[Playstation 3] LittleBigPlanet

Reviews are composed and submitted here for criticism and approval. Members can post and reply to topics here.

[Playstation 3] LittleBigPlanet

Pyro
Family
Pyro
Family

29 Aug 2009, 07:05 #1

So here I am back to revitalize this section with a review for LittleBigPlanet, with hopefully more coming soon.

LittleBigPlanet was a highly anticipated game before its release exclusively on the PS3, and it certainly lived up to almost all of its hype. Not only is it a fantastic single player game, but the multiplayer also adds an incredibly large amount to the game. In addition, the level editor is one of the most incredible I’ve ever seen. Sure the game has its issues, but that doesn’t stop it from being one of the best games I’ve played this year.

The single player campaign has a lot to offer. The first few levels give you plenty of practice with the controls, but thankfully it doesn’t feel like a bunch of tutorial levels. Instead, it immerses you right into the storyline. Now granted, there is something to be desired if you are looking for deep storyline beyond “Quick! Go to the end of the level because _____ even though there’s no time limit!” followed by: “Hooray! You’ve reached the end of the level! Now go to the next level because of this arbitrary and seemingly random reason!” as told to you by odd looking characters throughout the world. Really though, you can easily ignore the dialogue and just enjoy the various and extremely well-designed levels.

Even without much of a storyline to motivate you through the levels, you still have the motivation of finding all of the items strewn throughout the levels especially if you are like myself and are an avid explorer trying to get all of the hidden items in video games. And have I mentioned the beautifully designed levels?

The items you find are everything from stickers to whole objects that you can then use in the level editor to build your very own levels. If your goal is to pick up the game straight out of the box and start building Super Mario world 1-1, then you are going to be sorely mistaken. For one thing, the mods will quickly delete it for copyright infringement, and for another thing when you first start the game you have pretty much nothing in the way of level building items. This is where all those items come in that you find throughout the game. So there’s another reason why you want to find as many items as possible. This is one of the places where the game shines, because while in most games tediously playing every level over and over again trying to find all of the hidden items sounds like a real chore, in this game it isn’t so bad because of, once again, the quirky and ingeniously designed levels.

One place where the game falls short of its expectations is the physics. Jumping can be as annoying and frustrating as listening to Glenn Beck speak. While this might deter some people, if you are a stubborn bastard like I am then it will only drive you more to beat the level, but not more driven to listen to Glenn Beck. He just makes me cry.

Anyway, so the physics can sometimes be a bit off, sending you to your death on a number of occasions until you get it just right or the game gods are done having their fun with you, but overall it isn’t enough to tarnish the overall image and quality of the game.

Co-op play is also another great feature of the game. Most levels having hidden areas that require at least two players to cooperate and unlock access to more of the level’s items, and playing the levels with other people can add another dimension to the game, which in turn adds even more replayability. Unfortunately some of the physics issues can be more prominent with multiple people trying to go across the same obstacles.

The lives system may feel a bit outdated to some people, but it does add another level of challenge. You get three chances to reappear at each checkpoint before having to restart the level, which can be a bit infuriating. However, the only people this should deter are the extreme casual players. The game definitely has a fun, quirky, even family-friendly, atmosphere, but it’s still a definite challenge to beat the game. Although there are plenty of places in the game where you go from annoyed to warm and fuzzy all over. Especially when it comes to customizing your own character.

On top of the amazing level editor, you can also customize your character on a truly epic level. This is where most games get it wrong: sure I want to fully customize my character, but on the other hand I don’t want to control the weight and length ratios of my eyebrows, cheeks, and toe knuckles. I just don’t care. On the other hand I want enough depth that it really feels like my character, and LittleBigPlanet has found the perfect balance in this area. You may not control your character’s height and weight, but you can control the material Sackboy is made of, and his entire costume piece by piece.

Here we come to the level editor. The tutorials are easy to follow and afterwards you can completely immerse yourself into practically making your own game. You can either start from your own blank canvas or use one of the templates that you found in an item bubble somewhere in the game. Even if you want to start from a blank canvas, the templates can definitely add more to your level, possibly making it on par with the levels in the game. I’d personally like to see a kind of “trip around the world” level. Every detail of the level is yours to control, and it can truly be turned into something spectacular. Unfortunately the control issues do tend to creep up again sometimes. However I never had much of a problem with it thanks to the handy invention of the concept of “undo”. Although it can be a little annoying. An excellent example is drawing a straight line. Good bloody luck without the patience of a highly-disciplined Buddhist monk. Nonetheless it is extremely innovative and you can then share your creation with the world.

Lastly, we come to one aspect that I don’t normally discuss in my reviews: the sound. The reason why I don’t normally discuss it is because unless it makes me want to take a cheese grater to my ear I’m not typically going to talk about it because good sound simply adds to the atmosphere in a way that you don’t usually consciously notice. That is what makes good sound, so if I don’t notice it then the sound is probably good. However, LittleBigPlanet stands out here in a fantastic way. The usually-cheerful tunes playing in the background are excellent to the point where when I set the controller down I don’t mind sitting back and listening to them for a while. I especially enjoyed the tunes in the Central America levels, but that’s just me (or at least, those are the first that I remember and enjoy while writing this).

So while the physics may leave something to be desired, the innovative gameplay and level editor can give you hours upon hours of enjoyment, making this game fully worth every penny for those with a Playstation 3. LittleBigPlanet is a fantastic game that I would recommend to any but the most hardcore, testosterone-filled people who can’t take it if a game doesn’t involve shooting something’s brains all over the walls every two minutes.
<center>
Rabid Panda wrote:I've never played brain academy.  I'm smartiful enough already.
</center><center>
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 07:54 AM wrote:
Killjoy @ Feb 4 2011, 11:40 AM wrote:
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 02:50 AM wrote: Should we be Matrix dodging sarcasm bullets right about now?
Your figurative language maneuvers will not save you.
Probably not, but they will look fucking cool.
</center>

The Demoman
Family

29 Aug 2009, 13:27 #2

Good to hear that the game lived up to all the hype, 'cos that is a rare site nowadays.
FUCKING UP MY ACCOUNT MUST'VE TAKEN A REAL TACTICAL GEN-

Nexsus
Family

29 Aug 2009, 20:22 #3

Good review, but one note, people considering buying this game should wait for the Game of the Year version coming soon which comes bundled with some free expansions and extras.

I love this game, and it is the main reason I will be picking up a PS3 (Slim).

LuckyStar

07 Apr 2010, 22:26 #4

There's a Sonic thing out now, right?

Ziggy
Ziggy

10 Apr 2010, 04:38 #5

LuckyStar @ Apr 7 2010, 10:26 PM wrote: There's a Sonic thing out now, right?
Oh yes! I downloaded the pack about 2 weeks ago. It's a pretty cool pak.

~MR_ZIGGZ