MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

May 24th, 2015, 12:38 am #31

Fine by me! And yeah, if people just grad no more than, oh, let's say three things at a time? Just so everyone can get in on it. And quick reminder that RPGMaker can only take MIDI files.

Also, RC, you should let me know where you think the other song you whipped up would be good. But I'll probably PM you about that too.

Also, no hurry whatsoever on these. I'm still spriting, then need to do area maps, then need to do the actual game bit. This is a looonnngggg way from done.

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

May 24th, 2015, 10:40 am #32

Sprites are complete through Shawn, sans Jewel. I stopped before Taylor because he's probably going to be a lot of work.

CondorTalon
Player

May 25th, 2015, 1:19 am #33

I could be up for making some music, if I had a program to do so.
[+] Spoiler
V6:
G009 - Sandra Dyer - Pot lid - [untitled]
G023 - Jennifer Su - Flashlight - Asymptote
G036 - Nancy Kyle - Hatchet - 不安心

V5:
G024 - Yukiko Sakurai - Weed whacker with circular saw attachment - Sunrise
B048 - Corey Esposito - Swedish Made Penis Enhancement Pump - Something Something Movie Reference

V5 Pregame:
Miriam Castille - "U-Um... well, see... I-I seemed to have misplaced m-my books..." - In Transit - It Was Just A Drink
[+] Spoiler
Felix Rees
Camellia "Cammy" Walker-Grimsley
Sachi Kobayakawa
Dane Lennox
Catherine Zier
Malcolm Hong
Victoria Tran
Bethany Sadler

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

May 25th, 2015, 4:51 am #34

All currently volunteered character now have sprites. Special mention to Taylor's freaking dress as the most annoying thing to do ever, since I had to manually adjust it to fit his frame at a pixel level. Also, not sure how Yagmur's missing fingers are looking, but I tried.

I decided not to bother with t-shirts for those male characters who wore them because the level of effort involved is huge compared to a minimal payoff (they would actually look worse than the current less accurate outfits).

I went through and made non-costume outfits for every kid, including those who were only in costume beforehand, because it's nice to have a base sprite and it may become relevant in the briefing scene.

These are still subject to change and revision, of course. Also, if any of the twenty characters not currently volunteered for the game get offered, they'll get sprites ASAP too. Once again, no promises that this will mean characters will even show up, but having them done helps my inspiration/creative process by giving me quick options, so yay.

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

May 25th, 2015, 4:55 am #35

CondorTalon wrote:I could be up for making some music, if I had a program to do so.
I'm playing a bit with the freeware version of Anvil Studio, recommended by RC. The free version is fully featured for MIDI, and definitely ports to RPG Maker program.

Laurels
Mr. Danya

May 25th, 2015, 1:32 pm #36

I'm so sorry Taylor was difficult to work with. Just imagine being one of his parents.

But the sprites are lovely and I think you did an amazing job on all of them.
[+] Spoiler
Nadia Riva
"You don't think I'm pretty enough to be a model? And you're telling me while wearing that face?"

Noah Whitley
"You look like you could use a laugh, and I have just the joke for that."

Alba Reyes
"Woo hoo! Three holes in one! That's a new record!"
[+] Spoiler
Girl #007-Rachael Langdon
"I really am going to die, aren't I? Oh god, what am I going to do?"

Armed with a Solar Powered Scientific Calculator
Stabbed with a sword by Marcus Leung.
Girl #018-Claire Monaghan
"You know, I always thought I'd be seen by millions. Fuck Murphy's Law."

Armed with a Shotgun Flashlight (1 Bullet) and a bulletproof vest

Girl #035-Sophie McDowell
"People often find inspiration in the darkest times. I guess I can too."
Killed by a grenade thrown by Summer Simms

Armed with a lead pipe.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

19:10 Laurelena: When octopi eat hamsters, the resulting laughter is a mix of colorful idiocy and dainty ice skating

18:10 Mimi: "how many nipples does Miss Piggy REALLY have?"

16:57 Mimi play Fergaliscious
16:58 Mimi IF YOU EVER WANT FANS
16:58 Mimi YOU NEED FERALISCIOUS
16:58 Mimi FERGALISCIOUS
16:58 Mimi Omg
16:58 Mimi feral-liscious
16:58 Mimi that's
16:58 Mimi blowing my mind

16:57 KamiKaze Laurie, if you ever become a mod, let it be known that one day you will critique someone's profile who had a girl killing her family friend because he raped her, and the person will insult you by calling you a talking Oshawott doll.

21:42Acidic i AM ANAL WART MAN

00:19Delroy.... I HAVE AN IMAGE OF HANSEL FUCKING TRAVIS WITH A CHAINSAW STUCK IN MY HEAD. HOW IS THIS IN ANY WAY GOOD!?

[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Rachael Langdon
[+] Spoiler

Rachael Langdon and Claire Monaghan
[+] Spoiler

Rachael Langdon

Claire Monaghan
[+] Spoiler

Claire Monaghan
[+] Spoiler

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

May 25th, 2015, 7:43 pm #37

Thanks, Laure!

Further updates:

Played more with the game engine, got dialogue pictures displaying. Am currently placeholding with art plundered from the wiki, and will probably stick to that until I'm a bit more confident in the direction of the plot/major characters, at which point I'll toss up a priority listing for headshots and some direction as to size and possibly facing.

Figured out what Bik was talking about re: variables, so can probably not copy/paste all the maps five times to mark the passage of time.

Speaking of maps, still working on getting those smooth. I found some so-so tilesets online but am super paranoid about intellectual property rights even though in all likelihood only SOTFers will ever play this thing. Unfortunately, the RPG Maker community isn't too good about tagging what is or isn't free to use. I am looking into other options too, though. And the defaults aren't totally terrible, at least.

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

February 23rd, 2016, 3:50 am #38

Hey, everyone. It's been almost a year since I posted here. For the bulk of that time, very little got done on this project. RL took up most of my focus, and I lacked the attention or energy to do any work on this.

That said, I have an announcement to make:

The game is still a long ways from done, but you can download the demo here.

You'll need to extract the .rar file to play, but it should just run after that (open the game folder and click on "Game." to make it go). Also, some credits for the demo build: the loading screen art is my mangling of Frogue's amazing art of Michael, and the music is by the super talented and wonderful RC.

The demo covers the prologue of the game. It roughly replaces pregame/sandbox as an introduction to some of the characters and the setting. As mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, I've chosen Michael Robinson as the perspective character for the game. As such, the prologue covers a snippet of pre-SOTF time in Whittree, Oklahoma.

All Whittree characters I've been approved to use are featured in the prologue, to greater or lesser degrees. The prologue lays out the rough style I intend to use for the whole game: largely decision-based, with some level of branching paths leading in many cases to different results.

When it comes to overall game design, I'm trying to scale my ambitions to a reasonable level. As such, the game will allow you to play through and interact with the TV2 game, but it's not going to give you total freedom at all times. I hope to offer multiple choices for almost every interaction, but their results may end up the same in some circumstances. Characters will be killable, but it won't be all characters and it won't be every time you meet them. I hope to achieve a satisfying level of complexity without driving myself insane. Think Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book instead of, say, Morrowind.

In the interests of open communication, the prologue is basically the sum total of the completed work thus far. It took quite a while—I spent most of my free time over a week writing the script and implementing it in the engine. This means the overall game completion will not be speedy. If it's done in six months, it will be a miracle by any measure. It may take years. It may never be completed. RL has a way of getting in the way of things, and this isn't the center of my life. I do want to keep expectations low.

That said, I have narrowed down the arena to a manageable number of areas to be featured, and I have the first phase of the game summarized and planned. I expect the game to include a prologue, seven phases on the resort, and then maybe an epilogue (or ten :P).

A few thoughts:

If you've expressed interest in helping in some fashion, I'd still love to work with you! When I was swamped, I lost track of a lot of things. I've contacted a handful of people since, but I don't think I've gotten to everyone. If I missed you, I swear it's not personal and if you still have any interest in participating I'd love to have you on board in some capacity.

If you are a TV2 handler whose character is featured and something really bugs you about the way I've treated them thus far, this is your one and only chance to get in feedback and help me right things (or to withdraw usage permission, though I'd much rather work with you to make sure everything's satisfactory). I'm making choices, cuts, etc. to fit the overall story and the game medium, but I do want to try to leave folks satisfied. Please drop me a line within a week if you want to address concerns.

If you are a TV2 handler who did not offer your character for usage, but now you would like to, there is absolutely 100% still room. The prologue itself has two open desks still (hidden through crafty camera angles at one point) and adding another row is trivially easy. And that's not even touching the Davison characters, who haven't turned up yet! Because I only have the first phase sketched out, and because even that has not progressed to scripting, it's really easy to fit characters in. Let's say there's a soft one week deadline for this, too; characters can still possibly be added afterwards, but are likely to be shunted into pretty minimal roles or get their stories and arcs tweaked more than they otherwise might. I make no guarantees your character will show up at all if you ask after a week from now.

A character's rough level of screen time/importance is quite likely to roughly mirror what they had in the actual TV2 game. There are absolutely some exceptions, but don't expect too hugely much variation, I guess is what I'm saying. There are a number of reasons for this. It's harder to stay true to a character's concept and feel while fabricating events for them forty deaths after where they kicked it in the actual game. Also, any major branch carries potential ramifications for the entire game from that point forwards, which means if there are multiple potential fates for each character in each phase that echo through each other event, that leaves me with something like a hundred variations for absolutely everything that happens in the game, which again goes back to the "this is not my life and I'm not going insane over it" side of things. I'm mostly trying to keep expectations reasonable with all these caveats.

One feature is not currently and may never be implemented: portraits during dialogue, which I addressed a bit in past comments. I'm sort of torn on it. Basically, the issue is as such: there are a lot of characters featured in the game. We've got over fifty students, plus up to two dozen supporting cast members (currently about ten, with a lot of potential for more to crop up near the end of the project/in epilogues). I might look into using Facemaker to create portraits, since I think having portraits does look better and makes certain dialogue exchanges easier to follow. I need to figure out what the usage permissions for Facemaker are, though. There's also a portrait maker in a different RPG Maker engine, and I do have access to that. I haven't played with it much, but it could also work.

If someone wanted to create art, I'd be super grateful, but there are some catches I feel obligated to mention. Basically, I feel like the game's aesthetic will be best served by being consistent, so I'd really want all portraits done in the same style/by the same person. This, again, runs into the issue that there are like 60-70 characters with speaking roles in this game, which I imagine is a ridiculous amount of work, even if we're talking fairly small square portraits. I'd also want to make sure everything looks decent, so at the very least solid scans would be necessary. Finally, there's zero guarantee this game gets completed to any degree further than where it's at right now, so there could be no payoff for the aforementioned massive effort. If you're interested anyways, PM me and we can talk, but I'm all sorts of iffy here just because of the amount of work and my own track record of being inconsistent.

I think that's the rough overview of where everything is. I'd also love any feedback, comments, things you liked, things you didn't, etc. I hope I'll be able to finish this and make it something cool!

There was at least one other really important thing I wanted to discuss, but I can't remember, so stay tuned. P.S. Seth, check your PMs! I promised RC I'd send you something related to this.

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

February 23rd, 2016, 4:07 am #39

Thanks to Espi for instantly finding a soft-lock I missed. It's been fixed. If you downloaded before I posted this, you have a build that will soft lock if you walk down when you first gain movement controls. You may want to download the new version which does not do that. Everyone else: the link leads to the new version now.

MK Kilmarnock
Mr. Danya

February 24th, 2016, 2:03 am #40

If you like, I could try and make a song for your game. No promises, however.

I have also decided, despite my disinterest in mini, I will stream this.
[+] Spoiler
Jerry Fury - The man, the myth, the legend
Coleen Reagan - The girl who half-loved the world
[+] Spoiler
V5 Roster:
Cody Patton : That bitch.
Sean Mulcahy : The world was kind to reprieve him of his fear...
Jessica Sanders: She hoped it would be quick...
[+] Spoiler
20:17Sideliner:Toben and Ricky are like a sibling version of the Joker and Batman, only Batman is just as much of a mass murderer. He just hides it better.
19:58LaurelsHow does your dick smell like Fritos?
14:36 MimiI THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE FRIENDS > 14:36MimiI THOUGHT YOU REALLY LICKED HER

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

February 24th, 2016, 2:34 am #41

Thanks for the support! <3

I'd love to have you involved in any way you care to be.

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

February 28th, 2016, 9:37 am #42

A couple quick notes here:

1. It's been almost a week, so if you'd like to put forth your characters and have not yet or would like to chat about the portrayal of your characters and have not yet, please drop me a line ASAP. As mentioned, I can probably add characters beyond the week deadline but most likely they'll be in increasingly minor/sidelined roles, because I'm moving into fairly serious outlining of major game events.

2. The site I have the demo hosted on may not allow me to reupload it after it lapses in a couple days, as it gave me some grief when I tried to post a bugfixed version a couple days ago. I don't plan for the demo to be offline for long, but it may go down for a day or two while I investigate hosting options. If you want it and it's not online at the moment, PM me an email address to send it to and I can just email it to you directly.

General Goose
Winner

February 28th, 2016, 10:06 am #43

I gotta say, you nailed Yags.
V7 peeps:
Nick Ogilvie
Ashlynn Martinek
Bill Winlock
Camille Bellegarde

V6 peeps:
Kiziah Saraki
Bradley Floyd

NotAFlyingToy
Winner

February 28th, 2016, 5:43 pm #44

As a suggestion, you could host it on a private Gdocs folder. It's stay around a while.
A list of the dying, a list of the damned.
[+] Spoiler
We've yet to live and soon will fall.

B027: Oskar Pearce has his shields up -- Step back from it, Jane. (Adopted from SansaSaver!)
[+] Spoiler
We've fought and fought and lost it all.

G063: Natali Greer fell into sadness and couldn't get out -- Everything was going to be alright. (Adopted Posthumously from backslash!)
B067: Brandon Baxter died as he lived -- On his own terms.
B076: Hansel Williams wasn't wrong, in the end -- I wouldn't change anything. Not a goddamn thing.
[+] Spoiler
Here in the wings, we wait for the call.

Jaden Bertelli wants you to be better -- Work harder, no excuses.
Miley Sacramento isn't looking for the long-term -- Like, why are the democrats an elephant, anyway?
Robert Munnings hates your favourite teacher -- We hurt ourselves so that others can't.
Kelsey Hamilton is going to be the best in the world -- Out of my way, dead man.
Asher Glas really admires the way you carry yourself -- Oh, hey - let me get that for you.
"Skinny" Trevor Sharpe would sell the shirt off of your back -- Pick your poison.

KamiKaze
Winner

February 28th, 2016, 6:38 pm #45

I just played it!

I pretty much immediately went over to Nina and repeatedly went through all the dialogue options for her, admittedly. I think you've been doing a good job with her. X3
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."
[+] Spoiler
In Loving Memory Of Those Killed In The 2008 SOTF
Carol Burke- Female Student #015- A good friend.
Remy Kim- Male Student #080- Yet another victim of the system.
Aileen Borden- Female Student #022- It's going to be okay.

In Loving Memory Of Those Killed In The 2012 SOTF
Alexandria "Alex" Ripley- Female Student #002- Sometimes your life is meant to be a warning to others.
Lana Torres- Female Student #039- Technically, she died happy.
Miranda Millers- Female Student #019- Doomed by self-fulfilling prophecy.

In Loving Memory of Those Killed in the 2015 SOTF
Jennifer Wallace- Female Student #055- Good night, and good luck.
Junko Kurosawa- Female Student #041- Experienced a thrill to die for.
Emma Luz- Female Student #022- Sweet dreams.

....?
Anna Chase- Female Student #010- And then she lived happily ever after.
[+] Spoiler
For v6, I have come to a decision. To help lessen character pimping, I have vowed not to talk about my characters, any characters closely related to mine, or any threads I've been involved in, in any of the following places:

- Chat
- General Discussion thread
- TV Tropes
- Random Thoughts

I am not allowing myself to talk about anything relating to my characters or scenes I'm in unless they are brought up in conversation by another handler. I am not allowed to use my characters' names OOC or mention anything relating to that character until another handler mentions them. This is not currently in effect for pre-game; these self-imposed rules do not apply until v6 starts. However, they will be in effect the second v6 is announced. When one of my characters die, escape, or are otherwise removed from the game, these rules are lifted for that character, and I am free to talk about that character as much as I want. However, the others will have to wait until they too are out of the game.

This is a personal promise I'm keeping to myself for v6. If I break it, please feel free to bitch me out.

-KamiKaze

Addendum as of v6: I may ask for critiques while a character's arc is ongoing, as long as someone has offered to do so.
Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.