Evolution (A Futuristic Superhero Roleplay)

August 20th, 2011, 3:43 pm #1

So this is what happens when I go on TVTropes at 1 in the morning and read the entirety of the Required Secondary Powers page. I start thinking.

This is basically just an interest check. If I get enough people interested from just the title, I'll give a basic synopsis of the back story and shit. So basically, if you wanna know more? Show an interest.

EDIT: Enough people have shown an interest. So here, beyond the spoiler, is my basic outline.
[+] Spoiler
At some point in the near future, humanity undergoes a change. Certain individuals experience a transformation, gaining abilities they never had before. The weak ones gained small powers, limited to simple tricks. The strong ones, though, quickly proved to be a fearful change. The Chinese government was the first to react, quickly demanding that their citizens who had gained these abilities register their powers for the government, or face annihilation. The riots this law sparked gained worldwide attention, including the brutal way the government crushed the rebellion. The US government was the second to react. While publicly they denounced China and supported the rebellion, in secret, an agency was created to capture as many of these "Gifted" individuals as possible. More secret than any other organization, for twenty years the Agency recruited and imprisoned more than a thousand Gifted. Once the scandal in China had faded from the minds of the public, the Agency's existence was made public, and it was asked that the Gifted register with the government, or be branded outlaws, and taken down. The Agency, against the rulings of the Judicial branch, was given full jurisdiction and full executive power over any citizen, Gifted or otherwise. Inevitably, this led to corruption and, in the end, a coup led by Agents who were publicly labeled rogue. The coup was quiet, one day the President was denouncing the Agency's radical actions, the next he was praising them for their efforts to keep the average citizen safe. Slowly, the Gifted were made into second-class citizens, many forced to turn to lives of crime in order to support themselves.

This is where we find ourselves now: In a small city, separated from the megolopolis that has become New Chicago by a long stretch of open water. Situated near the sea, the small city attracts many people, Gifted and not, who seek a quieter life. The Gifted have, in general, succumbed to the will of the Agency. Still, some resist. The Agency is painted, through propaganda and intimidation, as the heroic soldiers, fighting a war against dangerous mad-people, who seek to destroy the peaceful way of life. Those Gifted who have not been branded with their designation numbers are labeled as outlaws, and actively captured, and in the worst cases, destroyed.

The Agency's secret machinations are unknown. It is unknown what level of technology they have, though it is accepted that they have at the very least robotics that are better than the average civilian's. Another well-known technology are their psychic suppressors, which are used in maximum security prisons to keep the Gifted criminals there from using their abilities. The psychic suppressors are generally finely calibrated to block out only the powers of the undesirables, leaving the Gifted Agents still capable of using their full power.

The Agency's stated goal is to research the Gifted. It is rumored, though never proven, that part of their research concerns awakening the Gift in people who are otherwise Giftless. It is certain that their research has given them their psychic suppressors as well as the far more rare psychic amplifiers, which have only been brought out into the public eye once, when a group of high powered Gifted broke out of The Veil maximum security prison. The amplifiers were used by a total of 10 of the elite Agents, and with their powers increased by this method, the ten easily decimated and destroyed the escapees. The amplifiers were mothballed, however, due to the impracticality of the huge dishes, as well as the huge energy inefficiencies.

The Agency is structured in a pyramid: at the bottom, the Soldiers. The Soldiers are primarily those with a weak gift or no gift at all. They are, essentially, cannon fodder, to be thrown at an enemy to gauge his strength. If one performs admirably, they may be raised to the rank of Elite Soldier, which basically gives them a better weapon or armor. They are still considered to be cannon fodder. The next level are the basic Agents. These individuals are Gifted, usually medium to strong, though some with a weak Gift of much utility, as well as some with a strong Gift with little utility, and, even more rare, the occasional normal who has proven himself extremely capable join their ranks. Agents are grouped in squads of 5, and are usually lead by one Elite. The Elite are strongly Gifted, and are very rarely seen in battle because of the sheer power at their disposal. They often lead small sub-forts, auxiliary military forts which are situated in every major city. The next step up, and the second to last, are the Command. These individuals are Elites who have proven themselves in battle many times, or who are too dangerous to put at the front lines. There are a total of 25 known Command Agents, each leading a major fortress. The Command answer only to the President himself. The President is virtually unknown. The most that is known of him is that he is an impressively powerful psychic. It is said that he can see dissent in the minds of his citizens, and can snuff it out before it has the chance to grow into a rebellion.

The Agency, due to it's supreme power, tends to attract a number of sociopathic individuals. Most of these individuals remain at the lowest levels, though some have risen all the way to Elite status. The commander of Sub-Station Charlie Beta Gamma, in the small city of Midport, is rumored to be one of the worst.
Holy crap that was a lot more than I had wanted to write. The last little bit was a bit of foreshadowing for one of my characters. So yeah. Let me know what you think.
[+] Spoiler
G073 - Kaitlyn Williams - Datrex Emergency Food Bars (5/5) - Sup Nerds?

T-Fox
Winner

August 20th, 2011, 3:55 pm #2

Stef's mutation AU over on mini went by "evolution" as well.
Coming soon to a deathmatch near you:
Garry Brooks - Swave Countryboy
Jade Aurora - Tomboy Drummer
Jasmine Tolle - Pacifistiic Artist

Memories of those past:
[+] Spoiler
B008 - Peter McCue - "Welcome home Katlin." - "DECEASED" - (Killcount: 0) - St. Paul, Minnesota [RANK: 82/276]
B011 - Chadd Crossen - "Janet... I forgive you for everything." - DECEASED - (Killcount: 0) - The Northern Cliffs: Sometimes Sanctuary isn't That Far Away... [RANK: 242/276]
B018 - Colin Falcone - Damned if Danya could stop him; even in death. - DECEASED - (Killcount: 1 - Antonio Russo) - The Costal Woods: One Final Bow [RANK: 161/276]
G020 - Jacquard "Jackie" Broughten - She was never really alone at all. - DECEASED - (Killcount: 1 - Maria Santiago) - The Tunnels: Peripeteia [RANK: 106/276]
B100 - Rekka Saionji - "Real... men... don't cry." - DECEASED - (Killcount: 0) - The Tunnels: It Knows Nothing of Whim [RANK: 208/276]
What is wrong with you people?!
[+] Spoiler
(7:07:51 PM) Little: "TAKE THAT MOM. YOU TRIED TO PROTECT ME, BUT I'VE BEEN TEN COCKS DEEP 24/SEV-UNNNNNN"
Rattlesnake: ...He says confidently after burning his roll null. I think Ciel just punched the RNG in the face.
Namira: Ciel: Punch RNG in the snout to establish superiority.
KamiKaze: I think Kyle enjoys the scent of poor people.

August 20th, 2011, 4:18 pm #3

Nothin' new under the sun, T-Fox. I assure you, it is nothing like SOTF: Evo.
[+] Spoiler

T-Fox
Winner

August 21st, 2011, 3:03 am #4

I know, but if you decided you wanted to run it over on Mini, we would probably ask you to select a different name to avoid confusion. =P

Memories of those past:
[+] Spoiler
B008 - Peter McCue - "Welcome home Katlin." - "DECEASED" - (Killcount: 0) - St. Paul, Minnesota [RANK: 82/276]
B011 - Chadd Crossen - "Janet... I forgive you for everything." - DECEASED - (Killcount: 0) - The Northern Cliffs: Sometimes Sanctuary isn't That Far Away... [RANK: 242/276]
B018 - Colin Falcone - Damned if Danya could stop him; even in death. - DECEASED - (Killcount: 1 - Antonio Russo) - The Costal Woods: One Final Bow [RANK: 161/276]
G020 - Jacquard "Jackie" Broughten - She was never really alone at all. - DECEASED - (Killcount: 1 - Maria Santiago) - The Tunnels: Peripeteia [RANK: 106/276]
B100 - Rekka Saionji - "Real... men... don't cry." - DECEASED - (Killcount: 0) - The Tunnels: It Knows Nothing of Whim [RANK: 208/276]
[+] Spoiler
(7:07:51 PM) Little: "TAKE THAT MOM. YOU TRIED TO PROTECT ME, BUT I'VE BEEN TEN COCKS DEEP 24/SEV-UNNNNNN"
Rattlesnake: ...He says confidently after burning his roll null. I think Ciel just punched the RNG in the face.

August 21st, 2011, 3:16 am #5

Nah, I'd probably make a separate board for it. Cuz, why not?
[+] Spoiler

Sean
Survivor

August 21st, 2011, 3:25 am #6

I might be interested, pending more details.
[+] Spoiler
B124 - Joe Rios - Nothing - Shot
G118 - Rose Codreanu - Nothing - Collarsploded
B048 - Milo Taylor - Nothing - Bled Out
[+] Spoiler
Mark Kent
Quoth Super Llama: wrote:One day, the fabled Ragnarok will come, and as the gods descend to earth and wage war while the world dies around them, WickedIcon will lead the charge, a 12-gauge shotgun in his right hand, and a bottle of Jack Daniels in his left as he rides a steed made of fire and pain.

And the masses will look upon him and weep at the beauty of it all.
wrote:[19:25] Hallucinogenic: it's not like i wanna put my anus on parade
wrote:04:26MimiOH
04:26MimiTHAT'S LESS BAD
04:27MimiI THOUGHT SHE HAD TO JERK OFF MONKEYS

August 21st, 2011, 3:36 am #7

Duly noted.
[+] Spoiler

T-Fox
Winner

August 21st, 2011, 3:37 am #8

Serpentis.Deteramot wrote:Nah, I'd probably make a separate board for it. Cuz, why not?
Fair 'nuff. I just felt like I was kind of obligated to mention.

Memories of those past:
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Flare
Contender

August 22nd, 2011, 2:21 am #10

Eh, I think I might be interested.
V5 Characters:

Jack McDonald is a SELF-INSERT YAY.

August 22nd, 2011, 5:26 am #11

I'll call that 3, maybe 4 if T-Fox is interested. One more, either way, and I'll write up a plot something or other.
[+] Spoiler

August 23rd, 2011, 2:46 am #12

Alright, so I've got a friend from outside deese here forums interested in this, so I'm gonna type up a bit of an explanation of the plot and back story. Watch the first post!
[+] Spoiler

August 23rd, 2011, 4:48 am #13

Plot info posted. Posting this to bump this to the top of the portal.
[+] Spoiler

Deamon
Mr. Danya
Deamon
Mr. Danya

August 23rd, 2011, 7:37 pm #14

After reading the plot info I can safely say you have my interest.
Forrest Quin - At the Zoo
Bret Carter - On a date
Aliya Kimia Nemati - In Training
Arizona - Practicing
[+] Spoiler
Kimiko Kao - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯
Travis "Trav" Lynch - ♞ - ♞ - ♞ - ♞ - ♞ - ♞ - ♞
Cameron Herrig - Ω - Ω - Ω
[+] Spoiler
Gray Emerson - "No. We don't follow."
Yasmin "Yaz" Carroll - "I don't really have a plan anymore."
Christopher Harlin - "You can look me in the eyes and shoot me."

T-Fox
Winner

August 23rd, 2011, 8:33 pm #15

Now that there's a description, I may be interested in this, depending on work schedules and availability when it starts up.

Memories of those past:
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler