Moderators: Ansikalden, hrhspence

Attempts At Atevi

Neco the Nightwraith
Hasdrawad Member

January 26th, 2017, 12:53 pm #1

Tried to draw an ateva. I don't think I've succeeded all that well. My attempts at making it more alien than a human face have failed, and I think it has skewed the proportions. I haven't figured out quite what I can do to fix it yet.

I think I originally had Banichi in mind, hence the the bull-neck and broad shoulders, but the face just doesn't say "Banichi" to me yet.

What's that in the mirror, or the corner of your eye?
What's that footstep following, but never passing by?
Perhaps they're not just waiting, perhaps when we're all dead,
Out they'll come a-slithering, from underneath the bed...

"Your dren is really frelled up."

BlueCatShip
Hasdrawad Member
BlueCatShip
Hasdrawad Member

January 26th, 2017, 7:14 pm #2

But it's a really good human, hunky guy, aside from his pointed elvish ears. Good elf too. Save that one and do another.

His eyes are more anime proportion than real-life, but that's fine, this is a great drawing.

Try exaggerating the proportions in key places. Borrow from animal bone structures and play around with sketches. Yes, it can be hard to get something that looks alien and true-to-life.

When I've drawn hani by hand, they come out pretty well; strongly influenced by the Michael Whelan and David Cherry covers.

When I've drawn mahendo'sat by hand, results have been mixed. Some of my earliest sketches got them pretty well, but others have been "meh," just wonky, in my own opinion. But that means I want to try again.

When I've tried to draw atevi I have not been satisfied enough with my results, so I know how you feel. Trying to draw something from your imagination sometimes works wonders and sometimes doesn't quite get where you were aiming for. So keep trying.

And, hubba-hubba, he's quite nice, as a human or elf.

(LOL, auto-incorrect tried to change that to "hubby." Hmm.... I guess the spell-checker likes him too! XD )

hrhspence
Tashrid Member
hrhspence
Tashrid Member

January 26th, 2017, 8:10 pm #3

Good start! I would look at variations of humans in different ethnic groups. What makes one look different from another? compare the cheeks of Nordics and Mongolians. Compare the noses of Arabs and Philipinos. Compare the mouths of Papua-New Guineans and Hopi Indians.

Then look at what was done on Avatar and LotR's Gollum.

Now, decide what makes an Ateva different from a Human. Have fun!
Last edited by hrhspence on January 26th, 2017, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hani Language Site

Ragi Language Site

Ragi Sketch and Dictionary

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/02

:catspace

Neco the Nightwraith
Hasdrawad Member

January 27th, 2017, 11:11 am #4

Round 2. Still don't like the eyes much. Probably too big, but I tried the feline look again, with a bit of an epicanthic fold, and of course, something is telling me that that particular eye shape was unusual for atevi, and not the norm, which means I'm going to have to go searching for that tidbit again.

Tried a flatter face with the broad nose and wide, angular cheekbones. Trying to achieve the "planes and angles" that had been hinted at. Looks a bit... thin, I think, but it could work. Forgive the stark lines- I was skull building.

Was doodling and drew teeth. The top set are typical human, the bottom two are just experimental examples of dentition. Playing around with a more predatory look to their teeth.

Neck is probably too short. Going to have to look up general measurements on head size vs shoulder width, if there is such a thing.

Overall, not too bad for a second attempt.

hrhspence
Tashrid Member
hrhspence
Tashrid Member

January 27th, 2017, 2:59 pm #5

I like them both. They look like different members of the same species.
Hani Language Site

Ragi Language Site

Ragi Sketch and Dictionary

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/02

:catspace

Eupathic Impulse
Veteran Bujavid Security
Eupathic Impulse
Veteran Bujavid Security

January 27th, 2017, 9:49 pm #6

But where are the vestigial shoulder gills?

BlueCatShip
Hasdrawad Member
BlueCatShip
Hasdrawad Member

May 5th, 2018, 6:38 pm #7

I _think_ this is the most recent thread where Neco-ji and others were discussing atevi size and proportions. I know there have been others on depth of voice and other such qualities.

While watching a video entitled, "Ontogeny and Neoteny," by TREY the Explainer, who does videos on various speculative and scientific stuff, often on biology, he has a photo of "Kashmir Giants," as an example of hormonal influence on growth and development.

The photo shows two Kashmir men in traditional clothing, taken sometime in the late 1800's to early 1900's, with a possibly European man between them for comparison. The two Indian men are at least two heads taller than the (presumably) Englishman, who was probably between 5 and 6 feet tall, less than 2 meters tall. The Kashmiri men are between 1.5 to 2 times as wide at the waist and shoulders than the English fellow. By contrast, one Kashmir gentleman's hand is resting easily on the English gentleman's shoulder, hardly raised much. The English man's chin comes up to slightly above the waist sash on the two Kashmir men. Their body proportions are a bit longer, but overall, not much out of normal adult proportions. With their turbans, they are closer to three heads taller than the European, who is holding his pith helmet beside him.

It looks much like two atevi men might look with Bren or another human man between them. The traditional garb adds to the effect. The Kashmiri men are dark and handsome; they look formidable.

Here's the video. The photo appears in about the first third of the video.

https://youtu.be/81c5doqGh8A

griffinmoon
Veteran Bujavid Security
griffinmoon
Veteran Bujavid Security

May 6th, 2018, 1:10 am #8

Can't see your pix Neco nadi. Looks like their part of Photobucket & they're not letting them be shared.

Xheralt
Tashrid Member
Xheralt
Tashrid Member

May 6th, 2018, 9:51 pm #9

Yeah they were originally posted before Photobucket pulled its "were going to a purely paid model" crap, and iirc no-one here was willing or able to pay the extortionate fees being demanded. Looks like Neco never relocated the art to a different online repository (instagram, flickr, deviantart, etc.)
"Get in both lanes?" Not a problem, I'm a Gemini!

Asteroids: Nature's way of asking "Hey, how's that space program coming along?"

Neco the Nightwraith
Hasdrawad Member

May 17th, 2018, 10:55 pm #10

To be honest, I'd completely forgotten about it. When I get home I'll see about moving everything over to ingur, which is the one I've chosen for myself and my images. :)