Fear

A single hangar supports all of the aircraft for the airport. While it was once full, it now holds nothing more than a few rusted chassis. The big metal door that serves as the main entrance to the hangar is unable to close all the way thanks to deterioration of the rails it slides on. There is a small emergency exit door in the back. The exterior of the airport consists of a large, grass airfield and an airstrip with a few rusted planes parked on them. Both are adjacent to each other and completely devoid of debris or vehicles aside from the half dozen decrepit planes.

Fear

Courtography
Leader

June 18th, 2013, 12:36 am #1

(Kelly Peterson continued from Anger)

The sun had gone down about an hour before. Kelly wasn't very happy about that. The hangar where she and Darren had planned just to rest for a bit after their hike away from the lagoon had now turned into an overnight shelter.

She had scratches along her arms from when she had fallen scaling the slopes, but those were bandaged and not what really bothered her now.

What was bothering her was how creepy the hangar was in the dark. Sure, she and Darren had flashlights, but she didn't see any replacement batteries, and who knew when hers would run out? She didn't like it still, the flashlight didn't illuminate that much, and she still had to see the rusted planes in front of her, just sitting there, abandoned.

It made her wonder where the people had gone.

She didn't want to wonder about it though, as ideas came into her head, each worse than the last. Maybe the people were evacuated after a tsunami and just never came back, or maybe their kidnappers had just killed them all.

Just like they had killed her teachers.

She pulled her knees to her chest as she sat on the cold hangar floor. These weren't the thoughts she wanted to have.

JamesRenard
Leader

June 18th, 2013, 10:54 pm #2

((Darren Fox continued from Anger))

The two students hadn't run into anyone since departing the lagoon, and that had been quite a surprise to Darren. There were well over a hundred kids on the school trip, so he imagined that they'd run into at least one of them sooner or later. It was quite a disappointment, but it was also a bit of a relief; while they hadn't found someone to help think up a plan, they hadn't fallen foul of anyone who was actually doing the unthinkable. Which should be next to no one, hopefully.

Darren checked his watch, the hands of which glowed with a faint luminescence in the darkness, and saw it was approaching ten o'clock. He'd been up for around thirteen hours, but it felt like much more time had passed since he first woke up. Wow, thirteen hours. I've actually survived for over half the first day. How did I manage to not get killed straight away?. He sighed loudly and rested his back against the wall, taking deep breaths to try and ward off the tiredness that plagued his mind. He'd been walking for quite a while, and that combined with the heat of the day had left him feeling completely drained. It was cooler now that the sun had set, though, and both he and Kelly had a place to rest for the night. That much Darren was thankful for.

His flashlight lay on the ground before him, switched on and illuminating the area of the hangar immediately ahead of him. His and Kelly's flashlights were the only sources of light, so a lot of the building remained shrouded in darkness. It was kind of creepy, especially with the rusting planes, but they were alone as far as Darren was aware. He couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary - no footsteps, no gunshots, no screaming.

Darren suddenly yawned, quite noisily as well.

"Sorry," he apologised and turned to Kelly. "Starting to run a bit low here. I'm trying to keep awake and keep watch... just not sure if I'm doing a great job of it."
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V5. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

V5 Characters
B006: Darren Fox - Weapon(s): Lego "Creator" bucket /// Status: ALIVE /// Current location: Meltdown (Nuclear Plant - The Reactors)
Thread chain: O | O=O=O | O=O=

B030: Luca Johanssen - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Leap of Faith (Northern Coast - The Zipline Attraction) /// Rank: 134/152
Thread chain: O | O=O
[+] spoiler
Sandra Ortega: Daughter of a teacher, sister of a delinquent, wants to succeed

[+] spoiler
G109: Miranda Merchant - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Hearing is Believing (The Woods: Inland) /// Rank: 227/276
Thread chain: O=O=O=O

B146: Marco Stonecastle (adopted from Danetrix) - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Breaking Down the Wall (The Warehouse) /// Rank: 177/276

B145: Garry "Garou" Villette - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Burn On (The Mountain) /// Rank: 44/276
Thread chain: O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O

B141: Saul Fetteralf (adopted from Jackson) - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Dead-End Scenario (The Parish) /// Rank: 15/276
Thread chain: O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O

B121: Allen Birkman - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: RESCUED /// Location: Four-Act Structure /// "Rank": 76/276
Thread chain: O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O

[+] spoiler
20:44BetaKnight I do have more fucks than you do. I've been tending my fuck farm.

Cards Remaining (V5) - HERO: 1 /// SWAP: 0

Courtography
Leader

June 19th, 2013, 1:13 am #3

Kelly was pulled out of her thoughts by Darren's remark. She was glad he was there, even if she hadn't known him too well back at school. Still didn't, actually, maybe she'd bother to later. It couldn't hurt anyway.

"Oh that's fine, I'm still awake enough. You can nap."

She was too unnerved to sleep right now. Even with the light she kept imagining someone hiding in every shadow. Paranoid much? Maybe so, but like it or not, she couldn't shake the feeling that someone would sneak up on her.

Maybe it would have been better if she'd met anyone besides Darren so far to show her that there weren't psychos out there.

But no such luck.

"But yeah, I can watch out while you're out."

JamesRenard
Leader

June 20th, 2013, 9:28 pm #4

"Alright, that's cool," Darren said, trying to suppress another yawn. He was still hesitant to fall asleep there and then, but Kelly had assured him she was still going to be awake and alert. That was good news. He was very grateful for her being around to keep him company. Heck he was very grateful in general just to have someone that he could trust. Even if her weapon was about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Oh, speaking of weapons, I need to give that thing to her.

He reached for his jeans pocket and pulled the railway spike out of it, then slid it along the floor to where Kelly sat. "There's my weapon, you can borrow it..." he trailed off as he yawned again. "Sorry, you can borrow it for the time being. Better than it just sitting there in my pocket while I sleep."

Darren then rested his head back against the wall, wishing the night would give way to daytime soon. Man, this it going to be my first full night out here. God, I hope nothing happens to us here. The thoughts that ran through his mind slowed down to a crawl as fatigue gradually took over.

Then, just a few minutes later, his eyes had closed and he was fast asleep. Oblivious to the world around him.
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V5. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

V5 Characters
B006: Darren Fox - Weapon(s): Lego "Creator" bucket /// Status: ALIVE /// Current location: Meltdown (Nuclear Plant - The Reactors)
Thread chain: O | O=O=O | O=O=

B030: Luca Johanssen - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Leap of Faith (Northern Coast - The Zipline Attraction) /// Rank: 134/152
Thread chain: O | O=O
[+] spoiler
Sandra Ortega: Daughter of a teacher, sister of a delinquent, wants to succeed

[+] spoiler
G109: Miranda Merchant - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Hearing is Believing (The Woods: Inland) /// Rank: 227/276

B146: Marco Stonecastle (adopted from Danetrix) - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Breaking Down the Wall (The Warehouse) /// Rank: 177/276

B145: Garry "Garou" Villette - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Burn On (The Mountain) /// Rank: 44/276
Thread chain: O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O

B141: Saul Fetteralf (adopted from Jackson) - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: DECEASED /// Body's location: Dead-End Scenario (The Parish) /// Rank: 15/276
Thread chain: O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O

B121: Allen Birkman - Weapon(s): N/A /// Status: RESCUED /// Location: Four-Act Structure /// "Rank": 76/276
Thread chain: O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O

[+] spoiler
20:44BetaKnight I do have more fucks than you do. I've been tending my fuck farm.

Cards Remaining (V5) - HERO: 1 /// SWAP: 0

Courtography
Leader

June 20th, 2013, 9:38 pm #5

It was probably best that Darren was gonna sleep, the guy couldn't seem to keep his eyes open for another minute.

Kelly picked up the spike, it was strange, she thought, who would go out of their way to get one spike or whatever? Maybe there was a sale at the Terrorist Depot, she really had no idea, it just seemed so strange to her. Heck, even the Legos made a bit more sense than a random metal spike.

The spike didn't do anything to remove her anxiety though. She felt like someone could show up at any minute and shoot up the place. She really needed to calm down. If Darren could sleep under the circumstances, she could chill out.

Relax.

Maybe it'd make her feel better if she had a look around the hangar. She took the spike in one hand and the flashlight in the other. It'd make sure she knew once and for all, that nothing scary was in the hangar. Heck, maybe she'd find something good.

That's what she told herself anyway.

Rattlesnake
Winner

June 23rd, 2013, 7:12 am #6

((Katarina Konipaski continued from Omphaloskepsis))

Well, it sure was dark.

Maybe, Katarina thought, that was why all the drama and murder and whatnot seemed to happen in the day. No use drawing a bead on someone you couldn't freaking see. Though it wasn't, again, like she was in any hurry to. Slow and steady, sneaky and pragmatic won that race. There was no need to force anything, and indeed, that was precisely what she needed to avoid at any cost. That was the risk, the only pitfall in her perfect, pragmatic plan. Be courteous, be polite, have a plan to kill everyone you meet, but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Still, a certain anxious thought needled at her. Something they'd said when they were kicking the whole thing off. A kill a day, or they all died. A kill, that was the important part. The things always started out slow, to her memory. She couldn't name exactly how many had died the first day on any of the previous runs, but not a whole lot. And the classes had been larger. Much larger, if a ballpark estimate was right. Two hundred fifty or so had died the last time around, and she didn't think Aurora had that many seniors, even counting those sitting at home as she strode through the darkness, the lucky bastards. And things were more complicated now. The last batch had gotten a rescue, and now anyone too dumb to think things through would be stuck on the old rule. There was a real risk, in short, of a simultaneous detonation come morning. That was a chance, if she had the guts, that she didn't want to leave in anybody's hands.

Her footsteps echoed softly through the hanger.
[+] spoiler
G065 KK Konipaski - "I killed a girl today. I think. And I didn't make a lot of friends with it. You don't bleed that much and walk away, I know that."
Skidded to a halt in the Central Park with the Basket-Hilted Rapier, Swordbreaker, Butterfly Knife, Stinger.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

B060 Matthew Young - "What brings you to the beach on this crappy day?"
Taking a sand nap in the Eastern Inlet with the iPod from Heck
1 2 3 4

G075 Tessa Blackridge - "Oh. ...I left quite a mess, didn't I?"
Staring down the cold hand of Death in the Bike Trails with the Pepper Spray
1 2
[+] spoiler
B055 Nick Reid - "Put that thing down, and neither of us have to die."
Troubled no more in the Mountains with the Molotov (x1), Estoc, Jutte

G090 Kari Nichols - "please..."
Sleeping forever in the Logging Road with the Nothing

B088 Cody Jenkins - "They won't come, you know."
Decomposing in the Northern Cliffs with the Middle Finger (x1)
NO. THERE IS NO MORE TIME, EVEN FOR CAKE. FOR YOU, THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE.

Courtography
Leader

June 23rd, 2013, 8:04 am #7

Kelly had gone along one wall of the hangar when she thought she heard footsteps. She froze, her hand tightening around the spike. She had left her bag over with Darren so she couldn't spill a tub of Legos or something.

Come on, be smart, there's nothing to be scared of.

She breathed out heavily, still somewhat convinced that a deranged psycho would turn her into hamburger.

She slowly started walking towards where she heard the footsteps, her breathing still fast and the spike clutched in front of her. The flashlight kept scanning back and forth, checking every shadow.

It was going to be fine.

Rattlesnake
Winner

June 24th, 2013, 12:00 am #8

There was a noise that wasn't her, a light not her own. Slowly, steadily, it progressed towards her. Someone else was in there. She slid behind a mass of darker black, a hunk of rusted metal that would never fly again, and waited. The unknown explorer kept their pace, a beam of light shining past here Katarina crouched hidden, scanning deliberately back and forth. Seconds to go before they crested the edge, brought them into full contact.

The air was cool but her skin felt warm, heart beating at a rapid pace, sweat touching her temples. Her chest felt tight, her breathing down to a whisper, legs coiled as at the start of a race. She was aware with sudden clarity how heavy the scythe was, how awkwardly it pulled at her arms, how ungainly it was in its pact with gravity. One grip and then another and a third she tried, but none of them felt quite right. A farmer's tool, not a murderer's, though she wasn't practiced at either.

She could almost see the tip of the flashlight now. Another pair of footsteps would bring it round the bend. No second-guessing, she told herself. Stick with the plan. There would be no choice, anyways. She was too far in. What if the light-bearer had a gun with them? Heck, a sword, even a knife? She'd be functionally blind, caught bloody-handed with a wicked blade. There was no future for her simply standing there. For everyone, she pleaded, a nervous swallow clamped by the bomb around her neck. There was no choice, no choice at all.

She tightened her grip as the stranger came dimly into view, clenched her jaw, and swung.
[+] spoiler
G065 KK Konipaski - "I killed a girl today. I think. And I didn't make a lot of friends with it. You don't bleed that much and walk away, I know that."
Skidded to a halt in the Central Park with the Basket-Hilted Rapier, Swordbreaker, Butterfly Knife, Stinger.

1 2 3 4

1 2
[+] spoiler

NO. THERE IS NO MORE TIME, EVEN FOR CAKE. FOR YOU, THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE.

Courtography
Leader

June 24th, 2013, 12:48 am #9

As Kelly screamed she knew that it wasn't fine.

She never even saw who had sent metal tearing through her chest. She had dropped her flashlight and the spike and had started flailing.

She couldn't die from this psycho, whoever they were. She just couldn't. Everything was supposed to be okay. She had found shelter, agreed to keep watch while Darren slept. She had done all the right things!

She kept flailing desperately, hoping she could fight the attacker off.

Rattlesnake
Winner

June 25th, 2013, 6:19 am #10

Her quick, decisive strike had turned suddenly into something out of a blind man's nightmare. The scream of pain and terror, the clatter of plastic and metal, the sickening wet slice of steel parting flesh. She didn't need to be able to see to know the extent of it all, though her victim's spinning flashlight threw its cone of light in a frenetic pattern like a strobe.

And still, somehow, she wasn't quite dead. The revelation sent Katarina's stomach churning, hair standing up along her arms and down her neck. It took considerable will not to simply flee the scene, let her bleed and die and shriek alone and try to wash her hands of the deed she'd never shake. A frantic thrashing twisted the scythe in her hands. There still lurked a danger, that was the ticket. Let herself think there was the remotest threat so she could do a final service.

With that thought buzzing through her mind she wrenched the scythe away, took careful aim at the girl's throat, and swung again.
[+] spoiler

1 2 3 4

1 2
[+] spoiler