Down by the Water

peregrineink
Veteran

April 19th, 2011, 2:12 am #1

(YLW5 Jake Langston START!)

The first thing Jake heard was waves. He could smell salt. The sun was warm, and he could feel the gentle yield of sand underneath his long, lanky frame.

It was damn near peaceful.

He didn't want to open his eyes, not remotely at all. He wanted to lie in the sun forever listening to what sounded like the ocean, and sleep. Sleep through this entire damn nightmare that his life had suddenly become. He cracked open one eye. Oh. A lake.

He sat up. His movements felt jerky as though he was increasingly aware of himself. Were his hands shaking? He didn't know. He could feel a strange band of metal around his neck. He knew what it was. He didn't want to think about what it was.

A canvas bag sat in front of him. Oh. Right. That.

He spent a moment looking around. This place was too damn beautiful to be a part of anything so...absolutely horrible and yet. Well. Here he was. His mouth was dry and he wondered if that was the effects of the gas, or was it nerves? Jake mindlessly reached for his bag.

He couldn't stop thinking about the faces he saw sitting at the desks around him. Madelyn was there. He saw her face before the gas. Mikaela was also there, Zach, April, Shawn. And Mae. His friends, all of them, they all sat around him as they were told they would have to kill.

Unless....he reached into his canvas bag, feeling unfamiliar objects and cloth before closing around a narrow strip of cloth. He pulled it out.

Yellow. A smiley face. Really? A smiley face. He was going to have a smiley face on his person the entire time?! What kind of sick bastards came up with this? He frowned as he tied the bandana around his arm. The yellow looked gross next to the weak gray plaid, but what was he going to do? It had to be shown at all times, right? He wasn't going to be some loser and put it around his forehead.

He dipped back into his bag, were there clothes in there? It didn't matter, he'd see to that later. At this point, it was best just to get it over with and find his weapon.

His hands closed around metal. Oh.

He pulled out the gun.

"No," he whispered at it, as though wishing could somehow make it go away. He was on a team, everyone could live, he just needed to find his team. How many were there? Thirteen teams and one loner, well, he was clearly on a team, no cream to be seen but... Hope dawned in his chest.

Maybe they were all on the same team. Yeah, that's right, Madelyn was probably on his team, what were the odds that she wasn't? Jake had never liked math and he wasn't going to start now. He clamored to his feet, feeling the gun in his hand like some alien thing. It wasn't the rifles he was used to shooting, but he could still probably clean and reload it if he had to.

Stop that thought. He wasn't even going to fire that thing.

He looked around. Could anyone have been put near him? He hoped Madelyn had, Madelyn or anyone he knew.

"Hello?" He asked weakly. Augh. Wasn't that how everyone died in this thing? He didn't care. No one in their right mind would play, right?

65 seasons though....they couldn't be wrong.
-PeregrineInk

Honoring the glorious dead:
F26: Maddie Harris: Resident artist.- Seven Unveiled Masterpieces- Death by carelessness
YLW5:Jake Langston:Just a nice guy-No kills- Death by misunderstanding
GLD1:Mae St. Clair -One half of the Golden Couple- One and a half kills- Death by loss of hope
M18: Brian Larke: A horrible human being.- Two kills- Death by just desserts.

chitoryu12
Rookie

April 19th, 2011, 7:53 am #2

((BLK1: BOB LAZENBY START))

Glaring light.

Heat.

Headache.

Bob Lazenby, to put it bluntly, was not in a good mood when he awoke.

Then again, would anybody in this situation?

As blurry vision returned, Bob rolled over. His glasses tilted and fell, lightly impacting on the sand and leaving a soft indent.

Slowly, pieces of what happened came back to him. He was not, in fact, having a PBR on the beach with his friends and listening to a soft acoustic guitar in the background. It was a dream.

Well, one part was right. He was on a beach.

As the memories slipped their way into his brain like a fog slowly rolling into town, Bob Lazenby did not take notice of the figure faintly visible in the distance. He did not check his daypack for weapons or don his bandanna.

Bob Lazenby did the only thing in this situation that he could do.

He curled up in a ball and wept.

The Program
M10: John Ferrara: Italian soccer star
Weapons: Banjo w/ eagle logo (broken)
Calico Liberty III Handgun (50/50, 50/50)

[M19: Matthew Gourlay: Rich Bitch
Weapons: Calico Liberty III handgun (Taken)

SOTF-TV
BLK01: Bob Lazenby: Hipster
Weapons: Laser Pointer

Virtua-SOTF
M13: Kenneth Danielson
Weapons: Tobacco pipe (discarded in Town Outskirts)

I just slit a man's throat and stole his clothes and I love you all!

peregrineink
Veteran

April 19th, 2011, 1:20 pm #3

Jake could hear the crying but not the source, he whipped his head around only to find the figure curled up and weeping on the ground. For a moment he felt embarrassed for the person, crying like that on national television.

Then again, now was a perfect time as any to let it all out.

Jake made sure the safety was on on the gun before he tucked it into the waistband of his jeans. That would probably be the worst case scenario in his mind; blowing his ass off in front of millions if not billions of people. He wondered briefly if anyone had done that, unfortunately he had not watched the show enough to remember something like that.

He approached the crying guy slowly, and immediately recognized him once he got closer. Bob Lazenby. He played guitar too. That was about the only thing he knew about the kid. Bob wasn't necessarily the....most approachable of people. Jake kept his distance for a moment before remembering that this wasn't the hallways at school.

"Hey man," Jake said slowly. "I uh...you okay?"

It was probably the worst question to ask, but hey, it was a start.
-PeregrineInk

F26: Maddie Harris: Resident artist.- Seven Unveiled Masterpieces- Death by carelessness
GLD1:Mae St. Clair -One half of the Golden Couple- One and a half kills- Death by loss of hope

chitoryu12
Rookie

April 19th, 2011, 10:23 pm #4

"...you okay?"

The words were faint in Lazenby's ear. He was still lost in his own little world. A world of tears, fear, and possibly urine.

Yeah, definitely urine.

He rolled back over, leaving his glasses sitting in the sand. The few white clouds in the blue sky were blurry. As he tilted his head up, a figure came into focus. The most he could tell was that the figure was male, tall, and blonde. And probably armed.

That was what caused Bob's next reaction.

"Get the fuck away from me!" he screeched, scooting away on his ass and making a rather ungraceful backwards tumble to his feet. He picked up his still-unopened backpack and held it in front of him like a shield.

"I don't know who the fuck you are, but back up! I'll......I'll fucking hit you!"
The Program

SOTF-TV

Virtua-SOTF

peregrineink
Veteran

April 19th, 2011, 10:30 pm #5

Jake stared at Bob for a minute. Straight up stared in that calm sort of disbelief most get when they are faced with something truly truly absurd. Bob actually scooted on his ass to get away from Jake, which was ridiculous. Then he held his pack like a shield as though that had ever protected anyone ever.

Jake hadn't moved throughout all of this. All he could think of to say was "Dude, do you smell pee?"

The dark stain on the front of the other boy's pants confirmed this. Jake's face grew hot at the fact that he had just outed Bob's horrible bladder control on national television. So he did the only thing he could think of to actually do in this situation.

He burst out laughing. Real chest bursting I-can't-breathe laughter. Tears gathered in his eyes, hell yeah, Jake was on the Funny Train, and that shit was going downtown.
-PeregrineInk

chitoryu12
Rookie

April 20th, 2011, 2:17 am #6

Tears were still streaming down Bob's face.

"Shut up! Just.......fuckin' shut up! All right, man? I hate this shit!"

He took a few steps backward, paused, and dropped his bag in the sand. His arms fell down by his sides.

Bob was one of those kids who had never faced a moment of hardship in his life. Life, to Robert Williams Lazenby, was a cycle of drinking, smoking, mockery of people not as cool as him, and writing music. Everything came right to his feet; his parents had enough money that he wouldn't be left wanting (though he never asked for much), he was a musical genius, and he had plenty of friends. The only things he didn't enjoy in life was the lame school population and how underappreciated his genius was. Heathens.

And now, he had been thrust onto national television in a competition where he had to either mercilessly slaughter more innocent people than some serial killers or face a slow, painful death. All ready for mockery if he messed up in either.

He was probably getting laughed at right now.

Wiping his eyes, Bob bent down and picked up his glasses. Brushing the sand from the lenses, the world came into focus once more. All he could tell was that he was on a beach. The guy in front of him looked vaguely familiar in the same way everyone else from his school looked vaguely familiar: the people Bob passed in hallways or in class day after day without bothering to learn their names.

He sniffed. "Well, may as well see what's in store for me. Oh, murderous fate, what have you tossed me into now?" He didn't know exactly why he felt so poetic when he had just wet himself on national television. At this point Bob was completely ignoring the possible threat in front of him. He would later reflect that this was not the smartest move.

Unzipping his pack, he first pulled out a bandanna. Black with a grinning white skull emblazoned on the center. Tacky, but he had no choice. Not unless he wanted a rather fragmentary death. He paused from his unpacking to wrap it around his bicep.

Below that was a laser pointer. Probably meant to attach to a gun or something. He clicked the button to make sure it was working, then turned it off and tossed it aside.

Beef jerky, Coca-Cola, Wonderbread, et cetera. Mainstream bullshit, as usual. More corporate trash meant to sell fake, chemical-laden food.

A black t-shirt, and under that a blue shirt with NERF written in large yellow letters on the front. Turning it over, he found a bullseye on the back. Wonderful.

A yellow and black striped spandex bodysuit with a plunging v-neck almost down to the navel.

Wait..............what the FUCK?

His eyes did not deceive him. An outfit that would have had any hair metal artist salivating and reaching for their credit card was currently held in his hands. The absolute worst piece of fashion he had ever seen in his life. "What the holy hell is this? Like hell I'm going to wear this piece of shit!" He tossed it aside, the bodysuit landing in a pile of unresolved sexual tension between bandmates.

Map, compass, first aid kit, flashlight, condom. Standard supplies. Well, except the condom. But he doubted he would ever use it, so meh. The girls here probably weren't his type.

Bob continued to dig to the bottom of the bag, searching for his weapon. He felt canvas. Nothing but canvas.

He turned the bag over and shook it. Nothing fell out.

His gaze turned to the laser pointer.

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
The Program

SOTF-TV

Virtua-SOTF

peregrineink
Veteran

April 20th, 2011, 2:09 pm #7

Jake was a nice guy. He really was. He helped old ladies across the street sometimes and would have been a boy scout had his mother not kept him away from groups as a kid. Sure, he had kissed girls and did not date them afterwards, but then again he had been completely and utterly faithful to Madelyn since they had started dating.

But there was just something about Bob Lazenby that drove a splinter into Jake's conscience. Maybe it was the urine soaked whining at Jake's very presence, or the fact that he would probably straight up attack him if it weren't for his crappy laser pointer weapon, but Jake felt, maybe for the first time since elementary school, like being a jerk.

He reached and pulled his gun out of his back pocket. This wasn't funny, he told himself. This was a life or death situation and it really isn't funny. But God did this Bob kid need to be taught to lighten up.

"Oh man, your weapon is sick, all I got was this!" He pulled out the handgun and waved it around. The safety was on, Jake knew what he was doing, there was no possibility that it might accidentally go off or anything like that.

"I mean geez,what do they expect me to do with this?"

Jake laughed, tucking the gun back into the back of his pants. "Come on, I'm just messing with you! I'd never shoot anyone."
-PeregrineInk

Un67
Rookie
Un67
Rookie

April 20th, 2011, 9:13 pm #8

(BRN04: Marion Clayton continued from Family Time Never Lasts.)

After Marion took a brief moment to rest and determine a destination in the Forest, she decided to go towards the southwest. In that direction was the coastal lake, Marion thought that it was a pretty noticeable landmark and she might get lucky in finding her team there. The journey wasn't exactly a long one, but the fact that she was trying to lug around an almost 6 foot sword with her complicated things, to say the least. Still, she managed, and decided to herself that she was going to have to learn how to use it effectively sooner or later. She knew that she had practically no chance to get another weapon unless she killed someone or was near someone who was killed, neither of which was exactly something she wanted to be doing, with possible exception for teammates making kills. But to be able to take weapons from people your teammates killed obviously required teammates in the first place, so that wasn't exactly going to help her.

In any case, as she reached the coastal lake, she could see two figures there. She couldn't exactly make out what bandanas they were wearing, so she knew that she needed to get closer to get a better look, but she did notice that one of them waved a gun around before placing it into his pocket. Marion made a slight gulp in apprehension, but she did catch a few reassuring words - "Come on, I'm just messing with you! I'd never shoot anyone." Of course, she knew fully well that whoever said that could have been lying, but there could be no way to find her team if she didn't at least take some risks. She then decided to go forward towards the two figures, and said calmly and simply, "Hello there."
[+] spoiler
M18: Johan Luther (DECEASED)
Weapons: Sports Javelin (Assigned), Kimber Desert Warrior (Collected)
Thread Chain: () () () () ()
Last Words: "There is in fact no such thing as art for art's sake."
[+] spoiler
BRN04: Marion Clayton (DECEASED)
Team: BROWN
Weapons: Nodachi (Assigned)
Thread Chain: <> - () () () () ()
Last Words: "Sorry."

chitoryu12
Rookie

April 20th, 2011, 9:24 pm #9

"GYAH!"

Bob fell backwards as Jake pulled the black handgun out and waved it in his face. "What the hell are you trying to do, kill somebody? Don't fuckin' do that!"

His eyes grew cold. He glared past his horn-rimmed lenses. "Maybe you ARE trying to kill somebody. You ain't on my fuckin' team. For all I know you're planning on shooting me in the back! Not this kid, buddy! Not this fucking kid!" He began tossing his supplies back into his pack, ranting all the while. "Gonna fuckin' wave a gun around this fuckin' place. Not gonna fuckin' happen. This shit's ridiculous. Why the fuck am I on this show? Fuckin' man. I'm gonna kill some motherfuckers if it's the last thing I do."

Bob picked up his pack and clutched the laser pointer in his hand. Glaring at the boy, he turned it on and menacingly waved the laser around on his face, the red dot dancing across his eyes and cheeks. Slinging his pack, he began to stomp off.

And almost ran into a girl carrying a gigantic sword.

"GAH! Mother FUCK!"

Bob practically jumped out of his shoes. Completely livid, he continued to stomp down the beach and into the treeline until he was out of sight.

((Bob Lazenby continued elsewhere))
The Program

SOTF-TV

Virtua-SOTF

peregrineink
Veteran

April 20th, 2011, 9:55 pm #10

"Hello there," a voice said behind him. He turned and saw a girl. A girl with a giant sword.

Bob muttered some crazy nonsense and ran off, nearly bumping into the girl as he went. He knew her, he was one of those people he could sort of remember but not place. He could at least decide that she wasn't from the other school.

He felt as though he had been caught cheating on a test, or jerking off, or any number of embarrassing things. He felt like a jerk, and would have removed his hat were he wearing one.

"Hi...sorry that you saw that. I'm....I wasn't going to shoot him, he was just freaking out so much I..."

How do you say that you waved a gun around because some kid came off as a jerk? There was no proper term for it in his lexicon. Maybe there was a word for it in French.

"I'm Jake," he said. "You're from Silver Dragon, right?"
-PeregrineInk

Un67
Rookie
Un67
Rookie

April 20th, 2011, 10:33 pm #11

As Marion approached the two, one of them began to stomp off and almost ran into Marion. It took all she had to stop the reflexive action slashing him with the sword right then and there, and the guy then shouted, "GAH! Mother FUCK!"

He looked absolutely frightened as he stomped away from the scene. Marion couldn't blame him, she would have done the same if someone just waved a gun around her and then walk in front of a person with an absolutely massive sword. The other guy then said to her apologetically, "Hi...sorry that you saw that. I'm....I wasn't going to shoot him, he was just freaking out so much I..." In reply, Marion raised her eyebrows in a gesture that practically said, "Did you really think waving a gun around him would calm him down?"

The guy then continued, "I'm Jake. You're from Silver Dragon, right?" Marion nodded, and replied calmly, "Yep. My name's Marion, Marion Clayton. I take it that you're also from SDA?"
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

peregrineink
Veteran

April 21st, 2011, 11:16 am #12

Jake still felt absolutely horrible about what she had seen, it was like the one time he decided to be a jerk is the one time he's caught about it. He was fairly convinced that this girl now though he was the worst person, and who would blame her?

Jake nodded. "Yeah. I was a writer on the newspaper...maybe you've read some of my stuff."

Shut up Jake you are on a death island who the hell says stuff like that on a DEATH ISLAND.

He cleared his throat and gave a little shrug, nodding his head over to the gigantic sword she was carrying.

"You have a big sword there."

Jake you are the WORST she is going to STAB YOU and I literally have STOPPED CARING ABOUT YOUR SURVIVAL EVEN THOUGH I AM A VOICE IN YOUR HEAD.

He sighed again and reset his brain. "Ok. Sorry, I'm a little nervous. Death island and all that," he told Marion. "Where did you come from? I mean, on the island? I'm only asking because I was wondering if you've seen my girlfriend wandering around. Tall? Brown hair? Dark lips?"

He was batting a thousand today.

-PeregrineInk

Un67
Rookie
Un67
Rookie

April 21st, 2011, 1:17 pm #13

Marion saw Jake nod, and he said, "Yeah. I was a writer on the newspaper... maybe you've read some of my stuff." Marion nodded herself, she occasionally looked at the newspaper. Not very often, but it was interesting occasionally. Then, Marion noticed how uncomfortable Jake looked around her sword, and nodded his head towards her sword. He then said, "You have a big sword there."

Not sure of what to say, Marion simply nodded slightly, and said affirmatively, "Yeah, it is." She figured if she tried to be too aggressive, she might end up at gunpoint, so she decided to try act more friendly to avoid getting into such a situation. Jake then sighed and said, "Ok. Sorry, I'm a little nervous. Death island and all that. Where did you come from? I mean, on the island? I'm only asking because I was wondering if you've seen my girlfriend wandering around. Tall? Brown hair? Dark lips?"

Marion thought over what she could say. She figured she should probably tell the truth, but she wondered if lying might be a good option. Then, she decided against lying, as it wasn't likely to make much of a difference, not to mention that she wasn't much of a liar. So, she simply shook her head, and said, "Sorry, afraid not. I came from the forest, so she's probably not in that direction."

After that, there was a few more seconds of awkward silence. Marion didn't really want to speak up, but she figured she ultimately had no choice. She then said, "I guess that's that. Just curious, what's your girlfriend's name? I don't really know who you're talking about just from your description, but I might know her..."
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

peregrineink
Veteran

April 21st, 2011, 11:08 pm #14

Her name, Jake. Everyone in America now thinks you're an asshole.

"God, yeah, sorry! Madelyn Connor?" Jake really really wanted to find her, and everyone else. Maybe if there was enough of them they could escape. If enough people refused to play they obviously couldn't keep the show going, right? That would be ridiculous. Who would play? A lot of people at Silver Dragon could at least recognize each other, even though there was an entire other school out there with just as many kids with weapons...

Jake noticed a bright red splotch nearby. Oh, it was a hat. Bob must have left it. Gingerly walking over to it, it picked it up with two fingers. It didn't seem pee-stained, and yes, Jake was still focusing on that. The red was basically like wearing a target on your head (oh my god, were there sniper rifles out there? Could any student actually use one?) but he stuffed it into the back of his jean pocket.

Maybe he'd give it back to Bob one day, it was the least he could do.
-PeregrineInk

Un67
Rookie
Un67
Rookie

April 22nd, 2011, 1:10 am #15

After a few seconds pause, Jake answered to Marion's question, "God, yeah, sorry! Madelyn Connor?"

Marion thought on the name for a moment. She definitely knew the name, and knew that she was in one of her classes. In any case, the then answered to Jake, "Yeah, I definitely know her, I think we have a class together. If I ever find her, I'll let her know you're looking for her... don't know how much that might help, but it's better then nothing, at least."

She then glanced back at Jake, and noticed that his gaze was transfixed on a small red splotch. At first Marion thought it was blood, but then quickly realized it was a hat. Jake then went over and picked it up gingerly with two fingers and put it into his back pocket. Marion then raised an eyebrow, and asked Jake questioningly without being too forceful, "Why'd you pick up the hat?"
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler