Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
somerled
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

May 26th, 2005, 4:13 am #1

Newcastle University Medieval Combat Club Newsletter
wrote:What is a Grog?
I am sure that every one has a different idea. A grog is usually a heavy fighter in the SCA. A grog usually comes from Mordenvale. A Grog will pretend to have an IQ of um, less than many. It is a grogs duty to be a shock-troop, and at his leaders command to charge the biggest thing on the field. Most grogs drink. A lot.
How do I become a Grog?
First you must train as a GIT*. You must be an authorized fighter, preferably heavy. You must fight at least one, preferably three or more, Wars wearing a Grog Tabard and fighting as part of the Shield-wall. You must fight a best-of-eleven against the previous grog or a grog of equal skill. If you do something either heroic or idiotic you may earn your grog name.
*What does the asterisk near GIT mean?
A GIT is a Grog in Training. All GITs are GIT number one because we cannot tell the difference between them. Grogs tell the GITs what Ragnar says.
How were Grogs invented?
A grog is a creature from the RPG Ars Magica. It was a humanoid fighter type whose only task was to be slain in droves by uber-powerful wizards. The shield-grog was invented by Boris about eight years ago during his first war in Politarchopolis in which they thought it amusing to pretend to be stupid, uncouth brutes.
How do Grogs Count?
Badly. If a grog is really confused then every number is one. In a war grogs can count to three, because they all know what comes next. Once a grog either becomes a sergeant (good) or a squire (so they can chase archers because they're too scared to fight in the wall) then they learn how to count in the Grogicimal system. This system is base four. Eg, 1, 2, 3, many. Many 1, many 2, many 3, many many.
The decimal 16 equates to lots in the Grogicimal system. Eg 21 is lots, many, 1
The term all of them applies technically to the decimal 64 or higher but can mean any number greater than three at times.
Thus you may hear comments from Grogs like There are many pointy hats over there, I have had lots to drink, and who cares, lets just charge them!
Who are these Grogs?
In no particular order, and even if there are errors or omissions I claim the ever-useful escape clause of Ragnar told me to do it.
Indeterminate grogs:
Jack? Something? Grogus Eucalyptus. For putting his shield up, charging, and wrapping the first thing he hit a tree.
Grogus Pinkus Mistus. For absorbing multiple rounds from the lemming cannon. Also to be confused with Grogus Deadus.
No one seems to remember exactly which of the possibles owns the all to appropriate grog name of Grogus Incognito.

The Scot Scourge from Down Under.

It is right to oppose warmungers , fanatics , fundamentists , neocons , and bigottry.
Join the revolution today, it's time to ditch capitalism , you know you want too. Hug a tree every day , they like it.

Fesarius
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Fesarius
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

May 26th, 2005, 12:41 pm #2

Somerled,

There are a handful of handles in that article alone worthy of snatching....

somerled
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
somerled
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

May 26th, 2005, 5:08 pm #3

Fesarius wrote: Somerled,

There are a handful of handles in that article alone worthy of snatching....
Tradition to invent colourful handles and if possible use a valid coat of arms.

Guess what my handle was ?

The Scot Scourge from Down Under.

It is right to oppose warmungers , fanatics , fundamentists , neocons , and bigottry.
Join the revolution today, it's time to ditch capitalism , you know you want too. Hug a tree every day , they like it.