Benjamin Lichter's social circles

Malloon
Survivor
Malloon
Survivor

August 19th, 2016, 5:31 pm #1

Hello,

I've created two social circles for Benjamin and thought I'd ask if people are interested in having their characters be part of them. I looked through all the profiles in the student roster and didn't think any of the characters really fit for these two groups, but I'd like a second opinion from their handlers if possible.

The first would be a group of oddballs; not necessarily straight A students, but a few people who didn't really fit into any other clique and sort of drifted together out of the wish to have a circle of friends. A communal activity they would partake in relatively often would be going to Sumac Park and picnicking.

The second would be a tabletop role playing group, with emphasis on role playing. Not all members go to Cochise.

A third "group" would be one or two people who remember Ben from middle school. Not really friends anymore (not close friends, anyway), but who remember his former habit of climbing trees and the like, as well as his old nickname "Squirrel".

Benjamin's relevant hobbies include kite flying, hiking and listening to pop music (and role playing, of course). He does love romance novels, but keeps this a closely held secret and likely won't bond with people over this (which I find sort of a shame, given the number of people who also had this listed in their hobbies, but it would be out of character for him to be open about this). He dislikes homosexuality due to latent christian morals, but this doesn't exclude the possibility of friendship - he just disapproves of it. His personality is open, generous and modest, and won't (and can't) generally hide his feelings, but he has only socialized in high school and is sometimes a bit awkward about it.

He makes a bad first impression, since he has a(n undeserved) mischievous look about him, so characters who bank on this will be given to distrust him.
V6 Character:
Benjamin "Squirrel" Lichter [ ~ / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / > ] - You'll find him in the clouds.
V7 Characters:
Chloe Bruges [ - ] - You'll find her doing math.
Joseph "Joey" Quintero - You'll find him writing speaches.
Keith Rogers - You'll find him out with his gang.
[+] Spoiler
Putting this here, so people know, if it ever becomes relevant (unlikely, but still): If you want to use my characters for anything non-profit, you may, without contacting me even (though it would be nice regardless). All I want is a small mention that gives me credit for first concieving of them. If you want to use my characters for something for-profit, if it's just a cameo or similar, you also may, under the same terms; if it's a more substantial role, I don't want to chain myself to any statement - then contact me.

Cicada Days
Winner

August 20th, 2016, 12:26 pm #2

Hey there Malloon! Glad Squirrel was able to make it into V6! I've got two ideas to present to ya:

Irene could be part of the tabletop group! She's friendly and loud and dramatic, both in general and at the table. They're both awkward and might occasionally disagree from a moralistic standpoint on the liberal vs. conservative scale, but around the table at least I figure they're friendly and seem to be the type who have fun roleplaying it out.

Ben could have briefly tried to shelter the dude who shares his name back in middle school, back when Squirrel was teased and bullied more. They do share the whole younger sister they love dearly thing too, and they share similar moral outlooks. They've probably mostly drifted apart but still occasionally pass and greet each other in the hallways and such. Ben would probably assume Squirrel is doing a bit better for himself, to the point where he doesn't have to look out for his old charge anymore.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
"C'mon! It's just a prank, bro."

- Memories - 1 - Pregame - 1 2 3 4
Unofficial Theme : 'When it's clear to everybody I'm always the last to know.'
Extra art by Mimi! (1)
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Sprite credit to Yugikun (Beryl Mahelona, Gyu-ri Christensen, and Demetri Fustcher) and Fenris (Charelle Chernyshyova, Ramsey Cortez, and Joanne Coleman).
[+] Spoiler
Character Relationships (no longer updated)
Hero | Swap
[+] Spoiler

B036 - Dead
(Adopted from Yugikun)
[+] Spoiler
"And you were the one looking to pick a fight. Don't complain when you don't get the one you want."
- Memories - 1 2 3 4 5 - Pregame - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 - Sadie Hawkins - 1 2
[+] Spoiler
"Hope that's good enough."
- Arsenal - Bag of dried chipotle chilies (LOST)
- Island - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
- Meanwhile - 1 2
[+] Spoiler

G047 - Dead
[+] Spoiler
"It's Tina."
- Memories - 1 - Pregame - 1 - Sadie Hawkins -
[+] Spoiler
"You're nothing."
- Arsenal - The 'Man Catcher' (LOST)
- Island - 1 2
- Meanwhile - 1
- ??? - 1
Sprite credit to Fenris (Ben Fields) and Yugikun (Tina Luz).

The Burned Handler
Mr. Danya

August 20th, 2016, 12:52 pm #3

Any time Roderick sees Ben, he feels compelled to suplex him

Kidding, kidding. I'm not sure either of my lads would necessarily go out of their way to interact with him, or be particularly aware of him for that matter, but there's not much reason either wouldn't be decent to him if they did cross paths. Cris might be vaguely aware of Squirrel's existence if he knows Cicada's Ben, with the whole teammates thing, plus the fact the baseball team practises (and plays home games) at Sumac Park.
MurderWeasel getting impatient wrote:Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.
wrote:18:48 Ruggawork I have faith in you!
18:48 Ruggawork and your ass!
wrote:16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Iktor?
16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Toben.
16:35 Kilmarnock hard to tell until they make out with me.
16:35 *** mib_6brm7d is now known as Irene
[+] Spoiler
wrote:11:55 Zarina turns out I work best with people when most of the people are dead
wrote:18:30 Slam Well we don't really do showers in the UK
wrote:05:57 *** Christian joined #sotf
05:58 shotgunkid oh crap
wrote:05:54 frogue i can be a time consuming process!
wrote:16:47 Irene "let it sit for half an hour, it's better when it's not so cold" he said.
16:47 Irene well...
16:48 Irene it exploaded.
16:48 Irene all over my hands.
Gianni no wrote:15:54 Aloha Leg cramps happened suddenly and i can't move X_X
15:55 Gianni wb :3
wrote:21:20 *** Persy joined #sotf
21:21 Gianni Hey Persy!
21:21 Namira my mutant alchemist
wrote:21:31 Pancapples [The weather] Was beautiful today.
21:33 Solitair oh no
wrote:18:48 Ruggawork Who doesn't want to rape Bro
wrote:17:30 Ohm Sweet, I'm using then
wrote:14:18 Wes 'm so hungry ;c
14:18 Wes :c8
14:18 Wes...
14:18 Wes fuck it
14:18 mib_7zyd33 That's not what you're supposed to do to food.
14:19 Imehal Nah, that's kinda par for the course around here.
14:19--- Ohm is away (Ew)
wrote:14:50Pancapples I kinda miss the Crusades now.
Bad Ohm! wrote:18:51*** RC quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
18:51 Ohmfg Yay!
Laur doesn't like people being in chat wrote:18:33 Laurels Agh, people are here
18:33*** Laurels quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
Germany vs. Germany! wrote:18:47 RC I should send my list of ideas to SOTF_Help once I get rid of the dumb ones on the list
18:48 Bikriki so you want to send them an empty list?
wrote:19:40 uyugin taking bets on who will be the big douche in v6
19:40 Kilmarnock Actually I'm going with Laur.
wrote:14:01 Kilmarnock Girl!Slam was cute I guess.
wrote:11:29 Naft Dude uncool
11:29 Naft I was talking about conceptual penises and you made the penises real
wrote:13:59 Solitair I love seeing people get mentally broken

Malloon
Survivor
Malloon
Survivor

August 21st, 2016, 3:58 pm #4

Hey Cicada! I remember Ben from the profiles. It sort of surprised me to come across a character who was so similar in many ways to my Ben, including the name, but I didn't think they would really work as friends. But having Ben Fields be a friend from middle school who stuck up for him makes a tonne of sense, and I love it the more I think about it!

As for Irene, given her bisexuality and her tendency not to drop grudges (and Ben's inability to mask his feelings), I think it would work if we assume the topic of homo or bisexuality never came up during tabletop sessions. What I am worried about is if her flaky nature allows for her to be part of a longer role playing game. Even if this isn't the case, it might still work if we assume the group does a lot of one-offs and short games of only a few sessions long.

As for the Burned Handler, I like the idea of there being at least facial recognition between your lads and Ben. Ties him to the school and town a bit more.

As for being suplexed... I'm not exactly sure how Ben would react to that. I'm not even sure he knows. I'm going to have some fun with that image.
V6 Character:
Benjamin "Squirrel" Lichter [ ~ / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / > ] - You'll find him in the clouds.
V7 Characters:
[+] Spoiler
Putting this here, so people know, if it ever becomes relevant (unlikely, but still): If you want to use my characters for anything non-profit, you may, without contacting me even (though it would be nice regardless). All I want is a small mention that gives me credit for first concieving of them. If you want to use my characters for something for-profit, if it's just a cameo or similar, you also may, under the same terms; if it's a more substantial role, I don't want to chain myself to any statement - then contact me.

CrossbowPig
Contender

August 21st, 2016, 4:21 pm #5

I bet that Lili would probably drop in with the oddball group every once or twice, maybe just making casual conversation in the park while she flew her kite. Heck, the both of them like to fly kites, so maybe there would be a few occasions where they flew kites together? Overall I can see the two being on pretty good terms with each other in general, so long as the whole pop music thing doesn't come up often, Lili's got a bit of a pretentious side.

I'm not too sure that Arthur would have much interaction with Ben apart from being in the same grade as him, and overall I don't think that they'd really fit into the same social circles. The two would probably be on more neutral terms, with Arthur taking a slight dislike to Ben if anything.

I'm glad that Squirrel got into V6, and I look forward to seeing him on the island!
~~~~~ Creativity's Burning Pyre ~~~~~
[+] Spoiler
- Violet Schmidt: "Well, sure, I guess I can try and help with that. Ever read Corpus Hermetica? It'll make understanding this easier." Memory-1, Facebook, Pregame-1, Pregame-2, Pregame-3

- Lucas Diaz: "I'd apologize, but I don't want to dig things up all over again, y'know?" Memory-1, Facebook, Pregame-1, Pregame-2

- Max Rudolph: "What the people need is a common banner under which to unite. It might not be what you want, but the fact of the matter is..." Facebook, Pregame-1, Pregame-2

- Liberty "Bert" Wren: "At eight? Let me see if that fits into my schedule. Been real busy lately." Facebook, Pregame-1
[+] Spoiler
/ - G051: Lili Williams: "Stop..." Memory-1, Pregame-1, Island-1, Island-2, Island-3, Island-4, Island-5, Island-6, Island-7, Island-8, Island-9, Island-10, Island-11, Island-12, Island-13, Island-14, Island-15, Island-16, Island-17, Island-18, Island-19.

/ - B043: Arthur Bernstein: "I...I'll...I'll..." Memory-1, Meanwhile-2, Island-1, Island-2, Island-3, Island-4, Island-5, Island-6, Island-7, Meanwhile-1
[+] Spoiler
- insert of lucky br8k!!!!!!!!
- insert of O.B. - white kid who is involved in politics and has divorced rich parents and issues with feeling emotions
- self-styled detective
- normie
- lou reed doing a gay voice
- insert of F.G.D. - black kid who wears a pizza hat and plays trumpet
- cute thing
- Darl from As I Lay Dying
- insert of A.B. my dorkass little brother who fancies himself a linguist and gets on my nerves
- good lives make bad stories
- insert of N.T. another floutist because I havent done one of those already
- hillbilly
- someone who doesnt "have a good time making allies" as an advantage
- pine barrens monster from the family that has a ghost butler
- David Foster Wallace
- furry
- myself again
- insert of K.D. a pianist and if you thought bert was smol, hohohohoho

Cicada Days
Winner

August 22nd, 2016, 1:08 am #6

Point on Irene! Could be interesting if they were ex-associates maybe. Irene used to be part of their group but she got in the occasional argument with Ben or others and then decided to bounce and move on to different nerd waters.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
"C'mon! It's just a prank, bro."

- Memories - 1 - Pregame - 1 2 3 4
Unofficial Theme : 'When it's clear to everybody I'm always the last to know.'
Extra art by Mimi! (1)
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Sprite credit to Yugikun (Beryl Mahelona, Gyu-ri Christensen, and Demetri Fustcher) and Fenris (Charelle Chernyshyova, Ramsey Cortez, and Joanne Coleman).
[+] Spoiler
Character Relationships (no longer updated)
Hero | Swap
[+] Spoiler

B036 - Dead
(Adopted from Yugikun)
[+] Spoiler
"And you were the one looking to pick a fight. Don't complain when you don't get the one you want."
- Memories - 1 2 3 4 5 - Pregame - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 - Sadie Hawkins - 1 2
[+] Spoiler
"Hope that's good enough."
- Arsenal - Bag of dried chipotle chilies (LOST)
- Island - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
- Meanwhile - 1 2
[+] Spoiler

G047 - Dead
[+] Spoiler
"It's Tina."
- Memories - 1 - Pregame - 1 - Sadie Hawkins -
[+] Spoiler
"You're nothing."
- Arsenal - The 'Man Catcher' (LOST)
- Island - 1 2
- Meanwhile - 1
- ??? - 1
Sprite credit to Fenris (Ben Fields) and Yugikun (Tina Luz).

Malloon
Survivor
Malloon
Survivor

August 22nd, 2016, 3:15 am #7

I just noticed I started three paragraphs with "As for [...]" in my last post. I must stop that.

The idea of Lili and Ben getting into a conversation through kite flying seems very logical, CrossbowPig, I like it. I'm guessing Ben would have initiated the conversation (given his newfound attitude of trying to socialize more and Lili not approaching others) and, since the conversation would undoubtedly turn to kite flying immediately, a subject which Lili cares about , she would be comfortable about the situation, right? After this initial conversation Ben would introduce her to his friends (either on the same day or the next time they were all in the park) and this would lead to her being casually acquainted with the group - this is how I imagine it, anyway. As for (there it is again... eh, I'll allow it) the music, Ben can understand people not liking pop and not bring it up (anytime he did that would be through a conscious effort to socialize, anyway, or with one of his friends who shares his love), and as long as Lili wasn't too rude (as in, still took him seriously), it wouldn't impact his friendliness.

He and Arthur wouldn't be part of the same social circles, I agree, though Ben probably wouldn't care about Arthur either way, as long as Arthur wasn't noticeably condescending to him, which, given his friendly and upbeat attitude, I don't think happened. Correct me if I'm wrong. The most I could see happening between them would happen on the island itself, with them (at best) bonding over their wanting to see their families and especially their younger sisters again, or (more probable) understanding on an emotional level what drives the other person. The falling out that springs to mind would be Arthur losing patience with Ben after the latter gets bored with and gives up on a task Arthur set him.

And Cicada, Irene being an ex-member of the group opens the possibility of the membership of the group being more fluid, which I like, since it gives more flexibility to any memory threads set around them - the only reason I haven't started one of these yet is because I wanted to nail down the members first. I'm wondering though, would Squirrel and Irene still be on good terms?

And regarding Ben being on the Island, I really, really want him to be, but I missed roll call - I posted in the thread on the 19th. Deamon said that people could be slotted in before first rolls and I sent him a pm yesterday as well. As of now Ben isn't part of the student roster - should I be worried?
V6 Character:
V7 Characters:
[+] Spoiler