Mans Most Dangerous Myth

Create a debate, come here just to talk or discuss about anything that doesn't belong to other forums.

Mans Most Dangerous Myth

Rai
Family
Rai
Family
Joined: 20 Aug 2006, 02:01

26 Dec 2010, 21:42 #1

Title of a book I've picked up and been reading and wanted to know you guys the opinions on it. In this book it correctly defines and breaks down the root of the word "Race" and how, as a whole, it does not exist. In fact it goes as far as to say that the term is a myth. A myth devised from a lack of understanding of the biological differences that has occurred between the divided humans around the world. It also explains how despite how dangerous and separating the term race is we all accept it in everyday society as a truth. Thus resulting in lie that who you are is greatly affected by your birth origin.

So whats your opinions on race as a whole? Think it really exists?
I myself found it hard to keep my mind from dividing people by their origins before I was enlightened by this book. But think about it, everyone lives by the notion that their origin is what makes them who they are. Which I now see is not true at the least.
Reply
Like

Echo
Family
Joined: 15 Oct 2006, 14:52

27 Dec 2010, 22:29 #2

Race does exist. It is as plausible as birds of the same genus found in different parts of the world exhibiting physical and behavorial differences (Darwinism comes into play here)

What is wrong, however, is embracing racial stereotypes as 100% without taking into account cultural aspects of a person's upbringing.

I think you're misinterpreting the book. Race does exist. It is our way of classifying people from different parts of the world. As far as I'm concerned, there are only three real races in the world: Negroes, Caucasians, and Mongolians. The rest of the world is split into sub-races derived from mixes from these three main races.

Feel free to argue any of my beliefs, I haven't looked into them enough to know if they're actual facts.
Reply
Like

Rai
Family
Rai
Family
Joined: 20 Aug 2006, 02:01

28 Dec 2010, 02:41 #3

Echo @ Dec 27 2010, 10:29 PM wrote: Race does exist. It is as plausible as birds of the same genus found in different parts of the world exhibiting physical and behavorial differences (Darwinism comes into play here)

What is wrong, however, is embracing racial stereotypes as 100% without taking into account cultural aspects of a person's upbringing.

I think you're misinterpreting the book. Race does exist. It is our way of classifying people from different parts of the world. As far as I'm concerned, there are only three real races in the world: Negroes, Caucasians, and Mongolians. The rest of the world is split into sub-races derived from mixes from these three main races.

Feel free to argue any of my beliefs, I haven't looked into them enough to know if they're actual facts.
Negroes, Caucasians, and Mongolians? Unless I'm mistaken those have no origin in their definition to a specific country, or "place" rather, for people to be directly identified as such. If skin is the way people divide race, then it does not exist and is instead what you may understand as Racist.

Those three terms are just another way to divide human beings into sub groups.
Reply
Like

Killjoy
Family
Joined: 27 Jan 2009, 04:22

28 Dec 2010, 06:39 #4

First, he can argue "race" as a term is being referenced incorrectly (such as a "myth"), but saying it's not real or does not exist is silly, as it's an English word and can be found in the dictionary.

I do feel that people forget too often about origins. Whether you're religious or not, you must come to terms with the fact that early humans must have been involved in some closer in-breeding than we'd find "socially acceptable" today, and that ultimately we're all related in some way.

"Race," to me, seperates certain biological traits from others. For example, someone born with light hair is called "blond," and someone born with brown hair is called a "brunette." Similarly, someone with dark skin and certain facial features and other genetic traits (as medically, race can certainly play into one's natural immunity and susceptibility to certain conditions) can be referred to as "black," and someone with with lighter skin and other features can be called "white," etc. Simply for reference's sake. If we did not use these qualifiers, how would doctors say that, for example, blacks are three times more likely to die of asthma than whites? You need a term to reference each group, and currently that word is "race."

Where is gets tricky is when you categorize these. Go to Sudan and you'll find that it's not hard to say "Oh, he's a black guy." However, take an American boy with one black and one white parent. The kid is racially categorized as "black," not white, and given African-American benefits and labeled as such on forms, even though he's just as white as he is black.

It's tricky, but I feel your author is much too definitive in his perspective. You can't qualify a claim like that so universally.
<center>
Echo wrote:Gonna make bipolar bitch a CD and show up at her house without asking her.
</center>
<CENTER>GUN NUTS
Web Comic
Current Issue: #21</CENTER>

Issues: #01 #02 #03 #04 #05 #06 #07 #08 #09 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24
Reply
Like

Pyro
Family
Pyro
Family
Joined: 29 Aug 2006, 22:47

28 Dec 2010, 20:15 #5

On top of what Brute said: Many of you have seen pictures of me, so with that in mind, on paper I am Latino. I qualify for and have received Latino college scholarships. While it can be useful for medical purposes such as what Brute pointed out, many people don't seem to realize that the lines between different races can be a little more fluid than we think.
<center>
Rabid Panda wrote:I've never played brain academy.  I'm smartiful enough already.
</center><center>
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 07:54 AM wrote:
Killjoy @ Feb 4 2011, 11:40 AM wrote:
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 02:50 AM wrote: Should we be Matrix dodging sarcasm bullets right about now?
Your figurative language maneuvers will not save you.
Probably not, but they will look fucking cool.
</center>
Reply
Like

Echo
Family
Joined: 15 Oct 2006, 14:52

28 Dec 2010, 20:38 #6

Rai @ Dec 27 2010, 08:41 PM wrote:
Echo @ Dec 27 2010, 10:29 PM wrote: Race does exist. It is as plausible as birds of the same genus found in different parts of the world exhibiting physical and behavorial differences (Darwinism comes into play here)

What is wrong, however, is embracing racial stereotypes as 100% without taking into account cultural aspects of a person's upbringing.

I think you're misinterpreting the book. Race does exist. It is our way of classifying people from different parts of the world. As far as I'm concerned, there are only three real races in the world: Negroes, Caucasians, and Mongolians. The rest of the world is split into sub-races derived from mixes from these three main races.

Feel free to argue any of my beliefs, I haven't looked into them enough to know if they're actual facts.
Negroes, Caucasians, and Mongolians? Unless I'm mistaken those have no origin in their definition to a specific country, or "place" rather, for people to be directly identified as such. If skin is the way people divide race, then it does not exist and is instead what you may understand as Racist.

Those three terms are just another way to divide human beings into sub groups.
They're regional races, they're not country-specific. Negroes hail mostly from Africa, Mongoloids from Asia, and Caucasians from, presumably, the Caucasus region.

As people moved from region to region, different subraces emerged (native Americans, for example, are said to be of mongoloid decent) through evolution.

Inter-racial relationships also created new races, etc etc.

Skin color is a primary, but not definitive factor of race determination, as Killjoy has explained. You can easily tell a black man from an asian man and determine which race they both belong to, even if it might sometimes be deceptive.

What is race to you, Rai?

It's a lot more complex than we're making it of course.
Reply
Like

Rai
Family
Rai
Family
Joined: 20 Aug 2006, 02:01

29 Dec 2010, 03:48 #7

I understand, and agree with what was said above.

Race to me? I see it as a hindrance. At least from a social stand point. Labels mostly, especially for me. I get called "The black guy" many times in my friend groups in which my ethnic background makes me stand out more. It also gives the notion, what I find pretty fucking odd and annoying at times, that I should do, like, say or act a certain way.

Dont gotta be white to be smart dont gotta be black to be gangsta.
Reply
Like

Killjoy
Family
Joined: 27 Jan 2009, 04:22

29 Dec 2010, 04:48 #8

And yet you're constantly promoting yourself here with more "nigga"s and racial slurs than any other member, almost to the point where 95% of what you say is somehow related to blacks or some stereotype of them.

You wonder why you're called "the black guy"? It's quite obvious, from what I can see. I never call any of my black friends "the black guy". Hell, they'd probably be quite insulted. They don't use the same racist jokes you do, however.
<center>
Echo wrote:Gonna make bipolar bitch a CD and show up at her house without asking her.
</center>
<CENTER>GUN NUTS
Web Comic
Current Issue: #21</CENTER>

Issues: #01 #02 #03 #04 #05 #06 #07 #08 #09 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24
Reply
Like

Rai
Family
Rai
Family
Joined: 20 Aug 2006, 02:01

29 Dec 2010, 05:10 #9

Killjoy @ Dec 29 2010, 04:48 AM wrote: And yet you're constantly promoting yourself here with more "nigga"s and racial slurs than any other member, almost to the point where 95% of what you say is somehow related to blacks or some stereotype of them.

You wonder why you're called "the black guy"? It's quite obvious, from what I can see. I never call any of my black friends "the black guy". Hell, they'd probably be quite insulted. They don't use the same racist jokes you do, however.
When it comes to STF I find no matter how stereotypical I may act those who know me well enough still treat me normally. But your not one of those people. : )
Its all in good humor what I do. Hell in a way I'm showing how idiotic stereotypical "Black" behavior is and how the negatives of said behavior is not to be agreed with.

cracka. : )
Reply
Like

Killjoy
Family
Joined: 27 Jan 2009, 04:22

29 Dec 2010, 06:54 #10

Yeah, and the effect is?

I can't relate to you on any other note than "you're balck" because that's all you've ever told me about. Your fault if I haven't seen any other dimensions.

That, or you just don't care what I think/say, in which case: touche, and stop whining.
<center>
Echo wrote:Gonna make bipolar bitch a CD and show up at her house without asking her.
</center>
<CENTER>GUN NUTS
Web Comic
Current Issue: #21</CENTER>

Issues: #01 #02 #03 #04 #05 #06 #07 #08 #09 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24
Reply
Like

Rai
Family
Rai
Family
Joined: 20 Aug 2006, 02:01

29 Dec 2010, 22:29 #11

Killjoy @ Dec 29 2010, 06:54 AM wrote: Yeah, and the effect is?

I can't relate to you on any other note than "you're balck" because that's all you've ever told me about. Your fault if I haven't seen any other dimensions.

That, or you just don't care what I think/say, in which case: touche, and stop whining.
I never whined about your silly behavior, did I? So stop whining at me.

Back on topic. What are you folks thoughts on the mixing of the gene pool, multi ethnic children mixing with multi ethnic kids? I hear a term for something like that is "mutt". Do you think people should focus on staying with the same ethnic background when it comes to relationships and breeding, or does it not matter to you guys?
Reply
Like

Echo
Family
Joined: 15 Oct 2006, 14:52

29 Dec 2010, 23:35 #12

Call me racist but I wouldn't marry a black person because I want my kids to be white. I don't go as far as White Nationalists do, but I don't believe in mixing races. "Together but not scrambled" is what I believe in. I have no problem with polite people of different races.
Reply
Like

Killjoy
Family
Joined: 27 Jan 2009, 04:22

30 Dec 2010, 01:09 #13

Rai @ Dec 29 2010, 02:29 PM wrote: I never whined about your silly behavior, did I? So stop whining at me.
Then I will persist to mock portrayed simplicity as usual.
Back on topic. What are you folks thoughts on the mixing of the gene pool, multi ethnic children mixing with multi ethnic kids? I hear a term for something like that is "mutt". Do you think people should focus on staying with the same ethnic background when it comes to relationships and breeding, or does it not matter to you guys?
Doesn't matter to me. Let people date, fuck, and reproduce with whoever they want.
<center>
Echo wrote:Gonna make bipolar bitch a CD and show up at her house without asking her.
</center>
<CENTER>GUN NUTS
Web Comic
Current Issue: #21</CENTER>

Issues: #01 #02 #03 #04 #05 #06 #07 #08 #09 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24
Reply
Like

Rai
Family
Rai
Family
Joined: 20 Aug 2006, 02:01

30 Dec 2010, 01:23 #14

Echo @ Dec 29 2010, 11:35 PM wrote: Call me racist but I wouldn't marry a black person because I want my kids to be white. I don't go as far as White Nationalists do, but I don't believe in mixing races. "Together but not scrambled" is what I believe in. I have no problem with polite people of different races.
I understand. To be honest I find MOST people to have this same view. Tough luck for me as I'm interested in any girl that comes my way if shes my type. Another reason I see race as a hindrance really, what if I liked a girl that didn't like me because she didn't want to mix? Would suck but then again I wouldn't want someone like that anyways. =P
Reply
Like

Echo
Family
Joined: 15 Oct 2006, 14:52

30 Dec 2010, 01:27 #15

Just find a hot black bitch with a nice booty.

Or a white girl who's into teh black dickins. I've met quite a few of those in Texas.
Reply
Like

Rai
Family
Rai
Family
Joined: 20 Aug 2006, 02:01

30 Dec 2010, 01:48 #16

Echo @ Dec 30 2010, 01:27 AM wrote: Just find a hot black bitch with a nice booty.

Or a white girl who's into teh black dickins. I've met quite a few of those in Texas.
Haha nice. Introduce me bro? ;P
Reply
Like

Fayte
Family
Joined: 20 Aug 2006, 15:24

30 Dec 2010, 15:53 #17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APyr48GACzc

This is about all I got for this at cuz I'm too tired to think sensibly.
<center>
</center>
Reply
Like