Luca Johanssen

JamesRenard
Leader

February 12th, 2012, 1:49 am #1

Name: Luca Johanssen
Grade: 12th grade
School: Aurora High School
Hobbies and Interests: Government conspiracy theories, documentaries, browsing the internet, baseball, medicine, biology

Appearance: Luca stands 5'11" tall and weighs around 160lb, an average weight for his height. His body has a toned physique however, due to regular baseball playing that has built his muscles up, especially those in his arms and legs. Despite the time spent playing his favorite sport outdoors, his skin has a slightly pale tone, as he doesn't tan or freckle very easily.

Luca is very meticulous with his appearance and it shows; his dirty-blond hair is kept cut short and slightly gelled to keep its shape, with a short fringe that hangs in place over his forehead. He shaves every other day to keep the stubble around his jaw minimal, and uses anti-acne lotions to keep any breakouts of spots at bay. There are also rumors that he even plucks his eyebrows so they look neater, but Luca hasn't done anything of the sort and leaves them as they are; thick, straight and slightly darker than his hair.

His eyes are a deep shade of brown. Being slightly long sighted however, Luca wears a pair of frame-less prescription glasses, the exception being for when he wears contacts to play baseball. His nose isn't remarkable, being straight, narrow and of an average size.

Luca has one piercing, a silver stud embedded with an emerald in his left ear lobe. He has no tattoos, but has a scar across his lower-left abdomen from when he needed an appendectomy at the age of 13. Luca can usually be seen around school wearing polo-neck shirts - usually in red, brown or any other warm colors - and black shorts that reach just below his knees. Footwear-wise, he is always wearing black trainer shoes.

Biography: Luca Brian Johanssen was born on 25th July 1994 to young parents Fredrik Johanssen and Valerie Kirkwood, a second generation Norwegian and a third generation Briton respectively. At the time of Luca's birth, his parents weren't married but were living together, and they didn't tie the knot until he was one and a half years old. Luca was to be their only child, Fredrik and Valerie believing they wouldn't be able to cope financially if they were to have a fourth mouth to feed.

Growing up, Luca was an inquisitive child, very interested in the workings of the world around him. If something caught his attention, he would ask his parents questions about it, though wouldn't always get an answer. He would also occasionally attempt to read up on the subject as best he could, though he was restricted to either books he had at home or children's books at the library.

Fredrik was a huge baseball fan, and so would often play a simple game with Luca in their backyard to keep him entertained. Luca enjoyed these games and developed a strong interest in baseball over the years, going on to practice his batting and pitching at the local batting cages during the weekend.

When Luca was 10, the world was shaken by the first SOTF attacks. Several classes from American schools, as well as a few from other countries, went missing without a trace, swiftly followed by the broadcast of SOTF V1. Luca wasn't quite old enough to grasp the terror that it inflicted on the nation, nor the concept of children just a few years older than him being made to kill each other; all he knew was that people had died, and that was all his parents would allow him to know about it. It was only two years later, when V3 had arrived, did he realize to his horror just what had been going on over the past two years.

Approximately four months after Luca's 13th birthday, he came down with a sudden stomach ache. While initially believing it would pass, his parents quickly became concerned when the pains didn't dissipate and Luca began violently throwing up. They rushed him to hospital where Luca was diagnosed with appendicitis. Luca required emergency surgery to remove the inflamed organ and remained in hospital for a few days after the successful operation. While the episode lasted just under a week, it had an effect on the boy that would last a lifetime. Wanting to understand exactly what had happened to him, Luca took an interest to biology and began to study it more at school.

Around a year after that episode in Luca's life, SOTF's reign of terror officially came to a long-awaited end. Several months after V4 ended, morbid curiosity drove Luca to look back at the details from the earlier versions, where he was faced with several facts that just didn't make sense. Though there was no official link given by the government, he believed that the many classes that vanished before V1's airing were linked to SOTF. He was also puzzled by the government's lack of involvement in any rescue attempt whatsoever, even during V4.

Putting the pieces together, he came to the assumption that the government were behind, or secretly supporting SOTF. He occasionally voiced his opinions on the matter online and to acquaintances, being met more often then not with ridicule and in some cases, hostility. There were a few people who actually believed him, however, which buoyed his confidence and kept his belief in the theories going. His interest has since spread from conspiracies solely concerning SOTF to other government conspiracies and determining if they were true or not, such as the JFK assassination and the Roswell crash landing. His general attitude to anyone who disagrees with him is that they're incorrect and uninformed, and he tends to come off as quite arrogant. If, however, his opponents are able to shoot down his theories with solid proof, he will back down, although reluctantly.

While he grew up, Luca didn't feel a great deal of attraction to girls. Quite the opposite, Luca felt more comfortable in the company of other males, however throughout his life he had always expected to get married someday and have children of his own. During his mid-teens, he found himself being drawn ever closer to members of the same sex. Initially thinking that he just really enjoyed hanging out with other guys, he started to wonder after a while if he was actually becoming sexually attracted to them. Late in his junior year, Luca dated a girl, Louise Aitkens, who attended a different high school. Their relationship did not last long however; Louise broke up with Luca after only a month, feeling he wasn't really interested in her. To this day, Luca is still not 100% sure of his sexuality, though he keeps it to himself.

Luca continued to play baseball well into high school and got into Aurora High's team during his junior year. While his batting isn't too shabby and he is quite a quick runner between bases, he really excels at pitching. Due to his arrogant personality, however, Luca isn't a popular member within the squad. He also loves to watch the sport on television - his favorite professional team are the Seattle Mariners. As far as his classes go, Luca excels mainly in biology and English.

Advantages: Luca is quite athletic due to his baseball playing, and has good aim. He is also intelligent, and his knowledge of medicine will definitely come in handy should he or an ally require treatment while on the island.
Disadvantages: His beliefs about SOTF and the government have served to alienate him from his peers, so actually finding an ally in the first place would be easier said than done. His long-sightedness would also hamper his chances, should he lose his glasses or contacts.
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V5. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

V5 Characters
B006: Darren Fox - Weapon(s): Lego "Creator" bucket /// Status: ALIVE /// Current location: Meltdown (Nuclear Plant - The Reactors)
Thread chain: O | O=O=O | O=O=

B030: Luca Johanssen - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Leap of Faith (Northern Coast - The Zipline Attraction) /// Rank: 134/152
Thread chain: O | O=O
[+] Spoiler
Sandra Ortega: Daughter of a teacher, sister of a delinquent, wants to succeed

[+] Spoiler
G109: Miranda Merchant - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Hearing is Believing (The Woods: Inland) /// Rank: 227/276
Thread chain: O=O=O=O

B146: Marco Stonecastle (adopted from Danetrix) - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Breaking Down the Wall (The Warehouse) /// Rank: 177/276

B145: Garry "Garou" Villette - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Burn On (The Mountain) /// Rank: 44/276
Thread chain: O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O

B141: Saul Fetteralf (adopted from Jackson) - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Dead-End Scenario (The Parish) /// Rank: 15/276
Thread chain: O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O

B121: Allen Birkman - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: RESCUED /// Location: Four-Act Structure /// "Rank": 76/276
Thread chain: O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O

[+] Spoiler
20:44BetaKnight I do have more fucks than you do. I've been tending my fuck farm.

Cards Remaining (V5) - HERO: 1 /// SWAP: 0

Namira
Mr. Danya

February 17th, 2012, 11:06 pm #2

Hiya Darren, Luca is temporarily denied, pending some minor adjustments.

First thing, you need to capitalise 'Government conspiracy theories' in the Hobbies and Interests sessions.

Secondly, in places the phrasing of the appearance section is very awkward and stilted, particularly the first paragraph:
wrote:Luca stands at a height of 5'11", and with a weight of 154lb, he's on the skinny end of the spectrum. He has very little fat reserves yet there is some muscle mass on his body, around his arms and legs mostly. His skin is quite pale from where he spends little time outside in the open, not to mention he doesn't tan or freckle very easily.
For one thing, calling Luca skinny and then subsequently mentioning he has muscle mass is a little contradictory, and whilst I understand your meaning, you should elaborate on the specifics of Luca's build a little more, such that it doesn't come across as "He's slim but he isn't".

The part apart his paleness is also quite awkward, you'd probably be better off rewording it to something like "As Luca doesn't spend much time outside, his skin is quite pale, especially since he doesn't tan or freckle very easily."

Can you explain further what a 'vibe of intelligence' is?
wrote:Luca has just the one piercing that's in his left ear lobe; a silver stud embedded with an emerald.
Again, this is a little awkward, I would rephase it to something like "Luca has a single piercing, a silver stud embedded with an emerald in his left ear lobe". 'Just the one piercing' makes it sounds like he's expected to have others.

--

Otherwise, I have just a couple of things I'd like clearing up.

There's no problem with Luca being an inquisitive child, but I'd like to know the extent to which he 'read up' on various subjects he was unsure about. That's fairly unusual for a kid - generally they won't do their own research at that kind of age unless it's on pretty basic topics and most likely with parental assistance.

This follows onto my next point; I find it very unlikely that Luca would start reading about medicine and anatomy at the age of nine. It's fine if the surgery sparked an interest for Luca, but the aspect would be far better off if kept to something that Luca became engaged in when he was older than that. Even if a preteen became interesting in medicine, the material is just far too complicated for a child of that age.
wrote:He was also puzzled by the government's lack of involvement in any rescue attempt whatsoever, especially during that of V4.
- this could do with a little clarification. Do you mean Luca was puzzled that the government didn't get involved, even when the V4 escape attempt happened?
wrote:Luca also developed an interest in baseball, having played with his father in his youth, and he occasionally plays the sport in his spare time to this day. Nowadays though, he much prefers to watch it on television - his favorite professional team are the Seattle Mariners.
This seems out of place. If it's a interest that developed in Luca's youth, why is it only being elaborated on at a stage in the profile where Luca is already growing up? I'd move it to an earlier spot in the profile, so it flows better.

wrote:Luca had never felt any kind of attraction to girls as he grew up. Quite the opposite, Luca felt more comfortable in the company of other guys. As far as Luca was concerned though, he thought it was pretty normal at the time and thought that once his hormones kicked in, he'd start being attracted to the opposite sex. When Luca hit puberty, his hormones did indeed kick in. Much to his surprise, however, he found himself being drawn ever closer to members of the same sex. Initially he thought it was just a phase that would pass, but when the feelings never went away, it eventually struck Luca that he was actually gay.
It's a little... clinical for a pre-pubescent child to be assessing his attractions and hormones in this way. I sure as heck didn't know what I was attracted to when I was that kind of age - I barely know now and I'm almost out the other side of being a teenager. Even if Luca was able to acknowledge feeling attraction at such a young age, which is doubtful in itself, his judgement on it most definitely wouldn't be "Oh that'll change when my hormones kicked in". This needs a fair bit of reworking. It's okay for there to be conflict and indeed for him to assume that it's something that he'll grow out of, but pre-teen is a little young for Luca to be looking at his sexuality in that kind of way.

I would also like a little more detail about how Luca's parents responded to his coming out. Why was his father ultimately accepting if he had such huge misgivings? Was there any particular reason his mother was understanding? This is quite a big deal, and it seems like it was a little glossed over.

Having finished the biography, I'm not quite sure why Luca has much in the way of muscle mass at all when it's apparent that he doesn't do any kind of athletic activity beyond occasional games of baseball (similarly, athleticism as an advantage appears out of place for somebody who does so little). I would suggest either making Luca just a bit of a beanpole altogether, or have him play baseball more regularly. If his knowledge of medicine extends to having treatment knowledge, then this needs to be expanded on more than it already is - right now all I know is that he was interested in medicine when he was nine. Did that continue? To what extent? Does he still want to be a doctor?

Let me know when you've made the changes!

SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!
[+] Spoiler
13:58 Gianni Oh come on you broke someone's heart
13:59 Gianni you are proud, not embarrassed
13:59 Christian Yes
13:59 Christian Be proud
13:59 Christian Do we not all strive to break a human soul?
[+] Spoiler
Vincenzo/a 'Vinny' 'Enzo' Gatti | DO IT FOR THE VINE.
Toby 'Noodle' Andreasson | :|
[+] Spoiler
G008 - Kammy So'oialo | wants a new script
G062 - Becca Everett | was a damn superstar
G071 - Sunshine Cho Lee | trusted
[+] Spoiler
G026 - Rosalia Fiametta | Found it. | Walkie Talkies
G014 - Yelizaveta 'Bounce' Volkova | Out of here | Gasoline
B060 - Brock Mason | Thump. Thump |
G029 - Kristina 'Kris' Hartmann | Put Down. | Drama Bombs [∞], M79 Grenade Launcher [x6 grenades]
G117 - Jessie Anderson | Still Smiling | Faith

JamesRenard
Leader

February 27th, 2012, 10:50 pm #3

Okay, I think I've addressed all of those, though knowing my luck, I've missed something out.
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V5. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

V5 Characters
B006: Darren Fox - Weapon(s): Lego "Creator" bucket /// Status: ALIVE /// Current location: Meltdown (Nuclear Plant - The Reactors)
Thread chain: O | O=O=O | O=O=

B030: Luca Johanssen - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Leap of Faith (Northern Coast - The Zipline Attraction) /// Rank: 134/152
Thread chain: O | O=O
[+] Spoiler
Sandra Ortega: Daughter of a teacher, sister of a delinquent, wants to succeed

[+] Spoiler
G109: Miranda Merchant - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Hearing is Believing (The Woods: Inland) /// Rank: 227/276

B146: Marco Stonecastle (adopted from Danetrix) - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Breaking Down the Wall (The Warehouse) /// Rank: 177/276

B145: Garry "Garou" Villette - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Burn On (The Mountain) /// Rank: 44/276
Thread chain: O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O

B141: Saul Fetteralf (adopted from Jackson) - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Dead-End Scenario (The Parish) /// Rank: 15/276
Thread chain: O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O

B121: Allen Birkman - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: RESCUED /// Location: Four-Act Structure /// "Rank": 76/276
Thread chain: O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O

[+] Spoiler
20:44BetaKnight I do have more fucks than you do. I've been tending my fuck farm.

Cards Remaining (V5) - HERO: 1 /// SWAP: 0

Namira
Mr. Danya

February 28th, 2012, 7:58 pm #4

APPROVED

SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!
[+] Spoiler
13:58 Gianni Oh come on you broke someone's heart
13:59 Gianni you are proud, not embarrassed
13:59 Christian Yes
13:59 Christian Be proud
13:59 Christian Do we not all strive to break a human soul?
[+] Spoiler
Vincenzo/a 'Vinny' 'Enzo' Gatti | DO IT FOR THE VINE.
Toby 'Noodle' Andreasson | :|
[+] Spoiler
G008 - Kammy So'oialo | wants a new script
G062 - Becca Everett | was a damn superstar
G071 - Sunshine Cho Lee | trusted
[+] Spoiler
G026 - Rosalia Fiametta | Found it. | Walkie Talkies
G014 - Yelizaveta 'Bounce' Volkova | Out of here | Gasoline
B060 - Brock Mason | Thump. Thump |
G029 - Kristina 'Kris' Hartmann | Put Down. | Drama Bombs [∞], M79 Grenade Launcher [x6 grenades]
G117 - Jessie Anderson | Still Smiling | Faith