I Can Hear the Bells

The abandoned, dusty streets of the ghost town... outside, it almost feels like the world is holding its breath. Watch out for tumbleweed. * THREAD COUNT: 1 *

I Can Hear the Bells

Mimi
Rookie
Mimi
Rookie

November 3rd, 2011, 12:36 am #1

Pepper Clarke, female no. 23, START

She tried to ignore the fear, tried to will herself back to Alderbrook’s sleepy streets and unlocked doors, back to normalcy. There were times growing up where she’d cursed the so-called hovel of an apartment complex, disdain for the small rooms and the creaky floors and the ever present smell of musk biting at her very core, but now, more than ever, there was no place she’d rather be. She wanted to wake up in her own bed, greeted to the morning by Elphaba’s coy smile and the intoxicating smell of bacon dancing through her nostrils.

But Pepper Clarke wasn’t home, nor would she be home come tomorrow morning or the morning after, if it even came. Her bed would remain empty, her poster of Wicked’s Elphaba nary a soul to greet. Instead, Pepper found herself in some god-forsaken town, surrounded by a god-forsaken desert that she assumed was full of some sort of god-forsaken creatures. She was certain that dreams came to this place to die, it’d make sense for her to be here if that were the case.

Frequently, Pepper considered herself foil to Tracy Turnblad, the equally ‘plump’ heroine of Hairspray—Pepper’s absolute favorite movie and musical. To Tracy’s success, confidence, and popularity, Pepper had the opposite. Instead of Corny Collin’s once-in-a-lifetime opportunities, Pepper was surrounding by the grim expanse of the deserted town, feverishly trying to bat her assigned daypack off the arm of a dilapidated lantern post with a stick as she fought back the tears threatening to surface.

It was useless.

Defeated, Pepper let the stick collapse to the dusty ground before collapsing to her own knees, relishing the dull burn of the blistering sun. It was useless, she didn’t know why she was even trying. Girls like her didn’t make it, in real life nor in whatever twisted game the man on the train was talking about. He’d said that they were supposed to kill each other, supposed to extinguish each other’s flames. Pepper couldn’t do that and she knew it. Nobody else would either, right? She was sure they wouldn’t.

Or at least that’s what she told herself, although every so often a warm breeze would make the decrepit town erupt in a harmony of clatter. And each time, Pepper’s heart would sink, expecting to turn around and be face to face with the barrel of a classmates gun. And it’d be over. No more Pepper. Gone just like that and nobody would even care, except maybe Maw-Maw.

Pepper buried her face in her hands, partially an escape from the unforgiving sun and partially as an escape from reality. It works when you’re a little kid, so why not now? If you can’t see them, they can’t see you, that’s how it works.

GOLD HYENAS 1
GENESIS BRADLEY-BAKER

Caporacolo

November 3rd, 2011, 12:36 pm #2

[Male n.15: Tito Simonin]: Start

Is this really happening? Unbelievable, a rational person like Tito would say. Maybe he's right, maybe not, but judging this situation would not be productive at all.
Sure is that he and all his classmates just found themselves in this "game", and all they know is that...this is for real!

Been walking around for a while, Tito gets to the Ghost Town following his map indications. The climate is hot and dry, as anyone would expect in a desert, but unlike his canadian classmates, he tolerates much more the sunny hot days, very usual in Rome. Anyway, the first things he did as soon as he entered this "kill'em all game" were pulling up the bottom of his jeans and tying up his hoodie to the waist, just to avoid sweating too much.
Surely they were given enough rations to survive the desert, but taking more precautions can only be good.

"Ma che gioco di merda dovrebbe essere questo...come fanno a chiamarlo un maledetto gioco?" (What a sh*tty game is this...how do they call this a game?). Of course, even though he already spent some years in Canada, he still thinks and uses italian language when "speaking alone".
"Perché mai dovrei rendermi partecipe di un massacro?" (Why should i take a role in a massacre?)
Well, nobody knows, and probabilities suggest that he wouldn't be able to answer that question...

The stress is obviously enough to compromise most people's ability to think well, but this is a burden Tito can bear, altough it's not easy as he may show up.
And this is why he just stops, staring at the eerie and creepy landscapes in front of his eyes. A classic Old West town, quite small, desolated, in the middle of a desert forgotten by God.
The streets seems wide though and hard to cover only with eyesight. Anyway, Tito opens his backpack to see what else, other than the map, compass and rations he already checked. He finds a first aid kid, a torch and...a bag of glitter?!?!
"E che cazzo dovrei farci con questo? Sarebbe la mia arma?" (What should i do with this? Is this supposed to be my weapon?). Of course it is and it's hard to believe it would just be an effective "weapon".

However, time passes and every minute is a treasure in that place. So, after setting up his backpack, with the map in his hand, continues his way in the streets of the ghost town, just to see, after a pair of minutes walking, a person, a girl. She is there, on his knees, and also a guy with Aspergers like him could see that she's desperate.
Easy to understand and also to sympathise with it.

Cautious as always, he stops some meters away from her and rapidly start to think what to do.
"Pensa, Tito, pensa." (Think, Tito, think.) Keeps saying in his mind. What anyone would do in a situation like that? How can you know she won't attack you? Trusting people isn't Tito's best ability, but making good choices usually is. She doesn't seem to have a threatening weapon and usually two people are better than just one in many situations and also, she's just a girl.

"Hey there, get up and stop crying please..."

He knows it's hard, but he HAS to show some self-consciousness and autority to try calming that girl. He slowly puts down his backpack and so he bows and spread his arms widely.
He shows himself disarmed but of course he still is, considering his ability in close-combat and a little girl is not going to harm him that way.

Anyway, Tito feels a little tension, and maybe he still hasn't gotten completely into this difficult problem to solve, but giving a try in helping Pepper seems the best thing to do at the moment.
VIRTUA SotF

Male n.15: Tito Simonin

Weapons: Bag of Glitter (Designed), Wooden Staff (taken from an old broom in a house)

Mimi
Rookie
Mimi
Rookie

November 6th, 2011, 12:52 am #3

Pepper didn’t hear Tito approaching through the ringing in her ears. Her stomach felt as if it were doing backflips, a heavy lump forming in her throat as nausea overtook her form. The unbearably dry heat did little to alleviate the storm in her stomach, she could practically feel the burn spreading across the nape of her neck. Had she been a little more confident in her appearance, she’d have taken her bulky sweater off and fend off the heat that way, but Pepper was positive that she was already beginning to resemble a lobster and she certainly didn’t need to look like a disgusting whale on top of it.

One sea creature was enough for her.

"Hey there, get up and stop crying please..."

Startled by Tito’s sudden appearance, Pepper scrambled to her feet, instinctually covering her beating heart with her hand, as if to prevent it from popping right out of her chest. A wave of anxiety spread over the timid girl as she tried to coerce words from her mouth, ironically resulting in a small squeak from the otherwise large girl.

She knew of Tito, though just his name and that he was from Italy or some European country. Which, admittedly, wasn’t surprising given that Pepper rarely spoke to anyone that wasn’t Delilah or Holly. In fact, she wasn’t even sure if Tito knew who she was. She doubted it, not many people really paid much attention to her.

Wrapping her arms around herself, Pepper painfully managed to squeak out a response, “I-I’m not crying,” she said, quickly dabbing below her eye to make sure before returning her arms to their safe position.

She noticed he had his bag with him and quickly shot a glance up at hers, which seemed a mile away to the short girl, though she didn’t dare ask him to get it down for her, he’d surely laugh at her for being so incapable.

GOLD HYENAS 1
GENESIS BRADLEY-BAKER

kervin555
Rookie

November 6th, 2011, 4:18 am #4

(Patrick Reynolds continued from The Funniest Joke in the World)

Patrick looked around the empty streets of the town, appropriately marked the "Ghost Town" on the map. A roll of tumbleweed went by and Patrick couldn't help but stare at it. The more time he spent in the Zone, the more surreal it seemed. At least he wouldn't have to deal with the surreality of his situation alone. Benny and Ramona were with him at least, and that was already more than he could ask for.

They had spent untold amounts of time following the train tracks leading south. Patrick had tried to act enthusiastic the whole way, but had stopped talking so much to the other two after the first hour of travel. Talking while walking for hours wasn't the most comfortable of activities. Not to mention the fact that he'd been tripping over his feet on rocks the entire duration of the journey.

Wish I'd worn boots, instead, he thought sorely.

But they'd made it to the town. And lo and behold, it was entirely empty. But at least, Patrick could act enthusiastic again.

"All right!" He said cheerily. "We made it to town. So, I believe the thing to do now is to go searching for things, yeah?"

Patrick walked a bit more, and he noticed sobbing noises. A tall, pale boy was leaning over a red-haired chubby girl, the source of the sobbing. Patrick recognized them both.

The boy was Tito Something-or-other, the Italian kid that knew kung fu. Truth be told, Patick didn't know much about him but hopefully this little situation they found themselves in would change that. Patrick loved making friends, after all. From what he'd heard though, he seemed an okay guy. The girl was someone that Patrick knew a bit better. Pepper Clarke, the scarlett-maned girl was one of the nicest people he knew at school. Despite constant teasing about her weight, Pepper never seemed to hold any malice toward anyone. Patrick liked that about her. The girl loved theatre, too, so that was a plus.

"Hey, Pepper! Tito!" Patrick waved at them with both his arms, almost flailing them in the air. He ran over to them, still enthused. It looked like the Theatre Trio were finding nice people, and that was always a plus. Besides, he bet that the Trio could cheer Pepper up. The girl looked like she could use some friends right about now.
Mini Characters
Virtua SOTF - F05: Renee Murphy - GAME OVER - Tec-9, H&K MP5 - "Are you going to talk to me this time? "Well, now or never, right?"
Threads: Holding Out For A Hero > Inexplicable > Rebel Without a Clue > While Rome Burns > Far From Home > Breaking Point > Swan Song > Still Red > Last of the Alderbrooks

Virtua SOTF - M16: Patrick Reynolds - GAME OVER - 2x Molotov Cocktails - "Um, I think we're lost." "Is that odd? Handsome guy like me and he doesn't have a girlfriend?
Threads: The Funniest Joke in the World > I Can Hear the Bells > From Where You're Kneeling
[+] spoiler

Renee Murphy by ViolentMedic

Renee Murphy by Mimi
[+] spoiler
wrote:23:00 Dano: Hmmm
23:00 Rugga_dialtone: This is super healthy right here
23:00 Dano: How much darker than dark is darkest
23:01 Kilmarnock: Very.
23:01 kervin555: Darkest is max dark, man
23:01 Dano: Well then
23:01 Dano: mathmatically speaking
23:01 Dano: i can't see in the dark with my glasses on, but i have my glasses off, and since a negative times a negative is a positive
23:02 Dano: i should be able to see no problem, right?
23:02 Kilmarnock: Nope, sorry.
23:02 Kilmarnock: The modifier just keeps increasing until you can't see, even on a 20.
23:02 Dano: But math!
23:02 bacon: Should, but life is stupid like that.
23:02 kervin555: Actually, using real math, this should be addition not multiplication.
23:02 kervin555: Glasses add on to your vision, not multiply it.
23:02 fanatic: we prefer to use imaginary math
23:02 bacon: Imaginary?
23:03 Rugga_dialtone: What if I die before the thousand years is up?
23:03 Dano: It works in my favour more often than real math
23:03 fanatic: the land of pretend bacon
23:03 bacon multiplies everything by the square root of negative three.
23:05 kervin555: I just saved this conversation and am in the process of sigging it.
23:05 Rugga_dialtone: Oh goodness
23:05 Dano: Shit
23:06 Dano: That
23:06 Dano: will steal my soul
23:06 Dano: like an internet camera
23:06 Kilmarnock: Oh, you won't die...
23:06 Rugga_dialtone: I'm in so many sigs that would make me a souless she devil
23:06 kervin555: ...I'm saving that, too.
wrote:23:11 fanatic: no halbo signature
23:12 kervin555: What do you mean no hablo signature?
23:12 Dano: he doesn't speak signature
23:12 Dano: or spanish
23:12 fanatic: it's Venduvian for "I can't see the signature"
23:13 *** CondorTalon quit (Client exited)
23:13 Dano: Venduvian? Like, from Venus?
23:13 kervin555: No hablo signature means "I can't speak signature" in a not very well literate way.
23:13 fanatic: No from Venduvia
23:13 Dano: Sailor Venduvia!
23:13 kervin555: I'm so tempted to sig that.

Caporacolo

November 6th, 2011, 2:48 pm #5

The girl was completely desperate, and surely was hard for her to keep on that way.

"I know you're not crying, but stop being so desperate and make a smile!"

The tone of his voice sounded reassuring and calm, anyway, the tension was really killing him inside.
So he continued:

"You can't stay here, it's not safe. You are an easy target in this open place and you can come with me. I'm not going to hurt you..."

Of course he won't hurt her, that would be just stupid, at least for now. Teaming up would be a double-sided weapon, all depending on the other team mate, but could have been a good way to start this game.
So he slowly walked to her, keeping his arms in front of him, ready to counter-attack in the case it was needed.
His right hand moved forward, ready to be taken by the girl as a sign of support.

"Now you get up, we go get your bag over there and we move outta here as soon as possible...uhm...girl"

Yeah, he didn't remember her name, he probably heard it just once, maybe twice, but that was the last problem in that situation.

Suddenly a voice, a male voice, instantly freezed Tito's body. Instinctively he made few passes next to the girl and turned around, in the direction where the voice came from. That way, he had in his visual field both the girl and...THREE GUYS!?!?
He goggled at them and his heart started beating up very fast. Probably they had no intention to harm them, but nobody could know.

"Hi there..." He said with a tedious voice.

He knew them, or at least, he figured out who they were. The problem was only one, the guy named Patrick started to run to the couple. It sure was a brainless move, and who knew what weapon could the guy carry with him?

"Stop there and don't come any further. I'm asking you with good intentions".

Tito rapidly bent down to get his bag near him, taking it up while standing again.

"What are your intentions?"

Maybe, he showed himself a little rude, but precaution is never enough.

He then directed a fast glance at Pepper, just to bring his eyes again on Patrick.
The situation was becoming tough...
VIRTUA SotF

Weapons: Bag of Glitter (Designed), Wooden Staff (taken from an old broom in a house)

Brackie
Veteran
Brackie
Veteran

November 6th, 2011, 4:07 pm #6

((Ramona Shirley continues from The Funniest Joke in the World))

Walking sucked. Ramona didn't complain about much in her life, at least not recently, so this was her one exception. She'd been walking for ages even before she found these two lovebugs, and she'd been walking on burning heels ever since they headed off. As she followed Benny and Patrick, she rubbed the back of her neck to find it glistened with sweat. Yep, this sure was a party.

Although there was an odd calmness about her as she entered the empty town. Maybe it was the safety it ensured. Wide open area, no places for anyone mean to hide out, it was perfect. She could almost quite literally have sung with joy, but keeping quiet and conserving her energy was the better choice here. If she even got through one verse of Lady is a Tramp she'd probably pass out.

Ramona smiled right as they walked into the town, nodding slightly at Patrick's sentiments.

"That sounds about right, hun, but we gotta stay safe. I think I'm..." Ramona let out a large sigh, "...not gonna stand it much longer out here." As she and Benny followed Patrick through, she pulled out a bottle from her bag, mineral water it seemed, and sculled it down like a hoover downing a pile of dust and dirt. It had an odd twang to it, like it wasn't water. Either way it was wet and refreshing, so it didn't matter too much.

It wasn't long until Patrick started running off again. Ramona would have berated him, but as soon as she saw what he saw, she was at his heels after him (just a bit slower, of course).

Two more of their classmates - Tito, that Italian-or-something kid who she never spoke to, basically a rare case in her book, and Pepper, the sweet girl whom there was almost nothing bad to say about, at least Ramona didn't think so. When you run into a soul as sweet and as kind as Pepper, you begin to see hope in the world.

As was the case here, when Ramona finally caught up to Patrick. Tito was telling them to stay back, asking them what they were doing there. Ramona gave the boy a look as though he had asked her to hire a concubine right in front of the baby Jesus - she was a girl who did not like being told what she could and could not do, especially in a situation like this. Did he think he was going to force her to stand idly by while someone was in need of comfort?

Of course, Ramona barely paid any attention to his "warnings". Pepper was crying, and the poor young lady needed comforting. She walked past Patrick, ready to handle this the Ramona Way.

"Let me handle this Patrick, apparently this boy needs to know who we are."

She turned back from Patrick to Tito, cleared her throat, placed her hands on her hips, and spoke out almost as loudly as she dressed

"Now. I'm gonna tell you once. There is one person, and ONLY one person on God's green earth, who tells Ramona Shirley what to do, and that is Mister Cliff Shirley, the man who did not raise his daughter to stand down to every man who told her what to do. You, Tito, are gonna get out of our way so we can go and comfort a distraught little missus, or so help me you're gonna wish that our intentions were not so peaceful and lovely. You got that?"
The Program 2.5 - Traitors

Santiago Ibarra - Butterfly Knife

Nani Clover - Plastic Scythe

[+] spoiler
Battle Royale AU - A Second Chance
Yoshio - Cause of Death: 'sploded - 15/42
Yuko - Cause of Death: Lack of Faith - 32/42
The Program - v1 - Young Patriots
Chanel - ♡ - 51/53
♥ -
Matthew - ☿ - 27/53
- - -
SOTF TV - v1 - Our Main Cast
Holly - Thuck the game. - 58/66
Ω - Ω - Ω
Anna - [redacted]. - 21/66
© - © - © - © - © - © - ©
VIRTUA SOTF - The Players
Ramona - Boom. - 40/47
- -
Cameo - Gasp. - 7/47
Ø - Ø - Ø - Ø - [url=http://s1.zetaboards.com/SOTF_Mini/topic/4633730%2

Cash Money
Rookie

November 6th, 2011, 9:31 pm #7

(Benny Lightfield continued from The Funniest Joke in the World)

Benny had tried to keep the mood light on the way over. It was hard, as the realization that they were out in the middle of the desert had started to hit home over the hours that they had spent following the train tracks that stretched, curving almost imperceptibly, into the flat expanse in front of them. Somewhere in between processing the meaning of their predicament, absorbing the lessons of his instruction manual (although keeping the weapon in his backpack until he felt ready to handle it), and staring at the great unknown, conversation had dropped out almost entirely. There was simply too much to keep track of while maintaining idle chit-chat. He found the silence quite discomfiting, as he was not used to there being so much of it. He usually knew how to fill in the negative space, but the list of topics had run dry, or more accurately, kept circling around to truths he'd rather not face.

Benny had noticed the town on the horizon from quite a ways away, feeling the spring return to his step as they approached. His feet ached at this point, but that was entirely ignorable in the face of the possibility that they might meet some more classmates. They broke off from the tracks, walking directly into town. Patrick announced their arrival. "All right! We made it to town. So, I believe the thing to do now is to go searching for things, yeah?" Benny couldn't have agreed more with his attitude. He replied, "Yeah, let's do this!"

Soon enough, they had rounded a corner and seen a couple of their classmates. One of them was Pepper. Benny didn't know her that well, but she was always hanging around with Delilah, and as far as he was concerned, a friend of a friend was a friend. The other kid was Tito. Benny didn't know him that well either, simply because they didn't run in the same circles, but he seemed nice enough. Benny and Patrick took off towards then, with Ramona close behind.

When they got there, Tito looked suspicious of them. He was telling them to stay back. Benny wondered why - was she hurt? She might have been injured - she certainly looked like she was hurting in one aspect or another. Though he didn't think it was necessary for them to stay back, he was more confused when Ramona took offense. She told him what was what, and he admired that, but at the same time he realized it would be a very bad idea to have anybody angry - they were carrying weapons, after all. Benny threw his two cents in from afar, not wanting to get too close to potential conflict.

"Dudes, can we just like, chill out?" Having registered that he just sounded kind of like a hippie, he went with it, continuing, "We all wanna see if Pepper's doing okay, so let's not harsh her vibes, man." He wasn't sure if what he said meant exactly what he thought it did, but it was close enough.
Program:
M04: Kingsley Tran
Sydney Cattrell coming soon
[+] spoiler
SOTF Virtua:
M12: Benny Lightfield GAME OVER
HP: ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡ /// Inventory: C96 Mauser /// XP: [=======] /// 1 point
M09: Marco "Martin" Ricco GAME OVER
HP: ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡ /// Inventory: American Flatbow | 10 arrows | 5 sheets of paper /// XP: [====] /// 0 points
[+] spoiler
TV:
Trey LaBianco loves the show a lot more than he does school.
Sadie Trujillo respects nature a lot more than she does anyone she knows.

Evo:
Ebony Gray is an Algerine who just wants to have fun.

Never to be used:
Richard "Dickybub" Bockwinkle is a name I like.

SOTF Portal: SOTF + teleportation + conspiracies (pending approval)

Mimi
Rookie
Mimi
Rookie

November 7th, 2011, 9:10 pm #8

There was a reason Pepper separated herself from the general populace of Alderbrook High, blending seamlessly into the hallowed halls as if they were a second home. People were scary. She wasn’t sure if it was the way she was brought up or a side-effect of her insecurities or if her brother dropped her on her head as a baby or what, but for as long as she could remember she’s always kept herself at a safe distance, never allowing her star to shine too bright in fear of the collective backlash she’d receive.

As such, Pepper could only stare in horror as Tito confronted her, mouth literally hanging agape as he laid into her, stern but friendly tone all but lost on a girl who may as well have been looking into the mouth of a starving bear.

Tito chastised her for being a desperate mess, instantly causing the girl to physically retract into herself, tightening her arms around herself and averting her gaze to the dusty street. Pepper couldn’t bear to look the taller boy in the eye, he’d be able to see the shame glinting in her own and she wasn’t sure she could handle seeing the judgment in his.

He didn’t even know her name.

Was she the biggest loser on the planet or what?

Sighing dejectedly, Pepper apologized, “I’m s-sorry,” she began, still fixated on the ground, “I was just frustrated, my bag…” Glancing quickly at her daypack, still held hostage by the lantern, she continued “They put it up there and I couldn’t get it down and I just really don’t want to be here. Although, I guess nobody really wants to be here, huh?” She trailed off towards the end, allowing her voice to dissipate into the breeze.

Before either of the two could make a move to retrieve Pepper’s bag, a familiar, albeit loud, voice called out to them. Finally taking her gaze off the ground, Pepper searched for the source, scanning the grim surroundings and finding it a couple yards away from the duo, belonging to none other than Patrick Reynolds, a bubbly member of Theatre. While they exchanged pleasantries every once in awhile, Pepper never really sat down and talked to him back in Alderbrook.

Truth be told, he made her nervous, much like the female theatre member flanking him. Loud noises were never really her thing, be it loud cars or thunder or people—they made her flinch and start blinking like a crackhead, leading only to more shame about her social inabilities.

It was always nice to see familiar faces, though, and while Patrick, Ramona and Benny Lightfield weren’t the friend she was praying would find her soon, it was nice having them around. Almost like she was back in Alderbrook, just injecting some normalcy into an otherwise hopeless situation.

Tito didn’t share her mindset, however, and immediately began grilling the group on their intentions, backing up far too close to Pepper for comfort, leading her to backup as well, nearly into the wall of a nearby home.

Unfortunately for Tito, Ramona wasn’t going to back down like Pepper had and went into one of her renowned tangents—very loudly at that. She’d tried to interject, softly tried to tell Ramona that she was fine and she just wanted her bag, but the louder girl drowned out her delicate voice. Squeezing her eyes shut and clamping her hands over her cheeks, Pepper tried to control the mounting anxiety. It was getting too loud for her, loud enough to wake the dead and making her feel all too exposed in the little town.

She felt like everything was watching her, closing in around her to get a look at the scene and she didn’t like. Thank God for Benny Lightfield doing what she wished she could, she owed him one, that was for sure.

“I-I’m fine,” She whispered lightly at his claim that they were ‘harshing her vibes’, which wasn’t as true as she wished it was, evident by her crouched frame and tightly shut eyes, “I just want my bag…”

GOLD HYENAS 1
GENESIS BRADLEY-BAKER

kervin555
Rookie

November 9th, 2011, 11:15 pm #9

Patrick took a step back as Tito started yelling at him, obviously alamed by the group's presence. Apparently, Tito wasn't entirely sure of their intentions. Now Patrick wished that he'd hung out with him a bit more.

"Hey, can we calm down a bi-"

He was interrupted as Ramona pushed past him, telling him that she'd handle this her own way. Immediately, Ramona began mouthing off her ideals and how no one can tell her what to do and everything Ramona did when she got mad at someone.

Oh, for God's sake, Ramona! Don't threaten the suspicious Italian kid! Patrick wanted to say but he was afraid to interrupt Ramona. She was feared for her wrath when someone decided to knock on one of her tirades. Now he really wished that he'd hung out with Tito more. Some measure of calmness would have been the best thing in this situation then.

Patrick looked imploringly at Benny, who looked to be feeling the same thing as Patrick right about then.

"Dudes, can we just like, chill out? We all wanna see if Pepper's doing okay, so let's not harsh her vibes, man."

Patrick nodded vehemently in approval, but couldn't help but look at Benny for a moment after realizing how he phrased those two sentences. "Dude," Patrick said, "you just totally sounded like a hippie right there."

Patrick looked again at Tito and Pepper. The girl was looking absolutely miserable right about then, standing there as if she were surrounded by a pack of wild wolves. Patrick's heart went out to the girl, but it felt like there was nothing he could do. But he had to try, right?

Patrick approached Tito carefully. "Hey, Tito, it's Patrick, remember? We hung out together with Roy Benson and the others, remember? What do you say that we all calm down and have a truce, yeah?" Patrick wasn't entirely sure that truce was the right word to use, but he held his hand out for Tito to shake anyway.

Well, it's not like anything bad was going to happen by approaching peace, right?
Mini Characters
Virtua SOTF - F05: Renee Murphy - GAME OVER - Tec-9, H&K MP5 - "Are you going to talk to me this time? "Well, now or never, right?"
Threads: Holding Out For A Hero > Inexplicable > Rebel Without a Clue > While Rome Burns > Far From Home > Breaking Point > Swan Song > Still Red > Last of the Alderbrooks

Virtua SOTF - M16: Patrick Reynolds - GAME OVER - 2x Molotov Cocktails - "Um, I think we're lost." "Is that odd? Handsome guy like me and he doesn't have a girlfriend?
Threads: The Funniest Joke in the World > I Can Hear the Bells > From Where You're Kneeling
[+] spoiler

Renee Murphy by Mimi
[+] spoiler
23:01 Dano: i can't see in the dark with my glasses on, but i have my glasses off, and since a negative times a negative is a positive
23:02 Kilmarnock: The modifier just keeps increasing until you can't see, even on a 20.
23:02 kervin555: Actually, using real math, this should be addition not multiplication.
23:05 kervin555: I just saved this conversation and am in the process of sigging it.
23:06 Rugga_dialtone: I'm in so many sigs that would make me a souless she devil
23:13 kervin555: No hablo signature means "I can't speak signature" in a not very well literate way.

Caporacolo

November 10th, 2011, 12:23 am #10

What was so wrong, in a situation like that, facing people he barely knew, with asking questions? Vital questions?

It was hard, for a guy with his problems to understand facial expressions. Anyway, when facing a hard problem to solve, Tito could easily come up with a good solution.

"Calmo, calmo, calmo...e pensa bene cazzo." (Calm down, calm down, calm down...and think well, f*ck) He kept saying himself.
Surely the new girl was annoying and she distracted him a bit, so he closed his eyes for a second, just to widely open them up.

"I don't want to have a fight with you guys and actually, it's the last thing i want to do now. However..." He took some air inspiring for some seconds "...i won't be an issue anymore."

His eyes moved fast from Pepper, onto Patrick, Ramona and finally Benny, who chose to keep himself out of that stuff.

He rapidly set up his baggage, shook Patrick's hand and firmly said "I don't know how you can be so open to some random guy you find here, in this "game", but this won't take you so far, just keep that in mind." Some moments of pause, just to continue "Anyway, good luck with your team."

Tito smiled, looking into Patrick's eyes, which probably would have seen for the last time in his life and then, the time for departure arrived.

It was obvious, in that situation, everybody wanted to live and seemed no one really got into the real game. The main reason to leave the party was the number of the mates. Five people couldn't move silently, and also they hardly could get similar opinions and point of view, so why bother?

Tito slowly started to step back, always keeping an eye on everyone in front of him.

"This seems to be a goodbye." He said with a very apathical tone of voice.

He continued stepping back, and finally turned over when he was at a security distant from the group, running through the abandoned houses which were near the streets of the Ghost Town.
He could be easily chased down by anyone a bit smart, just to follow the footprints, but keeping Tito's run would have been possible only to some very athletic student.

He now needed some time to eat, think and rest a bit, since endurance wasn't surely his strength, but in that little town, with so many students trying to survive, it wouldn't have been so hard to find someone else in those houses.

[Tito Simonin continues in Aspiration]
VIRTUA SotF

Cash Money
Rookie

November 12th, 2011, 5:36 am #11

((Skipping Ramona with Inky's approval. Sorry this is slightly late.))

Benny could only watch, still slightly dumbfounded by how quickly events had turned, as Patrick tried to make peace with Tito. He was glad Patrick did something; Benny certainly wouldn't have had much to go on. He wouldn't have guessed that Patrick might have known Tito like he just mentioned, but he was just glad that there was some common ground to go on.

...and Tito wasn't accepting it. He said, "I don't know how you can be so open to some random guy you find here, in this "game", but this won't take you so far, just keep that in mind." Benny had never thought of it like that before. He could have understood it entirely if he thought he wasn't going to fit in - he didn't really look like he would - but to reject them categorically? Not cool, dude. Before he could say anything, though, Tito was backing away, then sprinting. Benny called after him, half-heartedly, "You don't have to go! We won't bite!"

After that whole escapade was over, Benny sighed, not entirely sure what to say. He pulled out his oddly tangy water and took a swig. He didn't know what there was to say; he could make a quip, but Pepper looked like she was getting all the assistance she needed from Ramona. He figured he could get everyone motivated once they were back on their feet. In a fleeting moment, his attention drifted elsewhere, and it was at that point he noticed there was a backpack on the lightpost she happened to be underneath. Did Tito put that there? If he did, there was no use having him around anyway. Even more importantly, there was no use thinking about him anymore. He made a mental note to mention the backpack when he got a chance.
Program:
[+] spoiler
SOTF Virtua:
HP: ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡ /// Inventory: American Flatbow | 10 arrows | 5 sheets of paper /// XP: [====] /// 0 points
[+] spoiler
TV:

Evo:

Never to be used:

Mimi
Rookie
Mimi
Rookie

November 18th, 2011, 2:53 am #12

Pepper stayed where she was following Tito’s departure, still crouched against the wall of what she suspected used to be someone’s home—though she knew not why someone would want to live in such a desolate place. Once again, a warm wind caused a symphony of clatter throughout the old town, disrupting the new silence and propelling the large girl further into herself. Still with clenched eyes, Pepper allowed Tito’s parting words to soak into her; the ‘game’.

Honestly, it was hard for her to wrap her head around the concept, to fully accept that people were going to be killing one another—it just didn’t seem plausible, even with the constant reminder of reality strapped tightly around her neck. There were kids back in Alderbrook she didn’t get along with, sure, but she’d never want anyone to die. It was barbaric, to say the least.

And it petrified her.

Pepper deftly slid a hand up her sleeve and quickly pulled out several arm hairs, savoring the satisfying ‘pop’ of the follicles detaching and the subsequent sting.

Her mouth felt dry and cracked, but she honestly couldn’t have cared less at that moment, reserving herself to an unobtrusive licking of her lips—a short-term solution until she got up the nerve to ask someone for help. Dust was already caking her face, she could taste it, leaving a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach as she began to realize that this was only to start of unpleasantness.

It was going to get much, much worse from here.

GOLD HYENAS 1
GENESIS BRADLEY-BAKER

kervin555
Rookie

November 20th, 2011, 6:29 am #13

Patrick could only watch as Tito walked away from the group, heading toward somewhere else in the town. Patrick vaguely wondered if Tito was willing to play along with the game seriously. He knew Tito well enough when they were together with Roy and the like, and Tito never seemed violent at all. Sure, he was a bit weird but the kid was autistic wasn't he? Patrick understood why others sometimes thought he was weird, but he never made fun of Tito for it.

And now he was walking away? Patrick felt cheapened somewhat, but he brushed those, frankly unjustified, thoughts aside. Tito did have a point when he said that groups wouldn't last long. But that was only if those groups were playing by the Sheriff's rules, right? And as far as he was concerned, they weren't. Maybe others would try to play the game, but they'd listen to reason, wouldn't they? Regardless, Patrick decided that he needed to get his head in gear if he wanted to get through all of this.

"Alright," he said as rubbed his eyes slightly. "Let's take this a bit slow, okay? If we're going to get through the next few days and find a way out of here, we'll need food and supplies. And we sure as hell aren't going to find it on the streets."

As if for emphasis, Patrick swept his arm to show the empty, crumbling streets.

"There's a bunch of buildings on the map. There's probably houses and a saloon and probably a store around here somewhere. Maybe there's a police department somewhere..." Patrick looked at the map again. The Ghost Town was way too big for all of them to cover as a group. So, Patrick decided on something.

"We need to split up," Patrick said. "It seems like the fastest way to cover ground. So... any objections? By the by, if we go through with this, I got dibs on the Police HQ if there's such a thing."

Then Patrick looked at Pepper who was still looking absolutely dreadful. He turned to Benny and Ramona. "And... uh, who wants to take Pepper?"
Mini Characters

[+] spoiler

Renee Murphy by Mimi
[+] spoiler

Cash Money
Rookie

November 23rd, 2011, 6:30 am #14

((GMing approved!))

Patrick spoke up. Benny was still staring off into space, but the words did filter in in some way. Benny had a talent for that; it was how he was used to paying attention in class at the least.

"Alright, let's take this a bit slow, okay? If we're going to get through the next few days and find a way out of here, we'll need food and supplies. And we sure as hell aren't going to find it on the streets."

Yeah, yeah, something about getting out of here... we should probably do that...

"...there's a bunch of buildings on the map... we need to split up... fastest way to cover ground...

Sure, that sounds like a good idea... we can meet up once we have people...

...who wants to take Pepper?

Benny suddenly remembered what he had to say. "Before we take Pepper, we should probably take her backpack. Pepper's already been left twisting in the wind here, the least we can do is make sure her stuff isn't." He looked around, and he spotted Ramona's big oar.

"I have an idea guys. Patrick can use Ramona's oar to get it down. Sound like a plan?" They both agreed.
Program:
[+] spoiler
SOTF Virtua:
[+] spoiler
TV:

Evo:

Never to be used:

Mimi
Rookie
Mimi
Rookie

December 2nd, 2011, 11:46 pm #15

Pepper groaned internally as the trio discussed the possibility of splitting up and, subsequently, who wanted to 'take' her-- as if she were some starving puppy on the street. It was humiliating. Had the blistering sun not already reddened her face, the burgeoning flush of embarrassment would've been painfully visible on her cheeks.

Another savory sting from her forceful detachment of hairs.

More than anything, Pepper wanted to haul herself up, put her hands on her hips and declare that she could survive by herself. Then, somehow, she'd get her bag down all by herself to demonstrate the point and march off into the dusty backdrop with a sense of self-worth larger than anything in the world. It reminded her of all the great heroines in the plays she loved, women who didn't need a soul to help them accomplish the things they wanted in life. In one of her earlier stories, she'd made herself into one of those heroines-- a battle-hardened war-goddess that everyone respected.

Paprika the Beloved.

But she feared that was as close as she'd ever get to being an independent, fearless woman. Just a character in a story. In reality, she'd always just be meek, timid, overweight Pepper Clarke who can't even watch scary movies without wanting to hide.

And as such, Pepper could do no more than shakily pull herself up from her crouched position and stagger awkwardly toward the trio without so much as a spark of confidence.

"Thanks," She replied softly when Benny mentioned getting her bag down, "It's really high up, I, uhm, can't get to it by myself."

GOLD HYENAS 1
GENESIS BRADLEY-BAKER