Risk of Rain

Espi
Veteran
Espi
Veteran

December 26th, 2013, 1:52 am #1

((Lucy Williams' story continues from The Juicy Lucy))

Lucy was in a hurry.

The clouds were ominously looming, and it was definitely going to rain. Her mom's garden might appreciate it, but Lucy was a not-insignificant distance from her house and carrying a bag full of groceries, so getting caught in a downpour would really, really, really suck.

The streets were pretty crowded today, which made navigation a bit of a challenge since Lucy was being weighed down by V-8 and cream cheese. She was used to maneuvering around people like this though, and a few quick apologies on near misses seemed fairly well-received. Still, she needed to hurry to avoid the risk of rain.

So she hurried. She was so close, too, and she could almost definitely make it to the treetops covering her street in time to avoid a soaking. Only a few blocks to go...

At least until her foot caught on a stone, causing Lucy to stumble and inevitably fall forward.

Slamming right into...
[+] Spoiler
Lucy Williams: He had a point
Riley Parker: Flew too close to the gun
[+] Spoiler
Nate Chauncey: in a void
Clio Gabriella: Blew her top

Kween in Yella
Contender

December 26th, 2013, 2:08 am #2

((Gabriel Munez Start))

Gabriel didn't really mind the rain. Not usually. Usually it meant it was more comfortable outside, since most other people were inside hiding from the rain.

Today was an exception. A miscalculation. He regretted that. Still, they needed food, and he was the only certain way he was going to get it. Relying on his mother for basic needs was like playing Russian Roulette: statistically safe, but realistically idiotic.

He trudged along carrying bags full of groceries with his hoodie up and his head down. With good fortune he'd be back home soon, and there wouldn't be anymore hiccups this evening.

Lady Luck showed just how few fucks she gave about Gabriel today in the form of a small blonde missile crashing into his chest.

He dropped his bags and collapsed in a heap under the stumbling girl. For a moment he was silent. His head craned up over his chest, and he glared down at her. As he caught his breath, he rasped down at her.

"Why the fuck would you do that?"

Espi
Veteran
Espi
Veteran

December 26th, 2013, 2:38 am #3

As Lucy toppled over, taking a random guy with her, her grocery bag slipped from her hand and fell to the ground.

As she recovered her wits, Lucy immediately opened her mouth to apologize-something along the lines of, "Oh my god, I'm so sorry! Are you okay?" would do the trick-except she didn't get a chance because the boy responded first.

The vitriol was probably justified given that the boy had randomly been tackled by her, but Lucy was immediately offended. It seemed to her that accidental offenses should not lead to cursing at you. In fact, it kind of annoyed her.

She rolled awkwardly off of his chest, grunting as she landed on the concrete sidewalk. As she sat up, she looked over at the boy and said, "Hey, that was an accident. I'm sorry if I hurt you, but you don't need to be so angry." She dusted off her green vest and started to move towards her grocery bag.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Kween in Yella
Contender

December 26th, 2013, 3:13 am #4

Let her go.

That was the rational thing to do. She wasn't important. He needed to get home. He didn't even know-wait. Yes I do.

His eyes narrowed as she turned away from him. Lucy. That was her name. Some cheerleader chick at Davison. One of those crazy, hyper, social butterfly types. The sort that always seemed to be looking down on him.

She probably ran into him on purpose. She saw him and decided to mess with him. It was a joke. Some kind of prank. Later she'd gossip with her friends about a laugh about how funny it was to bowl him over and possibly break his shit.

There was a split-second of doubt about whether he was letting his fears get the best of him again. His therapist had talked about this. She said he had a habit of "projecting" and throwing negative feelings onto other people that weren't there. Maybe this was just another one of of those cases. Maybe, just maybe, he was over-thinking things.

The image of her laughing at him later flashed through his mind again.

Fuck. That.

The words came in a long, dry drawl. "Yeeeaaaah. You were accidentally running down a crowded street at full tilt. My mistake, sorry for, y'know, walking and shit. I must have missed the rail-road crossing back there, I'll make sure to stay the hell out of the way of Steam Train Lucy from now on."

Espi
Veteran
Espi
Veteran

December 26th, 2013, 2:39 pm #5

Lucy stopped and furrowed her brow as the guy, Gabriel or something like that, started talking again.

She wondered briefly why she'd had to run into this guy of all people. She didn't know much about him, he didn't seem the type to go to her games. He was probably one of those antisocial shut-ins who played video games all day. Not her type.

Still, she wanted to diffuse the situation, maybe calm him down if she could. She still didn't want to get caught in the upcoming downpour.

"Look, I don't know what your problem is, but I was in a hurry and I ran into you. It's no big deal, you don't need to get so angry about it." She felt a tiny droplet of rain plop onto her head as the clouds thickened. She reached out to her shopping bag as she continued. "So like, sorry, but take a chill pill."

She had a momentary thought, that she was probably not in the right here, but Lucy wasn't about to let some weirdo tell her off like this.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Kween in Yella
Contender

December 26th, 2013, 7:27 pm #6

He looked down at his discarded bags. He could see the egg yolk pooling in the bottom of the one to his right. That just pissed him off more. She broke his shit, and now she's telling him to chill out? What an inconsiderate bitch.

Gabriel turned back to her and cocked an eyebrow. "Chill? I'm frosty. Last I checked, I'm not the one gut-checking random assholes. You're all confused, niña. You're a cheerleader, not a fuckin' linebacker."

He was tired of this, and the rain was coming down. He waved dismissively. "Not like you give a fuck anyway, right? Book it, if you're out here for long it'll ruin your looks, and it'd be a shame to lose the one thing you've got goin' for you."

Espi
Veteran
Espi
Veteran

December 27th, 2013, 3:41 am #7

Don't do it.

Lucy bit her lip.

Don't get angry.

She took a deep breath.

He called you a moron, a brainless beauty, he doesn't know you at all, he's just throwing things at you to see what hurts.

She stood up and grabbed her bag, digging through it to check the contents. The cream cheese container had fallen open and the cheese was crushed. The juice, too.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt-

"Shut up you waste of space, you don't know shit about me. I'm not some fucking bimbo, but even if I was at least I'd have something going for me, which I can't say for you. Not to mention, were you off in la-la-land with your imaginary friends, your only friends I imagine, too busy to fucking pay attention to avoid the person hurrying?"

"I suppose your mommy and daddy love you very much. Probably the only ones given your attitude."

The rain had finally came down.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Kween in Yella
Contender

December 27th, 2013, 4:31 am #8

Gabriel smiled at her tirade at first, but his face went cold at the mention of his parents.

That was it. Before, he was irritated. Just working out a little bit of frustration. She'd changed that, though. He could feel his control slipping. The scar on his stomach ached, like it was trying to remind him what a mistake letting go was.

He didn't care. This bitch was getting both barrels. He stared into her eyes as the drops of moisture began to soak both of them.

"I don't know shit about you? Please. Lucy Williams. Cheerleader, party chick, all around bubbly pain in the ass who likes to butt in where she's not wanted a lot. We've had like five classes together. Everybody knows you, you make real fuckin' sure of that. Here's the real joke, though: I'd be floored if more than a few people actually liked you. Know why? Because you're easy to use, and goddamn do people use you. Take a quick check of your friends, niña. How many of 'em put half as much effort into makin' you happy as you do for them?"

He didn't wait for a reply. He just pushed forward, letting the slowly rising patter of the rain accent his words.

"But you don't know a fuckin' thing about me. If you did, you'd know I don't have a daddy, I got to watch him get buried years ago. He was busy making sure stupid bitches like you were free to keep living their blissfully vapid lives. You don't give a shit about that though, and you don't give a shit about me, because really, I don't think you give a shit about anybody. You just like the attention, and if we can't give you that, then I guess we're just wastes of space for you to bulldoze whenever the fuck you want."

With that, he cocked his head in mock curiosity. "Did any of that register? Or did I lose you at vapid?"

Espi
Veteran
Espi
Veteran

December 27th, 2013, 2:23 pm #9

Lucy stared at him for a moment, wide-eyed. It hurt, what he'd said, it hurt a lot. Lucy considered all her friends to be important people in her life, so his accusations hurt. She tried to be nice, she tried to make people like her, but it wasn't because she wanted attention, she just-just didn't want people to hate her.

She probably should've walked away. But by now, she'd completely lost composure, and she was a bottle of unstable emotion.

She wanted to cry. She never cried. So instead, she decided to return fire in the now heavy downpour. "Oh yeah, you registered. Lemme offer a counterpoint."

She took a deep breath. "So you seem to think I'm a dumb blonde with shallow relationships? Well at least I have something, if what you say is true. At least I have something, whereas you? I don't think you have a single person in your life who gives a shit about you. You say people take advantage of me? At least I make people happy, because I don't think you make other people anything but miserable and angry, just like you."

Lucy wiped water from her face. "And as for your poor dead daddy? Well that's tragic, but it's nothing unique. How many people die doing good things in the military or whatever? You're nothing special, and so many people have lost more than you. I bet they have a support group to talk about your melodrama though, so there's that."

"You say I don't give a shit about anyone, but if that's the case, I don't think you do either. No friends, no relationships, I never see you talk to anyone at school, nobody ever says, 'I'm gonna hang out with Gabriel'. You have no life, and you'll never amount to shit, especially with your personality."

She smiled almost sweetly. "For the record? I'm a straight-A student and already have scholarship offers. So you can cut the dumb blonde thing you keep going back to. I'm probably smarter than you."

Lucy looked around. A few people stopped and stared as their voices escalated, but most everyone walked past.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Kween in Yella
Contender

December 27th, 2013, 7:35 pm #10

Her counter-point made him smile. It was the same smile that generally crept into his face just before a fight broke out. It was cold, passionless, and yet somehow eager. It was the grin of a predator about to pounce, of a gambler prepared to take the pot, of a boy with something to prove about to throw the first punch.

"Don't pretend you know me. You think I have nothing? You think I'm just some pathetic loner that nobody gives a fuck about? I mean, Jesus, listen to yourself. That fits so perfectly into your little fantasy world, doesn't it?"

He paused and chuckled at the thought. "You think just because I don't do shit at school I've got nothing? Let me educate you: there's a real world. One a helluva lot bigger than you're dumbass games and parties. That's where I do my shit. While you're sleeping off your hangovers on Saturday morning, I'm lacing up to clear out a fire site, or sling soup at the shelter, or just give some vacant old homeless guy someone to talk to for awhile. And yeah, I don't like him, and yeah, we're not buddies or anything, but who gives a shit? I'm not in it for the attention, unlike you."

He shook his head, his posture relaxing as he prepared for the final blow. "You make straight A's? So do I. So here's the million dollar question, niña: I use mine to make a difference."

There was a brief pause as he looked into her eyes.

"What the fuck do you do?"

Espi
Veteran
Espi
Veteran

December 27th, 2013, 9:23 pm #11

Nothing.

Lucy did nothing.

She didn't do anything good with her life, she didn't contribute to society, she didn't volunteer, she did nothing. Nothing like this guy. She couldn't argue with that; she just couldn't.

He won.

"I..." But there wasn't anything to say.

So she stood there, mouth open, a loser, with nothing to say back, humiliated and demeaned as her clothes soaked with water and her makeup started to run.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Kween in Yella
Contender

December 27th, 2013, 9:43 pm #12

He just nodded and picked up his bags.

"See you around, niña. I gotta be gettin' back to the rest of the wastes of space."

Gabriel didn't mind the rain. The crowded streets had started to clear as it poured down around them, as people sought shelter. Gabriel didn't run from it, though, and he wasn't looking down anymore. That conversation had been a mistake, but he'd do it again. It left him feeling strong. Proud. Vindicated.

It wouldn't last long, so he was going to savor it while it did. He walked off with his head up high, and glanced back at the girl behind him. The rain had begun to ruin her make-up.

Good.

((Gabriel Munez continued in Choices(and the hardships they apply)))

Espi
Veteran
Espi
Veteran

December 27th, 2013, 10:36 pm #13

Lucy watched Gabriel walk away with a blank expression.

It was only after he was gone that tears streamed down her face and she slumped to the ground, sniffling and blinking, completely drenched. She wiped her eyes, smearing mascara and pink eyeliner around on her face.

Eventually, after a couple moments, she recovered her composure enough to stand up and walk away, leaving the mess of bags on the ground.

((Lucy Williams' story continues in Let's Go Bowling))
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler