General Goose
Veteran

May 25th, 2015, 9:08 pm #31

Yagmur's fingers look great, Toben! Actually quite impressed you got them showing up in sprite form without overdoing it!

And yeah, rest of the sprites look great too, but yeah, don't worry about the fingers.
SOTF-TV V2:
GH4: Yagmur Tekindor

THE PROGRAM:
Alexander Adam Tartaglia

SECOND CHANCES:
Alex Tartaglia V2

June 18th, 2015, 4:49 pm #32

Let me know if you need sound effects, Toben! I'm good at those.
SOTF SCDos
Brandon Baxter is holding it all together. -- Keep it secret, keep it safe.
Kasumi White is writing her story. -- She could do this.
[+] Spoiler
SOTF TV2
BB3: Matthew Weiss called a play and saw it fail. -- I'll explain the plan when we're all here.
CS3: Dougie Sharpe lost her and faded away. -- Okay.
[+] Spoiler
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: C$6932 (C$1929 with sales)
  • Games owned: 514
  • Games not played: 257 (50%)
  • Hours on record: 1,530.2h

MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro
MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro

June 18th, 2015, 7:21 pm #33

Will do!

This has been on a bit of a standstill for the past few weeks due to RL stuff and then the Steam Sale. I'm basically waiting to see if a few more nice pieces of software go on bigger discount so I can save two bucks or whatever. ><
Current characters:

The Program: V3 Prologue:
Mina Mashall - Digital Voice Recorder - Making a good impression - "I didn't know you felt so strongly about me."
Erik Bell - Jericho .941 - Having lunch - "May I?"

SECOND CHANCES: V2:
Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
EW4: Jewel Evans - Chatterbox Communicator Headsets (0/5) - Online - ELIMINATED - "Scars are just reminders to be better next time."
[+] Spoiler
The Program V1:
M06: Karl Chalmers - American Flag - The Mess Hall - DECEASED
F09: Nichole "Nikki" Campbell - 6 Pack of Beer (0/6) - Open Ground - DECEASED

The Program V2:
M08: Alexander Bonham - Steel Folding Chair - The Pine Stands - DECEASED
F20: Robin Pounds - Stress Ball - Mountain Track - DECEASED

SOTF-TV V1:
PRP3: Karen Ruiz - Glock 17 (0/17 +1 bullet), WASP Knife, Swordcane - Over and out - ELIMINATED - "I don't find pointless death funny."
W02: Renée Carlson - Straight Razor - The Resort Beach - DECEASED

SOTF-TV V2:
SS4: Austin White - Gold Retractable Spyglass - The World Oyster - DECEASED

Second Chances V1:
G16: Nicole Husher (thanks to TBH!) - Colt Single Action Army - The Makeshift Hospital - DECEASED

Second Chances V2:
B12: Richard Ormsby - x4 Flashbang Grenades - The Ravine - DECEASED
B22: William Lohman - Winchester Model 1897 - The Ravine - DECEASED

BR AU:
B15: Shuya Nanahara - No Weapon - The School Building - DECEASED
B20: Kyoichi Motobuchi - Bulletproof Vest - Tourist Association - DECEASED
G01: Mizuho Inada - Grenades (0/2) - Clinic - DECEASED

SOTF Evolution:
Subject C01: Samantha Reynolds - Facial Morphing - The Cove - ELIMINATED

VIRTUA SOTF:
M11: Richard Ormsby - Cowbell - The Corssroads Bridge - GAME OVER
M22: William Lohman - Hockey Stick - The Corssroads Bridge - GAME OVER
If you want an honest assessment of your character's storyline, feel free to PM me and I'll whip one up as soon as I am able.

Thanks to Bear/Frogue/Kotorikun/Ryuki for the avatar art.

June 19th, 2015, 6:03 am #34

You're doing Steam correctly, then!
SOTF SCDos
Brandon Baxter is holding it all together. -- Keep it secret, keep it safe.
Kasumi White is writing her story. -- She could do this.
[+] Spoiler
SOTF TV2
BB3: Matthew Weiss called a play and saw it fail. -- I'll explain the plan when we're all here.
CS3: Dougie Sharpe lost her and faded away. -- Okay.
[+] Spoiler
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: C$6932 (C$1929 with sales)
  • Games owned: 514
  • Games not played: 257 (50%)
  • Hours on record: 1,530.2h

Serpico
Regular
Serpico
Regular

June 20th, 2015, 2:15 am #35

Hope you don't mind but I'm going to drop some free for non commercial resources, because. Majority compatible with VX ACE. Music generally requires a simple credit, most people do this in a notepad document etc and package it with the game. I'll edit as I go along, it's nice to have them easily accessable to link back to. Or I could replace the text with a drive document to all the stuff/resource I collect in a bit.
[+] Spoiler
http://dig.ccmixter.org/ Free music, usually ok for even for commercial work. Double check copyrights, but most ask only for a credit.
Reccomended people for starters: Snowflake, CDK (update when not sleep deprived)

http://freemusicarchive.org/
Organised via genre, this is a little less flexible with material and copyright but good. I like to go through the chiptune category.

http://www.presence-of-music.com/
>Free for non-commercial projects, don't redistribute songs on other sites.
Very recognisable music, particularly in the horror RPG fan community, notably featured in The Witch's House game. A japanese site with decent English navigation.

http://www.senses-circuit.com/
Non-commercial free, credit by linking the website.
Another Japanese site, run through google translate if it's hard to navigate but google translate helps.
There's an alright selection to choose from, but the music can get very RPG-ish. Still worth a look through.
[+] Spoiler
https://vxresource.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... s-tileset/
Tilesets, Mack in particular is a popular choice and matches the default closely. + more stuff on site.

EDIT: Friend passed me this pretty sexy map generator
http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~am ... /demo.html

This dude also put all the tiles for XP in a single sheet for convenience:
http://downloads.rpg-palace.com/details.php?id=250
Galv scripts (Only VXACE compatible), worth taking a look at if you want extra functionality and effects in the game but scripts make a project twice as complex sometimes.
http://galvs-scripts.com/
wrote:This has been on a bit of a standstill for the past few weeks due to RL stuff and then the Steam Sale. I'm basically waiting to see if a few more nice pieces of software go on bigger discount so I can save two bucks or whatever. ><
On that note: Tyranobuilder is at 25% off and pretty cheap Visual Novel engine: http://store.steampowered.com/app/345370/
It is also less frustrating than Ren'py (A free engine) imo, since I got a pretty title screen in approx 30 mins as opposed to 5 hours of crying, deleting code and then crying more before just taking someone else's templates. Note: the price will apparently increase as development of the features continues.

Tripple dipple edit note: I didn't know Corin's sprites were actually done, so I was super pleasantly surpised to see the massive list of sprites at the top.
[+] Spoiler
||SS5 - Corin Albanesi || TV2 - Silver Scorpions || Status: Recovery ||
Thread count: || 1 || 2 || 3 || 4 || 5 || 6 || 7 || 8 || 9 || 10 || 11 ||12 || 13 || Finale: Coming soon ||
--- --- --- --- ---
Art Thread - TV2
--- --- --- --- ---

MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro
MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro

June 20th, 2015, 3:40 am #36

Thanks for the tips and resources, and for the Sprite Generator link in the first place. I'd say these are 75% that, 25% this other program based on that that I found, and 5% tweaking stuff in Photoshop and hating the world for it. But yeah, links are super welcome! There's a chance I may redo some/all of the Sprites depending on how stuff goes, but I'm generally pretty pleased with them now. Also got portraits with dialogue to work on XP albeit in a somewhat slapdash fashion. Will be doing some more poking soon!
Current characters:

Mina Mashall - Digital Voice Recorder - Making a good impression - "I didn't know you felt so strongly about me."

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
EW4: Jewel Evans - Chatterbox Communicator Headsets (0/5) - Online - ELIMINATED - "Scars are just reminders to be better next time."
[+] Spoiler
The Program V1:

The Program V2:

SOTF-TV V1:
PRP3: Karen Ruiz - Glock 17 (0/17 +1 bullet), WASP Knife, Swordcane - Over and out - ELIMINATED - "I don't find pointless death funny."

SOTF-TV V2:

Second Chances V1:
G16: Nicole Husher (thanks to TBH!) - Colt Single Action Army - The Makeshift Hospital - DECEASED

Second Chances V2:

BR AU:

SOTF Evolution:

VIRTUA SOTF:
If you want an honest assessment of your character's storyline, feel free to PM me and I'll whip one up as soon as I am able.

Fenrir
Veteran
Fenrir
Veteran

July 9th, 2015, 8:07 pm #37

I don't know if this will be of any use to you but Humble Bundle is selling a collection of game development tools and resources for a very low price.

Program V3 Prologue
Michael Bair - Proud to be an American
Quote: N/A
Weapon: Brass Knuckles, Heckler & Koch FABARM FP6 Entry
[+] Spoiler
Evo:
Subject C05: Simon Matthews
Ability: Scorching Palms
Cause of Death: Shot by Ashlie Jackson

SOFT-TV:
Team 13 D: Simon Porter - Silver Dragon Academy
Weapon: Stun Gun (6x Cartridges)
Cause of Death: Shot by Glen Bole

Orange Team No. 1: Vincent Sullivan - Detroit
Weapons: Digital Camera + Desert Eagle .50 (6/7, 7/7, 46/56 in Box) + SPAS-12 (7/8, 19/30 in Box) + 1x Walkie-Talkie + Bullet Proof Vest + Claymore
Discarded Weapons: 3x Shards of a Plate (On Tiffany Dexter's Body) + 1x Walkie-Talkie (Taken by Karen Ruiz) + Wooden Boat Oar (Left in the Forest) + Colt Anaconda .45 Magnum (2/6, 30/36 in Box) (Given to Brennan O'Brian)
Cause of Death: Lack of medical care

Virtua SOTF:
M07 - Alex Henry - Alderbrook High School - Music lover, Theatre lover and Violinist
Inventory: Inner-tube
Current Score: 0
Healthbar: 0%
Cause of Death: Shot by arrow and then drowned

The Program V2:
M10: Aaron Chalmers
Weapon: Lasso
Quote: "Feels good. You did a great job.”
Cause Of Death: Head Bashed By Anastasia Flores

M11: Gerald Lawson
Weapon: Picnic Basket and Apple Pie
Quote: “Aww, man. You killed the Furby.”
Cause Of Death: Shot by Anastasia Flores

SOTF-TV V2:
GH2 - Alice Young: Whittree Secondary School
Quote: “I made so many mistakes.”
Weapon: X-Force 850 Pro; 1 Arrow loaded, 3 ready to go, 7 in reserve.

AE3 - Shawn Thornton: Davison Secondary School
Quote: “That’s what this group is right? Your plan? Another choice. A peaceful option. A different way.”
Weapon: None

Second Chances V2:
Aaron Chalmers - All American 2.0
Quote: "Fuck off Michael."
Weapon: Philadelphia Derringer

Serpico
Regular
Serpico
Regular

July 10th, 2015, 6:32 am #38

That bundle is completely worth the 12 or so dollars, mostly because I've been eyeing spriter pro for a while now.
[+] Spoiler
||SS5 - Corin Albanesi || TV2 - Silver Scorpions || Status: Recovery ||
Thread count: || 1 || 2 || 3 || 4 || 5 || 6 || 7 || 8 || 9 || 10 || 11 ||12 || 13 || Finale: Coming soon ||
--- --- --- --- ---
Art Thread - TV2
--- --- --- --- ---

MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro
MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro

July 10th, 2015, 6:44 am #39

It is super incredibly helpful! Thanks for the heads-up! I will definitely pick that up and see about swiping tile sets and so on.

As a quick note, this is definitely still happening--I've just been swamped with some school project stuff that's been eating a lot of my creative energy of late. I did get a couple more sprites into the OP but didn't note it; it's current again on all volunteered characters (and if anyone else wants to toss their kids in, they are still welcome to do so!
Current characters:

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
[+] Spoiler
The Program V1:

The Program V2:

SOTF-TV V1:

SOTF-TV V2:

Second Chances V1:

Second Chances V2:

BR AU:

SOTF Evolution:

VIRTUA SOTF:

MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro
MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro

February 23rd, 2016, 3:50 am #40

Hey, everyone. It's been almost a year since I posted here. For the bulk of that time, very little got done on this project. RL took up most of my focus, and I lacked the attention or energy to do any work on this.

That said, I have an announcement to make:

The game is still a long ways from done, but you can download the demo here.

You'll need to extract the .rar file to play, but it should just run after that (open the game folder and click on "Game." to make it go). Also, some credits for the demo build: the loading screen art is my mangling of Frogue's amazing art of Michael, and the music is by the super talented and wonderful RC.

The demo covers the prologue of the game. It roughly replaces pregame/sandbox as an introduction to some of the characters and the setting. As mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, I've chosen Michael Robinson as the perspective character for the game. As such, the prologue covers a snippet of pre-SOTF time in Whittree, Oklahoma.

All Whittree characters I've been approved to use are featured in the prologue, to greater or lesser degrees. The prologue lays out the rough style I intend to use for the whole game: largely decision-based, with some level of branching paths leading in many cases to different results.

When it comes to overall game design, I'm trying to scale my ambitions to a reasonable level. As such, the game will allow you to play through and interact with the TV2 game, but it's not going to give you total freedom at all times. I hope to offer multiple choices for almost every interaction, but their results may end up the same in some circumstances. Characters will be killable, but it won't be all characters and it won't be every time you meet them. I hope to achieve a satisfying level of complexity without driving myself insane. Think Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book instead of, say, Morrowind.

In the interests of open communication, the prologue is basically the sum total of the completed work thus far. It took quite a while—I spent most of my free time over a week writing the script and implementing it in the engine. This means the overall game completion will not be speedy. If it's done in six months, it will be a miracle by any measure. It may take years. It may never be completed. RL has a way of getting in the way of things, and this isn't the center of my life. I do want to keep expectations low.

That said, I have narrowed down the arena to a manageable number of areas to be featured, and I have the first phase of the game summarized and planned. I expect the game to include a prologue, seven phases on the resort, and then maybe an epilogue (or ten :P).

A few thoughts:

If you've expressed interest in helping in some fashion, I'd still love to work with you! When I was swamped, I lost track of a lot of things. I've contacted a handful of people since, but I don't think I've gotten to everyone. If I missed you, I swear it's not personal and if you still have any interest in participating I'd love to have you on board in some capacity.

If you are a TV2 handler whose character is featured and something really bugs you about the way I've treated them thus far, this is your one and only chance to get in feedback and help me right things (or to withdraw usage permission, though I'd much rather work with you to make sure everything's satisfactory). I'm making choices, cuts, etc. to fit the overall story and the game medium, but I do want to try to leave folks satisfied. Please drop me a line within a week if you want to address concerns.

If you are a TV2 handler who did not offer your character for usage, but now you would like to, there is absolutely 100% still room. The prologue itself has two open desks still (hidden through crafty camera angles at one point) and adding another row is trivially easy. And that's not even touching the Davison characters, who haven't turned up yet! Because I only have the first phase sketched out, and because even that has not progressed to scripting, it's really easy to fit characters in. Let's say there's a soft one week deadline for this, too; characters can still possibly be added afterwards, but are likely to be shunted into pretty minimal roles or get their stories and arcs tweaked more than they otherwise might. I make no guarantees your character will show up at all if you ask after a week from now.

A character's rough level of screen time/importance is quite likely to roughly mirror what they had in the actual TV2 game. There are absolutely some exceptions, but don't expect too hugely much variation, I guess is what I'm saying. There are a number of reasons for this. It's harder to stay true to a character's concept and feel while fabricating events for them forty deaths after where they kicked it in the actual game. Also, any major branch carries potential ramifications for the entire game from that point forwards, which means if there are multiple potential fates for each character in each phase that echo through each other event, that leaves me with something like a hundred variations for absolutely everything that happens in the game, which again goes back to the "this is not my life and I'm not going insane over it" side of things. I'm mostly trying to keep expectations reasonable with all these caveats.

One feature is not currently and may never be implemented: portraits during dialogue, which I addressed a bit in past comments. I'm sort of torn on it. Basically, the issue is as such: there are a lot of characters featured in the game. We've got over fifty students, plus up to two dozen supporting cast members (currently about ten, with a lot of potential for more to crop up near the end of the project/in epilogues). I might look into using Facemaker to create portraits, since I think having portraits does look better and makes certain dialogue exchanges easier to follow. I need to figure out what the usage permissions for Facemaker are, though. There's also a portrait maker in a different RPG Maker engine, and I do have access to that. I haven't played with it much, but it could also work.

If someone wanted to create art, I'd be super grateful, but there are some catches I feel obligated to mention. Basically, I feel like the game's aesthetic will be best served by being consistent, so I'd really want all portraits done in the same style/by the same person. This, again, runs into the issue that there are like 60-70 characters with speaking roles in this game, which I imagine is a ridiculous amount of work, even if we're talking fairly small square portraits. I'd also want to make sure everything looks decent, so at the very least solid scans would be necessary. Finally, there's zero guarantee this game gets completed to any degree further than where it's at right now, so there could be no payoff for the aforementioned massive effort. If you're interested anyways, PM me and we can talk, but I'm all sorts of iffy here just because of the amount of work and my own track record of being inconsistent.

I think that's the rough overview of where everything is. I'd also love any feedback, comments, things you liked, things you didn't, etc. I hope I'll be able to finish this and make it something cool!

There was at least one other really important thing I wanted to discuss, but I can't remember, so stay tuned. P.S. Seth, check your PMs! I promised RC I'd send you something related to this.
Current characters:

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
[+] Spoiler
The Program V1:

The Program V2:

SOTF-TV V1:

SOTF-TV V2:

Second Chances V1:

Second Chances V2:

BR AU:

SOTF Evolution:

VIRTUA SOTF:

MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro
MurderWeasel
Mini Maestro

February 28th, 2016, 9:37 am #41

A couple quick notes here:

1. It's been almost a week, so if you'd like to put forth your characters and have not yet or would like to chat about the portrayal of your characters and have not yet, please drop me a line ASAP. As mentioned, I can probably add characters beyond the week deadline but most likely they'll be in increasingly minor/sidelined roles, because I'm moving into fairly serious outlining of major game events.

2. The site I have the demo hosted on may not allow me to reupload it after it lapses in a couple days, as it gave me some grief when I tried to post a bugfixed version a couple days ago. I don't plan for the demo to be offline for long, but it may go down for a day or two while I investigate hosting options. If you want it and it's not online at the moment, PM me an email address to send it to and I can just email it to you directly.
Current characters:

Assorted flora and fauna

SOTF-TV V2:
[+] Spoiler
The Program V1:

The Program V2:

SOTF-TV V1:

SOTF-TV V2:

Second Chances V1:

Second Chances V2:

BR AU:

SOTF Evolution:

VIRTUA SOTF: