<DEMO COMPLETE> Possible TV2 Fangame Opt-In/Help Recruiting

MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro
MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro

May 12th, 2015, 5:42 pm #1

This project has progressed and a demo may be found here.

DISCLAIMER: This may not actually happen. In fact, it probably won't.

Hello, all! This came up in chat a few nights ago at like 3 AM, but after some musing I've decided it's not as terrible an idea as I initially thought, so I'm going ahead and putting up a thread about it. Basically, I want to try my hand at making a TV2 Fangame in RPGMaker. I taught myself how to use the program in like thirty minutes last night, and used to use the Age of Empires 2 map editor, so nothing can possibly go wrong, right?

Anyways, more details below, but right off the bat I wanted to say that I'm picking characters for this purely through an opt-in process. I am taking only TV2 characters, and if you want yours in, you must post to this thread or the cross-post on Main telling me so (or PM me or whatever). More than that, doing so does not guarantee that I'll actually use your character. It just gives me permission to do so if that's where the artistic muse takes me. If you have any particular stipulations about the use of your character (like you don't want them killing people or something), let me know those too right away. Being really blunt, too many/major stipulations will probably result in me not using them unless I end up with something that fits really perfectly.

The reason I'm making this opt-in is that I really wouldn't be comfortable with my characters being used for such a project without my permission (even though I'd basically give permission for anything anyways), and there are plenty of characters in TV2 to feature only those whose handlers want them in this sort of thing.

Now, to a bit more of the nitty-gritty:

RPGMaker makes ugly Final Fantasy 1-6-alikes and pretty much nothing else. This means my fan game will be one of those. It has some potential for use as a more purely narrative medium that I'll probably be exploring, which is to say I don't think it'll be about Austin White casting fireballs at wolves. But you never can tell, so maybe that's exactly what it'll be! I have some loose ideas for how to translate semi-gritty violence to RPGMaker but they may flop hard.

I have no idea what the plot will be. It'll probably be an extremely loose adaptation of the RPed version, with a lot of changes made to account for only featuring 20-30 members of the cast or so and having a PoV character/party who may not have hit Endgame in the canon version. I have absolutely no clue who the protagonist(s) will be--I'll pick someone who seems compelling from the folks who get submitted. Ideally I'd love to let you select a character from a few but that may be stupid amounts of work. I've seriously only spent thirty minutes or so on this program.

I'll be creating the plot and doing most/all of the writing and area design. I can be a really poor creative team player, so setting myself up as supreme dictator for life right off the bat seems the best way to have everyone's expectations at the appropriate level. I may ease off on that as time goes on, but the default assumption should be there.

The version of RPGMaker I have is XP. I have this one because it was less than two dollars during the Steam sale last year. I know little about RPGMaker versions--if there's a really good reason, I might be persuaded to switch to 2003 (which features a better battle system--not that I'll necessarily even use that) or VX Ace (which differs in some regard that is a bit unclear to me but may have prettier map creation but is also seventy bucks and that's a bit above my level of financial commitment to this project--it periodically goes on sale at ~fifteen dollars though so if I'm patient then maybe). Noting this in case those who know more than I have feedback.

This is going to be pretty low priority for me, to the point that I'd say the odds are better than not it will never get done/will be really small and crummy. I have all these grand ambitions, but those tend to crumble. I can't emphasize enough that this is a crazy idea with no promise of success or even progress.

That said, I'm looking for the following:
  • Characters. If people in TV2 who are cool with seeing their kids used for this sort of thing want to volunteer them to be mangled and mutilated and horrifically misinterpreted by my dubious creative prowess, that would be most appreciated. I'm keeping a list of potential victims at the bottom of this post. Please remember that volunteering, while super appreciated, does not mean your character will actually be used.
  • Art asset assistants. RPGMaker XP actually has a pretty acceptable set of built-in environments and stuff, with a leaning towards fantasy that nevertheless has room, I think, to make something modern. What it does not have is any sort of sprite creation stuff (though if it hit that stage I know a program that apparently sort of does this and is only like fifteen bucks) or portrait generator (though Facemaker is a fallback option). However, if anyone more artistic than I am could be persuaded to help with these things, I'd be super grateful. This is a very far-away interest check, because I wouldn't feel comfortable asking anyone to put time towards this until the rest of the project is basically done. It's pretty easy to dummy things with basic sprites and then swap them later. So, I guess I'm looking for people to long-term help with art and/or help teach me to do spriting stuff.
  • Music asset assistants. The same deal as the art, but for MIDI tracks. Also less important because RPGMaker has a decent selection of default music. But yeah, if anyone knows MIDI and wants to help me learn, I'd be very appreciative. I think I've found a freeware program to work on this.
  • Playtesters. Ideally only like two or three of these, because I don't want the entire board playing this at every WiP stage because then there will be no mystery left. I'd want people who a. have read a ton of TV2, b. know about RPGMaker and/or crummy games based on it, or c. ideally fall into both of the above categories.
So I know I'm forgetting a ton but I have to run to class for an eleven-hour day. You can also ask questions and stuff but nothing will be answered until ~12-13 hours from now. Again, to hammer it in: this is a low priority for me and it's 80% likely nothing will ever come of it, but that 20% is appealing enough for me to prod for character use privileges.
[+] Spoiler
  1. Alice Young (Fenrir) (Alternate in costume)
  2. Amir al-Asad (Elena)
  3. Anastasia Arcadia (Lord Shadow) (Alternate in costume)
  4. Angie Hart (Aura)
  5. Anzu Sakamoto (dmboogie)
  6. Asa Rosen (Laurels) (Alternate with poncho)
  7. Ashley Namath (Un)
  8. Austin White (Me)
  9. Bella Binachi (Kami)
  10. Brendan O'Toole (Polybius)
  11. Bunny Barlowe (Pippin) (Alternate in costume)
  12. Caroline Leveson (Iceblock)
  13. Cathryn Bailey (Maraoone)
  14. Christopher Schwartz (Condor)
  15. Colin Pigeon (Flare) (Patterned on his green-haired Facemaker, also exists in blond version)
  16. Corin Albanesi (Bear) (Alternate in costume and with beard)
  17. Damion Castillo (Maraoone)
  18. Davis Todd (Un)
  19. Dougie Sharpe (NAFT)
  20. Eden Bishop (Will)
  21. Erik Lowell (dmboogie)
  22. Erik Sheely (jimmydalad)
  23. Forrest Doe (RC)
  24. Gabriel Munez (Doc)
  25. Gene Steward (RC) (Alternate in costume)
  26. Isabel Santana (CrabCaptain)
  27. Isaiah Hall (Deamon)
  28. Jewel Evans (Me) (Alternate in costume)
  29. Leah Bissard (Aloha)
  30. Lisa Toner (Bik)
  31. Lily Ashburg (Irene)
  32. Lucia del Pirlo (Pippin)
  33. Lucy Williams (Espi)
  34. Lukas Graves (Aura)
  35. Marcus Redder (Sansa) (Alternate in costume)
  36. Matthew Weiss (NAFT)
  37. Michael Robinson (Polybius/Yugi)
  38. Naomi Young (Maddie)
  39. Nina Riddhi (Kami)
  40. Paisely Hopkins (Ciel)
  41. Ramón Fuentes (Elena)
  42. Regina Aston (Imehal)
  43. Riley Parker (Espi)
  44. Saachi Nidal (jimmydalad)
  45. Sarah Bourne (Deamon) (Alternate in t-shirt)
  46. Sarah Miller (decoy) (Alternates in t-shirt and costume)
  47. Shawn Thornton (Fenrir)
  48. Taylor DeVasher (Laurels) (Alternate in costume)
  49. Tucker Hopkins (Aloha)
  50. Vahka Basayev (Doc) (Alternate in costume)
  51. Valerie Fitzroy (Condor)
  52. Vincent Holway (Bik/Un) (Alternate in costume)
  53. Will Brackenrig (Sansa) (Alternate with coat)
  54. Yagmur Tekindor (General Goose)
  55. Zoe Walker (Ohm)
Current characters:

The Program: V3 Prologue:
Mina Mashall - Digital Voice Recorder - Making a good impression - "I didn't know you felt so strongly about me."
Erik Bell - Jericho .941 - Having lunch - "May I?"

SECOND CHANCES: V2:
Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
EW4: Jewel Evans - Chatterbox Communicator Headsets (0/5) - Online - ELIMINATED - "Scars are just reminders to be better next time."
[+] Spoiler
The Program V1:
M06: Karl Chalmers - American Flag - The Mess Hall - DECEASED
F09: Nichole "Nikki" Campbell - 6 Pack of Beer (0/6) - Open Ground - DECEASED

The Program V2:
M08: Alexander Bonham - Steel Folding Chair - The Pine Stands - DECEASED
F20: Robin Pounds - Stress Ball - Mountain Track - DECEASED

SOTF-TV V1:
PRP3: Karen Ruiz - Glock 17 (0/17 +1 bullet), WASP Knife, Swordcane - Over and out - ELIMINATED - "I don't find pointless death funny."
W02: Renée Carlson - Straight Razor - The Resort Beach - DECEASED

SOTF-TV V2:
SS4: Austin White - Gold Retractable Spyglass - The World Oyster - DECEASED

Second Chances V1:
G16: Nicole Husher (thanks to TBH!) - Colt Single Action Army - The Makeshift Hospital - DECEASED

Second Chances V2:
B12: Richard Ormsby - x4 Flashbang Grenades - The Ravine - DECEASED
B22: William Lohman - Winchester Model 1897 - The Ravine - DECEASED

BR AU:
B15: Shuya Nanahara - No Weapon - The School Building - DECEASED
B20: Kyoichi Motobuchi - Bulletproof Vest - Tourist Association - DECEASED
G01: Mizuho Inada - Grenades (0/2) - Clinic - DECEASED

SOTF Evolution:
Subject C01: Samantha Reynolds - Facial Morphing - The Cove - ELIMINATED

VIRTUA SOTF:
M11: Richard Ormsby - Cowbell - The Corssroads Bridge - GAME OVER
M22: William Lohman - Hockey Stick - The Corssroads Bridge - GAME OVER
If you want an honest assessment of your character's storyline, feel free to PM me and I'll whip one up as soon as I am able.

Thanks to Bear/Frogue/Kotorikun/Ryuki for the avatar art.

Aloha
Veteran
Aloha
Veteran

May 12th, 2015, 6:01 pm #2

I'm totally fine with Tucker and/or Leah being used if you want to~
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
v2
F18: Tori Gavlik is DEAD and armed with a pilgrim hat, 2 blades and a lighter >> "Don't assume everybody's going to forgive you for that. People aren't nice, especially in this game."
Current: Forever dreaming in To The Clouds

v2.5
F03: Danielle Baumgartner is ALIVE and armed with a personalized dog tag, and a SIG Sauer P226
Current: Mourning in Tomb of the Forgotten

F06: Frankie Matsui is ALIVE and armed with an Uzi submachine gun
Current: Unsure of herself in Shit's Fucked and waxing in Yellow Wood

~*~

M02: Matthew Davis is tired.
F23: Clover Dubose is laughing.
M29: Paxton Dombrowski is sleeping.

v3
Aarush Ganguly is ALIVE

Helen Klepacki is ALIVE
[+] Spoiler
Season 2
BB1 (Bronze Bears 1): Tucker Hopkins is DEAD and unarmed >> It's not like I would've made it after the game was over...
Current: Getting it over with in Going Forward

EW2 (Ebony Whales 2): Leah Bissard is DEAD and armed with a Zastava M70AB2 >> Run.
Current: Feeling regret in Gravity
[+] Spoiler
v2
G26: Bridgette Sommerfeld is DEAD and armed with a ballistic knife >> "This...is from my last fight."
Current: Cut short in Cursed are the ones who can't abide.
[+] Spoiler
Demi Olajuwon, Jr. >> Touching down
Princesa Maria Flores >> Fa la la
Wilbur Thomas "Witt" McClain >> Deo vindice
Leilani Taylor >> Oh the times, they are a'changin'
Taehyun Seo >> Defying you
Anna Mae Love >> Looking for love
Diosdado Shapiro >> A pirate's life for me
Iris Hadley >> Up in flames
Georgia Salcedo >> The pen is mightier
Jesse Drew
Dane Delrose
[+] Spoiler
F18: Tori Gavlik by Violent-Medic
Sprited Tori by Mimi
Tucker in costume by diseasedBear (with hat)
Open to constructive criticism!

Bikriki
Regular
Bikriki
Regular

May 12th, 2015, 6:25 pm #3

I will be ready to throw Lisa Toner in for whatever purpose.

Now, what I wanted to say is that I do urge you to take a good look at all the great scripts out there that exist for RPGmaker XP (such as this one). Even an amateur in Ruby or RPGmaker should be capable of stitching together some scripts to freshen up this potential game.

Oh, what I argue you would need too are mappers and arguably writers because trust me that is the most tedious part of RPGmaker.
Program v2
O F21: Amanda White DEAD (Hedge Clipper)
||Awakening|Cowardice|Reflection|Rising|Meeting|Return||

TV v2
Vincent Holway GIVEN AWAY (Bolo Knife) |>=<
Lisa Toner DEAD ||Ladies|Boys||

SCDos
Amanda White ALIVELaing - Zeig Deine Muskeln
||Fashion||
Vincent Holway DEAD
||Impressions|
Summary: Vincent's meat gets engulfed by a warm hole, finished by a warm fluid entering his throat, the woman in question is impressed for once

Espi
Veteran
Espi
Veteran

May 12th, 2015, 6:30 pm #4

You have my permission for my kids if for some reason you wanted them.
[+] Spoiler
Lucy Williams: He had a point
Riley Parker: Flew too close to the gun
[+] Spoiler
Nate Chauncey: in a void
Clio Gabriella: Blew her top

Aura
Contender
Aura
Contender

May 12th, 2015, 6:31 pm #5

Feel free to use Lukas and Angie if you want!
SOTF-TV v2

SP1: Lukas Graves- Forming a team in United
VW2: Angie Hart- Having a bad time of it in Balls Deep
[+] Spoiler
SOTF The Program v2:

Yumi Nunes- Just another victim in Put Down the Pen, Take Up the Sword (34th out of 41)
Brian Meyerhold Callison- Nothing but a statistic in Second Verse, Same As The First (18th out of 41)

SOTF Second Chances:

B05-Craig Hoyle was felled in With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility (37th out of 37)
G08-Keira MacDonald was gunned down in One Bath, Two Bath, Red Bath, Bloodbath (11th out of 37)

Virtua-SOTF:

M17-BIG MIKE Gibraltar ran out of continues in The Long Walk (8th out of 47)

Pippin
Contender
Pippin
Contender

May 12th, 2015, 7:55 pm #6

Ooh, snazzy cool! You totes have permission to use Lucia and/or Bunny if you want! If you still need playtesters I could poooooooossibly do that too, depending on time constraints.
[+] Spoiler
Returning
G18 - Bunny Barlowe - "And I bet you're a coward, too."
Weapon: Maschinenpistole 40, Kevlar Vest
Current Location: Though Far Away, We're Still the Same

Programmed To Fight
F16 - Faye Xandora - Deceased in Quietus - “I can do that. Watch your back, I mean. I think I might go insane if I’m left by myself.” - Pistol Crossbow
F18 - Nanna-Fiora Kroos - Alive in Seek A Way Out! - “They’ve sent us to die, and nobody’s given me a good reason why.” - Kel-Tec KSG
M45 - Morgan Jones - Alive in Radical-6 - "God, what the fuck am I doing?" - Plush 'Hulk Smash' Hands
NPC-M16 - Scott Osbourne - Deceased in Rhizome 9 - "Sorry Mom, sorry Dad." - Caltrops (x5)
NPC-M21 - Joel "JB" Blackwell - Deceased in CQD Ward - "...!" - Yarará Parachute Knife
NPC-F29 - Victoria Bellamy - Alive in ??? - "Oh, get off, for Christ’s sake! I’m going, all ri-" - Italian Folding Spetum
NPC-F?? - Natasha Dark - ??? - "..." - ???

Those Taken
Galahad Matthews - It went from a spark to an open flame, now destiny's calling out your name - ALIVE in Only Got Bad Things On My Mind When I'm With You
Kat Locke-Baldwin-It's been quite of a while since I could experience your brightness, now you've got a brighter smile and I think I'm going to like it - ALIVE in Anyway, Here's Wonderwall
[+] Spoiler
SOTF-TV
PNK3-Glen Bole-SDA-DEAD-28/66-"Ah well. I guess I'll find out at the nex-"
Weapons: SPAS-12, rather large tree branch, small pair of scissors + double rations
Kills: One (Simon Porter)
Status and Location: Lying dead with a bullet in his head, in Metanoia.
Cause of death: Shot in the head by Vincent Sullivan.

ORA2-Brennan O'Brian-DCHS-DEAD-14/66-I'm sorry...
Weapons: Bottle of LSD labeled "Water Purification Tablets", Colt Anaconda .45 Magnum (2/6, 30/36 in Box), SPAS-12 (Currently lying somewhere on the beach.
Kills: None.
Status and Location: Utterly defeated in Of Moons, Birds and Monsters
Cause of death: Strangled to death by Madelyn Conner

Virtua-SOTF
M01-Roy Benson-LIVES x00-21/47-No-one else is gonna get hurt... No-one else is gonna die here...
Current Weapons Equipped: N/A
Weapons Discarded: American Flatbow + 10 arrows (Given to Martin Ricco), 2 arrows, Rolling Pin (Burnt in fire started by Delilah Rivers)
Killstreak: N/A
Current Level: Final Level-Devil Nights
Killed By: Player F10-Holly Romero

F08-Amelia Lennon-LIVES x00-9/47-"Katie, Rebecca? … Thank you. I couldn’t have asked for better friends. You deserve to get out of here more than me.”
Current Weapons Equipped: N/A
Weapons Discarded: Pick Axe, Bowie Knife (Hurled off of mountain)
Killstreak: One-Player F03-Tania Chell
Current Level: Final Level-The Highest Heights
Killed By: Herself/Fall from mountain

Second Chances
G02-Aileen Borden-DEAD-30/37-How fucking cliche...
Weapons: Hockey Stick
Kills: Zero
Status and location: Staying snarky to the end in Thin Line Between Heaven and Here
Cause of death: Shot by Paige Single.

B01-Glen Bole-DEAD-4/37-“You’re a fucking coward who thinks he’s the big man, now he’s got a gun. You don’t deserve shit.”
Weapons: Binoculars, Sledgehammer, Large shard of glass, Beretta M92F
Kills: Zero
Status and location: Not close enough in The Twilight of our Youth
Cause of death: Shot by Karl Chalmers

The Program v2
M03-Jonathan Roberts-DEAD-19/41-“Hey! Hey, over here!"
Location: Made one too many bad decisions in Virtue's Last Reward
Weapon: Fiddle
Kills: None
Shot by: Anastasia "Tas" Flores

M04-Carlyle Shotton-DEAD-11/41-I... I did alright... didn’t I?
Weapon: Kentucky Rifle, Pitchfork
Kills: 1 (Gwen Phonesavanh)
Shot by: Robin Pounds

TV 2 LADS
IS3-Lucia del Pirlo-The Paranoid Painter-“I-I didn’t want to do it! I had to! Just... Please, you have to believe me!”-FOR LEAH
Weapon: Jericho 941
Died in pain and fear in Going Forward

SS1-Bunny Barlowe-The Ace Actress-"Regina! Regina, help me!”-HELLA DEAD
Weapon: Razor Sweet Pea Scooter, Frying Pan
Forever famous in Rock the Flock

Second Chances V2
B07 - Roy D. Benson - “"I'll save a glass of Moxie for you, whenever we meet again."” - DECEASED
Weapon: Kiss of Death
Current Location: Did you really think I'd fall to my knees just to pray for some sweet simplicity?
[+] Spoiler

Brennan O'Brian by Little Boy

Glen Bole by Little Boy

Amelia Lennon by diseasedbear

Carlyle Shotton by Mimi
[+] Spoiler
TV
Verity Callaghan - We're living in the currents you create, we're sinking in the pool of your mistakes.Stonebank
Reynold "Rey" Haywood - When all that you have's stale and it's cold, oh, you'll no longer feel when your heart's turned to gold.
Quinn Dallaway - I am flesh and I am bone, rise up, ting ting, like glitter and gold.Fire Emblem
Laura Hakštok - Can't you people function for a little while, without me bouncin' off the satellite for a night?Case & Point

???
Diana Mascherano - From stern to bow, singing land ho, the boat is leaking but we won't let go. Winter Juson
Cameron Light - Come down, and waste away with me, down with me.
Jermaine Urwick - Don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy, we'll all float on all right.
Maya Dagenham - She hates it when I shout these words, but I'll still sing for you.
Ivor Faraday - Swung and missed, I put my heart in this mythical holy good guy I want so bad to be.

Lord_Shadow
Contender

May 12th, 2015, 11:37 pm #7

Anastasia Arcadia permits the use of her image or likeness in this project. No compensation required.

Also, at least one use of the phrase "You just got AnAxed," would be very much appreciated. (See, it's a pun on annexed what with Awesometownia and all. And that's the joke. /killing the humor.)
[+] Spoiler
SOTF: The Program
M07 - Michael Maxwell | Location: The Officers' Quarters - Let's Make Life A Living Hell | Status: DECEASED | Died for nothing | History: 1, 2, 3, 4
F13 - Jennifer Steinman | Location The Watchtower - The Opening Faceoff | Status: DECEASED | Died to make up for past sins | History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Program V2
M01- Kyle Williams | Location: ENDGAME The Town - Semper Fi | Status: DECEASED | Died for no reason | History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

SOTF-TV
W01 - Timothy Walker | Location: The Ski Resort - Siberian Breaks | Status: DECEASED | Died and lost, aces low | History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

TV V2
AE2: Anastasia Arcadia | Location:The Bull Craps Casino - Production Costs | Status: DECEASED? | Died, having pissed off a genuine god | History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Virtua-SOTF
F03 - Tania Chell | Location: The Ghost Town/The Streets - Anyone out there? | Status: DECEASED| Died lost in thought | History: 1, 2, 3, 4
F13 - Maria Hall| Location: The Mines - Exhausted | Status: DECEASED | Died void of all | History: 1, 2

Second Chances
G13 - Jennifer Steinman | Location: The Resort Hotel - One Bath, Two Bath, Red Bath, Bloodbath | Status: DECEASED | Died unrepentant | History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 5, 6
B11 - Timothy Walker | Location: The Helipad - Thin Line Between Heaven and Here | Status: DECEASED | Died and took hope with him | History: 1, 2

Second Chances V2
B13 - Michael Maxwell | Location: The Lake - Two is Better Than One | Status: DECEASED | Died for a stupid mistake | History: 1, 2
G21 - Tania Chell | Location: The Cliffs - Instructions Unclear | Status: DECEASED | Died having accomplished nothing | History: 1, 2, 3, 4
There was once a dumb psuedo-news line here. Now there's this pretentious nonsense. YOU1 DID THIS, YOU1 KNOW WHO YOU1 ARE!

1. Yeah you, you nefarious ne'er-do-well you.

Maraoone
Regular

May 13th, 2015, 12:09 am #8

You could use Cathryn and/or Damion here if you want c:
Second Chances 2 Characters:
Dead:
B16: "Badass" Johnny Lancer (adopted from Yugi!) is the diplomat with scars inside and out. He got what he deserved in Though Far Away, We're Still the Same [8/65]
Pregame: Hold Your Horses Now (We Sleep Until the Sun Goes Down).
Memories: Through the Dreamers, We Hear the Hum. They Say "Come On, Come On, Let's Go."
Previous Threads: I'm Looking For a Place to Start, But Everything Feels So Different Now - waste of words - Now, Wait, Wait, Wait for Me, Please Hang Around. I'll See You When I Fall Asleep - Sinking Man - Little Talks - There and Back Again - Your Bones - some day we may come to peace with the world within ourselves

B33: Damion Castillo is the perfectionist with cracks in his facade. He ran out of time in At Every Occasion, I'll Be Ready For The Funeral [38/65]
Previous Threads: Second Impressions - I'd Rather Be At The Aquarium.
Memories: Take a Bite of My Heart Tonight
[+] Spoiler
Dead:
CJ2 - Cathryn Bailey is the cynic who just wants respect. She lost control in Production Costs [4/72]
Previous Threads: A New Morning - Don't You? - The Jellies Experience - Makeup - Discordant - Stuck in the Middle with You - The Final Curtain - Grievances - Silver Lights - Going forward - Closing In
School: Whittree Secondary School
TB3 - Damion Castillo is the elitist who just wants to be good. He died a perfectly ordinary death in Lifdoff [65/72]
Previous Thread: Countdown
School: Davison Secondary School
[+] Spoiler
jimmydalad - Today at 1:42 AM
Also, how much protein and stuff is in human meat?

Professor Fether - Today at 12:46 PM
Also now you've gotta do me.
Zee - Today at 12:46 PM
oh bby
The Homeless Beard(e) - Today at 12:46 PM
I do you, you do me.
Tell me when you get here how serious we're being.
Cause I will go in.

Ruggahissy - Today at 1:30 PM
I dont know if v6 had an all beige girl or boy
Aura? - Today at 1:30 PM
The streak is broken?
Ekanselttar - Today at 1:31 PM
if you streaked would that count as all beige? :eyes:
Ruggahissy - Today at 1:31 PM
No

Vole dog yo bro - Today at 10:24 AM
to be fair
rolle don top - Today at 10:24 AM
looks cross
i thought a fleshlight was like
I'm innocent
not pure
a sexy flashlight up until now
Lolo - Today at 10:24 AM
SFHÈSDIHTGEWSAIPTHEWAIUT
ok Yugi is more pure than me
I at least knew it was a sex toy
Zee - Today at 10:24 AM
how would you make a flashlight sexy, I'm curious
well like
a flashlight you would use in sexual intercourse
Lolo - Today at 10:25 AM
WHAT
Vole dog yo bro - Today at 10:25 AM
shine a light up the butthole I guess

Somersault - Today at 7:25 PM
yes
safe sex ppl
i may actually do that

higuyugi no naku koro ni - Today at 7:30 PM
...I just realized you have my fleshlight thing in your signature, mara
...my fleshlight chat log, not my actual fleshlight

A Werewolf Chewing Naft's Shoes - Today at 5:32 PM
AUTISM CAN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS

bob avapeian - Today at 2:07 PM
i must hear the brown note, straight from kyle’s manly lips

THE NOTORIOUS Y.U.G - Today at 9:06 AM
@tha real sugar daddy can I get your nipple

Polybius - Today at 1:43 AM
I saw sheep and I came immediately

icecube - Today at 1:44 AM
poly say hello to my chat sig
Polybius - Today at 1:45 AM
Hello
Aura? - Today at 1:45 AM
Hello, Mara's chat sig.

Yugikun - Today at 8:58 AM
the real tearjerker is kermit's continued and frequent attempts to make everett relevant, even long after his death

Dr. Dreidel - Today at 2:44 PM
make me one with the machine of holiday greed

50 Shades of Gay - Today at 11:24 AM
there's probably an AU where you're a marine biologist and literally swimming in dick if that helps???

Noël Naft - Today at 11:49 PM
I was also referencing that I'm terminal in SC2
??Holiday Cactus ?? - Today at 11:49 PM
Way to go! That's a great feeling.

Petra Siu - Today at 11:46 AM
We are not horny baby birds!

After Riki - Today at 7:17 AM
ree-ing softly in the distance

your big wet baby boy - Today at 11:28 AM
i think of ethan’s bare ass every time i drive to work

Samoyed Pulling A Sleigh - Today at 12:46 AM
i've never even mentioned the word sex before
SHIT
GODDAMNIT
BROKE MY RECORD

"His salty mess invaded her." - Today at 10:30 AM
i blow nothing tho :/

dmboogie - Today at 1:27 AM
SUCK MY ASS, AMADEUS

I'm a Chartreuse Kermit! ? - Today at 2:18 PM
:hearts: :eggplant: :heart_eyes: I'd invade Damien's phallic peninsula any day :heart_eyes: :peach: :hearts:

THE VEGANZABUS - Today at 8:36 PM
@Laurels, if a hyena came through camp and ate our mush and after he ate it he turned around and licked his hind end - did he do it because that was the animal instinct, or to get the taste of mush out his mouth? What do you think?
Laurels - Today at 8:37 PM
I think you know more about licking your own asshole than I do, Yugi, so I don't think you'd need my opinion

Frozen Smoke - Today at 1:13 AM
Don’t forget the incest

KERMITRON 2000 - Today at 1:56 AM
I'M A FAILURE
Sex Buddha PWNED - Today at 1:56 AM
hahahahahaha

KERMITRON 2000 - Today at 2:18 AM
disappointing
screaming orgasms are really good
[[[PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS OUT OF CONTEXT, THANK YOU]]]

Sex Buddah - Today at 12:24 PM
Blermit no
That’s Spanish for “Blermit no”

KERMITRON 2000 - Today at 10:45 PM
I have also never seen a cockroach wow!!!
in other words, please be true☆ - Today at 10:45 PM
just go look in the mirror
KERMITRON 2000 - Today at 10:45 PM
I will slice you into four pieces and scatter your remains
in other words, please be true☆ - Today at 10:47 PM
dont forget to burn them
KERMITRON 2000 - Today at 10:47 PM
Shit ur right
Otherwise they'll try and reform
in other words, please be true☆ - Today at 10:47 PM
you have to seal my true form in one innocent child too
so they can become the Hokage
KERMITRON 2000 - Today at 10:48 PM
Wow I love one piece
in other words, please be true☆ - Today at 10:48 PM
hey its not that
it's Sound! Euphonium
Oh
Isn't that the sequel to dragonball
Starring Joseph Joestar
in other words, please be true☆ - Today at 10:48 PM
no its the prequel duh
get your mirai nikki facts right before you speak
KERMITRON 2000 - Today at 10:49 PM
I'm sorry the last anny may I watched was king of the hill
in other words, please be true☆ - Today at 10:49 PM
well duh you would watch that, you obiously never watched Peppa Pig

Dr. Freud
Rookie

May 13th, 2015, 12:50 am #9

You can do whatever with Lily and if I don't like it I'll smack you.
[+] Spoiler
"Hero will never give up, never hide, never be defeated, never accept evil." --Samurai Flamenco
"Love is all about flowers and sunshine and puppies and nipple clamps." -Rubix, "Truth About Love" Tour 2013
"You are not allowed to mess with my profile!" - Irene 2014
"Words, words, words. Once I had a gift." --Shakespeare in Love
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -Hunter S. Thompson

CondorTalon
Veteran

May 13th, 2015, 5:25 pm #10

Take both of my characters, if you want 'em.
EVERYTHING I TOUCH DIES!!!

Second Chances V2:
Clair Belvedere - Box of Condoms - Hanging back in Earth Sky From Venus
Christopher Schwartz - Macuahuitl - Catching his breath in I Jumped Out and I Pranked Him to Death with a Tire Iron
[+] Spoiler
SOTF-TV V2:
Valerie Fitzroy - Winchester Model 1897 "Trench Gun" - Victimized by fate in Septette For The Dead Princess.
Christopher Schwartz - Pony Pogo Stick - Almost made the cut in Kill Your Heroes.

The Program V2:
Nancy Morris - Cheese Grater - Finally alive in Opt Out.
Shawn Bowe-Crooke - Ship in a Bottle - Failed in Earthen Spirit.

Second Chances:
Augustus "Dougal" MacDougal - Tomahawk - Lying down in All Along the Watchtower.
Karl Chalmers - Remington 870 - Didn't make it in The Twilight of Our Youth.

Virtua-SOTF:
Clair Belvedere - Tin of Cat Food - Taking a well-deserved rest in Into The Earth.
Vivian Cathwell - Tomahawk - Didn't see it coming in It's not like its for real or anything, right?

Iceblock
Veteran

May 14th, 2015, 12:12 am #11

Since the rest of her band's in, you're free to use Caroline however you like.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Program V3 Prologue:
Sylvia Veneski -- F32 -- Clothes Hanger -- Alive -- Someday We Won't Remember This
[+] Spoiler
SOTF TV:
Katherine "Kathy" Clements -- ORA5 -- Swordcane -- Deceased -- Last Page

Virtua-SOTF:
Samuel Wilson -- M02 -- Bottle of Maple Syrup -- Deceased -- Swan Song

Program V2:
Audrey McKee -- F11 -- Weighted Leather Glove -- Alive -- Semper Fi

SOTF TV V2:
Caroline Leveson -- BB2 -- Fire Iron -- Deceased -- It's Bad. We're Hit, Man, We Are Hit

SansaSaver
Regular

May 14th, 2015, 1:08 am #12

You can totally use Will & Marcus too! ^-^
Current Characters:

The Program 2.5
M22 – Nicholas Rogers – Dark Chocolate Cheesecake
F26 – Theodora Smalls – Candelabra
[+] Spoiler
Second Chances V2:
G10 – Panya Bishara – Heelies –The Field of FlowersDECEASED“Who’d have thought terrorists would have such terrible fashion sense, huh?”

SOTF-TV V2:
RF4 – Will Brackenrig – Complete Set of Team Rosters – The Aqua-MuseumDECEASED“You’ve... always got...”
BB5 – Marcus Redder – Bear Trap – The Bulls Crap CasinoDECEASED“Papa? Mama?”

Serpico
Regular
Serpico
Regular

May 14th, 2015, 5:44 am #13

Offering Corin and my art/pixel asset skills.
[+] Spoiler
||SS5 - Corin Albanesi || TV2 - Silver Scorpions || Status: Recovery ||
Thread count: || 1 || 2 || 3 || 4 || 5 || 6 || 7 || 8 || 9 || 10 || 11 ||12 || 13 || Finale: Coming soon ||
--- --- --- --- ---
Art Thread - TV2
--- --- --- --- ---

MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro
MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro

May 14th, 2015, 7:48 am #14

Updates:

I've played with the program a bit more. My current plan is to try to do map design first and then build the game around that. TV (and SOTF as a whole) has the advantage of being very area-based, meaning that if I set it up so time passes, I can still effectively copy/paste the maps for each time cycle. The basic mechanics here are likely to be mostly be based around talking to characters and picking options off of menus; I don't think RPGMaker combat lends itself particularly well to an SOTF style. I don't expect stats/level-ups to hold any meaning or place for this.

Apparently RPGMaker XP does not allow portraits tied to text without a bit of finagling. That will definitely be on the list of things to do, but I'm going to be putting the visuals a ways down the list of priorities (but huge thanks to all who have volunteered to help there; I will get in contact if/when I hit that stage).

When it comes to audio design, I've thought a bit about this. I sort of like the idea of character themes for recurrent characters, but on the whole am unsure how many of those there will be and thus am going to say scene-based will generally be safer. When I settle on a few lead/recurrent characters, I'll note it and see what folks can come up with, though. I think on the whole it'll likely work best for most of the soundtrack to be based on events or locations, however. Also, the MIDI thing: MIDI only is a program limitation of XP, apparent--VX allows for MP3 and OGG but also looks like it requires way more legwork for sprites/tilesets/map creation, so I think I'm going to stick to XP (and thus be stuck with MIDI).

Thoughts on map design:

I'm going to be cutting the map down notably for the sake of keeping this to a reasonable scale. I'm thinking eight to twelve areas should be sufficient. I'd like to pick areas that are iconic, unique, and not too hard to create with the XP tilesets (though I'm going to do some serious digging for free tilesets because otherwise everything's gonna look like a medieval village). I'm gonna organize them with loose at best faithfulness to the TV2 map.

Right now, my thoughts for areas are as follows (please note that these are judgements on how I think they'll translate, not their use in the actual game in most cases):

Include:
  1. The Bull Craps Casino and/or The Cigarette Holder Theatre: The Casino has become pretty iconic for TV2, but on the other hand I'd have to find a tileset with slot machines and stuff. The theatre can be fudged with curtains, which are already easily available.
  2. The Bamboo Boardwalk: As an outside area with a bunch of smaller shops, this offers a lot of potential for sub-areas.
  3. Open Air Cabaret: A big outdoor area with an easy design and some room for visually interesting sequences makes this a good option.
  4. The Nature Walk/Orchard: Rolled into one or just flat out excluding the orchard. An outdoor area likely to be visually distinct from the others.
  5. The Lānaʻi Hotel: The hotel and the condos are similar in function/design, but the hotel has some more iconic trappings in the form of the piano and is also I think more evocative for this sort of thing.
  6. The World Oyster: Another varied area of smaller indoors sets. Potentially can be combined with the boardwalk if the shops there aren't interesting enough.
  7. Sunshine Tower: May be a pain to get looking good, but it's rather iconic and offers setting options not available elsewhere.
  8. The Ice Palace: Possibly reskinned to be more palace and less ice as tilesets permit. Another area that's immediately striking on a visual level.
  9. Palms Spa and Salon: Basically fills the same function as the beauty parlor, but with greater variation. A more typical indoor area.
  10. Tour Guide and Transportation Centre: The one I'm least sure of--largely a typical indoor setting centralized in one building.
Exclude:
  1. Lernean Beauty Parlor: A reasonably evocative setting rendered redundant in a smaller-scale project by the probably-more-interesting spa.
  2. The Aqua-Museum: Cool area that would basically be impossible to build without extensive digging for tilesets/creating custom stuff.
  3. The Pa’ani Sports Centre: This one flew oddly under the radar until late game, features a good number of specialized things, and seems potentially frustrating in a less-interactive medium (by which I mean not being able to steal stuff would suck and being able to do so might take a ton of work).
  4. Aloha Daycare Centre: An interesting area but not one that really beats out any of the other interesting areas or seems totally necessary.
  5. The Beach: Wide open areas without much going on can be tricky to make non-ugly. Might be combinable with the boardwalk.
  6. Space Bam Alley: Of the three clustered specialized areas (this, the casino, and the theatre) this is both the most problematic to translate and the least iconic feeling.
  7. Mauna Loa Condominium: Basically fulfills the same function as the hotel. Large, multi-story building with a bunch of rooms.
  8. Cabana Cul de Sac: I feel weird about cutting so many of the residential areas, but this one is a bit less appealing than the more distinct areas and would be a lot of work due to multiple inside spaces.
If you have strong feelings that an area should or should not be included, though, let me know. No promises I'll agree, but I'll at least listen.

Also, if you have any sources for tilesets that are free and legal, I'd be very grateful. Will do my own research in the coming days.

The Plot:

Basically, to best feature a bunch of characters and to some extent capture elements of the SOTF experience, I think the most logical plot will just be the game. The player will control one character--ideally one with some ambiguity of intent and some internal conflict (I have a few ideas here) and then will be left to fumble around. I can almost certainly rig interaction trees with most characters, allowing you to, among other things, try to attack them and meet with either success or failure (which may or may not mean death). I'd super love to let you recruit allies and bring them along/have them influence interactions, but whether or not such things are feasible remains to be seen. I've played RPGMaker games that do basically this, but they don't involve as many forks as I'm expecting this one to.

Most characters will probably feature briefly as encounters. Likely there will be a few time cycles, and different characters will show up at different places doing different things at specific times (like, maybe in the first cycle a couple characters are at the orchard. Then one kills the other and runs off--the body lies around the orchard for the rest of the game and the character who flees may be found in some other area in a later cycle).

This is probably way over-ambitious, and I may well scale it down more/the depth may just not be there. I don't want expectations high because, once again, all I know about what I'm doing is intuited by playing a bunch of other people's RPGMaker games and playing with the program for a few hours. This also will not be a speedy process. I just wanted to give a slightly more concrete explanation of my aims here.

Also, cross-posting this for the benefit of folks who only check one site.

EDIT/BUMP (Did you know staff can bump threads without posting to them?)

Also, huge thanks to Bear, who passed me a massive wealth of resources tonight including a key to VX Ace from last year's Bundle and also a website for the artistically-impaired to make sprites in (may contain neither English-language text nor any method of saving sprites except screenshotting).

I stress-tested the latter with one of TV2's more distinct characters and the results came out pretty acceptably:
The cloak makes the beard a bit hard to see, but it's a WiP draft anyways. So I'm probably going to use this for spriting since it takes an absolutely massive chunk out of the work entailed in that, and I can make any touch-ups in Photoshop (because in their infinite wisdom they only include an ethnicity slider for female sprites, among other really baffling decisions).

So yeah, just another little update/some heartening progress when it comes to actually being able to sprite characters. Though I still have to figure out how to import them and all that good stuff.
Current characters:

The Program: V3 Prologue:
Mina Mashall - Digital Voice Recorder - Making a good impression - "I didn't know you felt so strongly about me."
Erik Bell - Jericho .941 - Having lunch - "May I?"

SECOND CHANCES: V2:
Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
EW4: Jewel Evans - Chatterbox Communicator Headsets (0/5) - Online - ELIMINATED - "Scars are just reminders to be better next time."
[+] Spoiler
The Program V1:
M06: Karl Chalmers - American Flag - The Mess Hall - DECEASED
F09: Nichole "Nikki" Campbell - 6 Pack of Beer (0/6) - Open Ground - DECEASED

The Program V2:
M08: Alexander Bonham - Steel Folding Chair - The Pine Stands - DECEASED
F20: Robin Pounds - Stress Ball - Mountain Track - DECEASED

SOTF-TV V1:
PRP3: Karen Ruiz - Glock 17 (0/17 +1 bullet), WASP Knife, Swordcane - Over and out - ELIMINATED - "I don't find pointless death funny."
W02: Renée Carlson - Straight Razor - The Resort Beach - DECEASED

SOTF-TV V2:
SS4: Austin White - Gold Retractable Spyglass - The World Oyster - DECEASED

Second Chances V1:
G16: Nicole Husher (thanks to TBH!) - Colt Single Action Army - The Makeshift Hospital - DECEASED

Second Chances V2:
B12: Richard Ormsby - x4 Flashbang Grenades - The Ravine - DECEASED
B22: William Lohman - Winchester Model 1897 - The Ravine - DECEASED

BR AU:
B15: Shuya Nanahara - No Weapon - The School Building - DECEASED
B20: Kyoichi Motobuchi - Bulletproof Vest - Tourist Association - DECEASED
G01: Mizuho Inada - Grenades (0/2) - Clinic - DECEASED

SOTF Evolution:
Subject C01: Samantha Reynolds - Facial Morphing - The Cove - ELIMINATED

VIRTUA SOTF:
M11: Richard Ormsby - Cowbell - The Corssroads Bridge - GAME OVER
M22: William Lohman - Hockey Stick - The Corssroads Bridge - GAME OVER
If you want an honest assessment of your character's storyline, feel free to PM me and I'll whip one up as soon as I am able.

Thanks to Bear/Frogue/Kotorikun/Ryuki for the avatar art.

Veteran
Veteran

May 14th, 2015, 10:57 am #15

The bump is pretty mindblowing o_o

Also, who is the sprite? Is it Asa? Cause he's one of the few black-haired-beard-wearers.

Waitno, it could be Vahka, right? Oh, the cape actually indicates that he is Vahka.