KamiKaze
Winner

September 7th, 2016, 7:07 am #11

Jennifer couldn’t believe it, either. You’d think SOTF was one of those things that’d just… disappear. To never happen ever again. To become a thing of the past. Apparently not. Everyone learned that in 2012, and now they were learning it again in 2015. It was one of the biggest travesties in years, and… here they were, stuck god knew where.

She wished that she could believe that this was some kind of prank too. But what kind of prank goes this far? You’d need to have a lot of time, money, and energy to pull off something of this magnitude. No, it was real, as far as Jennifer could tell.

Jennifer pulled herself back towards the table. She’d been sitting down at the art table before her… outburst, but as she placed herself in front of it, she noticed Kiziah and Bart had to make do. Bart was on the floor, while Kiziah was leaning against the tree. Well, it wouldn’t be fair, would it? Instead, she moved away. It was better to let them have her space. Instead, Jennifer knelt down, adjusting and soothing out her skirt as she did. She’d been dressing for a day out at the museum, so she didn’t think of putting on something more practical for physical activity that morning. If she had known, she would not have worn a skirt and heels. Then again, if she had known, she probably wouldn’t have gone on the trip at all.

She wasn’t good at emotional conversations. But she had to speak up.

“You know… I can’t believe it either. I keep hoping that this is some messed-up dream, or that it’s the world’s most elaborate prank. But it can’t be, it just can’t.”

Jennifer pulled her arms around herself, feeling herself shake. Her muscles were tense. It felt like heat was coming out of her eyes.

She remembered writing posts about SOTF on her blog. It was topical, so it was worth sharing her opinions on. It was vile. Truly and simply vile. She’d heard all kinds of stories, too. Jennifer remembered hearing that there were some twisted parts of the deep web that had footage. It wasn’t something she’d dare find out for herself. There were always trolls, too. Of course, there were also politicians willing to use it as part of their agenda, no matter what it was. But the worst part was how the government let it happen six times.

“Just… six times. Six times, it could have been stopped. I just simply can’t believe that the CIA or FBI can’t just… investigate what’s going on, and put a stop to it. I swear to god, if we don’t get rescued soon -“

Jennifer’s voice had raised, but she caught herself off. Her blood had started boiling again. It was a good idea to stop where she did.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."
[+] spoiler
In Loving Memory Of Those Killed In The 2008 SOTF
Carol Burke- Female Student #015- A good friend.
Remy Kim- Male Student #080- Yet another victim of the system.
Aileen Borden- Female Student #022- It's going to be okay.

In Loving Memory Of Those Killed In The 2012 SOTF
Alexandria "Alex" Ripley- Female Student #002- Sometimes your life is meant to be a warning to others.
Lana Torres- Female Student #039- Technically, she died happy.
Miranda Millers- Female Student #019- Doomed by self-fulfilling prophecy.

In Loving Memory of Those Killed in the 2015 SOTF
Jennifer Wallace- Female Student #055- Good night, and good luck.
Junko Kurosawa- Female Student #041- Experienced a thrill to die for.
Emma Luz- Female Student #022- Sweet dreams.

....?
Anna Chase- Female Student #010- And then she lived happily ever after.
[+] spoiler
For v6, I have come to a decision. To help lessen character pimping, I have vowed not to talk about my characters, any characters closely related to mine, or any threads I've been involved in, in any of the following places:

- Chat
- General Discussion thread
- TV Tropes
- Random Thoughts

I am not allowing myself to talk about anything relating to my characters or scenes I'm in unless they are brought up in conversation by another handler. I am not allowed to use my characters' names OOC or mention anything relating to that character until another handler mentions them. This is not currently in effect for pre-game; these self-imposed rules do not apply until v6 starts. However, they will be in effect the second v6 is announced. When one of my characters die, escape, or are otherwise removed from the game, these rules are lifted for that character, and I am free to talk about that character as much as I want. However, the others will have to wait until they too are out of the game.

This is a personal promise I'm keeping to myself for v6. If I break it, please feel free to bitch me out.

-KamiKaze

Addendum as of v6: I may ask for critiques while a character's arc is ongoing, as long as someone has offered to do so.
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

Aura
Winner
Aura
Winner

September 10th, 2016, 9:03 am #12

Bart listened to Jennifer from his position, still mired in his own misery. She brought up what he was pretty sure they had all thought at least once since waking up: the government should be aware of what's going on. They should have at least some idea of the terrorists' plans or M.O. It's already happened multiple times in the past, so why was it still going on?

"I thought they were supposed to have it under control." Bart included himself in the conversation once Jennifer seemed to reach a pause. "I mean, it's been years, so I thought that they'd figured it out. You know, how they could stop the terrorists." He sighed again, noting that he seemed to be doing that a lot as of late. "But... then it happened again. I don't know why."

Bart moved his leg from side to side, letting the heel of his shoe drag along the ground. "I don't know why it hasn't stopped. I don't even know why they're doing this in the first place." Little by little, his voice was getting louder as he went on. "I don't understand anything. I can't do anything. All I can do is just sit here and wait!" He was visibly surprised by how loud he became at the end of his short rant, and quickly hung his head once again. His voice dropped to a barely audible mumble as he had one more thing to add.

"I should've just stayed home..."

[+] spoiler
v5 Characters:

B029- Matt Masters- DECEASED (114/152)

B043- Adonis Alba- DECEASED (124/152)

G051- Stacey Mordetsky- DECEASED (136/152)

General Goose
Winner

September 11th, 2016, 3:31 am #13

Kizi listened, but really, there was nothing new to add, nothing new to say. They were all going over the events of the past few hours. Looking for who to blame, looking for morsels of hope, looking for some kind of rationalisation or justification or opportunity. Maybe she was projecting. That was what she was doing, after all. But what else was there? Casual smalltalk? She couldn't do that. She couldn't see how, at least for these first few tender moments, such conversation was conceivable.

She had her own demons, staring her right in the face. Her mother, her poor mother. She had faced so much, gone through so much trauma, climbed so many adversarial obstacles, all in the hope of securing a more stable upbringing for her children. And that had all been torn asunder. Kizi knew that this was not her mother's fault, not in even a convoluted or minuscule way. But she knew her mother, and knew her mother would be tearing herself apart at the news. The loss of her daughter would only further sting by the conviction that it may have been her fault.

But she did not voice that out loud. Did not want to detract from their own personal battles.

Instead, her mind went to the first comparison she could think of. She knew little about prior SOTF events. Well, not strictly true. But she knew what every fearful American schoolchild knew. No more, no less. Her mind went elsewhere, and without thinking, the thoughts soon came out of her mouth.

"In Chibok last year, Nigeria, there was that whole thing with Boko Haram abducting 276 girls from their school during an exam." She paused. It was a case close to her heart. Such atrocities always caught her sympathies, and it being in her country of birth added another sharp sting of pain. They were always prominent in her mind. "That Bring Back our Girls campaign, that was about that. They went into a school, posing as guards. Said everyone needed to be evacuated. It's just...so similar to what's happening here. They forced the girls into marriages, sex slavery, that kind of thing. It's just...it's just such a common tool of evil these days."

Perhaps she should have lied. Added a happy ending. A glimmer of hope, that the means of finding lost kids had progressed considerably since the last SOTF attack. But such a lie did not even occur to her. Instead, she realised she had shared another anecdote, another miserable reminder of the tragedy of their situation, without a point in mind. The most upbeat note she could end things on was barely upbeat at all. "The rest of the world has seen this kind of thing too. There's solidarity here. There's sharing of methods, of technology. Maybe it can help us out here?"
V7 peeps:
Nick Ogilvie
Ashlynn Martinek
Bill Winlock
Camille Bellegarde

V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd

KamiKaze
Winner

September 16th, 2016, 10:45 am #14

That’s right. 276 girls were abducted from a school in Nigeria. And then they went through such horror. What was worse was, most of them were still missing, if she remembered correctly. A year. A year had passed, and they still weren’t saved.

A chill went up and down Jennifer’s spine. If it took more than a year to solve that, a week would be a stretch here. Would it? She didn’t want to give up hope so soon.

She wasn’t sure about what to say to that, or to Bart’s sobs. She wanted to go home, she wanted to graduate, she wanted to live. Jennifer pulled her arms tighter around herself. Yes, she was angry, but to be honest… she was also shaken. Never did she think she’d have to deal with something like this. She didn’t want to cry, but she did feel her skin tremble.

“Technology?” she said. “Maybe collars like ours... well, they had to have been made somewhere, right? Even if they made them… they still ordered the supplies. And maybe that could…”

She wasn’t sure where she was going with that.

Aside from explosives, metal, and whatever else it took to make a collar, they would have had to order food, weapons, and other materials en masse. No matter how, it could have raised suspicions with anyone they bought from. It might have distinctive features, too. It was obvious it had been previously inhabited, so someone could recognize it from footage.

But would that help? They could wonder about ways they could be saved all day, but it wouldn’t change anything unless they actually did get rescued.

Something interrupted Jennifer’s thoughts, and her head snapped up at the sound. At first, she had no idea what the hell it could be. Her head turned, looking for the source. It sounded like it was some ways away. Not too distant, but still a walk’s away. Then she realized what it could be. She did see a map, but she only looked at it briefly. However, it was possible there was a belfry here. That definitely sounded like someone ringing a bell, at least.

Jennifer frowned.

“You hear that?” she whispered. “What the hell does someone think they’re doing?”

It had to be a belfry. What would the point of ringing a bell here, though?
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."
[+] spoiler

Alexandria "Alex" Ripley- Female Student #002- Sometimes your life is meant to be a warning to others.

....?
[+] spoiler
For v6, I have come to a decision. To help lessen character pimping, I have vowed not to talk about my characters, any characters closely related to mine, or any threads I've been involved in, in any of the following places:

- Chat
- TV Tropes
- Random Thoughts

I am not allowing myself to talk about anything relating to my characters or scenes I'm in unless they are brought up in conversation by another handler. I am not allowed to use my characters' names OOC or mention anything relating to that character until another handler mentions them. This is not currently in effect for pre-game; these self-imposed rules do not apply until v6 starts. However, they will be in effect the second v6 is announced. When one of my characters die, escape, or are otherwise removed from the game, these rules are lifted for that character, and I am free to talk about that character as much as I want. However, the others will have to wait until they too are out of the game.

This is a personal promise I'm keeping to myself for v6. If I break it, please feel free to bitch me out.

-KamiKaze

Addendum as of v6: I may ask for critiques while a character's arc is ongoing, as long as someone has offered to do so.
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

Aura
Winner
Aura
Winner

September 16th, 2016, 9:25 pm #15

Kiziah bringing up the Boko Haram attacks did nothing to make Bart feel better. In fact, it did the opposite. All it did was remind him about how this wasn't just some isolated incident, and SOTF weren't the only ones doing this kind of thing. That made Bart feel far worse. Not for himself, but for the state of the world in general.

Bart picked himself up off the ground. He didn't want to be in this room anymore. All of the pictures scattered on the ground in a destroyed setting... it hurt him to see work ruined like that. Even if they were just casual paintings made over the course of an afternoon, they were still art. It reminded him of his sketches back at home. He wouldn't want to see those scattered all over the floor, and he was starting to envision that the longer he stayed around.

He was going to announce his intentions to the girls, but was beat to the punch by a bell ringing somewhere in the distance. His head jerked around for a few moments as he tried to figure out where it came from, eventually staring in the direction of the noise. He hadn't checked his map before, so he didn't know whether there was a church or a town hall or whatever other sort of building would have a bell on it nearby. There had to be, unless the terrorists were playing a joke on them by pumping the sound through a loudspeaker or something. That would have been pointless, but Bart could imagine the terrorists trying to mess with them like that.

"I think they're trying to call people over." He said, still looking where he had heard the chime. "I dunno if they're trying to find some friends, or... you know..." His voice faltered as he thought about the other reason why someone in this situation would try to draw people closer to them. He took a short step back as the mental image firmly implanted itself in his brain.

"I don't think we should follow it."

[+] spoiler
v5 Characters:

General Goose
Winner

September 19th, 2016, 7:39 am #16

Kizi was always awful at words of comfort, and at least that hadn't changed. She was still Kizi. Still completely guileless and witless, still in possession of the wisdom and acumen of a dead squid, still completely blind to social graces and proper protocols, yet not so blind that she couldn't see it. She looked down, at the artwork on the floor, perhaps in some vain hope that might inspire a burst of renewed confidence. Art was beautiful, inspirational, a reminder of the goodness in humanity.

And it had been torn and crumpled and vandalised by the terrorists. Just another reminder of how shit they were. Couldn't they at least have cleared the island of personal effects? Returned things home to their families? Allowed them to send a final video message back home? Any one of those simple gestures would have added some humanity to their conduct. Like offering a convicted prisoner a last meal. Still made the fate horrible, didn't relieve them of the burden of the acts of evil they were committing, but made things a bit more palatable.

Nope. Instead, the responsibility of softening the blow, of seeking silver linings, had been left to the kids themselves. And in Kizi's case, it was an act of niceness she wanted to do. Make things a little easier. Reduce the suffering a little bit. But she was unqualified.

She should have kept her mouth shut. She nodded as Jennifer brought up technology. Far more positive. Far more believable. A far more productive line of belief.

But then the bell rung, and Kizi immediately found herself having the wrong idea. She knew it was the wrong idea. Bart's caution was right. She looked down. Bit her lip. Waited a second before speaking. "I think we should." She decided not to elaborate her reasons why. For her sake and for their sake. They were probably grounded in some unspoken pessimism, some defeatist melancholy, that justified even the most illogical of risks. Best not to engage in that.
V7 peeps:
Nick Ogilvie
Ashlynn Martinek
Bill Winlock
Camille Bellegarde

V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd

KamiKaze
Winner

September 23rd, 2016, 9:05 am #17

Bart was right, or at least Jennifer agreed with him. It could be someone trying to call others over. But for what purpose, it could be any number of things. Someone could be trying to find some allies, or at least someone useful. They could be a killer. She wasn’t sure if people were killing already, and she didn’t want to know. What if someone could be banking on the idea that someone would come over and investigate? Then they’d… do what was asked.

Of course, if they heard it, other people probably did too. All kinds of people. The naïve, the curious, the scared… and the dangerous. Panicked people and murderous people just wasn’t something she wanted to deal with- especially if they had weapons and were potentially in a crowded place.

“No,” Jennifer snapped, but recomposed herself. She tried again, her voice quieter. “No. I don’t think it’s a good idea. If we heard it, others did too. If someone with a gun showed up and wanted to use it, well…”

She continued to wrap her arms around herself in thought.

“It might be good to figure out if we’re staying here or heading elsewhere, though.”
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
[+] spoiler

....?
[+] spoiler

- Chat
- TV Tropes
- Random Thoughts

-KamiKaze

Aura
Winner
Aura
Winner

September 26th, 2016, 6:34 pm #18

They had a split decision on their hands. Bart and Jennifer wanted to stay away from the bells, while Kizi wanted to investigate. Bart was absolutely not planning on changing his stance on the issue anytime soon. There was no way of knowing who rang the bell, much less what their plans were. True, there really wasn't any choice they could make that could really be deemed safe, but he would rather not take the risk of walking into what could very well be a trap as far as he knew.

Jennifer had brought up the issue of whether they should stick around the art room or go elsewhere. Just like the previous scenario, Bart had already made up his mind. The scattered, ruined paintings that littered the room were making him immensely uncomfortable, and he wanted to leave, preferably very soon.

"I vote to leave." He called, trying to make sure his voice was heard. "I don't wanna stick around here."

[+] spoiler
v5 Characters:

General Goose
Winner

September 27th, 2016, 2:55 pm #19

Kizi seemed to have the minority opinion. Probably for the best, she realised now, with a second's contemplation. It was in all likelihood a trap, done to lure in the gullible, the credulous, the unsuspecting and the naively curious. If anyone was to fall into that category without outside intervention, it would be Kizi. She smiled at both Bart and Jennifer in turn, a tacit admission that yes, perhaps, they were right.

It would definitely be the height of selfishness to try to further convince them to join her on this little suicide mission. They were right, probably. Her internal instincts to follow the sound weren't budging, but hey, hopefully what little logical prowess she did possess would prevail.

She bent down to her bag - ignoring the shotgun - and pulled out the map. "Well, uh, staying here is definitely a bad idea. Because it puts us right in the path of any violent people heading towards the bell tower. That's bad."
V7 peeps:
Nick Ogilvie
Ashlynn Martinek
Bill Winlock
Camille Bellegarde

V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd

KamiKaze
Winner

September 30th, 2016, 10:09 am #20

Alright, so no staying here, then. Jennifer didn’t mind that all that much. It wasn’t that bad in here, the ransacked and decrepit feel aside. But Bart was clearly starting to get uncomfortable. Maybe it was the room itself, maybe it was the situation. Maybe he didn’t like being here, being an artist himself. No matter the reason, he didn’t like staying here. That was obvious. It was probably a good idea to get going, anyways. It was okay right now, but later, when it’s night time? Colder? Probably not a good idea.

“Right,” she said. “We should get going.”

Jennifer lifted herself up, soothing out her skirt once more. She still silently cursed her decision to wear a skirt and heels. It might, might, be a good idea to find some better clothes and shoes somehow. But alas, she got another reminder of her decision as her shoes clicked against the floor with each step she took towards the table once again.

“Where should we head to? Ideas?” she asked as she lifted the bag off the table, sliding the strap over her shoulder.

Kiziah had a good point she hadn’t realized before. If some degenerate came by to investigate the sound, they were right in the path for that. Again, Jennifer hadn’t checked the map much as of yet, but there was a good chance that, if they were nearby, a classmate with murderous intentions could come by and look into the room.

But something else got her attention as Kiziah looked at the map. When Jennifer noticed something nearby the bag, her eyes locked onto it.

She had another question.

“Kiziah,” she added. “Did you get a gun?”

She wasn’t sure what to think about that.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
[+] spoiler

....?
[+] spoiler

- Chat
- TV Tropes
- Random Thoughts

-KamiKaze