Study Buddies

Slam
Veteran
Slam
Veteran

March 13th, 2017, 10:39 pm #1

((Jay Harland continued from Space))

The library at lunchtime was not somewhere Jay was used to being, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

It hadn’t been fun, seeing that D grade on his chem paper. Not because he had a high standard for his schoolwork (who gave a crap about that?) but The Man insisted on a C average to stay on the sports teams, and like hell anyone was going to rip him away from his soccer.

So, reluctantly, begrudgingly, and discontentedly, he’d accepted his teacher’s suggestion to get a peer tutor. Private tutors were too pricey, and peer tutors meant he could weave it into his school day, leading to as little disruption to the time that was actually valuable as possible. If he was lucky, maybe he could even get this guy to do all the heavy lifting for him. ‘How do I answer this question? Can you walk me through it?’ was a gem that never failed.

He’d been sat at the table for a few minutes now, already bored. Out of habit, he reached for his phone and started texting.
Program VAM3RICA
Eleanor 'Nellie' Fitzpatrick' - DECEASED - 1 - 2 - 3

Second Second Chances
B09: Jay Harland - DECEASED - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

Aura
Contender
Aura
Contender

March 14th, 2017, 6:07 am #2

((Yumi Nunes pregame start))

Having finished lunch early, Yumi chose to go to the library until her next class began. This was a regular part of her schedule. She didn't like the cafeteria. It was always crowded and loud, not the kind of atmosphere she was fond of at all. The library was better. It was quiet and peaceful, and she was surrounded by books. She couldn't name a single place on campus where she felt more comfortable.

She pulled up an open seat next to someone who was busy on their phone. She hoped that they wouldn't mind her reading there for a while. They seemed pretty into whatever they were looking at, so she assumed that they wouldn't be too bothered by her presence, especially considering that she tended not to draw a lot of attention in the first place.

She sat down and opened up Ptolemy's Gate. She had spent the past couple of months on the Bartimaeus Trilogy, and now she was finally nearing the end of the final book. The action was getting pretty intense, and she instantly let herself get lost in the world of magic and spirits. The library around her faded away as she was thrust into a pitched battle of magic and monsters.
SOTF-TV v2

SP1: Lukas Graves- Forming a team in United
VW2: Angie Hart- Having a bad time of it in Balls Deep
[+] Spoiler
SOTF The Program v2:

Yumi Nunes- Just another victim in Put Down the Pen, Take Up the Sword (34th out of 41)
Brian Meyerhold Callison- Nothing but a statistic in Second Verse, Same As The First (18th out of 41)

SOTF Second Chances:

B05-Craig Hoyle was felled in With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility (37th out of 37)
G08-Keira MacDonald was gunned down in One Bath, Two Bath, Red Bath, Bloodbath (11th out of 37)

Virtua-SOTF:

M17-BIG MIKE Gibraltar ran out of continues in The Long Walk (8th out of 47)

Slam
Veteran
Slam
Veteran

March 14th, 2017, 9:07 am #3

Jay giggled like an idiot in response to the latest text, which wasn’t that funny to begin with. Then he was bored again.

He dropped his phone on the table, glanced about for wherever this tutor was, and holy crap when’d this chick get here?

“Uh…hey? Excuse me?” he called out to her, sticking his hand between her and the book just to make sure that she noticed and everything. Better safe than sorry, since apparently other people weren't on her radar if she just went around sitting next to anyone she felt like without a word.

Well, he was a pretty cool guy to sit next to.

“You can’t sit there, I’ve got my tutor comin-”

He caught himself, not wanting to spill the beans which were already scattered across the table. Just because he didn’t care about his grades and had no shame about it, didn’t mean that he had no pride.

“I’ve got my bud coming. So, you know, move.”

A shush came from the front desk. Jay was tempted to pull a face at them in reply, but held fire for now.
Program VAM3RICA

Second Second Chances

Aura
Contender
Aura
Contender

March 15th, 2017, 4:58 am #4

The interruption caused Yumi to flinch as she was removed from her story and thrust back into the realm of reality. She looked at the boy next to her, largely because his hand was now in the way of her book and preventing her from continuing.

Oh, he was waiting for someone, and he wanted her to move. That made sense. At least now she knew why he was sitting all alone in the library and looking at his phone instead of reading or writing something. Maybe they were going to have a study session, and she was in the way. That also made sense.

Really, she didn't know why she had sat next to him in the first place. She had just seen an open seat and decided to slide right in. Now she was feeling guilty for imposing on his plans. She shut her book, keeping her thumb in it to keep track of what page she was on.

"Sorry." She said softly, volume barely over that of a whisper. She picked up her backpack and moved to a seat at a nearby table. She dropped her bag next to the new chair and sat down, looking back at the old table for a moment before opening her book once more.
SOTF-TV v2

[+] Spoiler
SOTF The Program v2:

Yumi Nunes- Just another victim in Put Down the Pen, Take Up the Sword (34th out of 41)
Brian Meyerhold Callison- Nothing but a statistic in Second Verse, Same As The First (18th out of 41)

SOTF Second Chances:

B05-Craig Hoyle was felled in With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility (37th out of 37)
G08-Keira MacDonald was gunned down in One Bath, Two Bath, Red Bath, Bloodbath (11th out of 37)

Virtua-SOTF:

backslash
Winner

March 16th, 2017, 1:14 am #5

((Sebastien Bellamy continued from Unstoppable Force, Immovable Object))

Punctuality wasn't necessarily a point of pride for Sebastien, but he tried to be on time to things, if not early. He hadn't managed today, thanks to the realization that he had forgotten to bring a lunch leading to a hurried meal in the cafeteria before he had to meet this guy.

The guy he was tutoring, that was, not any other sort of guy. (At this point Sebastien was pretty cool with the idea that he could date a guy if the opportunity and inclination hit him, but there really weren't many boys in the school that he would consider dating. Not many girls either, for that matter. He wasn't sure if he was particular in his tastes or if most of the student body of PJ Hobbs was just unappealing in a romantic sense.)

Jay Harland wasn't someone he would normally have approached either way, but tutoring looked good on the resume and extra credit was extra credit. Hopefully he wouldn't make much of an issues of Sebastien running late; starting their tutoring sessions off with a poor first impression would set a bad tone for the rest of their time together.

Fortunately, once he actually got to the library, Jay's shock of red hair was easy to spot. Sebastien slid into a chair across from him and wasted no time in retrieving his chemistry textbook and his notes. "Hey, sorry I'm late. Lunch line, you know."

Slam
Veteran
Slam
Veteran

March 17th, 2017, 5:47 pm #6

FINALLY, Sebastian appeared, taking the seat that had Yumi hadn’t even been using in the first place. Jay found his excuse for his tardiness pretty weak, considering that he himself had managed to keep track well enough to eat beforehand, but he decided to let it slide. The lunch was already more or less a write-off if he was going to have to spend it doing more schoolwork, and he needed to keep on this guy’s good side for the time being. This was only their second time talking to each other, the first being arranging the actual session, so Jay was still getting a read on him.

“It’s whatever, don’t worry about it.” He replied, flashing a smile that creeped at the edges just a bit. His phone vibrated on the table, so he took a moment to check that text. Saw it was nothing, then looked back to his tutor. “So how’s this work? I tell you what I’m stuck on, and we go over it?”

He had given this whole thing some thought, more than he’d care to admit actually. There’d been enough downtime whilst waiting for Seb to casually finish his lunch, anyway.

“Cause it was an organic chemistry paper that I didn’t do great on, so I guess you’d want to work on that. I’m doing fine in lab work and bonds and stuff, so, you know.” he continued, giving a little shrug.

Another text came in, prompting him to check his phone again.
Program VAM3RICA

Second Second Chances

backslash
Winner

March 30th, 2017, 3:27 pm #7

"That's pretty much it, yeah," Sebastien said, opting to ignore Jay's obvious preoccupation with his phone. As long as he put in the effort he got the extra credit, so if Jay wanted to spend all their tutoring sessions texting, well, Sebastien had done what he could.

He flipped his book and notes open to the appropriate spot. "Orgo is pretty tough for a lot of people, so I'll do my best but the teacher should really be covering trouble spots too." There was no guarantee that the non-AP chem teacher was doing their job properly, of course. Sebastien was mainly trying to gauge Jay's reaction; did he actually care about his grades despite appearances, or was he happy to heap the blame on someone else? Maybe the teacher really wasn't covering what needed to be covered, or chemistry was just a difficult subject for him. The fact that he was doing pretty well with the basics was somewhat promising, at least.

"Do you have the paper with you, so I can see what the issue was? Or like, comments from the teacher?"

Slam
Veteran
Slam
Veteran

April 3rd, 2017, 9:01 pm #8

“…Orgo?”

He stifled a laugh; hadn’t heard that one before. Frickin’ nerds and their leetspeak.

“Oh, right. Test.” He bent down to reach into his bag, pulling his phone down with him when it rumbled once again. It returned to eye level before he did, bringing up the quiz paper with all its ticks and crosses along with him.

“So I know why fossil fuels are bad, pollution and greenhouse gasses, blah blah blah, but then they’re asking us to do things like name all the alkanes and alkynes and say which compound is the most acidic and I’m like whaaaat? I mean, why even memorise this stuff anyway, isn’t that what we have Wikipedia for now?”

“You’re a science whiz or something, right? You tell me what the point is here.”
Program VAM3RICA

Second Second Chances

backslash
Winner

April 16th, 2017, 5:13 pm #9

You might have an easier time understanding things if you weren't glued to your phone, was Sebastien's first thought but he wisely kept it to himself. Good impressions here. He scanned Jay's test, nodding absently as the other boy spoke. It wasn't dreadful; common mistakes, really, the kind that you could overcome with a bit of extra studying on the regular.

The main roadblock would probably be convincing Jay that a regular study schedule would be useful, given his attitude, but Sebastien supposed that was why he was here.

He snorted a bit. "I guess there isn't much of a point if you don't plan on using any of this in whatever sort of career you're going to have, honestly." Sports? Sports seemed like a good bet with Jay. "But you've still got to get through school with passing grades. Nature of the beast."

Sebastien turned to a fresh page in his notebook. "So let's start with alkanes, alkynes, alkenes, and benzene. I assume they throw that one in there just to mess with students." He stifled a snicker at the way Jay's expression fell as he continued talking.

Slam
Veteran
Slam
Veteran

April 25th, 2017, 10:07 pm #10

Jay stared blanky at Sebastien. Whatever the joke was, he wasn't seeing it.

"Oh my god, how much longer are we doing this?" he groaned, nice and loud, sinking into his chair as his head fell back. As much as he loved spending his lunch time listening to this guy talk about the things he didn't care enough about to listen to the first time, he also loved doing literally anything other than study in his lunch break. Surely it had to be almost over by now, as he looked at the clock hanging from the wall.

Alas, it had only been twenty minutes.

He let out another long groan.

"Can't you just like, make some flashcards for me to look at later, or something? I've got stuff to do, y'know."

Going to find his friends and hang out with them totally counted as stuff that needed to be done.
Program VAM3RICA

Second Second Chances

backslash
Winner

April 27th, 2017, 8:43 pm #11

"If I made flash cards for you, would you actually use them?" Sebastien couldn't help the note of irritation that crept into his voice. Accounting for Sebastien's slight tardiness, they had been actually studying for less than half an hour and Jay was already trying to blow him off? Not that tutoring was incredibly thrilling or anything, but Sebastien was taking time out of his own lunch period to help somebody else out.

It had been enough time for him to catch on to what Jay's real issue was. It wasn't like he was actually dumb or anything, or that the material was all that challenging; it was Jay's attention span. Sebastien had started keeping count of how often Jay checked his phone, and it could range anywhere from a few minutes to about thirty seconds before Jay lost interest in whatever they were talking about and started texting whoever.

Something something millennials and their smartphones, he thought dryly.

"I can make some flash cards if you really think that'll help, but that means at least one more tutoring session. One that you'll have to actually be engaged in." He tried not to sound condescending, he really did, but it was hard to help people who weren't interested.

Slam
Veteran
Slam
Veteran

May 17th, 2017, 7:24 am #12

Jay writhed in his seat a bit at Sebastian’s lecturing. Of course he’d actually use them, why wouldn’t he? Flash cards were so convenient: you looked at them once, and bang you knew stuff. Best study tool. On all the tests where he’d bothered to actually turn the cards around at some point, he’d always done marginally better.

Still, the opportunity to escape had presented itself, so much that Sebastian's whole crack about being engaged sailed cleanly over Jay's head.

“Yeah, totally, let’s go with that. You make the cards, and we can do another thing.” He was already up off the chair and grabbing his bag. “Just send me a text when they’re ready. Thanks dude, you rock!”

At that time he was already halfway to the door, leaving his exam paper behind and forgotten.

“Lateeeeeeer~!” he called back, only to get another shush from the librarian.

((Jay Harland continued somewhere that isn't as boring as a library))
Program VAM3RICA

Second Second Chances

backslash
Winner

May 17th, 2017, 4:51 pm #13

"Sure, but-" The rest of Sebastien's reply was lost in Jay's scramble out the door and the irate look the librarian shot him in the wake of his would-be partner's departure.

Sebastien sat looking at Jay's forgotten paper and notes, quietly absorbed the fact that he didn't even know Jay's phone number, and sighed. He rummaged in his binder for some note cards and set about making the cards anyway, working off of the exam for guidance as to what he should focus on. Nobody would be able to say he hadn't tried as a tutor, at least.

He got a few cards finished before the bell for his next class rang, and he threw a casual wave Yumi's way when he noticed her glancing curiously over at him before he left.

He considered handing over the flash cards with a note that read something like Top Ten Things Jay Harland Should Be Looking At Instead of His Phone when he finally did finish them and corner Jay somewhere, but he doubted the joke would translate as well as it worked in his head.

((Sebastien Bellamy continued in "Vuja De"))

Aura
Contender
Aura
Contender

May 22nd, 2017, 2:57 pm #14

While the study session moved on, Yumi returned to her story and let herself get lost in the world of Bartimaeus once more.

From his position in midair Mr. Hopkins tossed the cleaver high; flashing as it spun, it arced around a ceiling light and landed handle-first back on his outstretched finger. He caught my eye and winked.

((Yumi Nunes continued elsewhere...))
SOTF-TV v2

[+] Spoiler
SOTF The Program v2:

SOTF Second Chances:

Virtua-SOTF: