Endgame/Epilogue Terminology

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

May 19th, 2012, 3:44 am #1

What do the terms "Endgame" and "Epilogue" mean to you?

Total votes: 44
40(91%)
2(5%)
2(5%)
0(0%)
0(0%)
0(0%)
0(0%)
0(0%)

So, in the style of the poll on the preferred abbreviation of SOTF, I figured I'd ask a question that's been bugging me for ages: what do people mean when they discuss "Endgame" on SOTF?

To me, Endgame is the final showdown in game. The Epilogue is the next thread, where the winner's fate is revealed. It hasn't always been that way, though.

In V1, "Endgame" as a term encompassed both things, and was a single thread. In V2, the final showdown did not have a specific name, and Endgame referred to the final (currently-incomplete) thread, detailing Calvert's fate after the game.

In V3, Endgame was the last fight, and Riz's fate (and those of the escapees) was the Epilogue. Interesting (and perhaps not coincidentally?), in the Battle Royale novel, the section detailing the fight among the final four is called Endgame, and, while it includes the winner's debriefing, the final bit that really concludes the story is called the Epilogue. Basically, V3 takes the same track as BR.

I'm mostly just curious how everyone else feels about this, and why, assuming anyone else has considered these things. This all came up because sometime way back I had a few miscommunications springing from the difference in usage between myself and other members.

MK Kilmarnock
Mr. Danya

May 19th, 2012, 4:51 am #2

Endgame is, for me, always the end of the game... final ten and such. It's like how in chess, the part of the game with few pieces on the board is 'endgame'.

It's the epilogue that's a bit trickier and uses interchangable terms for me. I call it post-game, usually.
[+] spoiler
Jerry Fury - The man, the myth, the legend
Coleen Reagan - The girl who half-loved the world
[+] spoiler
V5 Roster:
Cody Patton : That bitch.
Sean Mulcahy : The world was kind to reprieve him of his fear...
Jessica Sanders: She hoped it would be quick...
[+] spoiler
20:17Sideliner:Toben and Ricky are like a sibling version of the Joker and Batman, only Batman is just as much of a mass murderer. He just hides it better.
19:58LaurelsHow does your dick smell like Fritos?
14:36 MimiI THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE FRIENDS > 14:36MimiI THOUGHT YOU REALLY LICKED HER

Namira
Mr. Danya

May 19th, 2012, 10:16 am #3

I've always used endgame for the final showdown, as it were. The epilogue to me is the part after that.

SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!
[+] spoiler
13:58 Gianni Oh come on you broke someone's heart
13:59 Gianni you are proud, not embarrassed
13:59 Christian Yes
13:59 Christian Be proud
13:59 Christian Do we not all strive to break a human soul?
[+] spoiler
Vincenzo/a 'Vinny' 'Enzo' Gatti | DO IT FOR THE VINE.
Toby 'Noodle' Andreasson | :|
[+] spoiler
G008 - Kammy So'oialo | wants a new script
G062 - Becca Everett | was a damn superstar
G071 - Sunshine Cho Lee | trusted
[+] spoiler
G026 - Rosalia Fiametta | Found it. | Walkie Talkies
G014 - Yelizaveta 'Bounce' Volkova | Out of here | Gasoline
B060 - Brock Mason | Thump. Thump |
G029 - Kristina 'Kris' Hartmann | Put Down. | Drama Bombs [∞], M79 Grenade Launcher [x6 grenades]
G117 - Jessie Anderson | Still Smiling | Faith

umop-ap!sdn
Player

May 20th, 2012, 10:46 pm #5

I picked the 3rd option just because there are now escapees. I feel like the "epilogue" is more about ALL of the survivors rather than just the winner. Since the prize is really just being set free, the winner doesn't really go back to a life much different than those who escaped.

Well it's different, the winner has probably killed quote a few people and gone a little crazy compared to the others, but I think you guys can get what I'm saying. It's not like the Hunger Games where the winner is showered in riches and fame. I can picture the winner sitting on a couch with one or two kids who were rescued being interviewed together. Of course, the winner would be considered a bigger deal, but I feel that viewers would empathize with them, more or less, equally.

Anyway! I think survival is survival, and any post game stories are, more or less, equally anticipated. I mean I was a big Kim fan, but there were many kids who were rescued, (Jay and Jennifer for example) who I also followed. "Epilogue" refers to the winner's final fate, but there is much more to it than that.

Now that I have ranted, I'm curious to see if the students will be so lucky this year. I mean, STAR will be looking for them, but I'm sure the terrorists will be on much higher alert. I almost think it would be more interesting if the escape attempt failed, just because people have been making it out in the past two versions, it'd be different to see the terrorists have their way. ANYWAY that's a completely other idea for speculation elsewhere.

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

May 20th, 2012, 11:29 pm #6

Haha. I quite agree that the ending is about everybody.

Springing off of Joe's point, I'd like to take a moment to derail my own poll and strongly recommend that everyone check out V4's excellent Post-Game section, where the fates of the rescued kids are detailed. I honestly believe that it contains some of the absolute strongest writing in V4, and it has been, by and large, horrifically under-rated/unnoticed. I think it's something really special, something I doubt we'll see the likes of again (at least for a long time).

On escapes, haha, that is fun speculation. On-island stuff, at least, is gonna be a boatload more challenging due to the new rules in place about escapes. But, yeah, as said, that's probably a discussion for elsewhere.

Delroy
Leader
Delroy
Leader

May 26th, 2012, 1:27 pm #7

Endgame for me is the final 10 or so. The people who survived the absolute longest. The elite players and such, facing off against each other. When there is just 1 remaining, the details of what happens to them is the Epilogue.

In SOTF, Endgame is basically the climax. You've followed these characters for months, and this is where their final fate is revealed. The Epilogue is the aftermath. Winding down after the breathtaking final murderspree, so to speak. The "Samwise Gamgee comes back to his wife and children after Frodo leaves for the west with the elves" part of the book, if you catch my meaning. Basically, the final words to put closure to the characters after all the misery that they've gone through.
V5 characters:

Travis Webster - Whistling party animal with a roguish smile, quick wit, and without a care in the world.
[+] spoiler

Made by Violent-Medic
Pregame: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11]

Island: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Back home: The Webster Household, and their reactions....