tecumseh 6.5hp wont stay running

tecumseh 6.5hp wont stay running

April 20th, 2004, 12:05 am #1

hello: the engine will start after a couple of pulls but will only run for a few seconds. put a new carb and fuel line on it and a new spark plug, but i still have the same problem. it sounds like it runs out of gas. ANY IDEAS? THANKS

BIG ED
BIG ED

April 24th, 2004, 5:54 am #2

MAKE SURE THAT FUEL FLOWS FREELY FROM THE FUEL TANK NO VENT NO FLOW IF FUEL WONT FLOW PULL THE FUEL CAP ALSO CHECK THE TANK FOR ANY DEBRIS

eurolarva
eurolarva

April 24th, 2004, 9:46 am #3

hello: the engine will start after a couple of pulls but will only run for a few seconds. put a new carb and fuel line on it and a new spark plug, but i still have the same problem. it sounds like it runs out of gas. ANY IDEAS? THANKS
Try running it with gas cap loose or removed. If your tank is not venting motor will kill. Also replace your fuel line with new hose. You may have a gummed up fuel line.

June 6th, 2004, 12:38 am #4

Have same prob with a fairly new 4hp B&S and I just bought a complete new carb(pulsajet Plastic)and new cap and ran with cap off too. Starts 1st pull after priming and runs 2-3secs and dies. Every time! Runs good too till it dies like its outta fuel. Sure would like a fix to try here. New diaphram and gasket too. 2 of em I tried.

eurolarva
eurolarva

June 7th, 2004, 2:26 am #5

Maybe try replacing the fuel line and flush out gas tank on motor. Make sure that all fuel lines have tight clamps on them. You may have a partial blockage or you are sucking air from somewhere.

Good luck

everett
everett

June 9th, 2004, 4:04 am #6

the tecumseh carberator is a piece of junk, recently i found a complete mower at the local landfill, took it home what a surprise it was carberator problems. I have worked on so many of these things i'm ready to give them up for good. A bit of info, sometimes after replacing all the parts that are replacable and cleaning all passages the carb can still fail, it has something to do with the little channel that is next to the main tube in the fuel bowl. This section has 2 little check balls in it, the mower i just found looks so clean and new in the fuel bowl i can get it through my head that it's bad, i've taken it apart so many times i'm about to throw the whole thing away. Ordered a new carb the other day from sears and found out that the carb that was on the mower has been discountinued, what a surprise. The new one cost about $60.00 hopefully that's the only thing wrong with it.

victor
victor

October 30th, 2004, 12:52 am #7

starts but dies imediately

feeddog
feeddog

October 30th, 2004, 11:38 pm #8

fuel delivery, clean and check the carb, that means the float and all small orifices. If it has a filter check that.
Can also be miss adjusted mixture screw or low compression.
2 cycles sometimes stall till warm when the rings expand.