Grim Wolf
Winner

July 27th, 2013, 6:25 pm #16

Yeah, to second that point, I was part of a class of around 800, but am reasonably confident I only knew the names and faces of 50 or 60 students. Then again, I'm bad with both names and faces.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."
[+] Spoiler

G053 Karen Idel, DECEASED: Game over.

B040 Tyler Lucas, DECEASED: I had fun. You?

B046 Xavier Contel, DECEASED : "G-gotta...trust people, Arthur. G-g-gotta try. C-can't be afraid."
[+] Spoiler

B054 Raidon Naoko (DECEASED): "Dying like this isn't so bad..."

B072 Simon Grey (DECEASED): "I never was a hero, but, God help me, I tried."

B079 David Meramac (DECEASED): "Running towards nothing. Running from nothing."

G072 Mirabelle Nesa (DECEASED): "I'm a weak little girl who couldn't save anyone, even myself, but god damn it I beat you and god damn it you are going to remember that because I am Mirabelle Nesa and I am a hardened goddamn warrior and I am not going to fucking give up now!"

D/N
Contender

July 27th, 2013, 7:13 pm #17

Coming from an Ontario high school with a graduating class of, I dunno, 300 or so, 350? I probably at least knew the vast majority (90%+) of my class in terms of names and faces. There were tons of kids I never had a class with, but again, you usually at least know who the person is, even if you've never spoken to them before. If I had my yearbook around, it might be fun to dig it out and see how right that guess is.

But as this topic shows, I guess it's totally different for other folks. And if my grade had 600 people instead of 300 I'm sure there would've been lots more kids I didn't know.

That said, when it comes to SOTF I usually prefer to have my characters at least know who the other person is in a thread, even if it's in terms of "Larry didn't know Wilhelmina all that well", because as I've said before, introducing-each-other scenes are godawful and horrible and boring wastes of time to write and read.
v6!
G058: Kaitlyn Greene aka Katy Buried - Horse Tranquilizer and Syringe
She Knew She'd Found Freedom - Questions - Fools - Barons - Opportunities - Sideshows - Dawns - Gulches

v5!
G038: Deanna Hull - Replica Freddy Glove - DECEASED
From Sea to Sky -Smoke--Sun--Tiki--Nine--Repeat--Talk--Now--Drift--Hunger--Valley--Fall--Rust--Paper--Heart--Sky-
B023: Jesse Jennings - Riz Action Figure - DECEASED
From Vision to Glory -Vision--Summon--Time--Plan--Length--Sleep--Cause-

v4!
B006: Ricky Fortino - Trowel - DECEASED
B022: Imraan Al-Hariq - Remington 870 - DECEASED
G036: Carly Jean Dooley - VASE D: - DECEASED
G077: Andrea Raymer - Gunpowder - ?????

swirlythingy
Survivor

July 28th, 2013, 3:26 pm #18

I'm probably an extreme example even by the standards of the other antisocials in this thread, but I doubt that the total number of names - let alone faces - I've ever known in all my life would amount to about 300 times 90%. Faces are particularly bad for me. I can count the number of people on my university course I could both recognise and name, if not quite on one hand, then certainly less than two. If I were dumped in an SOTF-type situation (hmm... I'm sure there's a thread for that somewhere around here) I know for certain I'd be one of those students who has to be newly introduced to every single other character they meet.

People who just know the names and faces of people they've never met, have nothing in common with and have never spoken to seriously creep me out. I've had it happen to me on multiple occasions.
...in my pants.

B065 Edgar Tolstoff (adopted from aristeia) - Syrup of Ipecac - Lost a debate with a chainsaw (Storage Yard)

All your favourite heinous acts of terrorism and murder, now available in handy infographic form!

MK Kilmarnock
Mr. Danya

July 28th, 2013, 3:52 pm #19

The reason why it's always been so hard for me to take is that I came out of a class of 230, was one of the less popular kids in school, and I knew almost everybody in the class. Not every single face and name, but I sure as hell knew at least 90% of them. This was after having been in the school system for only four years (I moved to my mother's for high school).

So people not remembering who half their classmates are in smaller classes just strikes me as them not paying attention to any of their surroundings ever or simply not giving a shit.
[+] Spoiler
Jerry Fury - The man, the myth, the legend
Coleen Reagan - The girl who half-loved the world
[+] Spoiler
V5 Roster:
Cody Patton : That bitch.
Sean Mulcahy : The world was kind to reprieve him of his fear...
Jessica Sanders: She hoped it would be quick...
[+] Spoiler
20:17Sideliner:Toben and Ricky are like a sibling version of the Joker and Batman, only Batman is just as much of a mass murderer. He just hides it better.
19:58LaurelsHow does your dick smell like Fritos?
14:36 MimiI THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE FRIENDS > 14:36MimiI THOUGHT YOU REALLY LICKED HER