It Looks Good on Paper

KamiKaze
Winner

January 19th, 2014, 9:08 pm #1

((Lana Torres continued from The Sound a Sloth Makes))

The weather had cleared up since yesterday. Not by much, but enough where it didn't look as dreary as before. Ever since this morning, the sun had peeked out a bit, making things a little brighter. It was definitely a step-up from yesterday. As Lana looked out the window of the store she was in, she felt a little better than she was before. Not by much, of course, but something much more pleasant. If she had to guess, it was afternoon now, and hopefully the weather would still be that good until nighttime.

But they had to keep looking. There had to be something inside these buildings.

They had found themselves inside some kind of town again. This time, though, it looked run-down. Well, a lot more run-down than when they last visited a set of buildings. Lana had seen a fair amount of buildings that seriously needed upkeep before, but not to this level. The streets had been littered with strips of paper, and cars had been permanently parked and broken down alongside the roads. The streetlights weren't better, either, with the shattered glass that remained of bulbs. They had decided to look inside the stores to see if anything was there. So far, they hadn't found much, but it was worth a shot. As much a shot as the fish were, at least.

Lana gently gripped the notebook they had found. No pen, unfortunately, but it was a step up. It had been laying inside one of the shops, inside a drawer in the front desk, and while it was a little water-logged and warped, it seemed to still be feasible. If anything, it seemed to be embarrassingly girly. The pages were a faded pink, and on the hard cover a pegasus was in mid-flight. Lana had found herself recalling the notebooks and stationary girls used to have when she went to elementary, with their vibrant colors and rainbow animals. It was something she would normally not be caught dead with unless it were something like the current My Little Pony, but it would do for the time being.

If anything, it was an improvement. Lana had thought multiple times how she would have liked to have some pen and paper. Sometimes it was hard for her and Stephanie to talk, since the terrorists had taken her hearing aids. Words couldn't describe the relief she had when she had found it, girlish appearance and all. The only real problem was obvious: finding a pen or something similar.

They searched through the shops a bit more, and eventually stumbled on what appeared to be a set of apartments. She had been hesitant to go in, but it was at least a look. The graffiti on the walls didn't comfort her much, nor did the cement walls. But eventually, she couldn't help it. They had to go inside. Just a quick look, and they'll go. She didn't like how the outsides looked, but just a peek at them wouldn't hurt.

The two of them were currently now in some kind of reception area, probably where the landlords and such worked. There had to be an answer to the pen question in there, make no mistake about that. Lana found herself pulling at drawers again, looking for something to write with. So far, though, no luck.

Light from the entrance still beamed in, giving them plenty of light to work with. The sounds of them moving around objects filled the air. It was close to impossible for the terrorists to-

Just as she opened that one bottom drawer, she saw a long thin black object. It was very unmistakable, but Lana had to pick it up to be absolutely certain.

A pen.

She placed the notebook on the desk, eyes filled with hope. It had to be tested, to see if it would actually work. Her hands flipped open to the nearest blank page. With the pen, she swiftly shook it and drew a scribbling motion on the page. Lana felt further relief. The pen took only a moment to work.

She decided to write something down for Stephanie to say something to her.

"It's not Rainbow Dash, but it'll do", she wrote.

After lifting the notebook and pen, Lana looked up, and said aloud "Steph?"

It was a little louder than what she intended. But she didn't care. Really, she was smiling right now. At least things were looking up for now. They hadn't found food or such, but they found something to write with. That was a pretty good improvement, all things considered.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."
[+] spoiler
In Loving Memory Of Those Killed In The 2008 SOTF
Carol Burke- Female Student #015- A good friend.
Remy Kim- Male Student #080- Yet another victim of the system.
Aileen Borden- Female Student #022- It's going to be okay.

In Loving Memory Of Those Killed In The 2012 SOTF
Alexandria "Alex" Ripley- Female Student #002- Sometimes your life is meant to be a warning to others.
Lana Torres- Female Student #039- Technically, she died happy.
Miranda Millers- Female Student #019- Doomed by self-fulfilling prophecy.

In Loving Memory of Those Killed in the 2015 SOTF
Jennifer Wallace- Female Student #055- Good night, and good luck.
Junko Kurosawa- Female Student #041- Experienced a thrill to die for.
Emma Luz- Female Student #022- Sweet dreams.

....?
Anna Chase- Female Student #010- And then she lived happily ever after.
[+] spoiler
For v6, I have come to a decision. To help lessen character pimping, I have vowed not to talk about my characters, any characters closely related to mine, or any threads I've been involved in, in any of the following places:

- Chat
- General Discussion thread
- TV Tropes
- Random Thoughts

I am not allowing myself to talk about anything relating to my characters or scenes I'm in unless they are brought up in conversation by another handler. I am not allowed to use my characters' names OOC or mention anything relating to that character until another handler mentions them. This is not currently in effect for pre-game; these self-imposed rules do not apply until v6 starts. However, they will be in effect the second v6 is announced. When one of my characters die, escape, or are otherwise removed from the game, these rules are lifted for that character, and I am free to talk about that character as much as I want. However, the others will have to wait until they too are out of the game.

This is a personal promise I'm keeping to myself for v6. If I break it, please feel free to bitch me out.

-KamiKaze

Addendum as of v6: I may ask for critiques while a character's arc is ongoing, as long as someone has offered to do so.
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

Rocky
Contender

January 20th, 2014, 7:45 pm #2

Stephanie Chan continued from The Sound a Sloth Makes ))

In some ways, it was nice to be back inside. Ever since leaving the hotel, the two had spent most of it outside. Stephanie was never one for the outdoors. As soon as the announcements came on, informing them of the new danger zones, they were able to head back into civilization. They had a goal, one that they had partially succeeded in. Walking through the streets, she couldn't help but smile whenever she saw the pad of paper they had found. She remembered having something very similar back when she was five or six. Now they just needed something to write with.

The apartment building they were in was definitely in rough shape, but it was still a sight for sore eyes. Upon entering, they found themselves in the front lobby, and Lana immediately went to see if she could find any pens. Stephanie decided to wander down the adjacent hallway a bit, seeing if any of the doors would open. The first one she tried was locked, as was the second. Just as she got to the third one, she heard Lana call for her. It had been awhile since she had heard her friend sound so happy, so she could only assume that she had found a pen.

Walking down the hallway back to the lobby, She smiled again as she saw Lana, pen in hand. Stephanie walked next to her friend, looking at what she had written on the notepad. She had to suppress a small giggle as she took the pen from Lana's hand and scribbled something down on the paper.

" Beggars can't be choosers." She looked around momentarily before she began writing again. "So what do we do now?"

KamiKaze
Winner

January 21st, 2014, 5:58 am #3

Within a few seconds, Stephanie had come back, a smile on her face after seeing the pen in her hand. It was really a lucky break that they had found these supplies.

Once Lana had shown her the paper, she giggled a bit at what had been written down, and started writing back. When she had the notebook and pen again, she read the response.

A pause. What could they do? She didn't feel like sticking around in the apartments that much. There might still be a bit of extra food laying around, but would any of it last for that long out in the open? Lana doubted it. There could possibly be other supplies that could be good. Extra pens, more paper, maybe something that could be used as an extra weapon. However, Lana still was a little creeped out by this place. It was exactly the sort of place where people got shot, in her opinion. Well, not in apartment front lobbies normally, but you never know, especially on an island filled with killers.. On the other hand, it was a little better to be indoors for the first time since... what? The hotel? Yeah, that was probably it.

Really, there were a lot of advantages to staying inside, come to think of it. It could rain again, for example. While things seemed to have cleared up a bit, there still seemed to be another chance of rain. If it did, at least there would be a way to stay out of the weather. Looking for shelter before it rained yesterday hadn't exactly been pleasant.

Lana thought for a few seconds, and began writing.

"The way I see it, there are several options. Option A would be to keep looking since there is possibly something else in here that we might need. Option B is to head on out of the buiilding and find someplace to lay low. Option C, we stay in here and hope no one finds us. Ideas?"

To be honest, she was tapped out of ideas herself, and those were the only ones that came to mind.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."
[+] spoiler

Alexandria "Alex" Ripley- Female Student #002- Sometimes your life is meant to be a warning to others.

....?
[+] spoiler
For v6, I have come to a decision. To help lessen character pimping, I have vowed not to talk about my characters, any characters closely related to mine, or any threads I've been involved in, in any of the following places:

- Chat
- TV Tropes
- Random Thoughts

I am not allowing myself to talk about anything relating to my characters or scenes I'm in unless they are brought up in conversation by another handler. I am not allowed to use my characters' names OOC or mention anything relating to that character until another handler mentions them. This is not currently in effect for pre-game; these self-imposed rules do not apply until v6 starts. However, they will be in effect the second v6 is announced. When one of my characters die, escape, or are otherwise removed from the game, these rules are lifted for that character, and I am free to talk about that character as much as I want. However, the others will have to wait until they too are out of the game.

This is a personal promise I'm keeping to myself for v6. If I break it, please feel free to bitch me out.

-KamiKaze

Addendum as of v6: I may ask for critiques while a character's arc is ongoing, as long as someone has offered to do so.
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

Rocky
Contender

January 23rd, 2014, 5:38 am #4

Stephanie read the options, mulling them over in her own mind. None of the options seemed particularly appealing, since any of them could lead into unfavourable positions. They had a pad of paper and a pen, so there didn't seem to be much reason to keep looking, though how long the pen would last was anyone's guess. Even so, the lobby was rather open which didn't sit well with her. Leaving this place and trying to find somewhere else meant that they would be on the move again, something that she was beginning to get used to at this point. As grim as it was, but Stephanie actually felt like she was kind of starting to get in shape with all the walking she'd had to do. Staying was also a somewhat favourable option, so long as they could find an apartment door that wasn't locked.

Finally, she took the pen and started writing. "Any of those options seems like a good one." Pausing for a moment, she tried to figure out how to put what she was going to say next into words. "I think we have enough paper and a pen for now, so I'm not sure staying here would be the best move. At least we're inside."

Placing the pen down on the desk, she stood. Looking back down the hallway she had been inspecting. She'd only managed to try a couple doors but they had been locked or jammed through misuse or something. Lana was much stronger than her, so maybe she could force one of the doors open. Before Lana could respond to what she had written, Stephanie grabbed the pen again and began writing a quick note.

"It'd be nice to sleep in a bed again at the very least."

KamiKaze
Winner

January 23rd, 2014, 8:00 am #5

Stephanie seemed to be at a loss as well. All of them seemed good and yet not so good. Really, each had its benefits and setbacks, which was the problem. They had enough pen and paper for the time being, and the lobby was more than a little open. Maybe deeper into the apartments, or another building, that was safer. They hadn't checked the state of the rooms yet. She imagined they smelled musty, like unwashed sheets. It would be far from the best place to sleep, but honestly it was a step up from... pretty much everywhere they had slept since they woke up on the island.

A bed. That would be nice.

Lana bit her lip, thinking some more. As she took the pen back from Stephanie, she thought a bit more about what she wanted to do.

"Sleeping in a bed would be nice. Did you see anything in the hallways that would be a nice place to spend the night? Rooms and such? Beds would be just as much an improvement."

What else could she say? She thought of something else to write down.

"If we don't pick this building, there are others that might be good. But we might need to take a further look."
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
[+] spoiler

....?
[+] spoiler

- Chat
- TV Tropes
- Random Thoughts

-KamiKaze

Rocky
Contender

January 26th, 2014, 9:20 pm #6

"The doors I tried were locked, but maybe we'll find one that isn't. Couldn't hurt trying." Stephanie wrote on the paper before looking around.

There was a couple hallways on either side, with a number of doors. Surely at least one of them would be unlocked? If they could get into one of the rooms the place would be low key enough for them to hide out for at least a little while. There was enough buildings and rooms around here that the chances of someone finding their specific room seemed rather slim. It's not like they had much to lose right now in checking.

Turning back to the pad, Stephanie began writing again. "At least we have an easier way to communicate now : )"

Putting the pen down, she motioned that she was going to go down the hallway, to see if she could find an open door. Hopefully one of them would open, though she had a feeling that it wouldn't be so easy. Either way, she wanted to try before writing off this particular building right away.

KamiKaze
Winner

January 27th, 2014, 6:18 am #7

Locked? That was unusual. It seemed as if the people who lived here before were in a rush. Lana shuddered to think of what could be hiding behind that door, then. The papers on the street spoke of an evacuation, as if something happened. What if people had decided to lock themselves in before, and once they opened they would see... what was left? That was a morbid thought. As if the bodies of their classmates weren't bad enough. Hopefully the knobs and hinges were just rusted shut or something like that. The other option wasn't all that good.

Lana smiled at the second note from Stephanie. She agreed, the pen and paper were definitely a boon. It was highly fortunate to find both in a short period of time. It was really honestly what she had hoped for, that they didn't clear out all the paper and writing utensils. It would have been impossible for them to.

Stephanie motioned that she was going down the hallway, and Lana nodded. Maybe she could help with that?

Lana walked over to the entrance, picking up her bag from where she left it, just in case. And slowly, she made her way down the hallway. As she fumbled with the doors, she couldn't help but notice the other option was true: at least part of the doors were rusted shut. Even if Lana were one of the stronger students, she couldn't pull the hinges open. It didn't help that there were a few flies hovering in the air, but she couldn't figure out where they were coming from.

Eventually, though, the knob to one door turned. Not easily, and Lana had to put a bit more strength into it. But like a magic word, the door opened with a loud creak, revealing a living room. From what she could tell, there was a ratted sofa, a coffee table, and what appeared to be a likely outdated television.

Lana smiled again.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
[+] spoiler

....?
[+] spoiler

- Chat
- TV Tropes
- Random Thoughts

-KamiKaze

Rocky
Contender

January 27th, 2014, 6:57 am #8

The loud creak of the door caught Stephanie's attention. She turned around to see Lana smiling, one of the doors flung open. Stephanie sigh, happy that she was able to find something in here. Even if they didn't end up staying here, the fact that the doors could be opened was a good sign. Walking to the door, she took a few tentative steps in, leaving Lana in the hallway as she looked around. It wasn't much to look at, and everything was practically falling apart from disuse, but it was honest to goodness civilization in that room. There might be some danger with mold or vermin or something, but realistically with the amount of time they had left she doubted that would end up being what killed them in the end.

She took the pen and paper from Lana, and began writing. "It's not home, but it's better than the outside. I think we could afford a day or two in here. Figure out what to do next." She handed the materials back to Lana before looking in the room a bit more.

The living room itself wasn't too bad. They had enough stuff that they could use to barricade the door, assuming anyone else thought to try the doors seeing how rusted they were. She doubted there was anything in the kitchen, and the small bedroom shooting off of the living room had a decent sized bed, large enough for the two to comfortably share. Everything seemed to be going their way. She returned to the doorway, waiting to see if Lana had anything else to say about the place.

KamiKaze
Winner

January 27th, 2014, 8:34 am #9

Stephanie thought that it was much better than outside, and Lana agreed. There was a weird smell to the room, from what she could tell from where she stood in the hallway, but not too terrible. The sofa probably wasn't too unbearable to sleep on, and there was most likely a bed. The thoughts of something soft to sleep on cheered Lana up further. The television obviously wasn't going to work, but at least there was a roof over their heads and someplace comfortable to sleep. She could live without television for a while longer, anyways.

After handing the pen and paper back to her, Stephanie stepped into the room a bit more, looking deeper into it. Lana, however, found herself staying in the hallway. It seemed doubtful that someone would be waiting for them inside the room, but she wanted to hear what Stephanie said about it.

Maybe she should step inside, though, see everything for herself. Probably the better option, but Lana found herself wanting to stay in the hallway a bit longer. It couldn't hurt too much, in her opinion.

A quick time later, she came back. Lana had been writing again, and handed it back to her.

From what I can tell, it seems like a major improvement from where we've slept before. A little weird smelling and disused, but we'll be fine. How are the other rooms? There's most likely a bedroom or two.

Lana was sure it would be a fine place to sleep. Just a little odd, nothing really all that dangerous or unpleasant, especially in comparison to what they had dealt with before.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
[+] spoiler

....?
[+] spoiler

- Chat
- TV Tropes
- Random Thoughts

-KamiKaze

Rocky
Contender

January 27th, 2014, 8:50 am #10

"There's a kitchen and a bedroom, probably a bathroom attached in there. Looks like this place was meant for one person." Stephanie wrote down, tapping the pen against the page as she thought.

She couldn't stop herself from smiling. After everything that had happened in the last few days, all the death and the hate and the rain and lord knows what else, someone somewhere decided to give them a break. They found a place out of the elements, and out of the way. Sure, she didn't doubt that people would try and find shelter like they did, but this building alone probably had a good hundred or so apartments, and it wasn't exactly the only building in the area. They would be alright here, as long as they didn't make any unnecessary noise or use any unnecessary light. Between the two of them they could probably move the couch against the door, and since they were on the first floor they could always escape out a window or something if it came down to it.

Once they had everything settled, they could figure out what to do. Both of them were known quantities, and no doubt had people out to get them. Staying off the radar for a day or so might help, plus with their new communication tool they would be able to better plot out their course of action. Ideally they would be able to avoid any confrontation at all costs, but the chances of that were slim at best. Which meant they would have to be ready to protect themselves and each other. Stephanie was ready to do whatever it took. She just hoped Lana would be the same.

"We should be safe here for at least a day or two, I say we should stay."