Moderator: the mule

Technical Questions Answered

Theta9
Veteran Bujavid Security
Theta9
Veteran Bujavid Security

December 8th, 2006, 4:35 pm #1

Does this board automatically expire posts that get too old? I looked into an empty forum and got this message:
wrote:No topics were found. This is either because there are no topics in this forum, or the topics are older than the current age cut-off. 

:unsure:
stePH
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year-old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

the mule
Guild Assassin
the mule
Guild Assassin

December 8th, 2006, 4:37 pm #2

More likely because we haven't put any threads in that particular forum yet. Remember this is still a test site and until the final votes are in we may not populate everything

hrhspence
Tashrid Member
hrhspence
Tashrid Member

December 8th, 2006, 5:50 pm #3

Either there are no posts in that thread or they are more than a month old. If the latter is the case, there is a small window or button at the bottom of the screen that will allow you to pull up older threads.

If this is a problem, I can change the settings so that they show all of the threads regardless of age.
Hani Language Site

Ragi Language Site

Ragi Sketch and Dictionary

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/02

:catspace

Theta9
Veteran Bujavid Security
Theta9
Veteran Bujavid Security

December 8th, 2006, 6:02 pm #4

the mule,Dec 8 2006 wrote:More likely because we haven't put any threads in that particular forum yet. Remember this is still a test site and until the final votes are in we may not populate everything
I understand that it didn't have any posts yet. I am asking if this forum will expire old posts automatically, because the phrase "age cut-off date" was used.

I find it distressing that old posts will not be kept, if that is indeed the case.
stePH
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year-old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Neco the Nightwraith
Hasdrawad Member

December 8th, 2006, 6:04 pm #5

That was always something about InvisionFree that bugged me: it's habit of putting away the older threads when, dammit! I need to look for them. And even when I set it to "Show all topics" it doesn't the moment I navigate anywhere.
What's that in the mirror, or the corner of your eye?
What's that footstep following, but never passing by?
Perhaps they're not just waiting, perhaps when we're all dead,
Out they'll come a-slithering, from underneath the bed...

"Your dren is really frelled up."

hrhspence
Tashrid Member
hrhspence
Tashrid Member

December 8th, 2006, 6:55 pm #6

By retired, they are simply not shown, but when you change the setting at the bottom of the screen, they will show up again. The are not deleted, just not shown.
Hani Language Site

Ragi Language Site

Eupathic Impulse
Veteran Bujavid Security
Eupathic Impulse
Veteran Bujavid Security

December 11th, 2006, 6:11 am #7

One problem with the EZBoard site now that it's folding up is that it seems that it's not easy to export the archives. Is it easier here? It may be too late now but using a solution that's based in something that can be used anywhere, like phpBB forum software, might have been better, in case we eventually have to abandon *this* site in another gazillion years.

selden
Veteran Bujavid Security
selden
Veteran Bujavid Security

December 11th, 2006, 9:42 pm #8

I just realized that the Invision's clock is off by an hour.
I had to change my "timezone" setting to the next one to the west in order to get the correct times displayed.

Can this be reported to their powers-that-be?
Can they be persuaded to fix it?

Those are, of course, two entirely different questions ;)

Sidebar:
I tried to use the Search form in the header to find where I should post technical problems. Sorry: but some of the forum titles and subtitles are just a little too obscure. At any rate, it explained that their search function is not functioning and provided a generic Google search page. It was unable to find posts that I knew existed :( Perhaps Google does not yet have access to Malguri?

Although not a move-stopper, not being able to find postings can make things awkward.
Selden

hrhspence
Tashrid Member
hrhspence
Tashrid Member

December 11th, 2006, 9:59 pm #9

wrote:Is daylight savings time in effect?
(If you have selected the correct time zone and the clock appears an hour out, check or uncheck box to suit)
I must ask if you checked that little box. To find this quote, go to my controls => board settings => time zone
Hani Language Site

Ragi Language Site

selden
Veteran Bujavid Security
selden
Veteran Bujavid Security

December 11th, 2006, 11:59 pm #10

Sorry: you're right. I misread the Controls entry as meaning "does your timezone use DST" in the generic sense: most Fora automatically compensate and don't require that box to be checked and unchecked periodically. :(
Selden