in the first place. Wasn’t it just, just, well, a fact? Except… no, she was convinced that at some time, in some place, the rules hadn’t been the same. Had they?

That was ridiculous though. She was from… Ostwick. Yes, Ostwick. There was a vague sense of a city, people, home-but-not-home. No, wait, she came from – no, it was Ostwick, even though a part of her wanted to suggest that it wasn’t quite right. But no, now she remembered, she was Trevelyan.

…What was Trevelyan?

This was too much. She needed time to think, away from this heaviness, away from the confines of wherever this was. There was a moment where she tried to <i>will</I> it all away, and then further confusion, both in trying to work out why she’d done that and the fact that it hadn’t worked. That was silly though, you couldn’t just think something and have it happen. She wasn’t a mage, that wasn’t how … wasn’t it?

She tried to lift her arms and then blinked. More weight. She looked down. There were some kind of manacles around her …wrists. Yes. Wrists. A blank stare as her achingly, desperately slow thoughts shifted through that. That meant imprisonment, captors. A keening sense of sadness swiped through her chest, and she could not fully explain why. It went deeper than knowing she was being held prisoner, and yet she couldn’t place a finger on it.

Captivity. Cages. No way out. No chances left.

Those thoughts swept across her in an instant and were gone just as quickly. What could have landed her in chains? She wasn’t a criminal. Granted, she wasn’t sure what a criminal was, but she definitely had the sense that criminals were the kind of people that got locked up, or at least, the kind that got locked up and actually deserved it.

Had she perhaps done something wrong? Again, a queasy and sick feeling ran through her. She remembered that there had been something. Quiet where before there had been noise, trying to help, and instead, instead…

Something else. She couldn’t remember.

She felt the person enter before even looking up from her bonds. Anger, anguish. A short haired woman, a hooded figure behind her.

Accusations were snarled. Questions, demands. She wanted to answer, but couldn’t work out how to speak. She could recall talking. She spoke all the time, to everyone. Except knowing that and putting it into practice were apparently different things. It had something to do with the tongue, but also the lips, and then there was breathing, too. How did it all work?

Silence was apparently taken for defiance, impudence, or both. The first woman grew even angrier before the second spoke, interceding, but not altruistically.

We need her. Not wanted, not welcomed, needed.

She understood need. She understood…

Despair. Death. The only survivor. The only one that may be able to do something.

“Stay silent if you wish. So long as you follow my instructions, I do not care if you speak.”

She gave a slight nod to the woman. Cassandra. That was what the other had called her. Why didn’t the name describe her? Names should… tell you about… no, names were just names. Just like she was Trevelyan. Well, no, not exactly like it, because there were other parts too, she wasn’t just Trevelyan, but she couldn’t focus on them, couldn’t grasp the memories, still elusive, still difficult.

Cassandra led her outside, wobbling unsteadily on her feet. Balancing was difficult, as if putting one foot in front of the other was somehow new, and somehow it was. Her body felt strange, like a familiar old coat that had been retailored to someone larger than herself, and now no longer fitted properly. She stopped and stared as she emerged into the open. A hole in the sky. A hole to- Cassandra was speaking, saying something about the world of demons, and Trevelyan felt a pang of something that may have been indignation, just another inexplicable thought and emotion to go with all the rest. It wasn’t just demons that resided in the Fade, yet when she tried to concentrate on how she knew that, she turned a blank. She’d heard something from the sisters, probably.

She had sisters, didn’t she? But it wasn’t those sisters that she would hear something like that from. How could one word be two things at once? Relatives and priests. That scarcely made sense.

The hole thrummed with energy, and a bolt of pain slammed into her hand. She cried out, the first sound she’d made since awaking. What- what was- that wasn’t right, that wasn’t how feelings worked. She grasped at her hand, a green mark pulsing, twisting, writhing, sending that agony all the way up her arm.

There was concern from Cassandra, but something else too, a sense of emotion that was both concealed and yet plain as day.

Crisis. Catastrophe. She is responsible. She is our only…

Hope.

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

February 13th, 2015, 3:50 pm #26

Demons.

Trevelyan was torn between dread and the very real impression that they shouldn’t be any concern of hers. It didn’t make the slightest sense; she’d never encountered demons before in her life, but all the stories she’d heard had been bad, cautionary. Demons were malevolent, they sought to prey on good, Maker-fearing folk, they tried to attack and possess mages. She knew all of those things, and yet there was no conviction behind the knowledge, doubts that she could not speak to the origins of.

One thing she remembered was how to use daggers, and when the shade attacked her, she did not hesitate. A strange chill ran through her when the demon dissolved into shadows, and she was still staring at the spot where it had been when Cassandra snarled at her to drop her weapons.

Trevelyan stared back blankly. Drop- relinquish them? But she had just been attacked! She wrestled with the words, trying to get them out. There was a knack to this. She’d always been able to speak, well, before, and it definitely hadn’t been hard. Why was it such a struggle now?

It didn’t matter; Cassandra changed her mind. Trevelyan felt relieved, though it took a moment to work out what that was, and why she was feeling it. Having weapons was reassuring and familiar; she’d learned how to use them since she was young, she was certain of that. What ‘young’ meant was rather more difficult to say.

The two of them fought their way across snow and ice to the scene of another battle between people and demons… the site of a rift.

It was smaller than the huge rent in the sky, but closer. It hummed with the power of the Fade, and Trevelyan was struck by longing and… homesickness? No, that couldn’t be right; she was no mage, she knew nothing of the Fade. Regular sickness, more likely. There was little time for contemplation however, as she waded in alongside Cassandra to support the embattled defenders.

Magic in the air. Trevelyan could almost taste it, and as the last demon fell she was looking around for its source when that very individual seized her by the wrist and held her hand to the rift.

“Quickly, before more come through!”

Resolution. Respite. She can fix this. She can help us.

There was a –crack- and the rift blinked out of existence as if it had never been. The mage – an elf, gave Trevelyan a long look, assessing and scrutinising. Trevelyan looked back at him, frowning slightly. He was familiar and yet different; she had the strangest sense that they had met before and yet she was quite certain that they hadn’t.

“You were right, Solas,” said Cassandra, breaking the moment. “The mark can seal the rifts.”

“Let us hope that the same holds true for the Breach.”

Trevelyan glanced to her hand. The strange scar across its palm almost seemed to fizz with power. It was not a pleasant sensation.

“Our hero of the hour doesn’t talk much, does she?” the voice came from … lower? Trevelyan glanced down and found herself looking at a broad-chested dwarf, reloading a crossbow. “Are you sure she’s all right?”

The elf, Solas, tilted his head to the side and looked at her again. “She has undergone a traumatic experience and then awoke in chains,” disapproval emanated from those words, almost an accusation. “Give her a little time.”

“Fair enough,” the dwarf inclined his head to her, bowing slightly. “Varric Tethras, rogue, storyteller, and occasionally unwelcome tagalong.”

He winked at Cassandra. She ignored him. “Leliana has identified her as Violetta Trevelyan, eighth child of ten, accompanying the delegation from the chantry of Ostwick.”

Varric chuckled. “Ten kids? I guess even nobles get bored of other nobles sometimes. Or a lot, in this case.”

Violetta. That was right. But… wrong? It wasn’t what she liked being called, reminded her of stern voices and exasperation. Her mother, her tutors. They were the ones that called her Violetta. Others, her friends, siblings, the name was, it was…

“Vee.”

Everyone looked at her. Suddenly, she felt enormously self-conscious. She awkwardly pointed a thumb to herself.

“Vee.”

She meant to say something more along the lines of ‘I’m Vee’ or ‘I prefer Vee, actually’, but the rest of the words were less than forthcoming. Maker’s breath, the only reason she’d said it was that it was almost an instinct to correct people who insisted on the pomp of her full name. A reflex action, as opposed to something she’d consciously thought of. The others were still looking at her, as if expecting more information to follow. Vee shrugged helplessly.

“We should get moving,” Cassandra said, throwing a venomous look her way, as if to say ‘You finally spoke, and that’s all?’. “The forward camp is not far.”

She turned away, Varric followed, after a moment. Solas lingered last, and for a second seemed like he was about to say something. Instead he made a gesture towards the path ahead, smiled gently, and left. Vee trailed along after him.

There were some many pieces of the puzzle, but they were all slipping through her fingers. She needed an edge, or a solid foundation to work from, and could find neither. Each time she thought of something she knew, she was assailed with doubts and confusion, internal conflicts that shook her resolve and her certainty. Facts should not be so malleable, and it was only the statements made by others that had managed to crystallise. Her name. Her family. And yet even then, she couldn’t match faces to names. Davin, Reginald, Annette, Gerisa. But what did they look like? Which order did they come in? Flashes of memory went by, but they were shreds and scraps.

Vee clung to them as she followed the others. Right now, that was all that she had.

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

February 15th, 2015, 10:01 pm #27

Demons.

Trevelyan was torn between dread and the very real impression that they shouldn’t be any concern of hers. It didn’t make the slightest sense; she’d never encountered demons before in her life, but all the stories she’d heard had been bad, cautionary. Demons were malevolent, they sought to prey on good, Maker-fearing folk, they tried to attack and possess mages. She knew all of those things, and yet there was no conviction behind the knowledge, doubts that she could not speak to the origins of.

One thing she remembered was how to use daggers, and when the shade attacked her, she did not hesitate. A strange chill ran through her when the demon dissolved into shadows, and she was still staring at the spot where it had been when Cassandra snarled at her to drop her weapons.

Trevelyan stared back blankly. Drop- relinquish them? But she had just been attacked! She wrestled with the words, trying to get them out. There was a knack to this. She’d always been able to speak, well, before, and it definitely hadn’t been hard. Why was it such a struggle now?

It didn’t matter; Cassandra changed her mind. Trevelyan felt relieved, though it took a moment to work out what that was, and why she was feeling it. Having weapons was reassuring and familiar; she’d learned how to use them since she was young, she was certain of that. What ‘young’ meant was rather more difficult to say.

The two of them fought their way across snow and ice to the scene of another battle between people and demons… the site of a rift.

It was smaller than the huge rent in the sky, but closer. It hummed with the power of the Fade, and Trevelyan was struck by longing and… homesickness? No, that couldn’t be right; she was no mage, she knew nothing of the Fade. Regular sickness, more likely. There was little time for contemplation however, as she waded in alongside Cassandra to support the embattled defenders.

Magic in the air. Trevelyan could almost taste it, and as the last demon fell she was looking around for its source when that very individual seized her by the wrist and held her hand to the rift.

“Quickly, before more come through!”

Resolution. Respite. She can fix this. She can help us.

There was a –crack- and the rift blinked out of existence as if it had never been. The mage – an elf, gave Trevelyan a long look, assessing and scrutinising. Trevelyan looked back at him, frowning slightly. He was familiar and yet different; she had the strangest sense that they had met before and yet she was quite certain that they hadn’t.

“You were right, Solas,” said Cassandra, breaking the moment. “The mark can seal the rifts.”

“Let us hope that the same holds true for the Breach.”

Trevelyan glanced to her hand. The strange scar across its palm almost seemed to fizz with power. It was not a pleasant sensation.

“Our hero of the hour doesn’t talk much, does she?” the voice came from … lower? Trevelyan glanced down and found herself looking at a broad-chested dwarf, reloading a crossbow. “Are you sure she’s all right?”

The elf, Solas, tilted his head to the side and looked at her again. “She has undergone a traumatic experience and then awoke in chains,” disapproval emanated from those words, almost an accusation. “Give her a little time.”

“Fair enough,” the dwarf inclined his head to her, bowing slightly. “Varric Tethras, rogue, storyteller, and occasionally unwelcome tagalong.”

He winked at Cassandra. She ignored him. “Leliana has identified her as Violetta Trevelyan, eighth child of ten, accompanying the delegation from the chantry of Ostwick.”

Varric chuckled. “Ten kids? I guess even nobles get bored of other nobles sometimes. Or a lot, in this case.”

Violetta. That was right. But… wrong? It wasn’t what she liked being called, reminded her of stern voices and exasperation. Her mother, her tutors. They were the ones that called her Violetta. Others, her friends, siblings, the name was, it was…

“Vee.”

Everyone looked at her. Suddenly, she felt enormously self-conscious. She awkwardly pointed a thumb to herself.

“Vee.”

She meant to say something more along the lines of ‘I’m Vee’ or ‘I prefer Vee, actually’, but the rest of the words were less than forthcoming. Maker’s breath, the only reason she’d said it was that it was almost an instinct to correct people who insisted on the pomp of her full name. A reflex action, as opposed to something she’d consciously thought of. The others were still looking at her, as if expecting more information to follow. Vee shrugged helplessly.

“We should get moving,” Cassandra said, throwing a venomous look her way, as if to say ‘You finally spoke, and that’s all?’. “The forward camp is not far.”

She turned away, Varric followed, after a moment. Solas lingered last, and for a second seemed like he was about to say something. Instead he made a gesture towards the path ahead, smiled gently, and left. Vee trailed along after him.

There were some many pieces of the puzzle, but they were all slipping through her fingers. She needed an edge, or a solid foundation to work from, and could find neither. Each time she thought of something she knew, she was assailed with doubts and confusion, internal conflicts that shook her resolve and her certainty. Facts should not be so malleable, and it was only the statements made by others that had managed to crystallise. Her name. Her family. And yet even then, she couldn’t match faces to names. Davin, Reginald, Annette, Gerisa. But what did they look like? Which order did they come in? Flashes of memory went by, but they were shreds and scraps.

Vee clung to them as she followed the others. Right now, that was all that she had.

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

February 18th, 2015, 4:35 pm #28

Closing the rift beneath the Breach and quieting the great rip in the sky was an ordeal. Just the proximity to the Breach made Vee feel sick to her stomach, and that was without even factoring the disconcerting surroundings of the Temple of Sacred Ashes, both familiar and utterly alien. Just to add the final cherry to the cake, there was another demon, a Pride demon, leering and laughing deep in the back of its throat. Distressing didn’t even come close to covering it, a fundamental sense of horror that went far beyond it just being a massive monster. Twisted, corrupted…

Regardless, they had done it. They’d survived. More specifically the mark on her hand had done it, and then she’d collapsed. Losing consciousness was a mercy.

The moment she awoke in an unfamiliar bed, she could feel it all around her. There were the noises of a chattering crowd outside, though that wasn’t all of it, there was something else… underlying and yet even louder, somehow.

Hero. Herald. She saved us. She’s special.

Vee shook her head. She couldn’t hear words, exactly, it was more of a vague impression, whispers that touched her mind rather than her ears. Either way, it was unnerving.

She slid out of bed and outside, trying to ignore the looks of wonder that the people she walked by were giving her, trying to pretend that every part of the crowd wasn’t discussing her in some form or another. She heard ‘Herald of Andraste’ several times, a moniker which she couldn’t even begin to think about rationally. Vee knew who Andraste was. Sort of. She remembered hearing the name and stories attached to the name, which was nearly as good as knowledge. She wasn’t sure she liked the comparison. Andraste was important, very important. She was not.

Vee meandered her way through the town and up to the chantry. Raised voices came from a room within, ones she recognised. Cassandra, and that man who had pointed an accusatory finger in her face, back at the forward camp, read her silence as an admission of guilt. Roderick, the chantry clerk. She pushed open the door, and Roderick picked up exactly where he’d left off last time. More accusations, a demand to be returned to the chains.

Surprisingly, this time it was Cassandra that came to her defence. Vee raised an eyebrow as the Chancellor was shouted down.

“She’s scarcely said a word since awaking, Seeker! She’s afraid that she’ll condemn herself with lies!”

“I do not believe that, nor that she was responsible.”

Roderick’s expression was furious as Cassandra set a book down upon the table, growing into a mixture of that and appalled as the hooded woman from before, Leliana, explained it as being a writ from the Divine herself, a directive to restore something called the Inquisition.

That, however, was secondary to Vee; she was busy making an obscene gesture to Roderick as he stormed out. Her brother had shown it to her when she was seven, and when their mother caught her at it, had birched Vee until she cried. One more random thing her memory had filled in for her, though at least this one had the use of being able to antagonise someone unpleasant.

“You understand, even if you do not speak, Violetta,” Cassandra tugged Vee’s attention back. “We would… like your help in this matter. The Breach is stable, but it is not closed, and your mark has been the only means of closing rifts we have found.”

Sincere. Shame. Why doesn’t she talk? Why is she silent?

Vee held up a thumb and smiled. The expression was forced. She wanted to say yes, she wanted to say that she would do everything in her power to her help, but her tongue tripped over the words and they died upon her lips. It was the same strangeness that came with moving around, the unsettling sensation that there was too much of her to think about. Unlike walking, running, fighting, where she found herself clumsy but exuberant, with speech she simply found herself mute. It hurt.

Cassandra answered her gesture with a nod. “Thank you. Now, Leliana and I have many preparations to make. In the meantime, I believe Solas would like to speak with you.”

She knew a dismissal when she heard one. That was fine; it wasn’t as if Vee could bring much to the table right now anyway. She waved over her head and left.

Vee found Solas standing outside of one of Haven’s buildings, gazing pensively towards the Breach. Calmed now, but still looming overhead like a storm cloud. Just as she was wondering how to get his attention without tapping him on the shoulder, he glanced across to her.

“You are awake. Hopefully this encounter shall be rather less dramatic than those preceding it,” he smiled warmly, and Vee returned it before quirking an eyebrow and making a vague gesture to herself. She couldn’t keep a scowl from spreading. This was immensely frustrating.

“Yet to find your words, I see,” a thoughtful expression came across his face. “I had hoped to talk about your experiences, but I do not wish to trouble you further. I’m quite certain you have been interrogated enough recently.” Solas stroked his chin. “I have learned a great deal about languages both ancient and lost during my travels in the Fade. One that I recall consisted entirely of hand signals, flowing gestures forming words and descriptions. I do not know if it will be easier, precisely, but if you would like, I can teach you of this language. Certainly it’s a more fluent means of communication than nodding your head.”

Vee smiled again, a lopsided grin that quirked the corner of her mouth as she responded with another nod, just a touch of irony in the motion.

Solas chuckled. “Very well, let us begin. This is the sign for ‘hello’. Yes, good, well done…”

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

March 13th, 2015, 1:41 pm #29

((It's possible I completely forgot that I was posting this here)).

The next couple of weeks were a bustling hive of activity, not least as everyone tried to work out exactly what an Inquisition was and should represent. Vee spent most of it trying to stay out of the way; easier said than done when she was the renowned ‘Herald’. Every visitor wanted to see her, it seemed, and it was all Vee could do just to stay sane, let alone present herself as the kind of hero that everyone was expecting. They wanted a shining knight out of the storybooks, not a slender whip of a woman barely into her twenties. When they were disappointed, Vee knew every time, as if she herself was feeling the emotion.

A lot was being pinned on her, and though part of her hated the attention, another desperately wanted to avoid letting people down.

More knowledge trickled in steadily, often shaped by the guiding hand of Solas, who was willing to answer any question, no matter how inane, no matter how she faltered and groped for words that she had not yet learned how to sign. Vee could remember more of herself now, as if the longer everything around her was solid, the more solid she became, though perhaps that wasn’t quite right; more comfortable, perhaps. She recalled Ostwick and her family, of the arguments about her knifeplay and the ‘humiliation’ she had brought to them, reminders that she could always be sent away to some convent, like two of her elder sisters. She remembered going to the chantry to become affirmed and deciding out of petulance or defiance that she was going to stay there, neither Templar nor initiate.

Understanding did not come with the knowledge. Vee knew that she was faithful enough to seek that affirmation of her own volition, and yet now when she thought of Maker and Andraste, there was a strange sense of detachment. She knew the words and the prayers, but her feelings towards them were different now. She had looked to them as a symbol, a sign that things could one day improve, and many others treated the Maker in the same way. That made Him a positive thing, to her convictions. He brought belief and hope for the future… but also brutality, suffering at the hands who would wield His word as a weapon. For some the Maker, in his absence, was a source of little more than despair. It twisted Vee’s feelings, made them confusing and strange.

She preferred to concentrate on her lessons with Solas instead. He was patient; firm, but never harsh, a good teacher. He accompanied her often as she walked about Haven on some task or another, and though it was disenchanting to need him there as an interpreter when she <i>knew</i> the words, just could not speak them, he always relayed what she had said exactly as she had said it. Vee appreciated that. It made her feel a little more like she had a voice again. Spoken word remained elusive, a concept that at times she felt that she had grasped, only for it to slip away at the last instant. She still had not managed to say more than her name in almost half a month.

“Violetta? Can you come over here for a moment?” the voice called out from a tent as Vee passed, and she stopped. It had grown familiar over the past while. Leliana. Spymaster. Vee turned and ducked into the tent, glancing over at the reports covering the desks within. Already so many; how quickly the Inquisition was growing into a living and breathing creature.

Leliana turned, smiled, and then deftly signed ’I understand you have been learning this.’

Vee’s eyes widened, and her gestures were faltering as she replied. ’You know how to sign?’

‘After a fashion. I have learned a number of signalling systems, and this one was similar to some of them. S o l a s helped fill in the blanks.’

Vee smiled. ’He is helpful.' tilting her head to the side. ’Was there something you needed?’

’I had questions. Of the variety best asked in private.’

Raising an eyebrow, Vee said nothing.

’You were with the chantry?’ - Vee thought that was chantry, anyway. The symbol wasn’t unlike ‘temple’.

’Yes. I was protecting the sisters.’

’But you are not a priest-knight.’

Templar, Vee realised. She shook her head. ’Almost. I have three brothers in the order.’

’I see. No Templar, but you can fight.’ Leliana trailed off and then gave a slight nod. ’That was all. If you have the time, we were about to have a meeting about our next move.’

Left perplexed, Vee nevertheless signed assent and followed Leliana out of the tent and towards the chantry. What exactly was the woman getting at? Vee knew that Leliana had been very close to the deceased Divine, but so far as she was aware, Vee’s role at the conclave had never really been in question. Well, apart from the period where they’d been convinced that she had blown the whole thing up, but that had been smoothed over. In so much as an enormous explosion tearing a hole in the veil could be considered smoothed. Vee had assumed that Leliana and company already knew about her and her family, considering they’d been aware of whom she was before she was even conscious again.

Waiting inside was Cassandra alongside a man and a woman that Vee had seen around Haven a few times already. The man was blonde, armoured, had the look of the soldier. The woman held a writing board and carried herself like the nobles Vee had spent so much of her childhood around.

Cassandra inclined her head. “Violetta, this is Commander Cullen, leader of the Inquisition’s forces, and Lady Josephine Montilyet, our ambassador and chief diplomat. Leliana you know.”

“My lady.”

’I have heard much. It’s a pleasure to meet you at last.’ the woman, Josephine signed. Vee’s surprise must have been obvious, because she spoke then, her accent richly Antivan. “My role as diplomat has given me cause to learn as many languages as possible. Though, I’m afraid I know only a little of yours, as of yet.”

’I appreciate the effort. Thank you.’

Josephine gave a courteous little dip of a curtsey. Cullen, Vee noticed, was closely watching her hands, as if trying to work out the meaning of the shapes that she had formed.

The meeting proceeded quickly from the introductions, and Vee was surprised that the group was willing to look to her input as much as anyone else, albeit filtered through Leliana. She felt grossly underqualified to be here, with little more than a mark on her hand and a head full of mangled memories that may as well have belonged to a different person for as much good they did for her here. Vee wasn’t an expert, she was just someone that had managed to be lucky enough not to die.
The rest of the group came to the conclusion that if the Inquisition was to get any help from the chantry at all, they would need to seek out a woman called Mother Giselle, who had been aiding refugees in the Hinterlands. Vee expected that to be the end of it, but then found that Josephine was hesitantly glancing at her.

“There is one more matter for your attention, Lady Trevelyan. There have been some… unsavoury rumours about your continued silence. Some of our visitors are uneasy, and the last thing we need at the moment is to give anyone ammunition against us.”

’We feel you should accompany the party to find the Mother. It will be good for our reputation for you to be seen in action, especially if you can close rifts in the process,’ Leliana signed.

Rifts. Solas had taught Vee that one. She cast her eyes down. More fighting… but others were relying on her, everyone in the Inquisition. Protecting others and more importantly, ensuring that their belief was not in vain; those were more important than her own scruples.

’I understand. Let me prepare.’

She didn’t need to be able to speak to help.

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Namira
Mr. Danya

March 15th, 2015, 3:44 am #30

“You look tired, Squeaks. When’s the last time you slept?”

Vee looked across the small camp to where Varric sat upon a log and gave a shrug. They’d been in the Hinterlands for two weeks now, assisting as best they could with Inquisition efforts to bring some semblance of stability to the region. It was slow going, with apostates and rogue templars seemingly waiting in ambush around every corner. Sometimes with bears. However, as difficult as it sometimes could be, it had to be done; without help, many of the refugees clustering around would die. The Inquisition may have formed in response to the Breach, but they were still supposed to be a force for order. The Hinterlands made it abundantly clear how badly they were needed. Varric had taken to calling her ‘Squeaks’ on the third day, apparently due to her being ‘as quiet as a mouse’. Cute.

“You remind me of someone I know. She never took a moment to rest either. If you’re not careful, the wheels are going to come off.”

Vee made a rapid series of signs. Solas, at the edge of the camp, gave a short snort of a laugh. Varric eyed him for a moment.

“Care to share for those of us that don’t speak with our hands, Chuckles?”

“She said that if she was aware that her mother was going to come on this trip, she would have brought earplugs.”

Varric laughed and grinned. “Point taken, Squeaks. Just trying to look out for you,” his eyes dropped to her hands. “Remind me to give that a shot sometime. It doesn’t really seem fair for you to have to talk through other people.”

’Thank you, V a r r i c.’

“Well, we can begin here; Vee just thanked you,” Solas supplied.

“It would be much simpler to address the cause of her problems,” Cassandra, who had been to that point silent, chipped in. Vee still wasn’t sure what to the make of the Seeker. Very stern, though she no longer held Vee responsible for what had happened at the Conclave. Sometimes she wondered whether Cassandra viewed her as more of an idea – the Herald – than an actual person.

“And did you have any ideas on that front, Cassandra?” Solas answered coldly.

Cassandra looked surprised. “It was not my intention to- Violetta is capable of speaking, at least a little. There must be some way of allowing her to talk again.”

“Should you take the time, you will discover that she is excellent company. It is merely a language you do not understand.”

Cassandra scowled, poking moodily at the campfire with a stick.

Vee caught Solas’s eye. ’It’s all right,’ she signed. ’She was trying to be helpful; I’m sure she didn’t mean anything by it.’

’Very well. I simply do not wish to see your progress played down. You have made excellent strides in a short time.’

’I have a good teacher,’ she winked, and Solas smiled back.

It was strange to think that Solas was the first elf she had ever known on a more than passing basis. They had elf servants back in Ostwick, something which she’d barely thought about at the time, but now caused a vague sense of sickness in her stomach. For many of those that lived in alienages, the most that they could hope for, the pinnacle of what they could accomplish was a job as a servant. It just seemed so… sad.

Solas was very different from any of those elves, and in truth anyone she’d met before, anyone around the Inquisition, too. Others were confused by her, did not understand how she acted; it went beyond just the speech. It hadn’t taken long for it to come out that her memory was a little fractured, not when she’d explained through Solas just how little she could remember about the circumstances surrounding not only the Conclave, but everything that came before. Violetta Trevelyan was like a person that Vee had heard about, or met before, as opposed to, well, her. Solas, on the other hand, didn’t seem to carry any of the same expectations, was content to treat her as a regular person instead of one that was somehow damaged.

That was what hurt most of all about her inability to speak. Her muteness did not make her less than anyone else, nor did it make her simple, as some assumed had to follow. Being different did not mean worse, but that did not stop others from treating her strangely, rudely at worst.

Frail. Firm. Nobody must know. Nobody must harm her.

Vee frowned. The whispers had continued after leaving Haven, although less frequently than before. At times they almost sounded like actual people, but the rest of the time she could barely make sense of them. She hadn’t dared mention it even to Solas, for fear that ‘Sometimes I hear strange voices in my head’ would finally break his patience. It wasn’t as if they were harmful anyway, just odd, like snatches of incomplete thoughts, but not her own. From others? That was difficult to say; certainly sometimes the impressions felt like they may have belonged to someone nearby, but they were never distinct enough for Vee to be certain. Maybe it was part of the mark. It wasn’t like Vee understood that magic, who was to say it couldn’t or didn’t somehow draw those whispers to her? Perhaps they came from the other side of the veil.

That was comforting and distressing at the same time. She shouldn’t be reassured by thinking of things coming across the veil from the Fade, and yet… Vee sighed, shook her head, and crawled over to her bedroll. Varric was right, she needed sleep. Maybe then her mind would stop wandering such strange paths.

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler