Laurels
Mr. Danya

January 3rd, 2017, 6:33 am #11

June 3, 2015, early evening

"Bless us, o Lord, for these thy gifts, for which we are about to receive, from thy bounty, through Christ, our Lord. Amen."

"Amen," replied the others at the table.

Once Edie was finished saying grace, the others raised their heads and began to move to eat the food on their plates. Dinner was simple: a kitchen sink meat loaf, boiled red potatoes, some green beans, and a packaged gravy. Edie had scrounged everything she could after pushing aside all the casseroles and dishes friends and neighbors brought over. She wanted to put her hands to something after spending most of the afternoon crying. She didn't feel like gardening after the incident, despite how appealing pulling weeds sounded after what she saw, so cooking would have to do.

Instead, she took to squishing ground beef with her hands and cutting vegetables with a knife. With each squish and chop, she felt a sense of stability return to her mind. Here, she was creating, unlike people like those terrorists who merely destroyed. If it meant the people at the table could enjoy her food and feel some distraction, then she was glad for it.

Unfortunately, it didn't look like there was much of that at the table. Everyone was eating quietly, and from what she could see, some of them were hardly eating at all. Arnold, who normally loved her meat loaf and could eat a whole loaf if given the chance, seemed more interested in scraping the gravy on the ceramic plate. Ella had pierced a potato and merely pushed it around, soaking it in some melted butter and gravy. Christian and Angie looked like they were eating, even though they kept glancing at one another. As for Kelly...well, Edie just hoped she was eating. She was still in her room, the tray with dinner placed outside her door. If it wasn't for Kelly speaking from beyond the door, Edie was sure she'd have to get Arnold and Christian to break it down.

Angie let out a sigh.

"Edie, thank you. This is so delicious," she said.

"Oh," Edie said, surprised by the sudden speech. "Thank you."

"Is there a secret?" Angie asked.

Edie let out a short chuckle. "Oh, not really. I had a recipe from my mother, but I like to add and subtract when I make it. A little more garlic, a little less Worcestershire, that sort of thing."

"Well, it's definitely one of the best meat loaves I've ever had. Right, Christian?"

"Hm?" Christian said, looking up from his plate. "Oh, yeah. It's great. Thanks."

The room fell silent again. The five at the table continued to eat, occasionally passing glances at one another. Arnold let out a cough in order to break the silence, but no one responded. After a few minutes, Christian decided to speak.

"So, listen," he said, facing Arnold and Edie, "Ang and I were talking. It's really nice that you've let us stay here so far, but we might consider staying at a nearby hotel from now on."

"Really?" Edie asked. "Is there something wrong?"

"No, not at all," Angie said.

"It's just that, you know, we're guests here. And the more we laze around here, it feels like we're intruding," Christian said.

"It's certainly not like that," Edie said. "Besides, we offered to let you stay."

"Yes, and we appreciate that," Christian said. He glanced over at Angie and Ella before turning back to Edie.

"I just think it'd help if we took some space from one another," Christian said. "At least for a day or so. We'll stay in town; I've already found a good hotel for us. We can be available if you need us for anything."

"Edie, you've been really kind," Angie said, "but you and Arnold probably could use the break as well. You're already doing a lot to look after Kelly, and you don't have to go out of your way to help us."

"But I want to," Edie said. "Please, it's no trouble."

"Maybe," Christian said, "but I doubt we can be as much help to you or Kelly while we're here. Right now, I just don't see how I can help Kelly right now."

Ella let out a scoff. Angie looked over at her, but Ella quickly covered her mouth with her fist and coughed a little. She then reached for her glass and took a sip. She gave a small glare to her father as he continued to speak.

"So, that's just our thought. We do appreciate everything you've done so far, but some space is probably all we need right now."

"But-"

"Just let them go, Edie," Arnold said.

"What?"

Arnold took a sip of water.

"If they want to go, then fine. Christian is right. We could use the space."

"Arnold, I don't know if that's what we need."

"It's fine. Ella shouldn't have to be here when all this craziness is going on, and Angie could probably use the time to do things around Kingman."

"Arnold-"

"Besides, we should know Christian's all about running away, so let him."

Angie's eyes widened as she chewed on a green bean. Christian furrowed his brow.

"Excuse you, but Kelly left me," Christian said, "so don't get things confused."

"Excuse you," Arnold emphasized, "but I think there were about six to eight years where you were places unknown."

"Hey, let's not do this here," Edie said.

"Yeah, let's just keep things calm," Angie said. "We're all eating, and Ella is here."

"That's fine," Christian said, stabbing his meat loaf with his fork. "I'll calmly start gathering our things so we can spend a night away from Arnold and his foul tobacco smell."

"You didn't mind yesterday," Arnold scoffed.

"Well I mind now," Christian said.

"Wait, what happened yesterday?" Angie asked.

"It doesn't matter," Christian said, "but we do have a child here, and second hand smoke kills."

"Oh please, if that were true, Noah would be dying in a hospital from cancer instead of on some godforsaken island!"

"Arnold!" Edie shouted.

The room fell silent. Arnold's face turned flush when he realized what he said.

"I..." Arnold said.

"Forget it," Christian said. "Let's just eat. We'll pack and be out once we're done here."

Arnold slowly nodded and kept eating. The others started eating as well. The only one who wasn't eating was Ella. She sat in place, looking at the four adults. She finally spoke.

"I don't want to go."

Angie and Christian looked at her.

"Honey?" Christian asked.

"I don't want to go," she said. "I want to stay here."

"Ella, what do you mean?"

"I mean: 'I want to stay here.' It's that simple," Ella said, biting into a potato.

"El, you're not staying here without us," Christian said.

"Why not?" she asked. "I'm nine, Dad. Mr. and Mrs. MacIntyre can look after me. It's not that big a deal."

"Ella, why do you want to stay here?" Angie asked. "Is something wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," Ella insisted. "I'd much rather stay here than go to some stupid hotel."

"Angie, it's no big deal," Edie said. "We'd love to have her here."

"I know you would," Angie said, "but I just-"

"I'm finished," Ella interrupted, pushing her plate forward on the table.

"Ella-" Christian began.

"I'll be upstairs," she said, pushing her chair back and stepping out.

Ella began to walk out of the dining room and towards the stairs. Christian stood up to go after her, but Ella quickly turned around.

"Oh, by the way, Mom," Ella said.

Ella fished into her pocket and pulled out Angie's cell phone. Angie's eyes widened in shock, while Arnold, Edie, and Christian merely looked on in confusion.

"I borrowed your phone earlier. I meant to tell you," Ella said curtly.

Ella set the phone on the floor and walked up the stairs. Angie got up and walked over to the phone, picking it up off the floor.

"Ang?" Christian asked.

Angie looked over the phone, quickly entering the code. The phone showed her main screen. She double clicked the home button to see what apps were open. To her relief, nothing was still open. She sighed.

"Oh, sorry," she said, turning back. "I was just worried where this went."

Angie pocketed the phone and sat back down.

"You know, maybe Ella needs the space too," Angie said to her husband. "It couldn't hurt for her to get away from us."

"Angie-"

"Let's just eat," Angie said, picking up her utensils again. "We can check with her once we're done."

Angie continued to eat her plate of food. After a few seconds, Christian did as well, with Arnold and Edie joining in. The four continued to eat in silence.

Upstairs, Ella reached the top of the stairs and began to walk down the hall. As she walked past Kelly's room, she saw the dinner tray was still there. Kelly was probably watching Noah's stream, watching him suffer and die on that island. Ella wanted to feel sorry for Kelly since she was Noah's mom, but all Ella could think about was Kelly kissing her dad last night. All the adults were bothering her right now, and if Arnold was even willing to make a crass remark about Noah dying, she wanted to retreat from them while she could.

She looked at Kelly's dish and spat at it, watching her saliva hit the meat loaf and potatoes. It wouldn't be noticed by Kelly when she finally brought the tray in, and maybe it was rude, but she didn't care. She was going to go to the one place she knew she'd not have to deal with them.

With that, she stepped into Noah's room, making sure to prop the chair under the door knob. Now she felt at home.
[+] spoiler
Nadia Riva
"You don't think I'm pretty enough to be a model? And you're telling me while wearing that face?"

Noah Whitley
"You look like you could use a laugh, and I have just the joke for that."

Alba Reyes
"Woo hoo! Three holes in one! That's a new record!"
[+] spoiler
Girl #007-Rachael Langdon
"I really am going to die, aren't I? Oh god, what am I going to do?"

Armed with a Solar Powered Scientific Calculator
Stabbed with a sword by Marcus Leung.
Girl #018-Claire Monaghan
"You know, I always thought I'd be seen by millions. Fuck Murphy's Law."

Armed with a Shotgun Flashlight (1 Bullet) and a bulletproof vest

Girl #035-Sophie McDowell
"People often find inspiration in the darkest times. I guess I can too."
Killed by a grenade thrown by Summer Simms

Armed with a lead pipe.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

19:10 Laurelena: When octopi eat hamsters, the resulting laughter is a mix of colorful idiocy and dainty ice skating

18:10 Mimi: "how many nipples does Miss Piggy REALLY have?"

16:57 Mimi play Fergaliscious
16:58 Mimi IF YOU EVER WANT FANS
16:58 Mimi YOU NEED FERALISCIOUS
16:58 Mimi FERGALISCIOUS
16:58 Mimi Omg
16:58 Mimi feral-liscious
16:58 Mimi that's
16:58 Mimi blowing my mind

16:57 KamiKaze Laurie, if you ever become a mod, let it be known that one day you will critique someone's profile who had a girl killing her family friend because he raped her, and the person will insult you by calling you a talking Oshawott doll.

21:42Acidic i AM ANAL WART MAN

00:19Delroy.... I HAVE AN IMAGE OF HANSEL FUCKING TRAVIS WITH A CHAINSAW STUCK IN MY HEAD. HOW IS THIS IN ANY WAY GOOD!?

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon
[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon and Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Laurels
Mr. Danya

January 18th, 2017, 10:45 pm #12

June 3, 2015, late evening

"I really think we should try to get her out," Angie said.

"Look, this situation has got to be hard and confusing for her," Christian said to his wife. "If Ella wants to stay in Noah's room, then let her."

"Chris, I don't like that she's locked in there though."

"It's fine. She'll have to come out eventually. Let's just go to bed."

Christian put his arm around Angie and walked her to the guest room. After Ella's display at dinner, they had given up the idea of going to a hotel for the night. They had tried to get Ella out of Noah's room, but to no avail. She had blocked the door and wouldn't respond to any commands or bribes. Edie also tried to help, but that didn't make much of a difference either. Ella was not coming out of the room, and that was final.

Angie and Christian got into their bed and turned off the lights. Angie stared straight up at the ceiling, while Christian closed his eyes and tried to sleep.

"Are we being terrible to Ella?" Angie asked.

"What?" Christian asked, keeping his eyes closed.

"I mean, I know we took her to that movie yesterday, but are we not respecting her enough right now?"

"Ang, it's a tough time for everyone. She's nine and she's never even had to go through something like this before. I mean, your parents are still alive, so it's not like she's really faced death before."

"We still don't even know if it's death or not," Angie said. "It's a fucked up scenario, and we don't really have a reference for what to do. It's not like Kimberly Nguyen wrote a piece about what parents should do for their other children during SOTF."

"Yes, and we will figure that out on our own," Christian said. "Look, tomorrow, we'll try to talk to Ella, and maybe see what we can do for her. We shouldn't spoil her, but we should at least try to understand her and help her understand what we're all going through right now. Communication is key for this time, and we shouldn't be hiding our thoughts and feelings from each other."

Christian and Angie were both glad that neither one was looking at each other. For Angie, Christian keeping his eyes closed meant he didn't see her eyes widen, nor did he see her bite her lip. For Christian, he could keep his face the same, even though he realized how hypocritical that last statement actually was.

Angie rolled on her side, placing an arm across Christian's chest.

"You're right. Maybe we can make her something special. Or maybe the three of us can get out of the house and go somewhere."

"Good idea," Christian said, turning his head over to look at his wife. "Let's talk more in the morning."

Christian moved forward and gave Angie a quick peck on the lips. She smiled, and they both settled into their sleeping positions. As they tried to fall asleep, both Christian and Angie tried to think about what they could do for Ella. Angie thought about the lemon blueberry pancakes Ella loved to have for breakfast on her birthday, and Christian thought about the trails she liked to go hiking in. Of course, these thoughts were interrupted by the link saved on Angie's phone and the sensation of Kelly's lips on Christian's. After a while, they stopped cuddling and fell asleep.

"She's still in there?" Arnold said, taking his reading glasses off.

"Yes. The poor thing won't come out," Edie said, climbing into bed.

Arnold grabbed a bookmark and placed it inside the Tom Clancy novel in his hands. He set the book and his glasses on the nightstand.

"I can't believe it," Arnold said.

"Arnold, the girl is upset. We all are."

"But locking herself up isn't right."

"Well, she's following a precedent in this house, now isn't she?"

Arnold fell silent as Edie settled into bed.

"Edie-"

"Arnold, we can't let either of them stay locked up. Ella's a child and she'll be able to move on much more easily than any of us. But Kelly's got me concerned."

Edie sighed and looked at her husband.

"Noah nearly died today, and if Kelly's freak-out was any indication, his actual death might be worse. We may need to closely monitor her now."

"What's your idea?" Arnold asked.

Edie shrugged.

"I don't have one yet," she said. "But look, I think we need to get Kelly away from watching the stream. At least for a day or two."

"Are you suggesting someone else watch it?" he asked.

"Maybe," Edie said. "Kelly may have taken this burden on entirely for herself, but it's becoming clear it's not a good idea. Maybe we start doing it in shifts."

"Like we draw straws or something?" Arnold asked. "Edie, this is absurd."

"I know, but I want something other than what's happening. Maybe we should just lock up all electronics in the coat closet and wait for a call. I don't know. I know we're trying to protect our memories of Noah, but it's clear to me that none of us are going to be okay. Believe me, I'm starting to think that next time I go into Kelly's room, I should take that laptop and smash it. But it's Angie's computer so I'm not going to do that."

Arnold raised his eyebrows. He had never heard his wife get so annoyed. Sure, they had fights-any couple together for over forty years would have a few- but she never threw her arms in the air and got flippant.

"We'll figure something out," Arnold said. "Just go to sleep. It's been a hard day for everyone."

"Fine," Edie said, laying under the sheets and turning on her side away from Arnold. Arnold tried to put an arm around her, but she seemed to recoil from it. Arnold rolled on his side away from Edie. Even when she lost her parents and her brothers, Edie had remained calm through it all. Noah wasn't even officially dead yet, but already cracks were forming. Arnold had to wonder if this was something hereditary passed through Edie's family. He wasn't going to think of it. He didn't want to think of it.

Kelly sighed and closed the laptop. Noah had trapped himself in a room in the cabin and was climbing into bed. He had made it through the third day, and that was enough for her right now. It was frightening to see her son nearly get gunned down, but at least he was relatively safe. She was surprised by the joke he told on the beach, but also not really. When she and Christian were first going out, Christian had asked Kelly to tell him the dirtiest joke she could think of. She thought a bit, but couldn't think of one. Christian told her about leprechauns in truck stop bathrooms, and that had radically altered the evening, one where Kelly couldn't stop thinking of the leprechaun. It was still a nice date though.

Kelly placed the laptop to the side and laid down in bed. She stared up at the ceiling and tapped her fingers on her blanket. Noah had survived, yet again. He wasn't anywhere closer to safety, but he had at least made it through the day. Kelly wanted to be happy, but she couldn't find herself happy. Nothing was making her happy. Not the meatloaf her mom made for dinner, not the knowledge that Noah was in a place where he could at least sleep, nor even knowing that there were family in the house.

Kelly rolled around in her bed. She had spent the last three days in bed, but it was starting to get uncomfortable. Her back was sore, her legs felt like they were going to snap off, and her eyes were starting to feel strained. She finally lay face down on the pillow and let out a groan. What was she going to do now?

She could keep watching, but that ran the risk of seeing more horror and atrocities. That also ran the risk of being a pain to everyone. Kelly still had some self awareness. She knew how she was acting. She had never been such a brat as a child. Even when she was sick, she tried to not be too much of a burden to her parents. The longer she stayed around, and the longer she was going to bother everyone. She had to do something for them all.

Kelly got up and turned the laptop back on. She began to open the computer, but she resisted playing the stream. She began to look up hotels and resorts outside of Kingman. She didn't want to go too far in case of an emergency, but she wanted to get away at least.

"Just for a little while" she told herself. "Not too expensive, and not too far."

She continued to look around at the options available to her. By morning, she had a plan.

Ella sat in Noah's computer chair and stared at the screen on Noah's computer. She had pulled up the video the older women posted a few days ago. It had broken 1 million views and had been shared. Some other drag queen had a response video to it. Ella looked over the comments. Most of them were supportive. Some were from people who had been affected by SOTF in the past. Some were from people who had no connection but wanted to share their sympathies.

Then there were those people. Apparently, her mom hadn't done as good a job cleaning up comments like she said she would. There were some inflammatory comments from some people who wanted to mock the situation or mock Noah. Some made fun of his sexuality or criticized his web show. Every negative comment was followed by dozens of positive comments and comments that called out the terrible people for their rude behavior. That made it somewhat better, but not entirely.

Ella then went into Noah's channel. The videos on his channel had also gotten a significant increase in views. Her brother had finally gotten the attention he always wanted in life, and he was probably unable to celebrate it. Ella shook her head.

She wanted to be glad her brother's videos were being well received. But she couldn't. People didn't really know Noah. Her mom and the others tried to make Noah sound like a real person, but that didn't work. Noah presented a fake version of himself on his show, and not just the version with the wig and unidentifiable accent. That's why Ella decided to do something.

Noah was still logged into his YouTube account. He had some guides for his video editing software programs around the desk. She had all night and nothing to do tomorrow. In about an hour or so, Ella had the recording program open and ready to go. Ella pressed play, and then spoke.

"Hi. My name is Ella Whitley, and I want to talk about my brother."
[+] spoiler
Nadia Riva
"You don't think I'm pretty enough to be a model? And you're telling me while wearing that face?"

Noah Whitley

Alba Reyes
[+] spoiler

Armed with a lead pipe.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

19:10 Laurelena: When octopi eat hamsters, the resulting laughter is a mix of colorful idiocy and dainty ice skating

16:57 KamiKaze Laurie, if you ever become a mod, let it be known that one day you will critique someone's profile who had a girl killing her family friend because he raped her, and the person will insult you by calling you a talking Oshawott doll.

00:19Delroy.... I HAVE AN IMAGE OF HANSEL FUCKING TRAVIS WITH A CHAINSAW STUCK IN MY HEAD. HOW IS THIS IN ANY WAY GOOD!?

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Laurels
Mr. Danya

February 4th, 2017, 4:30 am #13

June 4, 2015, late afternoon

"Hey, Edie," Christian said, looking into the fridge. "I think you're running low on milk. I was going to run out, would you like me to get some?"

"Oh, you shouldn't have to get that," Edie said.

"No, it's no problem. It looks like we could use more butter too and maybe some-"

"What the hell is this?!?"

Christian and Edie froze. They had been in the kitchen minding their own business, with Edie at the table reading a magazine and Christian looking in the fridge for a drink. It had been a quiet day in the house, but that cry from the other room had been the moment the levee broke. Angie stormed into the kitchen, her phone clutched in her hand. Christian closed the fridge and approached her.

"Ang? What's the matter?"

"Look at this!" she shouted. "We left Ella alone in Noah's room, and this is what she did while she was in there."

Christian took the phone from Angie's hand. Edie got up from the table and walked over to Christian's other side, peering over his shoulder to see the phone. There was a video on the screen, and Christan pressed the screen to start the video.

The image was of Ella sitting in Noah's chair. From how dark the room was, it had to be late last night. There was only a single lamp illuminating the room, showing Ella's round face and big, brown eyes in the darkness.

Hi. My name is Ella Whitley, and I want to talk about my brother.

"How did she even-" Edie began to ask before being silenced by Angie.

So, I know a bunch of people probably only know him for the videos he makes and for how my mom and his family talked about him in that other video. But none of you really know him. I see a bunch of people writing terrible things about him in the comments, and I just want to know who you are to say any of that. Like...let me see...

Ella had moved forward and grabbed the mouse on the desk. After a few clicks, she began to speak.

Okay, here's one. NicoleLuvsPizza42 said 'If anything good can come from this incident, it's that fags like this guy can be wiped out. I bet if you shot him, he'd bleed glitter.' Well, NicoleLuvsPizza42, I bet if someone shot you, no one would even care because you're such a heartless piece of crap.

Then there's this guy. Kaaarkat Kiiiiiler- 'real' great name there- said 'Noah Whitley is such a pussy. Nancy should have killed his ass so we wouldn't have to deal with him.' Well, your mother shouldn't have dropped you on your head as an infant, but here you are.

You all think you can watch these videos and act like you know my brother and can pass judgement on him based off makeup tutorials and stupid accents. And yet, you don't know what he's really like.

Let me tell you some things about Noah. He doesn't like mayonnaise because he says the texture reminds him of melted Play-doh. He once ran into a glass door because he was chasing me and slipped on the floor. He keeps a lot of bottles of lotion in his night stand. His favorite color is blue, his favorite movie is Blazing Saddles, his favorite dessert is chocolate peanut butter pie, and his favorite time period is the 1960s. He wants to open a bar someday if he can't be a comedian, and he said he'd probably call it "The Ark," which he also said is a working title.

"Wait, what's wrong with this?" Christian asked Angie.

"Just wait."

In fact, none of you know anyone in our house. You all saw that video where my mom, Noah's mom, and Noah's grandma cried and pleaded everyone to not watch the video. Well guess what? It's all a lie. Noah's mom has been locked in a room for three days watching the footage. Noah's grandma saw the part where he was nearly shot. Even my mom has secretly been watching the video. They don't want anyone to watch my brother or any of those other kids die, and yet they're happy to watch it themselves and act like it's their right to.

Heck, even my dad and Noah's grandpa aren't better. They're liars too. They've been lying to their wives since the video appeared. It's all a mess here, and they want to act like everything's okay or that they can keep things going the way they are. But it's not going to be normal. It's never going to be normal. I don't know if I can ever trust my mom and dad again. I don't know what's going to happen to Noah's grandparents or his mom. I don't even think Noah is going to come home.

So yeah, keep calling Noah a 'fag' or a 'pussy.' Keep acting like you're clever for dumping on his channel or his character. Keep acting like it's amusing to watch the stream or you're so much better than everyone else because you're not watching the video. But it's awful here. Everyone in this house is going mad. All anyone can do here is argue or lie to one another or cheat or lie. So yeah, I hope you're enjoying this all, because our lives are awful, and if you want to make things worse, then you're no better than those terrorists.

Goodnight.

Ella reached forward, and the video stopped. The video held on an image of her face, turning red from her rant, a few tears falling down her cheeks.

In the kitchen, the trio remained silent. Edie had a hand over her mouth. Angie was turning red, while Christian turned slightly pale.

"What did she mean you were watching it?" Christian asked Angie.

"That's not important!" Angie said. "I found out about this when a bunch of messages starting appearing on Noah's Twitter. She posted this late last night and it picked up some traction."

"Oh my," Edie muttered.

Christian handed the phone back to Angie. "Can't we take it down?"

"I want to, but the video's already been copied," Angie said. "I can't believe this shit."

"Angie, calm down," Christian said, putting his hands on her shoulders. "Let's talk to Ella and maybe-"

"Oh, I'm talking to her alright!" Angie said, breaking free of Christian's grip.

She turned and stomped out of the kitchen. Christian and Edie were close behind.

"Angie! Please wait," Christian said as they reached the stairs.

"Angie, let's think for a second," Edie said.

"No. I need to talk to Ella," Angie said as she marched up the stairs.

She soon reached the top and made her way to Noah's door. She grabbed the doorknob and began to shake it. When it didn't budge, Angie banged on the door.

"Ella!" she shouted. "Open this door now!"

"Go away!" Ella shouted from inside the room.

Angie banged on the door again. "Open this door!"

"Ang, she's not going to if you're that loud and furious," Christian said.

"He's right," Edie said. "Please, let's calm down for a moment."

Angie continued to try and force the door to budge. As she did, Arnold emerged from his bedroom. He had gone in there to take a nap a little while ago.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"Oh, Arnold, I'm sorry, did we wake you?" Edie said.

"No, I was just getting up. What's going on?"

Angie banged on the door again. Christian moved over to her to grab her.

"Oh, Ella posted a video to Noah's channel condemning negative posters and all of us," Edie explained.

"Us?"

"Yes. She called us out for watching the stream and for lying," Edie said. "She even said you were a liar for some reason."

Arnold didn't respond. His attention was drawn back to Christian pulling Angie away.

"Angie, that's not going to work," Christian said. "Let me try."

Christian walked up to the door and knocked.

"Ella. It's Daddy," Christian said. "Look, I just want to talk about the video. Can I come in?"

"No!"

Christian sighed.

"Ella, we understand your upset about Noah's abduction, but the internet is not the place you put your frustrations. You find better ways to deal with it."

"Like how you dealt with it by making out with Noah's mom?" Ella shouted.

Christian froze. Angie's eyes widened and her mouth fell open.

"What?!?" she shouted at Christian.

Christian slowly turned to Angie. She was getting redder and redder. He had no idea what he could say about this.

"I...I can explain..."

Angie raised her hand and slapped Christian. Edie and Arnold both gasped, with Arnold quickly moving to restrain Angie.

"Angie!" Arnold shouted. "Cool it!"

"You fucker!" Angie shouted. "You made out with Kelly?"

"It was just one time," Christian said.

"And that makes it okay?!? I can't believe you! I thought you were better than to do something so shady."

"Oh?" Christian asked, raising an eyebrow. "And just how did Ella find out you were watching the streams?"

"Everyone please calm down!" Edie said, getting between Angie and Christian.

"How much have you seen, Angela?" Christian asked. "Was it also just 'one time' or was it more?"

"Fuck you!" Angie shouted, struggling in Arnold's grasp. "I can't believe you'd do this again."

"Okay, this is over now," Arnold said. "Angie, settle down or I'm taking you into my room."

"No! Let me go!"

As they continued to bicker, no one in the hall noticed the door slowly creeping open. They didn't hear the sound of the woman quietly moving out of the room, a large bag on her shoulder. They didn't hear the sound of her slowly moving down the stairs. One of them, however, heard the sound of the front door slam.

"Wait, what was that?" Edie said, turning towards the stairs.

Edie then noticed Kelly's door was ajar. She walked over to the room.

"Kelly?" she said, peering in.

The room was empty. The laptop was still sitting on Kelly's bed. The stream was frozen of an image of Noah approaching a helipad. Edie moved out of the room.

"Kelly?!?" she shouted.

The others had fallen silent. Just then, Edie heard the sound of a car starting.

"Kelly!" she shouted.

Edie hurried down the stairs and towards the front door. She threw the door open just in time to see Kelly's Acura pulling out of the driveway. The car pulled into the street, the sped away. Edie ran into the front yard and watched as the car disappeared down the street.

"Kelly, wait!" she shouted.

But Kelly didn't return. Edie remained there in place, watching as the car got farther and farther away. Arnold, Christian, and Angie emerged from the house as well. Arnold walked over to his wife, putting a hand on her shoulder.

"Where is she going?" Edie asked her husband. "Where could she be going? Oh god, please don't tell me-"

"We'll find her," Arnold said. "We'll figure out where she's going."

Edie raised her hand to her mouth and started to cry. Arnold pulled his wife closer to him and let her cry into his chest. Angie and Christian silently watched the older couple, then went back inside. They didn't talk to one another at all. There was no way they could right now.
[+] spoiler
Nadia Riva

Noah Whitley

Alba Reyes
[+] spoiler

Armed with a lead pipe.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Laurels
Mr. Danya

February 26th, 2017, 3:15 am #14

June 4, 2015 late evening

"Okay, they found her car," Arnold said, hanging up the phone.

"They did?" Edie asked. "Where?"

"It's in the lot near the Ross on Stockton," Arnold said. "They said they'll check to see if Kelly went into the store or if she went somewhere else. They should let us know more soon."

"Oh god, I hope she's okay."

"Hey, hey, hey," Arnold said, puling Edie close to his chest. "It's going to be fine. I'm sure she needed to get out for a bit."

"But what if she doesn't come back? I mean, what if she-"

"Edie, she wouldn't have taken so much clothing with her if she was going to do that," Arnold explained.

Edie pulled herself into Arnold's chest more. It had been a few hours since the blow up. Ella still wouldn't come out of Noah's room, but no one had tried to force her out. Edie left her a sandwich and some chips for dinner, which Ella did pull in at some point. With Kelly's sudden disappearance, no one found it important to force Ella out. At the very least, they knew where she was.

Christian and Angie, meanwhile, weren't doing as well. After Kelly left, Angie went inside and threw all of Christian's items into a suitcase. She told him to spend the night at a hotel like they planned yesterday. Christian tried to fight with Angie, but Angie's cold response made it clear she wouldn't argue with him on it. Christian merely got into his car and drove away, promising he'd be back the next morning. After he left, Angie told Edie she'd be going to be early, and locked herself in the guest room.

This left Edie and Arnold to eat dinner quietly. Arnold had called the police about Kelly running off, but their cooperation had been minimal. It was too early to file a missing person's report, but they could try to locate her car. If Kelly had used a credit card, they could probably trace her as well. As it was, there wasn't much to report other than that she had abandoned her car.

"Look, let's go get her car before it gets impounded," Arnold said.

"Should we really leave?" Edie said. "Angie and Ella-"

"Angie and Ella are asleep," Arnold said. "Well, the ought to be. I don't think they're coming out. If they do, it'll be a miracle. Look, Kelly left a spare key downstairs. We'll drive over to Ross, and you can drive her car back to the house."

"Okay," Edie said. "I guess it's better sooner than later. Let's go."

Arnold and Edie walked out to Arnold's truck and drove away from the house. They drove through the neighborhood, which was slowly giving itself to the darkness of the summer night. Edie yawned a bit as they drove past the dark houses and the flickering streetlights. Edie put a hand under her chin and leaned against the door.

"Do you think Christian cheated on Angie?" she asked Arnold.

"Of course he did," Arnold said. "He practically admitted to kissing Kelly."

"Not that," she said. "I mean before. Angie said something like 'I can't believe you'd do this again'."

"I wouldn't be surprised," Arnold said. "That son of a bitch has a ton of vices. He probably cheated on Kelly when they were together."

"Kelly never said he cheated on her."

"Maybe she never found out. You know he bummed a cigarette from me the other day even though he said he quit."

"And yet you gave him one?"

Arnold paused. Edie slowly looked to her husband.

"Well...I..."

"Arnold, I'm not mad," Edie said. "I just think it's clear we're all hiding things from one another, and even something like giving smokes to a former smoker can be dangerous down the line."

"I don't know how that could be bad," Arnold said.

"What if he picks up the habit again? What if that leads to drinking again? Second hand smoke around a child could be dangerous, and Ella's still growing-"

"I smoked around Noah and he was fine."

"But there could be effects later down the line for him."

"I doubt lung cancer is one of his concerns right now."

Edie fell silent. Arnold continued to stare forward as they turned onto a busier road. Even though it was after 9 pm on a Thursday, the road was still busy.

"Arnold, Ella knows something about you," Edie said. "She said you've been lying to me."

"Edie-"

"Arnold, please," Edie said, her voice starting to waver. "Christian cheated on Angie with Kelly, Angie was secretly watching the streams, and yeah, we were hypocrites for watching the footage after telling people not to. But what have you done since this has started? What does Ella know?"

Arnold quickly glanced at his wife, then back onto the road. He and Edie had been together a long time. There had been secrets between them in the past. There had been times where they've been worried about the other person not talking to them. Arnold had to come clean about possibly losing his job about twenty-two years earlier. Edie had to admit there was a chance she would have breast cancer when Kelly was sixteen. Although Arnold didn't lose his job and the cancer screening was negative, they were still times when they were terrified of telling the truth to one another and it almost had disastrous consequences.

Arnold sighed.

"So, the other day, when Noah was shot."

"Yes?"

Arnold stopped talking, then started tapping his fingers on the steering wheel.

"Ella and I were talking in Noah's room. I was talking to her about his show and his other ventures."

"What about them?" Edie asked.

"Just...about them," Arnold said.

"What specifically?"

Arnold pursed his lips a bit.

"I admitted that I've never watched his show."

Edie raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"I've never watched his stupid show," Arnold said. "I don't get it, I don't see the appeal, and it doesn't interest me."

"How could it not interest you?" Edie asked. "Your grandson puts so much effort into that show and all his projects, and you can't even support him."

"I can support him," Arnold said. "I support him when he runs jokes by me. I support him when he performs locally. I just don't see the need to support that."

"Does Noah know about this?"

"I don't know. He's never asked."

"Okay, that can't be all to this," Edie said.

"Excuse me?"

"Ella's mad because you've never watched Noah's YouTube show? She's putting that on the same level as hypocrisy and infidelity? What else does she know?"

"Edie-"

"Tell me, Arnold!"

"Okay, fine!" Arnold said.

Arnold clutched the steering wheel tighter.

"I told her I didn't want Noah to do that sort of thing. That I wish he did something else here. That he wasn't like the person he portrays on that show-"

"-that he was different?" Edie asked.

"Edie-"

"You don't like that he does the things on that series," Edie said. "You don't like that he would dress like a lady and dance around for laughs."

"I mean, Kingman's not a good place for him to do that sort of thing-"

"When was the last time there was a gay bashing in this town?" Edie asked.

"I don't know," Arnold said, "but it takes one messed up person to target him, and that person could be on that damned island right now."

"So, what? If he was living in Las Vegas with his dad it'd be fine? Is that what you're saying?"

"No, it's not always about that. I just wish he wasn't acting like that Pina person."

"Arnold, this isn't about Ella or Pina Bucket or Kingman, is it?" Edie asked. "What do you wish was different about Noah?"

"I wish he wasn't gay!"

Edie's mouth fell open. Arnold slowed the car down once he got to an intersection.

"Okay, we're here," Arnold said, pulling into the parking lot. He drove down the line until he spotted the Acura and parked near it.

"There's the car. The key is in the tray, so just follow me home-"

"I'm not getting out," Edie said. "Not until we're done."

"Edie, it's late."

"You wish he wasn't gay?" Edie asked. "Is that it? That's what the issue has been?"

Arnold rubbed his forehead with his free hand.

"Arnold, he's our only grandson," Edie explained, her eyes starting to water. "How could you wish he was different?"

"Because it doesn't make sense to me," Arnold said. "I mean, how can he like men and be okay doing such flamboyant stuff?"

"A lot of people do, Arnold," Edie continued. "It's been done since the beginning of time. For god's sake, it's 2015. It's perfectly acceptable to be that way."

"But why? Why does he have to be that way?" Arnold asked. "Was it because he didn't have a dad in his life as a kid? Was I not a good enough role model for him?"

"You were perfectly fine," Edie said, "but how could you assume he just became gay? Arnold, when he was four, he asked me to buy him some earrings at a yard sale. When he was six, he played in my clothes and said his name was Anastasia. When he was nine, he said he wanted to be an undead Disney Princess for Halloween. He was always gay, no matter how often you tried to take him fishing or teach him to work on cars."

Arnold didn't respond. Edie sighed and threw her hands up.

"My god, were you always just going to be quiet about this?" she asked. "Were you going to grin and smile as Noah brought home a boyfriend or got on RuPaul's Drag Race Season Whatever? Were you always planning on lying to him about this?"

"I was hoping I'd die before I had to," Arnold said.

Edie scoffed.

"I can't believe this. Noah could be hurt or dying right now, and he's probably under the assumption we all love him and wish he came home."

"I do love him," Arnold said.

"No you don't!" Edie said, tears starting to fall down her face. "You made it clear your love for him had limits and restrictions. You told him you cared about him for eighteen years, when in actuality you've had conditions to it. 'I love you, Noah! But I wish you weren't gay.' 'I'll always be there for you, Noah. But I'd rather not support your craft.' 'I only wish you happiness! Unless it involves marrying someone named Chad.'"

"Edith! Don't put words in my mouth," Arnold said.

Arnold never called her "Edith." If he did, he was really upset. Edie looked over her husband. His eyes were starting to water, and his face was getting redder.

"You may not have said it, but it was always there," Edie said, her voice getting low. "Noah might be dead, and he'll never know you had such disdain for a large part of who he was. Yes, everyone in our house may be lying to one another, but none of us hurt him specifically."

Edie grabbed the Acura key from the tray and opened the door. She stepped outside the car and turned back in.

"I'll see you at home," she said.

Edie closed the door and walked over to Kelly's Acura. She entered the car and started it, pulling out of the parking space and out of the lot. Arnold remained parked in his truck. He clenched his teeth and his eyes as hard as he could, then let out a scream. He repeatedly bashed his hands against the steering wheel before resting his forehead against the wheel.

Tears began to fall down Arnold's face. For the first time in weeks, he allowed himself to cry.

"Can I help you?"

"Oh, yes. I had a reservation."

"Okay, great. And your name?"

"MacIntyre. It should be under Pina MacIntyre."

The clerk at the desk typed away at her computer.

"Oh, there we go. Pina MacIntyre. You'll be in Room #8. Here's your key."

The clerk handed the key to the woman before her. The woman looked slightly disheveled and passive. She had seen people like her come to the hotel before. Maybe she was meeting a boyfriend or a lover here. It didn't matter to the clerk.

"Thank you," the woman said, taking the key.

"Enjoy your stay at the Hualapai Mountain Resort. Your room is just that way on your left."

"I will. Thank you."

Ms. Pina MacIntyre took the key and walked to where the clerk directed her to. As she did, she sighed. She could only afford three days here. Three days to forget where her son was, and what her family was doing in her home. With that, she slipped into her room and lost herself in the sheets of her queen sized bed. It had been a long day, and she was ready for it to end.
[+] spoiler
Nadia Riva

Noah Whitley

Alba Reyes
[+] spoiler

Armed with a lead pipe.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Laurels
Mr. Danya

March 28th, 2017, 1:49 am #15

June 4, 2015, late evening

Around the time Edie and Arnold left to get the car, Angie stood in the kitchen, looking out the window into the MacIntyre's backyard. It reminded Angie a lot of the backyard from her childhood home. Her family had grown up modestly in a Las Vegas suburb, her parents having meager jobs to support their four children. As the oldest, Angie was tasked to be responsible for her brother and sisters while her mom was working late at the nursing home and while her dad was working in construction.

She had learned to make a home in the process. She knew how to wrangle three younger kids, how to prepare simple dinners, and how to keep the laundry going. But it was all so tiring. She hid it from everyone, but Angie wanted nothing more than to get away from all of it. She wanted to be the girl who could have sleepovers with her friends in the nicer parts of town instead of spending her weekends making sure Charles got to his soccer practice or that Emily and Avery made it to junior cheerleading. She wanted to spend her afternoons shopping with the friends or seeing movies instead of making sure Emily wasn't falling behind in math or that Charles had clean clothes for tomorrow.

That's why she bailed when she could. She got into UCLA and left to become the next big web developer. When she started college, the internet was just taking off, and she had to get on it as soon as possible. She had to create a website that would change everything, that would affect how we share information and how we communicated. She was going to create something memorable.

But then she met Christian. She had just started working at a software development firm in Las Vegas, and she had run into him at a coffee shop one day. It was fine at first; he was a handsome older man, he had charmed her with some card tricks, and soon they were seeing each other every weekend and calling one another every night. She knew he was damaged, who wasn't in this world? She knew he had struggles with alcoholism, had been through a divorce, and had a son he wasn't allowed to see. She thought she could handle it. She could recommend he find ways to stay sober, or find ways to work out a new agreement with his ex. It was all possible.

After all, this is what she was capable of doing. Being there for her younger siblings had worked out immensely. Charles was at MIT for grad school, Emily was coaching championship winning teams, and Avery was already making an impression at the advertising firm she worked at. Surely Christian would be like the rest of them. She could manage him and pursue an amazing career in virgin technology. She knew exactly what she needed to do, and thankfully, it had resulted in a nice house, a hardworking husband, an adorable stepson, and a baby on the way.

And yet she still found Christian in bed with another woman.

The year was 2006. Angie and Christian had been married over a year, and Ella was due in a few months. Christian was now seeing his son regularly, and they were building a home for themselves. Angie was at work, trying to finish most of her projects before starting her maternity leave. On that day, Angie had been feeling unwell, but tried to power through it. However, a seriously bad case of morning sickness had made her unable to do her work as well. Her boss, recognizing that Angie wasn't going to work well, suggested she head home and work from home. She could assign tasks to her coworkers, and they'd all understand.

After declining an offer to be given a lift home, Angie arrived back to her home. To her surprise, Christian's car was in the driveway. She wondered why he was home so early, since he had been fine so far. Unfortunately, when Angie made her way upstairs to the bedroom, she found him on top of some other woman. After some awkward attempts at explaining, Angie hurried into the bathroom to throw up again. By the time she was back, the woman was gone, and Christian was there looking embarrassed at his indecency.

Angie wanted to be mad. She wanted to scream at him, bash him over the head with a lamp, and push him out the window. She wanted him to touch the child growing in her stomach and ask him to tell their daughter he was a liar and a cheater. She wanted him to get on his knees and beg to never do that again.

But she didn't do any of that. Christian rattled off his excuses. She was a client from work, she came over to talk about a project at the bank, and things just happened. Angie let him say his words, then spoke.

"That was your one."

That was all she needed to say. She didn't speak to Christian about it for the rest of the day. After all, this was just who Christian was. He was a man of vices, who had suffered for them and tried to overcome them. This was probably just stress from work and the baby that that bitch could solve with her loose pussy. Angie could accept that. After all, she was the one to nip it in the bud. She could make him suffer for his indiscretions by making him imagine how he'd suffer. She could take the baby and all his money. She could damage his custody standing with his son. She could cost him his job. She could destroy him and make him think twice of ever doing that to another woman again.

But she couldn't be that person. She couldn't harm the father of her child. As much as she hated it, she needed Christian. Angie couldn't have the additional stress while pregnant. So she had to be crafty. She had to use her mind to punish Christian, to make him afraid of her. Sure enough, it worked. He was never more kind and generous to her than he was for the months after that. He even took a notable leave from his job to take care of Ella so she could go back to work early.

Part of why it worked was that, as she was sure, Christian knew he needed her. He failed Noah and Kelly. He failed so many people with his addiction. He needed her to feel better. He needed to know he could be a good husband and father. That meant her daughter was going to get the best Christian possible. It was bad for Noah, but it was best for Ella. Christian was going to give her all the favor in the world because he felt he owed it to her.

But now he had gone and kissed Kelly. Kelly, the blonde bitch who finally was okay taking alimony, had used her tears to make Christian weak for her again. Granted, Angie should have realized that. Of course he'd feel tension with his ex-wife while their son was dying in some far corner of the world. Of course he may be tempted and that Kelly would turn to him considering he was the only man in the house she could turn to for affection. Angie couldn't blame her, but that didn't mean she had to like her. Kelly had taken her laptop and shut herself off from the world, acting like watching the streams was her duty and hers alone. Yes, Angie shouldn't have suggested it, and maybe Angie was a hypocrite for watching the streams on her phone, but she was entitled to know what was happening to Noah was much as the others were. She made a point that someone should watch, but she believed the others should watch if they wanted.

She certainly didn't want Ella watching. Ella shouldn't have to see that. But Ella was smart. Ella had seen Christian and Kelly kissing, and she had figured out that Angie was watching the stream. Maybe Angie was ignoring her too much. She had to do a better job looking after her daughter in this time.

Angie walked up the stairs and headed over to Noah's room. After everything that happened, Ella had remained in Noah's bedroom. Angie couldn't blame her. People were fighting and cursing in the hall after Ella made that video, so she must have been frightened. Angie approached the door and knocked.

"Ella?"

No response.

"Ella, can we talk? Please, let me in."

There was a muffled response from behind the door.

"What was that?" Angie asked, leaning closer to the door.

"Go away."

Angie froze. She put her hand on the doorknob. She rattled it, but it was still locked.

"Ella, please let me in. What's wrong?"

"Mom, just go away."

Angie gritted her teeth. No. She was done with this. Everyone in this house was falling apart. Kelly had run away, Christian was in exile, and Edie and Arnold were useless to get anything done. Angie had enough of this.

"Ella, I'm coming in, whether you like it or not."

Angie stormed down the hall and down the stairs. She quickly moved through the house, searching every closet and cabinet she could. She didn't know where Arnold kept the tools, but she had time to look. After a few minutes, she found what she was looking for in the garage. She picked up a hammer and a flathead screwdriver, then made her way back to Noah's room.

"Ella, open the door on the count of three, or I'm coming in!" Angie shouted.

"Go away!" Ella shouted.

Angie shook her head.

"Fine. Forget counting. I'm coming in!"

Angie held the screwdriver up to one of the door hinges. She then started hammering the end of the screwdriver, causing the pin to move upward. When Angie was sixteen, her dad made her take a bathroom door off the hinges when the hinges had to be replaced. It was a skill she had almost entirely forgotten about, but thankfully, it came back at the right time.

The first pin was out, and Angie let it drop to the floor.

"One down, two to go!" she shouted at the door.

Angie began hammering on the next one. As she did, she missed the sound of the front door opening and a voice calling out. By the time the second pin was out, Edie had appeared at the top of the stairs.

"Angie, what are you doing?" Edie asked.

Angie quickly looked at Edie.

"Hi, Edie. Did you find the car?"

"Yes, but what are you doing?"

Angie looked back at the door, then at Edie.

"Talking to my daughter," Angie said.

Angie began to hammer on the last hinge. The door was close to falling over, but Angie kept hammering. Edie rushed over and grabbed the door.

"Angie, don't wreck my house," Edie said.

"Why not? Your daughter wrecked mine," Angie said.

Angie popped the last pin out, then moved forward, pushing the door. Edie let out a cry as Noah's door fell down on the ground. Angie looked in. Ella was sitting at the computer, facing away from the door. Angie walked in.

"Ella, we need to talk right now," Angie said.

"Go away," Ella muttered.

Angie picked up her pace and grabbed the back of the chair. She spun it around, but stopped. Ella was sitting on the chair with her knees pulled up to her chest. Her eyes were red and watery.

"Ella..."

"Something's wrong," Ella said.

Angie looked over at the computer. The stream was still playing, but now Noah was lying on a bed in some room. He was curled up and panting.

"He collapsed earlier. He doesn't look so good," Ella said. "I think he might be dying."

Ella lowered her head, disappearing inwards. She let out a whimper. Angie let go of the chair and stood straight up. Edie remained at the door, keeping her hands close to her heart. Angie lowered her head and shook it.

"I'm sorry," she said. "I should have known."

Angie walked away from Ella and sat on Noah's bed. She buried her face in her palms. No matter what she did, she couldn't manage this.
[+] spoiler
Nadia Riva

Noah Whitley

Alba Reyes
[+] spoiler

Armed with a lead pipe.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Laurels
Mr. Danya

March 28th, 2017, 7:27 pm #16

June 5, 2015, early evening

Kelly sighed as she set her glass down. She rubbed her hand on the bar counter, wiping the condensation off. She stared down at the glass of sangria in front of her. She stared at the grape floating near the top, and she pushed it down with her straw. She began to stir the drink, moving the fruit and ice around and making a clinking sound as the ice tapped the glass. She let out another sigh.

Since she ran away from the home, Kelly had been spending her time as lethargically as possible. She slept in late, ordered a large lunch for herself from room service, then spent the afternoon walking around the trails of the resort. She hadn't spoken to anyone else there since she arrived, but knew what to say if she did. She was Pina MacIntyre, a single businesswoman looking to take a long weekend to treat herself after finishing a big project with a major client. She could make up the details if she needed. Having spent the last sixteen years working in a bar, she knew the names of dozens of businesses in Kingman and the surrounding area and knew the jargon to give as well. She could probably be convincing.

It was dinner time, and Kelly was sitting at the bar in the resort's restaurant. All around, she could hear the sounds of people who were there for vacations or other events. From the way the staff was moving around, it looked like there would be a wedding there soon. Flowers were being hung from the walls, cloths were being laid on the tables. Kelly had to eat early before the restaurant would be closed for a rehearsal dinner. That was fine by her. She had eaten a salad, and could order more to her room if needed.

For now, she just sat at the bar and continued to drink. She was already on her second sangria, and could feel like having more. She stopped stirring the drink and took another sip. As she did, a man sat next to her. She glanced over at him, then away. She took another sip.

"I'll have a coke with lemon," the man said to the bartender.

The bartender poured the drink for the man, dropping a lemon wedge in. Kelly watched the man take his drink. She rubbed her hand against her forehead.

"Not in the mood for something strong?" she asked.

"I gave it up years ago," the man said in response. "It's not easy, but I'm learning to enjoy the flavor of the drink over how buzzed I can get."

Kelly smirked as the man took another sip.

"You are so full of shit," she said.

The man looked at her. "Maybe, but I know better than getting drunk around you."

Kelly's smirk vanished.

"How did you find me?"

"Hualapai Mountain Resort," the man said. "We didn't have a proper wedding ceremony, so your parents paid for us to have a honeymoon instead. Hualapai was where they sent us."

Christian turned to face Kelly.

"Even I remember that."

Kelly glanced downwards, then back to her drink.

"I thought I was careful."

"You were," Christian said. "You just forgot that I remembered this place when your parents didn't."

Kelly was silent. Christian took another sip of his drink.

"Are you going to make me go home?" she asked.

"No. Even if I brought you, I probably wouldn't be let back in the house anyways. I think it's best I stay out for a bit."

Kelly shook her head.

"Was it true? Did you cheat on Angie?" Kelly asked.

"Yes."

"I shouldn't be surprised," Kelly replied.

"I wouldn't expect you to," Christian said.

"Well, you never cheated on me," Kelly said.

"I did."

Kelly raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

Christian nodded. "Before we were seriously going out, I hooked up with an ex. It was a one time thing, but I was interested in you, so it felt like a betrayal."

"That doesn't count. If this was before we were officially dating, it's not cheating."

"Yeah, but it was cheating to me."

"Was there anyone else?"

"Tanya."

"Tanya? My co-worker?"

"At the lounge, yeah."

"When was this?"

"It was when you and your friends were away for a holiday a few months after Noah was born. Tanya came over to help me out, and we ended up in bed."

"That bitch..." Kelly muttered. "Wait, so you fucked her while watching Noah?"

"Well, he was asleep then, but regardless. Believe me, Tanya wanted it to be forgotten as soon as it was happened. She was going through a rough patch with Dalton and it spilled over and-"

"Okay, I got it."

Kelly tilted her head as she looked at Christian. "Who did you cheat on Angie with?"

"Her name was Rebecca. We were working together at the bank for a deal, and I invited her to my house to finish the deal. Then we started drinking, and we ended up in bed."

"Smooth."

"Shut up. Anyways, Angie caught us, and Rebecca ran off. We didn't see each other after that. It was a real dumb move. Angie was pregnant with Ella, we were both stressed and at each other's throats, and Rebecca was there when I was really losing it."

Christian rubbed his forehead.

"Believe me, I hate that I fall into the trap over and over again. I just don't know why it keeps happening."

"You're selfish," Kelly said.

"Excuse me?"

"You've always been," she explained. "You always wanted a lot of money, a lot of prestige, and a lot of fun. Whether it was poker or drinking, if it made you feel better, than it was worth it. I do believe you try your hardest to be more than that, but at the end of the day, you just want what you want."

"Hey, I kissed you because you wanted it."

"And how many times have you kissed Angie since Noah vanished? How many times have you two made love?"

Christian was silent. Kelly chuckled.

"Don't worry. I'm selfish too. I made this whole mess about me and acted like a total diva. I was the weeping mother who cared about her son so much she locked herself in her room like a madwoman and made everyone tread lightly around her because she was taking on such a dangerous task."

Kelly started to laugh a bit. "God, I'm so worried about our kids."

"Don't worry," he said. "Noah and Ella are so much better than we are."

"I guess so. I mean, how the hell did Ella record and publish that video?"

"I'm telling you, I can't sometimes with her. She once started a lemonade stand outside our house, but charged boys more for the lemonade than girls."

"What? Why?"

"She saw Angie watching a news report about the wage gap and decided to do the same."

"How old was she when she did this?"

"It was last year."

"So it's not too much of a stretch."

"No, but Angie certainly didn't tell her to do that. Seriously, she was charging the boys 50 cents for every 25 cents per girl."

Kelly started to laugh. "Noah never did anything like that. But oh man, did he ever tell you about Ernie in the ceiling?"

"Ernie?"

"It was from a book he found at the library. Ernie's some genie who lives in the ceiling and loves eggs. So it told you to throw eggs at the ceiling so Ernie would reach down and grab them."

"Oh no. I think I know what this means."

"No, it's not what you think," Kelly said. "Noah grabbed a whole carton of eggs and a stepladder and got up to the ceiling and started tapping it, asking if Ernie was there."

"How old was he?"

"Five."

"Oh my god."

"So yeah, he figured it'd be easy to go to the top and just hand Ernie the eggs instead of throwing them."

Christian laughed.

"Oh, man. That was so much better than I thought."

"Yeah, except my dad came up from behind and shouted 'What are you doing?!?' which startled Noah so much he dropped the whole carton on the floor."

"Nooooooo..."

"Yes."

Christian chuckled. "Oh, wow. I can't believe that."

"Yeah."

The two fell silent. They each took another sip from their drinks. Kelly's smile vanished.

"Chris, can we go back to my room? I'd like to talk in private."

"Sure."

The two paid their tabs and went back to Kelly's room. They ordered a bottle of wine and had it delivered. Christian poured a glass for Kelly and handed it to her. Kelly sat on the bed while Christian sat on a chair in the corner.

"What did you want to talk about?" Christian asked.

Kelly stared at Christian.

"Do they know I'm here?"

"Who?"

"Everyone. Did they send you?"

"No," he said. "I did find you on my own."

Kelly sighed. Christian took a look at her.

"Do you want to know about Noah?"

Kelly perked up. "What?"

"Noah. Do you want an update on him?"

Kelly's eyes widened and her breathing got sparse. "Chris, don't tell me-"

"No, no," he said. "He's still alive."

"Oh, thank god," she said. "I thought you were going to-"

"But he said something," Christian said.

"What?"

"He addressed the cameras," Christian said. "From what I've read, Noah's talked to the cameras quite a bit, mostly telling them dirty jokes I've shared with him. But he said something for everyone."

"Chris..."

Christian pulled out his phone and unlocked it. On screen was a text message to Angie. "Tell Edie and Arnold I found Kelly. I'll try to bring her home, so the police don't have to look for her." It was followed by a picture of Kelly at the bar, taken moments before he approached her. He clicked out of his text messaging app and clicked his web browser. The browser pulled up Noah's stream, frozen on a moment of him looking directly into a camera.

"I kept checking his stream today. He hasn't done much. He cried because a friend of his died, but spent the day alone in a room doing weird stuff. But he had something to say before he and his friend left to explore. I think you need to see this."

Christian handed the phone to Kelly after pressing play. Kelly held the phone and watched as her son spoke.

"Hey, Mom. I lasted five days here. That's longer than I did in little league, so I hope you're proud of me. Let me make this quick. Listen, I don't know what's gonna happen, but if I don't come back, please take care of everyone. I know Grandma and Grandpa will be sad, but could you try to be strong for them? You were always the badass matriarch our house needed, so I hope you can keep everyone going. Um, Dad. Angie. I hope you guys can be there for my mom if she needs help. Please also make sure Ella's okay. I can't imagine how she's processing this shit. But she's a trooper, so I hope you can explain it to her well. Oh, and as for my stuff, maybe you guys can auction it off to raise money for Ella's college. Wait, no, just give her my college fund. Odds are I won't need it any more. She's probably Harvard-bound anyways and could use the cash. I'll think of other things to say the next time I get a quiet moment with the cameras. Until then...um...peace, I guess. There isn't any here, but surely you guys have some."

Kelly remained stone faced as the video played. Once Noah walked away from the camera, she burst into tears. Christian moved over to the bed and took the phone from Kelly. As he did, Kelly wrapped her arms around him and began to sob into his chest.

"It's okay," Christian said. "He's doing fine, and he's taking it well."

"But he's still there. He's still there, and he doesn't think he'll come home."

Christian was silent. "We just have to believe in him. There's got to be some way for him to come home-"

Before Christian could say anything else, Kelly moved forward and kissed him. This time, Christian didn't resist, and kissed her back. After realizing what she did, Kelly pulled back.

"Shit, sorry," she said. "I shouldn't have-"

Before she could say anything, Christian pulled her back and kissed her.

"Fuck it," he said, breaking the kiss. "We're in grief. We're allowed to be stupid now."

"But Angie-"

"Fuck Angie," Christian said. "What do you want right now?"

Kelly paused, looking downward. "I..."

Kelly pushed Christian down on the bed and climbed on top of him. She continued to kiss him as she started to unbutton his shirt. Christian moved his hands under Kelly's blouse and began to raise it up, exposing her midsection. As the two continued to kiss, Christian grabbed his phone and turned it on silent. Kelly noticed this.

"Why did you do that?" she asked.

"I don't want any interruptions," he said, looking at the screen.

Christian set the phone upside down, the pulled Kelly closer. He held onto her and rolled her over. They continued to kiss and undress, ignoring everything else in the room.

On Christian's phone was a message from Angie.

"Okay. Do whatever you have to to get Kelly home. I don't care anymore."

As the sounds of Kelly and Christian's lovemaking filled the room, the phone vibrated on the nightstand. Neither Christian nor Kelly heard it. If they did, they would have seen another text from Angie.

"Where are you? Go to Kingman Regional Medical Center ASAP. Something's happened to Edie."
[+] spoiler
Nadia Riva

Noah Whitley

Alba Reyes
[+] spoiler

Armed with a lead pipe.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Laurels
Mr. Danya

March 29th, 2017, 11:31 pm #17

June 5, 2015, early evening

Edie sat on the living room couch, staring at the fireplace in the room. The fire wasn't lit, but she simply stared forward and kept her eye on it, as if it would light just from her stare. She took a sip from her mug of tea, then sighed. As she did, Angie walked in.

"Okay, Ella and I are going to go for a walk," Angie said. "We should be back in time for dinner."

"Alright," Edie said. "We're just going to order pizza, if that's okay."

"Yeah, of course," Angie said. "I just want to have a talk with Ella, that's all."

Angie pulled her phone out of her pocket, then set it down on the coffee table.

"I don't want any interruptions," Angie said, "but we shouldn't be gone for long, so if anything comes up, just tell us when we get back."

"Okay," Edie said, turning back to look at the fireplace.

Angie silently stared at Edie, before turning away. Ella was standing at the front door, waiting to go out with her mother.

"Alright, ready to go?" Angie said.

Ella quietly nodded. Angie opened the door and guided Ella outside. She closed the door behind her. Once the room was silent again, Edie lowered her head and sighed. Before she could do anything else, she heard Angie's phone go off. Edie stared at the text message on Angie's phone. It was from Christian. It was a picture of Kelly sitting at a bar, along with a message saying he had found her.

Edie's eyes widened and she reached forward to grab the phone. The phone was still unlocked from when Angie last checked it, so Edie began to type a message.

"Okay," she began to write.

Edie paused for a second. She wanted Kelly home as soon as possible. She was writing a message to ensure Christian knew to get Kelly home. However, this meant writing as Angie. She could tell him Angie was out of the house, but she'd pass it along, but what mattered was getting Kelly back home before anything happened. She needed to say something to him, but wasn't sure what. After a few minutes of waiting, Edie finished the message.

"Do whatever you have to to get Kelly home. I don't care anymore."

Edie sent the text. Maybe it was wrong to send a message on Angie's behalf, but she wanted to ensure that Kelly got him. Things were already going crazy in the house. One minute there's fighting and cursing, then Christian's kicked out of the home, while Angie removes Noah's bedroom door and Arnold gets exiled to the couch for the night. Maybe Kelly being home wouldn't make things entirely better, but they'd be a start.

"I better call the police..." Edie said.

Edie got up from the couch and walked to the kitchen. She needed to let the police know they found Kelly before a missing person's report was filed.

Angie and Ella walked along the sidewalk of the MacIntyre's neighborhood. Since schools had closed due to the kidnappings, there were a lot more kids out and about in the area. Some were playing baseball in the road, while others were playing tag in their yard. As they walked along, Angie noticed Ella didn't seem to pay much attention to them. Ella kept her gaze to her feet as they walked. Angie put a hand on Ella's head.

"I know," Angie said. "You're not happy."

"No," Ella said. "I'm not."

Angie sighed. "I know, and you have a right to be. This has been a terrible month for everyone."

Ella stared at a pair of children fighting with lightsabers in front of their house. The kids were making fake lightsaber sounds and shouting at every parry.

"Not for them," she said. "They're acting like nothing's happening."

"Well, maybe they don't know anyone abducted," Angie said. "They might say prayers at night for the kids."

"But that's not helping," Ella said.

"You don't know that," Angie said.

"Yes I do."

Ella glanced away from the kids and started to walk ahead of her mother. Angie tried to match her pace. The two kept walking along the sidewalk, and were nearing a small park.

"Why don't we walk around that park a bit and then go back home?" Angie said.

Ella nodded. Angie silently followed Ella, and the two soon made their way to the park. The park was a small block with only two or three trees littering the area. There were a few benches scattered around the dirt paths. The two made their way over.

"Ella, I know it's hard to tell, but this event will change this city forever."

"How?" Ella asked.

"Well, over one hundred kids have been kidnapped. Unless there's a miracle, all but one will die. If we're lucky, that one will be Noah. It's going to hang around the citizens for a long time. Parents might be more distrustful of the school system or make a larger call to action, such as suing the government. The kids you see playing around may act like everything is okay, but that's because they don't know to be afraid."

Angie and Ella walked into the park and started along a trail.

"Is everything going to be different for us?" Ella asked. "Even if Noah comes home?"

"What do you mean?"

Ella stopped walking and looked directly at her mother.

"Are you and Dad going to get a divorce?"

"What? Why?"

"I heard you," Ella said. "Dad's cheated on you before, and he kissed Noah's mom. Is that it for you guys?"

Angie shook her head.

"El, it's too soon to say. It's a chaotic time, and we're not being logical."

"But when you have time to think, is it going to be over?"

Angie paused, then lowered herself to Ella's level.

"Ella, I love your father. We've been together over ten years, and he gave me you. I'll always be grateful for that. But I recognize that he's made mistakes, and he's done things that have hurt me. I'll know what to do with him when the time comes, but right now, I want to think about your brother and what he's going through."

Ella tried not to look at her mother. Angie put a hand on Ella's shoulder and smiled.

"Don't worry. I'm sure he'll come home soon," Angie said. "Maybe we can all go somewhere fun once he gets back. All seven of us."

Ella nudged herself back, removing Angie's hand from her shoulder.

"Mom, he's not coming back. Noah's not getting off that island. He's alone and sick, and he'll probably be killed by one of those crazy kids."

"Ella-"

"If he doesn't come back, then Dad probably won't either."

"Whoa, what makes you-"

"Because Dad like Noah's mom. She's sad, and Dad would kiss her if it makes her happy. He'll choose her, and you'll leave him, and he'll stay here with her."

"Ella, that's-"

"And honestly, if Noah doesn't come home, it's probably for the better. His grandpa doesn't like him at all, his mom's a wreck, his dad's hurting everyone, and you're mad at everyone. He's going to come home and learn everyone is a liar and that everyone just uses him to get back at one another."

"Ella, stop!" Angie shouted.

Ella looked up at her mother. She could see her mom's eyes were starting to water.

"Ella, I love your dad. Yes, he's lousy, but I don't want to let this destroy our relationship. His grandpa may not like what Noah does, but I sure as hell knows he'd rather see Noah dance in a dress than fighting his peers on some island somewhere. And yes, his mom might be doing some crappy things right now, but it's only because she loves Noah so much. He's her only baby, and she's so scared about what would happen to him.

"If some terrorists abducted you and forced you into a similar game, I'd probably be as much of a wreck as she is. You're my only daughter, and it's my job to make sure you're safe and secure. I know I won't always succeed, but I know that losing you would be the most devastating thing to ever happen to me. And believe me, I wouldn't want to sit in some room watching you run around an island, I'd want to be calling everyone I can to find a way to get you home. I'd want to see those monsters punished for what they did to you, Noah, and every other child they murdered in these sick games.

"So please, don't hate your dad. Don't hate Noah's mom. Don't hate his grandparents. And please don't hate me. I'm sorry we haven't been good to you these last few weeks. I'm sorry if you've been scared or angry or upset. We're all scared, angry, and upset, and maybe we're not handling this the best way, but dammit, we're trying. You might not believe it right now, but we do love each other, and we all want the same thing. We all want Noah to be okay and we all want to get past this horrible incident."

Angie could feel tears starting to fall down her cheeks. Ella's eyes were also starting to flutter from tears. Angie pulled Ella close and hugged her tight.

"I'm so sorry, Ella. We should have been better, but I don't think anyone can be prepared for such an event."

Ella sniffled. Angie hugged her tighter.

"Come on. Let's go home and have some pizza. I bet the Edie knows a good place."

"Do you think they have stuffed crust?" Ella asked.

Angie looked at her daughter and smiled. She nodded.

"We'll see. But if they do, we can ask Edie."

Angie wiped her eyes. She stood back up.

"Come on, let's go."

Ella wiped her eyes, and the two started walking back out of the park. Ella grabbed her mom's hand and held it tight. Angie smiled and held Ella's tiny hand as tight as she could.

"Yes. Yes. Thank you."

Edie hung the phone up, keeping her hand on the phone for a few extra seconds. She held her hand over her heart and closed her eyes. She felt her breathing start to get heavy. The police knew Kelly was okay. She knew Kelly was okay. Christian would surely find a way to get her back home.

The back door opened and Arnold walked in. He had just finished taking another smoke break, and now the smell of tobacco filled the kitchen.

"What was that?" he asked.

"Christian found Kelly," Edie said. "I was just letting the police know."

"Oh, thank god," Arnold said. "Where is she?"

"Some bar," Edie said. "I don't know where."

Edie tightened her fist against her chest. Her breathing was concerning, and she was starting to feel weak. She stepped away from the phone and into the living room. Arnold followed after her. Edie sat down on the couch, sighing as she rubbed her forehead. Arnold stood at the entrance to the kitchen.

"Edie," Arnold said. "Can we please talk?"

"I'm not in the mood," Edie said, moving her hands to her eyes.

Arnold quietly rolled his eyes.

"Look, Edie, I know I was an ass last night. But I think there's worse to worry about like-"

"Arnold, please just shut up and leave me alone!"

Arnold froze. Edie had gotten mad at him in the past, but she never just snapped at him.

"Edie, what is it?" Arnold asked.

Edie shook her head. "I just haven't been feeling well. So I'm just going to go lay down upstairs."

Edie stood up from the couch and began to walk towards the stairs. Arnold started to walk after her. Edie paused at the bannister, her breathing starting to pick up. Arnold noticed her frozen in place.

"Edie, what are you-"

Before Arnold could finish, the strength in Edie's legs gave out, and she fell to the ground. Her body was half on the stairs, and half on the ground. Arnold rushed over to her.

"Edie! Edie! Are you okay?" He asked, turning her over.

Edie wasn't responding. She was still breathing, but she was hardly moving. Before Arnold could do anything, the front door opened, and Angie and Ella walked in. Angie froze in place, removing her hand from Ella's.

"Arnold, what happened?" she asked.

"Edie collapsed," he told her. "Call 911."

"Got it," Angie said.

Angie ran into the living room. "Ella, get her some water!" she shouted.

Ella was frozen in place, but then hurried into the living room. She passed her mother and ran into the kitchen. Angie grabbed her phone and quickly dialed 911.

"Hi, please help. My...friend has collapsed. She's breathing, but she's not reacting."

Arnold held Edie close, trying to keep her conscious.

"Edie, please stay with me," he muttered. "Please, please stay with me."

Ella ran back with a glass of water. Arnold took the glass from her and held it to Edie's mouth. Edie sipped the water, some of it dribbling down her chin. Angie then ran back in.

"Okay, they're sending an ambulance," she said. "Let's move her to the couch."

Angie pocketed the phone and moved over to the others. Arnold held Edie under her armpits, while Angie grabbed her by the legs. Ella moved out of their way as the two carried her over to the couch. They laid Edie down on the couch. Angie looked at her phone, anticipating a message from the paramedics. As she did. she noticed some text messages she missed. Christian had apparently found Kelly. Not only that, but someone had told him to get her home however she could. Angie didn't think much about that right now.

"Where will they take her?" Angie asked.

"What?"

"Where's the nearest hospital?"

"Probably Kingman Regional Medical Center," Arnold said.

"Great," Angie said. "I'll tell Christian."

"Christian?"

"He found Kelly, apparently," Angie said. "He and Kelly can meet us there."

Angie began to type the message, unaware that Christian had just put his phone on silent. Arnold continued to stroke Edie's forehead, while Ella stood silently in the corner.

"Please god, not her too," Arnold muttered under his breath.

Edie didn't show it, but she heard Arnold say that. She lay motionless, even as the sounds of an ambulance drifted closer to the house. She didn't know what to say, so she remained silent.
[+] spoiler
Nadia Riva

Noah Whitley

Alba Reyes
[+] spoiler

Armed with a lead pipe.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Laurels
Mr. Danya

March 31st, 2017, 1:50 am #18

June 5, 2015, late evening

"Where the hell are they?" Angie muttered to herself, looking at her phone.

Angie looked at the chain of text messages she had sent. They were all in a similar vein. "Where are you?" "Call me." "Turn your fucking ringer on." Not a single reply in almost four hours. She thought to herself that Christian had better be doing his job of getting Kelly home, otherwise there was no excuse for this.

Angie leaned against the wall and sighed. Visiting time was almost over, and there was still no sign of Christian nor Kelly anywhere. The last few hours had been pretty rough. After Edie fainted, Angie was worried the poor old woman had finally broken down. However, by the time paramedics arrived, Edie was back to talking and responding. They still took her in to the hospital anyways to check on her, just to be safe. Angie and Ella followed along, while Arnold rode in the ambulance with his wife.

According to the doctor, Edie had collapsed from exhaustion. For women of her age, it was crucial to be eating properly and to be maintaining the environment she was in. Arnold and Angie were silent the entire discussion. To be safe, Edie was given an IV, and if she was well enough, she could go home the next day. All that remained was to wait and see.

Angie looked at her watch. They had fifteen minutes left in visiting hours. She decided to walk back into the room. Inside, Edie was lying quietly in the hospital bed. Arnold sat next to her, gently stroking her hand. Ella was curled up in a chair in the corner, resting her head against the wall. She had fallen asleep a little while ago. Angie sat in the chair on the other side of the bed.

"How're you holding up?" she asked Edie.

"I'm fine," Edie said weakly. "I'm sorry to put you all through such a scare."

"It's alright," Arnold said, tightening his grip on Edie's hand. "Just take it easy now."

"Yeah," Angie said. "You've been really busy these last few days."

Angie reached over and patted Edie on the back. Edie gave a weak smile. It had been a long week, and for Edie, it was quite an unusual one. Along with the stress of knowing if her grandson was safe or not, she had to entertain house guests and handle a lot of chores. It hadn't been the easiest time, and along the way she forgot to take care of herself. She punished herself in her mind for not eating as well as she should have, and for not getting adequate rest.

"Sorry," Edie said. "The truth is, I didn't get a lot of sleep last night. And I didn't feel like eating much today."

"I've had those kind of days," Angie said. "Believe me, it happens to everyone."

"No, it's not that," Edie interrupted. "Yesterday was the worst, and I never allowed myself to recover from it."

"Edie..." Arnold started.

Edie turned her head and faced Arnold.

"Arnold, for all the years we've been together, I shouldn't have treated you like that. I shouldn't have said such horrible things to you. Please forgive me."

Arnold's eyes started to water. He grabbed Edie's hand and held it up to his forehead.

"You did nothing wrong," Arnold said. "I was such an idiot then. You're right. I haven't been honest with Noah all these years, and that was a disservice to him. He's my only grandchild and I squandered so much time I should have spent with him. I should be taken out back and shot."

"Whoa," Angie said. "Arnold, that's extreme. What happened?"

Arnold sniffled, and rubbed Edie's hand. He looked up at his wife, her face full of pity. Arnold closed his eyes, then spoke

"Angie, the truth is, I never came to terms with-"

"Mom!"

Angie, Arnold, and Edie all turned to the door. Standing there, her face red from running, was Kelly. She stood there, panting, as Christian slowly walked in behind her. Kelly started to tear up, then broke down crying. She ran over to her father's side and hugged her mom.

"I'm sorry..." Kelly said. "I'm sorry."

Edie hugged Kelly back.

"Don't worry," Edie said. "It's fine."

"No, it's not. It's all my fault," Kelly said.

Edie rubbed the back of Kelly's head. "No, I should have been more careful. It's not your fault."

Kelly continued to cry. As she did, Angie looked over at Christian.

"Where was she?" Angie asked Christian.

"Hualapai," Christian said. "It's a resort outside of town."

"Oh, the place we sent you guys for your honeymoon," Arnold said. "That's a nice place."

"Oh. I see," Angie said, looking away from Christian.

Christian stared at his wife, noticing her expression turning forlorn. He glanced downwards, then looked back at Kelly and her parents. As he did, Ella began to stir in her chair. She rubbed her eyes and looked at the adults in the room.

"Is Edie going to be fine?" Christian asked.

"Yes," Arnold said. "We just had a scare. I'm just surprised more of us haven't broken down like this."

Everyone in the room was silent. They all began to move their eyes away from one another, letting the statement hang in the air. Ella looked at the adults, then spoke.

"So Noah didn't get his sense of humor from you," Ella said.

The adults all turned towards Ella. Ella sat in her chair, hands in her lap, staring at them. After a few seconds of silence, Kelly let out a snicker. She covered her mouth as soon as she did.

"Sorry, that wasn't appropriate," she said.

Christian smirked. "When have you ever been?"

"Oh shut up," Kelly said. "Don't talk to me about appropriateness when you're telling our son gross jokes about leprechauns in truck stops."

"Leprechauns?" Edie asked, chortling in bafflement.

"Yeah," Kelly said. "This guy walks into a truck stop to-"

"Nope. Nope. Nope," Angie said. "Not with Ella in the room. Don't tell her that one."

"Mom, I'm not a baby," Ella said. "I watch Noah's show."

"Yeah, and you shouldn't follow his example," Arnold said.

"Oh really?" Ella said.

Ella slacked her jaw and stuck her chest forward, putting one hand on her hip.

"Hi, y'all!" she shouted. "I'm Pina Bucket! I'm so dumb that when I heard it was raining cats and dogs, all I could think was 'Yay, now I've got dinner for a week!'"

All the adults in the room began to snicker. Even Arnold had to hold a fist to his mouth as he smirked. Ella continued to pose with her mouth wide open, her teeth jutting out, and her back bent forward.

"Was that in one of his videos?" Arnold asked.

"Yeah. The one about idioms," Ella said, settling back into a normal expression and position.

"Oh, I see," Arnold said.

"You didn't watch it?" Christian asked.

"No, I must have forgotten," Arnold said.

Ella rolled her eyes, which Angie raised an eyebrow at. Angie clapped her hands together.

"Listen, I'm glad you guys are back," Angie said, "but we're going to be kicked out soon. Should we go?"

"I want to stay," Kelly said.

"Kelly, your mom needs to rest," Christian said. "Give her space."

"Look, we came in separate cars," Arnold said. "You three can go ahead first. We'll catch up soon."

"Sure," Christian said, looking to Angie and Ella. "Ready to go."

"Okay," Ella said, hopping down from her chair.

"Yeah," Angie said. "You take care, Edie."

"Take care," parroted Ella.

"Thank you," Edie said.

Arnold handed a house key to Christian, and he, Angie, and Ella walked out of the room. Christian peered back in before they left.

"Okay, we'll see you at home," he said.

"Bye," said Arnold.

Kelly continued to nuzzle against her mother, waving without looking at Christian. Christian left the room, joining up with Angie and Ella.

"Alright. Let's go home," Christian said.

The three began to walk down the hallway towards the elevator. As they did, Ella walked close to her dad, then flared her nostrils.

"Dad, you smell sweaty," Ella said.

"I do?" Christian said, sniffing his armpit. "Yuck! I do."

"Yeah. You smell gross."

"Oh, well, sorry honey," he said. "I was outside talking to Noah's mom tonight, and he was hot."

"I thought you were in a bar," Angie said.

"We started in the bar, but then we moved outside to talk. You know how warm Arizona in June is."

Angie raised an eyebrow as the three stepped into the elevator. She looked up and down Christian as the elevator began to move. She could see beads of sweat trickling on his brow, even though the hospital was well air conditioned. He wasn't looking over at Angie, staring off at the elevator door before him. Angie's eyes squinted as she noticed Christian bite his lip. He was hiding something, and she was going to figure it out.

But that could wait until everyone was home.
[+] spoiler
Nadia Riva

Noah Whitley

Alba Reyes
[+] spoiler

Armed with a lead pipe.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Laurels
Mr. Danya

April 6th, 2017, 11:50 pm #19

June 6, 2015, mid-afternoon

"Kel, I'm sure we're good to go," Edie said.

"I know," Kelly said, looking around the hospital bed, "I just want to be sure."

"We didn't even bring much yesterday," Edie explained. "It was just an overnight stay."

Kelly looked back up after checking under the bed. "I know, but I want to be safe. Dad can keep waiting."

Edie walked over and patted Kelly on the back. "I'm ready. Let's just go home."

Kelly nodded. "Okay, sure. I'm not sure if Dad would have cracked a window or not."

"Kelly!" Edie said in a mockingly upset tone.

"Sorry, that was something Noah once said."

The two women began to walk out of the hospital room. Kelly sung a carrier bag over her shoulder. The bag had been used to bring Edie a fresh change of clothes. Edie turned to Kelly as they walked.

"Speaking of, have you heard anything about Noah?"

"No," Kelly said, keeping her gaze towards the elevators. "I haven't been watching."

Kelly stepped into the elevator with Edie. Edie looked concerned, her gaze darting around the elevator.

"Kelly, are you sure-"

"Mom, I'm fine," Kelly said. "I need to cut away for a bit and focus on other matters."

Edie was silent, and remained so as the elevator reached the ground floor and the two stepped out. They walked out of the hospital and through the lot until they reached Arnold sitting in Kelly's car. Kelly helped her mother into the passenger seat, then sat in the back. The three began to drive out of the hospital.

"Is everything in the house okay?" Edie asked.

"Yep," Kelly said. "Angie and Christian are looking after the home."

"And how's Ella?"

"She's fine," Arnold said. "She's been reading instead of watching the video."

"Oh, that's good," Edie said. "A child shouldn't be watching that footage."

"I don't think anyone should, but I think we've learned that we're always going to be tempted," Kelly said.

The car fell silent. Edie turned back and saw Kelly sitting in the middle of the backseat. She half-expected to see Kelly back to being five years old, sitting in a car seat and with a Berenstain Bears book in her hand. Instead, there was a fully grown woman who was staring forward with half-empty eyes. Edie glanced down a bit, then back to Kelly.

"Kelly, I-"

"No, mom, it's nothing," Kelly said. "Sorry, I'm just really embarrassed with my behavior this week."

"Kel, don't feel bad," Arnold said, keeping his eyes on the road. "We've all been really lousy this week."

"I know, but I feel the most foolish," she said. "I shouldn't have made such a big deal about watching the stream all on my own. Even if Angie was right that we'd have no other way of knowing exactly what happened to Noah, ignorance might have been better."

"No, I think we have a right to know," Edie said. "It's just hard to watch something so terrifying. We should have all taken turns. You know, watch in shifts."

"In hindsight, that might have worked," Arnold said.

"Yeah, especially since we now know roughly what happened the first few days," Kelly said. "Granted, I wouldn't want to be the one seeing him get shot by that girl."

"Well, no one would want to," Edie said. "But at least he made it out of that okay."

Kelly smiled, then sighed.

"Mom, Dad, what do we do?" Kelly asked.

"Pardon?" Edie asked.

"Now. Do we do the shift thing, or do we just refuse to watch?"

"I don't know," Edie said. "I'd rather not watch though. The little bit I saw was enough."

"I'll watch it," Arnold said.

"Honey," Edie began.

"No, it's fine," Arnold said. "I owe it to Kelly to help her out instead of retreating, and I owe it to Noah to show I care about him at the end."

"Dad, he knows you care about him. Why wouldn't he think that?"

"Yes, dear," Edie said, looking at Arnold. "Why wouldn't he?"

"Oh, um," Arnold stuttered. "I think he does, but I just figure it'd be best to watch."

Arnold glanced over. They had been driving for a few minutes and were now pulling back into their neighborhood.

"Look, we're almost home," he said. "Why don't we talk to Christian and Angie and come to a consensus? We know Angie has been watching, so maybe she'll help."

"Angie's been watching?" Kelly asked.

"You didn't see the video Ella posted?"

"No."

"Oh, well, yeah, she has," Arnold said. "On her phone when no one was around."

Kelly frowned a bit. Arnold tapped his fingers on the steering wheel. He perked up a bit when he saw the MacIntyre house.

"There we are," he said, pulling into the driveway. "Edie, how are you feeling?"

"Oh, I'm fine, dear," she said. "I think I could use a cold drink."

"Okay, I'll fix you something when we get in."

The three began to exit the car. Kelly grabbed the carrier bag for Edie and slung it over her shoulder. The three of them began to walk to the front door.

"A cold drink would be great," Kelly said. "You may want to take a nap as well. I can fix dinner."

"Oh, Kel," Edie said. "I'll be fine. I just-"

As the three approached the door, they all went silent when they heard the sound of something smashing.

"Christian?" Kelly asked.

Arnold pushed past Kelly and went up to the door. He shoved the key in the keyhole and turned it, pushing it open.

"What's going on?" Arnold said.

He froze in place. Kelly and Edie walked in after him. In the living room, on the floor, was Christian. He was clutching the side of his face, blood starting to drip down his head. Broken shards of glass littered the floor around him. Standing above him was Angie, her face turning red and her eyes watering. She was starting to pant, and her fists were curled by her side. In the corner seat was Ella, who was covering her mouth and sitting quietly.

"Angie!" Kelly shouted. "What the hell are you doing?"

Kelly moved into the room and knelt by her ex-husband, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"You son of a bitch," Angie muttered.

"Oh my god," Edie said.

"Edie, get a towel," Arnold said to her.

Edie ran back through the dining room and to the kitchen. Arnold stepped into the room.

"Chris, what happened?" Arnold asked.

"She hit me in the face with a glass!" Christian yelled.

"Angie, how could you-" Kelly began.

"How could I?" Angie yelled. "How could you?!?"

Angie stared at Kelly. Kelly felt her stomach start to sink as she met the frightening stare of the woman before her. Maybe being locked in her room was a lot preferable to being outside it after all.
[+] spoiler
Nadia Riva

Noah Whitley

Alba Reyes
[+] spoiler

Armed with a lead pipe.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Laurels
Mr. Danya

April 7th, 2017, 4:13 am #20

June 6, 2015, mid-afternoon

Ella sat in a chair in the corner of the living room, her legs crossed and her head down. In her hands was a copy of A Wrinkle in Time. It looked to be a fairly old edition, the pages slightly browned and brittle. It must have been in the house for a while, possibly read by Kelly and Noah when they were children. Ella flipped to the next page. Reading here was much more enjoyable than sitting in Noah's room browsing the internet. She had gotten her fill of the negative responses and reactions people had to Noah and the other abducted students. She wanted something a little more peaceful.

Unfortunately, she wouldn't get that.

As Ella tried to sit in the chair and read her book, she could start to hear the sounds of her parents talking in the kitchen. Noah's mom and grandparents weren't home yet, but her mom was in the kitchen reading a magazine. Ella heard the sound of the back door open, followed by the sounds of her father walking in.

"Hey, Angie, did Arnold or Kelly say what we were doing for dinner tonight?"

"No idea."

"Do you think we should pick something up or-"

"I don't know. Wait until they get home."

"Ang, are you okay?"

"I'm not in the mood."

"For dinner or-"

"To talk. Obviously."

"Ang, you can't stay mad at me-"

"Chris, not now."

"Angie!"

"No, I'm already annoyed that Edie collapsed and that you and Kelly were nowhere to be found. She could have died, and you guys were god-knows-where."

"Look, I turned my ringer off so we wouldn't be distracted."

"That wasn't a smart idea."

"Well, what? Was I supposed to expect you to call me?"

"That's not-"

"No, really. Tell me what's bothering you? Was it that I had my ringer off, or was it that I was with Kelly?"

"Chris-"

"You know what? I don't want to deal with this now."

Ella could hear her father start to walk towards the living room and her mother start to get up from the kitchen table. She started to curl up a little further in her chair. She was about to walk towards the stairs when she heard the voices get closer. As Christian walked in, followed shortly by Angie, Ella remained in her seat, trying to remain as quiet as possible so they didn't notice.

"Christian, hold on," Angie said, her hand clutched around a glass of ice water.

"No. You know what, Angie? I'm so sick of you acting like you can micromanage me. I mean, you told me to get Kelly back no matter what, so yeah, I spent a little longer with her than planned."

"Oh!" Angie exclaimed, flailing her arms to the side. "I'm sorry, I must have missed that, cause I never sent you a text."

"Believe me, I got a text. It's why I allowed myself to drink with my ex."

"You were drinking?"

"Nothing alcoholic."

"But was there alcohol."

"For her."

Ella closed the book and held it tight to her. Neither Angie nor Christian seemed to realize she was there.

"Did you have anything to drink? Ella said you smelled weird last night. Was that alcohol?"

"No, I didn't drink. I was sober with everything I did last night."

"So what did you do?"

"We just talked. We went to her room and talked."

"Was that really all you did?"

"Yes!" Christian shouted. "God, what are you implying?"

"Oh, sure. You get a chick drunk and take her back to her hotel room to 'talk'," Angie said, doing air quotes for "talk." "Tell me, was this just like when you fucked that woman you were working with. Was it just another 'heat of the moment' thing?"

"Ang!"

"No, be candid, Christian. When you were 'talking' to Kelly, did that lead to her going down on your dick? I mean, it was where you guys had your honeymoon."

"Angie, is that really water in your glass?"

"Shut up! I'm not the one with a problem here!"

"No, you've got a problem alright," Christian said. "You're upset you can't micromanage this situation like everything else in your life. My son gets abducted, and you want to turn this into Kramer vs. Kramer."

"That's a movie about a divorce."

"Oh, and I'm sure that's where this is heading."

Angie's eyes widened and her mouth pursed. "You can't be serious."

"Why not?!?" Christian asked, his face red. "I'm a horrible asshole who drinks and smokes and makes out with his ex during a horrible time in his life! I'm such a dick that I have to be judged harshly for my actions while my wife gets to lie about watching the streams to everyone. My son could be dead and you want to play Morality Police while doing absolutely nothing to make anyone feel better. You just want to act like you can make everyone feel better. Well, unlike you these last two months, at least Kelly had the decency to to fuck me! So-"

Christian's rant was silenced when he felt a glass object hit him in the face. He cried out, stumbled back, and fell to the floor. He let out a cry and touched his face. His hand was warm with blood. He was sure there was glass embedded in his skin, and his couldn't bring himself to open his left eye. He looked up as Angie moved closer to him. He looked up at his wife, her face red as an apple and her eyes as wide as saucers.

Ella remained frozen in her chair, her hands covering her mouth. The book had fallen into her lap. It was then that the front door swung open. Arnold, Kelly, and Edie were back in the house. She remained frozen in place as the adults began to move around.

"What's going on?"

"Angie! What the hell are you doing?"

"You son of a bitch."

"Oh my god."

"Edie, get a towel."

"Chris, what happened?"

"She hit me in the face with a glass!"

"Angie, how could you-"

"How could I? How could you?!?"

Ella remained in place as Edie entered from the kitchen. She gingerly walked into the room and handed a washcloth to Kelly, who pressed it to Christian's face. Edie stepped to the side nearest the fireplace.

"What are you talking about?" Kelly asked.

"You...you fucking white trash skank..." Angie began. "Your son gets kidnapped and you use that as an excuse to get pity sex from my husband."

"What?" Edie asked.

"Kelly?" Arnold said.

Kelly started to speak, but then looked down to Christian. Christian took the cloth from her and pressed it to his face. Kelly breathed in, and stood up.

"Yes, I did," Kelly said, staring intensely at Angie.

Angie began to move towards Kelly, but Arnold quickly appeared. He put himself between the two women, keeping his hand outstretched towards Angie.

"Move," Angie hissed.

"No. You're not doing that here," Arnold insisted.

Angie tried to push past him, but Arnold held out both hands, grabbing Angie by the shoulders and pushed her back. He kept a tight grip on her.

"For god's sake, woman!" Arnold shouted. "Not in front of Ella!"

Angie turned and saw Ella sitting in the corner. Her face was pale, and her eyes were starting to water. Edie gasped at the sight of Ella.

"Ella, let's go," Edie said, walking over to Ella.

"No!" Angie shouted, causing Edie to freeze in place.

Edie looked to Angie, dumbfounded.

"Stay away from her," Angie shouted.

"Excuse me?" Edie asked.

"Let her stay!" Angie exclaimed. "Why the fuck not? We're all a family and we all love each other. Might as well let her see it all!"

Arnold motioned his head towards Ella, and Edie began to move towards her.

"Ella, let's go," Edie said, reaching out to Ella.

"Don't touch her!" Angie yelled.

Angie turned to go after Edie, but Arnold held onto her tight.

"Don't you dare!" he shouted. "Don't you dare!"

Arnold grabbed Angie and pulled her away. He then pushed her so she fell back and landed on the couch. Arnold stood in front of her.

"If you get off that couch and go anywhere near that child, I will call the police!" Arnold shouted.

"Go ahead!" Angie yelled. "My phone's in the kitchen!"

Edie turned back to Ella, but Ella had already jumped out of the chair and ran into the kitchen. Edie held her hand over her chest.

"Ella, don't really call them!" Edie shouted.

Ella stopped at the kitchen table and remained frozen. She began to breathe in and out, covering her face with her hand. Tears were starting to fall down her cheeks.

"Please, let's just all calm down," Edie said. "We don't need to call the cops."

Edie sat down in the chair Ella was sitting in. She moved the book to the side.

"Angie, please," Edie said. "Don't do this."

"Oh, be quiet," Angie hissed at Edie.

"Hey, don't talk to my wife like that!" Arnold said.

"Dad, let me take this," Kelly said, stepping by her father.

Kelly stared at Angie. Angie was fuming, and Kelly made a firm stance.

"Yes, I had sex with Christian-"

Kelly could hear both her parents let out sounds.

"But! I know it was a mistake! Yes, I crossed the line. Yes, I've done that more than once. But I know I'm doing bad things. I know I'm causing Christian to betray his marriage. I know I shouldn't be locking myself in my room watching the streams. But what else should I do?!?"

Angie stood up. Arnold got between the two of them, quickly pushing the coffee table out of the way.

"Oh, and that makes it okay?" Angie asked. "That makes it okay for you to ruin everything?"

"She didn't ruin anything!" Christian shouted, pressing the darkening cloth to his face.

"Christian, are you-" Edie began.

"I'm fine," he said. "I need to get something straight."

Christian turned to his wife.

"Look, I was the one who let Kelly continue to kiss me. I was the one who initiated sex. You think I like constantly falling into the same vices over and over again?"

"I'm sure you do!" Angie said. "Cause clearly, nothing matters to you!"

"Nothing?!?" Christian shouted. "You think nothing matters to me?!? How about the fact that I've been dealing with the same shit over and over since I was a teenager? How about the fact that I've been in and out of treatment? That I've alienated my parents? That I ruined my first marriage? That I missed the first half of my son's life? That every attempt I make to better myself always falls apart?"

Even though his face was stained with blood, his face started to get redder and redder.

"Do you think I like being this way, Angela? Do you think I want to continue being such a fuck-up? Do you think I'm proud of making these choices?"

"But you keep making them!" Angie said. "You promised me you'd never cheat on me again after Rebecca. You swore on our unborn daughter that you'd be faithful. Do you know how it's been knowing that the life we had built together, the one we made for Ella's sake, could be unraveled at any second? Do you know how stressed that has made me?"

Angie pointed a finger at Christian.

"I've worked my ass off to build a good home for us. I settled for working from home if it meant that I could be there for Ella. I made sure to be friends with your son so that he could continue to stay in our lives. I have done so much for you and sacrificed so much, and it clearly meant nothing to you. You looked Kelly dead in the eyes and made it clear that shoving your prick into her mattered to you more than trying to do right by everyone in this house."

Tears were starting to fall down Angie's cheeks.

"You've made it clear where you stand, Christian, and clearly, it's balls deep in Kelly's pussy."

Arnold turned towards Angie. "Okay, that's enough of that talk."

"Dad, it's fine!" Kelly shouted. "Angie can say whatever she wants about me. I'm a grown woman, I can take it."

"Oh, really?" Angie asked. "Because clearly when things go south for you, you run and hide."

"Hey, I volunteered to watch the streams," Kelly said. "I agreed to subject myself to the horrors of Survival of the Fittest because you decided to open that box. I decided that I would be the strong one and burden the responsibility of seeing my son's fate. But you know what, I bet you just wanted to be the tough one.”

“Excuse me?”

“Yeah. Little Miss Angie, tech wiz and bouncing beauty, wanted to be the tough one and watch the streams. She wanted to control everything and would control our knowledge of Noah. Tell me, was that the reason you snuck peeks on your phone? Because you wanted to know more than Christian or mom?”

“Of course not!” Angie shouted. “I wanted to know if he was okay.”

“But you wanted that power, didn’t you?” Kelly asked. “You wanted to know about what was happening, but you wanted the pleasure of knowing that no one knew you knew. Tell me, what would you do with this? Bond with me? Drop the truth when it most benefited you?

“Shut the fuck up!” Angie shouted, stepping close.

Arnold put a hand on Angie’s shoulder, pushing her back.

“Face it, Angie,” Kelly said. “You wanted to be the idol of this house, but you wanted none of the burden. You wanted to be the strong one, but you didn’t want to actually do anything to earn it. You wanted to be able to judge us all and look down on us because you knew so much more than we did.”

“Kelly, that’s enough,” Arnold said.

“Kelly, please, don’t antagonize her,” Edie pleaded.

“No, it’s cool, Edie,” Angie said. “She’s already done that enough, so why can’t she throw more accusations at me? I bet it’s the sort of cheap psychology she studied at that shitty bar she works at. Or maybe that’s the result of a shitty upbringing.”

“Okay! That’s enough!” Arnold shouted.

Everyone in the room fell silent. Arnold pointed at Angie.

“Angie, you have every right to be mad, but don’t you dare insult me or my wife.”

“Oh, like you’re some paragon of virtue,” Angie said to Arnold. “I have an idea. Since we’re all being honest, how about you?”

“Excuse me?”

“Yeah, Arnie. You seemed to do something that really upset Edie and Ella. I mean, Ella wouldn’t have said you were hiding something in that video if she didn’t know what it was. So please, enlighten the crowd. What are you hiding?"

Arnold was silent. Edie covered her mouth.

"I..." Arnold began.

"I what?" Angie asked. "Come on."

Angie held a finger out and pushed it against Arnold's chest.

"It clearly made your wife mad if it got you kicked out of her room the other night. Don't tell me your marriage is rocky too."

"Angie!" Kelly shouted.

"Ang, leave them out of this," Christian shouted.

"Oh, no way in hell," Angie said. "This house is a fucking oven of repressed emotions and pent-up rage. How about Ole' Arnie share too since he's fucked around with everyone."

"My issue has nothing to do with you," Arnold said to Angie. "So don't accuse me of anything you don't get."

"Arnold, just tell them," Edie said.

The four turned to Edie. She was now resting her head against her hand.

"Edie..."

"It's all going to hell," she said. "Might as well add kindling to the flames."

"Dad," Kelly said, her voice becoming more and more frightened, "what's going on?"

Arnold closed his eyes, and clenched his fists.

"I...told your mother...and Ella...something about Noah."

"Noah?" Christian asked.

"Wait, what?" Angie asked.

"Noah, what do you mean?" Kelly asked. "Did he say something to you or-"

"No, it's not that," Arnold said. "The truth is...I...I never, exactly, came to terms with Noah being gay."

Instantly, Kelly, Angie, and Christian all let out groans and cries of shock.

"What do you mean?" Kelly asked.

"It's exactly that," Edie said. "Noah's gay, and he doesn't love him."

"Of course I love him!" Arnold shouted. "He's my little man. He's the only grandson I'll ever have and the closest thing I'll ever have to a son. I've loved him since I first held him, since he first started living here, since he learned to ride a bike, since he first went to school, since the minute I learned I was going to be a grandpa."

Arnold turned his head down.

"I just couldn't handle knowing he was that different."

Angie shook her head and sat down on the couch. "Unbelievable," she muttered to herself.

"You never accepted Noah for being gay?" Christian asked.

"It wasn't just the gay thing," Arnold said. "It was the dresses and the wigs and the makeup. I was fine with him being a comedian and taking those dance classes, but that was just all too much for me."

"Dad..." Kelly said. "Look at me."

Arnold lifted his head up and saw Kelly looking him dead in the eyes. Her eyes were starting to water.

"Are you seriously telling me that you never truly accepted Noah for who he is? Not once since he came out?"

Arnold wanted to speak, but couldn't. He merely hung his head in shame. Kelly rubbed her forehead and let out a whimper.

"So, when you said you were proud of him..." Kelly started.

"Kelly, don't. I already let him have it the other day," Edie said.

Kelly looked at her mom. Edie was starting to cry, and rubbed her eyes with her hand.

"Arnold's a liar. You're a liar. Christian and Angie are liars. We're all going to hell, so let's stop this nonsense," Edie said.

"Mom-"

"No, I mean it. Who cares anymore?"

Edie looked at the four in the room.

"How can we ever act like anything's going to be okay?"

Edie stood up from her seat and began to walk into the room. "We're never going to be okay. Those horrid people took our Noah and now all this has come to light. Arnold's been lying to Noah for years, Christian and Angie are toxic, and you, Kelly, are lost. And you know what? I don't know if I can take it anymore."

Edie lowered her head and began to shake it.

"I can't accept that this is my home. I can't accept that this is my family. We've all gone through so much and we're all such a mess. How could I never see that this was all building up? How could I never notice my husband was a homophobe? How could I not see that my daughter was dependent on her relationship with her son?"

Kelly reached out to Edie. "Mom, please."

"How could I let this house fall apart?" Edie interrupted, causing Kelly to stop. "Was that why I was left this home? My entire family dies and this is what I'm left with? Is this how I'm to suffer like my parents and my brothers?"

Edie began to pant. "Was I supposed to see the rest of the MacIntyres implode before I died? Was that always what was supposed to happen to me?"

The room fell silent. Arnold moved over to Edie, reaching out to hug her.

"Edith, please don't-"

Edie swung her arms up, knocking Arnold's back.

"Just stop!" she shouted. "Stop acting like it'll all be okay! If I had known this was how it was all going to be, maybe it would have been better if I died yesterday!"

Instantly, everyone in the room began to speak up.

"Whoa!" Angie shouted.

"Edie, wait!" Christian yelled.

"Mom!"

"Honey!"

"Why not?" Edie said. "Everything has gone to hell, so why not? It's not like any of you would really give a damn since you're all so messed up that you'd all rather focus on your own issues than try to help one another."

Edie began to weep. "Why should I have to watch everyone tear themselves apart?"

Edie continued to weep. Arnold moved in and hugged her. This time, she didn't resist.

"Edie, I'm so sorry," Arnold said. "I should have given Noah a chance. I should have watched his videos or seen his shows. Believe me, I'd rather he be back here right now than on some island somewhere. I'd rather he be here wearing sequins and feathers and making genitalia jokes than anything right now."

"Me too," Edie said. "I wish he was here right now."

Edie continued to cry into Arnold's chest. Kelly put a hand on her mother's back and patted it. Angie looked down and bit her lip. Christian removed the wash cloth from his face, looking at the bloodstains on it.

"I think I should go to the hospital," he weakly said.

"Okay," Angie said. "I'll take you. Kelly, could you please watch after Ella?"

"Of course," Kelly said, her gaze away from Angie's.

Angie remained in place, then shook her head.

"God, we're all so fucked," she muttered.

Christian walked over and patted Angie on the shoulder. "I know. And I'm sorry."

Angie looked at her husband. He no longer looked mad or bitter. He looked defeated, as he kept the cloth to his face and tears streaked down from his clear side.

"No, I'm sorry," Angie said. "God, I threw a glass at your face. If we were divorcing, I could lose Ella for that."

"It's fine," Christian said. "I deserved it."

"Don't say that," Angie said. "Please, don't."

Angie then noticed something moving in the corner of her eye. She turned and saw Ella standing in the entrance to the kitchen. She was holding Angie's phone in one hand, and crying.

"Ella?" Angie said. "I'm sorry about that."

Angie stepped past Kelly, Edie, and Arnold and towards her daughter.

"We were really immature, and we're all sorry for how we acted. We're going to quickly go to the hospital and when we get back-"

"Noah's dead," Ella said.

Just like that, everything in the house went silent. Christian covered his mouth with his other hand. Kelly looked over at Ella, stepping away from her parents. Arnold and Edie remained embraced, but turned to Ella.

"W...what?" Kelly choked out.

Ella sniffled.

"You got a message," Ella said to her mom. "While Mrs. MacIntyre was talking, you started to get a bunch of messages from Noah's Twitter. I had to check and..."

Ella held the phone out towards the adults. Angie reached for it, but was suddenly pushed back. Kelly had moved over and snatched the phone from Ella's hand. She looked at the screen, as Angie moved to her side. Ella had pulled up a webpage detailing the events of Survival of the Fittest, one that regularly updated with each death. The screen was enlarged, and on it, read a single sentence:

Noah Whitley: Stabbed to death by Isabel Ramirez

Kelly stared at the page, her breathing starting to increase. Angie stared at it, her eyes starting to water.

"I-is it true?" Christian stammered. "Is he..."

Angie turned back to her husband, tears starting to fall down her face. She nodded silently. Christian let out a gasp, then moved over to the couch and sat down, burying his face in his hands. Edie clutched Arnold tighter, her breaths having difficulty leaving her mouth. Arnold clutched Edie as tight, and put a hand on the back of her head.

Kelly stared at the page, the phone starting to shake in her hands. She finally dropped the phone and let out a scream. She fell to her knees and started to bawl. Seeing the woman on the floor, Angie sunk to her knees and put her arms around Kelly, pulling the sobbing woman close to her chest. Kelly let out another scream and continued to sob, clutching Angie's shirt so hard she started to dig her nails into Angie's chest. Angie didn't care, and started to weep too.

After that, there was no more talking in the house. There were no more accusations and criticisms, nor were there any pleas or demands. There was only grief, and six people who gave into it.
[+] spoiler
Nadia Riva

Noah Whitley

Alba Reyes
[+] spoiler

Armed with a lead pipe.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

Rachael Langdon

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler

Claire Monaghan
[+] spoiler