Why conlangs attract fewer women than men?

February 15th, 2014, 2:42 pm #1

Hey,

Esperanto community excluded, it seems to be that conlangs doesn't attract women a lot. What could be the reasons for that? Does an conlang needs lot more of songs to attract more women? There are really not much examples where women are active. I only found two excamples:

Dorothea (Slovio).

Alyssa (Interlingua, only 1 year active in 2000); That posting could give some hint to thesis what could attract more women for some conlang.

(Use "per topic:" navigation bar to follow the conversation)

I really wonder. At younger Esperanto community there is 50:50 situation of women and men at online and real world speech events. Have women more motivation to meet and organize real life conlang events?

regards,

February 15th, 2014, 8:15 pm #2

well...
esperanto is most regarded, almost like real language.
then, men like to argue about every single word, women do not need any. they have empathy etc
yes I'm a sexist

February 15th, 2014, 11:10 pm #3

It would go a bit too far to say that language construction is exclusive men's business. A few eminent examples:
* Hildegard von Bingen – Lingua Ignota
* Sally Caves - Teonaht
* Sylvia Sotomayor - Kēlen
* Suzette Haden Elgin - Láadan
* Arthaey Angosii - Asha'ille

There are also a few cases of female creators of international auxiliary languages:
* Wendy Ashby – Glosa
* Staren Fetcey - Kotava

But in general you are right: the M/F rate is far from proportional when it comes to language construction. Another thing is as far as women create languages, it's usually a priori languages, but rarely or never a posteriori languages. I've no idea why that is. Another thing is that languages constructed by women are very often part of something bigger.
Človeku, ktoromu je trudno s soboju samim, verojetno to? bude trudno s vsim inim.

Slovianski - Словянски - Словјански
[čćч]

February 16th, 2014, 10:22 am #4

because more freaks with "unpractical" (considering reasonable time) ideas is among men.
Glasovanje je čista gluposť. Voting is a pure nonsense.
Pi?em slovjansky. I write Slovianski.

http://www.conlangs.fora.pl/index.php
http://steen.free.fr/interslavic/dynami ... onary.html
http://dict.interslavic.com/index.jsp

February 16th, 2014, 11:01 am #5

You forgot Alice Vanderbilt Morris.
Prosim, propravjajte moje pogre?ki.

February 16th, 2014, 11:21 am #6

I really would like find out why that is different situation within younger Esperanto community. There must be some trigger to "push" naturalistic conlangs from status of "online project only" into "decent first" real world speech community.

Somewhat provocative question: Do mostly women only prefer to participate at mainstream (Esperanto) events? (I for myself don't think so.)

At least I remember two other examples where women are or were project leader.

Example one: more or less Veronika is project leader of Muzaiko
Example two: 1th JES mainly organized by two women.

Very gender mixed organizers list of SES, JES and FESTO.

Very gender mixed list of participants of SES, JES and FESTO.

In my opinion there's lot of more younger generation of women who are very, very keen of to pushing "matters" forwards. I'm not sure about that prejudice. But it could be that these women are daughters of women who did grow up inside former communism states where it was expected by society not to hide inside household only. I.e. every women under communist regime had to have some profession. There were no exceptions. That habbit also seems to be given to their daughters. Seems to be that this was very different inside non-communist societies.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

February 16th, 2014, 11:37 am #7

> then, men like to argue about every single word, women do not need
> any. they have empathy

Hhm. Thats interesting. Some time ago I found very well produced radio session clip about topic empathy. But its in German only.

Empathie und Mitgefühl - Bausteine des Überlebens = "Empathy and sympathy - bricks (building blocks) of (some society's) survival"

February 16th, 2014, 11:44 am #8

esra wrote:Do mostly women only prefer to participate at mainstream (Esperanto) events?
Of course. It refers to all other activities as well.
Glasovanje je čista gluposť. Voting is a pure nonsense.
Pi?em slovjansky. I write Slovianski.

http://www.conlangs.fora.pl/index.php
http://steen.free.fr/interslavic/dynami ... onary.html
http://dict.interslavic.com/index.jsp

February 16th, 2014, 12:02 pm #9

But at what point some conlang event can be "sold" like to be some mainstream event? I believe that most participants of Espo events don't travel accross whole Europe due to political "world freedom" reasons only. SES, JES and FESTO are very well established event concepts with mix of capability to stay touristic and have party and apply some conlang at same Espo event. There are even several types of accommodation possible (lowest budget "bring your own sleep equipment" and comfort budget - mostly bunk beds - ones). That concept can be transformed to every other topic. Last couple of years some French Espo folks also organize some kind of mass participants caravan by couch and train to regarding Espo events. That even happens between several Espo events. I once participated on such somewhat chaotic caravan tour. There I learned: Frenchs are the best to organize such caravan tours. They can improvise flexible travel routes excellent :-)

Youtube movie which in the beginning contains sequences of such kind of organized caravan tours.

Why that all should not be not possible for non-Espo events, too? I know, it everytime depends on single persons who push matters forward.

Another point: To build up real world speech community, conlang project leader can only expect that folks who are not consumers only in mind, means folk who feel some internal need to to get involved with some conlang (or maybe politics, too), that these folk will spread and keep alive some conlang.

February 23rd, 2014, 1:56 am #10

Youtube playlist of Esperanto music, youth events and other stuff. Hopefully that gives some ideas how to do build up "real life speech community" of Interslavic or other conlangs.