2012: The Facts

If you have writer's blood and the pen (or the keyboard, lolz) is your best friend, come here to share your stories.

2012: The Facts

Pyro
Family
Pyro
Family
Joined: 29 Aug 2006, 22:47

13 Jul 2009, 06:35 #1

As most, if not all, of you know, the latest doomsday prophecy is coming upon us. Yes, there are those who believe that on December 21st, 2012, it will be the end of days. Now I've heard a lot of people talking about this, and I've noticed that a lot of people seem to have no idea what they are talking about, no thanks to the blunders of the History Channel (I'll explain later). So I've decided to break down the various prophecies and show what the actual facts are behind them versus what most people think they know. My goal isn't to disprove each and every one, simply to show what the real truth is about them.

To start off, I will begin with the most obvious one: The Mayans and the Mayan Calendar.

The Mayans

There were three main calendars that the Mayans used towards the end of their civilization. The one that concerns 2012 is the Long Count calendar. The calendar works in cycles, or baktun. The calendar works by counting the number of days since the beginning of a mythological starting day. This starting day has been calculated to be August 13th, 3114 BCE. This was the end of the previous world, and the beginning of the one we live in.

So what gives this calendar any credibility? What has it predicted in the past that leads us to believe that December 21st, 2012, the end of the thirteenth baktun and the end of the calendar, is the end of days?

Well, for one the Mayans should be given credit: they came up with a calendar so accurate that it was discovered by modern scientists that when the Mayan astronomers calculated that a year contained 365.2420 days, they were in fact only .0002 of a day too short. Also, when they calculated the full lunar cycle of when the moon would rise and set and when it would be a full moon, they were in fact only off by 33 seconds.

So there's a couple of examples of how accurate they were in astronomy, what about the predictions that their calendars supposedly gave them? Well as different cycles came to end and new cycles started within the over 5000 year Long Calendar, different predictions were associated with those cycles. With a bit of research many sites can be found claiming that the Mayans predicted the end of their own civilization as well as other events such as the world wars and 9/11. However, I could not find any sites with a high amount of credibility and information to back these claims up. The only thing I could find that they accurately predicted were the previously mentioned solar events as well successfully acting AS A CALENDAR.

In fact, there is really only one major thing that supports anything happening on December 21st and that is that it is also the day of the Winter Equinox, when the sun is furthest away from the Earth, as well as an incredibly rare event that we will get to witness: the sun will move to a unique spot in the sky so that it will sit precisely on the heavenly crossroads between the Milky Way and the galactic equinox, forming a perfect alignment with the center of the galaxy. If you are that worried about the Winter Equinox, then move to Australia come late summer, it already happened in June there. Besides, the Mayans celebrated living to the end of a cycle, and the calendar would reset, simple as that. The Mayans concept of time was circular, with every end there is a beginning, so 2012 shouldn't be an exception. It is not the end of all ends.

Also, the end of days could actually be December 23rd, depending on the formula you use, thus throwing the previous paragraph and most scientific fact that correlates with it out the window.

So what are the real Mayan experts saying? There's actually only one known piece of Mayan writing that has to do with 2012, and it as follows:

The Thirteenth 'Bak'tun" will be finished
(on) Four Ajaw, the Third of Uniiw (K'ank'in).
(Something) will occur.
(It will be) the descent (?) of the Nine Support(?) God(s) to the (something).

As you can see the text was damaged and I could just as easily say that on that day the CIA will confess to keeping Elvis, Hoffa, and Michael Jackson from the world for their own devious plots that apparently needed the help of two of the most influential singers and a famous mobster.

Admittedly you have to give the Mayans credit on another point: they were very creative as well. The Mayans divided their Long Count into five lumps of time, called Great Cycles. And every cycle had a well defined end. For example, after period number one, a Jaguar came by and ate everyone on Earth. Must've skipped the chapter where that happened in history class.

The second cycle ended in air, the third in fire, the fourth in flood. And what about the last period, the stretch of time we're in? The Earth will be destroyed by earthquakes, is the interpretation some scholars give to the etchy-sketchy remains of the Mayan culture. So that's what the experts are really saying, and considering the fact that I don't remember hearing anything about the world ending in various ways over the past few thousand years, I somehow doubt that the earthquakes will come true either.

In the next segment I will present the facts behind the claims that Nostradamus also predicted the end to be coming in 2012.
<center>
Rabid Panda wrote:I've never played brain academy.  I'm smartiful enough already.
</center><center>
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 07:54 AM wrote:
Killjoy @ Feb 4 2011, 11:40 AM wrote:
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 02:50 AM wrote: Should we be Matrix dodging sarcasm bullets right about now?
Your figurative language maneuvers will not save you.
Probably not, but they will look fucking cool.
</center>
Like

Sage
Family
Sage
Family
Joined: 21 Nov 2006, 19:22

13 Jul 2009, 06:55 #2

About time I see someone debunk this 2012 Armageddon inducing, end of the world mumbo jumbo with actual facts. I'm sick of hearing people fret over it just because the Mayan calendar stops on a certain date.

I could have sworn that Nostrodamus said the world was supposed to end in 1999 at one point.

Also, this looks like it'll be an interesting read, so I'm keeping my eye on it.
Like

Karnak
Family
Joined: 19 Aug 2006, 19:29

13 Jul 2009, 18:24 #3

Anything that relates to the end of the world always perks my interest. Looking forward to the next segment Py.
Dismemberment is the act of cutting, tearing, pulling, wrenching or otherwise removing, the limbs of a living thing
Yummie! ^^
3/2/2008  3:11:56 PM  Dragil:  Hey if its possible, can you send me some snow?
3/2/2008  3:12:19 PM  Sonicist: There is no snow here, and... like, no. How the fuck would I send snow on an airplane?
3/2/2008  3:12:54 PM  Dragil :  In a cooler with dry ice or something?
3/2/2008  3:13:44 PM  Sonicist:  'cuz sending a fucking fridge and buying some dry ice is like, so totaly less hasle than sending candy
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
<center>
Like

Rai
Family
Rai
Family
Joined: 20 Aug 2006, 02:01

13 Jul 2009, 18:27 #4

Jesus will come back.
Like

DarkOverord
Family
Joined: 01 Jan 2007, 14:50

13 Jul 2009, 18:49 #5

Will you at any point make a reference to scientific data? :3
Like

Pyro
Family
Pyro
Family
Joined: 29 Aug 2006, 22:47

13 Jul 2009, 19:26 #6

DarkOverord @ Jul 13 2009, 11:49 AM wrote: Will you at any point make a reference to scientific data? :3
Lol yes I will, that will be the last one. I want to focus first on getting rid of all the illusions people have about all these supposed prophecies.
<center>
Rabid Panda wrote:I've never played brain academy.  I'm smartiful enough already.
</center><center>
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 07:54 AM wrote:
Killjoy @ Feb 4 2011, 11:40 AM wrote:
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 02:50 AM wrote: Should we be Matrix dodging sarcasm bullets right about now?
Your figurative language maneuvers will not save you.
Probably not, but they will look fucking cool.
</center>
Like

DarkOverord
Family
Joined: 01 Jan 2007, 14:50

13 Jul 2009, 19:31 #7

Pyro @ Jul 13 2009, 08:26 PM wrote:
DarkOverord @ Jul 13 2009, 11:49 AM wrote: Will you at any point make a reference to scientific data? :3
Lol yes I will, that will be the last one. I want to focus first on getting rid of all the illusions people have about all these supposed prophecies.
Good :3
Like

Pyro
Family
Pyro
Family
Joined: 29 Aug 2006, 22:47

16 Jul 2009, 22:21 #8

Nostradamus

Nostradamus, a figure who is looked at as one of the few true seers of the future, but how much of it is true?

The first thing I want to get out of the way is something I mentioned in the introduction of this write-up: The History Channel. Many of you who get this channel on your TV may remember a program called "The Lost Book of Nostradamus". This "Lost Book of Nostradamus" or "Vaticinia Nostradami" has one large problem: The History Channel assumed that it actually has a real connection to Nostradamus.

Discovered in 1982 in Rome, the Vaticinia Nostradami is a collection of about eighty watercolor images filled with symbolic imagery such as animals, letters, objects, crosses, etc. One such symbol is of the Divine Cross, which is made up of our celestial equator and our galactic center. Another is the Terrestrial Cross, which are the angles that make up our equinox and solstice. Actually, these two crosses don't really appear in the book, they're just assumed. One of the most repeated images in the book is of an eight-spoked wheel, which, despite almost no evidence to support it, is said to be an image symbolizing the intersection of these two celestial crosses. In astronomy, these two crosses only intersect in such a way ever 12,000 years or so. Three guesses when the next one is supposed to be. If you guessed 2012, then you've just discovered what is probably the ONLY time 2012 is ever mentioned in connection with Nostradamus.

As for how the book itself supposedly connects to Nostradamus, a covering note was found saying that the images were made by Nostradamus and was sent to Rome by his son as a gift. Just one problem: there is absolutely no other evidence to suggest that Nostradamus was in any way, shape, or form, the creator of those images. In fact the "Lost Book of Nostradamus" dates back to centuries before he was ever born. And that covering note? The only piece of paper that mentions Nostradamus in connection with the book? The earliest it's been dated is 1689, while Nostradamus died in 1566. This is ignoring the obvious fact that the book has three different handwriting styles in them, none of them matching to the famed seer. The most credible connection to this book has been made to the Vaticinia de Summis Pontificibus from the 13th to 14th centuries. This is because most of the images found in the Vaticinia Nostradami can also be found in that collection.

One other odd little book is Nostradamus' Armageddon for Dummies that is obviously a much more recent publish. In this book it places emphases on an image of three solar eclipses and one lunar eclipse, and apparently the world would die between 1992 and 2012. Experts claim that according to the imagery the world will end in a giant flood since there is apparently an image of a giant raft, although to me it looks more like a giant pair of the bottom half of a two-piece bikini. First of all, do you have any idea just how many solar and lunar eclipses have and will occur during that time? 96. 96 solar and lunar eclipses. That is 47 solar and 49 lunar eclipses. Am I off by a couple? Perhaps, I just counted from a list. However, the point is that there are far more than just the implied four eclipses that will precede the end of days. There actually was one point in 2007-2008 where there were three solar eclipses followed by one lunar, but I'm pretty sure we're still around. OH WHAT NOW CREEPY COLORING BOOK OF DARKNESS?!?

Now we get to what is probably the only connection that Nostradamus has to the end of the world: his quatrains. So what exactly do they say? And have they actually predicted anything? Well it depends on your point of view. Here are a few of the quatrains followed by what most agree they mean and how they came true:

1.
Le Lyon ieune, le vieux surmontera,
En champ bellique par singuliere duelle,
Dans cage d'or les yeux luy creuera,
Deux classes vne, pour mourir mort cruelle.

(One version replaces the S's with an &#1107;, although I don't know French so I can't speak to the significance.)

The young lion will overcome the older one,
On the field of combat in a single battle;
He will pierce his eyes through a golden cage,
Two wounds made one, then he dies a cruel death. (Pretty sure the original said Two knells from one).
(Century 1, Quatrain 35)

This is probably one of the most famous quatrains because chronologically it was one of the first and most public to come true. Most will agree that this depicts the death of King Henry II of France as a result of a jousting accident.

Apparently Nostradamus knew what would happen that day and did his absolute best to keep King Henry II from going to that jousting match, but his words went ignored and Henry II went into the jousting match against Comte de Montgomery. This matches the first two lines because they both bore lions on their shields, and Montgomery was six years younger than Henry II. During the final match Montogomery failed to lower his lance completely in time and the lance broke over Henry's face, sending one particularly large splinter through the "golden cage" that was his helmet, through his visor and into his eye. Following the fourth line, King Henry II died because of two fatal wounds, one was said eye injury, and the other was when the splinter pierced his temple just behind the eye. Henry lived for ten days with this injuries, dying a truly agonizing and slow death.

2.
Le sang du iuste à Londres fera faute,
Bruslez par foudres de vingt trois les six,
La dame antique cherra de place haute,
De mesme secte plusieurs seront occis

The blood of the just will be demanded of London,
Burnt by the fire in the year 66
The ancient Lady will fall from her high place
And many of the same sect will be killed
(Century 2, Quatrain 51)

One of the few quatrains where a date is given, this is said to depict the Great Fire of London in 1666 (please no "OMG ITS TEH DEVIL DOOOOOM!!" comments"). This is also one of the quatrains where even most of the skeptics have to wonder because of its accuracy. The ancient Lady is said to be the statue of the virgin of St. Paul's Cathedral. However, let's look at a more literal translation of the first two lines:

The blood of the just will commit a fault at London,
Burnt through lightning of twenty threes the six:

Much more cryptic and makes way less sense, much like in the previous one "Two knells" was changed to "two wounds" just to make all the pieces fit nicely together. Now I know full well that in Spanish some things just don't translate and therefore do end up coming out making no sense when translated literally, so if someone who is confident in their French can look at this and see if this is one of those cases I'd be glad to hear what you have to say.

3.
De gens esclaue, chansons, chants & requestes
Captifs par Princes & Seigneur aux prisons.
A l'aduenir par idiots sans testes,
Seront receus par diuins oraisons.

Songs, chants, and refrains of the slavish mob,
Whilst the Princes and King are captive in prison,
Shall be received in the future as oracles divine
By headless idiots deprived of judgment.
(Century 1, Quatrain 14)

This along with the quatrain peak interest:

The husband, alone afflicted, will be mitered;
Conflict will take place at the tile works by 500.
One betrayer will be titled.

This is interesting because in 1791 a gang of angry Frenchmen calling themselves the Marsi'es, meaning 500, attacked King Louis' palace. One could also conclude that the "headless idiots" bit could also pertain to the fact that many lost their heads, both figuratively and literally, and the crowd had probably long since stopped caring about morality when it came to ending the tyranny. I'll look at one more, then move on, because apparently there's many quatrains that relate to the French Revolution, and I am not going to go through all of them.

De nuict viendra par la forest de Reines,
Deux pars voltorte Herne la pierre blanche,
Le moine noir en gris dedans Varennes

By night he will come to the forest of Reines,
A devious rout, the white Queen of stone
And the gray King, to Varennes.
(Century 9, Quatrain 20)

There are scholars who suggest that this refers to King Louis and Queen Marie Antoinette as they tried to flee. Traveling through the Forest of Reines, the King was dressed in grey to disguise himself as a monk. Their plan was to escape to Varennes by carriage.

4.
Vn Empereur naistra pres d'Italie,
Qui &#1072; l'Empire sera vendu bien cher,
Diront auec quels gens il se ralie
Qu'on trouuera moins Prince que boucher.

An Emperor shall be born near Italy.
Who shall cost the Empire dear,
They shall say, with what people he keeps company
He shall be found less a Prince than a butcher.
(Century 1, Quatrain 60)

Napoleon not only cost his Empire dearly in both political strength and manpower, but he was also considered a butcher by enemies and supporters alike.

Le Captif prince aux Itales vaincu
Passera Gennes par mer iusqu'à Marseille,
Par grand effort des forens suruaincu
Sauf coup de feu, barril liqueur d'abeille.

The captive prince, conquered, is sent to Elba;
He will sail across the Gulf of Genoa to Marseilles.
By a great effort of the foreign forces he is overcome,
Though he escaped the fire, his bees yield blood by the barrel.
(Century 10, Quatrain 24)

Napoleon was indeed exiled to Elba, only to escape later and then be defeated again at Waterloo. However, the problem we find with this one is that "aux Itales" simply translates to "in Italy", not "to Elba". Of course, if you're a bit more imaginative you could say that "Itales" derives from "Aethalia", which is the classical name for Elba.

Once again there's a half dozen quatrains about Napoleon so, MOVING ON.

5.
Bestes farouches de faim fleuues tranner,
Plus part du camp encontre Hister sera,
En cage de fer le grand fera trainner,
Qunad Rin enfant Germain obseruera.

Beasts ferocious from hunger will swim across rivers:
The greater part of the region will be against the Hister (Lower Danube),
The great one will cause it to be dragged in an iron cage,
When the German child will observe nothing.
(Century 2, Quatrain 24)

First of all, "Hister" refers to the Lower Danube, as the second translation suggests. The only real way Hister could be Hitler is if you assume Nostradamus made a typo that just so happened to also be the name of a very well-known region at the time. Granted it is near his childhood home.

Du plus profond de l'Occident d'Europe,
De pauures gens vn ieune enfant naistra :
Qui par sa langue seduira grande trouppe,
Son bruit au regne d'Orient plus croistra,

Out of the deepest part of the west of Europe,
From poor people a young child shall be born,
Who with his tongue shall seduce many people,
His fame shall increase in the Eastern Kingdom.
(Century 3, Quatrain 35)

Hitler was born of poor parents, as was pretty much everyone after the craptastic way the end of World War I was handled, and he was even able to impress the Eastern Empire of Japan with his words.

Again with the litter of Hitler quatrains, so onward!

Nostradamus also supposedly predicted things such as the American Revolution, the Civil War, the Cold War, the assassination of JFK, the death of JFK Jr in 1999, 9/11, the Challenger space shuttle disaster, the rise of Francisco Franco, and quatrains related to them can be found with a simple Google search.

According to experts, Nostradamus' quatrains were obscured purposefully because he didn't want to become a victim of the Inquisition. This is the same reason he gives for not putting them in order. Adding to the chaos, he combined three languages: French, Latin, and even Greek, to form these often confusing quatrains that didn't even often make grammatical sense, even resorting to anagrams for further obscurity.

So, back to the end of the world. NOSTRADAMUS NEVER MENTIONED 2012. EVER. In fact, he said that we would survive pretty everything that will happen, and, if we really put forth the effort, we can change the future to make sure that we do.

He did mention that some big war would happen within the last five years of the 20th century, preceded by a bunch of natural disasters, and that the war would last almost 30 years. After which there will be a golden age of 1000 years of peace. I'm a little fuzzy on how that fits into the real world, but there you have it: Nostradamus said we'd live past 2012. Actually he said that the end of the world would be either 3786 or 3797, depending on which expert you believe, but that's for another time.

For a look at how the many astrological symbols depicted in many of Nostradamus' quatrains may give clues to the dates of the predictions, check out this website:
http://www.nostradamusresearch.org/en/home/00.htm

Or more specifically:
http://www.nostradamusresearch.org/en/quatr/00.htm
<center>
Rabid Panda wrote:I've never played brain academy.  I'm smartiful enough already.
</center><center>
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 07:54 AM wrote:
Killjoy @ Feb 4 2011, 11:40 AM wrote:
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 02:50 AM wrote: Should we be Matrix dodging sarcasm bullets right about now?
Your figurative language maneuvers will not save you.
Probably not, but they will look fucking cool.
</center>
Like

Pyro
Family
Pyro
Family
Joined: 29 Aug 2006, 22:47

18 Jul 2009, 03:43 #9

I-Ching

The I-Ching, an ancient Chinese version of Tarah Cards in that you use an object like cards or coins to try and decipher your future. In this case you would ask the I-Ching a question, and a "certified" psychic flipped three coins, and then draw a hexagram based on how the coins fell. Now the I-Ching was actually the book that held the secrets to what all the different combinations of hexagrams said about the future. In this case I'd like to provide an image of just what these hexagrams looked like:

http://tecnologiasliterarias.files.wordpre...arrangement.jpg

Each symbol had its own unique meaning of the future.

Now the I-Ching actually had nothing to do with 2012 until a man came along named Terence McKenna who decided to make a pattern out of every possible result. For whatever reason he was then inspired to make a line graph out of it and compare it to a timeline of world history. Apparently high and low points on the graph correlated with significant events on the timeline. This graph even goes into the future, and at one point dips off into the negatives beyond the graph. Guess which date that is? If you said November 2012, then you'd be correct according to McKenna's original data, but of course, after he heard about the Mayans, he decided to give the pattern another look and lo and behold he came up with the more specific date of December 21st, 2012.

I've read a few pages claiming that this thing predicted things like the fall of the Roman Empire and the World Wars. Just one problem, THIS WAS MADE IN THE 1970'S! THUS IT IS NOT PREDICTION, IT IS POST-DICTION NUMBNUTS.

Talking about the "work" of Terence McKenna flows straight into the next thing involving 2012, which is:

Novelty Theory / Time Wave Zero

To be honest I don't know where to begin with this. I almost don't want to mention it because of how ridiculous it is. For one thing, McKenna claims that it's a reasonable blend of numerology and mathematics. Numerology? Seriously? You mean that crap about how stuff like the number of letters in your name could've predicted your personality or how your future would turn out? That numerology? Really? Honestly I don't even know wtf this guy is going on about in his Novelty Theory, but what I do know is that it's never been published so that mathematical peers could look it over, and pretty much every single reasonable scientist and mathematician laughed at him, so of course McKenna rebuttals by blaming the system and saying everyone is wrong, only he can see the light, yadda yadda yadda. Besides, it's a pattern that he made up, but on a questionable timeline. I'm sure he could apply the same thing to NASDAQ or the Dow Jones and get "astonishing accuracy" too.

He couldn't even decide what would happen in 2012. He claimed everything from devastating earthquakes to an alien invasion to the discovery of time travel, and after he was called on that little factoid? He claimed that it was possible for all of them to occur at the same time. Ok, if you want to get technical, you can't deny that possibility of them all happening within the same decade, or who knows maybe the same year, or something because we have no way of knowing. However, do you see how that was far more likely to be the product of an "OSHI-" moment?
<center>
Rabid Panda wrote:I've never played brain academy.  I'm smartiful enough already.
</center><center>
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 07:54 AM wrote:
Killjoy @ Feb 4 2011, 11:40 AM wrote:
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 02:50 AM wrote: Should we be Matrix dodging sarcasm bullets right about now?
Your figurative language maneuvers will not save you.
Probably not, but they will look fucking cool.
</center>
Like

Pyro
Family
Pyro
Family
Joined: 29 Aug 2006, 22:47

29 Jul 2009, 04:01 #10

Whoops, forgot to post this. Anyway, next chapter:

The Hopi Indians and the Hopi Prophecy

The Hopi are one of the oldest Native American tribes, located in modern day Arizona. Much of their mythology revolves around the concept of a cyclical world and the repeated birth and destruction of the world. When the world is first born, it is a pure and innocent world. As the world ages it becomes sinful and corrupt, leading to the destruction of the world and then it all starts over.

According to their mythology, we are living in the fourth world of this cycle. Unfortunately, thanks to the evil white man (no joke, read what they say), we are nearing the end of this world. So, of course, this must be 2012. After all, everyone else is doing it.

There are nine signs that apparently lead to the end of the world. First I'm going to show what they are, but before you go on and read what most people believe they mean, take a minute to see if you can make anything out of them yourself.

"This is the First Sign: We are told of the coming of the white-skinned men, like Pahana, but not living like Pahana men who took the land that was not theirs. And men who struck their enemies with thunder.

"This is the Second Sign: Our lands will see the coming of spinning wheels filled with voices."

"This is the Third Sign: A strange beast like a buffalo but with great long horns, will overrun the land in large numbers."

"This is the Fourth Sign: The land will be crossed by snakes of iron."

"This is the Fifth Sign: The land shall be criss-crossed by a giant spider's web."

"This is the Sixth sign: The land shall be criss-crossed with rivers of stone that make pictures in the sun."

"This is the Seventh Sign: You will hear of the sea turning black, and many living things dying because of it."

"This is the Eight Sign: You will see many youth, who wear their hair long like my people, come and join the tribal nations, to learn their ways and wisdom.

"And this is the Ninth and Last Sign: You will hear of a dwelling-place in the heavens, above the earth, that shall fall with a great crash. It will appear as a blue star. Very soon after this, the ceremonies of my people will cease.





What do you think? Well, here's what most people think they mean:

The First Sign: Not too hard, the coming of the white men and their guns.

The Second Sign: Most people agree with what the Hopi who wrote this says: "In his youth, my father saw this prophecy come true with his eyes -- the white men bringing their families in wagons across the prairies."

The Third Sign: Again agreeing with the Hopi: "These White Feather saw with his eyes -- the coming of the white men's cattle."

The Fourth Sign: Supposedly predicting railroad tracks.

The Fifth Sign: Some say telephone wires, others say the internet (World Wide WEB I guess).

The Sixth Sign: Roadways for cars, maybe more specifically freeways.

The Seventh Sign: Oil spills.

The Eight Sign: Hippies (No really, that's what people believe it predicts)

The Ninth Sign: Some say the U.S. Space Station Skylab, which fell to Earth in 1979. However, the Mir space station falling in 2001 fits better because it was the first long-term research station in space and there are pictures of it falling looking like blue comets.

Reading the full prophecy, it seems more like a revenge story against the white man for taking their land, which granted I can't really blame them for. Right off the bat it talks about how the United States will be destroyed and the Hopi will be preserved in some kind of oasis. Admittedly, it is a bit impressive that they can predict things like "snakes of iron" going across the land. OWAIT, THE HOPI PROPHECY WASN'T PUBLISHED UNTIL 1959. POST-DICTION FAIL.
<center>
Rabid Panda wrote:I've never played brain academy.  I'm smartiful enough already.
</center><center>
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 07:54 AM wrote:
Killjoy @ Feb 4 2011, 11:40 AM wrote:
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 02:50 AM wrote: Should we be Matrix dodging sarcasm bullets right about now?
Your figurative language maneuvers will not save you.
Probably not, but they will look fucking cool.
</center>
Like

Sage
Family
Sage
Family
Joined: 21 Nov 2006, 19:22

29 Jul 2009, 04:45 #11

There was a person who actually tried using numerology to predict the end of the world? That's ridiculous.

The Hopi Prophecy would have been more interesting if it wasn't for the publish date.
Like

Toxicity
Family
Joined: 10 Mar 2009, 19:08

29 Jul 2009, 13:37 #12

Wow, nice to learn about what the other prophecies said apart from all that Mayan stuff. Look forward to learning more. And lol at nemerology.
Like

Pyro
Family
Pyro
Family
Joined: 29 Aug 2006, 22:47

01 Aug 2009, 21:10 #13

History Channel Wrap-Up

Most of the rest of the prophetic people that the History Channel mentions in their 2012 hype-up don't have quite as much that I find worth writing about, so here are most of the others that the History Channel is using as Armageddon cannon-fodder. By the way I forgot to mention that they had a hay-day with the I-Ching too.

Mother Shipton

Mother Shipton, born Ursula Sontheil, was born in North Yorkshire, England in 1488. Her mother discovered that Ursula's father was, in fact, Satan (she was unaware of who the father of her child was beforehand?), so her mother abandoned Ursula via adoption (or throwing her out of a speeding carriage, whichever terminology you prefer) and her mother fled to a nunnery.

Thanks to her biblical heritage, Ursula was granted the power to see the future, although it wasn't until 1641, long after she died, that her predictions were published and made widely known. She did have a lot of doom prophecies, from what I can tell they mostly involved dragons and their tails. Yes, there's quite the fascination with dragon tails. Anyway, there's one particular prophecy that, with a little decryption, basically says when film and TV exist, and when men travel in planes and subs, half the world will die drowning in blood. Funny, no mention of 2012. Once again we run into the "everybody else is doing it situation" where people just stick that year in there because the thought of imminent death apparently gives them warm fuzzies and they want to pretend that seers across the world agree *COUGH HISTORY CHANNEL COUGH*.

Now here we run into another problem, the man who published most of her prophecies and also wrote her biography, Richard Head, later admitted that he made up almost every detail about her and in fact wrote the prophecies himself after the events already happened. Later prophecies were still "discovered" as the centuries passed. Once again, POST-DICTION FAIL. Are you seeing a pattern here?

Merlin, the Book of Revelations, the Masons, etc.

The Merlin you know is different from the historical Merlin. During the Middle Ages he was considered one of Europe's greatest oracles, with his prophecies ranging from terrorist attacks to global warming (not that I could find any of them). His legend started in ancient England. Merlin's prophecies were first published in the 12th century, but date back to as far as the 5th century. It's also possible that multiple people had this title, much like the Dread Pirate Roberts. Checking multiple website that claim to have a complete list of Merlin's prophecies, I can find no reference to the year 2012. Plenty about the end of the world of course, but with no real time stamp on it.

I'm not going to waste my time on the Book of Revelations. I've read the Bible cover to cover and THERE'S NO 2012 REFERENCE.

Oh you thought I was kidding about the Masons, but the History Channel really does list them as another reference to 2012. Not only that, but the ancient Egyptians are also on that same list. So what is the all-important link? They both talk about the gigantor galactic alignment thing that you may remember from way back in the Mayan chapter. I'm unfamiliar with what the Masons say about it past that, and frankly I'm tired of Masonic conspiracy theories. As for the Egyptians, there can be doubt that Astronomy played a very important role in their lives. With enough Googling one can find a couple of scientists who have deciphered all the astronomical gibberish into the date that Osiris will be resurrected from the dead at the Great Pyramid in Giza. Three guesses what that date is.

There we have it, pretty sure that finishes off all the History Channel hype. Next will be the much more recent Web-Bot.
<center>
Rabid Panda wrote:I've never played brain academy.  I'm smartiful enough already.
</center><center>
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 07:54 AM wrote:
Killjoy @ Feb 4 2011, 11:40 AM wrote:
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 02:50 AM wrote: Should we be Matrix dodging sarcasm bullets right about now?
Your figurative language maneuvers will not save you.
Probably not, but they will look fucking cool.
</center>
Like

Pyro
Family
Pyro
Family
Joined: 29 Aug 2006, 22:47

11 Aug 2009, 22:23 #14

Web-Bot

Before starting this I was reminded that the Web-Bot too made an appearance on the History Channel, so it appears that we aren't quite done with that subject.

Made in the late 90's, a software was created which was designed to try and predict changes within the stock market. Web-Bot was designed to do this by attempting to tap into the subconscious of the human race through the internet. Basically it's a bunch of spider-bots that act like a search engine targeting places like discussion boards where a lot of regular people post.

In 2001, the operators of the program began to notice that it was predicting other things besides the stock market. It was later said that in June 2001, this Web-Bot predicted a horrific event would occur within the next 60-90 days. This prediction sadly came true on September 11th, if it indeed was a prediction. Other predictions include, Space Shuttle Columbia, New York Blackout in 2003, a gun shot wound relating to Dick Cheney, Katrina in 2005, and the latest major collapse of the US dollar.

Some of this may seem shocking, except for the fact that this machine isn't infallible. For one thing, it predicted a major UFO event possibly over some major US cities which would possibly lead to some government disclosure occurring in 2003. I don't remember any sort of huge UFO event happening, so the rest of that is toast. Also, the Web-Bot's predictions are limited to what is being discussed on the internet. People were talking about a possible terrorist attack in the US months before 9/11, people knew that Hurricane Katrina was coming quite a while before it actually hit, etc. So why does it predict a major world-wide cataclysm in 2012? Because the internet is absolutely abuzz about it that's why! So basically this robot makes our nightmares come true in that we have built a software which believes that everything that sets the internet on fire is true.
<center>
Rabid Panda wrote:I've never played brain academy.  I'm smartiful enough already.
</center><center>
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 07:54 AM wrote:
Killjoy @ Feb 4 2011, 11:40 AM wrote:
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 02:50 AM wrote: Should we be Matrix dodging sarcasm bullets right about now?
Your figurative language maneuvers will not save you.
Probably not, but they will look fucking cool.
</center>
Like

Pyro
Family
Pyro
Family
Joined: 29 Aug 2006, 22:47

25 Aug 2009, 00:35 #15

See, this is why I wasn't motivated to write much anymore.

Anyway, here's the second-to-last chapter!

Planet X / Nibiru Collision

Here we go, the second to last chapter in this series, and it's a doozy. There are those who believe that some sort of large planetary object will collide with Earth and thus kill us all, despite astronomers across the world showing that if something like that was anywhere near us, we would know, and there isn't. This object has been referred to as Planet X, Nibiru, and even Wormwood.

This got its start in 1995 with a woman named Nancy Lieder, founder of the website ZetaTalk, who claims that she is receiving messages from aliens called Zetas via a microchip in her brain. When she was a child the aliens would abduct her and examine her, and when she was in her twenties she received the chip. As the official emissary (no really, that's the term she uses) of the Zetas, she updates her website whilst channeling the voice of the Zetas, aka writing in the first person plural. So basically she speaks like Gollum / Smeagol from Lord of the Rings.

To give you an idea of the credibility of Nancy Lieder, in 1997 she first hit the public eye as Comet Hale-Bopp was making its way toward us, she updated her website with this message from the Zetas:

"The Hale-Bopp comet does not exist. It is a fraud, perpetrated by those who would have the teeming masses quiescent until it is too late. Hale-Bopp is nothing more than a distant star, and will draw no closer."

What the "teaming masses" were apparently supposed to be paying attention to was the arrival of Planet X which would kill us all.

Obviously that went well. Lieder later tried to claim that she was still kinda right because the comet wasn't as bright as predicted. Course, she still deleted the message off her website. Gotta love the Google archives though.

Nancy Lieder says that Planet X is four times the size of the Earth, and the prediction says that when Planet X makes its closest pass by Earth, it would cause the Earth to stop rotating for a few days, which would in turn cause a pole shift. A pole shift is where the location of the North and South Poles moves a bit, not a geomagnetic reversal. The pole shift would cause a magnetic attraction between the core of the Earth and that of Planet X, thus the magnetism of the Earth's core would be disrupted and the crust of the Earth would be almost completely displaced. Guess when this is all supposed to happen? In May of 2003. Oops.

After May came and went, Lieder stated that that date was all part of a big "white lie to fool the establishment" (oh yes, a quote) because if a date were given then it would give governments time to declare martial law and trap people in cities where they would all surely die. She even points to a number of power outages that occurred that year as proof that, in fact, something big did pass by. Sure. Why not? Not like power outages never happen. Apparently we'll be given a somewhat specific timeline by mid-2010 anyway though for whatever reason. For now, everyone's just screaming 2012. Again, why not? Everything and everyone are going to spontaneously explode then anyway apparently.

However believers such as Mark Hazlewood believe in the New Age theory of 2012, in that during that year most of us will somehow ascend to a higher level of consciousness anyway. So most of us will be living in the fifth dimension and thus survive Nibiru anyway, and no, I will not be writing a chapter on the New Age theory, because that about sums it up: we will ascend to a higher level of consciousness. Sure I could talk about Indigo Children and whatnot, but honestly I don't see it as worth it.
<center>
Rabid Panda wrote:I've never played brain academy.  I'm smartiful enough already.
</center><center>
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 07:54 AM wrote:
Killjoy @ Feb 4 2011, 11:40 AM wrote:
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 02:50 AM wrote: Should we be Matrix dodging sarcasm bullets right about now?
Your figurative language maneuvers will not save you.
Probably not, but they will look fucking cool.
</center>
Like

Noob
Family
Noob
Family
Joined: 15 Apr 2009, 00:15

25 Aug 2009, 01:23 #16

Wow. This is pretty much the only place where some one explains all this 2012 world-end garbage ( It's all false anyhow).
Like

DarkOverord
Family
Joined: 01 Jan 2007, 14:50

25 Aug 2009, 09:07 #17

Plus indigo children suck.

Didn't realise there was someone as crazy as her abou- Scientologists. Oh yeah...
Like

Pyro
Family
Pyro
Family
Joined: 29 Aug 2006, 22:47

07 Sep 2009, 00:38 #18

The Science Behind 2012

Here it is, we've finally made it to the final chapter: the scientific fact. Behind all of the myth, this is the chapter that discusses what the scientific community has to say about 2012.

Every eleven years, the sun goes through a completely natural cycle called the solar magnetic activity cycle. This cycle can modulate many things within the sun such as the frequency of solar flares and appearances of sun spots, and it can also dramatically change the amount of radiation that the sun emits. During that eleven year cycle, there is a "solar maximum", where the solar activity is at its peak during the cycle. The next peak will be in 2012, and there are many scientists who believe that it will be a much more extreme peak than the one in 2002-2003.

An extreme event such as this has happened before. In 1859, one of England's foremost solar astronomers, Richard Carrington, witnessed an unprecedented event on the sun that he described as "two patches of intensely bright and white light" emanating from a large group of sunspots. As Carrington himself wrote: "I hastily ran to call someone to witness the exhibition with me. On returning within 60 seconds, I was mortified to find that it was already much changed and enfeebled". The event was over within five minutes.

However, the effects were just about to be seen. Right before dawn the next day, all over the planet Earth bright auroras were seen all over the skies to the point where newspapers could be read as if the sun were already up. These were even witnessed in places such as Central America and Hawaii. In concurrance with this, telegraph systems all over the world began malfunctioning. Some discharged sparks so violently that they hurt the operators and set fire to the telegraph paper. Even after the telegraphs were disconnected, they were so charged that messages were still able to be sent.

Nowadays we know that solar flares occur all the time, but it is still acknoledged that what Carrington witnessed was a super-flare with enough light to rival even that of the sun itself, since normally one is not able to see the actual brightening of the solar surface. We also know that the event that occured as a Coronal Mass Ejection, or CME. This means that the sun ejected a massive cloud of material from the solar corona, filled with charged particles that, when the conditions are right, will interact in such a way with the Earth's magnetic field which will cause it to shake and quiver, which in turn cause the massive auroras seen worldwide. This is knows as a Geomagnetic Storm. In the 160 years of recording, the Carrignton event, as it is now known, has never occured at those extremes again and has been found to be an extremely rare event, happening maybe once in half a millennia. Although many scientists caution against relying on such statistics because of how little we know about solar events.

Other times these events have occured include March 13, 1989 when geomagnetic storms disrupted electric power transmission from the Hydro Québec generating station in Canada, causing 6 million people to be without power for 9 hours. Aurora-induced power surges even melted power transformers in New Jersey. In December of 2005, solar events caused a massive disruption among GPS units, although this only lasted for ten minutes. While this may not sound like much, think about being in a commericial aircraft that is being guided into a landing via GPS during those ten minutes.

So what is the worst case scenario? Well that depends on the position of the Interplanetary Magnetic Field (IMF) in relation to the geomagnetic field of the Earth (or magnetosphere). If the two fields have their polarities pointing in the same direction, then the CME is extremely likely to be repelled by the magnetosphere and will pass by without a problem. However, if the two fields have their polarities pointing in opposite directions, or are anti-parrallel, then we have another story.

If this happens, then it is likely that the IMF and magnetosphere will merge, which will connect the Earth's magnetic field to the Sun's. That is what would cause the worldwide auroras, but that is just the start of it. Because of solar wind pressure, the Sun's magnetic field lines will fold around the Earth, sweeping behind our planet. This can cause major problems for any astronauts and unprotected satellites. If left unchecked, satellites could begin to slow down and even lose alltitude.

With satellites on the front lines of the event, the effects would be felt on the ground too. "Due to the X-ray generation of electrons in the ionosphere, some forms of communication may become patchy (or be removed all together), but this isn't all that can happen. Particularly in high-latitude regions, a vast electric current, known as an 'electrojet', may form through the ionosphere by these incoming particles. With an electric current comes a magnetic field. Depending on the intensity of the solar storm, currents may be induced down here on the ground, possibly overloading national power grids" (www.universetoday.com). This is what happened in Quebec in the example mentioned above.

In a report issued by the US National Academy of Sciences, a severe storm could cause over 300 key transformers to fail in about 90 seconds, leaving over 130 people without power, with drinkable water being the next key system to fail. For more on this report, please click this link, which is the article discussing this report that was put on www.newscientist.com. I managed to get a copy of it so none of you have to subscribe for the full article.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AJVLEV6F

The map associated with the article:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w19/ ... i_spw3.jpg

Keep in mind that this article shows the worst of worst scenarios, the "Perfect Storm" of solar events (which is probably the most weather-accurate movies as far as weather disaster films go, by the way).

So, will our sun produce this "Killer Flare" which will wipe out life as we know it? The short answer is: not bloodly likely. While the longer answer is definitely much, much longer, I'll do my best to shorten it.

Could there be a lot of secondary events doing damage to astronauts and satellites along with blackouts? Yes. Could there be a solar event so powerful that it would destroy the Earth? No. Of course there is the possibility of several X-Class flares coming at us and just to top off this "Perfect Storm" cake we may have several CMEs and X-Ray bursts come at us too, but it is extremely unlikely that any of that will be powerful enough to overcome our magnetosphere, ionosphere and thick atmosphere. At the worst national power grids may be overwhelmed by auroral electrojets, much like what happened in Quebec. One can point to what happened on the east coast of the US just a few years ago for what happens because of the power loss.
<center>
Rabid Panda wrote:I've never played brain academy.  I'm smartiful enough already.
</center><center>
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 07:54 AM wrote:
Killjoy @ Feb 4 2011, 11:40 AM wrote:
I3 L 1 N D F0X @ Feb 4 2011, 02:50 AM wrote: Should we be Matrix dodging sarcasm bullets right about now?
Your figurative language maneuvers will not save you.
Probably not, but they will look fucking cool.
</center>
Like

DarkOverord
Family
Joined: 01 Jan 2007, 14:50

07 Sep 2009, 03:37 #19

hahah. Thought you might talk about the Carrington Event :3
Like

Noob
Family
Noob
Family
Joined: 15 Apr 2009, 00:15

07 Sep 2009, 22:07 #20

What would happen to people with metal plates in their appendages? Would they be magnetized too?
Like