Ask a Mod

Cake
Contender
Cake
Contender

October 29th, 2014, 1:29 pm #1

This is just a suggestion for the SOTF staff:

I know we already have a chat room and the function of PM to ask questions, but not everyone uses chat, not everyone is on chat all the time (Staff or the handler asking), PM's to one staff member or even to the HELP account might not be immediately responded to, while there could be available staff around, who could reply sooner. (Saying this as a person who actually has a "PM Thread" since I first started here in Jan 2010, of questions directly back and forth with quite the speedy replier of the staff team, which I will probably continue to use, so I'm not suggesting this as a complaint of any kind. Just think it could help)

My thought is that perhaps a convenient way for, just about anyone really, is to have a thread specifically used as a place to ask questions to the staff basically, for any that may be online and available at the time to answer. I figure the more private/personal issues could be spoken through PM, but there might be some matters that could be helpful if asked/answered publicly, as a place of reference rather than repeatedly asking/answered by different people. Things such as useful FAQs written out can be directed as answers, etc, in one organized and convenient place. It's helpful, because a handler wouldn't need to jump into the chat room simply to ask a question, they could ask it and come back later. The idea has been used with much success from my experience. Perhaps, SOTF could adopt it as well, maybe? That's pretty much all for my suggestion = > an "Ask a Mod" thread. Hope you like the idea.

Q: As for a question since I'm here anyway suggesting on having a thread on asking about stuff, I was just wondering to myself if there's a board function where we could "bookmark" particular threads to our sotf board profiles here to easily click and get back to later. I didn't see one here, but I know some forums have that bookmark option. I figure it would be a particularly useful function on a board with a writing/story theme such as ours. I can't find one, so I doubt it exists, but I hope there is one, couldn't hurt to ask right.

NotAFlyingToy
Winner

October 29th, 2014, 2:27 pm #2

Question: Boxers or briefs?

Legit Question: What sort of protocols are in place to stop plagiarism, and what can the community expect the Staff team's response to be?
A list of the dying, a list of the damned.
[+] Spoiler
We've yet to live and soon will fall.

B027: Oskar Pearce has his shields up -- Step back from it, Jane. (Adopted from SansaSaver!)
[+] Spoiler
We've fought and fought and lost it all.

G063: Natali Greer fell into sadness and couldn't get out -- Everything was going to be alright. (Adopted Posthumously from backslash!)
B067: Brandon Baxter died as he lived -- On his own terms.
B076: Hansel Williams wasn't wrong, in the end -- I wouldn't change anything. Not a goddamn thing.
[+] Spoiler
Here in the wings, we wait for the call.

Jaden Bertelli wants you to be better -- Work harder, no excuses.
Miley Sacramento isn't looking for the long-term -- Like, why are the democrats an elephant, anyway?
Robert Munnings hates your favourite teacher -- We hurt ourselves so that others can't.
Kelsey Hamilton is going to be the best in the world -- Out of my way, dead man.
Asher Glas really admires the way you carry yourself -- Oh, hey - let me get that for you.
"Skinny" Trevor Sharpe would sell the shirt off of your back -- Pick your poison.

Ruggahissy
Mr. Danya

October 29th, 2014, 3:37 pm #3

NotAFlyingToy wrote:Question: Boxers or briefs?

Legit Question: What sort of protocols are in place to stop plagiarism, and what can the community expect the Staff team's response to be?
We have a plagiarism cyborg.

As far as plagiarism in posts, we're human-like creatures. If we notice it in posts then it gets addressed. This actually happened in v4. Someone was caught plagiarizing a popular author in posts. Not wanting to shame the person, a public warning was put out to deter plagiarism citing that we'd seen someone doing it. The person took that to heart and stopped.

Had they continued we would have started discussing punishment.

We've had some plagiarism profiles in the past. First one is tossed and the person is given a warning. We've not had repeat offenders, but it would probably be met with a ban.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
- Today at 8:38 PM
imagine this happening in life
and you pissed off a cop and he made you live with some incontinent sodafreak

05:57 NotAFlyingToyYou would not kill a policeman
05:57 NotAFlyingToyYou would not steal his helmet
05:57 NotAFlyingToyYou would not defecate in his helmet and mail it to his grieving family.
05:57 NotAFlyingToyYou would not steal it again

17:06 Ruggawork An orison is a prayer
17:07 trash i don't know why i thought it was a bird
17:07 trash who looks at random ass words and thinks "huh what does that mean? whatever it's probably a bird"

14:11 Kalopsia I HEARD FURRIES AND I CAME AS FAST AS I COULD.
14:11 Imehal Lovely.
14:11 Imehal Read that again.

20:16Outfoxd I SAID I'M TAKIN IT BACK FROM THE SALTINE ESTABLISHMENT
20:16Meeemz Half the drag queens on Drag Race would beg to differ.
20:16Outfoxd EVERYONE KNOWS ALL DANCE CAME FROM AFRICA
20:17Outfoxd YOU CRACKAS NEED TO PUT SOME CHEESE ON YOSELF AND GO SIT ON A SNACK TRAY SOMEWHERE

21:07craft i
21:07craft am a fan of blowjbs.
21:07craft nods sagely
21:07Rugga ?
21:07Rugga Does that mean you get a lot of them or give a lot?
21:07craft yes
21:07craft wait
21:07Rugga ....

22:31Mimi THATS WHAT I THPGUTH
22:31Mimi THOUGHTU
22:31mudkip MIMI'S TURN
22:31Ruggahissy Thougt
22:31Ruggahissy THOUGHT
22:31Mimi HOUGHT
22:31Ruggahissy We got it
22:31Mimi THOUGHT
22:31Ruggahissy WE GOT IT
22:31Mimi we did good
22:32Mimi we're a good team

22:46 Meeemz I love dicks, though
22:46 Meeemz er
22:46 Rugga Sig quote
22:46 NaftUm
22:46 Meeemz dicky characters
22:46 Meeemz GOD NO

19:45 BikrikiI am pretty sure we can built a bridge to jerking off

00:11 Mimi DOESN'T FOAM BREAK EASILY
00:11 Ruggahissy Not if you wrap it in duct tape
00:11 MurderWeasel There's a fiberglass core.
00:12 MurderWeasel And the foam is some special sort you buy directly from another dimension using souls as currency or something.
00:12 Ruggahissy.........

14:42 Bikriki JA! Stick it in ze boot!
14:43 Rugga I LOVE THIS KID
14:43 Bikriki adds that to list of sexual euphemisms
14:43 Skyler_Phone You have a list?
14:43 Bikriki <.<
14:43 Bikriki >.>
14:43 Bikriki No...

Victoria says:
Oh wait, I totally forgot to tell you last night because I was busy whoring
Mimi says:
STORY
OF
MY
LIFE

16:42 KamiKaze I've always wondered what using a fleshlight feels like.
16:42 KamiKaze Too bad I'm not special because God didn't give me a penis. ):

17:46 Dom LET JESUS INTO YOUR HEART, NOT YOUR VAGOO

Ruggahissy this dress makes me feel like I should be having tea with the mad hatter. Not getting felt up by drunk Germans
Dom don't let them go down the rab-
Ruggahissy BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Dom SO WORTH IT

09:51 Vicky We did a good job, didn't we, Meemz?
09:51 Mimi not really, no

03:19 GeneralGoose*BUT HE'S GONNA THINK IT'S A SPOON. OR MY PENIS. WHICH IT ISN'T*

23:15 Cluevara ICE CREAM MAKES YOU FAT YOU LARDY LARD BUTT.

[+] Spoiler
Jonah Heartsgrave: If you need to talk I'll listen.
Lori Martin: You're so stuck up.
Tirzah Foss: Let's have some fun.
[+] Spoiler

v6
Caleb Diamond: Silly sacrificer
Hazel Jung: Abandoned actress
v5
Amaranta Montalvo: Pageant Winner
Michelle Wexler: Vegetarian sweetheart
Paris Ardennes : Scheming holy man

v4
Ethan Kent : The smartest jerk
Sally Connelley: Dainty meanie
Nick LeMonde : Eternal optimist
Isabel Guerra: Sad little girl
Autumn O'Leary: Lonely redhead
Mary-Ann Warren: Crumbling romantic

MK Kilmarnock
Mr. Danya

October 29th, 2014, 4:26 pm #4

Psychedelic wrote:Q: As for a question since I'm here anyway suggesting on making a thread on asking about stuff, I was just wondering to myself if there's a board function where we could "bookmark" particular threads to our sotf board profiles here to easily click and get back to later. I didn't see one here, but I know some forums have that bookmark option. I figure it would be a particularly useful function on a board with a writing/story theme such as ours. I can't find one, so I doubt it exists, but I hope there is one, couldn't hurt to ask right.
As far as I know, the answer is no. You have to use the bookmarks on your browser.
[+] Spoiler
Jerry Fury - The man, the myth, the legend
Coleen Reagan - The girl who half-loved the world
[+] Spoiler
V5 Roster:
Cody Patton : That bitch.
Sean Mulcahy : The world was kind to reprieve him of his fear...
Jessica Sanders: She hoped it would be quick...
[+] Spoiler
20:17Sideliner:Toben and Ricky are like a sibling version of the Joker and Batman, only Batman is just as much of a mass murderer. He just hides it better.
19:58LaurelsHow does your dick smell like Fritos?
14:36 MimiI THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE FRIENDS > 14:36MimiI THOUGHT YOU REALLY LICKED HER

Badb
Mr. Danya

October 29th, 2014, 5:12 pm #5

MK Kilmarnock wrote:
Psychedelic wrote:Q: As for a question since I'm here anyway suggesting on making a thread on asking about stuff, I was just wondering to myself if there's a board function where we could "bookmark" particular threads to our sotf board profiles here to easily click and get back to later. I didn't see one here, but I know some forums have that bookmark option. I figure it would be a particularly useful function on a board with a writing/story theme such as ours. I can't find one, so I doubt it exists, but I hope there is one, couldn't hurt to ask right.
As far as I know, the answer is no. You have to use the bookmarks on your browser.
Not true! Scroll down to the bottom of the thread and you'll find a "Track Topic" option. Tracked topics will appear in your User Control Panel.
V5:
B035 - [color=EF98AA]Ray Gilbert[/color] - DECEASED - Guy Fawkes Mask - Too Far Gone
G029 - Zoe Leverett - DECEASED - Machete - To Really Be Alone, To Pick At All the Bones
[/spoiler]
wrote:[18:10] <Laurels> WWJD? Fuck corpses, apparently
wrote:[15:16] <Naft> My college once nearly burned down because someone tried to make a bong out of dollar bills and the fire alarm didn't work

MK Kilmarnock
Mr. Danya

October 29th, 2014, 5:16 pm #6

Oh, neat! You learn a new thing every day.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
V5 Roster:
[+] Spoiler
20:17Sideliner:Toben and Ricky are like a sibling version of the Joker and Batman, only Batman is just as much of a mass murderer. He just hides it better.
14:36 MimiI THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE FRIENDS > 14:36MimiI THOUGHT YOU REALLY LICKED HER

Badb
Mr. Danya

October 29th, 2014, 5:17 pm #7

I'll throw a quick tutorial together if anyone's interested. It makes following characters so much easier.
V5:
B035 - [color=EF98AA]Ray Gilbert[/color] - DECEASED - Guy Fawkes Mask - Too Far Gone
G029 - Zoe Leverett - DECEASED - Machete - To Really Be Alone, To Pick At All the Bones
[/spoiler]
wrote:[18:10] <Laurels> WWJD? Fuck corpses, apparently
wrote:[15:16] <Naft> My college once nearly burned down because someone tried to make a bong out of dollar bills and the fire alarm didn't work

Cake
Contender
Cake
Contender

October 29th, 2014, 5:38 pm #8

Ah, that's convenient, exactly what I was looking for since I use the user note pad on the same screen often too, thank you for that tip there. See, it never hurts to ask. :}

I can edit the OP a little to simplify the intent of use for the thread, since the questions and answers have already begun. A routine clean up of filler posts once in a while is all it takes if things start getting lost in the mix (suggestion again).

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

October 29th, 2014, 6:45 pm #9

Heya! This is a cool suggestion, and actually ties into a thing we had planned back in early V5. I'll see if I can drum up some interest in reviving that. That said, I'd like to ask everyone to take it a bit easy at the moment.

The big issue with staff replies is that they're rarely a one-person affair unless it's something where we already have a set of protocols completely written up. As such, any reply involves some fairly intensive drafting/discussion. I'm bumping back the old staff lounge thread to see what we can do there (turns out to be even older than I thought--December 2012. Whoops! ><), but there's a pretty good chance any such thread won't be much faster than PMing and won't involve off the cuff rulings simply because we like to make really sure anything incorporated into precedent is thought through completely.

NotAFlyingToy
Winner

October 29th, 2014, 8:51 pm #10

Frankly, I'm disappointed that the staff haven't come together to discuss my boxers vs briefs question. The community has a right to know.
A list of the dying, a list of the damned.
[+] Spoiler
We've yet to live and soon will fall.

B027: Oskar Pearce has his shields up -- Step back from it, Jane. (Adopted from SansaSaver!)
[+] Spoiler
We've fought and fought and lost it all.

G063: Natali Greer fell into sadness and couldn't get out -- Everything was going to be alright. (Adopted Posthumously from backslash!)
B067: Brandon Baxter died as he lived -- On his own terms.
B076: Hansel Williams wasn't wrong, in the end -- I wouldn't change anything. Not a goddamn thing.
[+] Spoiler
Here in the wings, we wait for the call.

Jaden Bertelli wants you to be better -- Work harder, no excuses.
Miley Sacramento isn't looking for the long-term -- Like, why are the democrats an elephant, anyway?
Robert Munnings hates your favourite teacher -- We hurt ourselves so that others can't.
Kelsey Hamilton is going to be the best in the world -- Out of my way, dead man.
Asher Glas really admires the way you carry yourself -- Oh, hey - let me get that for you.
"Skinny" Trevor Sharpe would sell the shirt off of your back -- Pick your poison.

Dr. Freud
Survivor
Dr. Freud
Survivor

October 29th, 2014, 9:13 pm #11

Well, not on staff, but I think that boxers are comfier than briefs, although frankly men's underwear in general is way comfier than women's. Probably more than you guys ever wanted to know.
"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud

MurderWeasel
MW's Private Rank

October 29th, 2014, 9:18 pm #12

JDelgado wrote:Well, not on staff, but I think that boxers are comfier than briefs, although frankly men's underwear in general is way comfier than women's. Probably more than you guys ever wanted to know.
Banned for speaking for staff/spilling confidential staff secrets. >:C

Ruggahissy
Mr. Danya

October 29th, 2014, 10:39 pm #13

I wear boxers to bed that I steal from guys. During the day I wear metal underpants to go with my suit of armor
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
- Today at 8:38 PM
imagine this happening in life
and you pissed off a cop and he made you live with some incontinent sodafreak

05:57 NotAFlyingToyYou would not kill a policeman
05:57 NotAFlyingToyYou would not steal his helmet
05:57 NotAFlyingToyYou would not defecate in his helmet and mail it to his grieving family.
05:57 NotAFlyingToyYou would not steal it again

17:06 Ruggawork An orison is a prayer
17:07 trash i don't know why i thought it was a bird
17:07 trash who looks at random ass words and thinks "huh what does that mean? whatever it's probably a bird"

14:11 Kalopsia I HEARD FURRIES AND I CAME AS FAST AS I COULD.
14:11 Imehal Lovely.
14:11 Imehal Read that again.

20:16Outfoxd I SAID I'M TAKIN IT BACK FROM THE SALTINE ESTABLISHMENT
20:16Meeemz Half the drag queens on Drag Race would beg to differ.
20:16Outfoxd EVERYONE KNOWS ALL DANCE CAME FROM AFRICA
20:17Outfoxd YOU CRACKAS NEED TO PUT SOME CHEESE ON YOSELF AND GO SIT ON A SNACK TRAY SOMEWHERE

21:07craft i
21:07craft am a fan of blowjbs.
21:07craft nods sagely
21:07Rugga ?
21:07Rugga Does that mean you get a lot of them or give a lot?
21:07craft yes
21:07craft wait
21:07Rugga ....

22:31Mimi THATS WHAT I THPGUTH
22:31Mimi THOUGHTU
22:31mudkip MIMI'S TURN
22:31Ruggahissy Thougt
22:31Ruggahissy THOUGHT
22:31Mimi HOUGHT
22:31Ruggahissy We got it
22:31Mimi THOUGHT
22:31Ruggahissy WE GOT IT
22:31Mimi we did good
22:32Mimi we're a good team

22:46 Meeemz I love dicks, though
22:46 Meeemz er
22:46 Rugga Sig quote
22:46 NaftUm
22:46 Meeemz dicky characters
22:46 Meeemz GOD NO

19:45 BikrikiI am pretty sure we can built a bridge to jerking off

00:11 Mimi DOESN'T FOAM BREAK EASILY
00:11 Ruggahissy Not if you wrap it in duct tape
00:11 MurderWeasel There's a fiberglass core.
00:12 MurderWeasel And the foam is some special sort you buy directly from another dimension using souls as currency or something.
00:12 Ruggahissy.........

14:42 Bikriki JA! Stick it in ze boot!
14:43 Rugga I LOVE THIS KID
14:43 Bikriki adds that to list of sexual euphemisms
14:43 Skyler_Phone You have a list?
14:43 Bikriki <.<
14:43 Bikriki >.>
14:43 Bikriki No...

Victoria says:
Oh wait, I totally forgot to tell you last night because I was busy whoring
Mimi says:
STORY
OF
MY
LIFE

16:42 KamiKaze I've always wondered what using a fleshlight feels like.
16:42 KamiKaze Too bad I'm not special because God didn't give me a penis. ):

17:46 Dom LET JESUS INTO YOUR HEART, NOT YOUR VAGOO

Ruggahissy this dress makes me feel like I should be having tea with the mad hatter. Not getting felt up by drunk Germans
Dom don't let them go down the rab-
Ruggahissy BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Dom SO WORTH IT

09:51 Vicky We did a good job, didn't we, Meemz?
09:51 Mimi not really, no

03:19 GeneralGoose*BUT HE'S GONNA THINK IT'S A SPOON. OR MY PENIS. WHICH IT ISN'T*

23:15 Cluevara ICE CREAM MAKES YOU FAT YOU LARDY LARD BUTT.

[+] Spoiler
Jonah Heartsgrave: If you need to talk I'll listen.
Lori Martin: You're so stuck up.
Tirzah Foss: Let's have some fun.
[+] Spoiler

v6
Caleb Diamond: Silly sacrificer
Hazel Jung: Abandoned actress
v5
Amaranta Montalvo: Pageant Winner
Michelle Wexler: Vegetarian sweetheart
Paris Ardennes : Scheming holy man

v4
Ethan Kent : The smartest jerk
Sally Connelley: Dainty meanie
Nick LeMonde : Eternal optimist
Isabel Guerra: Sad little girl
Autumn O'Leary: Lonely redhead
Mary-Ann Warren: Crumbling romantic

Cake
Contender
Cake
Contender

November 3rd, 2014, 1:32 pm #14

For private reasons, I'd like to request that everyone refers to me only by Cake or by username, from now on, please?

MK Kilmarnock
Mr. Danya

November 3rd, 2014, 10:36 pm #15

This probably isn't the right place for that. But sure.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
V5 Roster:
[+] Spoiler