Me last year wrote:Hopefully I dont turn into complete visual novel trash next year!
- [+] Spoiler
- Games Completed in 2017:
- Win The Game (2/1/17) - Cool little Battle Royale simulator! Although the game is
pretty easily breakable once you play it enough times and figure out AI and although I feel the only two winnable pathways are "escape the island" or "be literally Kiriyama" I liked it enough other than that, and I view it as probably the game that most accurately catches the Battle Royale experience - much more than games like PUBG or Fortnite do.
- The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (5/1/17) - I'm just glad I've 100% Isaac so that I never have to play this goddamn game again.
- Life is Strange (7/1/17) - I'm
genuinely surprised I finished this game in 2017. Probably the best Telltale-esque walking/choice making simulator I've played, and aside from Episode 3 being
considerably less good than the other episodes and the issue with the ending I genuinely don't have that many troubles with the game.
- Umineko: When The Seagulls Cry - Ch.4: Alliance of the Golden Witch (16/1/17) - I like it, and I think it works well as a finale for the Question Arcs, although I wish that there was more time spent on a particular character and I wish that there weren't, like, a thousand flashbacks dumped right into the middle of the episode - having those be spread out more evenly throughout the episode probably would have made the pacing a whole lot better..
- Our Home (7/4/17) - I also forgot that I played this game in 2017 despite the fact that this game was released in 2017. Anyway, I liked the game enough when I played it and got a good ending, although when I joined the studio and got the chance to read through the bad endings (dev privilege) it sorta made me like the game more realizing how badly you can fuck things up for the family.
- Prom Dreams: A High School Love Story (17/6/17) - It's
probably best that I just give this a general rec while saying nothing else about the game. Cool twists on
what are probably standard harem plots and archetypes and probably one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a video game. Check it out. It's free, so all you'll lose if you don't like it is your time.
- The Yawhg (27/6/2017) - Unironically the best party game to play with friends.
- Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (28/6/17) - Probably my favourite out of the Shovel Knight campaigns? Admittedly I don't remember a ton about it but I found railgrinding and the sense of momentum Specter Knight had super fun.
- Party Hard (5/7/2017) - Fun stealth game! Admittedly I feel its a lot harder than it needs to be but it's fun wantonly cutting people up.
- Life is Strange: Before the Storm (Episode 1: Awake) (24/9/17) - Probably the biggest pleasant surprise of the year, for me - I was initially really, really skeptical about whether the prequel would be good or not but the first episode managed to convince me that the game as a whole would be good and gave me an experience pretty comparable with some of the first game's episodes, to me.
- Doki Doki Literature Club (9/10/17) - I like it enough, and I appreciate what it tries to do, but there's one particular scene in the game that I absolutely cannot emotionally get past and I really, really think it drags my experience and the rest of the game down for me. Best advice I can give for those who haven't played it is to absolutely adhere to the content warnings. Seriously. They're there for a reason.
- Hustle Cat (31/10/17) - Admittedly it's sorta way too short (I cleared the first route I did in three hours, and that's including the common route) but I'm low-key super into some of the things the game does and it managed to make me view it as an inspiration for future internal VN projects, so good for Hustle Cat, I guess.
- No Time To Explain Remastered (20/11/17) - Y'know, you'd imagine that it would sorta be a given that a game that advertises it on its unique control system/sense of momentum/physics would have, like, a good control system and sense of momentum/physics but I guess there are always exceptions that prove the rule?
- Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (8/12/17) - Like the story, and it's admittedly super cool that I'm finally able to play these games after all these years, but admittedly I think the actual gameplay/minigames sorta need some proper refining.
- The Stanley Parable (9/12/17) - This is
sorta hard to talk about. Short is that I like it and its writing pretty unconditionally, but I can't really elaborate on why so? Iunno. It's good. That's really what I need to say here.
- Life is Strange: Before the Storm (Episode 2: Brave New World) (11/12/17) - Good, although I wouldn't say this episode hit the same highs the first episode did and it sorta shows that Chloe isn't as good as a conduit for the player than Max is - she's sorta too established as her own character to the point where the player's choice can get muddied or outright ignored because of her own actions, which as someone who wants to try and make the right choice every time was a significant issue for me whenever I tried to be nice or sympathetic and got met by Chloe acting like a jackass and ruining it. Still excited for when I get to play the final episode, though.
- Marble Blast Gold (19/12/17) - existential pain
- Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator (22/12/17) - Probably like, the most aesthetically pleasing VN I've played, which is good. Also super, super into the character customization system. It's a little short, but there's enough in each route (or at least, the routes I've played) for it to not be as much as a problem here as it is for Hustle Cat.
- Mighty No. 9 (27/12/17) - It's better than nothing.
yeah. That was my 2017 for video games. Only 19 this time around, which isn't all that great of a number. Oh well. Odds are 2018 will end up better for me in terms of games anyway - school ending gives me more time to focus on games and with my new laptop and PS3 I'll be able to play a ton of stuff I wanted to but didn't have the capability to do so before, so yeah! Happy new year, everyone! May 2018 be better off than the previous years were.