DastardlyBananas
Cannon Fodder

September 15th, 2015, 4:34 am #16

Guess who hasn't been on SOTF in general for ages but then decides to update their art thread out of the blue because they feel guilty and also want to share all the stuff they've been doing lately. It's me. You don't actually get to guess.

Let me tell you the story of a little artist who started drawing every day and has been doing so since July 28th. There is a show called Steven Universe. This little artist liked that show very much. Too much, some might say, to which they would reply at first with scorn and then with eventual acceptance. This show inspired great love in the artist, to the point where the desire to draw fanart became too strong for them to bear, and they let loose the floodgates. They drew and drew, to the point where the sketch pages started filling up and the files started running out of good names. The artist watched their craft improve slowly in front of their very eyes, until finally, they just had to share it.

So here's the result of that, in chronological order! Fair warning, these are all HUGE. I apologize, but resizing every one of these canvases would be so much work that I'm just not up to. I'd recommend opening the image in a new tab if you can't see it. I'm sorry for the inconvenience!
[+] Spoiler

It started with some simple sketch pages like these. Just trying to figure out simple characters, complete with light drawing and bad scan quality.

It progressed to me getting back into digital art. This piece was hilarious, albeit a trial since I did it in the most inefficient way poosible.

This wasn't originally a screenshot redraw, but it turned into one and boy was it fun.

I eventually made a gemsona (a gem OC basically) for myself! This is Azurite. She's big and has an axe and loves to smile. She'll always carry through with her orders though, so no favors even if she likes you (she's basically lawful neutral with an emphasis on the lawful).

Behold, the one image that is not Steven Universe related! When messing around with brushes, this sprang into being. I'm not sure why, but it looks nice, so there you go.

Garnet is such an important character to me, so I made this absolutely precious icon of her for myself.

I should try painting more. This was a fun one to do.

Tumblr lets you have a banner for your blog, so I thought this screenshot redraw was a very appropriate one for myself.
Okay, I lied, these aren't entirely in chronological order. There's one I took out because it needed to be on its own.
[+] Spoiler

This took at least four days and threatened to give me carpal tunnel the whole time, but my GOD was it worth it. This particular piece was so much fun and looks so good! I'm incredibly proud of it, and I like to think of it as a real hallmark of my improvement.

Bonus original sketch:
Ah yes, the signature, the place where I make my individual mark upon every post I let see the light of day. Surely it should be something magnificent, something that truly captures my essence as the extraordinary person that I am?
Crap.
[+] Spoiler
Margaret Peters

Lovely sprite by Fenris!
[+] Spoiler
I have an art thread that I update sometimes. Kind of. I'm not consistent at all but the thread exists. You can go to it here.

MK Kilmarnock
Mr. Danya

September 15th, 2015, 7:01 am #17

You're pretty good.
[+] Spoiler
Jerry Fury - The man, the myth, the legend
Coleen Reagan - The girl who half-loved the world
[+] Spoiler
V5 Roster:
Cody Patton : That bitch.
Sean Mulcahy : The world was kind to reprieve him of his fear...
Jessica Sanders: She hoped it would be quick...
[+] Spoiler
20:17Sideliner:Toben and Ricky are like a sibling version of the Joker and Batman, only Batman is just as much of a mass murderer. He just hides it better.
19:58LaurelsHow does your dick smell like Fritos?
14:36 MimiI THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE FRIENDS > 14:36MimiI THOUGHT YOU REALLY LICKED HER

DastardlyBananas
Cannon Fodder

January 18th, 2016, 8:43 am #18

*coughs awkwardly*

I haven't posted anything in here since September. Well. Woops. Clearly 3 AM is the best time to fix this. I'm not going to post everything in here since that would be silly, but I can pick out a few nice things I've done. As usual, images are at their full size, so things might be a little big for forum format! I recommend opening them in a new tab if they're too big. I draw most of my stuff on 1500 x 2100 pixel canvases or larger, so that it can be printed at 300 dpi as 5 x 7 inches, but this does not convert well to forums.
[+] Spoiler

I remember drawing this while in a Skype call with a bunch of people playing League. I think I was sitting out a round or something. Regardless, Death remains as fun to draw as ever! I do so love this design.

I did this as a birthday present and it took like 5 days, oh my God. But it was really fun and I enjoyed it a lot! It's forever entwined with "No Children" and "Once in a Lifetime" though, since that's basically all I listened to while drawing it.

The atmosphere leading up to the ASGORE fight is fantastic, and it ended up rubbing off on this sweater doodle I did. I still like how Frisk's hair came out.

The fight with Undyne the Undying is actually one of my favorites and I'm kind of sad I can't do it myself. I can't bring myself to murder everyone though, especially Papyrus. I'll leave that to the true monsters.

This little doodle is so cute??? I don't know why; it just is. I adore it. It's actually my phone background right now. That's particularly impressive when you know that it replaced Vi's splash art, which had been my background since I first got my phone.

I really like this sketch for some reason. It's just...so good. Unfortunately, it loses its touch when I try to do anything with it. Oh well. Maybe some day I'll figure out what I like about it and how to keep that spark.

Getting back into sketching and painting finished pieces is hard and takes a long time for one drawing. But this is good and I like it, despite the errors I'm perfectly aware of but unfortunately unable to correct currently. I WILL BE PROUD, DANG IT!
Aaaand that's about it. I could include more stuff, but I think this is fine. I know I'm not really active on SOTF itself anywhere but here (and obviously I'm not very good at that either), but people still like art, right? ...Right?
Ah yes, the signature, the place where I make my individual mark upon every post I let see the light of day. Surely it should be something magnificent, something that truly captures my essence as the extraordinary person that I am?
Crap.
[+] Spoiler
Margaret Peters

Lovely sprite by Fenris!
[+] Spoiler
I have an art thread that I update sometimes. Kind of. I'm not consistent at all but the thread exists. You can go to it here.

DastardlyBananas
Cannon Fodder

January 19th, 2016, 6:44 am #20

In the interest of updating more often, I bring you today's daily art! I like how cute this sketch is, but that might just be because Goodra in general is precious.
[+] Spoiler

This is just a sketch that has been slightly cleaned up, but it's still art that people might enjoy looking at. Maybe?
For those interested in process, this is about the stage where I would begin moving on to inking (though I'm not sure if I will refine this particular doodle any more). I sketch everything in this particular light blue color because it makes this next stage much easier. The blue is easy enough for me to see against a white canvas when I'm sketching. Once I get to inking, I lower the opacity of the layer so that I can still see the base sketch, but it blends into the canvas enough that it doesn't distract from my lines. I also tend to ink in a dark red to help increase the contrast. I highly recommend using either of these techniques! It helped me a lot when I first started doing them, simply because it made everything much clearer.
Slam wrote: I also really like the sketch. Dandy art across the board, though~
Thank you so much! Comments mean a lot, even when they're really short. Just knowing that people like my stuff enough to say something helps keep me motivated to draw more!
Crap.
[+] Spoiler
Margaret Peters

Lovely sprite by Fenris!
[+] Spoiler

DastardlyBananas
Cannon Fodder

January 21st, 2016, 4:21 am #21

Aside from one bit of art homework, I spent all day doodling Goodra. Woops.
[+] Spoiler

I love making it more blobby and letting it stretch and squash all over the place.
Goodra! It's cute and easy to draw!
Crap.
[+] Spoiler
Margaret Peters

Lovely sprite by Fenris!
[+] Spoiler

DastardlyBananas
Cannon Fodder

February 6th, 2016, 5:59 am #22

One day I'll remember that posting art is a thing I should do. I can't even post stuff to my Tumblr regularly, and I'm on that far more often than here. Truly I am the best at this.

Anyway! I come bearing sketchbook pages and a finished piece! Remember to open this stuff in another tab; I am still too lazy to resize it. I'm sorry. I'm also sorry for my scanner quality; I don't do traditional art enough to be adept at using it.
[+] Spoiler

I'm pretty sure Peridot is at the top of the list of characters I draw the most often, and by quite a fair margin. However, I've never been fully satisfied with how I've drawn her, so here I shook up my style a bit and came up with a much better way of drawing her! You can compare the rest of the doodles on this page to the top left one, which was how I originally drew her. The top right is my personal favorite!

More doodles I thought looked good. Are you reading NEOKOSMOS? Because you should be reading NEOKOSMOS; it's fantastic. (And it's also what most of these doodles are for >.>)

Mettaton and Sardonyx would make the most spectacular and obnoxious of friends. I'd totally go to one of their performances, no doubt about it. This was practice learning Photoshop, since I've been using Paint Tool SAI for all of my digital art. It's weird and different, but I'm getting the hang of it! It was certainly fun to work on a piece like this!
Crap.
[+] Spoiler
Margaret Peters

Lovely sprite by Fenris!
[+] Spoiler

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

February 6th, 2016, 6:22 am #23

Just want to say once again that your stuff is really, really good. You're great at getting a lot of emotion and character into facial expressions particularly. Great job on all of these!

DastardlyBananas
Cannon Fodder

May 30th, 2016, 5:25 am #24

Will there ever be a time when I don't suck at posting my art consistently? Probably not.

I've actually been having a lot of trouble drawing stuff the past...few.......weeks. Hopefully posting some stuff will help? Anyway, here's some a lot of older stuff in chronological order. They're still huge, so if you've hated me for that in the past, prepare to hate me for it more now.
[+] Spoiler

This is probably the first time I managed to draw Jasper and like how she came out. I adore her because I'm really gay but have a hard time drawing her for whatever reason.

I redesigned my gemsona and she got even gayer. She can make her ax as big as she wants, so here she's making it pole-arm sized to pose with it like a dork. As you do.

I'm actually trying to transfer to an art school so I can study animation. This piece is called "Star Eater," and it's one of my first attempts at making a portfolio piece! It's based off of myths of dragons eating the sun during a solar eclipse. It was also partially inspired by the release of Aurelion Sol in League because star dragons are my Aesthetic.

I just wanted to draw teeth so I made up a skull I guess? I'm calling it "Something's Not Right," because I tried to intentionally make it look like it could be real, but there's just something off about it.

I'm just going to link this post because there's 5 drawings and that takes up a lot of room. I drew a bunch of Goodras I might make into stickers if I ever get around to finishing them! They're very cute, take my word for it.

Speaking of Aurelion Sol, here's a painting I did of him. This was fun, but the only parts of it I like now are the metal, oh well. His face is cool.

Listen. Listen. Sardonyx is great okay? And I'm not just saying that because I have a weakness for obnoxious show-off characters. ANYWAY these arms and hands are really good and I still like them even though this piece is like a month old at this point. So that's cool! I'm not sure if this is technically finished, but I'm not going to work on it anymore so just. Take it.
And now I shall retreat back to my cave and probably be inactive for another two months, knowing me.
Crap.
[+] Spoiler
Margaret Peters

Lovely sprite by Fenris!
[+] Spoiler