peregrineink
Veteran

October 14th, 2011, 10:44 am #31

Jake watched as Amber went through some gamut of emotions before settling on something neutral, before pressing on by discussing a close friend of hers. His hangdog face ended up looking even more hangdog as he sympathized with her, it wasn't just him who was having a hard time with the people he knew on the island. Hell, it was almost as though every kid he had ever grown up with was now on this damn TV show.

"But in all the confusion, I'd completely lost track of him. I... I have no idea if he's even still alive right now......"

Jake felt awkward about this, as though he should say something, just as Odile had come back and stuck out a bloody hand to him by way of introduction. He stared at her hand for a moment before looking her in the eye and shaking it. Jake Langston had decided to no longer be afraid, what was a little blood? Hadn't they all seen it on the island at this point?

Amber seemed really distraught about this friend, so he decided to say something comforting.

"I know what you mean, I don't even know if she's still alive either. Madelyn, I mean. Or where she is. All I know was that she was alive by the last announcement."

He realized then that he was still holding on to Odile's hand, and slowly took it out of hers, a little stickier than it was before.

Well, what's a little more blood, right?
-PeregrineInk

Honoring the glorious dead:
F26: Maddie Harris: Resident artist.- Seven Unveiled Masterpieces- Death by carelessness
YLW5:Jake Langston:Just a nice guy-No kills- Death by misunderstanding
GLD1:Mae St. Clair -One half of the Golden Couple- One and a half kills- Death by loss of hope
M18: Brian Larke: A horrible human being.- Two kills- Death by just desserts.

Kitten
Rookie
Kitten
Rookie

October 16th, 2011, 5:20 am #32

The tall guy took her hand. Brave. That'd definitely come in handy, just as soon as she knew what she'd need a big, brave guy for. Odile'd found Amber. She'd lost Cesar. She'd given up on her childish fantasies of SOTF-celebrity. All it seemed she was doing now was running out time.

The big guy said he was looking for someone. It wasn't anyone Odile had heard of, and there didn't seem to be anything to be gained by being dishonest about that. She could certainly do worse than helping. It wasn't like she was busy with anything, after all.

Wasn't like she had any appointments to keep.

"Can't say I've come across many Madelyns, sorry."

Then, because she still had no idea what the boy was called:

"You're from the other school, right? The Texan one? I don't think I caught your name."

Her next question was far less cordial, but it was one that needed to be asked. Odile rested her hand on her gun, just in case. Jake certainly seemed friendly, but if there were anything that would change his demeanour, it was this next topic.

"I don't want to have to ask you this, and I'm sure you don't want to answer, but it's going to get pretty fucking important pretty soon. A day or so back, I was attacked by a couple, Holly and John, from your school. I managed to get away. They didn't. I need to know if anyone's going to be coming after us for that."

The "us" was important. They were in this together, after all.

The whole incident with them on the beach had been overshadowed by the shit with Cesar, but she hadn't forgotten about it, and felt shittier than ever. She'd justified it then, spouting rhetoric about them being doomed anyway, about their deaths being a sacrifice to the greater good of entertainment. It was stupid, it was awful, and she wished she could take it back.

But she couldn't, and taking any sort of responsibility for it would only serve to get her into trouble that she did not need right now. There were however many million people hating her back home. No one would begrudge her wanting to keep just one or two people who didn't see her as a psycho around. Maybe she'd help Jake out. That'd atone her a bit, right?

"There was some kid named... it was Lou, right, Amber?"

She didn't know the circumstances, and she didn't really need to. Sure, she cared from the perspective of a friend, in that she wanted Amber to be okay, but for her own sake Odile wasn't really worried about her friend's killing. She knew Amber well enough to know it wouldn't've been malicious, and besides: she wasn't exactly in a position to judge. The more of that benefit o' doubt she gave, the more she could hope to receive, and with what Odile'd done?

She'd need a whole fucking lot.

Did Jake look a little puzzled? Odile supposed she should explain.

"Anything you have on him'd be helpful too, I guess. Once this Cesar thing gets out, there's going to be a lot of people who assume the worst. Dealing with pretty much anyone is going to get... tentative. This is up for debate, of course, but it seems to me like our best bet is just to hole up here, put a gun on the entrance, and get to be selective about who we're dealing with. I mean, that was some Los Alamos shit back there, Amber? I'm not trying to be harsh or whatever, but if Cesar's alive, he's running, 'cause there was way too much shooting going on for some unarmed kid to come out scratchless."

She paused for a breath, and to see how Amber was taking this. Her friend seemed okay.

Sterling's going to be running about, and there aren't that many places you can stop 'round here. Our odds of meeting him are a lot better if we stay put than if we run about, all aimless an' shit."

She'd gotten a little off topic.

"Sorry, I got a little off topic, there. It's been a... a rough couple of hours. A rough couple of days, not that yours've been any better. Anyway, if we're forting up, we need to know who to let in and who to scare off. We need to know now too, 'cause I don't want to have to come running to you every time someone I don't know comes a-knocking, just to check that there isn't revenge on their mind. So if there're any friends of those kids that'll be gunning for me, or gunning for Amber here, or if there's anyone out for your head, big guy, then I'm going to need you to tell me."

Authoritative. That was good. The other two looked about as lost as she felt, and someone taking charge seemed like a good idea.

Fake it till you make it, right?

Was that everything? She could maybe throw in a little "don't forget how great Verizon is" to show what a great corporate whore she was to their idiot of a mentor, maybe get him to actually help for once, instead of just-

Shit, there was something she'd forgotten. Odile pulled the pen from her pocket, and the manual for Holly's gun out of her pack.

"There's actually another thing too. Verizon's endorsement requests prove there're probably mics in the collars. There's speakers there, and it's a pretty similar wiring thing."

She'd helped the Cat's sound guys a couple of times, when they'd been short-handed.

"I mean, even if there aren't, it shows they've got some kind of decent recording set up around us, and their not exactly scrupulous about how they use what they hear us say. Sooo... if there's anything we need to say, that we don't want it broadcast to who-the-fuck-ever..."

She opened the book to the first page and wrote above the text, then handed it to Amber.

best to write it.
...Hai

Fiori
Veteran
Fiori
Veteran

October 16th, 2011, 1:43 pm #33

Amber leant against the wall as she listened to Odile's statement, biting her lower lip nervously as she did so.

So, as it turned out, she HAD been forced to defend herself. From two people at the same time, from the sound of things. Yeah, that made sense. Some couple deciding to take the Bonnie and Clyde route and take on the rest of the island together. She remembered seeing that happen once or twice before in previous versions. It never really ended well, but it always made for some interesting drama.

That said, Amber couldn't help but feel as though Odile had left something unsaid. Killing two people within such a small space of time didn't sound like an easy achievement, especially when they both attacked you first. Not that she didn't understand why Odile would gloss over the gritty details. After all, Jake probably knew those two people. God knows how he was going to react to this piece of news. Hopefully, he'd be understanding, but if not then... Well, Amber didn't want to think about it. Either way, the fact remained that whilst Amber had a vague idea as to why Odile had killed two people, she was far from satisfied with the answer she was given.

All the more reason why she desperately wanted an opportunity to talk to Odile about this in private, where she wouldn't have to worry about any judgemental ears listening in to what she had to say.

"There was some kid named... it was Lou, right, Amber?"

Amber swallowed, then nodded in approval. "Y-yeah, I think that was his name." she replied, unsure as to whether or not she should go on in detail about how it had been done in self-defence. She assumed that Odile would have guessed that herself, seeing she always had a knack for reading people like a book, but nevertheless she felt seriously uncomfortable about not explaining therself.

Either way, Odile began talking again anyway, so Amber decided that it'd be better to save that conversation for later. At first she was going to object to the idea of staying put in the cruise ship, what with Sterling and Bobby still out there, probably worried sick about what had happened to her. But once Odile explained the reasoning behind her suggestion, Amber couldn't deny that it made more sense to stay put than go on a wasteful search. After all, Sterling could be anywhere by now. She wouldn't even begin to know where to start looking first. It'd be better to just stay put and wait for him to find them on his own.

She wasn't 100% happy about the idea of just sitting and waiting for Sterling to show up, but from the looks of things she didn't have that many alternative options.

At that point, Odile then brought up the fact that they could use notes to communicate with each other, passing her a page of the manual she had with the words "best to write it" on it. She recalled seeing people communicate like that during previous games as well, and how as a viewer it had always annoyed her that she couldn't tell what the contestants were saying to each other. Sometimes they would get lucky and the camera would be able to zoom onto the note and highlight it for the audience, but for the most part she just had to guess what was being communicated.

Still, whilst she wasn't sure when she would ever need to communicate like that, it was nice to know that Odile has thought ahead about that kind of thing.

"I... I guess we could stay here for a day or two." She said, passing the note to Jake as she did so. "M-M-Maybe we can have people taking turns being a lookout. You know, in case either Sterling or Madelyn come near the docks or something?"
THE PROGRAM V2

M02: Damien Stone - Pitchfork/Ballistics Knife - The Lake
[+] Spoiler
B10, Ryuhei Sasagawa - Sickle/Shotgun - Northern Mountain (C7)

B09, Hiroshi Kuronaga - M1911A1 - Eastern Shore (F10)
[+] Spoiler

SOTF: Evolution

C03, Keira MacDonald - Whooping Smoke - Deceased "Hi there, the name's Keira MacDonald. No jokes please, the Big Mac ones got stale after the thirtieth time I heard 'em."
[+] Spoiler
SOTF: The Program

F06: Sophie Mason - Crowbar - Officer's Quaters
F10: Stephanie Mason- Remington 870 - Officer's Quaters
[+] Spoiler
SOTF: TV (WIP)

PRP2: Amber Lyons - Short Spear - The Open Plains
GLD2: Todd Hudson - Tent - The Hot Spot

peregrineink
Veteran

October 16th, 2011, 5:09 pm #34

"Sorry- my name's Jake. Jake Langston. You...uh, you probably haven't heard of me."

Jake tried not to sound too disappointed with himself as he said it. Come'on, Jake, people hearing of each other on this island basically had a lot to do with murder.

"And i'm sure that you had a reason for killing Holly and Jack, I mean...um, when you love someone, you probably want to protect them at all costs, and that's probably what Holly and Jack wanted to do for each other. Self defense is key on the island."

He thought of that girl he shot. The one Zach ended up killing. For a fleeting second he thought that Odile and him could kill together, however that didn't seem to be a point here, she obviously was killing in self defense, obviously she had no interest in doing it herself.

He felt a little shiver when she asked if anyone else was going to be coming after them, the "us", had he even felt like an "us" when he was with Mikaela and Madelyn? He had only felt as though he were constantly fucking up, coming apart, while Mads tried to keep it together and started to seriously hate him for it.

"I don't think anyone's looking for me," Jake told her. Then he remembered Mae. "Though my friend Mae, from my school, told me that if she ever saw me again she would kill me."

She had looked so cold when she said that, so completely gone. Jake prayed that Shawn Morrison had gotten far far away from Mae St. Clair.

"I think that will be circumstantial though, I don't think she's going to come after me. Besides that I think I'm on my own. We are, I mean. I like the idea of staying here though. It's good. Organization is good."

Jake looked down at the note that was passed to him and nodded. Picking up the pen he quickly wrote.

We don't have to wait for Madelyn. He quickly shoved it back to Odile. Hopefully she wouldn't ask questions. He really hoped he wouldn't have to explain his abandonment out loud. He bit his lip, like she always used to.

People who loved each other stayed and fought together.

What did that say about him?

-PeregrineInk

F26: Maddie Harris: Resident artist.- Seven Unveiled Masterpieces- Death by carelessness
GLD1:Mae St. Clair -One half of the Golden Couple- One and a half kills- Death by loss of hope

Kitten
Rookie
Kitten
Rookie

October 16th, 2011, 9:15 pm #35

Amber seemed shaken. Odile took her hand and squeezed it.

"They'll turn up, don't worry. An' yeah, look out seems like a good idea. If that lunatic Karen or any other nutter with a gun shows up, it's gonna be a lot easier to convince them to back off when we're sittin' pretty in a doorway an' they're out on a dock, with no cover for shit. That, and I'm thinking that the next announcement might get a couple of people pretty fucked off. Bobby and Brennan seemed fairly buddy-buddy with Cesar, the last time I saw them, and they didn't exactly take kindly to me. Him being... being how he is, probably not going to go down well with them. It'll be good to see them coming, maybe get a chance to talk them outta any foolish notions about some eye-for-an-eye Old-Testament nonsense they might be in possession of."

This seemed a little redundant, considering how dark it was outside. Did Jake know about the glass? It couldn't hurt to mention it.

"Amber's smashed a bunch of glasses down under the doorway, in case ya missed that, Jake. We may not be able to see shit at the moment, but if anyone's coming we've got a pretty good chance of hearing them."

Was there anything else? She wanted to add "You two can take first watch. I just shot most of my boyfriend's head off, and I'm going to find the biggest bed in this place and curl up under it and cry, for a bit."

It seemed like she was taking on some kind of leadership thing though, and as little as Odile needed that right now, she had to admit it was better than them all standing around, looking puzzled and sad. Maybe keep the uncontrollable weeping she'd scheduled to herself, here.

"Look, I really need a shower," she said instead. Pulling the gun from her waistband, she handed it to Amber.

"You two take first watch. Be discriminate, yeah?"

They looked a little unconvinced.

"And, uh...

Odile grabbed her pack and opened it up, moving some food out of the way and taking out two grenades. She he held them out, one to Jake, the other to Amber.

"...just in case"

There were some scary people out there, after all.
...Hai

Fiori
Veteran
Fiori
Veteran

October 17th, 2011, 7:14 pm #36

A faint smile appeared on Amber's lips as Odile squeezed her hand, her perfect blue eyes gazing deeply into Odile's.

It was little moments like this that reminded Amber why she cared so deeply about the girl who stood before her, and why she had been searching for her ever since she first woke up on this island. She couldn't think of anyone else on the island who could make her feel like this by doing nothing more complicated then simply holding her hand. Not even Sterling could emote such feelings from her so easily, and whilst Amber did care deeply for him as well, her attraction to him was for the most part a physical one. Odile on the other hand...

Sadly, as much as she wished the moment could last forever, eventually Odile let go of her hand as she continued to discuss their situation in detail. Not that Amber could blame her. They had much more important things to worry about right now, what with the ever-present threat of someone trying to break into their new shelter.

Amber wasn't entirely sure how to take the news that Bobby apparently distrusted Odile. As much as she loathed to admit it, she wasn't actually that surprised that Bobby was so paranoid of Odile. After all, she HAD killed two people in a row, which was a more than justified reason not to trust her. Amber knew for certain that if she didn't know Odile that well, then she wouldn't have trusted her for a second, what with her creepy and mysterious nature.

But unlike Bobby, Amber DID know Odile. Far better than most people on the island for that matter. And she knew for a fact that Odile wouldn't have killed those two people if she didn't have a justified reason for doing so. That her creepy femme-fatale persona was nothing more than a facade she put on for the stage, and that deep down Odile was no different to her or any other girl on this island. Odile was just as scared as everyone else, the only difference being that she was very good at hiding it. But Bobby couldn't know that, nor could anyone else for that matter. Which was exactly why Amber was determined to make sure that her best friend's good name wouldn't be demonized , even though a part of her suspected that it might already be too late.

That said, a small part of her felt somewhat disheartened by the news that her friends were now turning against each other. And whilst she knew that if push came to shove, she'd happily side with Odile against Bobby, deep down she prayed that it would never come down to that.

"Look, I really need a shower, You two take first watch. Be discriminate, yeah?"

At first, Amber was going to object to that idea, but quickly shut her mouth when she realised that Odile was subtly suggesting that she what REALLY wanted was a chance to be on her own for a while. And whilst Amber was tempted to suggest that she stick with her, she knew that it would be best to do as she said. After all, if there was one thing Amber had learnt, it was that the chance for a little privacy was something to be cherished on this unpredictable island.

"Y-Yeah, sure, okay..." she replied as she looked over the gun that Odile had handed over to her. It was a lot bigger then the one which belonged to Jake. Not to mention a heck of a lot heavier. But aesthetically speaking, Amber quite liked it. It looked like a great big silver revolver, just like the one from that old 1970's cop flick she watched with Sterling the night before her 17th birthday. There was something especially cool about it's design, and if anything it felt twice as empowering then the teeny weeny pistol Jake had in his back pocket.

That said, it also happened to be the very same gun that blew Cesar's brains all over the wall just ten minutes ago... Just don't think about it Amber. Besides, with any luck, you probably won't ever have to put this to use...

As she tucked the gun into her back pocket, Amber's eyes widened as Odile gave her and Jake a hand grenade each, her hand trembling as she held the deadly explosive in her delicate hands. To think that such a small thing could cause so much damage. At first, Amber was going to suggest letting Odile keep in, when she suddenly remembered how Karen had tricked her on the first day. Hehe, I can't wait to see the look on her face when I show her what a REAL grenade looks like.

She smiled inwardly at the thought.

"Thanks, I uh... Hope I won't have to use it." she joked, forcing a small laugh before abruptly clearing her throat as she tucked the grenade into her pocket.

"Well, um. I guess we may as well all head off now, right?"

Nobody moved or said anything immediately. Nobody, that is, except for Amber. Who after a five second pause couldn't stop herself from taking a couple of steps towards Odile and wrapping her arms around her neck for a quick hug, during which she whispered something into Odile's ear...

"Don't worry, you can always rely on me..."

After giving Odile a quick peck on the cheek, Amber let go, smiled, then turned around to face Jake before heading down the corridor. "C'mon, lets go see up and see if there's a control room or something we can use as a vantage point..."

Which, as it happened, there was.

It had been nearly two hours since Amber and Jake left the blood-soaked corridor to find the control room they were now using as a makeshift lookout tower. Actually finding it hadn't taken so long. After snaking their way through several corridors and up a couple of sets of stairs, the two eventually found themselves in the room which the captain of the ship used to reside within back when it was still being used for touring around the island. There were several control panels and glass windows, and a big leather swivel chair near the centre of the room.

In other words, it was the perfect location to use as a vantage point. Not only did it overlook the entire upper deck through the numerous glass windows, but it also gave them a perfect view of the docks. And best of all, it was practically impossible for anyone from the docks to see them from where they were standing.

Now the only thing they had to worry about was boredom.

Amber was lounging on a leather swivel chair as Jake paced about the room, keeping an eye out for any familiar faces out on the docks. The two had been engaging in small talk for the past hour or so, discussing things which they used to find important back when they didn't have to worry about preserving their lives. Stuff like movies, television, old habits. Occasionally, one of them would ask something about the other person's life before the game, but usually they would find some excuse to change the subject back to something more mundane.

Amber did learn a thing or two though. For one, Jake and his classmates happened to come from Texas, which she couldn't help but find amusing. So they took a bunch of rich kids from Texas and a bunch of poor kids from Detroit and put them all on the same island? God, I'm surprised they even bothered to remind us that we're SUPPOSED to be tearing each other apart...

Still, there was one small subject which Amber was curious which she had yet to bring up. One question which she had been subconsciously avoiding for the past thirty minutes. Partially because she suspected that it would be a difficult question for Jake to answer, seeing as it involved something which he had suspiciously mentioned little of during their conversation.

But in the end, after finding herself with nothing else to say, Amber decided to go ahead and ask anyway.

"Sooo.... Tell me, what's Madelyn like? Is she cute?"
THE PROGRAM V2

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

C03, Keira MacDonald - Whooping Smoke - Deceased "Hi there, the name's Keira MacDonald. No jokes please, the Big Mac ones got stale after the thirtieth time I heard 'em."
[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

peregrineink
Veteran

October 18th, 2011, 12:25 am #37

It was nice to get away from the blood.

And it was even nicer to just hang out with someone for a while. He found it strange though, just hanging out and making small talk with a girl on a cruise ship. They were supposed to all be murdering each other, and yet Jake instead found himself enjoying this quiet moment, though he watched the docks and everything, he almost found himself watching Amber more. How embarrassing was that?

Then she dropped the bomb.

"Sooo.... Tell me, what's Madelyn like? Is she cute?"

His mouth twitched up in a half smile, half grimace.

"Madelyn was-is tough. She's a tough girl. She always loved to fight. More than I did, anyway. She's a fighter. She had these red lips, always chewing on them. She always knew what she wanted while I was the wishy washy one, almost like I wanted everything..."

He laughed at that.

"She got into a fight with a guy on the island, while she went to the bathroom. Just walked away, got into a fight, came back. So tough, I guess that's why I left."

His blood froze. He turned to look at her, to see if she caught his strange admission. Instead she looked up at him and asked another question.

"Do you miss her?"

That was a question. That was certainly a question that he should answer to be nice. That was certainly a question he should figure out the answer to before he broke down like he was always doing. Did he miss Madelyn? She wasn't far from his thoughts, she hadn't been since the moment he woke up on this damn hole, but did he miss her? He couldn't think of a moment since he left when his heart truly longed for her. He couldn't think of a second from the beginning when he didn't think of her because he thought that he should.

"Truthfully?" He admitted. "I think I've already accepted our deaths."
-PeregrineInk

Kitten
Rookie
Kitten
Rookie

October 18th, 2011, 12:56 am #38

Odile wasn't sure when she'd fallen asleep, or how long she'd been out. About five minutes of searching had found her a working shower, and she'd gotten into it with her clothes on and just stood there, enjoying the water, not really thinking. There hadn't seemed to be any cameras in the bathroom, but Odile had approximately zero faith in the show to not have hidden them somewhere. Nothing gave a show about teen murder that little touch of class like underage nudity, after all.

It was good, in there. It was good feeling cleaner. It was good not having a reminder of everything she'd done clotting in her hair and sticking under her fingernails. Shit, it was good because showers were just nice.

She'd dried herself half-heartedly and lain down on the nearest bed. The light was off, and she hadn't bothered to correct that, but she had no real interest in sleep. Looking up at the ceiling that she couldn't see, Odile had thought about her options.

There were four of them, as far as she could work out. She could kill seven more people. She could work with Jake and kill everyone. She could escape. Or she could die.

Even the best of those options wasn't attractive. She didn't have the technical or mechanical expertise to put an escape plan into action, and that was presuming she was even able to come up with a plan, which wasn't looking likely. It was possible that Jake was some sort of secret technical wizz, she supposed, but the fact that he hadn't gotten out of here yet made the percentage on that look pretty fucking low.

Escape'd mean new allies. It'd mean leaving the safety of the boat and scouting. It'd mean finding some way to remove the collars. It'd mean finding someone who was capable of doing that. It'd mean finding some way to get off the island, and some way to get to somewhere safe.

It'd mean a lot of work. It'd mean a lot of danger. And it still wouldn't bring Cesar back.

I hope you can get back home. Please, be safe. Be happy. And survive.

She was trying her best, here, but jesus fuck was it difficult. She could try and escape, but that would mean leaving safety. She could kill her way to freedom, but living with two of those was already killing her: there was no way she could be happy. Or she could do nothing, and not survive.

Would it be so bad? Dying? Was there really much for her back home, now? She'd be hated. Reviled. She'd have to change her name, change how she looked, and she'd still never feel entirely safe from people finding out about what she'd done.

She'd never perform again.

~~~

Odile woke up shivering; her clothes still wet. Odile woke up confused; not knowing when she'd nodded off, or for how long. And Odile woke up angry.

Fuck this show. Fuck making someone have to even think about the shit that was worrying her, and fuck making that person a fucking kid. She was getting out of here.

"Hey, where're you at?"

There wasn't a sign of Amber or Jake, but Odile could hear their voices from somewhere. Brilliant. She kind of needed one of them to figure a way out of there.
...Hai

Fiori
Veteran
Fiori
Veteran

October 18th, 2011, 10:10 am #39

At first, Jake's reply to Amber's query went better then she thought it would.

He went on to explain how Madelyn was always a lot tougher than he was, which in all honestly didn't surprise Amber that much. Jake struck her as being the type of guy who let his tougher and more assertive girlfriend be the more dominant person in their relationship. Which wasn't a bad thing, of course, seeing as it also meant that he was also a lot friendlier then some of the other people she'd met on this island.

Madelyn on the other hand sounded like a pretty cool girl. Tough, strong willed, assertive, a fighting spirit, red lips... She sounded like a very good person to have on her team. It was just a shame that it also meant that she took a spot which could have been occupied by one of her friends.

Well, I guess I can't hold that against her. I mean, its not like we got to CHOOSE who we got as our teammates. I just wish that... I dunno, maybe I should try asking him something else.

On that note, Amber decided to ask Jake if he missed his girlfriend.

That was when things started getting a little... Awkward.

"Truthfully? I think I've already accepted our deaths."

For the next minute or so, there was a long awkward silence between them.

Amber wasn't exactly sure how she should respond to a comment like that. After all, the implications of what he'd just said had revealed a part of Jake which she had failed to notice before. That beneath his friendly and laid back exterior, he had already given up all hope of surviving this mess.

Amber of course couldn't claim that she hadn't thought the same thing on more than on occasion. Heck, the chances of ANY of them surviving this mess were pretty damn remote. But nevertheless, deep down she intrinsically felt that there was still some hope. That she and her friends could somehow find a way out of this mess together, WITHOUT having to resolve to bloodhsed. Otherwise she would have probably tugged her collar off by now and get it all over and done with. But she hadn't, and the reason for that was because she knew there had to be a way that she and her friends could make it off this island alive. And as long as that possibility was still within reach, Amber was determined not to let this game drive her to the point of self-destruction.

Which was exactly why the last thing she needed to hear right now was Jake telling her how he had already given in to depression and accepted that they're all probably going to die.

Darnit, what now? Should I try to tell him that he's wrong, and that there its not too late for us all to make it out of here alive? Or would that just give him the an to go on a huge pessimistic rant about how we're all doomed to be killed horribly and how there's nothing we can do about it?

Of course, there was the off-chance that she was reading too much into this one sentence. That maybe he was just trying to look on the bright side by saying that he was okay with the idea of dying, rather then getting all depressed about it. But even so, Amber wasn't feeling particularly comfortable around Jake at the moment. She wanted to distance herself from the horrors that were going on out there, not let herself get depressed about it. And from the looks of things, that seemed to be the direction this conversation was starting to head.

She could always try to change the subject to something completely different, but at the same time a part of her had been itching to go see how Odile was holding up. She didn't particularly like the idea of leaving her by her own in the first place, even if she understood why she wanted to have a moment to herself. Besides, it had been a good hour or two since they separated, so now seemed as good a time as any to head down below deck to see how she was holding up.

"Well..." she eventually managed to say, after a minute or so of complete silence. "...I'm sure all hope isn't lost JUST yet."

She stood up, yawning loudly as she stretched her arms out.

"Anyway, I'm getting kinda sleepy. I think I'm gonna go check up on Odile. You mind keeping watch on your own?"

Before she headed off, Amber walked up to the tall boy and jumped up to give him a quick kiss on the cheek. "I'm sure Madelyn misses you too."

Then she turned around and headed back the way she came.

It had gotten quite dark by this point, and as a result making her way through the maze-like corridors that made up the inside of the cruise ship proved to be a tricky task. Not impossible by any means, but it meant that actually finding Odile could take a while. At first, Amber decided to check every door she came across, but after she realised that all this did was make searching for Odile take longer then necessary she decided to try calling out her name instead.

"Odile? Hello, where are you?"

It was a silly idea, of course, but Amber couldn't think of a better way at the moment for finding out which room her friend was in.

Besides, in the end, it worked anyway as a telltale voice replied from behind on of the many wooden doors that made up this section of the ship. Yay! So that wasn't such a bad idea after all...

She quickly made her way for the door and opened it slowly, peering inside at Odile, who at this moment was sat up on a bed covered in wet clothes.

"Hey Odile! Did you, um, have a nice shower and stuff?" she said, slowly making her way into the room and closing the door behind her.

"I, uh, just wanted to check up on you and make sure that things were alright..."
THE PROGRAM V2

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

peregrineink
Veteran

October 21st, 2011, 9:40 pm #40

Amber quickly excused herself, asking if Jake didn't mind keeping watch on his own. He just smiled and said that no, he didn't mind, and cheerfully watched her leave.

She was nice to talk to, but he really didn't mind watching her walk away either.

No, bad Jake.

He paced the deck, thinking about the last thing he had said to Amber. Was he getting ahead of himself, accepting his death so readily? He had basically given up the moment his hopes of escape had been dashed, and that was pretty much it. Nothing really leading up to this moment had happened, he hadn't gotten injured, and hadn't really seen any combat where he might have died. Besides that part with Zach, his time here had been incredibly mundane.

Lots of talking. Lots of hanging out.

And yet it was impossible for him to not think about his oncoming death.

Did everyone else think this way? The look in Amber's face when he had brought it up had spoken otherwise. She seemed surprised, almost disappointed that he would mention it at all. Were people just going through the motions here in the hopes that the death takes them by some sort of surprised? This was murder island, and everyone was living on it.

What did they expect?

He had known from the beginning what his lot was, and maybe that's why he knew he would never win. He frowned.

What a way of thinking.
-PeregrineInk

Kitten
Rookie
Kitten
Rookie

October 21st, 2011, 10:30 pm #41

((OOC: GMing Approved))

Amber came in, asking how her shower was.

"It's not the four seasons, here, but it's nice to feel clean. I was just about to come looking for you."

Odile patted the bed beside her, and Amber sat down. Her friend leaned into her, exhausted, and leaned into her. Odile stroked the girl's hair in a manner she hoped was vaguely soothing.

"You've come to relieve me of my rest, I take it?"

She'd things she wanted to talk about, of course, but there was no sense in bringing them up now. The usually-bubbly Amber seemed shattered and haggard, and there was no telling how long she'd been awake: maybe as long as Odile had been, maybe longer.

Once her friend had rested, they'd talk.

"Um, actually Odie, there's... Well, there's something I've been meaning to talk to you about."

Or not.

"Yeah, sure. Go for it."

"Its just that... Well, it's about what happened to that couple, Holly and Jack. D-Don't get me wrong or anything, I believe what you said about them attacking you first! I would have never assumed you would have done it for any other reason! Its just that... Well, I don't know, I was just wanted to know a little more about what had actually happened, that's all. Like, if there was anything about what happened which you didn't want Jake to hear about, seeing as he might of misunderstood you and stuff. U-Unless you don't want to talk about it of course, which is cool an' all, because I can understand if it's too difficult for you to... Sorry, i'm rambling aren't I?"

It wasn't a question she wanted to answer, but having it hanging over Amber's head was an even less attractive prospect.

She took a breath, and began.

"Just some couple, thought they were Bonnie and Clyde or some shit. Tried to kill me. They failed."

Odile ran a hand through her hair.

"It was on the beach. I was was sleeping. I woke up and they were... trying to grab me? I'd these scissors, from the first aid kit, my starting weapon was a... some duct tape, actually. I waved them at the girl, at Holy, just... flailing, trying to scare her. I cut her by mistake, and she dropped the gun she'd had, and I grabbed it, and... And pointed it at the boy. At john. I didn't mean for it to fire, it just went off, and they ran away."

Her tone was flat, dead. The lies tasted bitter. Odile'd say what she had to, but the thought of more theatrics disgusted her.

"I thought they were okay. I thought I'd missed, and the cut wasn't that deep, but the announcements happened, and I found out, and..."

And what? She'd lied to a bunch of people, leading most of them into a deathtrap, then come back here and killed her boyfriend? She'd tried desperately to forget what she'd done, and for massive swathes of time had succeeded? She'd been utterly unsurprised by the announcements, because even if Holly survived having most of her blood cut out of her, even if Jack managed to live without the middle of his chest, they were both weighted down at the bottom of the sea? Odile looked down.

"I didn't want to hurt them."

She had wanted to hurt them.

"I didn't want to kill them."

She had wanted to kill them.

"I just keep thinking, like, "Why me?" Like, what have I done with my life that's so great? If I'd died then, if they were running about still, would the world really be that much worse off? I didn't even know them, so how can I say that I deserve to live more than they do? It just... I don't understand."

She didn't understand.

"I don't understand, I can't understand, and it doesn't make any fucking sense that a seventeen year old should understand! This game is insane! We kill each other, to survive? What the fuck is that?"

Odile was angry now, almost shouting.

"And freaks like Karen just go along with it? Like it's all normal? What the fuck is wrong with them? What the fuck is... what's all of this, is fucking..."

She collapsed into Amber, sobbing heavily.

"I don't-... I don't want to die."

She didn't want to die.
...Hai

The Bearded One
Regular

October 22nd, 2011, 6:17 am #42

((Bobby Goldman continued from Wrong Direction))

Bobby walked up the gangplank to the cruise ship's main hatch. Something sounded off, though. There was a loud crunching sound near the bottom of the ramp, and when he looked down he saw that there was broken glass there. Why...?

Then, midway up the ramp, he saw that the main hatch was sealed shut. There was no easy way onto the ship. I didn't come this far to be deterred by a locked door, Bobby huffed to himself.

He shrugged off his backpack and opened it up. For the first time since he showed it to Sterling, he pulled his fanservice costume out. He slipped the jean cut-off shorts on over his trousers he was already wearing. They definitely were not designed for that, and they pinched his crotch painfully. Then he put the pack back on and secured his makeshift weapons to the pack.

Bobby walked over to one of the thick ropes mooring the ship to the dock. He criss-crossed the suspenders over the rope and wrapped them over his opposite side shoulders. He stood for a moment at the edge of the dock, slowing his breathing down and mentally preparing himself. I'm really going to shimmy up this rope and onto the deck of the ship like a pirate? I have to. The hatch is closed; that means someone is on board and not wanting visitors.

Only Odile would do that.

SotF-TV:
[+] Spoiler
Bobby Goldman - track star & wannabe firefighter from Detroit Central HS. Wpn = Shopping Cart (abandoned), 1x plastic rod, 2x (destroyed) 1x metal rod, 1x copper pipe
Pregame: Party Hard -> Doorways
Grey #1 -> Cold & Lonely Road -> Establishing Shot -> Friendly Fire -> Walking Dead -> Peers -> Metanoia -> Transitive Bodies -> As Cold as Silence -> The Wild Hunt -> Wrong Direction -> Bagman's Gambit.

and: Alicia White - fairy-obsessed former gang girl from Detroit Central HS. Wpn = Remington 870 Shotgun [7/8]
Pregame: Lunch Line
Gold #3 -> Lucidity -> Partly Cloudy -> King of the Jungle -> Time to Pretend -> Of Elves and Men.
Virtua-SOTF:
[+] Spoiler
Warren Davies - fan of hockey, history, & games. Wpn = Sawed-off Shotgun [12/12]
The Saloon is Open -> The Good, the Bad, and the OMGWTF

Fiori
Veteran
Fiori
Veteran

October 22nd, 2011, 9:09 pm #43

At first, Amber was perfectly content to just sit next to Odile on the bed and rest her head on the other girl's shoulder.

She smiled as Odile caressed her hair. It felt nice, relaxing even, especially after everything that had happened recently. For a brief moment, she was strongly tempted to just snuggle up to her and completely forget about their dire situation. Just sit back and relax for as long as humanely possible.

But deep down, Amber knew that there was something she had to ask before she got too careful. One question which she had been avoiding that needed to be answer, no matter how much she didn't want to ask it. After all, she knew it would be a difficult question for Odile to answer. Heck, she knew exactly how she would react to a question like it.

But nevertheless, it was something that had to ask. There wasn't any way she could last much longer without knowing the truth about what had happened with that couple, Holly and Jack. The two people who Odile had apparently killed. And whilst a part of her knew that it must of been done in self-defence, at the same time she knew that she wouldn't be truly at ease until she knew for certain that was the case.

And so, she got up from her relaxed position and asked Odile about what had happened, her hand gently squeezing Odile's as she recounted the story.

At first, Odile seemed oddly detached about the whole thing. As if deep down she had already accepted the fact that she had caused the deaths of two living things. Not that Amber could hold that against her. If anything, she kinda wished that she could feel the same way about what she'd done to Lou, seeing as from a purely pragmatic point of view she had done the right thing in that situation. And from the sound of things, Odile had only been trying to fend off these two attackers, only for it to end more bloodily than she had intended. That sounded like a reasonable enough explanation, right?

So how come a part of her still felt like Odile wasn't telling the whole truth? After all, there was just something about her explanation which didn't quite sound right. Something she couldn't quite put her finger on. In any case, the last thing Amber wanted to do right now was start interrogating Odile for the absolute truth. From the looks of things, she was beginning to show signs of regret already...

She bit her lip as Odile began to go on about the game in general. Ranting about how it's all complete and total bullshit. Unlike before, Amber didn't have a doubt in her mind that what Odile was saying here was the absolute truth. Odile wasn't the sadistic and manipulative monster that Bobby and the others believed she was. Deep down, beneath her mysterious exterior, she was just a frightened girl who hid her true feelings from the world to avoid appearing weak. She was an actress. An actress who put on a mask every day of being some mysterious and eccentric showgirl.

And if anyone could relate to that, it had to be Amber.

Eventually, Odile couldn't take it anymore, and buried her head into Amber as she finally allowed herself to weep freely. It was probably the first time Amber had ever seen Odile cry like this. Sure, she had seen her shed tears on stage, but these were different. These were truly genuine tears, the kind that Amber had shed more times than she could count. So in an odd way, it was truly refreshing to see Odile finally let down her guard and reveal her true feelings.

"There there, just let it all out..." said Amber as she wrapped her arms around Odile, giving her the warmest and most loving embrace she had ever given to another person.

For a while, the two simply sat that on the bed, with Amber soothingly embracing Odile as the other girl continued to let her tears flow freely. Almost three minutes passed until Odile's tears finally began to die down, during which Amber took the opportunity to give the other girl a quick and tender kiss on the cheek. One Odile had stopped crying, Amber leaned back and looked her right in the eye, her face only twelve or so inches away from Odile's as she began to speak.

"I... I'm sorry about what had happened to that couple. I know you didn't mean to kill them, I truly do. But what you have to remember is that there wasn't any other way. If you hadn't of fought back, then YOU might of been the one who died back there. There's nothing wrong with defending yourself. Heck, that's something I've been trying to convince myself for the past couple of days..."

She took a deep breath, knowing full well where this was leading to.

"...The other day, me and Sterling were... Resting, when suddenly this big guy came along with a machete and attacked us. I-I-I was so scared. He seemed so... I can't really explain it, he had this insane look in this eye. As if he truly believed that being put in the game was the best thing that ever happened to him. He started trying to cut up Sterling, and even managed to hurt him one or two times, so no other options I....."

She gulped.

"...I grabbed a nearby hatchet, and I....."

She took another deep breath.

"...But, what's done is done. I wish night and day that it didn't have to end that way. That I didn't have to play along and put blood on my hands in order to save Sterling. And as much as I regret what happened, over time, I've slowly begun to accept it. If I hadn't of done something, then we could have both been killed back there. I didn't WANT to kill anyone, and I still don't intend on doing so in order to survive this thing, but sometimes you just have to accept that there was no alternative. That you should always think about the future, rather than let yourself get bogged down by what has happened in the past. It's taken me a long time to accept that. Heck, even now, I truly doubt that I'll ever get over it completely. But if anyone on this island has what it takes to muster up the courage to survive this thing... You do."

A smile began to appear on Amber's lips, her right hand caressing Odile's face. Her beautiful, exotic face.

"You were always much stronger and smarter then I am. Heck, that's part of the reason I wanted to hang out with you in the first place. I remember the first time I ever saw you, on stage performing at that theatre place your family owned. I remember thinking how awesome you were back then. The way you moved, the way you looked. You were just the coolest person I had ever seen! So when I learnt that you went to Detroit as well, I just had to make sure that the two of us became friends."

Slowly, but surely, Amber's hand made its way around Odile's head so that she could stroke her hair.

"Remember Florida Nights? When all those Philipinos surrounded us and Eloise? I was so scared back then. I wasn't sure what to do... But you on the other hand. You played things cool, just like you always do. And as always, you had an ace up your sleeve in the form of that guy at the pinball machine who came along took them all on by himself whilst the three of us made a run for it. I remember how excited I was back then, seeing that one guy fighting off three other men at once, and he was actually WINNING as well! And then afterwards, after walking Eloise back home, the two of us then went back to your place and..."

She paused for a fleeting moment. Unsure as to where she was taking this as her cheeks started going red.

"Well... I.... I know that what happened next, back at your apartment, was nothing more than a bit of fun. That we were just playing around, and... Stuff........ But, sometimes I feel that.... I-I-I just wonder if.... I mean, what I'm trying to say is.... What I meant was......"

Confused and unsure as to what she should - or could - do next, Amber leaned forward and pressed her lips against Odile's.

It was only a short kiss, barely lasting five seconds, but it was nevertheless one of the most tender and loving kisses she had ever given someone in her entire life.

However, waves of guilt began to flow through her as her thoughts drifted to Cesar, and she quick pulled back and began apologising profusely.

"I-I-I'm s-sorry, I shouldn't have done that. I don't know WHY I did that, it just seemed like... I'm SO sorry, that was such a stupid thing for me to do. I should probably...."
THE PROGRAM V2

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

Cake
Mini Maestro
Cake
Mini Maestro

October 24th, 2011, 3:04 pm #44

[[GLD4: Shawn Morrison Continued From: Wrong Direction.]]

Gold Team had finally reached the ramp leading up to the cruise ship entrance, but Bobby was no where to be seen and Shawn was just plain puzzled.

"I don't get it." Shawn whispered to Mae. "We couldn't have gotten here before him. Where's Bobby?"

Perhaps he had already entered the ship then? Yeah, that would be a possible scenario. Well then, only one way to find out.

Shawn crept up the ramp, until he heard something smash beneath his shoes. He froze, turned to look at Mae and then, slowly unzipped his bag for his flashlight. When he found what he was looking for; he flicked the switch to the on position. The beam from his flashlight hurt Shawn's eyes and it took a little while for his vision to adjust to the brightness of the artificial light. He pointed the flashlight down and spotted numerous shards of shattered glass littered through almost the entirety of the entrance ramp.

There was no way the glass here had gotten there by itself. Someone had purposely scattered the broken pieces there, for whatever reason, Shawn didn't know. He used the flashlight to help himself step around the rubbish here, as to make as little noise as possible, while also guiding Mae in the process. Once he reached the top of the ramp, Shawn turned the flashlight toward the entry way to the ship.

The light flashed and shined upon a heavily sealed hatch. Shawn pressed his hands to it, but had no idea how it was supposed to work. After a few attempts, Shawn came to the conclusion that the entrance was locked. He shrugged and turned his attention back to Mae, his voice coated in slight frustration.

"So. What do we do now?"
Second Chances Version 2 Characters:
B14: Kyran Dean | Alive - bandaged cheek with diagonal scar, bloody nose | Whatever (Catchphrase) in: Hero? But I'm a Kid Like Everyone Else | AK-47
G29: Wendy Fischer | Alive | Pantsless in: Carp Diem | Frozen 25lb Carp with no head (Mr. Dolph)

Sotf-TV Season 65 Flagship:
Gold Team Member #4 (SDA Male): Shawn Morrison | One with the Universe | Being Real in: Oracular Spectacular | Brian Peter George St. John Le Baptiste De La Salle Eno, The Deceased Boa Constrictor.

Kitten
Rookie
Kitten
Rookie

October 24th, 2011, 9:16 pm #45

((Skippin' with permission))

Odile didn't know what to do. She didn't know how she felt, or how Amber felt, or how she'd look, kissing a girl so soon after Cesar's death. Her emotions were all over the place, she knew that, and she was prepared to admit that what she was about to do might be a huge mistake.

But Odile kissed Amber back anyway.

Placing a hand on the back of her friend's neck, she cut of Amber's babbling apology with her lips.

Amber tensed for a moment, then seemed to relax.

It was nice.

There'd been something between them for a while, but it had always seemed like a subtext to their friendship, never really quite surfacing. It'd surfaced now, and Odile was liking it.

And then something broke.

"Did you hear that?" she asked herself as much as Amber. Was she just imagining things? Looking for excuses not to do this? What could it have been, Jake just dropping something, or-

The glass on the ramp. Shit.

"Oh, fuck! We need to find Jake, right now" Odile disentangled herself from Amber's embraces and stood up, picking the gun up from where Amber had left it on the bed.

"I think we've got visitors."
...Hai