The loss of a great

Discuss Non-Shark & Ray Topics Here.

The loss of a great

biggiesmalls
Bonnethead
biggiesmalls
Bonnethead

15 May 2017, 18:23 #1

Any members from southeastern NC should check this out. Below is a direct excerpt, in red:

WILMINGTON, N.C. - Police say the owner of the Cape Fear Serpentarium in Wilmington was shot to death and his wife is charged with murder.

Local media reports snake expert Dean Ripa was killed Saturday in an apartment above the downtown attraction. Wilmington police spokeswoman Cathryn Lindsay says 40-year-old Regina Ripa is charged with first-degree murder in her husband's death.

The website for the New Hanover County Detention shows Regina Ripa is being held without bond with a court appearance scheduled for Monday.

The serpentarium's website says 60-year-old Dean Ripa had survived 12 venomous snake bites. He founded the serpentarium in 2001.

There are other articles around if you want more information. Dean was a great guy, and so was his wife. I was in there last Thursday, wish I would've known that it was the last time I'd ever see him (and her). The entire situation is terrible - they have a toddler son, and now all the animals need somebody to care for them.

I'm going to talk to whomever is in charge of the serpentarium at this point and see if they mind a GoFundMe being created. If not, I'll post it here and around, hopefully it will raise a bit of money to help them continue to care for the animals while they get things sorted out a bit.

Not sure if anybody here knew Dean or ever visited the Serpentarium, but figured I would post this here for anyone who has.
-Drew
"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow"

krj-1168
Great White Shark
krj-1168
Great White Shark

15 May 2017, 19:17 #2

Wow - I can't say I knew him because I didn't. Still I have visited the Serpentarium a couple of times.

Hopefully he made some plans on who to pass on the Serpentarium to - in case. IF not -hopefully it will find a new owner very soon.
Bigger is Better - especially with shark tanks

biggiesmalls
Bonnethead
biggiesmalls
Bonnethead

15 May 2017, 23:00 #3

I would imagine he had plans made up, he's a smart guy. There are other people working here, so I'm sure one of them will end up taking over. I'll probably head down this weekend to see how everything's going, and if they need any extra help
"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow"

krj-1168
Great White Shark
krj-1168
Great White Shark

16 May 2017, 03:31 #4

Definitely keep us posted on the situation.

While this is not exactly shark or ray related - it does concern animals. Seriously he was able to take the animals he loved, and help educated the public about them. Which is truly awesome.
Bigger is Better - especially with shark tanks

biggiesmalls
Bonnethead
biggiesmalls
Bonnethead

16 May 2017, 11:32 #5

Yeah, he kept quite a collection - I believe they have 54 exhibits, which is like 3 crocodilians, maybe 6 lizards, 15 nonvenomous snakes, and then 30 venomous snakes. All of his animals look great too - he cared for them very well.

His wife used to always do free tours for schools and anybody that came through. She knew almost everything about almost every animal in there.