Home - Chapter Eight

Home - Chapter Eight

November 26th, 2006, 2:26 am #1

Belle had just enough time to run back to the Lodge and change her clothes before heading over to her parents place. Now, however, sitting in the back of the cab, jet lag had tightened its grip, and Belle found herself fighting to stay awake. She didn't dare fall asleep, though. Fear of a nightmare of Jan Spears was enough to awaken the dead.

When the cab came to a stop, Belle thrust a twenty dollar bill in the general direction of the cabbie. She couldn't even muster a few words for the man, so she opened up the door and slowly slid out.

The sun had begun to set, just catching the top of the building in which her parents had resided for as long as she could remember. The pink and purple of the setting sun gave a kind of glow to the building. It was either that or her eyes were becoming fuzzy. She pressed the heels of her hands into her eyes and rubbed at her tired eyes.

When she brought her hands down, the doorman was holding the glass door open for her, awaiting her entry.

Belle stepped forward, and in less than twenty seconds, she was on her way to the penthouse. She leaned against the golden railing along the back of the elevator on her ascent. The hum and motion of the elevator, even for the short ride to the top, almost lulled her to sleep. The sudden jolt and generic 'ding' made her eyes shoot open as the door to the penthouse appeared in front of her.

The next few minutes were a blur as the door to the penthouse swung open, Sami standing on the other side of it with a sleeping four-month-old in her arms. A gigantic smile broke out onto her sisters face, but she didn't dare scream. With a baby of her left hip, Sami managed to throw her right arm around her baby sister and whisper, "Let me go put him down, and I'll be right back." She was about to break away when she whispered again, "I've missed you." With a quick kiss on the cheek, she disappeared on the other side of the door and made her way up the winding staircase.

Belle stepped inside and took in the familiar sights. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply the mixed scent of lavender and vanilla.

The swinging door to the kitchen flew open and out came Belle's mother, perfectly coifed, as always.

Belle tossed her purse on the table next to the door and made her way to her mother.

"Hi, mom," Belle said as she wrapped her arms around her mom.

"Oh," Marlena managed through sniffles. "Hi, baby."

She pulled back to better examine her daughter's face. Marlena's blue eyes scanned Belle's face.

"Oh, honey," she started, placing both hands of either side of Belle's face. "You look so tired, sweetheart. You know, we could have rescheduled. You know how your father is. He can be so pushy, and he just had to have you..."

Belle cut her off. "I wanted to be here, mom. I've missed you guys so much." Marlena brought her back to her for another hug.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Belle now sat at the dining room table, full to the brim. The conversation had flowed freely, and it felt like old times. Almost. Sami was much more tolerable now, Belle had noticed.

All plates empty, it was now closing in on ten o'clock, and the conversation was winding down. Until Sami decided there was something that needed to be said.

"So, um, Belle. Heard anything about Shawn lately?"

Belle's head fell backwards, her neck resting on the back of the chair. Part was from exhaustion. The other part, exasperation. This was the last thing in the world she wanted to talk about.

"Nope. And I'd like to keep it that way," Belle said as she brought herself up. She grabbed her plate and was about to seek refuge in the kitchen when Marlena shot her look across the table.

"That can wait, honey. There'll still be water to wash them in the morning."

Belle fell back into her chair again.

"Besides," Marlena started again, "there are some things you should know. There've been some great goings-on around here."

"Sami. Mom. I really don't want to hear about Shawn's..." Belle shuddered. "... goings-on. I could really care less."

"But, Iz," John started.

Oh, great. My whole damn family's against me. Belle dropped her elbows on the table and brought her hands up to her drooping head and began rubbing at the sore spots now forming on her temples.

John began again. "You might be..."

"No, dad," Belle cut him off. "I've had a really long day, and I'm absolutely exhausted. Seeing all of you, along with Mimi's wedding, is going to be the highlight of this trip." Belle pushed her chair back and rose from the table. "Hearing the tiniest thing about Shawn," she rounded the table and kissed each member of her family on the cheek, "would be too much."

She crossed the length of the living room and grabbed her purse she had sat down hours before. She moved more quickly than she would have thought possible. "Now," she said as she grabbed hold of the doorknob and turned back to speak to her family, "I'm going back to my room."

She looked at her sister. "Sami, I'll call you tomorrow, and we can go shopping. I need to buy something for my nephew."

Then to her mother. "Mom, let's do lunch tomorrow."

Next, her father. "Dad, thank you for picking me up today. Before I leave, there's some things I'd like to run by you about my latest line."

She felt like she finally took a breath. "Good night, and I love you."

Without letting them get in as much as a word, Belle shut the door behind her and was gone.

The trio left sitting at the dinner table all looked at each other and burst into laughter.

Between chuckles, Sami finally managed a few words. "Same old, diplomatic Belle."

A faint cry made its way to them from upstairs. As she stood from the table, Sami looked at her mom. "I'll be back in a few minutes to help you with this."

Marlena raised both hands, tossing her napkin on her plate with one hand and used her other hand to wave Sami off. "I'll do it tomorrow."

Then, half to herself, she said, "I have a very important phone call to make right now." She made her way to the phone.

"Marlena," John said as he came up behind her. "Stay out of it."

"What?" Marlena asked, sounding almost innocent. "I just have to call my dear friend Hope."

This time, Belle had fallen asleep in the cab. Luckily, however, the cabbie had been trust-worthy and hadn't robbed her blind or taken her somewhere to be left for dead. She gave him an extra five dollars for his decency.

As she made her way to her room, Belle fumbled her hand around inside her purse searching for the room key. Belle steered herself around the hallways using her diminished peripheral vision. She was lucky she hadn't bumped into anyone. Or worse yet, a set of deer antlers used to decorate. An exhausted and jet-lagged woman and a hunting motif spelled disaster.

She kept her head buried in her purse, determined to find her key before getting to her room so as not to delay sleep.

She finally felt the edge of the key card and grabbed hold only a few doors away from her room.

As she slowly brought her head up, she just caught sight of a young man coming from around another corner.

Shoulders collided and both began to spin before the young man brought his hands up to grasp her upper arms so as to prevent a surely disastrous fall into a lamp made out of more horns.

That must have been a big deer, Belle thought to herself in mid-spin. She was close to delirious at this time.

"Sorry," came a low, whispered voice.

Belle kept her eyes trained on the ground to make sure the world around her had stopped moving.

"It's alright," she managed to get out after a small giggle. "At least you didn't have..." She looked into familiar brown eyes. "...coffee."
Last edited by Sterling1106 on November 26th, 2006, 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 26th, 2006, 4:51 am #2

I can't wait for more! Please continue soon! I love this story!

Thanks!

Holly

"Wherever you go, whoever you love, you have to savor every minute.
Ya know, run out in the snow, stay too long at the beach; Take Chances.
Love completely, and don't be afraid to crash and burn.
Just be alive, and love every minute of it."
-Maxie, GH-

Thanks to Maxie for the sigart!

This beautiful creation by Kelly

Made my Maxie

Made by Maxie

November 26th, 2006, 4:45 pm #3

Belle had just enough time to run back to the Lodge and change her clothes before heading over to her parents place. Now, however, sitting in the back of the cab, jet lag had tightened its grip, and Belle found herself fighting to stay awake. She didn't dare fall asleep, though. Fear of a nightmare of Jan Spears was enough to awaken the dead.

When the cab came to a stop, Belle thrust a twenty dollar bill in the general direction of the cabbie. She couldn't even muster a few words for the man, so she opened up the door and slowly slid out.

The sun had begun to set, just catching the top of the building in which her parents had resided for as long as she could remember. The pink and purple of the setting sun gave a kind of glow to the building. It was either that or her eyes were becoming fuzzy. She pressed the heels of her hands into her eyes and rubbed at her tired eyes.

When she brought her hands down, the doorman was holding the glass door open for her, awaiting her entry.

Belle stepped forward, and in less than twenty seconds, she was on her way to the penthouse. She leaned against the golden railing along the back of the elevator on her ascent. The hum and motion of the elevator, even for the short ride to the top, almost lulled her to sleep. The sudden jolt and generic 'ding' made her eyes shoot open as the door to the penthouse appeared in front of her.

The next few minutes were a blur as the door to the penthouse swung open, Sami standing on the other side of it with a sleeping four-month-old in her arms. A gigantic smile broke out onto her sisters face, but she didn't dare scream. With a baby of her left hip, Sami managed to throw her right arm around her baby sister and whisper, "Let me go put him down, and I'll be right back." She was about to break away when she whispered again, "I've missed you." With a quick kiss on the cheek, she disappeared on the other side of the door and made her way up the winding staircase.

Belle stepped inside and took in the familiar sights. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply the mixed scent of lavender and vanilla.

The swinging door to the kitchen flew open and out came Belle's mother, perfectly coifed, as always.

Belle tossed her purse on the table next to the door and made her way to her mother.

She pulled back to better examine her daughter's face. Marlena's blue eyes scanned Belle's face.

"Oh, honey," she started, placing both hands of either side of Belle's face. "You look so tired, sweetheart. You know, we could have rescheduled. You know how your father is. He can be so pushy, and he just had to have you..."

Belle cut her off. "I wanted to be here, mom. I've missed you guys so much." Marlena brought her back to her for another hug.

Belle now sat at the dining room table, full to the brim. The conversation had flowed freely, and it felt like old times. Almost. Sami was much more tolerable now, Belle had noticed.

All plates empty, it was now closing in on ten o'clock, and the conversation was winding down. Until Sami decided there was something that needed to be said.

Belle's head fell backwards, her neck resting on the back of the chair. Part was from exhaustion. The other part, exasperation. This was the last thing in the world she wanted to talk about.

"Nope. And I'd like to keep it that way," Belle said as she brought herself up. She grabbed her plate and was about to seek refuge in the kitchen when Marlena shot her look across the table.

"Besides," Marlena started again, "there are some things you should know. There've been some great goings-on around here."

"Sami. Mom. I really don't want to hear about Shawn's..." Belle shuddered. "... goings-on. I could really care less."

"But, Iz," John started.

Oh, great. My whole damn family's against me. Belle dropped her elbows on the table and brought her hands up to her drooping head and began rubbing at the sore spots now forming on her temples.

"No, dad," Belle cut him off. "I've had a really long day, and I'm absolutely exhausted. Seeing all of you, along with Mimi's wedding, is going to be the highlight of this trip." Belle pushed her chair back and rose from the table. "Hearing the tiniest thing about Shawn," she rounded the table and kissed each member of her family on the cheek, "would be too much."

She crossed the length of the living room and grabbed her purse she had sat down hours before. She moved more quickly than she would have thought possible. "Now," she said as she grabbed hold of the doorknob and turned back to speak to her family, "I'm going back to my room."

She looked at her sister. "Sami, I'll call you tomorrow, and we can go shopping. I need to buy something for my nephew."

Next, her father. "Dad, thank you for picking me up today. Before I leave, there's some things I'd like to run by you about my latest line."

Without letting them get in as much as a word, Belle shut the door behind her and was gone.

The trio left sitting at the dinner table all looked at each other and burst into laughter.

Between chuckles, Sami finally managed a few words. "Same old, diplomatic Belle."

A faint cry made its way to them from upstairs. As she stood from the table, Sami looked at her mom. "I'll be back in a few minutes to help you with this."

Marlena raised both hands, tossing her napkin on her plate with one hand and used her other hand to wave Sami off. "I'll do it tomorrow."

Then, half to herself, she said, "I have a very important phone call to make right now." She made her way to the phone.

"What?" Marlena asked, sounding almost innocent. "I just have to call my dear friend Hope."

This time, Belle had fallen asleep in the cab. Luckily, however, the cabbie had been trust-worthy and hadn't robbed her blind or taken her somewhere to be left for dead. She gave him an extra five dollars for his decency.

As she made her way to her room, Belle fumbled her hand around inside her purse searching for the room key. Belle steered herself around the hallways using her diminished peripheral vision. She was lucky she hadn't bumped into anyone. Or worse yet, a set of deer antlers used to decorate. An exhausted and jet-lagged woman and a hunting motif spelled disaster.

She kept her head buried in her purse, determined to find her key before getting to her room so as not to delay sleep.

She finally felt the edge of the key card and grabbed hold only a few doors away from her room.

As she slowly brought her head up, she just caught sight of a young man coming from around another corner.

Shoulders collided and both began to spin before the young man brought his hands up to grasp her upper arms so as to prevent a surely disastrous fall into a lamp made out of more horns.

That must have been a big deer, Belle thought to herself in mid-spin. She was close to delirious at this time.

Belle kept her eyes trained on the ground to make sure the world around her had stopped moving.

"It's alright," she managed to get out after a small giggle. "At least you didn't have..." She looked into familiar brown eyes. "...coffee."
WOW!!! You cannot leave us there! How can you leave us hanging like that??!!!

I want to know what John, Marlena and Sami were trying to tell Belle. What could the 3 of them possibly have to tell her. Not that he's engaged to Jan because they know that would hurt her. It must be something good. It must be the real reason that Jan's supposedly engaged to Shawn.

Next, I can't believe Shawn happened to be at Belle's hotel and he happened to crash into her. Maybe that's the call that Marlena made? To tell Hope to tell Shawn to go to Belle's hotel. Or it might just be fate!

Anyways, I absolutely cannot wait for more! You need to get another chapter of this posted ASAP! You cannot leave it there for too long or I'll go into withdrawl, lol. Seriously, post more soon please! I love this story!

Thanks Kelly for the Modern Shelle banner.
Thanks Jessica for the Shelle, Bope and Jarlena banner.
Thanks Chantal for the Jason Cook banner.
Thanks Belle for the NuShelle, the Brandon Beemer, the Scrubs and the Mabby banners.
Thanks Tracey for the Classic, Modern and NuShelle banner.

November 27th, 2006, 2:00 am #4

"But, Iz," John started.

Please post more soon!