Yet Another Night

MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro
MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro

March 10th, 2011, 2:50 am #1

((Karen Ruiz continued from A Walk to Fear))

It had been a week since the incident, but Karen was still a little shaken. It had all been harmless, in the end. She knew this on an intellectual level. She had probably never been in any real danger. She was probably totally safe walking around the city.

It wasn't good enough. After soccer practice, Karen had called her father and asked to be picked up. She didn't ask for much. Of course he'd agreed. Problem was, he didn't get off work for a while yet. It was dark now. The team had run an hour overtime, hence her need for the ride, and she'd been on campus for another hour since practice. She wasn't sure if anyone else was around. Probably.

It didn't matter much. She was sitting on a bench in front of the school. She was almost done with her book. It was grim, depressing, unrelentingly bleak. She was taking a break, just looking around at the night sky. There were stars up there, somewhere, but the city smog and the incoming weather hid them from view. Karen shivered a little. She was wearing her coat over her soccer uniform, which was just a t-shirt and shorts. Putting on her normal clothes would just mean more laundry. Practice had been a real workout today.

She sighed, stretched a little, and adjusted into a more comfortable position. Just another hour or so to wait. No big deal. Better than wandering through town on her own again. It'd be a few weeks before she felt safe enough for that sort of thing.

So she just sat on the bench, waiting. Maybe she'd go back to her book later. Maybe not.
Current characters:

The Program: V3 Prologue:
Mina Mashall - Digital Voice Recorder - Making a good impression - "I didn't know you felt so strongly about me."
Erik Bell - Jericho .941 - Having lunch - "May I?"

SECOND CHANCES: V2:
Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
EW4: Jewel Evans - Chatterbox Communicator Headsets (0/5) - Online - ELIMINATED - "Scars are just reminders to be better next time."
[+] Spoiler
The Program V1:
M06: Karl Chalmers - American Flag - The Mess Hall - DECEASED
F09: Nichole "Nikki" Campbell - 6 Pack of Beer (0/6) - Open Ground - DECEASED

The Program V2:
M08: Alexander Bonham - Steel Folding Chair - The Pine Stands - DECEASED
F20: Robin Pounds - Stress Ball - Mountain Track - DECEASED

SOTF-TV V1:
PRP3: Karen Ruiz - Glock 17 (0/17 +1 bullet), WASP Knife, Swordcane - Over and out - ELIMINATED - "I don't find pointless death funny."
W02: Renée Carlson - Straight Razor - The Resort Beach - DECEASED

SOTF-TV V2:
SS4: Austin White - Gold Retractable Spyglass - The World Oyster - DECEASED

Second Chances V1:
G16: Nicole Husher (thanks to TBH!) - Colt Single Action Army - The Makeshift Hospital - DECEASED

Second Chances V2:
B12: Richard Ormsby - x4 Flashbang Grenades - The Ravine - DECEASED
B22: William Lohman - Winchester Model 1897 - The Ravine - DECEASED

BR AU:
B15: Shuya Nanahara - No Weapon - The School Building - DECEASED
B20: Kyoichi Motobuchi - Bulletproof Vest - Tourist Association - DECEASED
G01: Mizuho Inada - Grenades (0/2) - Clinic - DECEASED

SOTF Evolution:
Subject C01: Samantha Reynolds - Facial Morphing - The Cove - ELIMINATED

VIRTUA SOTF:
M11: Richard Ormsby - Cowbell - The Corssroads Bridge - GAME OVER
M22: William Lohman - Hockey Stick - The Corssroads Bridge - GAME OVER
If you want an honest assessment of your character's storyline, feel free to PM me and I'll whip one up as soon as I am able.

Thanks to Bear/Frogue/Kotorikun/Ryuki for the avatar art.

Iceblock
Veteran

March 12th, 2011, 6:11 am #2

((Katherine "Kathy" Clements, Pre-game START and all that junk))

Kathy put her hands in the pockets of her jeans as she walked casually through the school. Some of the lights were still on inside; the band teacher would probably turn them off soon enough, or maybe there was a custodian still hanging around the school, twitching fingers ready to shut off those lights.

She was a little later than usual to leave, though she wasn't going to admit that that was because she had been busy chatting to her fellow flautists after the rehearsal. For all Kathy knew, they were still talking; she had made some lame excuse about homework. Geez, homework... She sighed. Most of the time, the homework felt like busy work, except for her math homework, which sometimes kept her up until long after the sun had set. Most of the time, they didn't even turn in the work, because too many people slacked off and neglected to do it. The teachers usually didn't have much choice but to go along with it.

"Nothing against them, I guess," Kathy said to herself. "It isn't as if you're being punished for their tardiness..." It was annoying sometimes, though; she could have gotten way more sleep this year if she had known when they weren't going to be turning in homework.

Why was she thinking about homework, anyway? Extricating one of her arms from her backpack's grasp, she unzipped it and rummaged inside, pulling out her red notebook. A small smiley face sticker winked at her from the upper left hand corner.

After obtaining a pencil, Kathy flipped the notebook open... and immediately crashed into the front door of the school. Her feet had been walking all this time, she mused as she rubbed her arm ruefully; she should have paid more attention to where she was going.

Gingerly, she nudged the front door open with her foot, not bothering to put down her notebook to free her hands.

She was outside, the cold night air making her shiver through her T-shirt, unprotected arms notwithstanding. There was a girl on one of the benches nearby, Kathy noticed. She could feel her cell phone in her jeans pocket - no need to get that out, she had already called home a few minutes ago. No response. Her mother probably wouldn't be home for a while, then; Abby was coming home to visit from college, and the ride was a long one, though they should have arrived ten minutes ago or so. Her father was at work, so he wouldn't pick her up anyway. Kathy would just call again in a few minutes. Hopefully she wouldn't even have to... her mom knew where she was. She'd come pick her up.

The point was, Kathy had time to kill. She headed over to where the other girl sat, shoes scuffing on the concrete. She didn't really know her, but she figured it was something to do.

"Hey there. You waiting for someone too?"
This signature intentionally left blank.

Program V3 Prologue:
Sylvia Veneski -- F32 -- Clothes Hanger -- Alive -- Someday We Won't Remember This
[+] Spoiler
SOTF TV:
Katherine "Kathy" Clements -- ORA5 -- Swordcane -- Deceased -- Last Page

Virtua-SOTF:
Samuel Wilson -- M02 -- Bottle of Maple Syrup -- Deceased -- Swan Song

Program V2:
Audrey McKee -- F11 -- Weighted Leather Glove -- Alive -- Semper Fi

SOTF TV V2:
Caroline Leveson -- BB2 -- Fire Iron -- Deceased -- It's Bad. We're Hit, Man, We Are Hit

MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro
MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro

March 12th, 2011, 7:26 am #3

Night in the city. It could actually be peaceful. If Karen looked at things just right, let her eyes get a little relaxed, the whole world just blurred into lights and shadows, shapes and spaces. Beautiful. Otherworldly, almost. Maybe somewhere there were cities like this, cities of light and happiness. Sure wasn't Detroit. Wasn't anywhere Karen would ever get to see. She sighed. Focused her vision. Less depressing that way.

There was a noise behind her. She couldn't tell quite what, maybe a thump or a footstep. She tensed, then forced herself to relax. There'd be people around. She was on school grounds. No one would mess with her. No one would even want to come near her. She was boring. Normal. Bland. Part of the scenery. She was the person you skipped over when you swept the area with your gaze, the one who could give you a terrible start just by saying hi, since you didn't notice her, but that was something you'd never have to worry about because she'd never break the silence.

She was wrong.

Someone noticed her.

Someone talked to her, from fairly close by.

She didn't jump, just tensed a bit again. Paused. Replayed the words in her head, as she glanced at the other girl, assessing her. Short. Blond haired, blue eyed. White girl. Not wearing anything noticeable or exciting or scandalous. Not one of those super beauties that ran around sometimes. Just kind of average. Karen liked average people better. They were the ones who seemed most real. They were the ones who knew that sometimes you just had to let other people alone.

But she wasn't feeling belligerent or threatened, so she just exhaled softly and then answered the girl's question.

"Yeah."
Current characters:

Mina Mashall - Digital Voice Recorder - Making a good impression - "I didn't know you felt so strongly about me."

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
EW4: Jewel Evans - Chatterbox Communicator Headsets (0/5) - Online - ELIMINATED - "Scars are just reminders to be better next time."
[+] Spoiler
The Program V1:

The Program V2:

SOTF-TV V1:
PRP3: Karen Ruiz - Glock 17 (0/17 +1 bullet), WASP Knife, Swordcane - Over and out - ELIMINATED - "I don't find pointless death funny."

SOTF-TV V2:

Second Chances V1:
G16: Nicole Husher (thanks to TBH!) - Colt Single Action Army - The Makeshift Hospital - DECEASED

Second Chances V2:

BR AU:

SOTF Evolution:

VIRTUA SOTF:
If you want an honest assessment of your character's storyline, feel free to PM me and I'll whip one up as soon as I am able.

Iceblock
Veteran

March 12th, 2011, 11:14 pm #4

The girl looked back at her. Kathy thought maybe she caught a glimpse of... was it surprise? She could never tell people's expressions very well, especially when they flashed by like that. Or was it... was the girl sizing her up? Maybe both?

Kathy didn't have time to ponder it further though, because the girl evidently decided she wasn't a threat, and responded to the question fairly amiably, if laconically.

She didn't know exactly what to say next. Something about the weather? The weather was always the same. Forecast: smog. While she was still in the throes of indecision, her mouth curved into a small smile. She could at least appear friendly.

Oh, introductions! That was it!

"I'm Kathy. Kathy Clements. Um..." She paused. Should she ask for the girl's name as well? "Do you mind if I sit down?"

Never mind. The girl would offer her name if she wanted to.

Program V3 Prologue:
Sylvia Veneski -- F32 -- Clothes Hanger -- Alive -- Someday We Won't Remember This
[+] Spoiler
SOTF TV:

Virtua-SOTF:

Program V2:

SOTF TV V2:
Caroline Leveson -- BB2 -- Fire Iron -- Deceased -- It's Bad. We're Hit, Man, We Are Hit

MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro
MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro

March 13th, 2011, 7:34 am #5

The other girl was Kathy Clements. The name meant nothing to Karen. Most of them didn't. She knew a few people by name, the real strange ones, like Odile whatever. More, she could tell by face, by posture and demeanor. Those were the jocks, the bullies, some of the wannabe gangsters. Kathy wasn't anyone Karen had cause to know, though. Unless something strange happened tonight, odds were she wouldn't know the girl again in another month.

Kathy waited for a second. Probably waiting for Karen to supply her own name. That wouldn't be good, though. There was a chance Kathy had heard about the incident. Better to dodge it at the risk of mild rudeness, especially if they were both going to be here a while.

So she just said, "No."

Looked like she had some company for the wait. Karen hoped Kathy was cool with silence, or, otherwise, was fine taking the lead in conversations.
Current characters:

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
[+] Spoiler
The Program V1:

The Program V2:

SOTF-TV V1:

SOTF-TV V2:

Second Chances V1:

Second Chances V2:

BR AU:

SOTF Evolution:

VIRTUA SOTF:

Iceblock
Veteran

March 13th, 2011, 8:03 am #6

Kathy perched herself at the other end of the bench. The other girl hadn't supplied a name - Kathy briefly considered the possibility that the girl was only politely humoring her and wanted to be alone. Then again, she could have rejected Kathy's request to sit with a simple yes, with no more effort than the no she had given instead.

She decided that the other girl was just quiet. Quiet, but friendly enough. Good enough for company for a long wait.

Her notebook was still in her right hand, and so was the pencil. Somehow, the pencil had shifted hands. She had been pretty sure that it had been in her left hand when she crashed into the front doors... but it didn't really matter, anyway. She was getting lost in thought again, like her friends always scolded her about during important discussions. Kathy flipped the notebook open, shuffling through a few pages of sketches and long blocks of text.

Character biographies... My pictures... Oh, there's that picture of the boat I was going to put into the book. I'll insert it when I get home, completely forgot about that! The keel could probably use more touching up, though, not that it'll matter when I write it up.

Kathy set the opened notebook on her knees, rubbing her arms with her hands briefly in a futile attempt to ward off the nighttime chill. Setting her hands back on the notebook, she cast a sideways glance at the other girl's face. "Do you like books? ...I mean, I'm writing one."

Program V3 Prologue:
[+] Spoiler
SOTF TV:

Virtua-SOTF:

Program V2:

SOTF TV V2:

MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro
MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro

March 13th, 2011, 8:16 am #7

Kathy sat down, taking the other end of the bench, leaving Karen enough space to feel comfortable. Good. She didn't like when girls got into each other's space. It was one of those strange power games they played with each other. It always made Karen feel like sinking into the floor. She envied guys somewhat; their fear of being perceived as homosexual usually kept them safe from physical contact.

Kathy started flipping through a notebook. A journal? Sketchpad? School work? Karen didn't care overly much, though her interest was mildly piqued. People who kept notebooks with them all the time were weird. Usually deep thinkers, or wanted to be.

The girl made some movements. Seemed cold. Karen was a bit chilled too, and she had a coat on. She didn't comment, though. So many people felt the need to make observations about the environment, just because they were afraid of silence. Karen liked the quiet. She appreciated that Kathy didn't feel the need to break it for something pointless.

Of course, it was broken eventually. Kathy asked if Karen like books, immediately explaining that she was writing one. Good. Karen could play that hand. She knew exactly how to push the onus of interaction entirely off her, now. Better, it was what Kathy wanted. It was what most people wanted, the chance to talk about their hobbies and interests. A good listener was a rarity; most of the time people were just waiting their own turns to speak.

"I do," Karen said. "What are you writing about?"

Of course, she pretty much didn't care, but Kathy wanted to share, and she didn't want to talk, so this was the optimal solution for everyone involved.
Current characters:

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
[+] Spoiler
The Program V1:

The Program V2:

SOTF-TV V1:

SOTF-TV V2:

Second Chances V1:

Second Chances V2:

BR AU:

SOTF Evolution:

VIRTUA SOTF:

Iceblock
Veteran

March 13th, 2011, 7:56 pm #8

"Really? You want to hear about it?" Kathy was somewhat surprised. It wasn't as if she didn't talk about her book to her friends, or, well, strangers. But no one usually asked what the book was about. Questions were more often along the line of "Hey, can you put me in it?" or "That's cool." Granted, there were some people, but... Kathy got the general impression reading wasn't the biggest of hobbies around Detroit. Her previous question had just been a shot in the dark.

She didn't wait for a second response - it was a little silly of her to ask a question that had already been answered. "Oh, well, then..." She trailed off, quickly attempting to categorize her book into solid words. "It's a fantasy book. I mean, the kind of book that a lot of people write, with the dragons and fairies and all. Mine doesn't have any dragons though, because they're kind of overused." She quickly added, "Nothing against dragons though, or the people that write them. I just don't think I can show them as realistically as they should be."

Kathy glanced over at the other girl again. She hadn't really been looking at her, because benches weren't ideally suited for face-to-face conversation. Was her explanation boring the other girl?

"The story's about a girl. An ordinary girl. Like those farmboy types that always get their houses burnt down, except she doesn't get her house burnt down. And uh, she's not male." Kathy exhaled nervously; for some reason, telling her story to a stranger felt somewhat like sharing a private secret, something that she had kept to herself for a long time. Except for Cass, but she was her sister. That was different. "She's just tired. And I mean, not sleepiness tired, just she doesn't really know what she's doing in life, because all she ever does is sit at home. It's just this little village and there's so much more to the world."

"Wanderlust, I think that's the word. So she gets her best friend and they set off on an adventure, to bigger and better things. She thinks she's prepared but she really isn't, because all she's experienced is the everyday life of her little village." Her throat was getting dry. "A lot of stuff happens, but it all turns out okay in the end. Well, most of it does."

Her fingers were a little tense on the notebook; she hadn't noticed. Kathy relaxed her arms, her notebook coming gently back to rest on her lap. "So, that's the basic idea of it all. It's my first book, so it's probably not ever going to get published. But, uh, what do you think?"

Program V3 Prologue:
[+] Spoiler
SOTF TV:

Virtua-SOTF:

Program V2:

SOTF TV V2:

MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro
MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro

March 14th, 2011, 7:26 am #9

Sure enough, it worked perfectly. Kathy went on and on about her novel. Karen listened politely, not really all that interested, but putting at least a bit of effort into feigning it. Of course Kathy was writing fantasy. New writers always wrote fantasy or loosely-veiled renditions of their own lives. Both of these styles bored Karen. Fantasy was the genre of cop outs, of deus ex machinas and poor mechanics. She read them sometimes, but they were nothing to Asimov or Heinlein.

At least it sounded like Kathy was trying to be different. Maybe not quite getting there, but trying. A female protagonist was a start. There were precious few of those in fiction, at least, compelling ones. Too often, female characters were just excuses to ram some sex appeal into a story. Karen always felt very uncomfortable with that sort of thing.

Wanderlust was a bit cliché, but you couldn't strike gold your first time.

Kathy asked her opinion. This was the part where Karen had to sound more interested and enthusiastic than she was, where she had to say more words than she normally did in whole conversations.

"It sounds interesting," she said. "I like the basis of the characters. I imagine there's lots of potential for growth in the relationship between the protagonist and her friend."

Then Karen blinked a couple of times, considered, and asked a question she probably shouldn't have.

"But why does everything turn out okay?"
Current characters:

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
[+] Spoiler
The Program V1:

The Program V2:

SOTF-TV V1:

SOTF-TV V2:

Second Chances V1:

Second Chances V2:

BR AU:

SOTF Evolution:

VIRTUA SOTF:

Iceblock
Veteran

March 15th, 2011, 12:11 am #10

The other girl said her opinions. The basis of the characters? Potential for growth? Kathy nodded politely, taking in her comments.

And then the girl asked a question of her.

"Oh," Kathy said quietly after the other girl had finished. "Well... That's a good question, isn't it?"

She paused, thinking about the answer that she would have to eventually give. It was a good question. She had just said it was a good question. She didn't know how to answer it.

"I hope you don't mind a long answer..." Kathy finally started. "Writing imitates life, doesn't it? No matter how ridiculous people make it, with magic or flying boats... It patterns life. It has to be realistic, I mean." She should have given her answer more thought, or at least less resemblance to a rambling mess. "And life, well, I guess life doesn't always turn out well. People don't always get what they want, don't always live the lives they want to live."

Kathy hesitated, then made a single gesture around her, at the cement sidewalks, at the school, at the clouded sky. "I guess you might not call this place perfect, either. But there's always a hope. Somebody out there must get a happy ending, sometimes. Someone out there must have died content."

"Besides, isn't there enough tragedy in life? Happy endings aren't for escapism - unless they're unrealistic. It's just celebrating the triumphs that happen sometimes in life, to keep that hope of happiness alive."

She sounded so ridiculously idealistic... She blushed slightly. She didn't even know this stranger and here she was, boring the girl with her ideas of happy endings and life and whatever.

"Of course, uh, I guess if you're just asking about the book, everything turns out okay because the main character manages to do what she wanted to do in the beginning, have adventure and all that stuff..."

Program V3 Prologue:
[+] Spoiler
SOTF TV:

Virtua-SOTF:

Program V2:

SOTF TV V2:

MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro
MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro

March 15th, 2011, 6:49 am #11

Interesting. Kathy actually had a long, well-thought-out answer. That was a bit of a surprise to Karen. She had this idea that most fantasy authors were vapid idealists. Idealist may have been an apt descriptor for Kathy, but brainless she was not. It was funny. She was an escapist, it seemed. She wanted happy endings to overpower the bad things in her life. Karen could go either way with endings. Happy ones were fine, if they weren't forced. Sad ones, well, they made real life bearable by comparison.

Her current book wasn't going to end well. She could already tell that. Its rough premise was that humanity had screwed the planet up beyond any hope of fixing it, and Brunner was the sort of author who would stick to his guns on that premise.

Kathy wrapped up her speech by returning to the specifics of her book. Karen nodded. Funny. It had actually been somewhat interesting in the end. She replied with a simple, "Makes sense."

It was vague, but also something of an invitation to continue. Or to stop. Whichever. Karen wasn't picky. She looked up at the sky again. Nothing new. Nothing amazing out there. Nothing really worth looking at.
Current characters:

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
[+] Spoiler
The Program V1:

The Program V2:

SOTF-TV V1:

SOTF-TV V2:

Second Chances V1:

Second Chances V2:

BR AU:

SOTF Evolution:

VIRTUA SOTF:

Iceblock
Veteran

March 17th, 2011, 3:25 am #12

Apparently she had made sense to the other girl. That was good.

Kathy lapsed into silence, the only sounds around her the distant rush of cars that always pervaded the urban environment. A street light nearby flickered and buzzed, evidently not one of the ones defunct due to neglect or vandalism.

She briefly wondered where her mother was; she was probably almost home, with Abby. Soon, they'd come and pick Kathy up. Abby had always been a bit of a partier, but they had trusted her to control herself in college. Kathy's parents were firm believers of the hands-off approach, at least when it came to Abby, a doctrine they had established after years of teenage drama and accusations of hovering. As long as she got good grades, they wouldn't bother Abby with any complaints about her behavior. Well, except for the whole "boyfriend" issue, but that was to be expected from parents.

Kathy got good grades; she reckoned her parents wouldn't change their parenting style anytime soon. It didn't particularly matter, she supposed. She wasn't a big partier herself, and she definitely wasn't as popular.

The point was, perhaps Abby was a little delayed by a party, and that was why her mother was late in picking her up. She'd have to tease Abby about it later, if that was the truth - all in good fun, of course. Probably some boy troubles. Abby was way too popular in that respect.

Kathy closed her notebook, then stashed it inside her backpack, which she had set down on the ground next to her a while ago. She tossed the pencil inside as well.

The other girl was looking off into the sky. Kathy glanced at the sky as well. Clouds. Smog.

"Are you looking for stars?" she finally asked, squinting into the darkness above.

Program V3 Prologue:
[+] Spoiler
SOTF TV:

Virtua-SOTF:

Program V2:

SOTF TV V2:

MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro
MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro

March 17th, 2011, 6:02 am #13

Kathy asked if Karen was looking for stars. The question caught her by surprise, but then, for the first time all day, Karen actually cracked a genuine, highly amused smile. It was the phrasing. Kathy had asked not if she was looking at the stars, but if she was looking for them. After all, they both knew there were no stars here.

"Nah," Karen said. "Seems a bit silly. I'm admiring the smog."

That was... more flippant than she normally allowed herself to be. This was getting outside her comfort zone, into the realm of danger. This was getting into the area where things could actually be communicated. Communication led to familiarity and understanding, and Karen did not at all want her mind laid out like a book to be read by her classmates. Her aunt could talk to her and coax her into joking and laughing. No one else.

So she didn't continue, even though a part of her almost wanted to. She just kept looking off into the sky, watching the patterns of the clouds slowly shift. Her father would be here eventually to pick her up. She'd leave, and the moment would be lost. When she and Kathy passed each other in the halls in a week, they would be strangers again. Perhaps Kathy would smile or nod or wave, but Karen would be being careless and distracted and wouldn't notice. This didn't mean anything.

So that earlier bit of levity couldn't hurt at all.
Current characters:

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
[+] Spoiler
The Program V1:

The Program V2:

SOTF-TV V1:

SOTF-TV V2:

Second Chances V1:

Second Chances V2:

BR AU:

SOTF Evolution:

VIRTUA SOTF:

Iceblock
Veteran

March 18th, 2011, 11:47 pm #14

The other girl smiled, and made a silly remark about admiring the smog.

Kathy smiled back at her.

"You think so?" She had never really thought of the smog as pretty. Of course, Kathy knew it was most likely just an amusing, non-serious remark, but when she caught onto something in her brain, she just had to think about it. Smog caused pollution, even illness, sometimes. But, living in the city, she didn't really think about it all that much normally. It was pretty much a fact of life. If it was really bad, then everyone just stayed inside.

"Sometimes I think the smog looks like stuff. You know, like clouds, except you can see it at night." Of course, most of the time, it just settled into a huge haze that was basically a thick fog around the whole city.

Kathy pointed up towards a particularly light patch of smog, silhouetted against the darkness of the night sky and the rest of the smog. Maybe the moon was behind it.

"That one looks kind of like a turtle, don't you think?"

Funny. Instead of stargazing... smoggazing.

Program V3 Prologue:
[+] Spoiler
SOTF TV:

Virtua-SOTF:

Program V2:

SOTF TV V2:

MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro
MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro

March 19th, 2011, 6:39 am #15

It seemed Kathy was taking Karen seriously, as she turned her own face to the smog, looking at it with new eyes. She spoke of things that the smog looked like to her. It was as if she was experiencing some magical revelation. It was enough to convince Karen to try taking her own quip seriously, to try looking for shapes in the smog.

The smog looked like smog. There were no mysteries there. She could appreciate its aesthetics to some degree. Urban decay could be pretty, in its own weird way. It made her think of her science fiction novels, of a world more advanced than the one she lived in now, but still with the same problems and vices.

Kathy pointed at a patch of smog, back lit by something. She asked if it looked like a turtle.

"Yeah," Karen lied.
Current characters:

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
[+] Spoiler
The Program V1:

The Program V2:

SOTF-TV V1:

SOTF-TV V2:

Second Chances V1:

Second Chances V2:

BR AU:

SOTF Evolution:

VIRTUA SOTF: