Examples of characters in the in-person version:
- Loknar the Dovakhiin, a Dragonborn Dragonblooded Dragon sorcerer whose build was optimized to make FUS RO DAH every other round the correct call.
- Tokey Blazelord, a Fire Genasi Swordmage who was born on a meteor crashing into a volcano and raised by 420 Fire Wolves.
- William Shatner
Examples of things that happened in the in-person version:
- William Shatner surfing through the air on a bar table that Loknar had just flipped at the enemies, screaming his fearsome spoken word battle cries.
- During the Tournament of Fun put on by the Order, the party playing Capture the Flag against the Wu-Tang Clan.
If this sounds like the sort of game you'd be interested in, please make a post indicating such. Furthermore, please say any preferences you have about which of the four roles you'd like to be. For people unfamiliar with 4e, they are:
- Defender (tank, protects party members, draws aggro)
- Leader (healer/buffer, often enables party members to make extra attacks)
- Striker (single target killer, usually incredibly mobile)
- Controller (AoE attacks, debuffs, battlefield control)
If you're wondering which is the DPS, technically Strikers do the most, but they're all kinda DPS. Everybody, including dedicated Leaders, does respectable damage. "Everybody gets to feel like a badass" is a core principle of 4e design, and one I feel like it achieves pretty well.
I have a D&D Insider account, so literally all of the published 4e material ever is available. If you've got a character concept, send it to me via chat or forum PM and I'll help figure out turning it into something with stats.
Alright last thing, two important pieces of 4e design that are key to Funhavers:
- There's a section in the Dungeon Master's Guide called Page 42. It's a giant table and several paragraphs of information that acts as guidelines for how to resolve it when a PC tells you "I wanna do this badass situational thing that's not on my character sheet but is cool or hilarious or both". If we're in combat and one of you asks "Can I do crazy thing X?" The answer is always yes. I'll use Page 42 to determine the results.
- Everything can be reskinned. If you're worried that some Warlord attack's flavor talks about giving an intimidating, demoralizing shout, and your character is more of a "FUCK YEAH EVERYTHING IS AWESOME" Warlord, that is no problem. We can reskin the attack to be uproarious laughter that confuses your opponents and throws them off their game. Mechanical effects are the same, but the answer to "Can we fudge flavor to make it more in line with my character's concept?" is again always yet.
We're gonna be starting at level 1 with standard point buy rules, if you already know how to play and already wanna start making a character for yourself. But I highly encourage talking to me about characters so we can work together on making over-the-top, overpowered motherfuckers.
Edit: JUST KIDDING I FORGOT SOMETHING. So the setting of this campaign is INCREDIBLY NEBULOUS. Things that exist are a) The Funhavers and the Grimdark, b) Things present in the current set piece that we're playing, and c) Whatever crazy shit the PCs decide exists for purposes of their backstories. I reserve veto power on any setting element you guys propose, but as long as you don't come to me with the Castle of Rape Jokes, I can't imagine actually denying anything. Alright, get to work thinking of incredibly stupid shit, kids.
2) Moonlight Drive - Shardmind Psion (Controller
3) Espional - Yamahamakunoko Hajimenaninjayu: Human Fighter (Defender)
4) Shangela - Human Warlord (Leader)
5) Aristeia - Pixie Assassin (Striker)
6) DocBalance - ??? Artificer (Leader)
7) CondorTalon Elf Druid (Controller)