D&D 4e: Funhavers! Interest Check Thread

Jonny
Leader

June 24th, 2013, 7:54 pm #1

So this past year I've been running a 4th Edition D&D campaign in person, called Funhavers. It's on hiatus for the summer. The premise is that the PCs are members of the Sacred Order of Funhavers, sworn to defend the world from the encroaching tide of the Grimdark. The tenets of the Funhavers are to spread joy, smoke blunts (optional), have fun, and above all, do ridiculous shit whenever possible. The Grimdark is a coalition of unsavory types that want everything to be dark and tragic and angsty and mature, and we are not about to have any of that bullshit here.

Examples of characters in the in-person version:
- Loknar the Dovakhiin, a Dragonborn Dragonblooded Dragon sorcerer whose build was optimized to make FUS RO DAH every other round the correct call.
- Tokey Blazelord, a Fire Genasi Swordmage who was born on a meteor crashing into a volcano and raised by 420 Fire Wolves.
- William Shatner

Examples of things that happened in the in-person version:
- William Shatner surfing through the air on a bar table that Loknar had just flipped at the enemies, screaming his fearsome spoken word battle cries.
- During the Tournament of Fun put on by the Order, the party playing Capture the Flag against the Wu-Tang Clan.

If this sounds like the sort of game you'd be interested in, please make a post indicating such. Furthermore, please say any preferences you have about which of the four roles you'd like to be. For people unfamiliar with 4e, they are:
- Defender (tank, protects party members, draws aggro)
- Leader (healer/buffer, often enables party members to make extra attacks)
- Striker (single target killer, usually incredibly mobile)
- Controller (AoE attacks, debuffs, battlefield control)

If you're wondering which is the DPS, technically Strikers do the most, but they're all kinda DPS. Everybody, including dedicated Leaders, does respectable damage. "Everybody gets to feel like a badass" is a core principle of 4e design, and one I feel like it achieves pretty well.

I have a D&D Insider account, so literally all of the published 4e material ever is available. If you've got a character concept, send it to me via chat or forum PM and I'll help figure out turning it into something with stats.

Alright last thing, two important pieces of 4e design that are key to Funhavers:
- There's a section in the Dungeon Master's Guide called Page 42. It's a giant table and several paragraphs of information that acts as guidelines for how to resolve it when a PC tells you "I wanna do this badass situational thing that's not on my character sheet but is cool or hilarious or both". If we're in combat and one of you asks "Can I do crazy thing X?" The answer is always yes. I'll use Page 42 to determine the results.
- Everything can be reskinned. If you're worried that some Warlord attack's flavor talks about giving an intimidating, demoralizing shout, and your character is more of a "FUCK YEAH EVERYTHING IS AWESOME" Warlord, that is no problem. We can reskin the attack to be uproarious laughter that confuses your opponents and throws them off their game. Mechanical effects are the same, but the answer to "Can we fudge flavor to make it more in line with my character's concept?" is again always yet.

We're gonna be starting at level 1 with standard point buy rules, if you already know how to play and already wanna start making a character for yourself. But I highly encourage talking to me about characters so we can work together on making over-the-top, overpowered motherfuckers.

Edit: JUST KIDDING I FORGOT SOMETHING. So the setting of this campaign is INCREDIBLY NEBULOUS. Things that exist are a) The Funhavers and the Grimdark, b) Things present in the current set piece that we're playing, and c) Whatever crazy shit the PCs decide exists for purposes of their backstories. I reserve veto power on any setting element you guys propose, but as long as you don't come to me with the Castle of Rape Jokes, I can't imagine actually denying anything. Alright, get to work thinking of incredibly stupid shit, kids.
PARTY ROSTER TIME
1) Daemon - Minotaur Monk (Striker)
2) Moonlight Drive - Shardmind Psion (Controller
3) Espional - Yamahamakunoko Hajimenaninjayu: Human Fighter (Defender)
4) Shangela - Human Warlord (Leader)
5) Aristeia - Pixie Assassin (Striker)
6) DocBalance - ??? Artificer (Leader)
---
7) CondorTalon Elf Druid (Controller)

Deamon
Mr. Danya
Deamon
Mr. Danya

June 24th, 2013, 7:55 pm #2

So so in and most likely will be a striker.
Forrest Quin - At the Zoo
Bret Carter - On a date
Aliya Kimia Nemati - In Training
Arizona - Practicing
[+] Spoiler
Kimiko Kao - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯ - ☯
Travis "Trav" Lynch - ♞ - ♞ - ♞ - ♞ - ♞ - ♞ - ♞
Cameron Herrig - Ω - Ω - Ω
[+] Spoiler
Gray Emerson - "No. We don't follow."
Yasmin "Yaz" Carroll - "I don't really have a plan anymore."
Christopher Harlin - "You can look me in the eyes and shoot me."

Badb
Mr. Danya

June 24th, 2013, 7:56 pm #3

IN LIKE FLYNN

e: I wanna be a Shardmind controller

ee: I am going to be a Shardmind Psion. Also a hardcore gangsta rapper.
V5:
B035 - [color=EF98AA]Ray Gilbert[/color] - DECEASED - Guy Fawkes Mask - Too Far Gone
G029 - Zoe Leverett - DECEASED - Machete - To Really Be Alone, To Pick At All the Bones
[/spoiler]
wrote:[18:10] <Laurels> WWJD? Fuck corpses, apparently
wrote:[15:16] <Naft> My college once nearly burned down because someone tried to make a bong out of dollar bills and the fire alarm didn't work

Espi
Winner

June 24th, 2013, 7:57 pm #4

In as long as it doesn't die.

Thinking of playing a Sorcerer, or Wizard. However I am open to being any role required.
V5: Cut Short
Theodore Fletcher
Nina Clarke
Gwen O'Connor

V6: Broken Down
Alice Baker (->Aura)
Henry Spencer
Blair Moore

V7: Unprepared
Rhonda Lawson[/b
Toby Underwood
Paloma Salt

Shangela
Survivor

June 24th, 2013, 9:07 pm #6

Oooh, this sounds potentially pretty cool.

I'm totally in if my character can essentially Tanesha from the Bad Girls Club.

I want to be the embodiment of sass.

Oh, and for roles, I'm fine with whatever. Back in my WoW days, I played ever healing class under the sun. So I guess I'd pick Leader as my first choice. Once a heal whore, always a heal whore right?

-Credit goes to the lovely and talented Payouni of DeviantArt
Take another drag, turn me to ashes
Ready for another lie?
Says he's gonna teach me just what fast is,
Says it's gonna be alright

NOTE:I'm always looking for helpful critique on my roleplaying. If you see something you like (or don't like) feel free to PM me. I'll only get better with the more advice you all give me~
[+] Spoiler
Cards

Do I feel like a hero?/ Who wants to take the bullet?

SOTF v5 Character Roster
G074: Brianna Battaglia
Weapons: Wooden Practice Katana (Assigned), Sharpened Ice Skating Blade (Given by Chris Harlin), Browning Hi-Power 9mm handgun (Taken from Theodore Fletcher)
Death:Suicide via Drug Overdose (91/152)
Storyline Progression: (Start) I -> II -> III -> IV -> V -> VI (End)
Quote:"There's a way off of this island, but we're only going to find it if we work together."
---
B036:Benjamin Ward (Adopted from Solomir)
Weapons: Box Cutter (Pilfered from High School), Scythe (Left by Katarina Konipaski)
Death: Exsanguination via Stab Wound to the Femoral Artery (53/152)
Kill Count: 2 (Oscar Trig, Janie Sinneave)
Storyline Progression: (Solomir-Start) I -> II (Solomir-End) -> (Start)III -> IV -> V -> VI ->VII (End)
Quote: TBD
[+] Spoiler
B??? - Cormac Callen: Formerly a football hero, dreaming of being a military hero, currently a lost boy, searching for a new identity.
G??? - Henry Hawkins: Formerly a cancer survivor, begging for life, currently a track superstar, crafting her second shot at life.
G??? - Fatima Farhan: Formerly an outcast, finding solace in her school work, currently a fashionista, masquerading behind a veil of confidence.
B??? - Geoffrey Go: Formerly just a kid, making everybody laugh, currently an activist, running for Class President.

Jonny
Leader

June 24th, 2013, 9:18 pm #7

It is totally possible to play a Warlord where all her attacks work via sassing the hell out of both enemies and allies. You sass an ally's lazy ass, inspiring them to make an extra attack. You sass an enemy, demoralizing them and making it easier for your allies to beat them up.

aristeia
Cannon Fodder
aristeia
Cannon Fodder

June 24th, 2013, 9:19 pm #8

If you have another space I would happily play (any role needed really). However, if not I call 1st reserve please.

Jonny
Leader

June 24th, 2013, 10:05 pm #9

4e works best with a party of 4-6. So everyone who's posted so far, unless you end up thinking the better of this, you're the starting party. Congratulations. Everyone else, you can make characters to reserve spots. Basically, here's how shit will work: this game is episodic and about specific set pieces. Before each episode, I'll ask each player to "sign in", just confirming that they'll be available for an episode. If someone doesn't sign in, the spot for that episode goes to the next person down on the list. If someone goes AWOL during the episode, I'll take over running them for the rest of it (unless it's at pretty much the beginning of the episode, in which case I'll go down the list as if the episode hadn't started yet). If you go AWOL, you get put at the bottom of the priority list for who's part of the next episode, and I pick the new "top six" accordingly.

Does that all sound reasonable to everyone?

Espi
Winner

June 24th, 2013, 10:06 pm #10

So basically we'd be rapid-fire posting? If so, sounds good. If not, I may need help because I wouldn't understand.
Theodore Fletcher
Nina Clarke
Gwen O'Connor

Alice Baker (->Aura)
Henry Spencer
Blair Moore

Rhonda Lawson[/b
Toby Underwood
Paloma Salt

Shangela
Survivor

June 24th, 2013, 10:12 pm #11

Sounds pretty fair to me, Johnny Boy. The pipes, the pipes are pipping.

I must confess that I haven't played DnD since version 3.5, so I'm not entirely familiar with the new rules and inner workings of the 4e. That being said, I'm looking at it right now and it doesn't seem too far outside of my range of ability to comprehend. Will we get to work with you on character creation and equipment selection before the first official episode?

I've narrowed down my choices to either sassy Warlord, or sassy Cleric. Whichever is needed more for our party's makeup, I'm fine with.

-Credit goes to the lovely and talented Payouni of DeviantArt
Take another drag, turn me to ashes
Ready for another lie?
Says he's gonna teach me just what fast is,
Says it's gonna be alright

NOTE:I'm always looking for helpful critique on my roleplaying. If you see something you like (or don't like) feel free to PM me. I'll only get better with the more advice you all give me~
[+] Spoiler
Cards

Do I feel like a hero?/ Who wants to take the bullet?

SOTF v5 Character Roster
G074: Brianna Battaglia
Weapons: Wooden Practice Katana (Assigned), Sharpened Ice Skating Blade (Given by Chris Harlin), Browning Hi-Power 9mm handgun (Taken from Theodore Fletcher)
Death:Suicide via Drug Overdose (91/152)
Storyline Progression: (Start) I -> II -> III -> IV -> V -> VI (End)
Quote:"There's a way off of this island, but we're only going to find it if we work together."
---
B036:Benjamin Ward (Adopted from Solomir)
Weapons: Box Cutter (Pilfered from High School), Scythe (Left by Katarina Konipaski)
Death: Exsanguination via Stab Wound to the Femoral Artery (53/152)
Kill Count: 2 (Oscar Trig, Janie Sinneave)
Storyline Progression: (Solomir-Start) I -> II (Solomir-End) -> (Start)III -> IV -> V -> VI ->VII (End)
Quote: TBD
[+] Spoiler
B??? - Cormac Callen: Formerly a football hero, dreaming of being a military hero, currently a lost boy, searching for a new identity.
G??? - Henry Hawkins: Formerly a cancer survivor, begging for life, currently a track superstar, crafting her second shot at life.
G??? - Fatima Farhan: Formerly an outcast, finding solace in her school work, currently a fashionista, masquerading behind a veil of confidence.
B??? - Geoffrey Go: Formerly just a kid, making everybody laugh, currently an activist, running for Class President.

Jonny
Leader

June 25th, 2013, 12:08 am #12

Espional wrote:So basically we'd be rapid-fire posting? If so, sounds good. If not, I may need help because I wouldn't understand.
Nah, not really rapid-fire, or at least not what I conceive of as rapid-fire. If you're busy and you need a couple of days before you resolve your combat round, that's okay. But if combat's being held up because it's been somebody's turn for a week, that's when I consider it going AWOL.

Shangela, I'm totally up for helping with character creation and refreshing you on rules. I'm often hanging around in the SotF chatroom, and my IM addresses are DigitalDescartes@gmail.com (gchat, duh) and AngelPretentieux (AIM). Feel free to hit me up using any of those options, and I'll be glad to help build a ridiculously overpowered character for you.

Emprexx Plush
Mr. Danya

June 26th, 2013, 8:22 am #14

Alright, so I have no goddamn clue about how anything works in 4e, but this has me determined to learn. I'm going to start reading up and trying to build a Glyphologist based around graffiti art to match Dom's rapping Shardmind, because if I have the option to do that why would I ever do anything else?
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
G056, Alda Abbate(Adopted)
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
[+] Spoiler
B062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
[+] Spoiler
B014, Joachim Lovelace(Adopted)
Your turn.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
Isaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars

NPCs:
Jacob Brooks: ... Character Theme: 1812 Overture-Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
[+] Spoiler
Blaise d'Aramitz: Blonde Hair, Black Lungs-Sorority Noise
Helena 'Hel" Fury: Okay, but riddle me this: where in the rulebook does it say it's not a series of automatic critical hits if I Flurry of Blows an ogre's nutsack like a speedbag? Bad Liar-Selena Gomez
Jeremiah Widdlestone: NOT--FOR--YOU 911/Mr. Lonely-Tyler The Creator
Damian Riccardo Maradona Reyes: I'll go all day, all week, all year if I gotta, big guy. Just try and stop me. Years Of War-Porter Robinson
Barbara "Babs" Mulaney: One. Deux. Tres. Vier. Fem. Yug. Haft. Aath. Dyev-yat. Dez. Might Tell You Tonight-Scissor Sisters
Zyzzx Rigs: Last of the first, folks. Light me up.You Know You Like It - DJ Snake ft.
AlunaGeorge
[+] Spoiler
Some Guy Probably: A thing he said? Character Theme: Flyers-Bradio
Alex Darby: Let's weigh what everyone brings to the table, and find a suitable compromise. It's in your best interest. Character theme: Devil's Gift-Shaman's Harvest
[+] Spoiler
Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!

Espi
Winner

June 26th, 2013, 11:11 am #15

*Doesn't recognize class*

*Clicks link*

*dandwiki*

Yeah, that's a homebrew class. I dunno what Jonny says about that, but I don't know if we can use those.

As for me, I am working on a weird hybrid-old-karate-guy-samurai-with-mysterious-backstory but I am not sure if I know what I am doing with it. I think I can make it work, but it'd be cool if Jonny could look it over and see how effective/useful it is.
Theodore Fletcher
Nina Clarke
Gwen O'Connor

Alice Baker (->Aura)
Henry Spencer
Blair Moore

Rhonda Lawson[/b
Toby Underwood
Paloma Salt