Situated across the street from beautiful Creekmore Park, Sweet Bay Coffee provides a scenic view, a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere, and a live band on every Friday night. Their menu boasts hundreds of varieties of coffees, cappuccinos, and frozen mochas, in addition to a variety of other choices. The cafe is also known for its fast wireless connection and comfortable seating, so many a time students can be seen working on their homework or collaborating in study groups here. It's almost as popular a destination for dates.

Sawyer, You're Going out a Youngster

Laurels
Contender
Laurels
Contender

February 15th, 2017, 6:08 pm #1

((Sophie McDowell SC2 Pregame: Start))

Sophie hummed to herself as she tuned her guitar. She listened to the bustle of the customers around Sweet Bay Coffee. Tonight was Open Mic Night, and Sophie knew she had to get on the set list. She had arrived early, before the sign-up sheet was even laid out, so that she could perform early. Each performer would be allowed two songs at maximum in their set, so Sophie had to figure out which songs she'd do before it became her turn.

As she tuned her guitar and enjoyed occasional sips of her herbal tea, she tossed around the songs to play in her mind. She had performed at Sweet Bay in the past, so she didn't want to play the same songs again. That meant no "Little Talks" or "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood," since the crowd here tonight could have heard her play those songs last month. She had a few in mind for tonight: "Scarborough Fair," "Wildest Dreams," "House of the Rising Sun," "California Dreaming," and "Dream a Little Dream of Me" came to mind as songs she had mastered within the last year or so. There was also the temptation to do something more out there, such as an acoustic cover of "Beautiful People" (the Christina version; performers had to play radio edits during these events) or "Tik Tok." Either way, she was wealthy in choices.

Sophie put the guitar back in the case, then had another sip of tea. The show would start soon, so she needed to figure out what she'd play quickly. She hoped it'd be easy. If not, she could just see what felt right when it became her turn.
Characters:
[+] spoiler
Program:
V2:
Brigid Paxton
Louisa Bloom

Prologue:
Rodney Vasicek
Ambrose Lexington

V3:
Pippa Andolini
Nastya Zharkova

TV:
V2:
Asa Rosen
Taylor DeVasher

SC
V1:
Paige Strand
Amber Whimsy

V2:
Sophie McDowell
Brigid Paxton

Cicada Nights
Veteran

February 22nd, 2017, 5:28 am #2

"Hey, what's up?"

((Paris Ardennes continued from The Crow and the Pitcher))

Her name was Sophie, Paris could recall.

Paris had been waiting off to one side of the cafe. He'd been leaning his arms onto an empty chair and his eyes had been closed. He'd noticed a familiar face when his eyes had opened, his eyes had instantly swiveled to inspect her. He'd walked over with a brisk step with his guitar case hanging neatly off the hook of his fingertips.

He took the chair next to her without a word. Then he draped a single arm over the free space of the table, pointed right at her.

"Looks like it's going to be busy tonight," he mused, looking at her with an easy smile. "Should be fun to play for a big crowd, I bet we'll do great." He fell invitingly silent. He'd spoken with this girl before. Paris respected her for her faith, even if she practiced it quietly. She surely wasn't the most devout in His name but Paris understood that and forgave that.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
F20 - Alive
"Your secret's safe with me, Scout's Honor."
- Before - 1 2
- During - 1 2 3 4 5
[+] spoiler
M20 - Alive
"I could probably use the advice."
- Before - 1 2
- During - 1 2 3 4
[+] spoiler
PV3 -
Seosaimhín 'Josie' Lonsdale - "Shh..."
Kendall Thurman - "Fraying and praying through every day... I'm doing my best, y'know?"

TV3 -
Sheila de Mercado - "World's emptier than half, honestly."
Lucille Mercie - "X-O-X-O."
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

G02 - Dead
(Adopted from Laurels)
[+] spoiler
"I wasn't... intimidated, per... say?"
- Memories - 1 - Pregame - 1 2
[+] spoiler
"This happened. All of it."
- Arsenal - Heckler & Koch MP7, ~2.7 cartridges remaining, food and water lost.
- Vital Stats - Fractured left shoulder, fractured left hand knuckles, broken nose, antidepressant discontinuation syndrome, vomit stained shirt. Cause of Death: Prolonged cerebral ischemia due to extended carotid compression.
- Island - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] spoiler

B17 - Dead
(Adopted from Ruggahissy)
[+] spoiler
"I'm excited about seeing a familiar face too."
- Memories - 1 2 3 - Pregame - 1 2 3
[+] spoiler
"We're not going to let them do this to us."
- Arsenal - QSZ-92
- Vital Stats - Shallow shoulder wound, blood stained shirt, collapsed ribs and partially caved chest. Cause of Death: Aortic rupture due to blunt force trauma.
- Island - 1 2
Sprite credit to Yugikun (Rachael Langdon and Paris Ardennes).
My SOTF Main Profile

Laurels
Contender
Laurels
Contender

February 23rd, 2017, 3:08 am #3

"Oh, hey!" Sophie said, smiling as Paris took a seat near her. Paris was a cute guy she had seen around school. He was a musician too, so they had been on good terms in the past.

"Yeah, it looks like a great crowd," Sophie said, looking around the room. "I'm really excited about seeing some familiar faces and some new people as well."

Sophie brushed some hair back and grabbed her tea.

"So, do you know what you're playing? I'm torn between some classic folk songs and some more mid-20th century pop songs."
Characters:
[+] spoiler
Program:
V2:
Brigid Paxton
Louisa Bloom

Prologue:
Rodney Vasicek
Ambrose Lexington

V3:
Pippa Andolini
Nastya Zharkova

TV:
V2:
Asa Rosen
Taylor DeVasher

SC
V1:
Paige Strand
Amber Whimsy

V2:
Sophie McDowell
Brigid Paxton

Cicada Nights
Veteran

February 23rd, 2017, 1:18 pm #4

Paris smiled back, a few of his good teeth catching the light. He watched her appraise the room for a moment before his eye wandered up and down and then away.

"I'm excited about seeing a familiar face too. Always cool to see you around after all, Sophie." He said it without his smile going away. Also it looked like there were already a few new faces streaming in, or maybe just faces of classmates Paris didn't quite remember. He pointed them out idly. Then he tried to remember the songs he'd been considering playing, successfully.

"I don't really know to be honest." He called a waitress, but finished speaking to Sophie before he asked for anything. "Just whatever comes to mind, you know? I like the cut of what you're considering though. Impress the crowd with a familiar classic, good call," and Paris nodded sagely in conclusion.

"I'll have what she's having."
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
F20 - Alive
- Before - 1 2
- During - 1 2 3 4 5
[+] spoiler
M20 - Alive
- Before - 1 2
- During - 1 2 3 4
[+] spoiler
PV3 -
Kendall Thurman - "Fraying and praying through every day... I'm doing my best, y'know?"

TV3 -
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

G02 - Dead
(Adopted from Laurels)
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
- Vital Stats - Fractured left shoulder, fractured left hand knuckles, broken nose, antidepressant discontinuation syndrome, vomit stained shirt. Cause of Death: Prolonged cerebral ischemia due to extended carotid compression.
[+] spoiler

B17 - Dead
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
- Arsenal - QSZ-92
- Vital Stats - Shallow shoulder wound, blood stained shirt, collapsed ribs and partially caved chest. Cause of Death: Aortic rupture due to blunt force trauma.
- Island - 1 2
My SOTF Main Profile

Laurels
Contender
Laurels
Contender

February 24th, 2017, 1:24 am #5

Sophie smirked a bit when Paris told the waitress that he'd have what she was having. She hoped he enjoyed White Ginger and Lemongrass tea, since that was what she ordered. She also remembered the movie that made that line famous and had to make sure he didn't see her laugh at that.

"Good choice," she said. "It's delicious and fragrant."

Sophie took another sip of tea.

"But yeah, I was thinking something like 'Dream a Little Dream of Me'. That song has a lot of covers, so I can probably find a lot of notes of inspiration to take. But, y'know, try to make it my own."

"I could probably do a Mamas and Papas tribute and do 'California Dreaming' too. Big Mama Cass is an inspiration of mine, so I bet it'd work here."
Characters:
[+] spoiler
Program:
V2:
Brigid Paxton
Louisa Bloom

Prologue:
Rodney Vasicek
Ambrose Lexington

V3:
Pippa Andolini
Nastya Zharkova

TV:
V2:
Asa Rosen
Taylor DeVasher

SC
V1:
Paige Strand
Amber Whimsy

V2:
Sophie McDowell
Brigid Paxton

Cicada Nights
Veteran

February 24th, 2017, 2:30 pm #6

Paris nodded once. She'd smirked, she'd said something. It sounded like he'd made a good decision.

"Awesome. Yeah, I just had to try it when I saw you with it."

She took a sip but he couldn't mirror that. He heard her out instead.

"I'm imagining something slow and saucy like the Ella and Louis cover, actually." Paris breathed out of his nose in amusement. "Though I bet you could pull off a jazzy arrangement." He mimicked a few slow, finger cramp-looking chords in midair, then smirked to himself. "I'm pretty interested to see how you end up doing it."

He looked away for a second, glancing into the distance. There was a spot of darkness somewhere in the dimly lit shop.

"... Yeah, it definitely could. You could go for it too. You've got the voice," he said thoughtfully. "How was school today? Bit distracted because of tonight coming up, maybe?"
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
F20 - Alive
- Before - 1 2
- During - 1 2 3 4 5
[+] spoiler
M20 - Alive
- Before - 1 2
- During - 1 2 3 4
[+] spoiler
PV3 -

TV3 -
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

G02 - Dead
(Adopted from Laurels)
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

B17 - Dead
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
- Arsenal - QSZ-92
- Island - 1 2
My SOTF Main Profile

Laurels
Contender
Laurels
Contender

February 25th, 2017, 1:16 am #7

Sophie nodded when Paris talked about the Ella and Louis version of the song.

"Yeah, that would be good, but I'd need a partner for that one. Plus, I don't know anyone who can sound like Ella. I mean, I'm sure I can do Louis."

Sophie coughed a bit to clear her throat.

"The colors of the rainbow," she began to sing in the deepest voice she could muster. "So pretty in the sky."

Sophie coughed a bit again. She couldn't speak that low pitched, and trying to talk like Louis Armstrong singing "What a Wonderful World" made her protrude her neck chords and flatten her mouth in a weird shape. She was sure she looked really weird, and that the way she sounded didn't sound at all close to Louis Armstrong.

"Sorry, just a weird thought," she told Paris.

"But as for school, it's fine. I wasn't thinking of tonight too much. I mean, I guess I found myself wishing I was here while in a tedious math lecture today, but it was fine. Same old, same old, really."
Characters:
[+] spoiler
Program:
V2:
Brigid Paxton
Louisa Bloom

Prologue:
Rodney Vasicek
Ambrose Lexington

V3:
Pippa Andolini
Nastya Zharkova

TV:
V2:
Asa Rosen
Taylor DeVasher

SC
V1:
Paige Strand
Amber Whimsy

V2:
Sophie McDowell
Brigid Paxton

Cicada Nights
Veteran

February 27th, 2017, 1:52 pm #8

"I'm a little lamb, who's lost in the wood. I know I could, always be good," he sung with tinny smoothness.

"To one who'll watch, over me." His falsetto rung clear, and he kept his eyes on Sophie the entire time. The high voice made his prominent Adams Apple slide up, away, and vanish until he was done with his bit of singing.

"I thought you were pretty good with the bassy grumble. But I think we'd both have to practice a little more if we wanted to try a real duet," he mused. "But I really think we could definitely pull it off." He smirked, and offered her a flash of thumbs up.

"I don't think it's a weird thought," he said with a shrug. "It would definitely be interesting and I'd love to try if you would."

"But yeah." The conversation changed topics smoothly. "Bit too same old same old sometimes, isn't it? I think we're all just counting down the hours until graduation, maybe. Until it's tedious math lectures in college instead of high school," he laughed. "I recall you mentioning something about an art school?" He didn't know for sure, it was just what he vaguely remembered about her and her face.
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
F20 - Alive
- Before - 1 2
- During - 1 2 3 4 5
[+] spoiler
M20 - Alive
- Before - 1 2
- During - 1 2 3 4
[+] spoiler
PV3 -

TV3 -
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

G02 - Dead
(Adopted from Laurels)
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

B17 - Dead
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
- Arsenal - QSZ-92
- Island - 1 2
My SOTF Main Profile

Laurels
Contender
Laurels
Contender

February 28th, 2017, 7:11 pm #9

Sophie giggled a bit when Paris tried his best to sing like Ella Fitzgerald. It was surprisingly good, at least compared to her Louis Armstrong.

"Well, now I'm definitely doing 'Dream a Little Dream for me'," she said to Paris. "Thanks for helping me decide that."

Sophie nodded as she grabbed her cup of tea.

"And yeah, I'm looking at an art college. Something like NYU or VCU, where I can study music but also look into a backup. I was thinking an education degree so I could teach music or singing if I can't make it as a musician."

"But man, I can't wait for school to end. I'm just ready to bust out of Denton and take over the world."
Characters:
[+] spoiler
Program:
V2:
Brigid Paxton
Louisa Bloom

Prologue:
Rodney Vasicek
Ambrose Lexington

V3:
Pippa Andolini
Nastya Zharkova

TV:
V2:
Asa Rosen
Taylor DeVasher

SC
V1:
Paige Strand
Amber Whimsy

V2:
Sophie McDowell
Brigid Paxton

Cicada Nights
Veteran

March 1st, 2017, 2:07 am #10

Paris nodded to himself in satisfaction. "You're welcome," he replied simply.

His copycat order of tea finally arrived, he took a moment of silence to loudly murmur grace to himself. In his normal voice, not his Ella Fitzgerald voice. Then he took a sip, and it wasn't that bad, though it also wasn't really that good or worth the money he'd paid. He abandoned the glass.

"Oh, that sounds cool. Some of the big names." Paris shrugged a bit. "I didn't do so much research into those particular types of colleges, not the right sort of fit for me!" He appraised her for a second, scanning at her exposed bits of skin. "I bet you'll fit in perfect in that sort of environment though. Cool sorts of folks out there, and I'm glad you'll have the opportunity to continue expanding your musical skills and elevating them, you know. To the next level."

He raised a fist slightly into the air. Solidarity. "I hear you on that. Denton was a nice audience but the rest of the world deserves to hear what we have to say."
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
F20 - Alive
- Before - 1 2
- During - 1 2 3 4 5
[+] spoiler
M20 - Alive
- Before - 1 2
- During - 1 2 3 4
[+] spoiler
PV3 -

TV3 -
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

G02 - Dead
(Adopted from Laurels)
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

B17 - Dead
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
- Arsenal - QSZ-92
- Island - 1 2
My SOTF Main Profile

Laurels
Contender
Laurels
Contender

March 2nd, 2017, 4:49 am #11

"Yeah, I do have a lot to say," Sophie said. "I mean, I'm still working that out. The last few original songs I wrote and performed on my channel were about love in the nebulous form. I could try for something more grounded."

Sophie brushed some hair back.

"But anyways, so I'm doing 'Dream a Little Dream of Me' and probably 'California Dreaming.' What about you? What has Paris Ardennes chosen for his set list tonight?"
Characters:
[+] spoiler
Program:
V2:
Brigid Paxton
Louisa Bloom

Prologue:
Rodney Vasicek
Ambrose Lexington

V3:
Pippa Andolini
Nastya Zharkova

TV:
V2:
Asa Rosen
Taylor DeVasher

SC
V1:
Paige Strand
Amber Whimsy

V2:
Sophie McDowell
Brigid Paxton

Cicada Nights
Veteran

March 3rd, 2017, 3:34 am #12

"Maybe you could, yeah." It was a good suggestion, Paris mused for a really brief second. A self-aware, self-critical sort of suggestion, that sort of thing. He nodded along and then stopped suddenly.

"Something like 'Roundabout' or 'Owner of a Lonely Heart'. Those songs are a bit weird for my voice but it'll be interesting to try."

Paris Ardennes hadn't clearly picked out songs for his set so he spent a few moments of silence musing on it. Then he remembered Sophie was still there sitting with him. He gestured at the drippy condensation of cup of tea next to his arm.

"Weird flavor." He then remembered something else. "Where are you going to put yourself on the sign up sheet tonight, up first?"

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
F20 - Alive
- Before - 1 2
- During - 1 2 3 4 5
[+] spoiler
M20 - Alive
- Before - 1 2
- During - 1 2 3 4
[+] spoiler
PV3 -

TV3 -
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

G02 - Dead
(Adopted from Laurels)
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

B17 - Dead
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
- Arsenal - QSZ-92
- Island - 1 2
My SOTF Main Profile

Laurels
Contender
Laurels
Contender

March 5th, 2017, 1:56 am #13

Sophie raised an eyebrow at Paris' response to the tea. She shrugged and ignored it. Everyone had different taste, so maybe it worked for her but not for him. What did matter was that Paris asked her about the set list.

"Oh, I signed up when I got here," Sophie said. "I'm first on the list."

Sophie pointed over to a nearby table.

"It's over there. Have you signed up yet?"
Characters:
[+] spoiler
Program:
V2:
Brigid Paxton
Louisa Bloom

Prologue:
Rodney Vasicek
Ambrose Lexington

V3:
Pippa Andolini
Nastya Zharkova

TV:
V2:
Asa Rosen
Taylor DeVasher

SC
V1:
Paige Strand
Amber Whimsy

V2:
Sophie McDowell
Brigid Paxton

Cicada Nights
Veteran

March 5th, 2017, 9:24 pm #14

Sophie did something with her shoulders but Paris didn't really pay attention to the gist of it.

"Oh, whoops. I hadn't realized they'd already opened sign ups," he said. "Hmf, I wasn't paying so much attention. So no, I guess I haven't signed up yet! I should go and do that now." He stepped away from his chair and went to put his name on the list, then he came back with a pen very similar to the sign up pen spinning between the two longest fingers of his right hand. He sat back down.

"Two songs, hu? Do you think the slots will have enough time? They looked a bit short this time around."
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
F20 - Alive
- Before - 1 2
- During - 1 2 3 4 5
[+] spoiler
M20 - Alive
- Before - 1 2
- During - 1 2 3 4
[+] spoiler
PV3 -

TV3 -
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

G02 - Dead
(Adopted from Laurels)
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

B17 - Dead
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
- Arsenal - QSZ-92
- Island - 1 2
My SOTF Main Profile

Laurels
Contender
Laurels
Contender

March 6th, 2017, 12:33 am #15

Sophie smirked a bit as Paris left to go sign up. She would have thought he'd go for the sign up sheet as soon as he arrived at the coffee shop. At least, that's what she did. It didn't matter. He'd be on a little after her, but at least he'd still get to play tonight. Sophie took another sip of tea as Paris returned and questioned the time.

"I figure they'd let everyone go," Sophie said. "I mean, they can yank away the sheet at a certain time and let that be it. Or heck, they could even keep the cafe open a little while longer."

Sophie brushed some hair back.

"And hey, if you are worried, you could pick shorter songs. The songs I'm playing aren't even three minutes long."
Characters:
[+] spoiler
Program:
V2:
Brigid Paxton
Louisa Bloom

Prologue:
Rodney Vasicek
Ambrose Lexington

V3:
Pippa Andolini
Nastya Zharkova