Moderators: Falibrand, Fincin, Rosamundi, Diamond, Vydor, Carndan, Valkris

Herb's Jazz Fantasy, by Herbert Harari

10:08 PM - Feb 04, 2011 #1

This is a MIDI that I found that is an original jazz composition by this Herbert Harari person. It was on some MIDI collection website. I stumbled upon it completely by accident when looking for other things. I like this little tune. It's simple, and yet has some really nice dynamics to it, and is a very solid little jazz piece.

Took a little bit of doing to get the volume dynamics right, at least in the ABC Player. I think I got 'em, though.

Band line for this would be clarinet, horn, and lute 1 in the front, as they have the solos, and the other three (harp, theorbo, and lute 2) in back.

EDIT: Replaced the harp part (changed the key, the slightly out-of-sync nature of the part is intentional). Please re-download.

Edit: Adjusted volumes for music update 16.1, I researched the original midi to see if I could get a better sound, but couldn't get it to work any better, so I replaced one of the Lutes with Basic Lute and dropped the Harp, updated headers and compiled into multi-file. ~Diamond

HerbsJazzFantasyMU161_multi5.abc (30.84 KiB)

12:42 AM - Feb 10, 2011 #2

I previewed this song in ABC Player and the harp file seems to have some rogue repeating notes which sound like they're in the wrong key (and wrong timing)... as if you combined two tracks to make the harp part, but one track was transposed differently, or not transposed at all, before merging. When I turned off the harp, the song sounded fine.

6:07 AM - Feb 10, 2011 #3

Not going to get to fixing the harp part tonight.

Sounded good without, though.

9:23 PM - Feb 11, 2011 #4

Replaced the harp part. I put the key back up to the original octave. Sounds fine now, in testing (in the Player). The slightly out-of-sync nature of the part at times is intentional... though I did remove that jarring final cord.

I'm satisfied with the new harp part, and it sounded good. So this can be moved to finished songs.

11:50 PM - Mar 31, 2018 #5

Adjusted volumes for music update 16.1, I researched the original midi to see if I could get a better sound, but couldn't get it to work any better, so I replaced one of the Lutes with Basic Lute and dropped the Harp, updated headers and compiled into multi-file.